Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Hollywood Week (1)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

In this first episode of Hollywood Week, Idol hopefuls from across the country head to the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood to battle it out in solo and group performances in hopes of making it through to the showcase round.

For the benefit of posterity, they said 169 contestants went to Hollywood.

Not bad for Hollywood week! The acoustics are definitely awesome at the Dolby. Wish the live rounds were held there too.  

Also the focus on music instead of sob stories made it more enjoyable. That being said, I'll admit I wept at "Wind beneath my wings".  Go Alyssa!

Surprised Zach was eliminated.

On Group round, I was "Love yourself"'d out.

• Love 8

Oh, that end fakeout. That was cruel

So glad all the girls ultimately went through, though. They all sounded great. I'm glad they were able to work it all out in the end. 

Liked seeing some of the friendships formed during the group rounds here. And the one girl calling her wife to tell her she'd moved ahead-I got a little choked up at that.. Just the way her wife was all, "I'm so proud of you"...it was a really lovely moment :). 

• Love 7

I've slogged through the try outs to get to Hollywood week and my DVR didn't record! arrrrgh!   I came in on the last couple of groups.  That last fake out was shocking!  Poor girl!  She proved she has a good character, though. 

Edited by stcroix
  • Love 4

Apparently I'm a total freak, but I LOVE this show, especially Hollywood Week. I seriously have to have a box of tissues next to me during the whole thing, and I am not a sentimental gal. I zoned out on AI the last few years it was on, but I think they've really got some amazing talent this year. I like that there wasn't too much drama during group rounds and everyone did pretty well for the most part.

Oddly enough, blonde country guy blew me away, really stood out for me, and I'm not into country music (don't know his name though - lol). Weird little Catie can sing! There were a few others that I can't wait to see more of too.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 14

I am disappointed Zac didn't make it through,  shocked actually.  

This is so much better than The Voice, flaws and all.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 5

Can someone help me with the songs?

1. Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
2. I thought I heard the BRIEFEST of The Chain - Fleetwood Mac, which, if I'm correct, would be AWESOME.  Too bad we didn't hear anyone do it full or well?
3. Rather Be - Clean Bandit and Jess Glynne
4. Me and My Broken Heart - Rixton?

Sorry guys, that's all I could pick up on.  I'd love it if someone else could help me do the hugest favour and point out the others?

You guys are not freaks.  Hollywood Week is the best part of the season.  Better than auditions.  Better than solo rounds.  I would like Hollywood Week to be at least two weeks.  I say the same thing every year.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

During the auditions, I didn't like the guy whose parents didn't know he'd taken a bus to the audition. But now that I know his father doesn't support his craft, I want him to win it all. He sang really well, too.

• Love 7

I wish they had spent more time on the "I need to find a group" chaos, but other than that it was fun (and some of those groups were really good, considering the circumstances).  For all the effort the show went to to make it look like the twin with the overbearing mom was overrunning his group for his own benefit, that actually came together pretty well with the guy in the hat saying, "Let's make it sexy now" or something to go to the a capella portion.  (And am I the only one who thought the twin was all over the place and probably wasn't going through?)

• Love 13

I really enjoyed tonights show. Don't know how much of it was the acoustics but I thought almost everyone's voice sounded better. 

I was surprised at some of the eliminations as well. They feature these artists, drag you into their stories and then eliminate them over others who have never been featured or weren't as good I think. I swear there were some who I don't ever remember seeing before tonight. 

I thought Lane was OK but was mostly gave a pass because of his image. He wasn't comfortable with the song and it wasn't his style of singing. He's good when he's in his wheelhouse but just based on tonight's performance I don't think he would have got through if he wasn't a good looking kid with the "it" factor. I think the judges could see him selling albums, concert tickets and all the screaming girls. 

• Love 9

Yeah, the way he walked back into the holding area you could tell he thought he completely botched that song (or at least didn't sing it up to where he thought he should've). I don't think he was overly surprised to not make it through the lines.

Lane is so clearly already in their Top 24. Basically the only thing that would stop that from happening would be if he voluntarily withdrew from the competition.

