Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: A Mercy

• Start Topic

With the end of their provisions in sight, officers contemplate a tough, risky strategy while struggling to raise the men's worsening spirits.

Just when I thought the show was about to slow down...

• Love 3

Damn, that man lost his damn mind. I couldn't figure out what he was doing at first. He was trying to burn everyone alive. No wonder he was so cold when the sailor confided his emotional turmoil or was that the other guy he was confiding in? I might have mixed them up. I felt for the guy who was trying to save his friend with the brain injury. At last, Hickey makes himself useful. No doubt he will continue to be trouble.

Did the magic bear attack the Inuit woman? She looked as if she had been ripped apart. I was surprised that they threw that party and weren't afraid of the magic bear coming back.

Nice to see Francis recovering. So James finally accepts that Francis was right all along and that they will have to walk out. Why was James bleeding? Lead poisoning?

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Damn, that man lost his damn mind. I couldn't figure out what he was doing at first. He was trying to burn everyone alive. No wonder he was so cold when the sailor confided his emotional turmoil or was that the other guy he was confiding in? I might have mixed them up. I felt for the guy who was trying to save his friend with the brain injury. I felt for the guy who was trying to save his friend with the brain injury. At last, Hickey makes himself useful. No doubt he will continue to be trouble.

Did the magic bear attack the Inuit woman? She looked as if she had been ripped apart. I was surprised that they threw that party and weren't afraid of the magic bear coming back.

Nice to see Francis recovering. So James finally accepts that Francis was right all along and that they will have to walk out. Why was James bleeding? Lead poisoning?

I'm pretty sure Hickey was "playing" with the brain injured sailor. But credit where due, he did try to rescue people by cutting the canvas. Too bad he killed Dr. McDonald doing it.

• Love 9

They’re suffering from lead poisoning and scurvy. Lead poisoning discolors their gums (poor monkey) and scurvy leads to bruising and bleeding from all orifices, even hair follicles. I blame lead poisoning for Dr. Stanley’s despair and disordered thinking. I bet he knows all about “flurried thoughts”!

• Love 14

I think that "guy in jester makeup calmly setting himself on fire, and walking towards everyone with his arms out, while ablaze" is now the winner of the Creepiest Scene of the Show award! I am positive that it will offer us many more creepy scenes, but that was was way more unsettling to me than all of gore. Even the whipping scene.

Of course the guys try to throw a party, and it all goes to crap. Really, I thought it was going to be something they did, like accidentally setting something on fire (and not a crazy guy doing it on purpose) or getting into a fight. But, it probably would have been alright except for the aforementioned crazy guy, and the Lady Silence showing up, bleeding. Also, I am pretty sure that lady Silence cut her own tongue out, presumably as a part of some kind of shaman binding ritual. She looked like she was reaching into her mouth with her knife, and then looked like she was bleeding from the mouth. I think it was Goodsir who ran up and caught her, which was sweet. I especially loved how he kept saying that his mother was happy when she was on drugs, even when she was a different person. It was so sad, but he clearly understood. 

I also found the scene with Crozier and Jopson to be very nice, and surprisingly tender considering how harsh the show is. Hopefully Crozier is through the worst of it, because the men are REALLY going to need some leadership soon. 

I wonder how much of Stanley's break down was due to the messed up situation, and how much was the lead poisoning that everyone has now? Or both?

• Love 10

On the rewatch, I no longer think that the magic bear attacked the woman. Now I think that the Inuit woman was trying to control the magic bear by cutting out her own tongue. I wonder if she failed to pass the ritual which is why she came for help or she was just scared. 

11 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I also found the scene with Crozier and Jopson to be very nice, and surprisingly tender considering how harsh the show is. Hopefully Crozier is through the worst of it, because the men are REALLY going to need some leadership soon. 

That was a touching scene. I also liked how Crozier hugged Blanky. He was genuinely happy to see his friend.

31 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I'm pretty sure Hickey was "playing" with the brain injured sailor. But credit where due, he did try to rescue people by cutting the canvas. Too bad he killed Dr. McDonald doing it.

So that is what he was doing. Hickey is a such an ass.

Does anyone know; were those other two sailors' brothers or friends or lovers? They were on different ships, but hugged each other. And one of them touched the other's hand when he gave him the book.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Does anyone know; were those other two sailors' brothers or friends or lovers? They were on different ships, but hugged each other. And one of them touched the other's hand when he gave him the book.

I don't know for sure ( didn't read the book ). But I got more of a surrogate father/son or mentor/mentee vibe. It was protective and touching.

• Love 8

While it still sucks that Blanky lost his leg, at least he found another good use for the prosthetic leg: it makes a good drinking cup!  Also, he's awesomely "Why, yes, he was an asshole, his memoir was full of shit and I even fantasied about killing his ass!" about John Ross, when James asks him about what really happened.  You've got to appreciate his honesty, right?!

Tobias Menzies in a Roman uniform delighted me more then it probably should.  It was nice of James to try and throw a party before they had to drop some big ass bad news on them, but as with most things on this show, nothing ever ends up working out.

Way to take "Burning Down the House" literally, Stanley!  So, I'm guessing he was driven insane by the lead poisoning or did he simply become suicidal after Goodsir told him about it, and he decided to take everyone out with him?

Hickey might be a creep, but I kind of feel bad that even when he tries to do the right thing, he still ends up accidentally killing Dr. McDonald while doing so.

