Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Appears to be a lot of that going around.  This shit a side effect of COVID-19 or something?

Well, I suppose if you're quarantining with someone and after a few months, you still haven't thrown each other's clothes out the window (or thrown each other out the window), its meant to be.

I had to look up who Meg is. I don't know if it's a gift or curse that I forget most of these people a couple of seasons later. But I remember train Becky. That was memorable.

• LOL 4
(edited)
On 6/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, peachmangosteen said:

And I just can't see why any former players would even want to do it now.

I could be mistaken, but I would think they'd be lining up for another chance at the mirror ball.  A million dollars.  A spouse I've never met.  A singing career.  I think I watch too much of this crapola.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Yes!  Eliminate the slop, and go with a standard pantry of peanut butter, jelly, bologna, processed cheese slices, iceberg lettuce, eggs, white bread, mayo, mustard, milk, and lemon juice (to avoid scurvy...).  You can do a lot with those staples: standard cold sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, French toast, toast, omelettes, eggs any way, fried bologna, strata, simple salad, bread pudding etc.  Then do grocery comps for ground beef, chocolate chips, coffee, salmon, wings, chips, pizza sauce etc. 

Slop was a thing, but now they don't show it, and they've allowed so much cheating it isn't anything at all anymore.  Put everyone on a standard diet, and make them work for more.  That's where you're going to see shifting alliances--someone craving a Snickers bar can be peeled off an alliance if the one side isn't inclined to work for it, but the other side is, and you want that damned candy bar more than you want to suck up to Paul.  That is going to get some movement.

Except booze.  Cheap beer and wine should be a staple, released in the evenings for social lubrication. 

Then BIG competitions for Margarita night with take out tacos, or mai tais with kalua pork, or...champagne brunch.  I hate the over-the-top comps for game shit like HoH or Veto where the majority alliance conspires to rule.  A food comp, on the other hand, forces them to work together.  That leads to different house dynamics.

You've given this a lot of thought!  Good job!  I remember in the earliest of seasons when they had to compete for ALL of their food and it was delicious to watch.  Sometimes they got totally shafted, and other times they did really well for themselves.  They needed a lot more strategy then to vie for something specific.  And they all worked toward a common goal.  And forget the slop and PB&J.  

My favorite parts of BB is watching them work in the kitchen.  Some are so conscientious about hygiene and others are gross.  I couldn't live in that house because of the non-hand-washing alone.  

Also, there's been some discussion about the crew having to quarantine for the duration of the show and that might be a deterrent to filming.  Not necessarily.  They could have 2-3 different crews and each team could work a month or so-ish.  Might work, might not, but it's something.

I really, really hope it returns in some form or fashion.  Summer just isn't summer without BB and this summer is so fucked anyway, that I absolutely need it.  I don't get the live feeds but I faithfully watch BBAD and that's the best part of the whole series.

Here's hoping we're all back together (from afar, of course) very soon!  Everybody stay safe.

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

California is re-closing so I'm guessing there won't be any BB this summer.

Yeah, I think the closure makes it really hard to justify producing this show. Such a bummer, but probably for the best. Everything is such a hot mess right now.

I also took the quiz, and got Janelle, which I can live with. I love the competition beasts! I live vicariously through all the competition shows - the Challenge, America Ninja Warrior (also defeated by Covid this year). Sigh.

Good to see all the familiar names in this thread though!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I got Jodi, which feels right lol.

I also got Jodi which no. So I retook it and purposely changed some of the answers and got... Jodi. 

I'm thinking the ball pit for the bathroom floor is where I'm going wrong but BALL PIT IN THE BATHROOM. Clearly I'm still not over them removing the sandbox bathroom just before the season started. 

• LOL 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Janelle here.  We sure there are any other options?  😉

ETA:

Retook it.

Changed every answer.

Got Jodi. 😆

ETA#2:

Total Redux - the Sequel.

Changed every answer again, different from the first two runs.

