Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: Do Not Send Us Astray

nodorothyparker
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, mrspidey said:

Can he, though? If he strays from the comics like with killing off Carl, people riot. If he slavishly sticks to Kirkman's writing like with the tainted weapons stuff, people riot. Seems to me, no matter what he does, people will hate it. 

Dern skippy - Gimp can take a long walk off a short pier as far as I’m concerned.  IMHO every one of Gimp’s recent decisions has been for shit, and he has irreparably damaged this series.

I am not saying the show is required to be a slave to the GN canon - but for God’s sake, pick a course and stick with the course.  Either the GN is the rule of law, or it’s a general guideline; either choice is fine, but “both” is not an option - they’re mutually exclusive.  And if you’re going to deviate from your source, then for crying out loud do so in ways that make the story BETTER.  Do you think the abrupt sacrifice of Carl’s storyline (a 7+ year investment in character development) with so many unresolved issues and relationships, improved the story line?  I think the opposite - it’s blown a great big gaping hole in the series, now and for the foreseeable future.

Gimp can’t nuke what is arguably one of the two most significant GN characters one episode, and then the next episode turn around and say, “Oh, we gotta stick to the comics”.  Gimp has already destroyed slavish adherence to canon as an option for the show, so how can it be a rational requirement now?

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Daltrey said:

So did I! Usually, lighting issues don't affect or bother me but, holy shit, that was brutal!!

I didn't realize that she had been shot with an arrow.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Daltrey said:

Well, to be fair, they probably wouldn't shoot the horses because that would be killing a sacred animal or just showing a blatant disregard for all innocent life in nature...... But that's probably giving old Hollywood too much credit, lol!

They wouldn't kill the horses because horses were extremely valuable to them.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Smad said:

IMO he absolutely can, and should, deviate from the comics when possible or add/remove/change when needed. What works in comic format doesn't always translate into live action, including characters. In the case of this show characters like Ezekiel and Negan are too comic book-y. If you want them in live action you have to change them. Which IMO means no freaking tigers or medival speech. And the Negan in the comics is more believable because he is a giant. JDM's Negan is not even intimidating enough to scare a 5th grader out of his lunch money. The outfit and language are also stupid. The Garbage people...I still have no clue wtf that was.

There are things that were added or slightly changed that worked IMO. I know the show pretended like it never happened but I liked the CDC thing in S1 because the mystery of the virus stayed intact (something Kirkman insists on) but it gave us an insight into the larger world. The Claimers, who from what I know are not in the comics, were the best and most believable baddies they've had. The Terminus storyline also worked, despite the stupidity of cannibalism. The sickness storyline in early S4 was actually a neat idea but the execution of it sucked. And that's a general problem with Gimple. Not all the ideas are bad ones but the execution of them in terms of pacing, character development, canon, consistency etc. is what constantly works against them being successful.

I had to quote the whole post, because every single word is right on and it all bears repeating. Gimple seems to have no clue that what might work in a comic book may not in live action with real people who are 3-dimensional  and who have real feelings that we, the audience, should be able to identify with.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Gimp can’t nuke what is arguably one of the two most significant GN characters one episode, and then the next episode turn around and say, “Oh, we gotta stick to the comics”.  Gimp has already destroyed slavish adherence to canon as an option for the show, so how can it be a rational requirement now?

Yup, yup. I have to wonder if the actors say to themselves, "What ridiculous bullshit is this?" or if they're as clueless as their Gimple leader. After reading Normas Reedus' gibberish commentary on what is yet to come, I also wonder if they're really into this nonsense and think it's great or are they just toadying because there's a good paycheck that comes with said nonsense.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LadyArcadia said:

A summary of my viewing:

