Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation: Clink Boom and Cheese Fondue

• Start Topic

And as far as the idea I've seen around that he's not recastable. Of course he is. Patrick Drake is NOT a legacy character-his ex wife is, his child is by association to her mother. But he is absolutely NOT one.

From Guza straight on to the present day, the strong vibe I have gotten from TPTB is that Patrick was the important character that needed to have story at all times, and JT one of the leading men on the show, while Robin/KMc was some sort of useless hanger-on who would have been nothing without JT's tremendous charisma to carry her along.  I'd like to say this is unusual behavior for TPTB, but then I remember how they treated Genie Francis.

Never doubt the obsession these writers/Frank have for Sam.

And never doubt their adamantine determination to protect the character of Patrick at all costs.

• Love 3

And never doubt their adamantine determination to protect the character of Patrick at all costs.

I don't think these writers give a shit about Patrick. And even in Guza's day, I think that was more about Guza's annoyance with Robin than actually liking Patrick for Patrick's sake.

• Love 10

Woah woah wait . . . Tracy was briefly recast?  When?  With who? Why?

That's what I was wondering about it, too. If it was a temp recast, like for a day or something, that barely counts. JFP did that a lot, both on GH (Susan Diol as Alexis, anyone?) and OLTL. 

Edited by UYI

That's what I was wondering about it, too. If it was a temp recast, like for a day or something, that barely counts. JFP did that a lot, both on GH (Susan Diol as Alexis, anyone?) and OLTL. 

I don't know who played her but she showed up on my Lucy and scotty edits took me an while to figure out it was an temp Tracy recast lol.

JFP did that a lot, both on GH (Susan Diol as Alexis, anyone?)

That temp recast was because NLG's father died, and I believe Alexis was somewhere in the ONS story with Sonny at that point. Or he was going on trial yet again. At any rate, Alexis had more to do than look suspiciously at "Matteo."

Edited by dubbel zout

They never gave shit about Patrick. They won't protect him.

If that were true, it would be Patrick up to his eyeballs in the"Jake-is-Jason" secret. But it was Liz that got thrown under that bus. The shiny leading man was kept completely in the dark so he could be presented as just another victim of that dastardly Liez. (Not to mention keep him viable as a contender for Sam's affections). And has anybody - ANYBODY?! - called him out on his callous disregard of the welfare of the mother of his child? Nope, it's all about how innocent and blameless Patrick is in everything.  I've seen Brinks trucks with less protection then the writers give Patrick.

Edited by yowsah1
  • Love 6

If that were true, it would be Patrick up to his eyeballs in the"Jake-is-Jason" secret. But it was Liz that got thrown under that bus. The shiny leading man was kept completely in the dark so he could be presented as just another victim of that dastardly Liez. (Not to mention keep him viable as a contender for Sam's affections). And has anybody - ANYBODY?! - called him out on his callous disregard of the welfare of the mother of his child? Nope, it's all about how innocent and blameless Patrick is in everything I've seen Brinks trucks with less protection then the writers give Patrick.

Well, I will say the one thing that hasn't changed on GH is that man are favored over the women. I thought it was pretty shitty of the show towards Liz fans that they would have Nik flat out tell her and her deciding to keep the secret, but I don't think Patrick not knowing about Jakeson is protecting the character at all cost, it is just they aren't going out of their way to throw his character under the bus like Liz. The guy is barely ahead of Lucas who we see once a month and hasn't ever had a storyline to call his own, even when they had the perfect chance, when Robin was taken in 2012, hardly a leading man. As for Patrick disregard for Robin, it seems like they are writing everyone, right down to her mother with having disregard for her, just this shows attempt to cover up in how they have handled Robin's exit.

• Love 2

Well, I'll just say this and let it lie: I still think - structurally speaking - having Liz be the one to know and keep the Jakeson secret was the right move. Liz has the romantic obsession and past with Jason. Liz had the ONS and Zombie Jake with him.

Patrick? His only connections with Jason are secondhand, through Robin and Liz (and now Sam). And considering zero investment has been put into Samtrick, where would the suspense be, even if Patrick knew? No one gives a shit about Patrick/Sam (minus their fans) because even Stevie Wonder sees them and knows they are built on quicksand. Whereas Liz/Jason/Sam will forever endure to annoy another year.

Now the way Liz has gone about this does shit on her, and I say that as a Liz hater.

But in terms of "protecting" Patrick, etc.? No, I just don't see it and I do think this was one of the few times where those involved make sense, even if the methods do not.

• Love 12
And has anybody - ANYBODY?! - called him out on his callous disregard of the welfare of the mother of his child? Nope

Viewers are the only ones who care what's happened to Robin. I don't think it's fair to call out Patrick when absolutely no one on the canvas is concerned about her.

