Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Galileo908

S29.E13: 3 Scenes Plus a Tag From A Marriage

That Bil Plympton bit at the beginning was great.

Damn, that whole MCU bit was great. "Why does Jeremy Renner need TWO assistants?" The true villain of the MCU being Uncle Ben is a twist so dumb I wouldn't doubt Marvel doing it.

I liked that the apartment they visited was the actual one from Lisa's First Word. It was sweet to actually see how they filled in the gap where they got their first apartment and when Bart and Lisa were conceived. Then again, Bart's story contradicts I Married Marge (and every other story of Bart's conception). Marge still lived at Home. Having Lisa to calm down Bart thanks to a church video makes sense in a Simpsony way, but I still call bullcrap It was cool to see 70s-Early 80s(ish) Springfieldians. Bleeding Gums Muphy AND Sideshow Bob being at Homer & Lisa's party is where I called BS. Was that Kearney with hair I spotted at that party?

Loved seeing JK Simmons again as Not-J Jonah Jameson again.

"What about the story of how Maggie was born?"
"We told you that story."
"How about the dog?"
"Found him at Christmas."
"What about the cat?"
"Who cares?"

I liked that little tag at the end. Seeing Grampa's sperm is something I didn't need to see, but one of Jasper's showing up made up for it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Then again, Bart's story contradicts I Married Marge (and every other story of Bart's conception). Marge still lived at Home. 

I'm not sure why they would do that either ? Do the new writers just not bother to look at previous episodes ?

This episode was worth it just for Krusty the Klown and Mister Teenie in the 'Queasy Rider' movie.

• Like 1

There seemed to be more background signage gags than usual today. I was doing a lot of pausing and rewinding.

• Like 2

The scene with Homer's sperm made me laugh out loud, especially when the one questions the glasses, and the other retorts that the sweater and the saxophone are apparently OK.

• Like 2

Movies at the Capital City Googolplex Theaters:
-- Transformers: Fatigue
-- Marvel: Letters to the Editor
-- Reboot: Origins
-- Disney's "The Teacup Ride"
-- The Lego Get Out Movie
-- Snapchat Filters: The Movie
-- Filleting Dory
-- Alexa vs. Siri
-- Pirates 6: The Lost Treasure of Johnny Depp

Marvel screen credits:
-- Mr. Downey Jr.'s moustache by Frederico's of Hollywood
-- Mr. Ruffalo's anger coach by Edge 'Rage' Raginsky
-- Hawkeye's Action Expert by None Necessary
-- Scarlett Johansson's wardrobe by Madam Latex
-- So-called 'Iron Man' may contain traces of tungsten
-- Stan Lee created by Stan Lee's parents
-- Nothing in this film was Made in America
-- Fonts by Mr. Helvetica except where .....

Evil Uncle Ben: "With great power comes no responsibilty."

Storefronts in the old beef-rendering district of Capital City:
-- Pressed Pants and Juice
-- House of Ale
-- House of Kale
-- Olive Oil and Bow Ties
-- $400 T-shirts
-- $50 shoelaces
-- Just this Bicycle
-- Umbilical Cord Jewelry
-- Harvey Plaqueworth & Sons

Storefronts in Springfield (in addition to Amazon):
-- The Non-Internet Cafe
-- Nitrogen-Cooled Pasta
-- Comics 'N' Coffee
-- Starbark's Canine Cappuccinos

Magazines for Marge at their old apartment
-- Blue Hair Monthly
-- Subscriptions Weekly (with Timely, Dollar$, The Ghost of Newsweek and Peephole magazines on the cover)
-- Rolling Scone
-- Obsessive Mothering

In a prior episode, I seem to recall that when Homer found out Marge was pregnant with Bart he tore out his hair and ran out of the room.
And then when he found out that Marge was pregnant with Lisa, he tore out more hair and ran from the room.  but none of that seems to have happened because Homer had a full head of hair after Lisa was born.

And the really odd thing is that everyone from Springfield seemed to be living in Capital City at the time Homer and Marge were living in that building and partying hard.  Which also makes no sense.  Or that Capital City is a loooooong way from Springfield to just drive there to see a movie.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

In a prior episode, I seem to recall that when Homer found out Marge was pregnant with Bart he tore out his hair and ran out of the room.
And then when he found out that Marge was pregnant with Lisa, he tore out more hair and ran from the room.  but none of that seems to have happened because Homer had a full head of hair after Lisa was born.