I'm liking Jurnee's voice more and more. Her line song was great, and she really stood out within her group.

I was using ff liberally for tonight's two hours, so did they goof the editing up with Ada Vox? It clearly looked like after her group sang...she was in the back line of two and Kay Kay and the guy in the group were in the front line and they (the front line) was told that they made it on to the next round of solos. But then she showed up in the previews for next week? I'm confused.

Did anyone see whether Caleb (the country guy) or Amalia made it through their respective groups?

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I wish they had spent more time on the "I need to find a group" chaos, but other than that it was fun (and some of those groups were really good, considering the circumstances).  For all the effort the show went to to make it look like the twin with the overbearing mom was overrunning his group for his own benefit, that actually came together pretty well with the guy in the hat saying, "Let's make it sexy now" or something to go to the a capella portion.  (And am I the only one who thought the twin was all over the place and probably wasn't going through?)

I thought his vocals were the weakest of the group but he's a good looking kid who, (like I stated above about Lane) is getting by a lot on his looks. I know that can only take you so far but image plays a big part in how far you go as well. I mean you only have to look at the last 25 years of music to see that.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I was using ff liberally for tonight's two hours, so did they goof the editing up with Ada Vox? It clearly looked like after her group sang...she was in the back line of two and Kay Kay and the guy in the group were in the front line and they (the front line) was told that they made it on to the next round of solos. But then she showed up in the previews for next week? I'm confused.

You must've missed the part where the judges said, "Back line, you made it too!"

Oh, those judges and their shenanigans!?

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Yeah, the way he walked back into the holding area you could tell he thought he completely botched that song (or at least didn't sing it up to where he thought he should've). I don't think he was overly surprised to not make it through the lines.

Lane is so clearly already in their Top 24. Basically the only thing that would stop that from happening would be if he voluntarily withdrew from the competition.

I'm liking Jurnee's voice more and more. Her line song was great, and she really stood out within her group.

Did anyone see whether Caleb (the country guy) or Amalia made it through their respective groups?

The judges did a fake out with Ada Vox. After they told the front row they were through they hesitated and then said, "and the back row too" so if you had watched just a few more seconds you would have seen it.

Is Caleb the good looking kid who's granny is his biggest fan? Yeah he made it through. I saw a brief clip of him smiling as they were talking about the ones who made it through.

Not sure which one is Amalia?

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 2

I did get a tad aggressive on the ff, and missed the Ada Vox fakeout. Thank you yorklee2 Blissfool.

Caleb sang "Don't Close Your Eyes" right after one of the other country guys (Trevor the goat farmer) at the very beginning of the show. I feel like they both love their nan's for some reason.

If Amalia is still alive in the competition, I feel like she either radically changed her appearance or she completely ghosted her way to the last solo round (she auditioned with an Afro, and "To Make You Feel My Love" by Dylan). She was originally from an island in the Caribbean, Anguilla.

We saw a couple handfuls of people who we didn't get to see audition. Off of a few seconds each, I sort of liked Cesley Parrish from the Staying Alive group. She had an interesting lower toned voice and a hippie vibe, and Aname Rose who kicked off the Superdope group.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 3

In the first part, I kind of hated Catie (?) for making everything all about her and Zach. Including his being ousted. I think she's probably really like how she acts, except that I would have expected that person to stop or make a face or something when she made a tiny error in the lyrics of "Come Together." But she kept on going. Maybe she thinks she sang it correctly.

I, too, would have liked to see more of the usual chaos of choosing groups, deciding which song to sing, seeing who's willing to stay up all night and work, etc. Is it always just one hour of Groups? This is my favorite part of the whole show. Anyone can memorize a song or two for the first few rounds, but I like to see who's willing to work to learn something new and to pick up rudimentary dance moves and be part of a group. It seemed like we saw far fewer whole performances than we used to. 

I was trying to remember which season it was when one group was made up of all "kids with moms" and yet the moms were okay and the kids all went through. Usually, I think that the moms are just a hindrance. 

