Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E09: Week 9 : The Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

Looks to me that James got the Dance of Death (always seems to get the lowest scores across all couples).  

I am intrigued by the description given for Derek's Macy's choreo.  I'll be stunned if it ends up being accurate.  :)

Before the show starts, any predictions on who may be in jeopardy? I think they might give us a Charlie and Meryl in jeopardy scenario tonight with either James or Candace as the 3rd. This is based on zero scientific fact or number analysis. LOL 

Before the show starts, any predictions on who may be in jeopardy? I think they might give us a Charlie and Meryl in jeopardy scenario tonight with either James or Candace as the 3rd. This is based on zero scientific fact or number analysis. LOL 

I'm kind of worried all the Charlie/Meryl fans voted for Meryl, and he's a shocking elimination. Hopefully I'm wrong, and it's James. 

I think it could be Charlie too, kitcloudkicker. Of course I said that last week and was wrong. Let's hope I am wrong again! It is James' time to go. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the song and the Fox Trot.  However, the song NewYork, New York was composed by John Kander, with lyrics by Fred Ebb. Although it was written for Liza Minnelli, it did not become popular until Frank Sinatra performed it in 1978 at Radio City Music Hall.  (Just wanted to give proper credit. Sorry if that sounds bitchy).

No idea who is going home.  I don't have a favorite...James is probably the next to go---or maybe Candace?  I have no idea why this season is less interesting to me.  

Edited by gryphon

I think charlie is going home, sadly, and if that happens I will be pissed.

I'm so tired of the fawning over Amy. Oprah? Really? Phone call from oprah, the "when you win", go home already.

• Love 3

Amy/Derek, Charlie/Sharna, and Meryl/Maks all in jeopardy.  

Beyond revolting that James/Peta and Candace/Mark are safe.  This is total bullshit.

Also, could Kenny Ortega's tongue be lodged any further up Derek's ass?

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh well if Oprah says "when" Amy wins....I guess after CAI's "slip" it just may be so.  Yawnzees. 

I am afraid for Charlie, I'd rather see Maks go (sorry Meryl).

ETA:  I'm happy for Candace, I hope her finale includes the cast of Full House for John Stamos alone.

Edited by Bavct

I'm so tired of the fawning over Amy. Oprah? Really? Phone call from oprah, the "when you win", go home already.

Everyone got a visit from an "inspirational" figure. It's the schtick of the show this week. This seems like a strange thing to get mad at. 

I'm going to be so, so sad if it's Amy, but now my Charlie worries feel even more founded. 

• Love 2

Sorry. James. cannot. dance. at. all.

He should be gone. And I'm sick of Carrie Ann's tongue bath of him. Yuck.

Amy really was great. This is the best I've seen from her. 

I'm afraid Charlie is going home and that makes me sad. 

I'm hoping Meryl goes through but I'm cringing at the thought of Mad Maks. I like him but not when he's acting like a two year old. 

• Love 2

Gee, I guess Maks/Meryl and Charlie/Sharna should have been bribing their fans to game the system, too? 

I miss all the good stuff.  Who was bribing the fans?  I could have tossed a few votes at someone to get a prize.  What was Candace bribing with  - a blinged King James? 

• Love 3

Everyone got a visit from an "inspirational" figure. It's the schtick of the show this week. This seems like a strange thing to get mad at. 

I'm going to be so, so sad if it's Amy, but now my Charlie worries feel even more founded.

Ah, sorry. I tuned in late and keep missing parts so I missed the inspirational figures part. I see Meryl and Yamaguchi now. I get it now! At first I was like "More special treatment for Amy" *Yawn*

(edited)

I don't get James and Candace being safe at all.

And you just know Meryl or Charlie is going home tonight because there's no way Amy is going with all the fawning everyone does over her.

And apparently it's give everyone a 10 night. The judges just really abdicate any responsibility at all don't they?

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 4

Oh Maks - this is why I don't like you and hope you go home.  

