Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E31: The Fitbit Alibi (Nicole VanderHeyden)

• Start Topic

I found Nicole's family to be a bit much.  Her mother was busy talking about her morals, but Nicole certainly was not very bright.  She was drinking, separated herself from those whom were with her, went to another bar alone, flirted with some random guy, and allowed him to take her home.  That guy happened to be a psycho.  Yes, George Burch was responsible for killing her, but Nicole made several stupid decisions that led her to her own demise.  I'm not crying a river for her.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jpxfactor said:

Without the technology, the boyfriend could very well be the one sitting in jail.  Very scary.

Right? I mean, without the Fitbit and DNA, he probably would be sitting in jail for the rest of his life.

• Love 5

That episode makes me glad I wear a Fitbit and carry an Android phone!

Some folks think that the current levels of tracking available are somewhere between creepy and an outright violation of privacy.  I tend to feel that if I'm not doing anything illegal, I don't mind if authorities can track me down.

• Love 7

I have very little trust or faith in the authorities - they have proven time and again that they abuse and misuse their powers, and have no problem railroading innocent people.  If they hadn't discovered the actual killer and had his cellphone activity slap them in the face,  I doubt they'd place much emphasis on the FitBit defense (and would probably bend over backwards to indict the husband).

I'll keep whatever privacy I have left and live my quiet little life with a landline, old timey TeeVee, and a basic internet connection to satisfy my PTV addiction (I know, I'm still being tracked, but my virtual footprint is very faint).  Hopefully, I'll never cross paths with cops or crime - but if I do, I'll stay silent and ask for a lawyer!   ;-)

• Love 8

I really thought it was the DNA evidence that exonerated the husband. The Fitbit helped with the time frame. If it were the sole piece of evidence I think he may have been charged. It was the DNA from Burch and the phone tracking that solve the case.IMO

• Love 7
2 hours ago, applecrisp said:

really thought it was the DNA evidence that exonerated the husband.

When we got to the half-hour mark, I thought, "How the heck are they going to stretch this into another 30 minutes?"  For me, it was the phone moreso than he DNA.  The DNA was an added bonus, but as soon as the phone spit out that George was in all four places, he was pretty much toast.  He and Doug were perfect strangers to each other.  There was no evidence that they were friends, co-workers, neighbors, or even acquaintances, so George's story was bogus.  When your phone places you in all four places, and it can't be shown that the phone was taken from you, in this case, DNA wasn't really necessary.  There was so much other stuff to nail him with, such as the pants.  I thought the rebuttal using the pants was brilliant.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I have very little trust or faith in the authorities - they have proven time and again that they abuse and misuse their powers, and have no problem railroading innocent people.  If they hadn't discovered the actual killer and had his cellphone activity slap them in the face,  I doubt they'd place much emphasis on the FitBit defense (and would probably bend over backwards to indict the husband).

I'll keep whatever privacy I have left and live my quiet little life with a landline, old timey TeeVee, and a basic internet connection to satisfy my PTV addiction (I know, I'm still being tracked, but my virtual footprint is very faint).  Hopefully, I'll never cross paths with cops or crime - but if I do, I'll stay silent and ask for a lawyer!   ;-)

Well, WQ you just said what I was going to say; so I'll just say "me too." I am weird and ok with that. I am almost a ghost on the internetS. :-)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Yep. I recall a comedian saying when he drinks soda , he doesn't throw the can (well, littering) but if he throws it over the bushes there could be a body and there his soda can is. 

• Love 3

I don't have a "Hair Stylist".  I get a trim every couple of years when I remember to redeem my Supercuts coupon, and then I give them a false name and refuse to provide my phone # and email address.  Creates quite a kerfuffle when they try to pry it out of me, and don't understand why I have no desire to share any personal information with someone who's taking $9.00 for a haircut.

• Love 1

Anyone catch the first guy he murdered was a gang leader? 20 years on and his then 16 year old exgf was saying he was the love of her life.  Hmmm I would hope being 20 years wiser now she would have realized that she is most likely better off with the way things probably turned out for her than marrying her gang leader bf as a teen.

• Love 5

Wait! I have an iPhone & an Apple watch ⌚️. Am I safe? Pretty crazy that the husband/boyfriend didn’t do it. At least, that’s what the evidence supports. Also, it’s amazing how they were able to find the guy from the data base and find him Lickity Split. Thanks to phone records, texting, cameras & Fitbit the case was solved. So, I know to carry my phone, wear a fitness watch & not to leave a can/bottle of beer of my DNA just lying around for any yahoo to frame me. 

• Love 3