Jopson seems like a nice guy (and he's played by Liam Garrigan who played Arthur on Once Upon A Time!)  He joins Goodsir and Blanky on the list of "characters I'm really going to get upset about when they get brutally murdered in the worst way possible.  Because that is so going to happen."

At least Francis seems much better now, and it looks they are prepared to make a go at just walking back.  Of course, I have a feeling that no one is going to be making it out alive when this is all said and done.

• Love 15

My least favorite episode so far. When Crozier goes into their makeshift carnival tent and asks "How did they manage to do all this?" I was all "THANK YOU!!!".  I had EXACTLY the same question. But on rewatch I realized they had a week, so it was do'able. It just seems like it took far more stuff than they would have had on the ships.

The Giant Rabid Polar Sloth looked more like the mask of a human clown while it was watching LS cut out her own tongue. It didn't have that elongated sloth face from the last episode. Was it supposed to resemble the guy who's mind was all fluttered? Or Crozier? Or supposed to look like it was wearing a mask? The thing seems different every time we see it. Given how much attention to detail this show has, I find it hard to accept that the animation of the creature is as weird as it is unless there's a reason. In this episode, the animation of the creature's face seemed pretty bad, and I had to wonder if it was supposed to mimic a human face in some way.

I wonder why the shaman has to be tongueless... so s/he is subsequently unable to communicate with humans on human terms, thus tying it more to the creature than to humans? I also wonder what happens if the creature goes without a shaman for "too long". Is that why it goes on murderous rampages?

Who is the person that Hickey and the other guy were discussing, saying that he had also been part of the kidnapping, but had not been punished with the other 3? They named him, but I wasn't familiar with the name.

I thought the guy who had gone to Dr Stanley to complain of his mind being flurried was the one who set the fire and burnt himself alive. Reading a recap on Vulture, they say it was Dr Stanley himself who did all that, and the guy who went to see him (Collins.. who was the guy in the diving bell apparently) watched without rushing to Stanley's aid with everyone else. I totally missed that. Didn't recognize Stanley in all those flames and certainly didn't get a good look at the person tying up the flaps.

Despite the attention to small plot details, this show is doing an abysmal job of showing us the tertiary characters in a way that allows us to recognize them and keep track of them.

edited to add:

'WARNING! If you have questions about characters, trying to match up names and faces, DON"T go look on IMDB. They currently show the total number of episodes that each character is in all season, and it might spoil you for how long some of them might last. (although I'm not convinced it is accurate because they list Ciaran Hinds as being in all the episodes, and he has clearly only been in some of them in the "previouslies")

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SoSueMe said:

I don't know for sure ( didn't read the book ). But I got more of a surrogate father/son or mentor/mentee vibe. It was protective and touching.

Yeah, I took it that way, too.

I recall from my history reading and from the Patrick O’Brian books that scurvy causes old, healed wounds to reopen.

Poor little Jacko.?

What is the deal with the guy with the exposed brain? Why isn’t he dead yet?

Yes, Lady Silence cut her own tongue out.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hickey might be a creep, but I kind of feel bad that even when he tries to do the right thing, he still ends up accidentally killing Dr. McDonald while doing so.

This scene was one (of many) which really got to me. Yes, Hickey was trying to help them get out, and he did yell for the men to step back, but he decided, purposefully, to gut a man to cut his hole instead of trying to find another place to cut the canvas where men weren't obviously pressed up against it. He showed no remorse, either. The man he sacrificed was their doctor, one of the most valuable members of their party, but it could have just as easily been one of his friends. I'm not sure it made much difference who it was. At this point, I think helping his mates has more to do with his own machinations than it does really caring about his fellow sailors; he's playing the long game. If he can get the men--who greatly outnumber the officers--on his side, he puts himself in a position to seize power. He knows the score and by killing Dr. McDonald so easily/dispassionately, Hickey demonstrated he's willing to do anything, even murder, if he thinks it will help him stay alive. So don't feel too bad for him. He's still a creep. ;)

• Love 6

After seeing the close up of the brain damaged sailor, I have an idea as to the purpose of the sealing wax.  I think it was to slightly glue the eyelids closed, with the provision that, if the sailor awoke from his coma (highly unlikely, but...), he would open his eyes and break the sealed wax.  Thus, anyone who looked at him would realize that fact.  Just a thought.

Unpopular opinion:  When the polar monster showed up in the background behind Lady Silence, the first thing I thought of was Coca-Cola.  I'm going to hell.

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

After seeing the close up of the brain damaged sailor, I have an idea as to the purpose of the sealing wax. 

The guy's were open and unblinking since he was attacked. It was creepy, so they tried closing his eyes. Every time they did, his eyes would open again. The sealing wax was to keep his eyes shut.

This episode was the most difficult to get through thus far. I do have to say I loved Blanky and Fitzjames' conversation, foreboding and, well, terrifying. Ian Hart knocked it out of the park. The exchange between Crozier and Jopson was beautiful and a much needed moment of kindness and affection. Same for Bridgens and Peglar's book recommendation scene (I read these two as lovers, personally, and get the impression they've been together for years).

But wanting things to go right for them, just once, is clearly too much to ask. Fitzjames was being a good leader, trying to do the right thing by his men (and earn some goodwill along the way). Then Dr. Stanley burned it all to the ground. D'oh! Thus our next blow: many useful, or even necessary items/supplies were destroyed in the fire.

Now the food crisis is about to come to a head. And they only have one doctor who's not technically a doctor left to care for them all.

