Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

I'm another one who's never heard of Johnny Bananas. But wasn't there a guy last year on CBB who was some kind of singer/Internet personality who everyone dreaded and who actually turned out to be quite fun? I'm totally blanking on his name. 

36 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I'm another one who's never heard of Johnny Bananas. But wasn't there a guy last year on CBB who was some kind of singer/Internet personality who everyone dreaded and who actually turned out to be quite fun? I'm totally blanking on his name. 

James Maslow. I remember that I was expecting him to be a big douchebag....which he was, to be fair. James had a massive ego, but he also didn't take things seriously and was pretty decent at the game, which changed my opinion. But I also kind of chilled out about Brandi at some point after not liking her much. I think that Big Brother is good at changing initial impressions about someone once the stress of the game comes out. I've changed my mind about contestants even on the regular BB seasons (BB20's Sam and Brett, for example). So that's why I try to give these houseguests the benefit of the doubt, even the celebrities. Although with Omarosa, I don't think much could have changed my mind about her. 

• Love 5

Johnny could be pretty fun on BB... the issue with him on The Challenge is he has a big crew of lemurs who do his bidding for him each season.  I'd be interested to see him in a brand new pond without any followers.  Might be entertaining to watch him sink (or swim, even.)

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Id be interested to see him in a brand new pond without any followers.

Maybe this is why even celebs we expect to hate can be interesting to watch and even likeable on these shows. (Although not always.) They're surrounded by people who are as famous or perhaps more famous than them, in a weird environment that takes them way out of their comfort zone. It can really humanize some of them. Also, it's 24/7 so they can't always project a fake persona. 

Also, famous people presumably love attention, or they wouldn't be celebrities, but they can't all be monsters, especially when they're just starting out. There must be something charismatic and entertaining about them, or they wouldn't have become even D list celebrities. (This might not apply to athletes who are famous mainly for their physical talents.) 

I'm actually pumped for the new Celebrity Psychology class (a/k/a CBB2) to begin, mainly because we get to come here every day to discuss all the specimens. I mean houseguests. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I had to Google half of that list.

Me too. I found this:

Johnny “Bananas” Devenanzio (The Challenge, First Look),

Eva Marie (Former WWE superstar)

Aubrey O’Day (singer)

Calvin Johnson (former NFL player)

Carson Kressley (Queer Eye alum)

Dina Lohan (Lindsay Lohan’s mother)

Jonathan Bennett (Mean Girls actor)

Sean Spicer (former White House press secretary)

Stephen Baldwin (The Usual Suspects actor)

Tiffany Pollard (Flavor of Love, I Love New York) 

Tonya Harding (former Olympian)

• Love 1

Aubrey O'Day, Carson Kressley and Stephen Baldwin were all on Celebrity Apprentice (didn't O'Day allegedly have an affair with Trump Jr.?) -- along with obviously Spicer and his Trump connection -- so that'd be interesting if they're all on this cast.

Jonathan Bennett is having a moment with Ariana Grande's "thank u next" video. I could see him doing this.

Isn't Johnny Bananas the host of a NBC show? I thought that kind of cross-network appearance was verboten (though it would answer the question of how soon MTV people are allowed to appear on CBS when not appearing on MTV, which I've been wondering about lately)

• Love 1
On 1/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, Skycatcher said:

Thanks, Peaches*.  My only reason to watch is to get together here with the old gang. I have such a good time snarking with y'all.

*Even tho I think you're just Peachy - one of my faves on this board - I tagged you as Peaches instead of Peachy 'cause I didn't want to confuse you with JP on Survivor. 😙😉

Ah "Peaches" might be out since that was what Trump recently kind of suggested he could re-name his fantasy "wall" as basically.

I don't know anyone on the list except Tonya Harding.  I totally forgot who Spicer was until he was ID'ed here and no I don't imagine in a million years he would be on the show.  As much as he became a stumbling buffoon to most people he had a serious insider career going on before Trump.  Per Wikipedia:  "Spicer was communications director of the Republican National Committee from 2011 to 2017, and its chief strategist from 2015 to 2017."  I can't see him losing any more face going on BB.  You would think he is trying to climb out of the pit, not stay down there.