That was from And Maggie Makes Three, which contradicts how Homer found out about Bart (through an appointment with Dr. Hibbert) and Lisa ("We're gonna start doing it in the morning?"), plus apparently they lived in their current house before they had kids. At least this ep has their apartment from Lisa's First Word. So I'm fine with that episode not being acknowledged here.

Edited by Galileo908

Even more confusing -- the Springfield Googolplex has 28 screens, but the Capital City Googolplex only has 9 screens, and Capital City is much bigger than Springfield.

I didn't really care for the opening cartoon/couch gag.

4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm not sure why they would do that either ? Do the new writers just not bother to look at previous episodes ?

The show has always been fast and loose with 'origin stories' of the Simpsons. There's been a ton. I thought that was the point of the movie scene in the opening. You're talking about Bart being born in the late 70s based on this episode. The point was about how families decide on whether to have children. 

I had a huge laugh when Marge was talking to the newspaper editor and there was a framed headline about how the university got level for the nuclear plant.

• Like 1

This show is unwatchable.  Garbage like this episode is a terrible insult to their earlier, fantastic, seasons.

Horrible.  Put it out of its misery already.

"Marge, I have two and a half words for you: Gulp N Blow."

• Like 1

The Simpsons has always been terrible with continuity.  It's like a joke that they don't even try to work with it.  So I wouldn't expect anything different.  I just kinda pretended these different timelines just took place in different universes.

There seemed to be more freeze frame fun than usual.

• Like 1

I didn't really care for the opening cartoon/couch gag.

I don't care for any of the couch gags. At least not those of recent seasons. It's not because they're terrible, they're really not. It's because they are the most vivid reminder of how this show has been phoning it in for years. There is more effort and care put into creating those gags than there is the actual episode. 

It was cool to see 70s-Early 80s(ish) Springfieldians.

You're talking about Bart being born in the late 70s based on this episode.

Where are people getting that from? It seemed fairly obvious that the flashbacks took place a decade ago (as it of course would, as Bart is 10), meaning Homer and Marge were a fun loving, childless, married couple circa 2007. The only thing that screamed an earlier date was Dr Hibbert inexplicably being dressed as Purple Rain-era Prince. 

I get people being bothered by the ret-cons that have occurred over the years. It is strange, but the show has been on so long that of course they are going to have to change time periods for certain events. Marge and Homer obviously can no longer be members of the class of 1974, as they were in the first flashback episodes. What really bothers me is how lazy they get by deciding that suddenly all these characters are basically the same age now. Characters like Moe, Kent Brockman, and others should not be in the same age group as Homer and Marge. I daresay, it's getting to be that at some point even Mr Burns will be portrayed as a contemporary of Homer's.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Like 1

I'm not bothered by it, but the fashions in the house party that Marge and Homer threw were clearly 70s era. 

• Like 1

The only thing that really bugged me is that Milhouse and Bart are supposed to be around the same age, but it when Bart attacked Kirk, there were no signs that I could see of the Van Houtens having a child or of Luann being pregnant with Milhouse.  I mean, they could have just left him at home, but it looked like Kirk was innocent in the ways of babies. 

• Like 1

I'm not bothered by it, but the fashions in the house party that Marge and Homer threw were clearly 70s era. 

I went back and watched, and that just isn't the case. Unless cargo shorts were much bigger in the 70's than I remember. That was what Barney was wearing. And both Kirk Van Houten and Reverend Lovejoy were wearing skinny jeans with black Chuck Taylor All-Stars. People have of course been wearing All-Stars for a very long time, but I highly doubt anyone was rocking them at a house party in the 70's. They definitely weren't wearing skinny jeans.

On the other hand, Smithers and Apu were dressed sort of 80's-ish. Smithers was rather preppy in his Polo Shirt with the sweater tied around his neck. And Apu for some reason was wearing a red leather jacket, not unlike Michael Jackson.

Edited by reggiejax

I respectfully disagree, although it certainly wasn't 2007, so I think the overall point is still valid.

Edited by ganesh