Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The C the C the Open C

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

James was definitely dying of scurvy, as was Gibson.  Yes, Terror and Erebus carried a supply of lemon juice to combat scurvy, but after three years, it had gotten too weak to do much good.

The crew member who told the captain there was enough open water for the boats was Hickey's spy in the camp, and was lying.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I'm wishing I had stayed up to watch the second showing; obviously I wasn't really catching on to what was happening.

4 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I was mopping my kitchen floor earlier and thinking about The Terror, as you do, and was wondering, at this point, if Hickey even wants to get back to civilization anymore.  He seemed to be really glorying in himself in this episode, not to mention the whole one-with-the-land postures.  

I was thinking that, too. When Hickey's crew wanted to double back to the Terror, Hickey did not look pleased; then he took himself up to the top of that hill and . . . I'm not sure what he was doing. I'm guessing he was plotting how to keep the men with him because he would never go back. When I saw him in that scene, so distant yet towering over the rest of the crew, silhouetted against the sky, all I could think of was Lucifer's quote from Milton's Paradise Lost : Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Why didn't Hickey's crew cook the meat? Did they carefully plan grabbing supplies and NOT grab any type of fuel or firestarter?

I think they cooked it.  I saw the cook had a stove, and there was a shot of one of the characters cutting the meat on a plate, and it looked like a medium-rare piece of steak.

Was anybody  else crying when Bridgens said to James “you’re a good man”? I totally lost it. James had the best character development of any of them, losing him is so painful (and he was so handsome too!)

At least Blanky went out with a bang. We have that. God I love him.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, maystone said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I'm wishing I had stayed up to watch the second showing; obviously I wasn't really catching on to what was happening.

I was thinking that, too. When Hickey's crew wanted to double back to the Terror, Hickey did not look pleased; then he took himself up to the top of that hill and . . . I'm not sure what he was doing. I'm guessing he was plotting how to keep the men with him because he would never go back. When I saw him in that scene, so distant yet towering over the rest of the crew, silhouetted against the sky, all I could think of was Lucifer's quote from Milton's Paradise Lost : Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

I really like this imagery, and your Paradise Lost comparison.  : )

But I think Hickey has every intention of getting home, if only for the fact that if they stayed put, he would have no one left to Lord over!  In light of that, I've decided that his is a villain's coming of age story.  He is the kind of person with enough charisma and power of persuasion -- but perhaps never the right circumstances -- to convince otherwise good men to follow him into unspeakable places, and do unspeakable things.  He has no physical prowess, just ruthless cunning.  And I do not like him, but I am fascinated by the way they have portrayed him, throughout the series -- a man, into an animal, into a monster.

A very, very dangerous monster, with a whole lot more power than what he started out with.

• Love 3
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Paws said:

Was anybody  else crying when Bridgens said to James “you’re a good man”? I totally lost it.

YES,  Bridgens set me off sobbing when he said, 'You're a good man.   There will be poems written."  (or something to that effect.)  My heart exploded.   

Yet another gut wrenching episode.  

Jared Harris continues to portray sadness, determination and fortitude with such conviction !  EMMY? Look no further.  Assisted suicide with Fitzjames was heartbreaking; along with him comforting Jopson.   I was a blubbering mess.   Beautiful story with Henry and Bridgens as well.    I agree with everyone, we don’t know nor should we care about their particular relationship.  Just that they genuinely loved each other.

Blanky!  A complete utter bad a$$ to the end.   That little crumb of happiness I was looking for:   The “Nor west Passage” !  he got to see and scrawl on his map.  (still don’t understand the forks/rope for Tuunbaq though)  Loved his last line too.   GO BLANKY !

Agree with everyone on how healthy Crozier, Goodsir and Hickey look compared to the others.    Good assumption on other posters parts that it indirectly tells us these are the main characters now.   Goodsir looked downright handsome and never thought he was.   However, ever since the first episode he's been my favorite character.   I love him. 

However, the worst part of this show (IMO of course) continues to be the Tuunbaq aspect.  I am JUST NOT feeling it.   I like the idea of Inuit ways/culture playing into this story, but I feel this tale of a creature is told awkwardly and not making much sense.   However, I'm able to overlook it and trying to see it as a metaphor, as others have mentioned. 

OMG THE FINALE IS NEXT.  I'm going to need therapy.  EEK.

eta :  Sofia standing barefoot in the snow, as Lady Jane had mentioned she did.  Trying to feel, maybe absorb some of Crozier's pain.  Very nice writing touch.  

