Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CrazyDog said:

Having never watched BB Canada, I had to look up when they film...so its a Winter/Spring show? Do they have any kind of big outdoor space?

The BB Canada house is gigantic. It has a moderate sized outdoor space. More an outdoor deck/hot tub. It's funny to watch them out there smoking in parkas with snow falling on them. 😁

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mikewho said:

So they don't need a house, or an apartment, or a tent? They just want to build themselves and enjoy life. I guess they'll be living in the woods near a creek. 'Building themselves'.

Or maybe they will live in a van down by the river.

2FDE6673-DDF7-476C-80E5-B9DBD67307A2.jpeg

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Wow.. thanks for that interesting article. I remember back in s10 when the school Dan taught at was being inundated with calls demanding he be fired or when people were calling Shelly's hushand threatning to kill their daughter because she dared to betray the almighty Jeff.  The price for famewhoredom sure is steep.. I'm glad we have a relatively sane bunch here 😁.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:02 PM, Melina22 said:

The BB Canada house is gigantic. It has a moderate sized outdoor space. More an outdoor deck/hot tub. It's funny to watch them out there smoking in parkas with snow falling on them. 😁

Yeah I find it so trippy to see it snowing there.  I find it funny that they have no qualms standing outside in the snow having lengthy conversations while it is snowing.  

I am from New England and we get our fair share of snow and I for one have never stood outside casually talking while it is snowing out.  Instead I am cursing the fact that I  have to go out and shovel it. 

I have to say I am not feeling the evection episode happening on Wednesday nights now.  I am so used to evictions happening on Thursdays.  This Wednesday night crap is messing with me.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Sorry for the back-to-back posts.  I did not read this until after I posted.  Anyway, I am not sure if what Jackson did was intentionally racist and ageist, only he knows.  However, Twitter does tend to blow stuff way out of proportion and it seems like they are not happy until they find something that they can be offended by and complain about.

• Love 3
On 6/26/2019 at 3:02 PM, Melina22 said:

11 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Yeah I find it so trippy to see it snowing there.  I find it funny that they have no qualms standing outside in the snow having lengthy conversations while it is snowing.  

I am from New England and we get our fair share of snow and I for one have never stood outside casually talking while it is snowing out.  Instead I am cursing the fact that I  have to go out and shovel it. 

I have to say I am not feeling the evection episode happening on Wednesday nights now.  I am so used to evictions happening on Thursdays.  This Wednesday night crap is messing with me.

I love how wide-open and enormous the BB Canada house feels, in comparison to the BB US house. So as a loser with a lot of time on my hands this time of year, I have looked up the BB US house layout, and holy shit, it really is tiny!

I avoided anything Big Brother like the plague, until my cousin was cast as a houseguest on Big Brother Canada Season 1, so I felt obligated to watch. Then ended up watching BB15 (The Summer of Racism), and have watched every season of the Canadian and American versions ever since, and in the 14 house designs since, the BBCan Grand still remains my favourite.

I would never set foot in the BB US house, since I do not care for the lingering smells of farts and sweaty feet or ants crawling over every available surface. And that story from a few years ago still freaks me out: someone in the BB16 cast reportedly found Aaryn's hat from the previous year stuck behind a dresser, which must mean that during the annual "refurbishment," none of the furniture was actually moved.. Shudder.

@BK1978, I'm not a smoker, but do know plenty of them, and I tell you a bit of snow would not stop them from standing outside to smoke. I think one of the reasons the Canadian hamsters don't care as much is for the reason you curse the snow: none of them have to go and shovel any driveways.

Has the eviction always taken place on Thursdays? I will have to agree with you on that one: Veto has always been played on Wednesdays, evictions on Thursdays, and Sundays are (usually) filler. But, looking at Wikipedia (not the most reliable I know), it appears it will return to the regular schedule on Wednesday, July 10. Let's hope so.

• Love 3

Yeah, it sounds like it's a messy breakup and probably real, unlike Mark/Elena's million and one breakups. 