I'll never get over how some people can't learn one song, and a few lines of lyrics for it, in a night. 

If it were me, I'd find a group that wanted to sing the song I was most familiar with, not sing with people I'd decided were my friends after just a day or two. If you already know the song, you can work on the other stuff. 

eta: I just remembered that I'm still flabbergasted about Katy Perry talking about how much she likes her personal space (when that one group approached the judges during their performance). Ay carumba.

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I did get a tad aggressive on the ff, and missed the Ada Vox fakeout. Thank you yorklee2 Blissfool.

Caleb sang "Don't Close Your Eyes" right after one of the other country guys (Trevor the goat farmer) at the very beginning of the show. I feel like they both love their nan's for some reason.

If Amalia is still alive in the competition, I feel like she either radically changed her appearance or she completely ghosted her way to the last solo round (she auditioned with an Afro, and "To Make You Feel My Love" by Dylan). She was originally from an island in the Caribbean, Anguilla.

We saw a couple handfuls of people who we didn't get to see audition. Off of a few seconds each, I sort of liked Cesley Parrish from the Staying Alive group. She had an interesting lower toned voice and a hippie vibe, and Aname Rose who kicked off the Superdope group.

Oh I know who you are talking about now. The blonde country boy who killed the Keith Whitley song. Yes he went through easily. He's got a great country voice and I see him going far.

I hope your not confusing him with the better looking kid who's close to his grandma but sort of sang nasally in the first auditions. He was from Louisiana and his gran had moved in with the family after her husband died. He's the one who I was talking about seeing a brief clip of him having made it through although they didn't show him sing. Him and Trevor are the ones who were featured with their grandmothers. 

Caleb on the other hand was shown auditioning with his parents and did a impression of Luke's plug for a radio station. 

I'm not 100% sure it was her but I think they showed Amalia getting cut. I remember because of her Afro and thinking, "aww she didn't make it". But I guess there's a slim chance it could have been someone else as there was a lot of new faces I hadn't seen before tonight.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 3

That little snippet of Kay Kay was enough for me to become a fan of hers.

When were we able to vote for which contestant would come back? I was wondering how Brittany got back on there. So weird I had to go to Instagram to see it. (I don't watch DWTS anymore.)

I wanted more group drama too. Oh well. There's some really great talent this year.

Maddie ( large gal with guitar and Down syndrome friend at auditions) couldn’t remember her lyrics but just sang some made up lines was clutch ....I laughed realizing some of these kids are so young they have NO CLUE what Bee Gees Stayin’ Alive is ? 

• Love 6

I was pleasantly surprised at not having to watch a lot of fighting and drama. More singing, less sniping and crying, thank god (and yes, please!). Though that twin (and his mom) can get off my tv right now. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Mystery said:

I'll never get over how some people can't learn one song, and a few lines of lyrics for it, in a night. 

I know.  And the redheaded girl who volunteered to go home...had you never seen prior seasons of the show?  Did you not know that there was a group round in which you would have to sing harmony?

• Love 1

I am surprised that more people aren’t talking about the selflessness of the woman who volunteered to go home at the end “fake out”. First of all, it was a horrible thing to do to these poor people, all of them desperate to make it to the next round. But that woman offering to be the one to go home...that, for me, was heroic. Almost like throwing herself on a live grenade to save the others. She had no idea it was a trick, but she offered herself up so the others could continue. I was moved to tears. And I wanted to throat punch the idiot that came up with the idea to do it.

• Love 24

Lionel and maybe Luke too didn't know Katy was pulling a fast one with the last group.   The look on Lionel's face was shock; he was disgusted.  He has shown his displeasure with Katy during the auditions as well. I think a producer told her to do it, I doubt she took that upon herself. 

The editing is excellent this year.  This episode moved swiftly and was tight.  I felt no urge to FF.  

In the past, not knowing the lyrics was an automatic elimination from Simon and maybe others.  I didn't watch much during the last several seasons because they were terrible!   I am happy to see this season is much better and looking good.  I have missed this show. 