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 8

He seemed to be really glorying in himself in this episode, not to mention the whole one-with-the-land postures.  

I wonder if the character is meant to be suffering from some kind of delusions of grandeur or megalomania, perhaps exacerbated by the stress and the lead poisoning. He's definitely a crafty sociopath on the best of days, but the aloof gazing-into-the-distance thing for long hours hints at more. ("What's he doing up on that hill all this time?" "Thinking his thoughts.")

• Love 5
12 hours ago, jnymph said:

However, the worst part of this show (IMO of course) continues to be the Tuunbaq aspect.  I am JUST NOT feeling it.   I like the idea of Inuit ways/culture playing into this story, but I feel this tale of a creature is told awkwardly and not making much sense.   However, I'm able to overlook it and trying to see it as a metaphor, as others have mentioned. 

The way they’ve been fitting Tuunbaq in since they left the ships has been awkward. I kind of wonder if it’s supposed to be enhancing bad traits but I think it’s just a clunky plot device that’s doesn’t fit when the environment they’re in is so deadly. They don’t need some boogeyman figure to pop up occassionally or be a constant threat looming in the distance.

11 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I wonder if the character is meant to be suffering from some kind of delusions of grandeur or megalomania, perhaps exacerbated by the stress and the lead poisoning. He's definitely a crafty sociopath on the best of days, but the aloof gazing-into-the-distance thing for long hours hints at more. ("What's he doing up on that hill all this time?" "Thinking his thoughts.")

I definitely buy that he’s gone mad. Mad mad. He was initially awful and dangerous but at this point he’s just full on crazy without boundaries or structure around him.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/15/2018 at 11:49 PM, Fellaway said:

I was mopping my kitchen floor earlier and thinking about The Terror, as you do, and was wondering, at this point, if Hickey even wants to get back to civilization anymore.  He seemed to be really glorying in himself in this episode, not to mention the whole one-with-the-land postures.  

i think Hickey has well and truly  lost it.  I also thought he was glorying in the landscape or the land.  I'm wondering now if he really doesn't have some connection to the tuunbaq?  I suddenly remembered he faced the tuunbaq back on the ship when he was on guard duty and the bear (very artistically) arranged the two dead bodies on the railing.  Why didn't he take out him out then and there?  Of course, the guy is just as poisoned as all the rest of them so that could also be affecting his sanity.  He now seems to be projecting some kind of Messiah figure. I still feel he will be one of the last to die.  i also think we can safely say no one is going to survive this which I figured from the beginning of the show given the real historical facts.

I was surprised Tobias Menzie's role was so small.  I would have thought they would have made greater use of him.  He's a first rate actor.  Jared Harris is also doing a great job -- I'd never seen him before in anything though I have to say he's nowhere near as sexy as his Dad.  I think we are in for a wild and bloody ride with the last episode.

i too wonder what season 2 will be about?  This was great show - glad I signed on to watch - I've enjoyed every minute!

PS - How gruesome was that shot if the guy eating the dead body off of fine porcelain with a with a knife and fork? Really great photography...

Edited by Earlwoode
  • Love 2
(edited)

I watched the episode Tuesday night and have either so much to say that I don't know where to start or so little to say that I also don't know where to start.  I think the first thing is that the performances are amazing.  Jared Harris is far and above superior to every member of this cast.  To be clear, I don't mean that he's unprofessional and upstaging everyone, I just mean that he is a goldmine in an ensemble of perfectly capable actors.

Hickey is boring.  I think he represents the British side of the evil Tuunbaq represents for the Inuit mythology.  That Evil part of man personified.  Man is cunning; mythological beasts of evil are less systematic.  

Which leads me to the greatest (and really only) criticism I have of the show -- they just couldn't decide on their audience.  The black/white Evil story of Hickey and Tuunbaq (as well as the terrible CGI of the monster being real -- whose reality is a creative decision by the writers; they could have left him more supernatural) is clearly geared toward the less sophisticated thinkers. 

Even Crozier is much too saintly. 

On the other hand, the more sophisticated audience members can wax existential about the meaning of the word "terror" and the multi-layers of the human psyche in good times and in extremes.  Of the hubris of the British Empire and the disdain for the local communities which ultimately led to everyone's failure.  Blah, over-educated, blah.

