Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E17: One Day Like This

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The Grey's universe has never operated the way a real hospital would.  It drives me crazy sometimes, and then I say to myself "LVAD wire, LVAD wire" until I remember.

I got over the LVAD wire long ago... my issue is seeing surgeons! pushing gurneys and taking vitals and generally doing all the things nurses and orderlies actually do.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Honestly, Owen's first love has always been to have a kid, so maybe he needs to stay single and adopt a kid. Hopefully, this is the end of Teddy. I like her character alright, but her story's now done. However, I was still fine with Owen and Teddy's story for the way they allowed the story to actually breathe. It was paced perfectly, I think. 

I'm not convinced that Owen and Teddy are done.  This is the first time Teddy has shown him the door.  That might just be what really wakes him up and gives him reason to do some introspection.  I think if he does that, and then goes back to Teddy and pursues her the way she has pursued him in the past, she'll open the door again.

• Love 2

I didn't mind April going off on Bailey because Bailey has been a massive caricature in the last few years.  She plays favourites ridiculously, she gets hysterical and everyone lets her, and giving her the grant for her new colonoscopy to save surgeon's shoulders (as if surgeons did colonoscopies rather than urologists) is the definition of entitlement.

So if April is going through her own trauma and her boss doesn't even notice there's anything wrong, I don't have a problem with April's freak out on her.  Anyway, shouldn't Bailey have told Eli that at the first hint of a rash, he should come in immediately to get it checked out?

10 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

April has been one of the best parts of this season for me actually. And I was never her biggest fan, I didn’t not not like her, but this season she has knocked out of the park.

One of the things I really like about this season is that they're letting some of the characters (not Maggie) to have more mature storylines and behave realistically.  I never liked April before but her crisis is one of the best things on the show.

6 hours ago, marceline said:

Meredith walked around with her hair braided all day then took it down just to meet Alex at the bar?

It's something surgeons do to keep their hair off their face during surgery.  I had a job as a part-time ward clerk when I was a student and I remember teaching one of the surgical residents how to braid her hair like that so that she could do it herself for her surgeries.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Not originally, no.  In his first appearance, he was pretty damned bad-ass, and even when he first came back with seriously bad PTSD, he was decisive.  The wishy-washy-ness arrived when Teddy did.  One of many reasons that I hate Teddy.

I thought Teddy going through her apartment, gathering up Owen's things to throw him out, was hilarious.

Teddy was right about Owen.  But Owen also had a good point about Teddy.

A friend of mine has had feelings for a guy for years but he keeps picking women who are going to fail at being in a relationship with him. Too damaged, personality disorders, just want his money, even one woman who kept telling him that she's a lesbian and he kept asking her out.  The women with whom he could have everything he says that he wants, he won't even try to be with.

That is who Teddy reminds me of.  Owen bringing up Henry was a low blow but it's true that that relationship was never going to last, it had an end date even as it started. With Owen, Teddy always interfered in his relationships with other women to the detriment of the relationship,  I always thought that Teddy wanted Owen and resented it when he found someone else. But it was also safe for her because it wasn't going to go anywhere, Owen was tied to another woman.

But now he's not and he's there wanting to be with her. If Teddy really wants Owen, who cares if it was another woman who pointed out that they would be perfect for each other?  The scales have finally fallen from Owen's eyes and he's realized that she's the woman for him.

But Teddy's reaction was almost like relief that she had a reason for pushing Owen away.  Ever since he got to Germany to be with her, she's been coming up with reasons why it wouldn't work -- she likes her life in Germany and doesn't want to move to the States; he lives too far away, if he moved to Germany as he offered, he'd have to leave his sister (who has a husband and child and lives in a different state anyway) and his mother (who also has a partner), It's like she was looking for reason why this wouldn't work, and then she found the perfect one.

I'm not saying that Teddy was wrong about Owen, she wasn't'. But Owen wasn't wrong about her either.

• Love 18
5 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

In what universe does a doctor get to wise off to their chief of surgery as April did without getting at least a reprimand?

Same universe where Bailey and Meredith used to wise off to Chief Webber and Chief Hunt that way.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Layne said:

Same universe where Bailey and Meredith used to wise off to Chief Webber and Chief Hunt that way.

I don't remember either one of them blaming a death in their chief.. Or being that disrespectful in front of other doctors and patients... But its been a long run so maybe I've forgotten something 

Kevin McKidd is a better director than he is an actor, and I really want to know where Teddy's pajama pants are from.

I appreciate that the hotness that is Scott Speedman is playing a Minnesotan. We should be so lucky.

Sarah Drew is/was amazing.

• Love 8

No, it was Scandal that suffered a series low, moved back to 10 PM and following the modestly-rated Station 19. Grey's saw a dip.  

