Type keyword(s) to search

BB In The Media: Outside the Fishbowl

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, RandomWatcher said:

BB19's Cody has been nominated for a People's Choice Awards for Competition Contestant of 2018, though it's for Amazing Race

https://deadline.com/2018/09/peoples-choice-awards-new-categories-nomination-voting-e-channel-1202457202/

Well, this will drive people crazy. I hope he doesn't win. He was fine on the Race but the only reason why he was seen positively after BB was because of Paul being such an ass and Paul's minions being so awful to, well, everyone.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Layton? Is that a boy or girl?

Either.  It could also be "Leighton."  

According to a handful of sources like Us and ET Online, it's a baby boy.  However, the picture shows a baby with a pink hat, so I don't know....

2 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Either.  It could also be "Leighton."  

According to a handful of sources like Us and ET Online, it's a baby boy.  However, the picture shows a baby with a pink hat, so I don't know....

I think they announced a few months ago that they were having another boy.

3 HOURS AGO, BRIAN CRONIN SAID:

Well, the slip and slide was the same one that we have always known, just easier because production sucks this year. So I suspect that there will be some weird difference that will make it easier somehow because production sucks so much this season.

Honestly, I sort of fear a more involved host most of all. Grodner is at her worst when she DOES get too attached to people, ya know? A more involved host would probably just lead to biased shit.

Hayleigh on Thursday evening: "Paul, you look really...um...uh...I have no words."

• Love 4

As usual, Evel Dick is making a ton of sense.  BB chews up an insane amount of Summer programming hours and it is dirt cheap, unless they are paying Grodner insane rights fees.  It is among a very few CBS shows which does reasonably with a younger Demo.  It also is an excellent portal to feed the CBS goals of becoming an important digital data provider.  

As much as I enjoy and appreciate the Chenbot, and that is a ton, she is just about the least important component to BB.  Her insights aren't particularly smart.  Most any average TV talent could manage to fake it with decent staff prep.  

My guess is CBS has fallen into a wee bit of good fortune.  If Grodner truly is on pins and needles, CBS can negotiate better terms.   For now, I think the reticence of a formal renewal is about JC.  My guess is this is where she decides to make a gracious exit.  It would be staggeringly stoopid of them to not ultimately renew, though.   I actually hope they are that stoopid.  A net like FOX would make things much more end-user friendly.  Ultimate feeds, imo.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

As much as I enjoy and appreciate the Chenbot, and that is a ton, she is just about the least important component to BB.  Her insights aren't particularly smart. 

But that’s one of the specific things I (and I suspect other viewers) like about Julie; she’s one of “us”, not one of “them”.  She isn’t Jeff Probst, on-site with the Castaways and (figuratively) in the trenches with them as they slug it out for their prize - she’s Julie Fucking Chen, and she’s watching from the outside like the rest of us. Until Thursday nights, that is - when she gets up off the couch, strolls across the stage, and takes a peek inside to see which parts of the maze the hamsters have run to this week, and brings the viewers along with her.  

Does Julie follow the feeds, or get daily briefings on the in-House events of the preceding 24 hours?  Nope! - but then again, who expects her to?  Julie has never built that expectation; she is a professional doing her job, not a fangirl obsessing over her subjects.  To be otherwise wouldn’t be... Julie-ish.  ;)

34 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Most any average TV talent could manage to fake it with decent staff prep.  

Julie’s live performance skills may not be the best, sure, but she’s spent nineteen years building a rapport with her audience - ‘Chenbot’ references, wardrobe cracks and all - and done so with grace and good humor.  And if CBS (or anybody else) thinks Julie’s position is an assembly-line cookie-cutter role into which ANY old talking head could be interchangeably rotated without effect on viewership or ratings, then I suspect they might do so at their own peril.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Nashville said:

And if CBS (or anybody else) thinks Julie’s position is an assembly-line cookie-cutter role into which ANY old talking head could be interchangeably rotated without effect on viewership or ratings, then I suspect they might do so at their own peril.

I would probably not watch if Dr Will or Ross Mathews were the host. Julie is innocuous. She does not in any way interfere with my viewing of the show.  If TPTB inserted a "personality", one who had to "make his bones" by standing out with scripted witticisms and "insights", I'd be gone so fast not even HG JC could peek through the door I'd blow through.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Does Julie follow the feeds, or get daily briefings on the in-House events of the preceding 24 hours?  Nope!