I wish they had stayed smart and left the Tuunbaq to our imaginations and made Hickey and Crozier more grey -- but they didn't.

That said -- this show is agony and I'm better for having watched it.  I'm a lifelong student of the Franklin Expedition and Simmons has really caught something about it and brought it to life.

Jared Harris is just.....I can't even.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 5
On 5/16/2018 at 3:31 PM, jnymph said:

Good assumption on other posters parts that it indirectly tells us these are the main characters now.  

I always thought they were the main characters all throughout the series as soon as Franklyn  was killed off.   Never occurred to me they were anything but.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Captanne said:

I think the first thing is that the performances are amazing.  Jared Harris is far and above superior to every member of this cast.  To be clear, I don't mean that he's unprofessional and upstaging everyone, I just mean that he is a goldmine in an ensemble of perfectly capable actors.

Hickey is boring.  I think he represents the British side of the evil Tuunbaq represents for the Inuit mythology.  That Evil part of man personified.  Man is cunning; mythological beasts of evil are less systematic.  

Which leads me to the greatest (and really only) criticism I have of the show -- they just couldn't decide on their audience.  The black/white Evil story of Hickey and Tuunbaq (as well as the terrible CGI of the monster being real -- whose reality is a creative decision by the writers; they could have left him more supernatural) is clearly geared toward the less sophisticated thinkers. 

Even Crozier is much too saintly. 

On the other hand, the more sophisticated audience members can wax existential about the meaning of the word "terror" and the multi-layers of the human psyche in good times and in extremes.  Of the hubris of the British Empire and the disdain for the local communities which ultimately led to everyone's failure.  Blah, over-educated, blah.

I wish they had stayed smart and left the Tuunbaq to our imaginations and made Hickey and Crozier more grey -- but they didn't.

I agree about JH. I've never seen him in anything else, and now I want to search out everything he's ever done. I also agree that the total reversal of Crozier from defeated drunk to saint was a little rushed in the telling. My major criticism of the show is that I never really FELT how much time was passing, even though cursory research informed me of the time frame. If they had a showcard giving dates (and I don't remember if they always did) if you blinked you missed it. I think the show could have used a few more episodes for a number of reasons. In the hands of another actor, Crozier could have come across as stereotypical and 2D as Hickey. JH elevates the character far beyond what's on the page.

I think there are others who go beyond "perfectly capable". It's just unfortunate that I don't think the actor playing Hickey is one of them. I read an interview with him (that I can't find now to post to the Hickey thread) where he talks about his intention for the character, and it just isn't coming across that way. Every time I see him on screen, I wish they'd get rid of his pointy beard. The hair and makeup people gave him a look that adds to the cartoony caricature feel I get from Hickey. I think they made a huge mistake there, and the actor isn't skilled enough to rise above it and add subtlety the way JH adds so much to a character that could have been just as flat.

I was starting to think Goodsir was pretty one note, so I LOVE his transition to detached "You're going to die" interaction. He played that so well, and perfectly captured an empathetic compassionate person who doesn't become hateful... just resigned and unaffected. Heartbreaking in some ways, but also showing some much needed backbone for the character.... and just as quickly, his true nature comes back in the face of cruelty.

I love the idea of the Tuunbaq, but the execution of the "character" just hasn't been consistent. I'm not talking about the animation; I'm referring to the point of his presence (although the animation needs improvement. The weird human clown-like face is WAY off the mark). But at this point, I think we needed to have sorted out just what (or who) Tuunbaq is or represents, and what role or significance he plays in the native culture and landscape. They could have gone several ways with it, and they didn't pick one. I can't reconcile a force that restores the balance for the long term good of the land and all its inhabitants, with a magical creature that can (and would) stack parts of frozen bodies together. Yes, frozen body-stacking (if that was a thing) is about achieving perfect balance and precision, but it's just a little too "WTF?". Is Tuunbaq playing with pieces of bodies the way people play with rocks to create such improbably but perfectly balanced stacked rock sculptures? Is it just to creep the people out? Would a supernatural force that creates balance among species by getting rid of excess caribou care about creating FEAR in the process? Is it analogous to Hickey playing with that guy's brain?