• Who is this chick? Wow. She's a bitch.  Who the fuck is she? Am I supposed to know her? I thought they lost their doctor? Seriously, who is this bitch?
  • A bunch of fighting. I have no idea what's going on. YES! I finally passed that hard stage in Candy Crush! That took me a while. woohoo!
  • More fighting. Who got hit? Is that Tara?  Who hit her? (husband: "blondie dude").  Oh, OK. *shrug*
  • Who's this big dude again?  I think I'm supposed to care about him. I don't know who he is.
  • Why are people turning? Wait a minute. Did they just seriously change a major plot point of the show? (husband: "yeah, I guess you can now get infected just by their blood"  Me: "No, that's bullshit. Rick like got a whole pint in his mouth multiple times" husband: "oh yeah. I don't know.  I have no idea what's going on")
  • Heh... zombie fall down the stairs. funny.  Hold up, an entire packed floor of sleeping people and none of them wake up to that?  Come on, now.
  • I have no idea who these people are.
  • I don't care who these people are.
  • I have no clue what's going on.
  • Back to Candy Crush.

Not even joking...

I watched blackhead popping videos on YouTube and read poop stories on Reddit.  I’m not even embarrassed to admit that.  Plus it’s the third or fourth time I did that.  I’m not even ashamed of myself.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, diebartdie said:

I guess the show is trying to say when walker guts are injected deep in your body (Tobin was stabbed in the chest, rando stair falling dude caught an arrow in his leg) that is = a walker bite. It's bullshit of course but whatever. The thing is though, why did that cause everyone so afflicted to all turn at precisely the same time? That has NEVER happened before and oh dear god here comes that stroke again...

I couldn’t agree more. And with all the unnecessary exposition on this show, you would think someone would say, “Why? Why now? I’ve been covered head to toe in gore.” Then, doctor type: “I’ve seen it before. It’s not consistent. But the blood of the infected, if there’s enough of it, and the body is already in a weakened state...it should be treated like a bite.” 

There. It’s of course still complete bullshit. But at least fans would have enough material to wank that because Rick was strong and no vital organ was affected he survived his hand wound. At least we would have a little bridge from comic to show. Take out one of the three moments I counted when Maggie’s leadership was referenced, edit down a few lingering stares, and throw us a fucking bone.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 14

I'm really worried.   I was bitten by a mosquito.   What if that mosquito bit a zombie before me?  Will I get the zombie virus?   And what if I go to a restaurant and the person preparing my food is a zombie?   Can I get it that way?   I don't know what to do.   Even if you say no, how can I be sure because the rules keep changing?

• Love 13
15 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Take out one of the three moments I counted when Maggie’s leadership was referenced, edit down a few lingering stares,

If you do that, take out every time Rick threaten/talks about killing Negan, either TO Negan or to someone else and then talks about failing to kill Negan, and remove the lengthy but silent closeup vignettes there wouldn't be much left, so yeah, plenty of time left to explain "New Rule."

All this time I thought walkers (who up til now infected and killed only by bite) were kind of like Komodo dragons, where the virulent bacteria in their mouths infected the animals they bit, causing them to quickly die. I know Komodo dragons are real and zombies aren't, but that has always been the method of infection and death by both. Oh, well.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, millennium said:

I'm really worried.   I was bitten by a mosquito.   What if that mosquito bit a zombie before me?  Will I get the zombie virus?   And what if I go to a restaurant and the person preparing my food is a zombie?   Can I get it that way?   I don't know what to do.   Even if you say no, how can I be sure because the rules keep changing?

Just be sure you're not around anyone when they sneeze because the zombie virus might be airborne now!

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

If you do that, take out every time Rick threaten/talks about killing Negan, either TO Negan or to someone else and then talks about failing to kill Negan, and remove the lengthy but silent closeup vignettes there wouldn't be much left, so yeah, plenty of time left to explain "New Rule."

If you took out every scene that's filmed with such bad lighting  you can't see what's happening anyway, you'd have about 45 minutes per episode that you could use to explain the "New Rule".

• Love 6
21 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yup, yup. I have to wonder if the actors say to themselves, "What ridiculous bullshit is this?" or if they're as clueless as their Gimple leader. After reading Normas Reedus' gibberish commentary on what is yet to come, I also wonder if they're really into this nonsense and think it's great or are they just toadying because there's a good paycheck that comes with said nonsense.

