Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E15: One Job

I don’t know why Jack playing the piano on top of the dead guy at the crime scene cracked me up as much as it did (and how bonkers is it that this is a show where that’s a thing that happens?), but that was the funniest moment of the episode for me. Also, Will saying that his handicap was that he hated golf. 

I actually teared up there near the end where Grace was telling her dad how much she missed her mom, and the scene where Will knew exactly what was going on in Grace’s head about the house felt like old times. They really do know each other inside and out. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

I don’t know why Jack playing the piano on top of the dead guy at the crime scene cracked me up as much as it did (and how bonkers is it that this is a show where that’s a thing that happens?), but that was the funniest moment of the episode for me. Also, Will saying that his handicap was that he hated golf. 

That cracked me up, too. Especially when he launched into the funeral music upon noticing the body.

I share Will's thoughts on golf :p. 

I actually teared up there near the end where Grace was telling her dad how much she missed her mom, and the scene where Will knew exactly what was going on in Grace’s head about the house felt like old times. They really do know each other inside and out. 

Agreed on this as well. That was a genuinely sweet and touching moment. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8

Swimming in the very shallow end of the pool........

Is Debra Messing pregnant in real life or have they found the single worst stylist to dress her?

Either her clothes are beyond strange (last week) or depressingly middle aged - this week ....and I should know as a middle aged dame!.

Inquiring (and shallow) minds want to know.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, kaygeeret said:

Is Debra Messing pregnant in real life or have they found the single worst stylist to dress her?

Either her clothes are beyond strange (last week) or depressingly middle aged - this week ....and I should know as a middle aged dame!.

Judging from some recent Instagram photos of a cast shoot in which she looked damn good in a little black dress, smoky eye and gorgeous wavy (rather than super curly) hair, there’s no way she’s pregnant. I mean, she’s not as tiny as she used to be, but she’s still pretty small. My guess is that whoever is currently styling her on W&G has no idea how to dress her. Either that or Debra managed to piss off the whole wardrobe department somehow. ;)

• Love 5

Yeah, why do they keep doing plots with old characters when they can't get the original actors? It's really distracting when half return and half don't. They couldn't have come up with a Bobbi-related plot that didn't require Grace's father and whatever Geena Davis/Mary McCormack's character was?

The ending of the Drew/Jack plot was predictable from the start, especially since we saw the same thing in Fagmalion all those years ago. Don't be the first guy dated by someone coming out of the closet--it's certainly real and makes sense, but we've been here. The show's just so tired.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

I remember reading years ago that Debra Messing to a challenge to dress because she is allergic to natural fibers. The costume department had to find synthetic-fibered clothes for her that still looked high-end. TMI, but this information stuck in my head because I am allergic to synthetic fibers. Believe me, I am counting my blessings now.

8 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Yeah, why do they keep doing plots with old characters when they can't get the original actors? It's really distracting when half return and half don't. They couldn't have come up with a Bobbi-related plot that didn't require Grace's father and whatever Geena Davis/Mary McCormack's character was?

The ending of the Drew/Jack plot was predictable from the start, especially since we saw the same thing in Fagmalion all those years ago. Don't be the first guy dated by someone coming out of the closet--it's certainly real and makes sense, but we've been here. The show's just so tired.

The other sister is the same actress.  

and signing on with the same exact story as Fagmalion.  WTH?

• Love 1

I liked this episode a lot. Love that they got Sara Rue back to play Joyce, and Mary McCormack was a great choice to play Janet - I never really bought Geena Davis as Grace's sister. I'd like to see more of them. 

It would've been great to see Alan Arkin as Grace's dad again, but Robert Klein was a good substitute. 

Debra has really found Grace 100% now, and for the last few episodes. Love it.

I have to agree with everyone else regarding Grace's wardrobe. She's had a few hits, but way more misses. Debra Messing is a lovely woman with a perfectly fine figure, what gives?

Seeing Alec Baldwin again was a surprise (I always avoid spoilers) - that whole bit with the camouflage pajamas was hilarious, and so Malcolm!

Jack at the crime scene was so wrong yet so funny.

• Love 9

I could not remember who played Grace's father originally or if he was ever even on the show. I did remember Geena Davis playing Janet and wondered if they tried to get her back for this one. She's not doing a whole lot these days, the last thing I saw her in was the TV series "The Exorcist." But it was nice getting Sara Rue back as Joyce and that she still had the hots for Will. Nice bit of continuity. 

What was the song the three sisters sang at dinner? Was it something Debbie Reynolds sang in one of her movies?

I'm totally confused about Karen and Stan. Originally, they divorced so he could marry Lorraine, then he faked his death, then when he came back he and Karen eventually got back together but then they divorced again. So I don't know which parts the show is choosing to ignore. The only reason Malcolm was ever on the show was because Stan faked his death and sent Malcolm to try to get Will back to being a lawyer. I don't know where he fits into the current revision of history.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

I have thought wardrobe (and hair + makeup) hated her since the very first episode. She can look good, she just...doesn't. Grace's clothes are downright fugly week in and week out.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I could not remember who played Grace's father originally or if he was ever even on the show. I did remember Geena Davis playing Janet and wondered if they tried to get her back for this one. She's not doing a whole lot these days, the last thing I saw her in was the TV series "The Exorcist." But it was nice getting Sara Rue back as Joyce and that she still had the hots for Will. Nice bit of continuity. 