Liz/Jason/Sam will forever endure to annoy another year

Ugh. It will. Does anyone enjoy this? I cannot understand why the HWs try to keep this going. We all know how it's going to turn out. It's as inevitable as Sonny always winning.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 6

If they cared about Patrick, they'd give him a POV of some sort. He is just there to be Sam's back-up dude.

This will always be a complex answer for me. Everything you say is true. But clearly they care even if he's merely a back-up dude. He still serves a purpose. He still has to be written in a certain way for that to be viable. And if they recast the character? That's another point in the "We Care" box. This is the time to just write his ass out finally, IMO.

• Love 1

This will always be a complex answer for me. Everything you say is true. But clearly they care even if he's merely a back-up dude. He still serves a purpose.

But the purpose is to prop up Sam and Jason, that's the only reason they'd recast, because of Patrick's position in that story.  Without that, they wouldn't bother because there's no interest in Patrick himself.  

I mean, this week?  A talk-to, for Sam, for Anna, for Rebecca Budig even.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5

But the purpose is to prop up Sam and Jason, that's the only reason they'd recast, because of Patrick's position in that story. Without that, they wouldn't bother because there's no interest in Patrick himself.

I mean, this week? A talk-to, for Sam, for Anna, for Rebecca Budig even.

We agree. I'm not saying they care about Patrick in and of himself. I'm saying they care about him in context to other characters, specifically Sam right now. So to say the writers "don't care at all" doesn't really tell the whole story. They DO, that's why Patrick has been written innocently and perfect and that's why there would be a recast. So Sam can be torn. So Patrick can cry and beg for her, etc.

• Love 1

And in terms of recasting, I have nothing to really base this upon, but I am beginning to believe that the character is not being recast, but a guy who may or may not also be a doc and in the same age range. But we'll see. But assuming I turn out to be right, that tells me it isn't Patrick that is important, but a character demographic.

In any case, we should know soon. But Patrick himself, as far as I'm concerned, died in 2012 along with Robin when she "died".

• Love 2

I agree, but if it later fits the story mechanics of Sam and Jason, The Greatest Love Story Ever Told*, I could see them totally having Patrick turn on a dime and start playing dirty to win Sam.

* And it bums me out that we're back to this.  All this soliloquies Sam and now Spinelli keep getting about The Wonder of Jason make me itchy.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

I agree, but if it later fits the story mechanics of Sam and Jason, The Greatest Love Story Ever Told*, I could see them totally having Patrick turn on a dime and start playing dirty to win Sam.

I can't lie, I'll laugh so hard if Recast Patrick gets more juicy material and more screentime and then somehow wins an Emmy.

And in terms of recasting, I have nothing to really base this upon, but I am beginning to believe that the character is not being recast, but a guy who may or may not also be a doc and in the same age range. But we'll see. But assuming I turn out to be right, that tells me it isn't Patrick that is important, but a character demographic.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they'll do, so I don't want to say anything definitively. I do know that this show rarely does the smart thing, which would be to finally free Robin and end that storyline.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

Let's hope the new guy isn't another disaster of a friend for Patrick. None of those characters have worked, and they've all made Patrick look worse.

Oh, Pervy Pete and Sirhan Surgeon…we hardly knew ye!

• Love 3

In any case, we should know soon. But Patrick himself, as far as I'm concerned, died in 2012 along with Robin when she "died".

Agreed. The brief drug story in which MaxiePad and ShrewLu headlined was the last glimpse of the real Patrick Drake that we had.

And Lizzie has been pulling shit like this for years, starting at day one, so it's not fair to say that he's being protected at her expense. Plus it's Jason, who Lizzie lusted for even while she had GV's Lucky even before he became a druggie, so...

As for the way Robin's been treated, Patrick hasn't been nearly so bad for so long as Robin's own so-called MOTHER, who spent 2006-2012 barely there in her daughter's life and spent the entire first year after Robin's death ignoring Robin's husband and daughter when it would have counted the most for her own selfish needs...

Yeah, no, I still think many Robin fans have a double standard for how Patrick has treated her versus how her own selfish, self-absorbed mother has treated her.

• Love 2

for the way Robin's been treated, Patrick hasn't been nearly so bad for so long as Robin's own so-called MOTHER, who spent 2006-2012 

It's hard to hold those years against her when Finola Hughes was only on the show for two brief guest stints.

• Love 4

It's hard to hold those years against her when Finola Hughes was only on the show for two brief guest stints.

Yet in both of those guest stints she was either all about herself or all about blaming Robert for HER OWN loose ends from her own criminal past that put them where they ended up.

Let's hope the new guy isn't another disaster of a friend for Patrick. None of those characters have worked, and they've all made Patrick look worse. 

At this point, any friend of Patrick's they introduced, I'd just assume was a predator or criminal of some sort.  Did he go to med school at "Isle of Evil Med"? 