I think the reason some of those who had a montage but eliminated is because their story was interesting and it also killed the notion that it meant an automatic pass to the final round. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, DallasGypsy said:

I thought the list of who was in which group was posted on the wall.  That's probably why there was no frantic scrambling to "find a group."

Ahhh, that makes sense. Good idea, it eliminates a huge amount of time and angst.  

• Love 1

Random thoughts on last night's episode:

I loved the first four contestants performances......however, the short, young girl (from Kentucky) grates on my nerves, the naïve country bumpkin personality will get old fast.     

Jurnee has a beautiful voice.

I felt so sorry for the twin that didn't make it and did not like the one that did and their obnoxious stage mother.  Did I hear correctly when the mother basically said the one twin didn't listen to her and didn't make it? 

I had mixed emotions on the lack of drama......I seriously get upset when somebody struggles to find a group so I was glad to be spared the heartache but it does tend to show some folks true colors.  It can make me not like someone really fast. 

I noticed at the end when the sweet, red haired girl gave up her spot, the only one who showed any real emotion was the girl on the end with the purple lipstick....the other two were the equivalent of looking around whistling. 

Luke cracked me up when Trevor? (the cute one Katie flirted with who has the girlfriend) came on and he was teasing her about him.  Luke has grown on me a lot, he just seems like a genuinely sweet person.   

Not sure what to think about Catie....where does one find not one but two pairs of those go go boots?  I feel like she is genuinely that awkward but may want to dial it down a tad.

I really think they have found some genuine talent this year.  Good job judges, may not love Katie but the three of them seemed to have picked well.   

Oh and I initially felt sad for the guy who learned to walk again.....on Twitter, Ryan showed a beautiful wedding of them so I ended up being happy :)

I also appreciate the kids who graciously accept the rejection.  It shows maturity, class and professionalism which will hopefully carry them far in their goals.    

• Love 7

Does anyone know why the voice teacher was there?  I thought she was a no.   She had a good voice but she lacked passion and performed it like a recital.   How did she get invited back?

I’m not digging the judges this year.  I was a big fan of the chemistry between Keith and Harry and JLo didn’t annoy me.  These three all seem on their own. So far.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gardendiva said:

I am surprised that more people aren’t talking about the selflessness of the woman who volunteered to go home at the end “fake out”. First of all, it was a horrible thing to do to these poor people, all of them desperate to make it to the next round. But that woman offering to be the one to go home...that, for me, was heroic. Almost like throwing herself on a live grenade to save the others. She had no idea it was a trick, but she offered herself up so the others could continue. I was moved to tears. And I wanted to throat punch the idiot that came up with the idea to do it.

First off, I wouldn't equate this to a real life combat situation or necessarily call it "herotic".   I personally don't think she was all that ready for this competition.  And it wasn't just her lack of experience, but she didn't seem to have the competitive survival to push through.  And it's only going to get tougher.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, TOL said:

Does anyone know why the voice teacher was there?  I thought she was a no.   She had a good voice but she lacked passion and performed it like a recital.   How did she get invited back?

I’m not digging the judges this year.  I was a big fan of the chemistry between Keith and Harry and JLo didn’t annoy me.  These three all seem on their own. So far.  

I vaguely remember there being two. The one who made it through, they told her to forget everything she thought she knew about singing. The other one was let go for being too meh.

ETA: Well, maybe I'm wrong. Just read online where there was some vote or something to bring someone back. Apparently it flashed across the screen when she was performing but I didn't see it.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Wings said:

In the past, not knowing the lyrics was an automatic elimination from Simon and maybe others. 

I was so surprised to see the piano guy (Paul?) telling them to just make up lyrics. I had no idea they were told to do that. I always thought it was the singer trying to be cute. So now I must apologize to all of the past singers for excoriating them in my head. 

Edited by Mystery
Changed how much I wanted to quote
  • Love 3

I am so happy Hollywood Week is back. This is always a great set of episodes. The TV talent landscape is empty without Idol. 

