Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Hollywood Week (1)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

That was never the case, even as far back as season 3. Both Fantasia and JHud forgot their lyrics in their groups during Hollywood Week.

Thanks.  My memory sucks.  :^)

On 3/26/2018 at 9:02 PM, dizzyd said:

Surprised Zach was eliminated.

I don't generally watch this show.  There is rarely any representation of the music I listen to (hard rock, alternative).  It was on in the background while my teenager watched it and I was doing other things, but when he sang the first thing I said was that he was too good for AI. Broadway should snap that kid up. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Has anyone checked her social media to see if she's faking this geek schtick?  With the 1960s pastel patent boots and the hanging all over everyone??

Catie is not pretending. This is her quirky personality. My friend's daughter goes to school with her. He said she is well liked in school.

• Love 9
On 3/26/2018 at 10:39 PM, tobeannounced said:

Apparently I'm a total freak, but I LOVE this show, especially Hollywood Week. I seriously have to have a box of tissues next to me during the whole thing, and I am not a sentimental gal. I zoned out on AI the last few years it was on, but I think they've really got some amazing talent this year. I like that there wasn't too much drama during group rounds and everyone did pretty well for the most part.

Oddly enough, blonde country guy blew me away, really stood out for me, and I'm not into country music (don't know his name though - lol). Weird little Catie can sing! There were a few others that I can't wait to see more of too.

Are we long lost sisters or something?  I totally agree with you about everything!  I too LOVE Hollywood week, seeing how everyone interacts and, of course, the (mostly) great harmonies.  The talent this year sure does seem several leaps ahead of the last - I don't know how many - seasons. 

As to the blond country guy.......I thought he was fabulous, and I don't even like country music!  And I too don't know his name!  Crazy.  I was telling Mr. Rain all about him, and how much I've wanted a girl to win this year, how much I didn't want a WGWG to win, blah blah blah, and then along comes Cute Blond Guy (Country, yet!) With Guitar and got me, hook, line and sinker.  I'm looking forward to his progress on the show.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Are we long lost sisters or something?  I totally agree with you about everything!  I too LOVE Hollywood week, seeing how everyone interacts and, of course, the (mostly) great harmonies.  The talent this year sure does seem several leaps ahead of the last - I don't know how many - seasons. 

As to the blond country guy.......I thought he was fabulous, and I don't even like country music!  And I too don't know his name!  Crazy.  I was telling Mr. Rain all about him, and how much I've wanted a girl to win this year, how much I didn't want a WGWG to win, blah blah blah, and then along comes Cute Blond Guy (Country, yet!) With Guitar and got me, hook, line and sinker.  I'm looking forward to his progress on the show.

I don't know, Ladyrain, but I love anyone who says they totally agree with me about everything - lol. 

• Love 1

I'll preface this by stating that I almost never watch the audition episodes, so this is my first exposure to any of these contestants.

The girl obsessed with Zach is annoying as hell but she has an interesting voice.  And I liked the one country girl they showed early on.

Neither of the Milo/whatever his name was twins were especially impressive, and what they were singing was unmelodic as hell.  Glad the one was cut.  Can't wait to see the other go; he's full of himself and his mother is a nightmare.

• Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, marketdoctor said:

They used to do it to raise the drama on the results rounds, which is one of the reasons I want them to use, for example, the method from Nashville Star and just have the top X people sing the following week.  The bottom vote-getter could use their song to try for the judge's save, or even better, not do that and have a great life in other ways (possibly curing the "funny syphilis" that the idiot who came up with the fake-outs caught from a wacky weekend with a stripper with a heart of gold.)

That is how they did it the last season or two.

I'm very sad because they cut Zach from my hometown Wesley Chapel, and Griffin, whom I really liked because I have a 10 year old son named Griffin who also has long hair, plays piano and guitar, and loves the Beatles. So bummed. ?

• Love 2

Lines of 10:

Layla - Much better than her audition. She is still one of the weaker contestants though.

Alyssa - Great. Such a mature voice for her age too.

Trevor - He's good but reminds me too much of Chris Stapleton, from the voice to the look. He needs his own identity.

Caleb - Loved him! I don't know if it was nerves or his voice is just like this, but he has a bad habit of an overactive vibratp. Hopefully the vocal coaches can help him out with that because otherwise he's excellent. Possibly my fave guy.

Noah - One of my other fave guys. He is really good and has a likable personality without being too much *ahem* Catie Turner *ahem*

The twins - I thought the brother they cut was stronger than the one they kept.