Got Janelle again.  🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
(edited)

There are more than two options. 😁 I got Danielle, which is pretty on brand - I'm outstanding at talking shit about people behind their backs.

Edited by IndyMischa
Link didn't work. #techidiot
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Haleigh and Fess officially called it quits via twitter.

Whaaaaat? They were doing the squishy couple Instagram thing earlier today. Not that this is earth shattering news to anyone here, but: people are weird! 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Just the other day I randomly wondered why she was still with him because she seemed like she barely liked him during their season. Clearly, my witch powers acted up and made this happen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Nashville said:

Janelle here.  We sure there are any other options?  😉

ETA:

Retook it.

Changed every answer.

Got Jodi. 😆

ETA#2:

Total Redux - the Sequel.

Changed every answer again, different from the first two runs.

Got Janelle again.  🤣🤣🤣

I got Janelle as well.  She was one of my favorites.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, CrazyDog said:

America Ninja Warrior (also defeated by Covid this year). Sigh.

I'm also really disappointed about ANW. They were supposed to film in my city for the first time, and I was really looking forward to getting tickets to take my niece to see it. Ho-hum. Maybe next year.

But if you have Netflix, Ultimate Beastmaster could scratch your ANW itch. I stumbled upon it a couple weeks ago--29-43+ minute episodes total!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I'm also really disappointed about ANW. They were supposed to film in my city for the first time, and I was really looking forward to getting tickets to take my niece to see it. Ho-hum. Maybe next year.

But if you have Netflix, Ultimate Beastmaster could scratch your ANW itch. I stumbled upon it a couple weeks ago--29-43+ minute episodes total!

I looked it up, and yes, I'm definitely checking that out - thanks! I've never heard of it. 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:11 PM, Growsonwalls said:

Wonder if Fessy was tempted on The Challenge.

As to the news there will likely be no Big Brother this summer, I refer to the paraphrased words of the wise baseball player, Sean Doolittle:

"[Reality shows] are like the reward of a functional society."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

Wonder if Fessy was tempted on The Challenge.

Apparently he was liking pics of women's boobs and whatnot lol. I assume Haleigh finally realized Fessy just wants to be on reality tv and party for as long as he can while she wants to get a job.

'Big Brother' Season 22 Crew Will be in Quarantine Bubble Like Cast 

This is from TMZ, so enter at your own risk lol.

We're told the crew members will reside in RVs by the set -- otherwise known as the 'Big Brother' house -- but will be swapped out monthly.

Our sources say the system will work like this -- one month on for the crew, then 2 weeks off followed by 2 weeks in quarantine ... then back on. A typical 'BB' season lasts around 3 months.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

What?! Okay, answer me this: who's going to get food for the contestants? And the crew? How will they have no contact with the outside world? Since the contestants can't be masked, are they crossing their fingers that nobody in the crew breaks quarantine? Or the cast? And how will quarantine breaks be dealt with? Slap on the wrist? Cross your fingers and hope for the best?

It's like ......... they do know the latest science on this is that poorly ventilated indoor spaces with lots of close contact and no masks is ideal breeding ground for this virus? And all it takes is one person to break quarantine (cast or crew) and then enter that poorly ventilated indoor space. Will the cast and crew get COVID tests every few days? While regular people continue to wait more than a week?!

I can't. I hope the governor shuts it down, I'm sorry. Filming now in the middle of a raging pandemic is a slap in the face to public health.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 5

I really did not expect them to really do it lol. Obviously, I figured they really wanted to. There is going to be nothing on TV for the rest of this year honestly. But yea ,like Frankie said a month ago before it got even worse, it is irresponsible.

But, some soaps are filming now. And The Bachlorette is starting soon. I believe the contestants are already quarantining at some resort in California.

5 hours ago, Eolivet said:

What?! Okay, answer me this: who's going to get food for the contestants? And the crew? How will they have no contact with the outside world? Since the contestants can't be masked, are they crossing their fingers that nobody in the crew breaks quarantine? Or the cast? And how will quarantine breaks be dealt with? Slap on the wrist? Cross your fingers and hope for the best?