They just showed everyone on a commercial during the football game.  

Kato Kaelin (professional hanger on)

Ricky Williams (NFL)

Jonathan Bennett (reality competition host)

Lolo Jones (Olympic track and field)

Joey Lawrence (actor)

Dina Lohan (stage mother)

Tamar Braxton (singer)

Tom Green (actor)

Kandi Burruss (?)

Eva Marie (WWE)

Ryan Lochte (Olympic swimmer)

Anthony Scaramucci (fuck that guy)

I’m excited for Ryan, I can’t lie.  

Edited by mojoween

What an...interesting list? What is interesting is that there are absolutely no 20 year olds, and the youngest person are Ryan and Eva Marie, both 34. 

Not a bad list. I, at least, recognize a few of the names. Once again, don't really know most of the women, besides Dina Lohan only for her being related to Lindsay. I'm most excited for Jonathan Bennett. Although....7 men and 5 women? I'm guessing the rumours of someone backing out are true, as I'd assume they would have wanted it even.

• Love 3

I can't lie. There isn't a single person who I can say about, "Oh! I like them!" Either I've never heard of them, or I have bad associations with them. 

Open mind! Open mind! (That's me talking to me.)

For some reason I have a prejudice against athletes. Maybe because I was hopeless at sports and got teased by the athletic students a fair bit. I generally find them scarily disciplined and don't get their humour. Hopefully, these ones will prove me wrong. 

• Love 2

I've always liked Ryan Lochte - not the brightest bulb in the chandelier for sure, but has never seemed mean or malicious. I liked Kato Kaelin too, and I'll be interested to see how he's changed over the years. I would have given my left arm and coughed up for feeds if Tiffany NY Pollard was on, but I'll take what I can get - no Omarosa!

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If I'm remembering correctly Lolo was on a season of The Challenge and was hilariously terrible.  Not competition-wise, but her grating personality.

She was insufferable.  I hate that she is a houseguest.  I'm neutral on the others.  

Can't wait! Let's go! 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

I've always liked Ryan Lochte - not the brightest bulb in the chandelier for sure, but has never seemed mean or malicious. I liked Kato Kaelin too, and I'll be interested to see how he's changed over the years. I would have given my left arm and coughed up for feeds if Tiffany NY Pollard was on, but I'll take what I can get - no Omarosa!

A decade ago, if you gave me the choice between Lochte and Michael Phelps, I would have picked Lochte. Nowadays? Not really sure but he should be able to bring the drama. Or he'll be dull as dirt. 

I don't know who Kato is and had to look him up to even know why he's famous. For me, just looking at his picture, he looks like someone who will grate on my nerves AND who will get to the end. I'm hoping I'm wrong on my first assumption. 

Scaramucci is someone who I really don't know much about. I'm not an American and hate politics so I only get my politics news from my dad. I only know of his name and that's about it. I don't really see how he'll fit in with the other celebrities.

• Love 1

I wondered why there had been no reports or rumors of any of the Real Housewives being on the show.   And now there IS one (Kandi)!    The Housewives are easy choices for reality show casts.

Jonathan (who I just recently watched in a Hallmark movie called Christmas Made to Order) is excited --

• Love 2

I always wonder how high-energy, giant personalities like Anthony S. will fare when trapped in the BB house with so many other big personalities. The train wreck potential seems enormous. 

Then again, Omorosa did very well last season. She actually behaved quite normally and the whole house got along relatively harmoniously. Man, people are unpredictable. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Melina22 said:

I always wonder how high-energy, giant personalities like Anthony S. will fare when trapped in the BB house with so many other big personalities. The train wreck potential seems enormous. 

Then again, Omorosa did very well last season. She actually behaved quite normally and the whole house got along relatively harmoniously. Man, people are unpredictable. 