As far as Carl goes, they have all said as diplomatically as possible that they hate it and don't get it and that his character was the future of the show.  It was definitely written on their faces when asked about it.  But they still are just employees.  It will be interesting to hear what's said down the road when this series is over.  Meanwhile they are just employees and they have to say gibberish about how great it is.

21 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

I couldn’t agree more. And with all the unnecessary exposition on this show, you would think someone would say, “Why? Why now? I’ve been covered head to toe in gore.” Then, doctor type: “I’ve seen it before. It’s not consistent. But the blood of the infected, if there’s enough of it, and the body is already in a weakened state...it should be treated like a bite.” 

There. It’s of course still complete bullshit. But at least fans would have enough material to wank that because Rick was strong and no vital organ was affected he survived his hand wound. At least we would have a little bridge from comic to show. Take out one of the three moments I counted when Maggie’s leadership was referenced, edit down a few lingering stares, and throw us a fucking bone.

Love love love your post.  There are so many things that could be addressed like this, with just a FEW lines of dialogue acknowledging what is or has gone on.  And they NEVER do it.

• Love 6
On 3/26/2018 at 6:09 AM, Daltrey said:

I hated that too until he stood up to her and called her* out for her bullshit and she said "I like you". I figured it was her way of testing his mettle and he passed with flying colours; it was dumb as fuck, given the situation, but I can appreciate it, in concept.

It all felt lifted from some other type of hard hitting "hospital drama" but stuck out awkwardly in this show, especially because WHO THE HELL IS THIS WOMAN and why haven't we seen her before?  And she seemed pretty competent to have around for midwifin' if necessary, at least enough that FPP didn't have to go sacrifice himself on getting a baby doctor back for the invisible pregnancy.  I'd rather have that lady help me deliver a baby than young dude Siddiq, too.  Oh well, she left as fast as she came in.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, peach said:

WHO THE HELL IS THIS WOMAN

That's exactly what I was yelling when I finally watched this episode.  Had we ever seen her before?  Were we even supposed to know who she was?  Stupid.  Stupid stupid stupid show.

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

That's exactly what I was yelling when I finally watched this episode.  Had we ever seen her before?  Were we even supposed to know who she was?  Stupid.  Stupid stupid stupid show.

This is indicative of where I'm at with this show. I still don't know if she's someone we've met before or not. Every week, there's a character or situation where I honestly can't remember who this is or what has happened. This never happens to me with other shows. I'm forgetting things that literally happened one week ago. It speaks to how disjointed and inconsistent the plot and characterization are that I can't remember who half these people are or what their motivation even is. Who killed Henry's brother? I don't remember. Who's the lady yelling at Saddiq? No fucking clue. Why is Carol talking to the tall guy? Oh cool, she's going to monologue a bit to remind me we're supposed to care about him for some reason, so he's definitely dying in this episode.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peach said:

As far as Carl goes, they have all said as diplomatically as possible that they hate it and don't get it and that his character was the future of the show.

I have never watched any of the addendums, after-show chit-chat with the high-pitched Chris Whateverhisnameis (I always managed to love the series I watched without needing to have what I just saw explained to me in case I was too dumb to "get it") or anything other than the actual program itself. BUT, love Carl or hate him, he was the character we got to know - a character who among CDB was the only one who will eventually have no memory or even longings for life pre-apocalypse. Therefore he (and maybe with Enid - yeah, I know - shut up Enid) would be an important part of the new life, world and new reality of the future. So Gimple killed him but just killing him wasn't enough. He had to killed in the dumbest, most mundane way possible, to usher in... Saddiq. He's a friend! Oh, and a doctor to help the previously unseen and unknown, ultra-cynical doctor. What's her name, again?