I like Tom Hartnell, and Sgt. Tozer. I hope they side with Captain Crozier when Hickey stages his mutiny or whatever other devil things he has planned. Crozier needs allies among the men. I think the ones who see the Captain knows what he's doing (more than any of them) are most likely to remain loyal. It's the ones foolish enough to think they could do better who'll be the problem. Of course, throw in lead poisoning, scurvy, malnutrition, starvation, etc., and all rules go out the window.

I've grown to like Fitzjames more and more. He's a good counterbalance for Crozier with the men, and I respect him for being honest and honorable enough to admit he was wrong, and wise enough to seek the counsel of those in the know and take their advice (unlike his predecessor). I really care about him now and am sorry to see him showing symptoms of scurvy (?). That doesn't bode well. :(

I loved Crozier's rally to the men, as inspiring as anything Sir John penned. He was stepping up, taking command, being the leader his men need. Then it all quite literally went up in flames. Thanks again, Dr. Stanley. :p

In any case, between the immolation, Hickey poking around in that poor Marine's brain and later gutting Dr. MacDonald (RIP, good Doctor), not to mention Jacko bashing her own head in, there was so much darkness in this episode it was hard to watch. I usually watch it twice in a row because there's so much to take in, and I did see it a second time, but I had to think about it first. Tonight was the first time I hesitated. I dread more than ever what's to come. Moments of kindness and beauty remain, but every time a glimmer of hope flashes something else goes very wrong. It's all very tragic, and this is only the beginning.

Edited to add: Did anyone notice Hickey not only disobeyed Lt. De Voeux and kept on pissing, he stared him down too? Lucky for him the Lt. was plastered, but his pointed insubordination was a very uncomfortable moment, a portent of what's to come.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 10

I don't believe that Hickey knew he was gutting someone when he cut the canvas. He called out a warning and in the heat (literally) of the moment he did the only thing he could do. That said, I'm not a fan of his, he is a bad piece of work. 

• Love 8

Oh, so that was why Dr Stanley was such an asshole... 

Hickey is a piece of work - and probably not as a result of lead poisoning : playing with the man's exposed brain, urinating inside the tent, taking a dead man's ring - just normal  behavior for Hickey. 

Too bad it took so long before Fitzjames got a reality check about Captain John Ross' Franklin's incompetence. Fitzjames was such a sycophant in the beginning.  Wonder why Mr. Blanky  would ever sign up for another mission with Sir John in charge? 
Update : Oops, I may have meant Sir John Franklin - - whoever the guy Mr. Blanky was talking about - who was killed by the bear-demon. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 3

I remember saying, during the very first episode, "I like that guy. I don't know what his deal is, yet. But I like him," aloud, to my husband.  He shook his head and replied, "Eh, I'm not too sure about him, yet."

My opinion of Hickey hasn't changed, despite the fact that I normally dismiss selfish characters, in favor of the "humanitarians".  I believe that in the context of the story (and probably bolstered quite a bit by the actor's superb portrayal), Hickey is righteous in his ruthlessness to survive.  He stays sober, alert, observant, and yes -- manipulative.  The last of those qualities is one that I truly hate in any individual, but something about his discipline is rather breathtaking.  I can't say if he will make it out of that place, and we are certainly led to believe that no one will from the outset of the story, but I have this nagging feeling that maybe...just maybe...Hickey gets out, transforms, and carries on.  Pure speculation, but it's the vibe I'm getting from the strength and self-assurance of his character.

Side note:  Hickey also seems to be the least scared, out of all of the men, of the spirit beast, which I find fascinating.  In some ways, he appears more threatened by the Inuit woman's presence, than he does of being ripped apart by a bear-monster...(just some food for thought; please correct me, if there's evidence to suggest otherwise)...

• Love 6

I have been thinking about this episode a lot. It was difficult to watch, but there was a lot of character development and several of the men have grown on me. I have always liked Blanky and Francis, but now I love them. Blanky is such a good pragmatic courageous man. No wonder Francis cares about him so much and considers him a friend even though he is technically below his social class. Francis bonding with Jopson and then finding the strength to go walk outside reaffirmed my faith in him. I was glad that he didn't berate James when he saw that the party had gotten out of control. I loved Francis' speech. It was touching and inspiring without being "rah, rah." I think it will hold many of the men to him when Hickey predictably attempts a mutiny. James turned me around completely. He went from being pompous and annoying to thoughtful, caring, and realistic. Maybe John brought out the worse in him and it took a while for his influence to wear off. Jopson and Goodsir are the other great characters. I also like the guy (can't remember his name) who told Hickey that he accepted his punishment because it gave him a chance to start a fresh. Too bad, we lost Dr. MacDonald.

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Tobias Menzies in a Roman uniform delighted me more then it probably should.  

I chuckled at Tobias Menzies in the Roman costume. It has got to have been a nod to Rome.

5 hours ago, Sighed I said:

Same for Bridgens and Peglar's book recommendation scene (I read these two as lovers, personally, and get the impression they've been together for years).

I was leaning towards the two men being lovers when the young man stroked his finger along the older man's hand when he took the book.

• Love 8

After six episodes, it's still taking me some time to get some of the characters' names straight, and many of them look alike.  Still don't understand much of what's being said.   That said, I'm still enjoying the series. 

When they were having the party, weren't the men eating the tainted canned food?  Crozier looked at them eating the food like he was horrified but didn't want to say anything because it was too late.  