Glad Kennedee, the Carrie wannabe, was cut. She should have never gotten a golden ticket in the first place.

Catie Turner - I really do like her a lot, she may be my fave girl. In general I like her personality but she could try to tone it down some. She is good in small doses, which doesn't really work when you are trying to appeal to a mass market. It's good to have that quirky personality but too much of it will just annoy people. Her crush on Zach was cute, they would have been such an adorable nerdy couple.

Zach - I think he sounded good and it was even better than his audition. But I'm assuming he didn't get through because his style is more Clay Aiken/Josh Groban, not pop enough, and he prefers standards which isn't marketable I guess. 

Maddie - A dark horse IMO. She has only been shown singing so far with no backstory but she has had 2 solid performances now. She will creep up in the competition I think. She's good.

Cade - Sorry, I didn't care for him at all. I didn't get it.

Jonny - He's alright, he was a lot better here than in his audition. But still doesn't do much for me.

Jurnee - Along with Catie Turner, she is my fave girl, definitely my favorite female vocally. I can't believe she is only 18. She has a great maturity and poise about her in addition to a killer voice. I think she should win.

Dennis Lorenzo - He is good I guess but not necessarily unique.

Trevor - I don't think he should have advanced. The little they showed of him was pretty meh overall. 

David Francisco - Glad he was cut, that wasn't good.

I wanted to see more of Griffin Tucker, his brief audition sounded intriguing. But we never heard from him again. 

I am perplexed as to why they didn't show Effie, Ada, Maddie Z, Marcio, Garrett, Laine, or Justine considering they all had strong and/or memorable auditions. I would have liked to see more of Effie, Maddie Z, Garrett, and Laine.

Group Rounds:

God's Diversity - Overall not bad. Shannon should have been cut. I just don't think she's all that good. I always feel sad for the groups who have all the contestants advance except one. And she wasn't even shown at all.

The Gurope - I guess considering they forgot the lyrics it wasn't that bad. 

TACO - Overall a solid group. I thought the girl they eliminated should have advanced.

Super Dope Hotness - Here we go with the stage mom. Milo is lucky his last-minute change ended up paying off. I didn't think he sounded that good and should have been cut. The others sounded solid.

Still no idea why Gabby Barrett is in this thing.

Soul 4's - Eh not Laine's best, understandably. I don't really get the hype about him. 

Don't Touch - One of the best groups of the day. That trick they pulled at the end was downright the cruelest thing I think Idol has EVER done and that's saying a lot. Whichever producer decided that should be fired. Bless Crystal for volunteering though, poor girl looked traumatized after.

Overall the singing was solid here and there were no complete trainwrecks. Usually there are more groups who forget words or who are out of tune with their harmonies. A couple groups had some issues but nothing major. The stage mom drama was pretty tame compared to seasons past. I love Hollywood Week for the drama and this was kind of light compared to past seasons. It resulted in better performances though. 

• Love 3

Impressive breakdown, BogoGog24. I agree with a lot of your thoughts.

Alyssa and Caleb were favorites of mine from their auditions, and they definitely continue to be favorites after their line songs (I don't think her group's song choice did Alyssa any favors though). The maturity in Alyssa's voice at 15 is really something. Caleb reminds me of Casey Thrasher's voice from the last couple seasons of Idol. He got screwed the season they had extra people in the semifinal rounds who didn't get to sing...and I forget where he was eliminated in the following season.

Jurnee is another favorite. I think I might like Dennis a little more than you (I like his voice more than Marcio who has almost the same young son backstory at least).

I was actually mildly impressed by Gabby in her group performance (she was terrible in her audition and shouldn't have gotten a ticket in the first place but I guess that's besides the point at this point). But other than Layla (who is really more Southern drawl than true country artist) there really isn't any other female country singer we've been introduced to.....which makes me think one (or the other or both of them) will end up in the Top 24.

Maddie's this season's stealth contestant. Good enough voice to be shown singing multiple times, yet a "boring" enough existence to not learning anything personal about her lol.

• Love 1

I was surprised at how disappointed Zach was after getting cut; he said he’s only been singing for a year at his audition, so he hasn’t put in the serious time that most of the other contestants have.  At that age though, rejection for something you realiy want feels tenfold.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Article from my neighborhood paper about Zach. Interesting behind-the-scenes info. I hope we get to see him again someday. I don't care for Austin on The Voice. He's a little too cocky for me. 

zach2.jpg

Edited by Vanessa1214
Pic resize