• Love 10
3 hours ago, sarthaz said:

This is indicative of where I'm at with this show. I still don't know if she's someone we've met before or not. Every week, there's a character or situation where I honestly can't remember who this is or what has happened. This never happens to me with other shows. I'm forgetting things that literally happened one week ago. It speaks to how disjointed and inconsistent the plot and characterization are that I can't remember who half these people are or what their motivation even is. Who killed Henry's brother? I don't remember. Who's the lady yelling at Saddiq? No fucking clue. Why is Carol talking to the tall guy? Oh cool, she's going to monologue a bit to remind me we're supposed to care about him for some reason, so he's definitely dying in this episode.

Dont feel bad, I thought Maggie had the baby off camera when they showed Gracie. I forgot that whole sequence of events where Rick murdered her parents during failed kill Negan attempt 106.

• Love 3

Yes. the 'tainted weapons' plot point comes directly from the comics, and it's a rather significant point in the Saviors story which I won't explain because it's a spoiler. But, if you planned all along to do the Savior story, the tainted weapon had to be a part of it, so for the entire show up till that point you needed to preserve the concept of walker goo being an infective agent. The problem is, they didn't do that at ALL. It's almost as if the show didn't have a story board with the major points of the story mapped out years ahead of time. That they would preserve the story for these upcoming plot points. Instead, it seems like they have just been making it up as they go along, and now that they need the 'tainted weapon' story it's a major retcon. Part of that I blame on Nicotero, he has to come up with spectacular and shocking gore moments for almost every episode, so often he violated the 'tainted weapon' canon for his gore shot of the week. Sure it's sloppy story telling, but it goes beyond just pushing the gore envelope each week. Earlier in this very Savior story arc we had the memorable encounter with Rick and the walker with the machete stuck in him that Rick cut his hand on. WTF, that was an unnecessary scene that occured in this very story arc, where the 'tainted weapon' plot point was looming. It's just INCREDIBLY poor story telling and it brings people out of the story completely because it's such a total retcon. I can attribute this to nothing short of incompetence.

• Love 16
On 3/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, Raven1707 said:

The Sunday Cable Ratings are in for "Do Not Send Us Astray":

"The Walking Dead” improved week to week, rising 0.2 in adults 18-49 to 3.0 and to 6.77 million viewers (from 6.66 million).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-march-25-2018/

Here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 8, so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million
11-05-17 “Monsters” 8.519 million
11-12-17 “Some Guy” 8.688 million
11-19-17 “The Big Scary U” 7.845 million
11-26-17 “The King, The Widow, & Rick” 8.282 million
12-03-17 “Time For After” 7.468 million
12-10-17 “How It’s Gotta Be” 7.885 million

02-25-18 “Honor”  8.282 million
03-04-18 “The Lost or the Plunderers” 6.820 million
03-11-18 “Dead or Alive Or” 6.604 million
03-18-18 “The Key” 6.663 million
03-25-18 “Do Not Send Us Astray” 6.774 million

It looks like I'm not the only fan who decided to stop watching after they killed Carl. The drop after "Honor" seems significant and to have stuck.

However I think I pretty much got what happened - or didn't happen - in the episode just from reading this thread.

9 hours ago, peach said:

It all felt lifted from some other type of hard hitting "hospital drama" but stuck out awkwardly in this show, especially because WHO THE HELL IS THIS WOMAN and why haven't we seen her before?  And she seemed pretty competent to have around for midwifin' if necessary, at least enough that FPP didn't have to go sacrifice himself on getting a baby doctor back for the invisible pregnancy.  I'd rather have that lady help me deliver a baby than young dude Siddiq, too.  Oh well, she left as fast as she came in.

Maybe she was related to redhsirt car passenger Neil.... They killed Neil! (I think that was his name...)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Bongo Fury said:

Yes. the 'tainted weapons' plot point comes directly from the comics, and it's a rather significant point in the Saviors story which I won't explain because it's a spoiler. But, if you planned all along to do the Savior story, the tainted weapon had to be a part of it, so for the entire show up till that point you needed to preserve the concept of walker goo being an infective agent. The problem is, they didn't do that at ALL. It's almost as if the show didn't have a story board with the major points of the story mapped out years ahead of time. That they would preserve the story for these upcoming plot points. Instead, it seems like they have just been making it up as they go along, and now that they need the 'tainted weapon' story it's a major retcon. Part of that I blame on Nicotero, he has to come up with spectacular and shocking gore moments for almost every episode, so often he violated the 'tainted weapon' canon for his gore shot of the week. Sure it's sloppy story telling, but it goes beyond just pushing the gore envelope each week. Earlier in this very Savior story arc we had the memorable encounter with Rick and the walker with the machete stuck in him that Rick cut his hand on. WTF, that was an unnecessary scene that occured in this very story arc, where the 'tainted weapon' plot point was looming. It's just INCREDIBLY poor story telling and it brings people out of the story completely because it's such a total retcon. I can attribute this to nothing short of incompetence.

I think a lot of people would be OK with this laziness if they just made even the slightest effort to explain it. "Wow, this didn't use to work. The virus must have mutated!" BAM! Good to go. But treating us all like morons who wouldn't immediately go "WTF IS THIS SHIT?" is where they really screwed up. Same with the characters. It was totally unfair to Negan to act like he missed this massively obvious weapon idea and wouldn't look at Eugene like "Are you serious? I've been fighting zombies for days/months/years (who even knows). This doesn't actually work." Give him a moment to say, "Well shit in my britches. This works now! My dick is so hard."

It's annoying when a show changes history to fit the plot (Reapers are angels? Magic is literally a drug now? Aunt Vivian is who?), but you have to make some effort to acknowledge that you're changing everything. You have to have one character say, "When did Carl suddenly become Jesus? Must have been when I left for a supply run."  Otherwise, you just look like an asshole who doesn't give a shit about your characters or your fans.

• Love 6
On 3/26/2018 at 1:51 AM, AgentRXS said:

I wish I could photoshop Negan's face onto Fonzie's body. Then this photo would be the embodiment of this season.  I also wish I could delete this episode out of existence.

Of course Tara was nailed with a "clean" arrow. I hope they put her down as precaution and find out that Darryl's arrow was "clean" after fact.

Jumping_The_Shark_happyDays.jpg

On 3/26/2018 at 1:53 AM, sarthaz said:

Simon: Let's all group up in the open and advance slowly on higher ground.

Viewers: That sounds like a really stupid plan. Won't they just shoot all of you?

Simon: Nope. They can't hit shit, and I'm wearing plot armor.

How does this show continue to get worse? I'm on Facebook, and some article about viewers hating Negan is trending. Um ... Negan ain't the fucking problem. This episode was able to fucking suck without him anywhere near it.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:09 AM, Daltrey said:

I hated that too until he stood up to her and called her* out for her bullshit and she said "I like you". I figured it was her way of testing his mettle and he passed with flying colours; it was dumb as fuck, given the situation, but I can appreciate it, in concept. That was about it though, for this episode. I've been far more forgiving than most up to this point, but this was the episode that broke the camel's back. Never before have I so actively, consistently and frequently expressed my incredulous disbelief at a single episode of television....out loud....and I live alone. To put into perspective the magnitude of how utterly horrible and inanely fucking stupid this episode was with regard to how it completely negated the established rules of the universe and any common sense or knowledge gained by its inhabitants.....I used to read message board threads for various shows where people claimed they would FF through parts they didn't care for, and I thought that was the most idiotic thing I'd ever heard; only a complete moron would do that! Well, consider me one of your moronic brethren....The Walking Dead has managed to do what I would have claimed to be the impossible; I almost made it to the end, but when that fat, blubbering nobody in the king size bed started crying about how he was too much of a wuss to kill himself before turning it was more than I could handle. I grabbed the remote and my fat, mere mortal thumb hit that button like there was no tomorrow. It was brief!....but I caved. It just could not be helped, my moral superiority is now a fading memory.

I know I'm in the minority, but JDM and his shit eating, scenery chewing Negan portrayal, in all it's cartoonish buffoon glory, is the best thing about this show right now. It's gone on too long and I'll be glad to see him dispatched, however that occurs, but for now it's pretty much the only thing keeping me coming back.