That sucks, either way. They were just talking about moving in together last week and now, it sounds like some real shit went down. It's a shame because I was actually really liking them.

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, it sounds like it's a messy breakup and probably real, unlike Mark/Elena's million and one breakups. 

That sucks, either way. They were just talking about moving in together last week and now, it sounds like some real shit went down. It's a shame because I was actually really liking them.

It's dumb, but I actually liked both of them a lot after that whole drama with Swaleigh and Kevin. I liked that Fessy sent Kevin the money that Swaggy wouldn't give him, and that Haleigh unfollowed Bayleigh. Dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks-but-nice-people are my favorite type of romances, and that was basically Fessy/Haleigh. Oh well.

• Love 2

I'm also ashamed that I took a look at both their twitters to see what was going on. And I'm still confused.

This is a bummer for them, but it's also more interesting than the current season. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

I avoided anything Big Brother like the plague, until my cousin was cast as a houseguest on Big Brother Canada Season 1, so I felt obligated to watch. Then ended up watching BB15 (The Summer of Racism), and have watched every season of the Canadian and American versions ever since, and in the 14 house designs since, the BBCan Grand still remains my favourite.

@BK1978, I'm not a smoker, but do know plenty of them, and I tell you a bit of snow would not stop them from standing outside to smoke. I think one of the reasons the Canadian hamsters don't care as much is for the reason you curse the snow: none of them have to go and shovel any driveways.

Has the eviction always taken place on Thursdays? I will have to agree with you on that one: Veto has always been played on Wednesdays, evictions on Thursdays, and Sundays are (usually) filler. But, looking at Wikipedia (not the most reliable I know), it appears it will return to the regular schedule on Wednesday, July 10. Let's hope so.

Obviously you do not have to answer if you do not feel comfortable doing so, but you piqued my interest.  Who was your cousin?  

I felt that BBCAN seasons one and two had the best casts.

You could be on to something, I am not a smoker either but yeah they will go through great lengths to smoke anywhere they can.  Especially now that they are not allowed to smoke in buildings.

I have been watching since BB3 and this sounds bad but I really do not recall how long the evictions have been on Thursdays.  It seems like a long time.  Since I have been watching it, the only day I do not recall it being on was Monday (I think it was on Mondays on season one).

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

My first thought was an application for Ex on the Beach like I heard of Mark and Elena.

• Love 2

Hmm maybe they do want to be on ex on the beach.

But, if it is a real break up, I'm not surprised. They just didn't seem like a match to me, Haleigh had way more chemistry with Tyler than with Fessy imo.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Summerday said:

Hmm maybe they do want to be on ex on the beach.

But, if it is a real break up, I'm not surprised. They just didn't seem like a match to me, Haleigh had way more chemistry with Tyler than with Fessy imo.

And Brett and even Scottie.

• Love 4

Really? If they'd had a great relationship and loved each other, I don't think her graduating from college would be reason enough for her to break up with him. That's kind of snobbish. Maybe now she'll rethink just 'building a life' with him and consider getting a tent of her own.

But I don't follow them on any social media (I don't follow any of them), so what do I know? All I know is what I read here.

(edited)
5 hours ago, mikewho said:

Really? If they'd had a great relationship and loved each other, I don't think her graduating from college would be reason enough for her to break up with him. That's kind of snobbish. Maybe now she'll rethink just 'building a life' with him and consider getting a tent of her own.

But I don't follow them on any social media (I don't follow any of them), so what do I know? All I know is what I read here.

I kind of feel that maybe they're in different phases of life. Haleigh might not be ready to settle down whereas Fessy is 27 and that's the age many guys and girls think about settling down. 

ETA: oh shit, as Monica BB2 would say, it's ON.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • LOL 1
On 6/28/2019 at 7:17 PM, RandomWatcher said:

Word on Reddit and likely elsewhere is that Fessy and Hayleigh broke up

I never really saw them as a long term thing. So not surprised.  

• Love 2
On 6/28/2019 at 8:20 PM, BK1978 said:

Obviously you do not have to answer if you do not feel comfortable doing so, but you piqued my interest.  Who was your cousin? 