It's like ......... they do know the latest science on this is that poorly ventilated indoor spaces with lots of close contact and no masks is ideal breeding ground for this virus? And all it takes is one person to break quarantine (cast or crew) and then enter that poorly ventilated indoor space. Will the cast and crew get COVID tests every few days? While regular people continue to wait more than a week?!

I can't. I hope the governor shuts it down, I'm sorry. Filming now in the middle of a raging pandemic is a slap in the face to public health.

So, there's this novel thing many companies are doing now where you order what you need online and they have employees who load a truck with your order then they drive the order to you and drop it off...  I think they're calling it "delivery service."  That's really only necessary for fresh food like dairy and fresh produce.  Everything else can be ordered in bulk or frozen and stored on the lot.  

The cast aren't going to break quarantine since BB is a self-contained environment by its very nature.  The crew might be tougher to control but for a job opportunity like this with, I'd be able to handle 6 weeks of isolation, especially if they were willing to pay for my food and internet.  It's not like they can't receive mail or bring some books/hobby supplies with them for their time off.  

If you treat the BB part of the CBS lot like an island unto itself, there isn't any reason to believe they can't be COVID-free.  If no one has the virus when they go in then the only issues with the poorly ventilated indoor spaces are the same ones we see every summer.  Why would they need tests if they are tested before they go in, they quarantine and are still negative when they enter the house or the lot? 

I'll be thrilled if they can pull this off. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I don't know much about how the behind the scenes work, but given that Hollywood has mostly shutdown, I'd be concerned. It's not just the staff delivering food and supplies in the house (I'm sure they'll eliminate most contact with the HGs and mask up when they have to enter the house / do they the DRs in person?) but also the planning, the crew who has to edit the shows, and whatever other tasks have to be done by a joint team behind the cameras. 

However it works for BB, I've read other shows halted production (even doing post prod work) because it was too difficult. There's a long article in the LA Times about how hard it is to figure out cleaning, safety protocols, etc.

As much as I want something new to watch, and I'm sure there are crewmembers who would appreciate a paycheck, is it worth the risk? I'm guessing not. 

I'm assuming  the HGs would have to sign away liability as well.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Some member of Survivor's production team, William Yelton, posted on Instagram that he started a job as story producer for BB today and quickly deleted it. He's probably fired now lol.

Or it's just fake to make people believe there will be a season and talk about it until there won't, which was the plan from the beginning.

12 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Okay, answer me this: who's going to get food for the contestants? And the crew? How will they have no contact with the outside world?

Well all people in the world who are in quarantine get their food somehow, mostly by delivery. If a delivery person come to the door with a mask and leaves the groceries outside the door and people from the crew or the players pick them up, there won't be a problem.

10 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

... but also the planning, the crew who has to edit the shows, and whatever other tasks have to be done by a joint team behind the cameras. 

I assume the editing crew could work from home. Julie would almost certainly just do the hosting/exit interviews from home. They'll have the food delivered. I mean, it can obviously be done, it's just gonna be a lot more work and there are still risks that just seem unnecessary to take just to get a show on during a pandemic imo.

3 hours ago, himela said:

Or it's just fake to make people believe there will be a season and talk about it until there won't, which was the plan from the beginning.

Sure, it could all be a huge conspiracy from CBS. Seems like a lot of work for little payoff but I don't know how they do business!

To me there's no doubt they're working to get the show on the air this summer/fall. Whether or not they succeed in doing it, I don't know. But again, there are other things in production right now.

• Love 1

I thought I had read about some other shows that were cut off midseasons that they were finding it difficult to do all the editing and post-production stuff remotely, or however they were trying to do it in this covid world. But that was a awhile ago, and it sounds like Hollywood is doing their own trial and error to get back to work.

Is it a good idea? Is it necessary? No. Will I watch if they do? Lol, yes. Same with baseball starting next week, even though some players have opted out saying they think it's too risky.