Oh, P.S., every single one of you, up to this point, gets a "like".

It's a combination of horrible lazy writing and Negan being the Cousin Oliver or Scrappy Doo of the series.

• Love 3

So, let me get this straight.  Not only did they introduce the 'walker-soaked weapons' in this episode - without setting up any hints of it in past seasons - but they had the characters forget the prison sequence of having sick & injured people confined with everyone else (no guards or nothing), and thus setting up a perfect kill zone for the reanimated, as well??

I can't even begin to treat this Show with respect & attention to detail anymore, if the writers and producers don't.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, sarthaz said:

I think a lot of people would be OK with this laziness if they just made even the slightest effort to explain it. "Wow, this didn't use to work. The virus must have mutated!" BAM! Good to go. But treating us all like morons who wouldn't immediately go "WTF IS THIS SHIT?" is where they really screwed up. Same with the characters. It was totally unfair to Negan to act like he missed this massively obvious weapon idea and wouldn't look at Eugene like "Are you serious? I've been fighting zombies for days/months/years (who even knows). This doesn't actually work." Give him a moment to say, "Well shit in my britches. This works now! My dick is so hard."

It's annoying when a show changes history to fit the plot (Reapers are angels? Magic is literally a drug now? Aunt Vivian is who?), but you have to make some effort to acknowledge that you're changing everything. You have to have one character say, "When did Carl suddenly become Jesus? Must have been when I left for a supply run."  Otherwise, you just look like an asshole who doesn't give a shit about your characters or your fans.

Wow, you could actually write this show! That sounds so much like something Negan would say - but your dialogue is actually funny! And pulls together the implausibility of this show so nicely. So why on earth can't they hire some writers that can write?

Agree too about the retconning. It's just so sloppy on this show. As for your references - Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Fresh Prince of Bel Air? It will drive me crazy all night if I can't get confirmation!

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, PreBabylonia said:

Agree too about the retconning. It's just so sloppy on this show. As for your references - Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Fresh Prince of Bel Air? It will drive me crazy all night if I can't get confirmation!

Confirmed!

10 hours ago, qtpye said:

It's a combination of horrible lazy writing and Negan being the Cousin Oliver or Scrappy Doo of the series.

Negan is the Hannah McKay of TWD - show-killing, ridiculous and annoying character being shoved down our throats for eternity.

This is for agentrxs

Jumping_The_Shark_happyDays.jpg.1b3eb5c83595d483a3458a643c659bc6 copy.jpg

• Love 14

Tonight I was watching The Green Mile (one of the only two decent movie adaptations of a Stephen King novel, along with Shawshank Redemption) on AMC; it’s one of those movies I can watch a hundred times without getting bored with it.

After the movie ended, I was preoccupied with something else and didn’t immediately switch off the TV or change the channel - so it was a few minutes before I realized the next thing on the AMC lineup was a re-airing of this TWD episode.

Anyway, a funny thing happened: after watching 3-4 minutes of this episode, I realized I was bored as bluedilly fuck; I didn’t even WANT to watch it a second time.  I ended up flipping over to a run of Grindhouse: Death Proof on another channel.  

My, how are the mighty fallen.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Nashville said:

Tonight I was watching The Green Mile (one of the only two decent movie adaptations of a Stephen King novel, along with Shawshank Redemption) on AMC; it’s one of those movies I can watch a hundred times without getting bored with it.

After the movie ended, I was preoccupied with something else and didn’t immediately switch off the TV or change the channel - so it was a few minutes before I realized the next thing on the AMC lineup was a re-airing of this TWD episode.

Anyway, a funny thing happened: after watching 3-4 minutes of this episode, I realized I was bored as bluedilly fuck; I didn’t even WANT to watch it a second time.  I ended up flipping over to a run of Grindhouse: Death Proof on another channel.  

I thought the movie version of "The Dead Zone" was good.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

At this point, I don't even enjoy reading the recaps anymore. 