Tuunbaq was introduced in the first scene of the show. I only hope that some clarity will come in the last episode, but I'm afraid it won't. I don't think they really knew what the wanted to do with Tuunbaq beyond having scary promos before the show aired. Maybe the finale will prove me wrong.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3
(edited)

Has anyone else tried to watch this on demand and had technical issues? It kept doing this annoying thing where it would suddenly cut to a scene a few minutes ahead for about 5 seconds, then maybe a commercial would start, then it would cut back to where I was. And then it stopped entirely with 10 minutes left. 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:56 PM, Sighed I said:

Glad to see Lady Silence again, and the hunky dude from the first episode. 

OK, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that guy and though "How you doin'?"

Edited by MaryWebGirl
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, MaryWebGirl said:

Has anyone else tried to watch this on demand and had technical issues? It kept doing this annoying thing where it would suddenly cut to a scene a few minutes ahead for about 5 seconds, then maybe a commercial would start, then it would cut back to where I was. And then it stopped with 10 minutes left. 

I DVR and watch from that and no issues.

The monster thing. I think it's more just a normal bear or Eski and they are so wacked out that they see scary monster. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, MaryWebGirl said:

Has anyone else tried to watch this on demand and had technical issues? It kept doing this annoying thing where it would suddenly cut to a scene a few minutes ahead for about 5 seconds, then maybe a commercial would start, then it would cut back to where I was. And then it stopped entirely with 10 minutes left. 

OK, I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that guy and though "How you doin'?"

LOL. Yeah, I was like, "Ooh, who dat?" ;) In a land of bad wigs and questionable hygiene, a guy like that sticks out. ;)

Actually, a lot of the cast is pretty attractive (Hello, Edward and Jopson, and Blanky's pretty sexy in his own right ;), but I like how for the most part they just look like regular people, wrinkles included. It makes it easier to get lost in the story and see them as people rather than actors playing characters.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:31 AM, jnymph said:

YES,  Bridgens set me off sobbing when he said, 'You're a good man.   There will be poems written."  (or something to that effect.)  My heart exploded.   

Yet another gut wrenching episode.  

Jared Harris continues to portray sadness, determination and fortitude with such conviction !  EMMY? Look no further.  Assisted suicide with Fitzjames was heartbreaking; along with him comforting Jopson.   I was a blubbering mess.   Beautiful story with Henry and Bridgens as well.    I agree with everyone, we don’t know nor should we care about their particular relationship.  Just that they genuinely loved each other.

Blanky!  A complete utter bad a$$ to the end.   That little crumb of happiness I was looking for:   The “Nor west Passage” !  he got to see and scrawl on his map.  (still don’t understand the forks/rope for Tuunbaq though)  Loved his last line too.   GO BLANKY !

Agree with everyone on how healthy Crozier, Goodsir and Hickey look compared to the others.    Good assumption on other posters parts that it indirectly tells us these are the main characters now.   Goodsir looked downright handsome and never thought he was.   However, ever since the first episode he's been my favorite character.   I love him. 

eta :  Sofia standing barefoot in the snow, as Lady Jane had mentioned she did.  Trying to feel, maybe absorb some of Crozier's pain.  Very nice writing touch.  

Oh God, I know what you mean about Bridgens. He totally slayed me in that scene. :`( For someone who was in the background for much of the series, he ended up being a pretty cool character, and the actor is a big reason for that. He did a lot with a small role, and I was very moved by him and his story.

I'm also glad to see Jopson step to the fore, but with Crozier gone and Lt. Little in charge, I don't think he'll being going south. Jopson is going to die in the near future. How much fresh meat would it take to cure scurvy? Is Edward wrong to (presumably) leave the sick behind when they have so many miles to go and a very narrow window before winter returns? Is Crozier wrong to slow their pace to comfort the sick and dying, drawing strength from friendship and brotherhood to survive the journey?

Even Hickey's approach has a certain logic to it, repugnant as it is. They need to eat, a man is going to die. He could argue he's sparing Billy a slow agonizing death. But that's Billy's decision to make, not Hickey's, of course. I think it's interesting we haven't seen his group trying to hunt or mentioning hunting parties whereas there are multiple references to Crozier's group's efforts. They're only a quarter of the way there and already he's killed one of their own; what happens when they're halfway? I don't think they're going to make it halfway necessarily, but the point is, Hickey's group is driven by fear, whereas Crozier's is driven by love and camaraderie. With Edward leading Crozier's group, it may be shifting to a more pragmatic approach. It's a pretty fascinating dynamic.

And yes to Sofia and Lady Jane's brief return, the latter's wavering smile and the former standing barefoot in the snow. As some mentioned upthread, Fitzjames echoing, "More than God loves them" in reference to Crozier was also very moving.