There were some pretty good group performances, but I wasn't over the moon for any of them. Without all the drama that usually accompanied Group Round in OG Idol, it was a tepid segment. I see now that it was more about drama and ratings, because you're looking for a solo artist. No one is bothered by their ability to harmonize. In fact, I worry that the great harmonizers were likely cut and we didn't hear any of them!

To be honest, in all of Idol, there's only one group-round performance I remember. It was season 6. Rudy Cardenas, Chris Sligh, Blake Lewis, and Thomas Lowe sang How Deep Is Your Love. Lowe, mysteriously, never made it to the live shows. Was he Australian? I loved him. Anyway, it's on YouTube and I still have it on my old brick iPod. It's glorious, a decade plus later. 

I think they were going to cut some people no matter what, and others were getting a free pass. In the old days, you didn't get to flub lyrics so flagrantly and still advance. It bothers me. These aren't obscure songs. Learn the words and deliver them when it matters.

I'm salty that Zach D. was cut. He was a far better version of John Stevens who made the top 10 years ago! That was a huge disappointment for me, considering some of the lesser talent they kept around. Ugh. I hope he and Catie continue to be friends. What a cute duo they'd make - like a younger, quirkier Casey Abrams / Hailee Reinhardt pairing!

One thing that really separates Idol is how deeply you can invest in the contestants. I was constantly on the lookout for my favorites, even in the background, to see if they were advancing. I'm so glad the vocal coach who sang Whitney and was originally not sent through was given a ticket. She's fabulous! 

I'm impressed by the level of talent. For some reason, it always seems to dwindle by the live finals. I don't know why; I do sometimes blame judges' selection more than bad voting on the nation's part. But truly, I watched The Voice and they have a quarter of the talent. Or maybe it just seems that way because the show is about the coaches and the singers are props. Seven years and 14 seasons later, not one Voice contestant has reached Clay Aiken status, let alone Kelly or Carrie territory. 

Tonight was the night that proved that Idol is back and here to stay. I even like the judging panel. They're starting to gel. I'm not necessarily agreeing with their choices - at times I really don't know what they're hearing when they send people through - but I'm all in for this new incarnation. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 6

I finally enjoyed an episode.    I still am not a fan of Katy Perry, but she didn't bother me as much this time, except for that ending fake out. Which I don't think she actually expected anyone to volunteer.  I think she was probably going to leave them hanging for a few more moments, and then say 'just kidding'.   I'm not sure how well I like the fake out, with calling some forward, saying they are going through, and then saying , the back row goes through too.  But I seem to remember them always doing dumb stuff like that.  On one hand, it's 'be professional'.  On the other, they are playing games with them.  I wonder if that happens a lot in professional situations where they play the 'gotcha' game.  

So are their song choices assigned?  Are they given a list, or just a couple to pick from?  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

'm salty that Zach D. was cut. He was a far better version of John Stevens who made the top 10 years ago! That was a huge disappointment for me, considering some of the lesser talent they kept around. Ugh. I hope he and Catie continue to be friends. What a cute duo they'd make - like a younger, quirkier Casey Abrams / Hailee Reinhardt pairing!

That 'friendship' felt scripted to me.  I think she had a crush but I saw him to be a reluctant participant. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

Luke cracked me up when Trevor? (the cute one Katie flirted with who has the girlfriend) came on and he was teasing her about him. 

I found Trevor extremely meh, and am holding out hope he's cut just before top 24, because the "Katy vs. Girlfriend" drama is played out. Once was funny, twice is overkill, and not funny. The girlfriend didn't exactly cover herself in glory either, though I'm sure she was doing just as instructed. Still, it's such a weird, uncomfortable story and I hope it's over soon.

• Love 10

And I wanted to throat punch the idiot that came up with the idea to do it.

That's just it; I'm not sure how much of the "judge shenanigans" are the judges and how much are the directors or producers or what. 

They used to do it to raise the drama on the results rounds, which is one of the reasons I want them to use, for example, the method from Nashville Star and just have the top X people sing the following week.  The bottom vote-getter could use their song to try for the judge's save, or even better, not do that and have a great life in other ways (possibly curing the "funny syphilis" that the idiot who came up with the fake-outs caught from a wacky weekend with a stripper with a heart of gold.)