Tonight I was watching The Green Mile (one of the only two decent movie adaptations of a Stephen King novel,

I think The Mist is very good, very suspenseful and scary. I remember being surprised at seeing TWD actors in it when I rewatched a few years back, and I never knew the screenplay was written by Frank Darabont. Interesting.

Pet Sematary and Misery are both very true adapdations of the books, IMO.

it was a few minutes before I realized the next thing on the AMC lineup was a re-airing of this TWD episode.

Anyway, a funny thing happened: after watching 3-4 minutes of this episode, I realized I was bored as bluedilly fuck; 

I missed most of this ep as I dozed: missed Tara getting shot and a bunch of other... stuff, and I have no interest in going back to watch again. Gee, when I decided to start watching and catching up with this show after giving up in Se02 and started with SE03,  I automatically rewatched every episode even when I'd missed nothing, but now I just can't work up enough interest. Your "bluedilly fuck" caught my attention way more than did anything I did see on the show. :p

Ow, my heart.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

You must admit that this is pretty enjoyable:

Maggie stands there breathing really hard, finally saying, "I wanted them dead. All of them. Negan most of all." Rick is like, "Yeeeaaahh. Me too. I guess? Maybe not as badly? I mean, he made some good points about my shit leadership? It's not like he killed my son -- oh shit, I'm sorry, Maggie, that came out all wrong." Rick actually just says that he saw Negan out there and tried to kill him. "I didn't," he admits, "but I tried." Also he set some zombies on fire and it was pretty cool, but let's not dwell on the cool parts. "Thank you," Maggie tells him. She wouldn't if she knew how lamely Rick fucked up trying to fight Negan.

To be fair, he couldn't kill the Gov. either and in that case he was dumb enough to try it with his bare hands, but at least he tried and failed only once, not half a dozen times.

• Love 1

Hahaha! To be honest, today was a slow day at work, so I did read the recap. Good work as always. Since this site largely stopped doing written recaps, I've gone to recaps at EW and Vulture. The recaps are fine, but reliving the boring episodes has been, well, boring. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I think The Mist is very good, very suspenseful and scary. I remember being surprised at seeing TWD actors in it when I rewatched a few years back, and I never knew the screenplay was written by Frank Darabont. Interesting.

The Mist was good until they got out of the store, then it went off the rails.  I thought the ending sucked.

I thought Pet Sematary was dreck - but then again, that was one of my least favorite King novels.

Misery did totally slip my mind, though; I would definitely put it in the Top 5.

Delores Claiborne too, come to think of it.  Kathy Bates can do little wrong in my eyes.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Omar G. said:

Ow, my heart.

Not your fault, @Omar G.  You can only work with what TPTB give you.  If they hand you a pile of shit, it doesn’t matter if you sculpt and mold that shit into a dead-ringer of Rodin’s The Thinker - it’s still a shit statue.  :)

That being said - some of your lines...

These are the sleepiest motherfuckers I've seen in my whole life, and I saw The English Patient in a theater.

...are absolutely stellar.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Delores Claiborne too, come to think of it.  Kathy Bates can do little wrong in my eyes.

I love Kathy, and liked the movie. Didn't like the book much though.

I thought Pet Sematary was dreck - but then again, that was one of my least favorite King novels.

Funny how perceptions change over time or maybe I'm just more cynical. The first time I read that I was engrossed. The second time it annoyed me more than anything, especially the droning on that tomcats who are neutered are just useless blobs. So, yeah, people - leave all your cats intact because neutering them means you're less of a man and what the world really needs is a million more homeless kittens, you nitwit! Ugh. I prefer the shorter Stephen King books. The suspense is ramped up ("Misery"? OMG, reading that had me writhing) and his longer books are so damned repetitive, IMO.

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

The recaps are fine, but reliving the boring episodes has been, well, boring.

For me, the recaps are so much more enjoyable than the show.

The Mist was good until they got out of the store, then it went off the rails.  I thought the ending sucked.

I never read the book, so enjoyed the movie and the performances. Later learned the ending was drastically changed. Don't know if that was good or bad.