Suzette was my cousin's name. She was the 6th houseguest evicted, and the last one before Jury.

I've noticed they haven't used the Instant Eviction since Season 3, when it was randomly dropped on Naeha, and the only time in three seasons it was dropped on someone before Jury. I wonder if there was backlash against using that so early, which may be why they dropped it?

Season 3 was when it switched to Global, and that's when the twists were being tossed hardcore at the houseguests during the first few weeks, to the point where a lot of them basically stopped playing. I could see their viewpoint, like, why bother if another twist comes along in an hour and this plan is ruined

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

Suzette was my cousin's name. She was the 6th houseguest evicted, and the last one before Jury.

I've noticed they haven't used the Instant Eviction since Season 3, when it was randomly dropped on Naeha, and the only time in three seasons it was dropped on someone before Jury. I wonder if there was backlash against using that so early, which may be why they dropped it?

Season 3 was when it switched to Global, and that's when the twists were being tossed hardcore at the houseguests during the first few weeks, to the point where a lot of them basically stopped playing. I could see their viewpoint, like, why bother if another twist comes along in an hour and this plan is ruined

Not going to lie, it is kind of cool that you're related to the first ever HOH in BBCan history.  Did she ever say if AJ was as strange in real life as he was in the show?

I always wished they would bring the Instant Eviction and the Triple Eviction to the American show.  Those twists were really good.  That was part of the reason why I enjoyed BBCan sometimes more than the American version because the twists were always better.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 12:19 AM, BK1978 said:

it is kind of cool that you're related to the first ever HOH in BBCan history. 

Yeah, but if you were related to the first ever HoH in BBUS history, you could proudly call Mike Boogie your cousin!

*runs away*

(actually likes Boogie)

*runs farther and faster*

Edited by Halting Hex
Physical distances are "farther", not "further". It's got "far" in the name!
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2019 at 8:02 AM, Melina22 said:

I think it's just how they shoot it mostly. I've been rewatching a bunch of BB Australia (which ended in 2014) recently, partly because we no longer have BBUK as an alternative to the inevitable shitty BBUS season each year and partly because its former house was destroyed by fire a few weeks ago, and while the house was fully redesigned every year (as opposed to BBUS and BBCAN just changing the set decoration), it's hard to believe the houses from the 2002 and 2006 seasons were the same size.

Okay so I wasn't sure where to put this video but figured this was the best place.

As a giant MCU fangirl nerd, I'll watch any number of related videos on youtube, so when this was recommended to me, I took a gander. Once Kevin Smith said the kid's name, I was like "... wait a minute. Brady Malin? Is this Boogie's son?" Normally that would sound like a random leap but hear me out.

1 - I'm fairly certain I recall Mike referencing his baby son during S14 and saying his name was Brady. And as we all know, Mike's last name is Malin.

2 - S14 was seven years ago... and this boy is seven.

3 - Theoretically, Brady does look like he could be related to Mike. Like, if someone came up to me and was like "you know who's son this is?" I'd be all "I can see it."

If you're at all curious like I am, let me know what you think?

31 minutes ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

Okay so I wasn't sure where to put this video but figured this was the best place.

As a giant MCU fangirl nerd, I'll watch any number of related videos on youtube, so when this was recommended to me, I took a gander. Once Kevin Smith said the kid's name, I was like "... wait a minute. Brady Malin? Is this Boogie's son?" Normally that would sound like a random leap but hear me out.

1 - I'm fairly certain I recall Mike referencing his baby son during S14 and saying his name was Brady. And as we all know, Mike's last name is Malin.

2 - S14 was seven years ago... and this boy is seven.

3 - Theoretically, Brady does look like he could be related to Mike. Like, if someone came up to me and was like "you know who's son this is?" I'd be all "I can see it."

If you're at all curious like I am, let me know what you think?

Well, in a shameful coincidence, about an hour ago I was watching the episode of season 14 where Boogie and Frank are nommed by Shane.  Boogie is wearing a t-shirt that says Brady on it. 