You can't handle the pressure of having the best dancer? Poor thing - go home. I hope you can find a real choreographer for the finale if you make it so you don't screw it up for what - the 3rd time?  

I'm as tired of the bestest-est ever friendship that ever bested with M/M as I am the most inspirational inspiration that ever inspired in D/A.

And, I'm going to vote my fat little fingers off for Candace since she's the only one who didn't get fed from the 10 candy jar.

• Love 2

I miss all the good stuff.  Who was bribing the fans?  I could have tossed a few votes at someone to get a prize.  What was Candace bribing with  - a blinged King James? 

James and Peta were tweeting that they'd give away signed pictures to any fans who could show proof they voted for them 1,000 times last week. 

James and Peta were tweeting that they'd give away signed pictures to any fans who could show proof they voted for them 1,000 times last week. 

Oh, I thought it was something actually good worthwhile :)

• Love 5

How... tacky. I've never been in love with them but I've never been overly bothered by them, but there's something about that blatant air of desperation that I don't know if I should applaud their honesty or recoil. I'm kind of doing both. Like, "Good for you, but that's like white shoes after Labor Day."

• Love 1

Oh, I thought it was something actually good worthwhile :)

For real.  Signed pictures?  Really?

• Love 1

What heights of desperation will he reach now that he's made the finals? So either he or Amy will bring home the mirror ball right? Because that would be the maraschino cherry on this season of ridiculousness.

• Love 1

What in the actual hell?  If it was anyone other than Derek and Amy who just spent 90 percent of their dance with the star sitting/lying on a table? Oh here go hell come.  At least CAI pointed out the beyond blatant out of sync issue (she was, what, 4 beats ahead of him for a bit?)  Everyone else got down on their knees and kissed Derek's ass. 

• Love 9

CAI - you are wondering why "this" is happening tonight (ie - the bottom 3)?  Maybe it's because of the ridiculous overscoring of your little boy fantasy James?  Oh and the fan vote which lately has been going against all the bullshit you, Larry and Mo toss out there every week (see: Bill Engvall). 

I understand it's hard to deal with the bottom 3 but there really is no need for the judges or Tom (which surprised me) to harp on it as much as they are, there have been worse people in the finals than Candace and James.  

I would be quite happy with either Maks or Derek going home (since he will be so busy redefining choreography for this generation).

• Love 2

Admittedly I don't know Rhumba or Rumba but how is that mess I just saw from James and Peta a Rhumba but not Charlie or Meryl's? (They both got dinged pretty bad for lack of Rumba content) 

And Amy and Derek were out of sync a couple of times. The table was... I can't even go there. 

I have no words for Kenny Ortega's remark about Derek. I'm going to put it in the trash bin of my brain along with bad movie sequels. 

I did like Candace and Mark's jazz number though. And Charlie did his best but the boy just can't do gangsta IMO. I've seen worse. LOL

I can deal with anyone in the final but not James. My husband is even telling him to tuck his butt. He looked like Woody in Toy Story just now to me.

Wow.  Peta did a rumba and didn't come out with her in her undies and James in boxer briefs.  That may be the shock of the season. CAI might want to grab a hold of her dignity, though.  "I've been waiting for you to do a rumba!" and going on about James being a naturally sexual person?  Honey, please. Just...stop. 

• Love 2

I think Amy's very inspirational, but how do you pull 3 10s when you mess up the leg synchronicity on a dance sitting on a table that is entirely based on synchronicity? 

And, James' dedication to Peta made me sick in my mouth just a little.

And, and . . . Erin said "money shot."   Heh, heh!

• Love 3

I don't know anything about dance, but I know that I enjoy watching James.  I think some of us don't want to see all the Olympic ringers in the finale, but also, I don't enjoy Charlie ever.  He seems like a nice guy, but his dancing does not engage me.  I have a hard time even paying attention when he's on the screen.  He seems so boring and vanilla to me.  Meryl is just off.  I don't get her or her personality or something.  Neither of them click for me.  