• Love 4

The animation on the creature's face was interesting.  It looked like it was angry and about to attack but then mollified as Lady Silent took the knife to her tongue.  Earlier it seemed that she was singing or praying to it, so what does she do now?  - I suppose it's not impossible to use just your throat to make ritual songs or sounds.  Perhaps the creature only responds to the sounds from a mutilated mouth - there's probably a vocal "signature" that it can tell means no tongue - ugh, grossing myself out.

That horrifying carnival!  Even from the first moment when Fitzjames looked in the chest ("Leave it to Sir John") at all the masks and paraphernalia, so deliciously creepy and incongruous.

• Love 4

I would also argue that the doctor lights everything (and himself) on fire, because he finally realizes that there is no hope at all.  The expedition's crew have been actively poisoning themselves for weeks.  Here is a man of science, who finally obtains the necessary evidence that Mr. Goodsir was gathering properly, through scientific method, to expose the truth.  Where hope was taking shade under the umbrella of uncertainty, it is now cast out by the grim reality of their peril.

Also interesting to note is that self-immolation is often construed as an act of political and/or benevolent suicide -- it is self-sacrifice, for the greater good.  So, if nothing else, there are at least less mouths to feed without the people who died in the blaze.  And the image of the doctor, wrapped in carnival costume and flame, lifts the episode to another level of both grim and metaphysical.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Apocalypso said:

That horrifying carnival!  Even from the first moment when Fitzjames looked in the chest ("Leave it to Sir John") at all the masks and paraphernalia, so deliciously creepy and incongruous.

Given the premium value of storage space on a ship, it's interesting that they BROUGHT all that stuff in the first place - I guess they were anticipating that they might have a carnival somewhere along the way....?

• Love 3

Despite the attention to small plot details, this show is doing an abysmal job of showing us the tertiary characters in a way that allows us to recognize them and keep track of them.

After six episodes, it's still taking me some time to get some of the characters' names straight, and many of them look alike.  Still don't understand much of what's being said.

Agreed. Look - I'm really trying here. We're six episodes in and I still do not feel like I have a good grasp on who is who aside from just a small handful of characters, and several of those are only because I know the actors from other projects. I'm paying attention and I'm watching with CC to help me out and yet almost every scene, I'm like "Who is that?" 

Part of the problem is casting - there are too many actors who look alike. They're all white men of a certain age, more or less. They're all dressed alike and they're all cramped into very claustrophobic quarters. There's lots of jibber-jabbering for the first 3/4 of each episode until something active happens in the final act. It's very tedious, it's dark, and hard to follow no matter how hard I try. About the only thing I haven't resorted to at this point is having the IMDB.com page open so I can cross-reference characters names and actors while live watching, which would be more a distraction than a help, I think.

It takes a lot away from the impact of a man lighting himself on fire when I have no idea who it is or why he's doing it. Just saying.

Yes, Hickey was trying to help them get out, and he did yell for the men to step back, but he decided, purposefully, to gut a man to cut his hole instead of trying to find another place to cut the canvas where men weren't obviously pressed up against it. 

To be fair, men were burning alive by that point, so time was of the essence.

• Love 8

Given the premium value of storage space on a ship, it's interesting that they BROUGHT all that stuff in the first place - I guess they were anticipating that they might have a carnival somewhere along the way....?

I believe it's common for ships' companies to have similar celebrations for crossing the equator.  Obviously they weren't going anywhere near the equator (and were even way above the Arctic Circle), but they WERE planning to be gone for years, and I could see Sir John just routinely loading the chest of costumes on his ship as a morale kit in case needed.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Osmigo said:

It took me a 2nd viewing, but I finally caught on that it was Franklin who brought the chest of costumes and masks. I think it was expected that having to over-winter would be likely at some point in these expeditions, and so they were typically prepared for amateur theatricals as a diversion.

What was less believable to me was that Fitz only just now discovered that they had that stuff. If you were stuck on those ships for a couple of years unable to spend hardly any time outside, wouldn't you pretty much have explored every inch of them by now just for something to do? Especially if you were an EXPLORER by nature?

I can only rationalize this in the context of someone like Fitz not being willing to rummage through his (deceased) captain's stuff, and other men knowing that doing so might get them punished (or lacking access). Or perhaps he has known all along that they had stuff for theatricals, and was trying to keep everyone sober and somber because of danger (or because he's just a humorless guy with a stick up his butt). Possibly his inexperience at this level of command had him wary of things getting too rowdy, even though these expeditions planned diversions like that (just not on the scale of what they did).

Given that it DID get out of hand (even before the fire) and Fitz acknowledged that he'd lost control of it, his concern's were justified.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

He could have started as high up as he could reach, and cut downward.  I think that's what I would do, because of the better leverage.  Plus, it would alert the men inside that a hole was opening up and that the knife was approaching someone.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

He could have started as high up as he could reach, and cut downward.  I think that's what I would do, because of the better leverage.  Plus, it would alert the men inside that a hole was opening up and that the knife was approaching someone.

I agree, I thought that scene was pushing the envelope of credibility somewhat.  He certainly could have cut it up higher, then manually ripped it open downward.  Or even if he had to do it the way he did, he didn't have to ram the entire length of his knife blade through it; it was just a piece of fabric, for crying out loud.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

People who are panicked and pressing against an exit don't back up. That's how everyone gets crushed to death in nightclub fires. The people against the exit realize that they need to move back for the exit to open up, but they can't because of people behind them pushing forward who don't know what's going on right at the exit. It's one of the reasons why building codes (in the US at least) require exits to have exterior doors that open OUTWARD, although I still run across a shocking number that work the opposite, probably grandfathered in. In fact, homes mostly have exterior doors that open inward, but you aren't likely to get the rush of people that you get in a public building, and it makes taking the door off the hinges impossible for potential intruders.