Who knows if it's true, but I've seen Julie on other talk shows and she says she follows the feeds.

1 minute ago, mikewho said:

Who knows if it's true, but I've seen Julie on other talk shows and she says she follows the feeds.

I'm sure she doesn't.  Maybe gets a highlight summary from one of her staffers and an occasional peak of some highlights as part of her briefing for the live show.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Does Julie follow the feeds, or get daily briefings on the in-House events of the preceding 24 hours?  Nope! - but then again, who expects her to?  

Julie’s live performance skills may not be the best, sure, but she’s spent nineteen years building a rapport with her audience - ‘Chenbot’ references, wardrobe cracks and all - and done so with grace and good humor.  And if CBS (or anybody else) thinks Julie’s position is an assembly-line cookie-cutter role into which ANY old talking head could be interchangeably rotated without effect on viewership or ratings, then I suspect they might do so at their own peril.

JC absolutely does get a detailed daily recap of the goings-on.  She loves to discuss them with staff, which I find to be endearing.  I agree wholeheartedly that she genuinely appreciates the show and "gets" its fanatics.  

I also agree there will be a fall-off, but mostly it will be a loss of goodwill.  The hardcore fans will overwhelmingly continue to closely follow BB.  Now, if its Sprinkles (Seacrest)?  The end.

I misstated at least one thing.  JC is worth hundreds of millions, not dozens.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

JC absolutely does get a detailed daily recap of the goings-on.  She loves to discuss them with staff, which I find to be endearing.  I agree wholeheartedly that she genuinely appreciates the show and "gets" its fanatics.  

In that case, more power to Ms. Julie; I figured she had a staffer assigned to follow them for her, and give her a heads-up whenever something particularly noteworthy occurred.

I also agree there will be a fall-off, but mostly it will be a loss of goodwill.  The hardcore fans will overwhelmingly continue to closely follow BB.  Now, if its Sprinkles (Seacrest)?  The end.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a (large?) chunk of casual viewership falls off in any first season without Julie, simply because ads for the new season may not even catch many viewers’ attention if Julie’s face isn’t present to invoke a BB association.  Julie is the public face of BB, and that’s not something TPTB will be able to change overnight.

I misstated at least one thing.  JC is worth hundreds of millions, not dozens.  

In that case, keep me posted if Julie and Les split.  ;>

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

LOL -  Anybody else having trouble keeping track of JC the house guest and JC the host?

Ha, thank you! I've had a number of WTF?????'s? followed by a check of which thread I'm in. Glad it's not just me! 

• Love 10

Sorry, a BB without Julie Chen would not be the same show ever again. Period. If they bring in Ross fucking Matthews or that insipid bitch Marissa I'd be out of here so fast their figurative heads would spin. Rule Number one is, as always, don't mess with the ChenBot.

• Love 10

With all that we’ve been through with BB15 and 19 and Paul and Frankie and STILL coming back every year, Ross or whoever coming in (even Seacrest, lol) would not drive me away from this show. Probably nothing would — the addiction is strong, lol. That said, I would miss Julie if she left and the show would feel very different. There’s something about her stilted awkwardness that is entertaining and very BB for me.

• Love 10

FYI - TTBOMK, Julie’s only statement to the media referencing BB:

“I am taking a few days off from ‘The Talk’ to be with my family. I will be back soon and will see you Thursday night on ‘Big Brother’,” Chen said in a statement provided to Fox News.

• Love 2

I was thinking if the unthinkable happens and JC decides to decline another season they should get a superfan to host. Someone like Arisa Cox, the BB Canada host (not HER, but someone LIKE her). She not only loves the show but follows (and tweets about) the live feeds, so her commentaries during live shows are more meaty and less reading from a card what someone who watches the live feeds wrote for her. I hear Kathy Griffin is a superfan, and she has great screen presence and would make a good host since she not only watches the show but follows the live feeds as well...but...people kinda...despise her so there's that.

I hope JC comes back. Even though she (imho) brings exactly zero to the show, only reading what's on the cards in front of her or the teleprompter over there, she's all we know. And what would the show be without her big ole smile saying "Welcome, to Big Brother"

I just had a horrible thought. The media seems to be losing their collective minds over hurricane Florence. What if (perish the thought) BB  gets bumped tomorrow night for hurricane coverage. ?

Edited by Skycatcher