Missed the whole show and didn't bother setting the DVR, so shows how much I care. I saw Meryl's VW and while she looked beautiful, I'm surprised none of the judges are mentioning her outfit. I thought those boots were a mistake for a VW because with that already ugly, poofy skirt, it was very hard to see her feet and the boots made it almost impossible. 

For the first time ever....shut the fuck up Tom. 

Now - I want either Candace or James to win.  I'm so sick to death of the "we can't believe that the 3 Olympians are in jeopardy" bullshit. 

Keep putting James and Candace down more and whichever Olympians (who apparently are the only ones who deserve to be in the final) end up safe will have the voting public turn on them more. 

• Love 1

So used to posting rules for TWOP, I've been taking notes instead of posting as we go along....

So, Candace.  I think she's been successful as a subpar dancer because she hasn't overplayed the religious thing.  However, she was dancing for God this week, and we'll see what comes of that.  I loved her waltz, and was a bit chagrinned that she messed it up so thoroughly.  At least she kept her feet moving.  The jazz was just lukewarm, at best.  The choreo had SO much potential (resurgent Mark!), and she was just a little too careful.

James was propped with the scores on the first dance.  Can I say that of all things, the costuming for the rumba was the among the most modest we've seen from Peta all season?  It was nice to just focus on the dancing, which was pretty darn good.

Meryl/Maks -- they BROUGHT it this week.  I loved their Viennese waltz -- just wow.  Liked their cha cha, as well, but that last dance blew the roof off.  I cannot believe we are experiencing the after effects of frickin Abby Lee Miller a week later.  She needs to go back under rock and never reemerge.

Felt like the judges know something in their comments for Charlie.  Nitpicking.  His foxtrot was elegant and  maybe a little too skate-y at the end.  I really wanted more of a dance flourish.

Also felt like the Derek tongue bath was also a eulogy.  As for their "jazz," why not try a table dance?  The stool got them a perfect score, so what the heck?

Amy left me pretty darned cold tonight.  Her big smile after Candace so obviously screwed up her waltz was off-putting.  Her very opportunistic choice of Oprah as her inspirational figure?  Really?  How so?  And where were those blades all season?  They worked quite well in the quickstep -- are you telling me they couldn't be used at all during the rest of the season? 

Results are imminent....

• Love 2
(edited)

3 10s for Amy? What in the actual fuck? I hate you, show.

James is super attractive to me but CAI is reaching desperation level. My mom texted me that someone needs to hose her ass down.

Oh, look, another trip to the finals for Derek. 

All the votes go to Meryl and Candace.

Edited by againstthewind
  • Love 4
(edited)

Bye Charlie and Sharna.  What a crock.

ETA: Don't think for a second that Meryl and Maks were also bottom two.  They were "not necessarily" according to Tom.

Edited by msburg
  • Love 2

I don't know--I guess everyone did just OK, no train wrecks, some flubs, but pretty lackluster.  The upshot was James looked better, even if he really wasn't.  I'm tempted to blame late season fatigue. Nice to see Charlie incorporate some spinning and jumping.

Thought the Stars of Dance number was pre-taped at first.  Nice camera work and scenery moving, crew. Pretty impressive.

So Candice plays the God card, and evidently has a Christian voting base, and James has a pretty boy pop group voting base? Because it was surprising to see them both advance.  Expected Amy to get there.  Meryl and Charlie both deserved to be there.

After watching the whole damn season, dunno if I want to watch this finale.

• Love 1

Total bullshit.  Of course, Charlie is adorable even in defeat.  

I can't wait to see what piece of furniture Amy spends 90 percent of her freestyle on next week.  The kitchen counter?  Maybe she'll just scoot around on the judges' table?  

I have a question, though, is someone going to get the boot before the finals start next week?  Or are this week's scores/votes basically meaningless?  

• Love 4