What I found more strange was that no-one tried cutting the ropes that lashed the canvas to the poles, and that so many exits that weren't burning were blocked by debris and crap. Did Stanley really run around piling up crates in front of potential exits? 

What I found mindbogglingly unbelievable was that NO ONE heard, smelled or felt the fact that a raging fire was going ALL AROUND THEM until too late to get out. Fire makes noise, especially as it consumes a bunch of splintery wood. It makes a lot of smoke in an enclosed area and the access to the central area they were in wasn't particularly sealed from the areas of fire. And if nothing else, it's pretty damn hot compared to the Arctic circle. Was EVERYONE so completely drunk that they didn't notice that they were in the center of an oven? Sure.. these things happen quickly, especially with an accelerant, but still...

I'm ok with suspension of disbelief about Giant Polar Sloths, but I want the things that are real life to be believable. Not my favorite episode so far.

4 minutes ago, Osmigo said:

I agree, I thought that scene was pushing the envelope of credibility somewhat.  He certainly could have cut it up higher, then manually ripped it open downward.  Or even if he had to do it the way he did, he didn't have to ram the entire length of his knife blade through it; it was just a piece of fabric, for crying out loud.

I'm pretty sure it was sailcloth... that stuff is thick and strong

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I don't believe that Hickey knew he was gutting someone when he cut the canvas. He called out a warning and in the heat (literally) of the moment he did the only thing he could do. That said, I'm not a fan of his, he is a bad piece of work. 

I believe he did what he did for pragmatic reasons and not out of viciousness, but the way I saw it, he knew that was a person pressed up against the canvas. The look on this face while he was doing it, and the lack of expression when Dr. MacDonald fell out dead suggests to me he made a decision and was not only not that troubled about what he had done, but he got a little rush from it too. If Collins, who seems like a perfectly upstanding guy, is plagued by dark thoughts (presumably from the lead in their food), I can only imagine what's going through Hickey's head, especially now that he has a chip on his shoulder. He terrifies me. Adam Nagaitis is doing an incredible job.

3 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Too bad it took so long before Fitzjames got a reality check about Captain John Ross' incompetence. Fitzjames was such a sycophant in the beginning.  Wonder why Mr. Blanky  would ever sign up for another mission with Sir John in charge? 

Sir John Ross was the man who questioned Sir John Franklin about his rescue plans and general lack of preparedness in episode 3. If having two Sir Johns (and several regular Johns ;) wasn't enough, there's also a Sir James Ross!

18 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. Look - I'm really trying here. We're six episodes in and I still do not feel like I have a good grasp on who is who aside from just a small handful of characters, and several of those are only because I know the actors from other projects. I'm paying attention and I'm watching with CC to help me out and yet almost every scene, I'm like "Who is that?" 

Part of the problem is casting - there are too many actors who look alike. They're all white men of a certain age, more or less. They're all dressed alike and they're all cramped into very claustrophobic quarters. There's lots of jibber-jabbering for the first 3/4 of each episode until something active happens in the final act. It's very tedious, it's dark, and hard to follow no matter how hard I try. About the only thing I haven't resorted to at this point is having the IMDB.com page open so I can cross-reference characters names and actors while live watching, which would be more a distraction than a help, I think.

It takes a lot away from the impact of a man lighting himself on fire when I have no idea who it is or why he's doing it. Just saying.

This show almost requires repeat viewing to keep all of the characters straight. I've watched each episode several times (I'm obsessed ;) and there's tons of character development and arcs, even for minor characters. At some point, though, I did have to go to IMDB to sort everyone out. Now that I know who all the characters are, it's added so many layers and deepened my appreciation for the show. Most viewers aren't like me, though, and yours is a fair criticism. Ideally, you should be able to pick up what happened on the first view, leaving subsequent viewings with all its extra detail for the geeks like me. ;)

• Love 4
19 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Damn, that man lost his damn mind. I couldn't figure out what he was doing at first. He was trying to burn everyone alive. No wonder he was so cold when the sailor confided his emotional turmoil or was that the other guy he was confiding in? I might have mixed them up. I felt for the guy who was trying to save his friend with the brain injury. At last, Hickey makes himself useful. No doubt he will continue to be trouble.

I had to read the recaps in the reviews to figure out who the heck it was setting the tents on fire.  I have a great deal of trouble keeping the characters straight and it doesn't help they are usually muffled up to the eyes and, in this case, they were in costume.  I never would have guessed the cold, analytical doctor was going mad.  I guess it's meant to be the lead poisoning just like (I suppose) Fitzjames' bleeding hairline.  I thought Hickey was a hero in this episode:  yes he killed a guy accidentally but it was he who slit the tent and let them all out.  I don't see him as a villain at all.

Looks like the woman cut out her own tongue.  Did she feed it to the bear?  Bad idea showing the thing though, lol.  It looked very cartoonish and not at all scary.

Still not sympathetic to Crozier who looked like he just spoiled the party because he couldn't drink with the rest of them.  Sourpuss!  James is becoming much more likeable in the meantime.

