Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E23: Livin on a Prayer-Sweater Party!

• Start Topic

When Murray learns his high school free throw record has been broken, he begrudgingly attends a banquet as the guest of honor. Reliving his glory years, his school spirit is re-energized until he is mocked by the crowd.

Elsewhere at home, Barry decides to throw a party where he quickly loses the spotlight and it is up to Erica’s friend Lainey to help him get it back.

Yep, @Kromm, it was the season finale. And what a season finale it was! 

I had a feeling Murray was going to miss the basket at the basketball event, but I really wanted him to make it. Garlin has done a wonderful job this season in making me feel something for a character that could be one note and just not fun to watch. Instead, Murray is totally endearing in his grumpiness and, dare I say it, almost cuddly! That feels weird to type, but it's totally true. 

Loved that Adam, Murray, Beverly, Pops, and Erica all had a hand in helping Barry's party become a success. As each character pointed out, Barry's had a tough season. And as I was with Murray, I was cheering Barry on. I wanted to see him succeed. That he was able to throw a crazy party, become the life of said party, and share a kiss with Lainey? It was the perfect cap to the show's wonderful inaugural season. 

• Love 2

Reading "Sweater Party" makes me laugh. Love this show! So glad it was picked up. I loved that they mentioned all the stuff Barry had done in previous episodes (karate, wrestling). And it was nice that they all helped him out.

• Love 2

Barry really is the breakout character on this show, so it was good to see him succeed for once.  It's too bad the commercials for the show gave away the ending, though.  All during the party, I was wondering where Barry's red sweatsuit was for his dancing scene.  It kind of spoiled the whole "parents show up" surprise, knowing that there was more (and bigger) partying to come.

The whole cast is really good, and this is one of the few shows that actually makes me laugh each week.

• Love 2

LOVE the randomness/cliche of The Pizza On The Record Player!

Also, who says Adam Goldberg doesn't listen to the Internet?  I LOVED that line about how "when it comes to my childhood I might not remember exactly when something happened or exactly who was there" (referring both to "Nineteen Eighty-Something", as well as, I think, to the swapping of a brother for a sister).

• Love 2

Great wrap-up to the season. I'm excited to see where we go from here. A.J Michalka definitely made some progress with her character too. Lainey was sort of the typical disposable best friend character early in the season, but she got to do some worthwhile development in this episode. I hope she and Barry continue a weird relationship from here on out.

And I'll admit, I think this was the first episode where I realised Lainey and Lexi Bloom were different people. Oops!

And I'll admit, I think this was the first episode where I realised Lainey and Lexi Bloom were different people. Oops!

Me, too! I really thought they were the same person. 

• Love 1