Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Sarah's Story

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, leFay said:

That flowered shirt she's wearing while making the Tater Crap Casserole?
I have that shirt! 
I don't think I'll ever be able to wear the shirt again!
*runs out back to the river to drown it*

Ha! It might come in handy if you ever feel the need to binge ?... just look at it and the feeling would disappear.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, AntAnn said:

Ha! It might come in handy if you ever feel the need to binge ?... just look at it and the feeling would disappear.

I just might do this! I bought it from a "plus size online retailer" in the smallest size it came in (14/16)... that still gives me no comfort...

• Love 1
On 4/5/2018 at 12:15 PM, TVWatcher12 said:

3. I wish Dr. Now would stop saying these people need “support” (ie move to Houston). The suppprt they have received is what has gotten them into this mess

But if he did surgery on someone, knowing that they had no one to provide post-op care, I'd think he would be responsible for providing the support.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:32 PM, auntjess said:

Would it make the stairs too narrow?  And unless it was attached to the beams/studs, it might give a false sense of security for someone heavy.

Was it Nikki the costume designer who scooted up and down the stairs?

1.  No, the stairway is fine widthwise. We had a pro install the second railing for my brother, who only has one arm and is weak on the side with the missing arm.  This way he always has a railing on his good side.

2.  Nikki walked/climbed up the stairs.  The chair was probably for her brother, Chris. And we know her daddy used the chair to send up her pre breakfast meal of donuts and soda, possibly the worst bit of enabling ever.

• Love 1
On 4/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, auntjess said:

But if he did surgery on someone, knowing that they had no one to provide post-op care, I'd think he would be responsible for providing the support.

Doctors are not responsible for post op care. If a patient needs post op care , it is whoever signs when the patient leaves the hospital like the person giving them a ride home is responsible, or if there is no one and much care is needed , a rehab facility might step in. My mom has had several surgeries orthopedic and neurosurgery and I have argued with doctors about post surgical care. I was very scared because I have health issues of my own to sign to be responsible for my mom 24/7 for 2 weeks when she refused to live at my house. All they seem to care about is someone signs responbility when the patient leaves or the patient goes to a care/rehab facility post op. The liability is off the doctor once someone else signs. If no one showed up for one of Dr. Now's patients I'm sure he has a go to rehab facility. We have seen several patients go to these. 

Steven Assanti did not have family stay in Houston, he had them stay a few days post op and then went home with that health aide helping him. While we all can know why no one wanted to stay with Steven for a year, most of the patients would be better off without someone there full time. 

Sara could drive and walk short distances. Her mom could have stayed for the surgery, maybe 2 weeks and then left. Sarah had never been on her own, she could have focused on going to the gym, meeting new friends and starting her life. 

Plus why do these people move to Houston before they are approved. Sarah lived there 4 months before surgery, it seems like this season it has been 3-5 months to get people approved. Can't Dr. Now meet with them once and then have a local doctor weigh them and do bloodwork/tests to to like a preliminary ok for the patient to be ready for surgery? It would not be a 100% approval but if you have gained 11lbs you would not move to Houston. If you lost 50lbs and had good tests results then it might be a more solid reason to move. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, silverspoons said:

Can't Dr. Now meet with them once and then have a local doctor weigh them and do bloodwork/tests to to like a preliminary ok for the patient to be ready for surgery? It would not be a 100% approval but if you have gained 11lbs you would not move to Houston. If you lost 50lbs and had good tests results then it might be a more solid reason to move. 

I think a lot of this is for the TV show.  Of course it would be better to do the weight loss first, but there'd be less drama.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, silverspoons said:

Doctors are not responsible for post op care. If a patient needs post op care , it is whoever signs when the patient leaves the hospital like the person giving them a ride home is responsible, or if there is no one and much care is needed , a rehab facility might step in. My mom has had several surgeries orthopedic and neurosurgery and I have argued with doctors about post surgical care. I was very scared because I have health issues of my own to sign to be responsible for my mom 24/7 for 2 weeks when she refused to live at my house. All they seem to care about is someone signs responbility when the patient leaves or the patient goes to a care/rehab facility post op. The liability is off the doctor once someone else signs. If no one showed up for one of Dr. Now's patients I'm sure he has a go to rehab facility. We have seen several patients go to these. 

Steven Assanti did not have family stay in Houston, he had them stay a few days post op and then went home with that health aide helping him. While we all can know why no one wanted to stay with Steven for a year, most of the patients would be better off without someone there full time. 

Sara could drive and walk short distances. Her mom could have stayed for the surgery, maybe 2 weeks and then left. Sarah had never been on her own, she could have focused on going to the gym, meeting new friends and starting her life. 

Plus why do these people move to Houston before they are approved. Sarah lived there 4 months before surgery, it seems like this season it has been 3-5 months to get people approved. Can't Dr. Now meet with them once and then have a local doctor weigh them and do bloodwork/tests to to like a preliminary ok for the patient to be ready for surgery? It would not be a 100% approval but if you have gained 11lbs you would not move to Houston. If you lost 50lbs and had good tests results then it might be a more solid reason to move. 

The actor who played the dad from the Home Alone movies had surgery and then checked himself into a local hotel with nobody to accompany him. He died alone.