Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Didn't Spencer from BB15 work with an autism children's charity or something when he wasn't working for the railroad?

Spencer work with a charity?  Aw hell no.   The only charity Spencer Clawson was ever involved with was the Spencer Clawson Retirement Fund.

A good percentage of that season got shitcanned or their representation dropped them. 

"YOU get a pink slip and you get a pink slip. EVERYBODY GETS PINK SLIPS!"

Spencer didn’t get fired over his BB15 comments - at least, not outright.  Union Pacific issued a censure statement distancing itself from his remarks, and they did try to terminate him for same by citing violation of a morals clause in the UP employee’s handbook - but railroaders have a strong union (United Transportation Union) and management couldn’t make the charges stick for free speech made off the clock.  
Which isn’t to say Spencer didn’t eventually get fired; his actions got him marked by both management and the union, so both kept an eagle eye on him - and it was only a matter of time before he accumulated enough documented infractions to warrant dismissal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

If this were an early season, full of newbies, it would be one thing. But these are repeaters, some of them more than once. No sympathy from me for any of them dealing with the real world consequences of their words and actions. I could never be in a situation like this - I would be so conscious of being watched at all times, I would barely say anything, and then only simple statements like "the cereal is in the cabinet."

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

I would barely say anything, and then only simple statements like "the cereal is in the cabinet."

Ha! Let me first say I agree with your approach, but I immediately thought of at least a dozen cereals that could make that simple statement racist, homophobic, sexist or xenophobic. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The only time I had sympathy for any of these houseguests making an inappropriate statement was Erika on BB4 and that was because the whole house made comments on the feed and they aired the one comment Erika said. Also, it helped she gave a real apology to Jee at the finale not one of those fake ones.

10 hours ago, Ananayel said:

If this were an early season, full of newbies, it would be one thing. But these are repeaters, some of them more than once. No sympathy from me for any of them dealing with the real world consequences of their words and actions. I could never be in a situation like this - I would be so conscious of being watched at all times, I would barely say anything, and then only simple statements like "the cereal is in the cabinet."

You forget this is a show where saying "Good morning" to a houseguest will get you in trouble. 🙂

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Bayleigh Dayton on the double standard for Black players on Big Brother: All-Stars

Interesting article, especially the part where Bay says that Christmas eventually apologized to her.  It's unlikely we'll ever see it since the show did such a good job of painting Christmas as the wronged party.  Also interesting was Christmas calling Ian her untouchable.  Didn't she "save" him when he won the safety suite?  Obviously it was subterfuge, but interesting none-the-less.

• Love 2
On 9/11/2020 at 8:52 AM, Lamb18 said:

You forget this is a show where saying "Good morning" to a houseguest will get you in trouble. 🙂

Well yes. But then they look like the crazy ones, and I'm unlikely to lose my job for helpfully pointing out where the cereal is!

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Cherry Cola said:

I would be stressed by Ian's constant rocking as well. I get that it soothes him. But it's unfair that they can't express that they don't like it, without people automatically calling them bullies. 

When you sign up to go on a show where you will be living with so many other people, you sort of have to know that the other people will have quirks that can "stress" you out. Ian's rocking does not interfere with anybody else and he does not invade anybody else's space when he does it. If they don't like it, look the other way or leave that room when he is doing it. I really cannot see getting impacted by something so innocuous when it is not something anybody is forced to watch. Leave the room. 

And it is the WAY they expressed it that was offensive. They laughed about it and made fun of it. They certainly were not discussing it in a concerned manner or sincerely asking if that is a symptom of his condition. 

So yes, they were bullies in a playground, doing what they do best: taunting, and doing it behind his back. it sure tells me who they are and I believe if they were not on the show and let's say at a private gathering, the mocking would have been extreme and much worse. This is who they are. 

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

When you sign up to go on a show where you will be living with so many other people, you sort of have to know that the other people will have quirks that can "stress" you out. Ian's rocking does not interfere with anybody else and he does not invade anybody else's space when he does it. If they don't like it, look the other way or leave that room when he is doing it. I really cannot see getting impacted by something so innocuous when it is not something anybody is forced to watch. Leave the room. 