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I so want the twin with the stage mother to leave.  I couldn't believe how he seemingly stretched the truth to get the arrangement that he and his mother wanted.  Go home.

Yeah, that was a pretty underhanded move. I hope he doesn’t make the final cut (I genuinely don’t like his voice even without the stage mom and the sneakiness).

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

ETA: Well, maybe I'm wrong. Just read online where there was some vote or something to bring someone back. Apparently it flashed across the screen when she was performing but I didn't see it.

Yes, it's on the Idol Instagram.  Last fall, they did an online vote among 3 failed auditioners to give one a golden ticket; the voice teacher in the red in the final group had won that.

• Love 2

Hi all - OMG I haven't watched this show in ages - and haven't really really cared about it since the heyday of Clay/Ruben (Claymate forever, y'all! j/k...sort of, haha). It's been fun to watch again, and while the current judges leave a lot to be desired, I'm enjoying it mightily, way more than I ever thought I would again. 

I missed the audition episodes other than the last one, so didn't have a lot of context going into the Hollywood rounds. Of the contestants I remembered and liked, I was really happy to see Jurnee (though I'm old and crotchety and hate the stupid spelling of her name) and Ada Vox get through. Gabby Barrett (Carrie Underwood lite) is a local Pittsburgh girl so she's been getting a lot of press, and is the main reason I tuned in at all this season, and while I can't say I like her all that much, I'm happy she got through anyhow. 

The two that I didn't really care for were Lane and the solo twin who changed the performance of his group - and while I suspect that was a lot of manufactured drama and to-do about nothing, but I still didn't think he was as strong as the others in his group, and at that point he came off looking rather poorly. And Lane just came off as having a "too cool for this shit" bad attitude that I found very off-putting, and he barely seemed like he was going through the motions to me. Really, he couldn't have faked it a little better? He is awfully good-looking though and I didn't see his audition so maybe he is really that great, but based on that group performance alone, no way should he have made it through.

Those were the two that stood out to me as well from the rest.

Happy that Idol is back, but happier to have a new place to snark about it (RIP TWoP!...sniff)

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Wings said:

In the past, not knowing the lyrics was an automatic elimination from Simon and maybe others.  I

That was never the case, even as far back as season 3. Both Fantasia and JHud forgot their lyrics in their groups during Hollywood Week.

• Love 2

I thought Julian was better than Milo, but either way, the mom can go anytime.

I feel like I missed a few people, even though I didn't fast forward anything. What happened with Layla and the guy with the constantly moving eyebrow who's grandma was called Honey? I don't remember seeing them in any group, although there was a preview of Layla freaking out about trying to get with a group.

Catie needs to dial it down a notch. I may have to start fast-forwarding through her parts.

Caleb was really good.

What group was Brittany in? I saw that they brought her back, which I thought was deserved--she should have gotten a ticket in the first place, but again, I don't recall seeing her in a group. Did she make it through?

Surprised that Zach didn't make it.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Yeah, that was a pretty underhanded move. I hope he doesn’t make the final cut (I genuinely don’t like his voice even without the stage mom and the sneakiness).

Considering that they all seemed to know what was up, I think a lot of that was editing. In America's Next Top model, one of the girls seemingly barged into the other girls' shoot. Later they found out the director had told her to do that, so I am willing to cut the twin some slack, especially since it looks like his team ended up liking him (and it didn't seem like he took credit for that decision which the judges ended up loving.)

Edited by niklj
  • Love 1

(And am I the only one who thought the twin was all over the place and probably wasn't going through?)

He's cute and dresses to be remembered and he is going through for sure

Catie needs to dial it down a notch. I may have to start fast-forwarding through her parts.

Has anyone checked her social media to see if she's faking this geek schtick?  With the 1960s pastel patent boots and the hanging all over everyone??

I was really happy to see Jurnee (though I'm old and crotchety and hate the stupid spelling of her name

She sounds great and looks awful.  She's actually a cute girl I hope they do a makeover on her.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1