The Trump administration people are weird casting choices to me.  Omarosa had more notoriety because of her previous reality shows, but Scaramucci is an odd choice.  I’ll bet he’s going to be super low-key.   And frankly, why would he do it?  I mean, does he, as a Serious Person, know he’ll be dressed in a hot dog suit getting squirted with mustard while trying to jump into a swinging bun?  That’s a job for Keto Kaelin

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, TOL said:

The Trump administration people are weird casting choices to me.  Omarosa had more notoriety because of her previous reality shows, but Scaramucci is an odd choice.  I’ll bet he’s going to be super low-key.   And frankly, why would he do it?  I mean, does he, as a Serious Person, know he’ll be dressed in a hot dog suit getting squirted with mustard while trying to jump into a swinging bun?  That’s a job for Keto Kaelin

Mooch is NOT a serious person just a wannabe fast talking NY "fixer" type who never could "fix" anything and who got fired a week into his job at the White House.  And given his performance there he will be 10 times louder than anyone else on the show.  He was the only one I had heard of too.  (I saw him on MSNBC or CNN in the last week or so so he has been making the cable news talking heads yakkity-yak rounds of late).

Well except for Ricky Williams but NFL running backs tend to run together for me so I googled him to jar my memory.  Most time with the Dolphins where he was busted back in the day for pot.  Took off for awhile on a self-realization quest.  Is an investor in a new "Freedom Football League" that about 50 former NFL players have invested in.  Ricky seems to be a major spokesperson for the group.  More from wikipedia:

Williams is a medical cannabis advocate. He once stated his "personal goal is to elevate the legitimacy of cannabis as a medicine and the respect of medical professionals for cannabis users."

Williams has admitted being very shy and was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, borderline personality disorder, and avoidance disorder with which he struggled to cope during his football career.  Williams was treated with therapy and medication. Williams was briefly a spokesperson for the drug Paxil as treatment. He worked with the drug company GlaxoSmithKline to educate the public about the disorder.  Williams later quit using Paxil and said that cannabis was a much better form of treatment.

Williams is a qualified yoga instructor. He has stated that one of his main reasons for joining the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts was for the opportunity to teach free yoga lessons at a local Toronto yoga facility. It has been reported that Williams uses pranic healing, no-touch energy healing system, to recover from injuries.  In 2009, Williams enrolled at Acupuncture and Massage College in Miami, Florida to study massage therapy and Japanese Shiatsu.  In 2018, Williams co-founded an herbal wellness company with his wife Linnea Miron named Real Wellness.

The son of a minister, Williams was raised Southern Baptist and attended church twice a week during his childhood. He still self-identifies as a Christian, but his yoga study opened his mind to other religions, and his exact views on religion are difficult to label. He believes religions are cultural, and his beliefs are inclusive of at least some Christian, Islam, Buddhist, and Hindu philosophies.  Williams is in the first year of a doctoral program at Emperor's College of Traditional Oriental Medicine in Santa Monica, CA.

In 2015, Williams signed with global talent agency William Morris Endeavor (WME) for representation in media prior to being inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Yeah that part I bolded says he will do really great on BB ... cough.  And just your typical guy married to someone named Real Wellness, heh.

All the others I never heard of before in my life and they don't seem worth googling at all.  Maybe the Olympic swimmer since they actually have done something really hard in life but nay I'm not into aquatic sports.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

For me, just looking at [Kato's] picture, he looks like someone who will grate on my nerves AND who will get to the end.

Yea, I could see Kato getting to the end, too.

I know of all but 2 of them (the football player and the wrestler), which is on par with last season when I knew all but Ari and Metta. 

Lolo was the worst in the best way on The Challenge, so I'm excited for that. And of course I'm excited for Ryan. I loved his short lived reality show lol. Anthony could go either way. I mean I'm sure I'll hate him, but it could be fun to hate him.

I have a friend who's really into wrestling so I asked her about Eva. She said she's a bad actress lol. Hoepfully she's bad in a fun way in the DR.