And it is the WAY they expressed it that was offensive. They laughed about it and made fun of it. They certainly were not discussing it in a concerned manner or sincerely asking if that is a symptom of his condition. 

So yes, they were bullies in a playground, doing what they do best: taunting, and doing it behind his back. it sure tells me who they are and I believe if they were not on the show and let's say at a private gathering, the mocking would have been extreme and much worse. This is who they are. 

I disagree. The girls were talking quietly about thr rocking after Memphis left.  But if they left the room anytime Ian came in the room, they would be criticized for that as well. Have they said more about him that I am unaware of? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

I disagree. The girls were talking quietly about thr rocking after Memphis left.  But if they left the room anytime Ian came in the room, they would be criticized for that as well. Have they said more about him that I am unaware of? 

This (in her video, she explains it and tells what they said) Are they quietly talking? Or even this?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

This (in her video, she explains it and tells what they said)

I don't see what's so bad about what he said. It was hard to hear every word, but it sounded like he was bothered by Ian standing over him laying in bed and rocking. That would annoy the shit out of me too!

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

This (in her video, she explains it and tells what they said) Are they quietly talking? Or even this?

We have different opinions on this, and that is ok. The video of Nicole and Dani alone, yes, they are speaking quietly. 

But, I guess if you are a social media Influencer,  like Nicole, maybe she should be more careful. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I don't see what's so bad about what he said. It was hard to hear every word, but it sounded like he was bothered by Ian standing over him laying in bed and rocking. That would annoy the shit out of me too!

I have trouble hearing it too, but from what I can hear and from all other accounts and dissections, he is saying he has a nightmare (or could have a nightmare) of waking up and seeing Ian standing over him and rocking--not that Ian has actually ever done that!--and refers to "red rum" which is from a horror movie?  Ian's autistic, not a homicidal maniac!  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

I would be stressed by Ian's constant rocking as well. I get that it soothes him. But it's unfair that they can't express that they don't like it, without people automatically calling them bullies. 

Their words are being broadcast. If they say unkind things about someone they should expect to be judged by viewers. If they say unkind things about someone regarding a trait that person can't help, they should expect to be judged harshly. Ian's friends and family are hearing what they say and when Ian gets out of the house he will too. It's hurtful, thoughtless, and immature behavior.

I understand that tics, whether they be stimming, vocalizing, stuttering, etc., can make people uncomfortable. But you're on a damn TV show. Either keep your thoughts to yourself or face the consequences. These so-called Allstars should know BB fans don't take to that shit kindly, lol.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, kassandra8286 said:

Their words are being broadcast. If they say unkind things about someone they should expect to be judged by viewers. If they say unkind things about someone regarding a trait that person can't help, they should expect to be judged harshly. Ian's friends and family are hearing what they say and when Ian gets out of the house he will too. It's hurtful, thoughtless, and immature behavior.

I understand that tics, whether they be stimming, vocalizing, stuttering, etc., can make people uncomfortable. But you're on a damn TV show. Either keep your thoughts to yourself or face the consequences. These so-called Allstars should know BB fans don't take to that shit kindly, lol.

Yeah. I guess I don't even know why I care.  I don't like Nicole, Dani or Memphis anyway.  😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

So is the video cited above, which is about a minute long, all there is? Or are there other videos of houseguests laughing about Ian? 

3 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

Ian follows people room to room quite often in the house especially Nicole. Memphis complained about it week one that whenever he tried to get away from Ian that Ian would reappear. I’ve also seen Ian hang out alone on the couch in the bathroom while people are taking showers rocking furiously. That would stress me out. 

I think the comments and laughing about his disability are disgusting. I have anxiety Ian’s rocking stresses me  out. I know he can’t control it like I can’t control my anxiety in stressful situations. It’s good to know in your eyes my disability isn’t real. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

II have anxiety Ian’s rocking stresses me  out. I know he can’t control it like I can’t control my anxiety in stressful situations. It’s good to know in your eyes my disability isn’t real. 