Blanky wrapped forks around himself as a weapon. He can't stop Tuunbaq from devouring him, but he can make it hurt and possibly buy his friends some more time (and maybe, if he's lucky, kill the creature altogether).

16 hours ago, slothgirl said:

I was starting to think Goodsir was pretty one note, so I LOVE his transition to detached "You're going to die" interaction. He played that so well, and perfectly captured an empathetic compassionate person who doesn't become hateful... just resigned and unaffected. Heartbreaking in some ways, but also showing some much needed backbone for the character.... and just as quickly, his true nature comes back in the face of cruelty.

I have and always will love Goodsir. :) I think his development has been more subtle vs. say, Crozier and Hickey, who have dramatic arcs. He's such a good man, genuinely openminded and compassionate. I like his metamorphosis from hesitant and almost apologetic to curious and growing in competence and confidence to grimly resigned and indifferent. Overall, I've found him pretty well-rounded. Plus it's been nice having someone I could consistently root for. ;)

Anyway, the bolded part above really encapsulated that moment. He didn't say a word, but we knew exactly what was being said. Just another powerfully acted scene. I also loved the "breathing tent" scene mentioned upthread.

I agree Jared Harris is a powerhouse, but I too think he's in excellent company. He's most definitely the lead actor, but, like @Captanne said, not in an upstaging, unprofessional way, rather that he elevates it. He sets the stage, and the rest step up accordingly. Then he taps just a little bit deeper and squeezes that extra truth or nuance from the performance. Now I'm a weepy mess because all these people I've come to love are dying left and right. It was a tough sell, watching a show like this, knowing from the outset the characters are doomed, yet by the first time we hear the opening theme, I was already hooked.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:31 AM, jnymph said:

16 hours ago, slothgirl said:

I love the idea of the Tuunbaq, but the execution of the "character" just hasn't been consistent. I'm not talking about the animation; I'm referring to the point of his presence (although the animation needs improvement. The weird human clown-like face is WAY off the mark). But at this point, I think we needed to have sorted out just what (or who) Tuunbaq is or represents, and what role or significance he plays in the native culture and landscape. They could have gone several ways with it, and they didn't pick one. I can't reconcile a force that restores the balance for the long term good of the land and all its inhabitants, with a magical creature that can (and would) stack parts of frozen bodies together. Yes, frozen body-stacking (if that was a thing) is about achieving perfect balance and precision, but it's just a little too "WTF?". Is Tuunbaq playing with pieces of bodies the way people play with rocks to create such improbably but perfectly balanced stacked rock sculptures? Is it just to creep the people out? Would a supernatural force that creates balance among species by getting rid of excess caribou care about creating FEAR in the process? Is it analogous to Hickey playing with that guy's brain?

Tuunbaq was introduced in the first scene of the show. I only hope that some clarity will come in the last episode, but I'm afraid it won't. I don't think they really knew what the wanted to do with Tuunbaq beyond having scary promos before the show aired. Maybe the finale will prove me wrong.

Compared to the other story arcs, which seem so carefully crafted, the Tuunbaq thread comes across a bit disjointed. It comes in fits and starts. There's not enough information to piece together a cohesive narrative and reconcile seemingly conflicting things. I think they left it too vague, and at times, not vague enough. It's kind of floating around in plot limbo crashing into things now and then.

I really like the idea of weaving the Inuit into the story, as they were certainly a part of real life events, and a significant source of what little we do know about the expedition's fate. I like the idea of Tuunbaq too. It just hasn't been executed particularly well, and considering the setup, it's going to have to be pretty amazing to make up for the clunky narrative. I've definitely liked some aspects. I like the "bringing Lady Silence a seal" scene and love the Blanky/Tuunbaq standoff; Franklin's demise made a big impression as well. I really like Lady Silence. I want to like it and it's an element with a lot of potential, but if you're not going to do anything with it, it just gets in the way of the primary narrative.

We'll see. They've managed to raise the bar again and again so I won't count them out yet. I'm somewhat dubious, but I'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 5
(edited)

Sighed I, the whole problem I have with the "fancy lady with toes in snow" bit is that it's WAY too little too late.  Also, she didn't know Crozier the way we do.  She never gave him the chance because society told her she shouldn't.  The relationship (which went through TWO proposals and rejections, not just one) was torpedoed by Sir and Lady Franklin.  By. the. Way.  Nuts to them, I say.