Honestly, I just hope this season is drama filled. I did really enjoy last season even though it was very low-key and relaxed, but I want some fights and drama this time, dammit! 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I could see Kato getting to the end, too.

I know of all but 2 of them (the football player, the wrestler), which is on par with last season when I knew all but Ari and Metta. 

Lolo was the worst in the best way on The Challenge, so I'm excited for that. And of course I'm excited for Ryan. I loved his short lived reality show lol. Anthony could go either way. I mean I'm sure I'll hate him, but it could be fun to hate him.

I have a friend who's really into wrestling so I asked her about Ava. She said she's a bad actress lol. Hoepfully she's bad in a fun way in the DR.

Honestly, I just hope this season is drama filled. I did really enjoy last season even though it was very low-key and relaxed, but I want some fights and drama this time, dammit! 

There was some drama last year (Brandi caused some of it;  Omarosa was involved in some of it;  Shannon was at the center of some of it;  James was involved in some of it), and Brandi was also involved in various shenanigans, such as revealing some of her famous sexual conquests for us all to hear, and humping vegetables.    And we had Metta trying to escape the house every other day.  I don't know if I'd call it "low-key"!  lol

But the Celebrity season just isn't long enough to inspire more intense drama, I suspect (unless Production helps it along, which is possible).   The celebrities are more conscious of how they come across on camera in a mini-season like this.   In a three-month season, sure, more of them would snap more often... but not in a season that is 2 or 3 weeks long.    Plus, last year we had Ari trying to keep Brandi in line, and Mark trying to keep James in line, so nothing was out of control for too long, even when arguments or verbal sparring broke out.  This year, we don't know who might be the voices of reason trying to keep their alliances intact and sane.

I'm actually shocked that we got as much drama as we did last year, given how short the season was and the fact that they were "celebrities."   

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

There was some drama last year (Brandi caused some of it;  Omarosa was involved in some of it;  Shannon was at the center of some of it;  James was involved in some of it), and Brandi was also involved in various shenanigans, such as revealing some of her famous sexual conquests for us all to hear, and humping vegetables.    And we had Metta trying to escape the house every other day.  I don't know if I'd call it "low-key"!  lol

That's low-key as hell to me. 

In general, BB hasn't had much good, fun drama in awhile and honestly probably never will again. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

That's low-key as hell to me. 

In general, BB hasn't had much good, fun drama in awhile and honestly probably never will again. 

For me, season 1 of CBB was more dramatic than I thought possible. Brandi vs James, Metta trying to leave every other day (although that got irritating as well), Omarosa vs Brandi at a couple of points and Shannon's overplaying was way more than I thought a short four week season could ever provide, so my low expectations are raised because of it. Which means that this season may hit its sophomore slump. I'm not convinced it's going to be hella dramatic without production rigging it. Some of these celebs seem like they could bring the drama and then there are others who I think "What possible drama could you bring to this show?" 

For example, I hear thing about Lolo and how she'll bring the drama. I don't really know about the other women, such as Dina. I know she's a Lohan but she's clearly there for the money and might not want to do anything to jeopardize whatever she can bring in to get to the end, but we'll see. Kandi's a Real Housewife so she'll probably be fighting with the other women. 

But the men? Tom's crazy but I can also see him chilling out in the house. I don't know much about the other men. I don't imagine Anthony bringing any sort of drama. Jonathan seems like a nice guy but not dramatic enough; he'll be busy strategizing as a fan of the show. No idea about Joey Lawrence and what he'll bring.

So I have hopes for the women this season to bring some kind of excitement, but the men are more questionable until I start seeing the interviews come out. 

• Love 3

Wow, Kandi is a really random choice for the Real Housewives slot. She doesn't have a loud, dramatic personality like a Nene or a Ramona, nor is she cunning and manipulative like a Tamra or Vanderpump. Can you tell I watch too much Housewives? What Kandi is, though, is a savvy businesswoman, so I wouldn't be surprised if she brings her sex toys and makes sure all the women talk it up. Besides that, I can see Big Brother frustratingly chiding her to "please stop singing!" every 5 minutes. Although, she writes most of her own stuff so maybe she'll waive her fee if they let her sing unreservedly. 