Liked "The Dark Half" too. It quite scared me, although I could have done with about a hundred less repetitions of "The sparrows are flying".

What about "Thinner" (movie version)? Saw it once and didn't like it. Watched again recently and liked it more.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Nashville said:

You've got more resolve than I.  I didn't then, and still, feel no desire to watch it a first time.

10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I haven't watched The Mist yet, but am looking forward to it at some point.  (looking forward to seeing Laurie Holden again - yes, I am that shallow)

I first watched Pet Sematary when I was really young.  I hated Stephen King (because the movie was based on his book) for a few weeks after that - nightmares and whatnot.  Then, it turns out, I was thought to have been born with spinal meningitis.  Hate the movie or not, the scene where Lewis injects the poison in the re-animated Gage, with the crying and then the "no fair.  no fair." before falling dead is one I have never been able to forget.

I haven't seen the remake, but one of my favorite SK book-to-visual media adaptations was IT.  Really liked the original Salem's Lot too.  Remake was ok, but original was better.

ETA:  I don't remember if I have actually watched The Dark Half (all of it, at least) or not, but I do remember playing the game based off the book on the computer years and years ago.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

Okay, something is wrong. I decided to try and watch this ep, if only to see Tara get shot with an arrow.  Sunday night I fell asleep and now I'm thinking this show emits some sort of soporific through my speakers, because I fell asleep again and woke AGAIN during the "Terror."

"I will not be beaten!" I thought, and rewound once more. I saw... some guy at Hilltop talking to Maggie. She's telling him how lucky they are to have Sadiq, since it seems that tales of his medical prowess have already spread like wildfire through Hilltop and that guy is telling Maggie they're lucky to have her. I"m not sure why, but anyway - skipping past all the silly, synchronized carnage in the dark, zombie taking a header down the stairs and we see everyone barging into Tara's room which looks like it's been lifted straight from "Gone with the Wind". Admirable that she takes the time during "ALL OUT WAR" and other stressors to make her bed so neatly. They use candlelight, but have power enough to keep a bunch of digital clocks going. They are all blah blah blah, whatever and GODDAM it, Daryl! Stop placing that one lock of hair directly over your right eye. It's annoying the shit out of me and how can you properly see to shoot anyone and - but the thing is, I never saw Tara get shot and I simply cannot watch this again. Hearing Simon say, "Big sloppy wet kiss" (even though I know that is one of the expressions men use when talking to each other in the midst of battle, even a stupid battle like this one)once is way more than enough.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never saw Tara get shot and I simply cannot watch this again

That's a very good decision.  I did watch it.  Even after reading the spoilers first and knowing that I was supposed to see Dwight shoot Tara with an arrow, I can't say that I actually saw this happen with my own eyes.  The whole scene, which lasted maybe a minute or two, was (per usual) shot in darkness.   I barely realized it was Tara that Simon and Dwight were sneaking up on.  In perhaps a total of one or two seconds, you see Dwight and Simon pause in their pursuit, and you see Tara fall, evidently shot.  As I watched it, I couldn't have told you which of the two, Dwight or Simon, shot Tara.  And I couldn't have told you she was shot with an arrow, as opposed to a gun, a slingshot or a thrown knife.  Really, for all I could actually see, Tara could have just fainted and fallen down, and not been shot at all.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, AngelaHunter said:

What about "Thinner" (movie version)? Saw it once and didn't like it. Watched again recently and liked it more.

From what I remember, it was pretty close to the book.  AFAIC, the best movie adaptation of a King Book is The Dead Zone with The Shining being a very close 2nd.  Cujo was decent as well, but I liked in the book how they described what the poor dog was thinking and how he really didn't want to bite people :(  The worst adaptation, big or small screen, has to be none other than Under the Dome!

• Love 1

It's kind of sad that the other day I started this ep and stopped about 10 mins in.  Today, I got halfway and stopped.  It's gotten so damn boring.  I don't want it to be, but there you have it.  Recently, I just started Game of Thrones and this in light of that is just.......I don't have words. :(

• Love 1