I have OCD and panic attacks. However, I know that when I am in a stressful situation and my panic is triggered, I have to be proactive and take action to reduce my anxiety and stress. It is not for the other person to change; I have to change my space and remove myself from the trigger so I am less stressed. 

If I wore a red dress and the color red set off your anxiety, I can verbally validate your feelings and understand it, but should I stop wearing red to  accommodate your disability? No. You should move away so you no longer see me. 

You cannot control what others do, you can only control how you react to it. You should leave the room. And since he cannot control it and you get real anxiety over it, why would it be a problem every time for you to do all you had to do to reduce your anxiety... even if that mean always leaving a room when he is around? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I have OCD and panic attacks. However, I know that when I am in a stressful situation and my panic is triggered, I have to be proactive and take action to reduce my anxiety and stress. It is not for the other person to change; I have to change my space and remove myself from the trigger so I am less stressed. 

If I wore a red dress and the color red set off your anxiety, I can verbally validate your feelings and understand it, but should I stop wearing red to to accomodate your disability? No. You should move away so you no longer see me. 

You cannot control what others do, you can only control how you react to it. You should leave the room. 

Leaving the room is not possible because like I said people have tried and Ian follows them. I watched him one night on the feeds and he followed Nicole room to room for 2 hours finally she went to the bed and he still wouldn't leave. The one time this season someone got upset with Ian was Bay when he called her Day. She told him she needed space and it triggered a panic attack for him because he thought the show would portray him as a racist.  My point is anxiety is real and I don't fault anyone telling someone they feel bad, but the rocking makes them anxious and it's not Ian's fault. The issue is this group went a lot further to the point they compared him to a fictional serial killer. 

Colors don't set off my anxiety, but let's say it did and Janelle wore a red dress if I told someone the color red makes me anxious and I need to work on that in the house, I don't see anything wrong with that vs Anyone who wears red makes me uncomfortable and reminds me of a serial killer. 

The real solution would be for production to give Ian a rocking chair in the house. He has mentioned multiple times he has one at home and it helps him. I get what you are saying. In real life it is easier to avoid triggers in the Big Brother house which isn't that big it's a lot harder. It is something Ian has mentioned multiple times that if he could have a rocking chair or more access to the background it would be a lot easier  for him to deal with what triggers him. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 4

I did not watch the video linked because it is from Katie Joy and I cannot tolerate her. So, I'm not entirely sure what specific parts of the live feed are being shown and discussed. I also should be asleep and not typing this, so it will probably be rambling and not concise.

Most of them have talked about Ian's rocking, but it hasn't ALL been in a mocking and nasty way. One of the video clips of Nicole I've seen floating around shows it beginning with Dani saying something like, "I feel bad about it, but his rocking makes me anxious." I saw that comment when it happened and it was part of a general discussion of Dani and Nicole bitching about being stuck in the house like the others were also doing. Personally, I did not take that comment as mocking him, it was just a matter-of-fact statement and I don't remember there being laughing and imitating his rocking around that comment or anything. If I'm wrong, then I'll change my position on it.

However, it was not the only statement. They both, along with Memphis and Cody, made comments, laughed hysterically, and imitated him rocking. In one of the clips with Memphis that I think must have been posted above because people are mentioning how hard it was to hear and his "red rum" comment, Nicole was laughing hysterically at Memphis imitating his walk, rock, and way of speaking, just like the others; they were feeding off each other. I do not remember Nicole specifically saying something mocking herself, but she did respond that Memphis shouldn't interrogate him, as suggested by Dani. There was also a conversation between Dani and Nicole where Dani suggested he was "playing up his autism" for the game and Nicole agreed. I think it was a previous conversation and not the one where she said it made her anxious because I think Christmas, Enzo, and Cody were there for that one. I wouldn't put money on it, though, because they talk about his autism and tics a lot.