I know, they were all -- as is the entire mission -- victims of British hubris.

But still.  Crozier, although "common" and Irish was still an Englishman -- Ireland hadn't become a Republic, yet.  He should have been completely suitable.

ETA:  Also, if I may note.  Male work colleague (straight) and I (straight) have the publicity photo of Crozier pinned to our office wall.  We put it up the minute some hero posted them on the media thread.  

NB:  Jared Harris' twitter bio has #actor first and #happilymarried second.  He's no fool.  (I paraphrase but it's something hilarious like that.)

Er.  Not that I have checked or anything.

Don't you DARE judge me.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Captanne said:

Sighed I, the whole problem I have with the "fancy lady with toes in snow" bit is that it's WAY too little too late.  Also, she didn't know Crozier the way we do.  She never gave him the chance because society told her she shouldn't.  The relationship (which went through TWO proposals and rejections, not just one) was torpedoed by Sir and Lady Franklin.  By. the. Way.  Nuts to them, I say.

I know, they were all -- as is the entire mission -- victims of British hubris.

But still.  Crozier, although "common" and Irish was still an Englishman -- Ireland hadn't become a Republic, yet.  He should have been completely suitable.

No, I'm with you. Sofia said it was about him being a sailor, but it was clearly about class as well. I think she did love him, but she took him for granted. If he'd been knighted and quit the Service, she might've been swayed, but it shouldn't have taken that either. A man devoted to her the way Crozier was is a dream come true for many women; she blew it and he paid the price. :`(

I still bad for her, though, in the sense of regretting a decision that at the time you didn't realize would be so far reaching. That's the kind of thing which can haunt a person for the rest of their days.

ETA:  Also, if I may note.  Male work colleague (straight) and I (straight) have the publicity photo of Crozier pinned to our office wall.  We put it up the minute some hero posted them on the media thread.  

NB:  Jared Harris' twitter bio has #actor first and #happilymarried second.  He's no fool.  (I paraphrase but it's something hilarious like that.)

Er.  Not that I have checked or anything.

Don't you DARE judge me.

I'm in no position to judge. Crozier is my desktop wallpaper on my work computer. LOL. ;)

RE: Jared's twitter bio, as if I couldn't love him more. Sigh. ;) Actually, that's very sweet. <3 He comes off as very funny and self-deprecating in interviews, very personable too. I haven't followed his career at all, but after seeing him in this, I will now.

• Love 3

LOL  Here's the real thing:

#Actor, proud #Husband of @Allegratastic, in #TheTerror on #AMC, wrapped #CarnivalRow & soon #Chernobyl - lainie@thegreenhousepr.com

• Love 2
On 5/17/2018 at 3:47 PM, AZChristian said:

@slothgirl . . . Jared Harris as George VI in "The Crown." Not to be missed.

He first appeared on my TV screen as Lane Pryce in Mad Men. Then I hadn't seen him again, until The Crown. He's excellent, in everything.

• Love 7
(edited)

Does anyone know what the significance is of "C" in Peglar's poem/episode title? Why not just use the word "sea"? My first thought was C for cannibalism, but I can't see it meaning only that, if it does at all.

ETA: Just thought of something else. In this episode we have a redshirt in a similar state as Pvt. Heather, the Marine whose brain was partially exposed. Now that we pretty much know Tuunbaq eats/takes/absorbs souls, were these instances of him taking their souls before they were dead? What I can't wrap my head around, though, is how a man with his skull ripped open could possibly survive, albeit in a vegetative state, particularly back then.

I know, chances are these questions will be answered Monday night--at least I hope so!--but it's something that's been niggling at me for the past few days and I keep forgetting to mention it here on the forum. Should anyone pop in between now and then, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Edited by Sighed I
  • Love 1

One title, at least, is taken from Beattie’s book, Frozen in Time. Chapter 7 is called Terror Camp Clear and so is episode 8.  I think C may have just been shorthand for those whom literacy did not come easy?  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Captanne said:

One title, at least, is taken from Beattie’s book, Frozen in Time. Chapter 7 is called Terror Camp Clear and so is episode 8.  I think C may have just been shorthand for those whom literacy did not come easy?  

That is how I took it. And Bridgens reaction to Henry's writing was like a loving parent appreciating the thought as much as the misspelled gift.