I iust hope everyone stays safe. I don't need to see BB: Covid Edition playing out on live feeds.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

I thought I had read about some other shows that were cut off midseasons that they were finding it difficult to do all the editing and post-production stuff remotely, or however they were trying to do it in this covid world. But that was a awhile ago, and it sounds like Hollywood is doing their own trial and error to get back to work.

Is it a good idea? Is it necessary? No. Will I watch if they do? Lol, yes. Same with baseball starting next week, even though some players have opted out saying they think it's too risky.

I iust hope everyone stays safe. I don't need to see BB: Covid Edition playing out on live feeds.

The Walking Dead's season finale was unable to air back in April because the post-production on that one episode was not finished and they were not prepared to handle it remotely.  Now, months later, they're finishing it up.   Many movies are being filmed in Canada and in other states outside of California right now, and some California productions are happening soon.  TV series are filming in Georgia.  All the VFX work and post-production on Season 2 of The Mandalorian -- which is extensive --  is being done remotely because Lucasfilm and ILM hooked people up with the right equipment.   

I think I said it before in a previous post, but there are at least 36 pages of Guidelines that everyone has to follow in order to make TV shows and movies now.  There are 2-week quarantines wherever it is required.  People are wearing masks and face shields.  The number of people allowed on sets at one time has been reduced.  Film productions are cutting back on background extras.  Actors are self-isolating when they're not filming.  Temperatures are being taken.  COVID-19 tests are being taken.

In other words, people are finding ways to work.  It's very doable as long as the Big Brother people skip the super-elaborate competitions this time around (which would require lots of people on set at one time), and take a more toned-down approach.  The house guests would be tested before going into the house, and probably while in the house too.  They'll stay distant in the Diary Room.  CBS would not be held liable if the HGs willingly signed on to do the show, knowing there could be risks.  I'm sure there are doctors and nurses on staff too.

And also, it would be a shorter season, requiring people to be in the house and on set for less time.

Whether or not CBS actually will go forward with BB this year is another question.   They might decide to just skip it at this point, and then come back in 2021.  They might be testing potential HGs who are turning up as positive for COVID-19, requiring more time to find replacements.   Clearly the season is not starting in a week or two, or I'm sure we would have heard the official word by now.   To me, it seems like they should just wait until September.  September is when at least a few other TV series are going back into production in California and other places.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

It's very doable as long as the Big Brother people skip the super-elaborate competitions this time around (which would require lots of people on set at one time), and take a more toned-down approach.  

Man, maybe if they do end up doing it we'll get the return of Pressure Cooker!

1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

To me, it seems like they should just wait until September.

I think that's probably what will end up happening.

5 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

If BB22 does happen will more people tune in to watch the show/feeds?

I'd say it's certainly possible, especially if they can get it going late summer/early fall when there will almost certainly be nothing else new airing.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think that's probably what will end up happening.

Remember when we were discussing a few weeks ago about how BB generally tried to not run into late September because of the conflict with football season? Since it looks like football season may not happen this year, this may be a unique fall prime-time opportunity for BB - especially considering how many more butts are likely to be parked on their sofas on evenings instead of going out.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

What makes you think there will be no virus in September? In the contrary, the virus will be stronger as the temperature falls. The summer was the ideal period to do the season. As time goes by, things will only get worse. In our country doctors are sure that there will be a second wave of the virus in September.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, himela said:

What makes you think there will be no virus in September? In the contrary, the virus will be stronger as the temperature falls. The summer was the ideal period to do the season. As time goes by, things will only get worse. In our country doctors are sure that there will be a second wave of the virus in September.

Hmm... I don't recall saying there would be no virus in September.   Interesting.  I suppose I could have said something similar in an earlier post IF, at that point, it was still appearing that the virus would calm down a bit by the Fall.  But I don't know if I actually said there would be no virus in September.  Things seem to change on a weekly basis with the virus.  In the comment you quoted I said I think they should wait until September to do the show -- meaning IF they are going to do it at all this year (which they may not do) -- after they've had time to go over all 36+ pages of new guidelines, implemented new procedures, gotten everyone tested more than once and figured out how to coordinate everything.  But CBS might decide to skip this year.  Who knows?

