Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation: Clink Boom and Cheese Fondue

• Start Topic

I was actually thinking that Lucy's probably safe because of the Nurses' Ball, Frank loves his corporate sponsors and cool jamz and llamas every year and she's entwined with it - especially with Robin not always around - pretty good. 

ETA...Oh, and the book too, that was probably a good sign for her continued non-deadness that they made Lucy the author of the book.  They'll want to trot that out for a while yet.

But...it's also a bad soap story if the biggest death in this Ryan story is Kiki's.  Why even bother then.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I was actually thinking that Lucy's probably safe because of the Nurses' Ball, Frank loves his corporate sponsors and cool jamz and llamas every year and she's entwined with it - especially with Robin not always around - pretty good. 

ETA...Oh, and the book too, that was probably a good sign for her continued non-deadness that they made Lucy the author of the book.  They'll want to trot that out for a while yet.

But...it's also a bad soap story if the biggest death in this Ryan story is Kiki's.  Why even bother then.

Personally, I'm hoping Lucy is injured by Ryan. Maybe a brief coma? I just want a reaction from Kevin when he reappears. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Ladybyrd said:

Personally, I'm hoping Lucy is injured by Ryan. Maybe a brief coma? I just want a reaction from Kevin when he reappears. 

Oooooooh, that would be amazing!

It would also be a great way to get Serena to town and involved in this story!

#idreamedadream

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

From the spoilers:

Josslyn is grateful for Cam's friendship

Anything involving Cam immediately becomes my favorite story.

Liz and Franco talk things out

I wish this meant they'll decide to break up, but this is GH.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

Is Cameron like, into Joss? I'd assume so, because if not that's a real hmm moment plotting wise.

He is. When Joss asked him to take being her boyfriend so that Oscar would tell the real reason why he dumped her. His feelings were growing for her as they spent more time together and he kissed her. However, he is a good kid and knew the real reason why Oscar dumped Joss so he finally told her the truth about Oscar's tumor before Joss started to develop feelings for Cameron.

New promo:

The vibe I'm getting from this is that Ryan attacks someone, but doesn't succeed in killing them.  And I'm pretty sure we've seen spoilers that Ryan targets Carly this week.  'Bout time, Chamberlain.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Maybe he'll strangle her into a nice, quiet coma.  That would be delightful.

Ugh, but then we'd get scenes of the whole town tearfully coming to her bedside to beg her to live.

It's a catch-22 alright.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 8

What other young females (under 18) are on canvas besides Joss, though? None.

And we all know Emma will never be recast as she should be. So, it will be another three to five years until she may get a “real” story.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2
On 1/9/2019 at 11:47 PM, ulkis said:

Never say never with this show, but I don't think any recurring vets will be killed off. Frank won't use them very much, but he won't kill them. The two exceptions were AJ and Duke, and Duke hadn't exactly been a hit when they brought him back.

And AJ was fat.  

• Love 2

Oh, Starr on OLTL - a young blonde heroine that Frank clearly is modeling Joss's characterization after - had a best friend, Langston.  Langston had a pairing and some small dramas, but very rarely got stories of her own and mostly existed as a talk-to for Starr, to prop Starr's relationship with Cole (who Oscar resembles to me), and so on.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

Sami on DOOL (another blonde, and teen at the time, although "heroine" is debatable) had a Langston named Jamie. She was played by Miriam Parrish. The character just abruptly vanished when the actress married former co-star Robert Kelker-Kelly (later to be GH's Stavros recast). But she was around for years, and people were always asking why she never got stories of her own. She was just there to be a talk-to and conscience figure that Sami never actually listened to.

I guess a best friend with no life of her own is one sign that you've really arrived when you're a blond teen girl on a soap! 

• Love 2

What sucks in Langston's case - and jsbt can speak to this much better than I can - is that Langston came close to a moment of ascendency, but then the show/Frank/Frons/whoever shoved the character back down into second banana status, even though she was becoming the more interesting character as OLTL kept sanding away any spunk or personality Starr had previously had.

But thinking about it, the show probably doesn't think Joss needs a Langston because all the youngsters spend too much time talking to their parents.  Carly's Joss' best friend. #ick

• Love 2
4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh, Starr on OLTL - a young blonde heroine that Frank clearly is modeling Joss's characterization after - had a best friend, Langston.  Langston had a pairing and some small dramas, but very rarely got stories of her own and mostly existed as a talk-to for Starr, to prop Starr's relationship with Cole (who Oscar resembles to me), and so on.

Now that you mention it, Oscar really does resemble Cole.