• Love 3
On 5/19/2018 at 3:14 AM, Bcharmer said:

He first appeared on my TV screen as Lane Pryce in Mad Men. Then I hadn't seen him again, until The Crown. He's excellent, in everything.

I'm a big fan of his since the good old days of Fringe, where he played such an evil and ruthless character that Hickey would look like a harmless baby compared to him. But IMO his best recent recurring role has been in The Expanse. It's an amazing and terribly underrated sci-fi show that probably won't continue past the current season, unfortunately. If anyone here is into sci-fi, I can't recommend it enough. Here I can't even say whether JH's character is a good or a bad guy, which makes things 1000 times more interesting. He's sort of a gang/union leader with understandable goals but questionable means of achieving them. Actually, have a sneak peek: this is one of my favourite monologues from the show.

• Love 3

I have never seen "The Expanse" or Jared Harris in anything other than "The Terror" but I watched that clip you linked, true north and .... my, God.  That was breathtaking.  He really is even a better actor than his father was.  My goodness.

• Love 1

I just rewatched this episode and it really hit me in the feels.  After watching the captain help James to die, then minister to Jopson, then poor Goodsir, Gibson and Hodgson, along comes the scene where Hickey's men used the ruse to abduct Crozier and a man is shot.  This scene really got to me this time; the captain was so tender when he told the soldier to go be with his brother.   Watching Crozier's depth of compassion while saying goodbye to another of his men was heartbreaking.

• Love 4

I'm absolutely serious when I say that Jared Harris is a much better actor than his father.  He needs to stay in television (close camera) -- I've never seen him do theatre (where he has to play to a distant audience) but he reaches through the television screen and grabs you by the heart.  At least he did mine.  

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Captanne said:

I'm absolutely serious when I say that Jared Harris is a much better actor than his father.  He needs to stay in television (close camera) -- I've never seen him do theatre (where he has to play to a distant audience) but he reaches through the television screen and grabs you by the heart.  At least he did mine.  

He would be a shoe-in for an Emmy if it weren't for Donald Sutherland in Trust. And how funny that the 2 best  - by FAR - performances this year are by the son of a famous acting father, and the father of an also famous acting son. I think Richard Harris was a product of his time as far as acting styles, and coming from theater himself, wasn't prone to subtlety. In the case of the Sutherlands, as much as I love Keif, the father is the master.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

Man, this one ripped my heart to pieces. Poor darling James! Poor sweet Jopson! Poor magnificent Blanky! Poor Henry and John! And poor Crozier and Goodsir! (I mean, they're still alive, but in a horrible situation!)

On 5/14/2018 at 7:21 PM, SimoneS said:

Was the Inuit woman trying to get her people to help the men after all they did? It was sad how the Inuit leader was telling her how the British had scared off the little game there was and left them all starving except for what they could hunt from the sea.

Now I am convinced that John and Henry were lovers.

That first Inuit scene you mention I think is crucial and directly explains the Tuunbaq's role (to me, at least), which is kind of that of an avenging angel. The fact that it has appeared to avenge wrongs against the Inuit (and sacrileges by the arrogant invaders) continues to make me think it is a spiritual thing.

For me, it was very obvious that Bridgens and Peglar were lovers, that everyone knew about it and was fine with it (in an unspoken way), and that they were essential to the plot as a counterpoint to Hickey, who would otherwise potentially embody the Evil Gay trope. I also found Bridgens and Peglar incredibly moving and well-acted, and I liked the fact that they subtly moved to the forefront in a very natural way from about midseason -- as the number of men dwindled, we got to notice more about those that remained.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:33 PM, tennisgurl said:

“How was my Monday night? Well, I cried about the fates of a bunch of guys who died over 170 years ago.” -My episode summary. 

I know I'm chiming in years later, but oh wow, do I feel this. It was how I spent my New Year's! (sigh)

On 5/14/2018 at 9:54 PM, slothgirl said:

John and Henry... I still don't quite know what their relationship was, and the beauty of it is that I don't need to. I got a father/son or mentor/mentee vibe rather than lovers until this last ep, but whatever it was (and I'm not looking to debate it) it was genuine love of 2 sensitive poetic souls.

So Tuunbaq exists to maintain the natural balance/order? That doesn't track with what we've been seeing so far. Why would "obeying" a human ever even be a consideration if that was the point? Why all the magic tricks stacking bodies and displaying heads? At least LS got her little statue figures carved. If Tuunbaq is still "hers", why do they need another shaman to go find him?