Both Dani and Nicole were talked to in the DR about it. It sounds like Dani was made aware that she was being offensive, but I'm not sure about Nicole. A company seeing one of their brand ambassadors laughing like a drunk hyena at an unapologetic asshole (Memphis) mocking and insulting something someone couldn't help would certainly be a concern to that business. It doesn't help that Nicole has not appeared to own her actions. Dani addressed to Nicole, almost certainly after a DR visit, that she felt bad about complaining about his autism because she taught kids with special needs, including Downs Syndrome, and she should be more understanding. Cody said he didn't notice it being really bad but the others all called him on it and I think it was after Dani mentioned her DR visit, which didn't stop any of them, including Nicole, from laughing with Memphis and making fun of his rocking, wrapping himself in a blanket for comfort, and his vocabulary.

It's like when Jack was called into the DR to discuss his statements and he just blew it off saying it was just feed watchers taking things out of context and just continued on his merry way. With Nicole and negativity toward Ian, it's a series of moments including after the DR spoke to her and Dani (and probably the others) that made her laughing with the others at Memphis' mocking that crossed the line into "too far" territory for many of us.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Nicole's laugh wasn't the kind one might hear from someone reluctantly going along with someone they needed in the game and didn't want to offend.  it was full out, uproarious laughter that continued after Memphis left.  as someone in the medical profession, she should be ashamed of herself.  maybe she needs to work more as an RN and less an "influencer" and can see what patients have to endure and she might act better.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, watch2much said:

Nicole's laugh wasn't the kind one might hear from someone reluctantly going along with someone they needed in the game and didn't want to offend.  it was full out, uproarious laughter that continued after Memphis left.  as someone in the medical profession, she should be ashamed of herself.  maybe she needs to work more as an RN and less an "influencer" and can see what patients have to endure and she might act better.

I don’t think Nicole has worked as an RN since she won BB18 in 2016, so continuing to identify her as “someone in the medical profession” may no longer be accurate.

• Love 2
On 9/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

And TMZ has updated the story to add that Nicole has now lost her sponsorship/social media promoter/whatever-it-was gig with Olay Skin Care. IIRC, there was a BB a number of years ago where a contestant who was a Special Ed teacher referred to her students as "r******" and it was caught on the live feeds. She was fired immediately, but of course didn't find out until she was eliminated several weeks later. She came out of the house and was basically told "FYI, you were canned last month."

You may be thinking of Alicia Rosa from Survivor.  I remember she said something along those lines about Christina during One World.  Alicia was a Special Ed teacher, which made her comments even more shocking.

Adam from BB9 also worked with youths who had special needs and he made some comment about the r****** getting a haircut.  I cannot remember the exact quote but it was something along those lines.

Edited to add what I came on here to say:  I was watching Danielle and Jason's Secret Alliance YouTube show and I have to say I enjoy it.  But one thing I noticed is Jason's has a very pronounced newscaster voice.  Now I know he does that for a living but I do not recall his voice sounding that much like a newscaster back when he played the game.

Edited by BK1978
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2020 at 1:57 AM, BK1978 said:

But one thing I noticed is Jason's has a very pronounced newscaster voice.  Now I know he does that for a living but I do not recall his voice sounding that much like a newscaster back when he played the game.

I'm just happy when he's able to express a full thought. My god, I love you Danielle, but you sure can taaaaalk. I feel like she's constantly interrupting him, and worse, speaking over the featured guest!

• Love 1

I read a comment that said this show is bombing way worse than ever expected. I pulled up the ratings but I'm not sure if it is as bad as the comment suggested, or if it is just worse than expected for an All Stars season.

My screencap of the pages say it is too large to load and I cannot cut and paste the graphs, so you'll have to click the above link. At the bottom of the page, it has the rating averages for last season, which do appear to be higher, but I'm not sure if that is a significant amount or not.

For comparisons: The Wednesday editions of season 21 of Big Brother on CBS averaged a 1.12 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 4.27 million viewers. The Thursday editions averaged a 1.06 in the demo with 4.10 million viewers. The Sunday editions averaged a 1.12 in the demo with 4.45 million viewers.