As to Langston, no story was better than the one they did give her - cheating on Marko with that... thing named Ford.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

As to Langston, no story was better than the one they did give her - cheating on Marko with that... thing named Ford.

That story took a character I liked fine and made me loathe her, I was so happy when her chickens finally came home to roost.  And sadly, that's what Langston's purpose was her last year on the show, to make Ford a viable character.  And once she'd done so enough that they could bump him up to Jess/Tess, the show dropped her.

But anyway, yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the show eventually introduces another teen girl whose life is about listening to Joss whine about Oscar or Cam or both.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

But anyway, yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the show eventually introduces another teen girl whose life is about listening to Joss whine about Oscar or Cam or both.

"You're so lucky, Joss. You've got an amazing boyfriend, and like the coolest mom in the world. And your Uncle Sonny, and Jason...and Michael is the best big brother ever. And little Avery adores you. I wish I had your life."  

"I guess you're right, Kaylee. As much as I complain, I really lucked out."  

"Well, gotta run. I'm opening at Kelly's! Call me later, okay?" 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I have no problem with them beefing up the teen scene, but, ugh, to those conversations.  I'm with dubbel zout.  I'm so tired of TV being so resistant to the idea that a male and a female can be just friends.

• Love 1

GH does do -- or, in recent history, has done -- some male/female friendships that are nonsexual. Carly/Jason, of course. Britt/Brad. Franco/Liesl. Nina/Curtis. Liz/Griffin. Stella/Mike (which I think it's fair to say has gone beyond her professional connection). Recently, they've strengthened Sonny/Laura, which has some history.

But it's such a pairing-oriented medium that if there's no obstacle, like a family tie, incompatible sexual orientations, or one character being in a solid relationship and not on the market for a triangle, I see why they hate to waste chemistry. Some of it is audience expectations. I can't count the number of times I've seen viewers on fan forums sum up the mission of soaps as love in the afternoon. It's true that "love" comes in many forms, but I usually take that to mean romance, rather than the love in the afternoon that, say, Monica has for her sick grandson.   

Sometimes characters turn out to work better as friends, I agree. I think trying for more ruined Luke/Felicia forever in 1999-2000, and at least damaged Liz/Nik in 2009-10. But that happens in real life sometimes. 

The teen scene at present is so thinly populated that I don't think Cameron could ever be Joss's best friend and most trusted confidant with no interest in more on either side, unless they decided Cameron was gay. If they had four more teen players who were on a lot and being written for, and so each of them was getting romantic needs met with someone else, then maybe. But if they had four more teen players who were on a lot, some of them would be girls, and then we'd be back to Joss having a "Langston" or a "Jamie." 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1

Prace yourselves the golden duo are sleeping together for the first time in years! Next week jasam have “relations” as burton put it. How romantic. Oh and apparently a car accident with old dog rescuing Oscar and Joss gets Sam off.

Edited by Hater
40 minutes ago, Hater said:

Oh and apparently a car accident with old dog rescuing Oscar and Joss gets Sam off.

Spec based on that - maybe Ryan tries to kill Sonny and Carly (woo!) by rigging a car accident, but Joss and Oscar are the ones who are driving it?

On 1/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, TeeVee329 said:

What sucks in Langston's case - and jsbt can speak to this much better than I can - is that Langston came close to a moment of ascendency, but then the show/Frank/Frons/whoever shoved the character back down into second banana status, even though she was becoming the more interesting character as OLTL kept sanding away any spunk or personality Starr had previously had.

That was after the 2008 strike. Just before it kicked in they appeared poised to turn Starr back into a teen spitfire because she lost her boyfriend (Cole) to Langston, something Carlivati was setting up. During the strike FV got Starr pregnant and the teen squad formation was set for life (and RC didn't exactly seem to shy away from it, in fairness). But yes, to the topic, FV has always been enamored of pure white teen queens with varying talent. Joss is no exception. The girl should not be carrying stuff, but because she fits a very specific model she is.

On 1/15/2019 at 2:21 PM, Fellaway said:

Now that you mention it, Oscar really does resemble Cole.

That is no coincidence. FV has tried to recreate Starr and Cole from OLTL at least twice on this show. I assume he feels Joss and Oscar is his success. (Cam could easily fit the same mold)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

But if they had four more teen players who were on a lot, some of them would be girls, and then we'd be back to Joss having a "Langston" or a "Jamie." 