On John and Henry, they are definitely lovers. This was confirmed by the producers (and actors, I think, as well) at some point. Meanwhile, the scenes in this episode of poor Henry's final illness, and John's tender care of him slayed me, especially when John took Henry in his arms (as the rest of the crew looked on with tacit caring for what he was going through) and then carried him over to lie in the boat. When he died and John simply went off to lie alone among the stones, giving up to die quietly with Henry's journal close to him, I cried like a baby. AGAIN. THIS FREAKING EPISODE. SNIFFLE.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:00 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Have I mentioned how much I love this show despite being so heartbreaking?  I both dread next week's finale, but I equally can't wait to see how all of this ends!

This is me as well. I knew from the opening episode that it would be a probable litany of tragic events, but I have found so much that is beautiful that I'm glad I suffered through all the violence and terror and sadness. I wouldn't have missed this for the world. An extraordinary series.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:56 PM, Sighed I said:

And Bridgens holding it together for Henri, and reading to him. It was a beautiful bookend to the first time we see the two of them together, bonding over books. I wonder if Bridgens is giving up now, or "just" mourning?

Oh, not just mourning. After Henry's death, John I felt went to lie himself down and die of grief and exposure, all the sooner to be reunited with Henry. Such a beautiful moving scene, and John Lynch was amazing there.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:26 AM, zobot81 said:

I noticed this, too, and considered why these three characters (in particular) look healthier than the rest of the crew. 

If I were to venture a guess, it is a deliberate exploitation of the medium (in this case, makeup/wardrobe) -- we are, at this point, meant to see these three men as the main characters.  And if we have not reached this conclusion organically, through plot and dialogue, it is perhaps the best way to "tell" us who matters most (ie. who the last men standing will be).

Furthermore, there was some discussion after past episodes about why Crozier appears fundamentally more fit than the other men, especially after detox.  The consensus seemed to be that while he was sobering up (for about two weeks?), Crozier was barely eating (if at all), so was not as badly exposed to the poisoned can rations.

Physiologically, I see no real reason why Goodsir and Hickey would be better off than the rest of the men.

There are several believable reasons for Crozier, Goodsir, and Hickey to be in visibly better health.

Crozier's health can be chalked up to superior diet as a captain -- he and the other officers would have been dining on the superior rations for years (not the tinned food), and I actually think further that his alcoholism may have oddly protected him further. Goodsir, who has known about the canned issues far longer than anyone else, would almost certainly have done his best not to eat it and to choose the other supplies where they might be available to him. As for Hickey, he's implied to have been stealing the best for himself across the voyage, and has certainly been spending these later weeks or even months subsisting on whatever better fare he could get for himself... and then dog... and then human meat.

I think James would have been in better shape if scurvy hadn't taken hold and opened up so many of his previous battle wounds and hit him so hard. 

On 5/15/2018 at 11:59 AM, islandgal140 said:

Also, what are they doing for fresh water? A person can go a few weeks without food, but water is another story altogether. 

The actor playing Bridgens has such a kind face with soulful eyes. The Harry/Bridgens relationship really has me curious. At times it seems father/son like or mentor/mentee with incredible fondness but every once and again I catch a glimpse of something deeper. Whatever the case, it is beautiful!

Their fresh water situation should be pretty good. They have not needed to access their supplied (barreled) fresh water during the years on the ships (the ice itself would provide all they needed), so they would only have needed to use those supplies recently.

Meanwhile, John Bridgens and Henry were definitely romantic (and it was wonderfully, gently portrayed). And John Lynch has been so lovely in playing Bridgens (he's one of my favorite character actors going all the way back to "The Secret Garden," "The Fall," and "The Secret of Roan Inish," among many others).

On 5/16/2018 at 7:31 AM, jnymph said:

Mine too. I cried buckets.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:36 AM, Captanne said:

#Actor, proud #Husband of @Allegratastic, in #TheTerror on #AMC, wrapped #CarnivalRow & soon #Chernobyl - lainie@thegreenhousepr.com

I adore Jared Harris, have for years now, and I was absolutely thrilled like a total fangirl when he responded to some of my tweets 3-4 years back about "Mad Men." I loved his performance as Lane Pryce, although I hated where Weiner chose to take the character. His delightful moments when the new agency was formed ("Happy Christmas!") will remain among my favorites across the entire show.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 1