Joey and Dina have both filed for bankruptcy so it's no surprise either is doing this show. Lolo is a pain in the ass but she has a competitive spirit like no other so I'd rather see that than some lay-abouts who just sit around waiting for their check. Ryan fills the cute, athletic himbo slot that Big Brother invariably casts in their regular seasons (e.g. Corey (S18), Clay (S17), Faysal (S20)). Oh wow, Tom Green?! I haven't thought of him since 1999. Is he still gross? Tamar Braxton is so frickin' extra, she'll bring the heat! Hopefully, she doesn't flame out spectacularly in the first week. I guess Jonathan Bennett is there to fill the gay slot but what about Lance Bass? He loves Big Brother!

I don't know the rest.

Edited by UniqBlue69
  • Love 3

Jonathan seems like a nice guy but not dramatic enough; he'll be busy strategizing as a fan of the show.

Glad to hear there's a fan. I did love that they had several actual fans last season.

The first season was so much better than I expected so that has me excited, but 4 of the last 5 regular seasons have just sucked so much so I kinda just expect the show to suck now.

1 hour ago, UniqBlue69 said:

Wow, Kandi is a really random choice for the Real Housewives slot. She doesn't have a loud, dramatic personality like a Nene or a Ramona, nor is she cunning and manipulative like a Tamra or Vanderpump. Can you tell I watch too much Housewives? What Kandi is, though, is a savvy businesswoman, so I wouldn't be surprised if she brings her sex toys and makes sure all the women talk it up. Besides that, I can see Big Brother frustratingly chiding her to "please stop singing!" every 5 minutes. Although, she writes most of her own stuff so maybe she'll waive her fee if they let her sing unreservedly. 

Joey and Dina have both filed for bankruptcy so it's no surprise either is doing this show. Lolo is a pain in the ass but she has a competitive spirit like no other so I'd rather see that than some lay-abouts who just sit around waiting for their check. Ryan fills the cute, athletic himbo slot that Big Brother invariably casts in their regular seasons (e.g. Corey (S18), Clay (S17), Faysal (S20)). Oh wow, Tom Green?! I haven't thought of him since 1999. Is he still gross? Tamar Braxton is so frickin' extra, she'll bring the heat! Hopefully, she doesn't flame out spectacularly in the first week. I guess Jonathan Bennett is there to fill the gay slot but what about Lance Bass? He loves Big Brother!

I don't know the rest.

I am shocked Kandi is going to be on!!  She is so classy and calm.  She is my favorite Housewife out of the all of the ones I watch/watched ATL, NYC, NJ, OC, BH, DC and MIA.  She probably will advertise her toy business.  I would rather see OLG!  They are slayers!  Can you imagine Ramona on CBB???  That would be pure hell on earth for everyone.  The only one who would be worse is Vicki.  I can picture Sonja doing quite well, though.  Tamara too.  Tamar Braxton will bring some heat for sure.  I really like her though.  I hope she and Kandi sing a lot!     

• Love 2

Dina's voice has gotten so much raspier and huskier than it was the last time I heard her speak (I watched the promo for Big Brother today, and was surprised at how much it had changed in the last few years).    For some reason, I picture her as getting on people's nerves.    I can't envision who she might team up with in the house, and who she might clash with, but I don't see her as someone who is going to be well-liked by everyone. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

If I'm remembering correctly Lolo was on a season of The Challenge and was hilariously terrible.  Not competition-wise, but her grating personality.

If I am remembering correctly, the same can be said of her stint on DWTS.  Humorless would be the most gracious way to describe her in that outing.  Speaking of which, seems like there are a lot of DWTS alum on the list, Lolo, Ryan, Tamar and Joey for sure.  Clearly they all seem fond of getting on tv any way they can.