Anyone else catch the Rome reference with TM dressed like a roman soldier?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, slothgirl said:

I thought the guy who had gone to Dr Stanley to complain of his mind being flurried was the one who set the fire and burnt himself alive. Reading a recap on Vulture, they say it was Dr Stanley himself who did all that, and the guy who went to see him (Collins.. who was the guy in the diving bell apparently) watched without rushing to Stanley's aid with everyone else. I totally missed that. Didn't recognize Stanley in all those flames and certainly didn't get a good look at the person tying up the flaps.

Despite the attention to small plot details, this show is doing an abysmal job of showing us the tertiary characters in a way that allows us to recognize them and keep track of them

God I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem.  I have no idea whom half the characters are let alone naming who is who.  That is the main weakness in this show IMO.  You are absolutely right about them doing an abysmal job with this.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, zobot81 said:

I remember saying, during the very first episode, "I like that guy. I don't know what his deal is, yet. But I like him," aloud, to my husband.  He shook his head and replied, "Eh, I'm not too sure about him, yet."

My opinion of Hickey hasn't changed, despite the fact that I normally dismiss selfish characters, in favor of the "humanitarians".  I believe that in the context of the story (and probably bolstered quite a bit by the actor's superb portrayal), Hickey is righteous in his ruthlessness to survive.  He stays sober, alert, observant, and yes -- manipulative.  The last of those qualities is one that I truly hate in any individual, but something about his discipline is rather breathtaking.  I can't say if he will make it out of that place, and we are certainly led to believe that no one will from the outset of the story, but I have this nagging feeling that maybe...just maybe...Hickey gets out, transforms, and carries on.  Pure speculation, but it's the vibe I'm getting from the strength and self-assurance of his character.

Side note:  Hickey also seems to be the least scared, out of all of the men, of the spirit beast, which I find fascinating.  In some ways, he appears more threatened by the Inuit woman's presence, than he does of being ripped apart by a bear-monster...(just some food for thought; please correct me, if there's evidence to suggest otherwise)...

Well finally someone who agrees with me.  I've always liked this guy.  He seems to be the only one who realizes in just how much danger they are and that the officers are pretty clueless.   I can't blame him for wanting to know what is going on.  I don't understand why other commenters feel his attempted eavesdropping is somehow bad on his part.  The man seems to be two steps ahead of everyone else and is trying to put himself in a position where he has the best shot at survival.  I also think I sympathize with him because the actor who plays him is doing a superb job. I don't believe he killed the guy on the other side of the tent cold bloodedly; I think he was desperate and knew they didn't have much time left.  People in situations like that usually panic.  I think his lack of expression at seeing he'd killed someone (I didn't realize it was one of the doctors) was total shock.

Yes James is becoming a much nicer guy which is good because TB was one of the reasons I started watching this.  I thought for sure he was a goner in the first few episodes because....well, pompous jackasses are usually the first to go, aren't they?

I think I read somewhere that this will now have a season 2.  Did I get that right?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, slothgirl said:

People who are panicked and pressing against an exit don't back up. That's how everyone gets crushed to death in nightclub fires. The people against the exit realize that they need to move back for the exit to open up, but they can't because of people behind them pushing forward who don't know what's going on right at the exit. It's one of the reasons why building codes (in the US at least) require exits to have exterior doors that open OUTWARD, although I still run across a shocking number that work the opposite, probably grandfathered in. In fact, homes mostly have exterior doors that open inward, but you aren't likely to get the rush of people that you get in a public building, and it makes taking the door off the hinges impossible for potential intruders.

What I found more strange was that no-one tried cutting the ropes that lashed the canvas to the poles, and that so many exits that weren't burning were blocked by debris and crap. Did Stanley really run around piling up crates in front of potential exits? 

What I found mindbogglingly unbelievable was that NO ONE heard, smelled or felt the fact that a raging fire was going ALL AROUND THEM until too late to get out. Fire makes noise, especially as it consumes a bunch of splintery wood. It makes a lot of smoke in an enclosed area and the access to the central area they were in wasn't particularly sealed from the areas of fire. And if nothing else, it's pretty damn hot compared to the Arctic circle. Was EVERYONE so completely drunk that they didn't notice that they were in the center of an oven? Sure.. these things happen quickly, especially with an accelerant, but still...

I'm ok with suspension of disbelief about Giant Polar Sloths, but I want the things that are real life to be believable. Not my favorite episode so far.

I'm pretty sure it was sailcloth... that stuff is thick and strong

As I watched this episode, twice, all I could think about- during the fire escape scenes- was a documentary I once saw on the Hillsborough football game disaster in England. Probably one of the most horrifying things I have ever watched. 

But I too wondered why he couldn't maybe pull the canvas away and cut carefully or why the canvas didn't burn open in spots to allow for escape. 

So, did the open brain guy finally die? Dang this show is dramatic and shocking. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Lamima said:

So, did the open brain guy finally die? Dang this show is dramatic and shocking. 

Figures he would... he's one of the only tertiary characters I recognize on sight now. ;)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MaryMatts said:

He seems to be the only one who realizes in just how much danger they are and that the officers are pretty clueless.   I can't blame him for wanting to know what is going on. 

I don't think the officers are clueless.  Everyone knows they are stuck in the ice and that a weird animal is/was picking them off.   The officers were assessing how much food is left, if food is poisoned and making a plan to attempt to improve the situation.   They were talking about walking away from the ships so they are trying to plan.  Crozier is actually telling the crew what the situation is when everything goes to hell.