The changes from week to week are pretty erratic. With football starting, it's no wonder why they decided to shuffle the Sunday episode to Monday.

• Useful 2

image0.png?width=188&height=406

Julie completely (and purposefully) missing the point.

But let's dissect that: out of 21 winners, 3 have been non-white. 14%. And it took 15 years before another non-white person won after Jun.

Also, more black people have been cast than other POC and yet none have ever won. Only 1 black person has ever even made F2.

You almost have to laugh at how tone deaf Production/Julie are honestly. Quite an accomplishment lol.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

But let's dissect that: out of 21 winners, 3 have been non-white. 14%. And it took 15 years before another non-white person won after Jun.

Also, more black people have been cast than other POC and yet none have ever won. Only 1 black person has ever even made F2.

You almost have to laugh at how tone deaf Production/Julie are honestly. Quite an accomplishment lol.

Didn't Natalie identify as half black? It's still a huge problem that only 2 black people have made the final 2 in 22 seasons. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Agree. Also, I feel like Julie has minimal exposure to the actual game. She seems more up to date about the house and game in recent years compared to when she had other daily jobs like CBS Morning Show (or whatever it is called) and then The Talk. Yet she still seems like she has a limited view based on the broadcast and what staff informs her of what is going on so that she sounds like she is up to date on the live shows. 

Additionally, it annoys me that Julie is one of the people that misuses the term floater. A floater is someone without an alliance who floats to power and votes with power. Maggie was the leader of the Friendship alliance. Definitely not a floater. Rachel Reilly misunderstood what floater meant and used it to mean someone who hasn’t won comps. Now people misuse it to mean so many different things I’m not sure they even know what it means when they say “I am NOT a floater!” Floating is a legit strategy for some players and not always a bad thing. But it is often not strategically respected.

• Love 5

Russell Hantz runs a recap show for Big Brother and he had James Rhine on as a guest.  I did not watch the whole thing because it was over an hour long, but one thing I did see that I found funny is James absolutely hates Christmas.  He said she did not belong on the current season because nothing she did on her first season was earned, it was just given to her.  He then compared her to Chicken George.  He said there were plenty of others who should have been there over her and he named Cowboy of all people as one of those people who should have been there.

You know a hatred is real when someone says that Cowboy should be in the game over you.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

I'm listening to Rob and Taran on The Slop podcast talking with Tommy Bracco. Completely against my expectations, he's being extremely interesting, giving a lot of insight into why this season is boring, and his thoughts about the various players. Definitely worth a listen, especially since his experience has given him a lot of insider knowledge. 

ETA Tommy has some really interesting info about the HOH letters, and why they're often disappointing to the houseguests. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

Tommy has some really interesting info about the HOH letters, and why they're often disappointing to the houseguests. 

What did he say? I'm not about to listen to Taran and Tommy for that long but I am kinda curious about this lol.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

What did he say? I'm not about to listen to Taran and Tommy for that long but I am kinda curious about this lol.

He says that although production calls the families and gives them a couple of hours to write the letters after the HOH is won, (I assume the families then read them over the phone to production to be transcribed, unless they live near the studio, or maybe faxed??) production heavily edits the letters, removing anything that could remotely be a hint. As a result, the letters are super bland and impersonal. 

Tommy talks a lot about Nicole, and how he attended a BBQ with her right before BB22 and how she never said a word about it. He thinks her decision to stick 100% to her contract and promise of secrecy made a lot of people mad at her, even though he feels she was doing the right thing. 

Even though he seems to like her, he's baffled by why she was upset with Victor for her HOH letter not being what she wanted. He says any 3 time player has to know why HOH letters are so impersonal. I'm pretty sure he said Victor talked to him about just this. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but I might actually give Tommy's podcast a listen sometime. If he's on RHAP again I'll definitely listen. 

That said, I missed the last half because (I'm not making this up) my cat stepped on my remote and messed up my TV. By the time we got that sorted out, I thought a nice morning nap was more inviting. This is my quarantine life. 😊

• Useful 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2