"

Grey’s Anatomy” drew a 1.8 rating and 7.15 million viewers. The numbers trail the 1.9 rating and 7.61 million viewer mark posted by the previous broadcast.

23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I didn't mind April going off on Bailey because Bailey has been a massive caricature in the last few years.  She plays favourites ridiculously, she gets hysterical and everyone lets her, and giving her the grant for her new colonoscopy to save surgeon's shoulders (as if surgeons did colonoscopies rather than urologists) is the definition of entitlement.

So if April is going through her own trauma and her boss doesn't even notice there's anything wrong, I don't have a problem with April's freak out on her.  Anyway, shouldn't Bailey have told Eli that at the first hint of a rash, he should come in immediately to get it checked out?

One of the things I really like about this season is that they're letting some of the characters (not Maggie) to have more mature storylines and behave realistically.  I never liked April before but her crisis is one of the best things on the show.

It's something surgeons do to keep their hair off their face during surgery.  I had a job as a part-time ward clerk when I was a student and I remember teaching one of the surgical residents how to braid her hair like that so that she could do it herself for her surgeries.

I thought Teddy going through her apartment, gathering up Owen's things to throw him out, was hilarious.

A friend of mine has had feelings for a guy for years but he keeps picking women who are going to fail at being in a relationship with him. Too damaged, personality disorders, just want his money, even one woman who kept telling him that she's a lesbian and he kept asking her out.  The women with whom he could have everything he says that he wants, he won't even try to be with.

That is who Teddy reminds me of.  Owen bringing up Henry was a low blow but it's true that that relationship was never going to last, it had an end date even as it started. With Owen, Teddy always interfered in his relationships with other women to the detriment of the relationship,  I always thought that Teddy wanted Owen and resented it when he found someone else. But it was also safe for her because it wasn't going to go anywhere, Owen was tied to another woman.

But now he's not and he's there wanting to be with her. If Teddy really wants Owen, who cares if it was another woman who pointed out that they would be perfect for each other?  The scales have finally fallen from Owen's eyes and he's realized that she's the woman for him.

But Teddy's reaction was almost like relief that she had a reason for pushing Owen away.  Ever since he got to Germany to be with her, she's been coming up with reasons why it wouldn't work -- she likes her life in Germany and doesn't want to move to the States; he lives too far away, if he moved to Germany as he offered, he'd have to leave his sister (who has a husband and child and lives in a different state anyway) and his mother (who also has a partner), It's like she was looking for reason why this wouldn't work, and then she found the perfect one.

I'm not saying that Teddy was wrong about Owen, she wasn't'. But Owen wasn't wrong about her either.

Good post.  Teddy was determined to dig until she found grounds for being wounded enough to send Owen away.  She could easily have said, "Call me when you're a trauma surgeon in Germany.  We can discuss my roast chicken then."

I loved Meredith being able to vibe a little with a handsome man who's attracted to her and doesn't have the first idea about her many steamer trunks of baggage.  So shut up about your sisters, Mer--it's reasonable to put your children into your Fantasy Sardinia painting, not two of the footlockers you drag around.

I'm on record as anti-April, but the scene with the rabbi was top-notch--very moving.

Edited by candall
  • Love 15

Did anyone notice the look that Meredith had at the end of the show? The door to the bar opened, the bell rings and quickly Mer turns her head. The camera with a close up shot... her look was the same one as when Derek came into the bar in season 1. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BRS said:

Did anyone notice the look that Meredith had at the end of the show? The door to the bar opened, the bell rings and quickly Mer turns her head. The camera with a close up shot... her look was the same one as when Derek came into the bar in season 1. 

It didn’t just look like that shot, it actually WAS that season one shot.

• Love 16
On 3/30/2018 at 12:24 PM, statsgirl said:

So if April is going through her own trauma and her boss doesn't even notice there's anything wrong, I don't have a problem with April's freak out on her.  

Oh what if that's why she didn't clap back though, because April is the contest judge and she doesn't want to get on her bad side?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Layne said:

Oh what if that's why she didn't clap back though, because April is the contest judge and she doesn't want to get on her bad side?

April's not the final arbiter, is she -- or was the panel of doctors from other hospitals only used to issue the nominations? 

13 hours ago, skermac said:

this is the best episode in a long time, it reminded me of the first fe seasons, incredibly sad too

Written by supervising producer Elisabeth R. Finch, writer also for True Blood and The Vampire Diaries, and the young survivor of a rare cancer. Speaking to Eli's point about life and what we are promised. She also wrote the episode where Bailey suffered her heart attack, and used her own experience in being unheard by male medicos as a launching point for depicting the two-pronged condescension that Bailey experienced. 

• Love 5

It was from season 2, episode 5 when she was waiting at the bar after her pick me speech. The shot is from when George walked into Joe's. Derek didn't show up until after she left and then he picked Addison.