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, no, I still think many Robin fans have a double standard for how Patrick has treated her versus how her own selfish, self-absorbed mother has treated her.

Not this fan. Excluding Mac, Robin should be pissed at all these fuckers. All of them need a punch in the throat. A simple slap won't do.

Outside of the show simply being a ball of suck, I think I headed to the barge because I can't stand Robin's so called loved ones. I am not responsible for my actions, if she apologizes or takes any bkame for these a##holes choices.

Frank and Ron made this messy crappy bed, now GH has to lie in this shitfest.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 4

The only character on-screen that I can stand in relation to Robin is Jason. I'm sure that'll change soon, but hey, gotta give Ron credit for at least allowing the dude to imagine her and recognize her picture/ask questions.

• Love 1

I just saw that on Twitter, that Darby's here to be chem tested with Morgan.

Which...what?  So instead of creating some drama for Molly and TJ (who, oh man, fucking need it), the  character's here for Morgan slash a triangle with Kiki?  And if that's the case, why make her Molly and TJ's friend at all, why can't she be some random girl in a bar he meets?

Now I'm happy she's not Christina Baldwin Collins.

ETA...here's the picture I saw

CRohQnPVEAAahPY.png

Edited by TeeVee329

Which...what?  So instead of creating some drama for Molly and TJ (who, oh man, fucking need it), the  character's here for Morgan slash a triangle with Kiki?  And if that's the case, why make her Molly and TJ's friend at all, why can't she be some random girl in a bar he meets?

Now I'm happy she's not Christina Baldwin Collins.

She should be Christina because she is totally cute. Maybe Darby is Christina because the show thinks we would get easily confused by have Kristina and Christina on the same show.

Making her friends with Molly and TJ would be great because they need friends and it would be a good way to remind the audience that Molly and Morgan used to be bestie cousins.

But I don't think they're going to do anything with Darby being friends with Molly and TJ.  It's not a story for them, it's just the delivery method to throw this girl into Morgan's path and from there, most likely, into a triangle with Kiki.

The actress is cute...and familiar-looking.  Like...a young Liv Tyler...or something?

• Love 3
So this new Darby character is going to be chem tested at least with Morgan. Which I'm sure will turn into a triangle with him and Kiki.

How about a quad? Ava is still sniffing around Morgan, alas. To think I was all for their sordid romance at first.

The actress is cute...and familiar-looking.  Like...a young Liv Tyler...or something?

She hasn't really been in anything other than roles as Hot Waitress and Beautiful Girl. She'll probably be the female version of Nathan. 

How about a quad? Ava is still sniffing around Morgan, alas. To think I was all for their sordid romance at first.

Ah, the early days of Ava/Morgan. But even I'm ready to move on from them. He's such a douche and I really need to see her with someone her equal. NOT SONNY THOUGH.

• Love 4

She hasn't really been in anything other than roles as Hot Waitress and Beautiful Girl. She'll probably be the female version of Nathan. 

Oh, I wasn't saying that I thought I had actually seen her in something, just that she has a familiar look about her.

Woah woah wait . . . Tracy was briefly recast?  When?  With who? Why?

Back in 89, JE took maternity leave when her adopted daughter was born. An actress named Christine Jones played her-she was a soap vet from many different shows. I think it lasted about two months? So yeah it was a temporary replacement.  Sad to say, this is a perfect example of how the tide turns. Back then, she was important enough to recast.

Now if something happened? They'd say she was on vacation, if they said anything at all.

• Love 1

Back in 89, JE took maternity leave when her adopted daughter was born. An actress named Christine Jones played her-she was a soap vet from many different shows. I think it lasted about two months? So yeah it was a temporary replacement.  Sad to say, this is a perfect example of how the tide turns. Back then, she was important enough to recast.

Now if something happened? They'd say she was on vacation, if they said anything at all.

I just want it on the record that JE's "recast" was on GH longer than Finola's.**

**I say this not because I don't love JE (I do) or think Finola is more important to GH than Jane (they both are of the utmost importance). Just have had some negative experiences with some petty people.

• Love 1

I don't really understand why the length of time matters. 

Jane had a set amount of time because it was maternity leave, and she got the amount any new mom would get. Since it was an adoption, they knew about it ahead of time and she came back when it was over.

Edited by IWantCandy71

I don't really understand why the length of time matters. 

Jane had a set amount of time because it was maternity leave, and she got the amount any new mom would get. Since it was an adoption, they knew about it ahead of time and she came back when it was over.

I think Francie merely meant the Anna recast was such a failure she didn't even last as long as Jane's temp recast.

And I do think recasting Tracy would have probably been just as much of a failure if it hadn't been a temp. I assume they announced that when the recast took over. 

Edited by ulkikis