What was the song the three sisters sang at dinner? Was it something Debbie Reynolds sang in one of her movies?

I'm totally confused about Karen and Stan. Originally, they divorced so he could marry Lorraine, then he faked his death, then when he came back he and Karen eventually got back together but then they divorced again. So I don't know which parts the show is choosing to ignore. The only reason Malcolm was ever on the show was because Stan faked his death and sent Malcolm to try to get Will back to being a lawyer. I don't know where he fits into the current revision of history.

I think pretty much everything but the last divorce is still canon, so her past relationship with Malcolm would've happened.

I didn't mind the recasting of Grace's father or sister.  It wasn't like with Debbie Reynolds where she appeared multiple times, was very associated with the part and it would not have worked if they tried to cast another person. 

I have to agree with everyone else regarding Grace's wardrobe. She's had a few hits, but way more misses. Debra Messing is a lovely woman with a perfectly fine figure, what gives?

At this point, I have to imagine it's coming from Debra or a very influential costume person.  Someone has decided that this is the way Grace would dress, regardless of whether the look is flattering and will not be talked out of it.   

• Love 5

Grace has always been depicted as a fashion victim whose hair is such a disaster the Red Cross won't give it coffee. (Except for when they felt like giving her something gorgeous to wear, like the wedding dress from her sham marriage to Taye Diggs' character.)

That said, these latest outfits aren't entertainingly tacky, they're just odd. I can see how they seem "off" to a lot of people.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Grace has always been depicted as a fashion victim whose hair is such a disaster the Red Cross won't give it coffee. (Except for when they felt like giving her something gorgeous to wear, like the wedding dress from her sham marriage to Taye Diggs' character.)

That said, these latest outfits aren't entertainingly tacky, they're just odd. I can see how they seem "off" to a lot of people.

Yeah, Grace always dressed kind of crazy, but I liked a lot of it back in the day. These days it's not so much crazy as supremely unflattering. There's no excuse for those muu-muus and old lady blouses. She's worn a couple of very pretty dresses, and her coats/jackets are usually nice, but the rest is just so Chico's/Talbots discount rack.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The song was All I Do Is Dream of You. Debbie Reynolds sang it in Singin’ in the Rain, The Greatest Movie of all time.

• Love 17

I too was hoping for a few brief debbie Reynolds flashbacks...at least a dedication at the end of the show...something the woman was a legend and if they wrote a her into a new episode I thought there would be a little acknowledgement.  I was watching Young Sheldon before this and it showed Sheldon watching Singing In The Rain (the good morning scene) and he was asking why r they singing and how did they know the same dance steps. This made me smile, but 1/2 hour later I'm watching the sisters sing ALL I DO I DREAM OF U  and started to cry... I miss you Debbie/bobbie. After W&G went off I put in my DVD of Singing in the Rain. It was a good night.

Since the episode is continued next week, maybe there will be a Bobbie scene..here's hoping.

• Love 6
On 3/29/2018 at 10:40 PM, kaygeeret said:

She's 49, she's not pregnant. Chalk it up to a stylist that should be fired. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

1/2 hour later I'm watching the sisters sing ALL I DO I DREAM OF U  and started to cry

Me too! It totally caught me off guard and the tears started flowing. Mainly because it was obviously a tribute to Debbie and not Bobbie. It didn't help that I was watching Star Wars earlier and feeling sad about Carrie Fisher already. I'm still not over the loss of those two fabulous women.

• Love 6

In regards to the whole "why is Debra Messing dressed like that", it's got to be deliberate. I've seen her on other shows and she looks great. Even on that cop show she starred in "The Mysteries of Laura", her character was supposed to be a slob and even in sweats she looked good. 

To sum up, Debra Messing is an attractive, well-dressed woman..........Grace Adler is not.

• Love 9

Grace's wardrobe has always been awful.  The stuff she's been wearing recently hasn't seemed unflattering to her figure to me, just ugly.  I sort of feel like she was able to get away with wearing fugtrocious clothes when she was way skinny but can't now that she's bigger, or older...for whatever reason.

• Love 1

23 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

The song was All I Do Is Dream of You. Debbie Reynolds sang it in Singin’ in the Rain, The Greatest Movie of all time.

Debbie also did a lovely ballad version of the song (with Bobby Van) in the film The Affairs Of Dobie Gillis, which seemed to be the version Grace and her sisters remembered...

• Love 3

I couldn't really believe that anyone could be allergic to *all* natural fibers (wool sure, lots of people are, but *also* cotton, linen, and rayon (which is made of cellulose), *and* silk?), so I looked it up. She has a long list of food allergies and also lists wool, cashmere, and down (well, cashmere is a form of wool...). She may well be difficult to work with given such a long list, but few sitcom characters were down, and you can do a lot with all the fabrics that aren't wool. So either the clothes she wears on this show are deliberate or someone is incompetent.

• Love 1

In general, I never thought Grace's clothes were as bad as Karen claimed they were in the original series. Now she is dressed so unfortunately in each episode. The clothes are both ugly and unflattering.

• Love 4
On 30/03/2018 at 8:11 PM, chitowngirl said:

Indeed. My favourite film ever and the sisters singing that in tribute to Debbie made my eyes water. 

• Love 4