I think I might prefer that.  At least, I would over Cameron and Joss and Oscar being some eternal triangle, just because they're the only teens on the show.  That's the definition of predictable.  And, much like Lou Grant hated spunk, I hate predictable.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I think I might prefer that.  At least, I would over Cameron and Joss and Oscar being some eternal triangle, just because they're the only teens on the show.  That's the definition of predictable.  And, much like Lou Grant hated spunk, I hate predictable.

If we aren't going to have a true SORASing with Cam (he is at his real age, believe or not) I would love to bring in a love interest. Why not take advantage of "All The Boys I Loved Before" and "Crazy Rich Asians" and cast an asian girl as a love interest.

• Love 3

There were rumors they had intended to resurrect the Asian Quarter a few years ago. I don't know if it was true but it'd be doable. It's not like poor Tia Carrere is that busy (she was robbed of a bigger career).

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

If we aren't going to have a true SORASing with Cam (he is at his real age, believe or not) I would love to bring in a love interest. Why not take advantage of "All The Boys I Loved Before" and "Crazy Rich Asians" and cast an asian girl as a love interest.

If and when they add a character to that youth group, male or female, it definitely should be a POC.  There needs to be a younger POC because clearly the boat has sailed and sunk on the show ever caring about TJ.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

They really need to SORAS Spencer and Emma, though I know they won't.  I know it's not without precedent for a show to SORAS some of the kids and not others, but it seems particularly egregious in this case, since the quad we suffered through wasn't that long ago and half have been SORASed and half not.

Money's tight, of course, but if they're not gonna make full use of characters already on the canvas, they need to bring in some fresh blood to beef up the teen and twentysomething sets.  It's those age groups that'll bring in new, younger viewers, if they want to sustain the show.  Of course, this is presupposing the network wants to sustain the show, and, yeah, well.

• Love 2

If the writing for a larger younger set is going to be as dumb as the writing now, I don't need new characters. Though it would be somewhat refreshing to see teenagers acting like teenagers, instead of adults acting like teenagers.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

If the writing for a larger younger set is going to be as dumb as the writing now, I don't need new characters. Though it would be somewhat refreshing to see teenagers acting like teenagers, instead of adults acting like teenagers.

Well, the writing is just as dumb for the adults, so...  Though I personally don't need anymore teenagers.  I generally find TV kids insufferable, though Cameron seems promising.

Edited by Fellaway

"Give in to temptation" is also a weird way to phrase it in the headline.  That would have been if Sam had still been married to Drew and she and Jason had, I dunno, dramatically sexed up in the rain or something (I'm thinking Antonio/Jessica/Nash on OLTL).  Even not caring about these characters, it could have been such a hot, soapy triangle, and this oatmeal they went with instead is not it.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

"Give in to temptation" is also a weird way to phrase it in the headline.  That would have been if Sam had still been married to Drew and she and Jason had, I dunno, dramatically sexed up in the rain or something (I'm thinking Antonio/Jessica/Nash on OLTL).  Even not caring about these characters, it could have been such a hot, soapy triangle, and this oatmeal they went with instead is not it.

For the most part, I agree. On paper. Unfortunately, the actors (all three, I’m not singling anyone out) were not professional enough to do this. It’s clear this wasn’t on TPTB because even if they were like, “fuck ‘em, we are writing this story,” it would have been sabatoged by the portrayers. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Money's tight, of course, but if they're not gonna make full use of characters already on the canvas, they need to bring in some fresh blood to beef up the teen and twentysomething sets.  It's those age groups that'll bring in new, younger viewers, if they want to sustain the show.  Of course, this is presupposing the network wants to sustain the show, and, yeah, well.

I'm beginning to believe that they don't want to.  As ratings drop and criticism rises, they still do the same old boring stuff.  It makes me think that no matter what the producers try or how good the actors, someone up top is determined to keep the focus on his pets and let it limp into the sunset.

• Love 5

They have no chemistry. Anti climatic. What’s worse than kelly mumbling? Kelly mumbling with food in her mouth. Even more sad the grilled cheese and wine. All these things this pairing didn’t remotely ever do.

Also it doesn't help that Burton looks hideous, but that's a different story for another time.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, Hater said:

Also it doesn't help that Burton looks hideous, but that's a different story for another time.

Speaking of . . . I check my email during GH, so I listen more than watch. But every time I've looked up lately, he's been wearing his "smell the fart" face. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hater said:

They have no chemistry. Anti climatic. What’s worse than kelly mumbling? Kelly mumbling with food in her mouth. Even more sad the grilled cheese and wine. All these things this pairing didn’t remotely ever do.

I couldn’t get past how pathetic that grilled cheese looked and she’s like, “omgah orgasm the best grilled cheese ever in my life.” FOH.

• Love 1