The men need to stick together and support each other to survive.  IMO Hickey is trying to pot stir, to split them up.  Maybe he thinks it's his best chance of survival, maybe he thinks he's smarter than everyone else, maybe it's just his nature but I don't see it being helpful in keeping everyone alive.   I do think  he was shocked that he'd killed the doctor when he was slicing the canvas; he was yelling "get back, I'm cutting through" so it's not like he wanted to stab someone.  I don't think he's evil or anything, I just think he's kind of a shit stirrer, though poking in that guy's brain was creepy (my closed captioning said "squelching", ew).

I think it's realistic of the show to not portray anyone as truly villianous; people are good and bad, weak and strong and it's reflected in the show.

I do think the actor playing Hickey is doing a good job; really, they all are.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, MaryMatts said:

I think I read somewhere that this will now have a season 2.  Did I get that right?

I haven't seen anything about the show being definitely renewed, but I did read that, if there is a Season 2, it will focus on a new story and characters.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MaryMatts said:

Well finally someone who agrees with me.  I've always liked this guy.  He seems to be the only one who realizes in just how much danger they are and that the officers are pretty clueless.   I can't blame him for wanting to know what is going on.  I don't understand why other commenters feel his attempted eavesdropping is somehow bad on his part.  The man seems to be two steps ahead of everyone else and is trying to put himself in a position where he has the best shot at survival.  I also think I sympathize with him because the actor who plays him is doing a superb job. I don't believe he killed the guy on the other side of the tent cold bloodedly; I think he was desperate and knew they didn't have much time left.  People in situations like that usually panic.  I think his lack of expression at seeing he'd killed someone (I didn't realize it was one of the doctors) was total shock.

Yes James is becoming a much nicer guy which is good because TB was one of the reasons I started watching this.  I thought for sure he was a goner in the first few episodes because....well, pompous jackasses are usually the first to go, aren't they?

I understand why people mistrust someone so devious and calculating.  He is entirely separate from the group -- always has been.

The way I see it, how can I not root for the guy who, in the face of pathetic odds, says Oh, HELL nah...I'm gettin' OUT...Ef this ice bulllshhit.

In all seriousness, I'm glad someone agrees with me.  I always enjoy a solid, chaotic neutral character.  It's hard to pull off.  And Hickey seems like the only kind of man who is totally suited for the world in which he is living...a true, apocalyptic hero.

Edited by zobot81
"root" not "rout"
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Osmigo said:

It’s a historical fact that on other expeditions they did bring things they could use for entertainment when/if they had to over-winter. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I haven't seen anything about the show being definitely renewed, but I did read that, if there is a Season 2, it will focus on a new story and characters.

Well, again, I didn't read the book but the history is pretty "open and shut" as to the outcome. So I agree it would have to be a new story, maybe by the same creative team?

11 hours ago, zobot81 said:

I understand why people mistrust someone so devious and calculating.  He is entirely separate from the group -- always has been.

The way I see it, how can I not root for the guy who, in the face of pathetic odds, says Oh, HELL nah...I'm gettin' OUT...Ef this ice bulllshhit.

In all seriousness, I'm glad someone agrees with me.  I always enjoy a solid, chaotic neutral character.  It's hard to pull off.  And Hickey seems like the only kind of man who is totally suited for the world in which he is living...a true, apocalyptic hero.

I see him as a sociopath, that is, not inherently evil, just without a conscious and exclusively self interested. IMO sociopaths can serve useful roles in society, for example, triage doctors in mass casualty tragedies. Emotion wouldn't get in their way. Of course, I wouldn't want to live next to one. I like people who care about their fellow man. :) 

• Love 7

They had open-brain guy at the carnival, propped up standing and with a hat - someone mimicked giving him a drink. Shades of "Weekend at Bernie's." I assume he burned.

There were racks of some kind of clothing - did some of the men lose their critical outer clothing in the fire?

I think Crozier was dismayed at the food spread because he knew they needed it to survive. I mean, the environment serves as a food freezer as they walk to the fort.

I'm calling the bear-monster "Abominable Snow Bear."

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It’s a historical fact that on other expeditions they did bring things they could use for entertainment when/if they had to over-winter. 

Makes sense, it's not like they had Netflix for entertainment. 

That was one damn creepy horrific carnival.  Yikes. 

I have to come to this forum to find out what really happened.  Either it was so dark or I'm very slow on the uptake, but I could have sworn Lady Silence was gutting the seal the "polar bear" left her and she was chowing down on it.   Cutting out her tongue makes more sense (?!) 

I agree with the poster upstream that said that they should have never shown the creature thingy.  It's just NOT scary.  I feel their plight was scary and intriguing enough not to add this monster element.   So I'm staying in for the dark, grim feel, even though I completely rely on this forum and CC to understand.  LOL 

• Love 3

Before she used what I think was an ulu to cut out her tongue (her father also had a missing tongue), I think she was placing animals/offerings in a circle around her. I think she cut them open as a way to entice the creature. I don't know why she ran to the crew, unless she was in fear of bleeding to death and needed the good doctor.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Before she used what I think was an ulu to cut out her tongue (her father also had a missing tongue), I think she was placing animals/offerings in a circle around her. I think she cut them open as a way to entice the creature. I don't know why she ran to the crew, unless she was in fear of bleeding to death and needed the good doctor.