4 minutes ago, chilis said:

Well, in a shameful coincidence, about an hour ago I was watching the episode of season 14 where Boogie and Frank are nommed by Shane.  Boogie is wearing a t-shirt that says Brady on it. 

THE PLOT THICKENS.

I saw Kemi's statement. I would be fascinated to see an interview with her at this point, to hear what happened when she got home, and what she thinks of the feeds. 

Same for Bella. I heard her interesting interview with Rob C. My favourite part was him telling her how well Tommy and Christie knew each other. So funny. 

• Love 1

@HeShallBMySquishy why'd you have to show me Jon Pardy? He fills my soul with a white-hot rage, for reasons you've probably guessed.

As for the People article -- to me, this is the most telling part of CBS' statement:

However, there is absolutely no truth that the casting of the show is racially motivated, that the Houseguests’ behavior is predetermined or that the outcome is controlled in any way.”

Translation: "We did not intentionally cast racists, and if houseguests are in fact, racist, that's not our fault."

I actually believe them ... but I also don't think they look very hard for it. But when they cast not-exactly-Mensa candidates, and very, very few people of color, and then put out the statement equivalent of the shruggie emoji  ... it's kind of hard to take this defense seriously.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

So this was surprising. I just watched a YouTube video with Swaggy and Baleigh from a week ago. I know people bash them relentlessly, but it was surprisingly thoughtful and well articulated. 

It centered around the racial aspect of BB 21 and how it differs from their season. As of a week ago, their favourite players were Ovi, Nicole and Kemi. They're not happy with Bella at all. 

Most interesting to me was them recounting a conversation with Rockstar where she told them, "We're not going to be the BB season who evicts the black people first", which at the time they just found sort of cute. Tyler had a similar conversation with them. 

They can't figure out how this season's players can be so oblivious, or why Kemi was so targeted. They admit it's hard not to see Camp Comeback as "very colorful" but they didn't rant. Well, Swaggy seemed about to start a couple of times and Baleigh shut him down very nicely. He didn't seem to mind at all. 

They seem like a very compatible couple, and managed to carry on a whole conversation without using "like" or the F word a million times. 

It's funny how the people we may have found annoying last season seem downright loveable now, in the face of this season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Mystery said:

Thanks for the link.  Grodner will never change though. She is so used to (cough) "whitewashing" these racists she thinks she can get away with it forever.

The only way this will ever change again is if sponsors get on board demanding a change or they pull their commercials and move them to another network because all Grodner/CBS knows and cares about is money.

And the only way sponsors will ever act is it they get backlash from viewers.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Mystery said:

Right on the thesis, but wrong on the details.

• Cliff was banished along with David, Kemi, and Jessica.  We discussed whether Jackson's choices were racially insensitive, but to claim he banished only PoC is demonstrably false.

• "The white-majority house voted out, one after another".  Nobody "voted out" David.  The only HG who took any action against him was Jackson.

• "Only one" person of color remaining of 12.  Oh, really?  How is Ms. Talavera less Latina than Ms. Milagros, exactly?  I mean, given the body types, there's less of Analyse, period, but she's as entitled to her heritage as Jessica.

Again, I don't dispute the thrust of the article.  I just feel that poor fact-checking makes it less effective.  But JMO.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12

I feel it's a tad disingenuous to point out minor discrepancies in an article whose main point is to call out contestants for their gross racism. Why does "Big Brother contestants are racist" need a "Yes, but" rebuttal? Do these discrepancies dilute the article's main point? I'd argue that they don't.

The fact that minor discrepancies are a focus indicates to me that casual racism (which I think most of this is) isn't thought of as "real" racism. Because it's "only" three out of four contestants of color who were banished, and the house didn't banish David, and Analyse is Latina and they still like her. And if I'm going to call people racists, by golly they'd better be wearing white hoods and yelling racial slurs. To me, there's extremely strong evidence of casual (and in the case of the Reality Blurred linked article, overt) racism in this house, and the article did a great job laying out the evidence why this is the case. A few discrepancies in details don't erase those points.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2