Edited by leocadia
  • Love 3

Heh, I probably know more about Ricky Williams than anyone else this season. He was a huge star college running back at Texas - broke the record (at the time) for most rushing yards in college. Mike Ditka was coach for New Orleans and famously gave up pretty much all his draft picks that year to move up in the draft to pick him. There was a pretty infamous Sports Illustrated cover of the two of them, where Ricky is in a wedding dress (with Ditka as the groom). Anyway, weed was always a thing with him, and he quit football because he didn’t want to give it up, then made a comeback but it never really took.  Long story shot,  he’s always seemed like a weird, but interesting dude. As much as I LOATHE the Univerity of Texas, I’m rooting for him, the sports geek that I am.

Also big time rooting for Kandi, while wondering wtf she’s doing on this show. I actually didn’t like last season at ALL, so I’m hoping this go round is better. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, leocadia said:

If I am remembering correctly, the same can be said of her stint on DWTS.  Humorless would be the most gracious way to describe her in that outing.  Speaking of which, seems like there are a lot of DWTS alum on the list, Lolo, Ryan, Tamar and Joey for sure.  Clearly they all seem fond of getting on tv any way they can.

Yes, humorless is a great description. She was not fun to watch at all. She'll probably annoy the hell out of everyone but she'll win and keep herself around.

I do like Jonathan, mainly from his shows on Food Network (I think I just clued in a couple of years ago that was the guy in Mean Girls, lol) but he seems relatively normal so he'll either go first or all the way to the end. I like drama but I have to have someone to root for too. 

I'm not sure Ryan will understand anything going on, so I suppose that could be vaguely entertaining.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

I'm not sure Ryan will understand anything going on, so I suppose that could be vaguely entertaining.

Ryan's actually grown up quite a bit and become a lot more self-aware since becoming a father. I think he may surprise you.

I was going to sit this one out (I haven't watched BBUS in years because I got sick of all the favoritism for people I couldn't stand), but if Scaramucci is part of this?  THIS I have to see!

• Love 3

A taste of Lolo on The Challenge:

I think she could be great feeds. I hope she doesn't disappoint.

I'll be the lone person so far and say I hate Kandi. Granted, I've only seen maybe like 10 full eps of RHOA, but still. I also hate Joey Lawrence for some reason I can't remember, and it might be irrational, but I think he could be fun. Or he could be deeply boring. 

I guess 'could be fun or deeply boring' describes pretty much everyone in this cast though. 

• Love 3

I am pretty happy with this list. I think the only ones I am not familiar with are the NFL guy and WWE lady.  Kandi is pretty shocking to me.... so I'm interested to see how she does confined to a stinky house. 

I didn't even recognize Ryan and I'm ready for Tom Green to just be weird. 

I was considering not getting the feeds but now I will!

• Love 1

The only members of the roster for which I have any true name recognition:

• Kato Kaelin - unfortunately,
  • Ricky Williams - solely because a dozen or so years ago he bailed on a multi-million-dollar NFL contract because he wanted to smoke pot.  Now, don’t get me wrong; I have zero problems with pot in pretty much any form - but I can’t see how someone could pull something like that and NOT spend the rest of their life looking at every Zip-Lock full of herbal goodness without thinking, “Man, now THAT baggie cost me about a million bucks....”
  • Dina Lohan - well, half-a-name recognition in this case, but I ain’t getting good vibes.
  • Anthony Scaramucci - the closest I can find to anything approaching a semi-positive quality in this individual is his unapologetic attitude towards his own unique brand of absolute  amorality.  The Mooch may be a valueless twit with no redeeming human qualities whatsoever, but he has zero problems with owning it.
  • Love 11

So....no Sean Spicer or Kaitlyn Jenner as was rumored for a while....  Thankfully!

I wasn't ready to watch Spicer be himself....nor was I ready to see what was under ALL that makeup that Jenner wears.

Now....based on last year's CBB, how many of THESE players have children that they're going to miss to the point of tears and begging to be let out...? 

• Love 2