Interesting thought about the offerings.  I didn't make the tongue connection at first, like @jnymph I thought it was from frantic eating.  But sacrifice to the beast does make more sense. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I see him as a sociopath, that is, not inherently evil, just without a conscious and exclusively self interested. IMO sociopaths can serve useful roles in society, for example, triage doctors in mass casualty tragedies. Emotion wouldn't get in their way. Of course, I wouldn't want to live next to one. I like people who care about their fellow man. :) 

Fair.  I guess I'm actively shying away from clinical interpretations of characters -- both real, and fictional.  And I have a selfish wish that the writers have more in mind for old Hickey, beyond "sociopath".  I know that's not what you are saying, necessarily, I'm just throwing it out there.  Indeed, I have something different in mind for him. Does that makes sense? Anyway, you are exactly correct: sociopaths have a very important role to play in society.  So then, what is Hickey's role in this closed world?  To be sober, on the ready?  To be a complex foil for the other men?  (Not rhetorical, btw...I'm curious to hear your thoughts!) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jnymph said:

That was one damn creepy horrific carnival.  Yikes. 

I agree with the poster upstream that said that they should have never shown the creature thingy.  It's just NOT scary.  I feel their plight was scary and intriguing enough not to add this monster element.   So I'm staying in for the dark, grim feel, even though I completely rely on this forum and CC to understand.  LOL 

I love the beast as a metaphor. I don't think it's just bad animation that gave it an almost mask-like human face this time. I also don't think it was an arbitrary piece of editing that we cut directly from a shot showing the beast's face while getting a new shaman to a close-up facial shot of Crozier bursting out of his room sober (after being left alone wondering where everyone is). The beast represents something or someone (or several someones). They are going to great pains to film this so that it's not just a godzilla horror flick with a monster. 

As to why Lady S goes to the crew, I don't think we are supposed to know the answer to that yet. Since she won't be able to communicate with them anymore, it could be as simple as needing medical care, but nothing in this show has been that straightforward and simple so far.

And yes to the total creep out factor of the bacchanal.... and the shot of Fitz wearing the mask in the mirror. They are doing an outstanding job with these little moments of surrealism, symbolism, and disconnect from reality/descent into madness. I want there to be many Emmy nominations (and possible wins) in this show's future! 

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, raven said:

I don't think the officers are clueless.  Everyone knows they are stuck in the ice and that a weird animal is/was picking them off.   The officers were assessing how much food is left, if food is poisoned and making a plan to attempt to improve the situation.   They were talking about walking away from the ships so they are trying to plan.  Crozier is actually telling the crew what the situation is when everything goes to hell.

The men need to stick together and support each other to survive.  IMO Hickey is trying to pot stir, to split them up.  Maybe he thinks it's his best chance of survival, maybe he thinks he's smarter than everyone else, maybe it's just his nature but I don't see it being helpful in keeping everyone alive.   I do think  he was shocked that he'd killed the doctor when he was slicing the canvas; he was yelling "get back, I'm cutting through" so it's not like he wanted to stab someone.  I don't think he's evil or anything, I just think he's kind of a shit stirrer, though poking in that guy's brain was creepy (my closed captioning said "squelching", ew).

I think it's realistic of the show to not portray anyone as truly villianous; people are good and bad, weak and strong and it's reflected in the show.

I do think the actor playing Hickey is doing a good job; really, they all are.

Upon rewatch, I agree that in the aftermath of the fire, Cornelius looks like he's in shock. Given their situation, the fact he'd already been disciplined and that he seems to keep things close to his chest as a matter of course, it makes sense he would conceal what he'd done.

This show is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Some things were out of their control (the tainted/spoiled food, the weather), but for the most part it all comes down to human error (including the food, though certainly not these men's fault). As each piece falls into place, I ask myself if they might have had a chance if x character had zigged instead of zagged in a given situation. At what point did the situation cross over from "they may have a chance to survive" to "some may have a chance" to "they're all doomed"?

Hickey knows enough and is smart enough to be dangerous, but isn't smart enough or know enough to save them. He reminds me of Sir John in that respect. And like Sir John, he has the confidence and charisma to lead men to their own destruction. As you said, the men have to stick together and support each other if they're to have any chance of survival, and as Blanky told Fitzjames, when things get hard, survival comes down to a head game. That's what Hickey is playing, only he doesn't know all the rules. Like Sir John, he thinks he does, but he's completely out of his depth in this situation, and that blind spot could to get them all killed.

I understand he's scared and angry, his brain addled by lead poisoning and who knows what else. If I were in his position, I might see things the same as he. As an outside observer who has the luxury of seeing the big picture, though, I see him as a destructive force, a direct threat not only to Crozier and the other officers, but to them all.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, zobot81 said:

Fair.  I guess I'm actively shying away from clinical interpretations of characters -- both real, and fictional.  And I have a selfish wish that the writers have more in mind for old Hickey, beyond "sociopath".  I know that's not what you are saying, necessarily, I'm just throwing it out there.  Indeed, I have something different in mind for him. Does that makes sense? Anyway, you are exactly correct: sociopaths have a very important role to play in society.  So then, what is Hickey's role in this closed world?  To be sober, on the ready?  To be a complex foil for the other men?  (Not rhetorical, btw...I'm curious to hear your thoughts!) 

BBM

I think this is one of the character's main functions here, in addition to possibly setting in motions events that impact others either thoughtlessly or in the course of protecting/saving himself.

ETA, I like your wish that Hickey has more of a part to play in the big picture, heroes need something to counter after all. But then, there is your complex foil role again. :) 

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1