• Love 4

I just adore April. Those scenes with the Rabbi, and then at the end with Bailey, were quite powerful.

Also Sarah Drew just keeps knocking it out of the park.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Pallas said:

April's not the final arbiter, is she -- or was the panel of doctors from other hospitals only used to issue the nominations?

Yes, it's supposed to be a panel of prestigious doctors who make the decisions including which projects got funded at this stage.

But then, this is the show that put the glamour shot of Meredith on the cover of a medical journal (eyeroll).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

But then, this is the show that put the glamour shot of Meredith on the cover of a medical journal (eyeroll).

That's right, with the captions listing credits for hair, make-up and scrubs.

• Love 1

Lets hope April turned a corner.           Not sure what the purpose of the Teddy and Owen story line was. Teddy is obviously staying in Germany. So is Owen seriously considering moving there? 

• Love 2

Not sure what the purpose of the Teddy and Owen story line was. Teddy is obviously staying in Germany. So is Owen seriously considering moving there?

It seemed to me like the purpose was to finally shut the door on Teddy and Owen (so no, I don't think he's moving to Germany). She realized that he's incapable of being alone and doesn't want to be with him just because Amelia told him Teddy was his benign brain tumor. Maybe Owen will finally experience some character growth as a result, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2018 at 10:24 AM, izabella said:

I'm not convinced that Owen and Teddy are done.  This is the first time Teddy has shown him the door.  That might just be what really wakes him up and gives him reason to do some introspection.  I think if he does that, and then goes back to Teddy and pursues her the way she has pursued him in the past, she'll open the door again.

Agreed, at least in part because I'm pretty sure Kim Raver is signed until the end of the season. 

And in the end I suspect Amelia will be pregnant & that'll finally be the end of Owen & Teddy. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Bostongirl said:

Not sure what the purpose of the Teddy and Owen story line was. Teddy is obviously staying in Germany. So is Owen seriously considering moving there? 

I don't think Owen ever had any intention of moving to Germany (even before Teddy threw him out). When the subject of the future came up, she pointed out that what was happening wasn't real and that she lives a million miles away and has a life there. His first response to that was "But you hate Germany." She said she loved her job and her friend in Germany and that she was opening a clinic for refugees. She asked if he would be willing to move to Germany and he said yes and then immediately followed that up with "Or you could move back to Seattle." Dude, she JUST told you why she has no plans to leave Germany and you're already trying to convince her to leave! Next he suggested that they move to Canada.

• Love 12
On 4/1/2018 at 9:09 AM, maasa said:

It was from season 2, episode 5 when she was waiting at the bar after her pick me speech. The shot is from when George walked into Joe's. Derek didn't show up until after she left and then he picked Addison.

I was wondering why that particular scene.  I would figure everything is intentional . . . and that particular scene didn't have a happy ending for Meredith, although she was filled with hope and anticipation. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Shellie said:

I was wondering why that particular scene.  I would figure everything is intentional . . . and that particular scene didn't have a happy ending for Meredith, although she was filled with hope and anticipation. 

I found it a bit of an odd pick myself. I guess it's not that easy to find a scene where Meredith is at Joe's and turns around so they could create that exact effect. Or maybe they found this and were just too l lazy to look further and decided to just take it.

• Love 1

I can't stand April. I couldn't stand holier-than-thou April, soldier April or currently tortured April. April in any form to me is horrible. Though at least after she shipped off she became slightly less grating. 

Don't like Owen with Amelia either and was sort of hoping that storyline would end forever but alas, probably not. I feel like the main storylines are currently about all the most annoying characters on the show. More Alex and Meredith, more Jackson! I think Maggie has a lot of potential but they never use her right. 

• Love 2
On 3/30/2018 at 3:24 PM, statsgirl said:

Anyway, shouldn't Bailey have told Eli that at the first hint of a rash, he should come in immediately to get it checked out?

I don’t think I’ve ever had a doctor tell me that for antibiotics, etc, but *every single prescription insert* has “rash” listed as contacting your doctor immediately, etc.

• Love 2

Eli and April and the discussion about suffering. Best. Scene. Ever.

Only thing I would change is that we are not the ones who make things better. We are to point to the One who can. ☺️

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, statsgirl said:

I didn't mind April yelling at Bailey because Bailey has made it her life's mission to scream at anyone and everyone.  I remember her trying to blame the infection that killed a patient on all the interns, and then it turned out to be her.  If you can dish it out you should be able to take it - and Bailey seemed to take it.

ETA:  Colonoscopies are performed by GI doctors.  You may be thinking of cystos.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, cycworker said:

Agreed, at least in part because I'm pretty sure Kim Raver is signed until the end of the season. 

And in the end I suspect Amelia will be pregnant & that'll finally be the end of Owen & Teddy. 

I thought I saw Kim Raver in a promo for Designated Survivor.