If everyone is tested multiple times and does not have the virus -- that includes cast and crew -- then why not put them in a house together if the HGs willingly sign up to do it?  The crew can be isolated somewhere together, just as the cast would be.  If no one has the virus and they are not out gallivanting around on the streets of Los Angeles, being exposed to other people who do have it, then why not do the show? 

I'm not getting into a whole separate virus discussion here because this is a Big Brother thread.  But people have to do for themselves what they need to do, as long as they follow rules set forth by their local governments.  If certain businesses are allowed to resume operations -- including TV productions -- they have the right to do that.   One thing is for sure -- no one can afford to just leisurely wait around at home until a vaccine comes along, with no revenue coming in.  People will find a way to work and to operate businesses because they need to do things like keep roofs over their heads, take care of their families and eat food. 

Also, in Los Angeles, the temperature usually does not drop very much in September.  In fact, some Septembers are much hotter than August or July.  I recall one September when it was something absurd like 110-118 degrees (depending on which area of the county one was in).  October can be hot too.  Of course it can differ from year to year, but we often don't see a significant cool-down until maybe late November or December.  Sometimes February is colder than any other month.   I don't think anyone here has to worry about sudden temperature drops in September being the cause of COVID-19 getting worse in Los Angeles, especially if everyone involved with the show is isolated somewhere when not on the set.  In January or February, it might be a different story, though.  It's the irresponsible people in L.A. who are more likely to make the situation worse.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Hmm... I don't recall saying there would be no virus in September.  

Then why would they choose to skip the season in the summer but do it in September instead? What will have changed in September?

(edited)
38 minutes ago, himela said:

Then why would they choose to skip the season in the summer but do it in September instead? What will have changed in September?

I already said it above -- "after they've had time to go over all 36+ pages of new guidelines, implemented new procedures, gotten everyone tested more than once and figured out how to coordinate everything."

(It is taking various unions, studios, production companies, networks, etc., more time and effort to set up new systems for people to safely work on sets -- hence, the reason some of them are resuming work or hoping to start up again in September, if all goes well.)

And I also said "They might be testing potential HGs who are turning up as positive for COVID-19, requiring more time to find replacements."

In other words, I said everything I need to say.  I'm not repeating myself.

Edited by TVFan17
56 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I already said it above -- "after they've had time to go over all 36+ pages of new guidelines, implemented new procedures, gotten everyone tested more than once and figured out how to coordinate everything."

(It is taking various unions, studios, production companies, networks, etc., more time and effort to set up new systems for people to safely work on sets -- hence, the reason some of them are resuming work or hoping to start up again in September, if all goes well.)

And I also said "They might be testing potential HGs who are turning up as positive for COVID-19, requiring more time to find replacements."

In other words, I said everything I need to say.  I'm not repeating myself.

The lookdowns for covid-19 have started since March 2020 so I think they have had plenty of time to prepare everything that you're talking about. They saw that Big brother Canada stopped and they had all the information to do whatever was required to start the season so I see no reason to not start in July or August and start in September.

My opinion has always been that they had no intention to do the season but they didn't want to admit it because they want the fans to speculate and hope until they finally announce the season is canceled.

I'm sure all the networks want something to be able to air so they can make money, which is what they care about. I personally have no doubt they are trying to get BB up and running. That seems blatantly obvious based on all the info coming out. It's just a matter of if they're actually able to make everything work. Survivor obviously wasn't able to but some soaps and The Bachelorette were (to an extent).

• Love 3

CBS has nothing in production that can fill the time BB could.  A later start for BB gives them decent filled hours in the heart of the Fall season, which has more HUT (Homes Using Television).  

It also allows for the current Covid spike to settle.   

• Love 1