Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Tchaikovsky

Comment about the preview for this ep, which is usually included in the episode thread after it first airs, but I'll put it under a spoiler tag just in case:

Spoiler

In the preview Paige appears to be at a fancy gathering where interns are. She's kissing one and later is in bed with the guy. He's shirtless and asleep and she seems to be wearing his shirt. It's possible it's not totally what it looks like--maybe they didn't actually have sex--but she's staring at his intern badge and probably thinking of working him or whatever.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Comment about the preview for this ep, which is usually included in the episode thread after it first airs, but I'll put it under a spoiler tag just in case:

Hide contents

In the preview Paige appears to be at a fancy gathering where interns are. She's kissing one and later is in bed with the guy. He's shirtless and asleep and she seems to be wearing his shirt. It's possible it's not totally what it looks like--maybe they didn't actually have sex--but she's staring at his intern badge and probably thinking of working him or whatever.

Was this the episode preview, or the season preview that followed it?  I watched the whole thing twice, and it is blurred together in my mind.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

Is this the preview you saw?  I don't see that here, it's the only one I could find.

No, this was not the season preview they showed at the end of the first episode.  There were a few quick shots from next week, but then an overview of the rest of the season.

26 minutes ago, jjj said:

MAIL ROBOT!!!  It's my birthday, and I thought just an episode would be a perfect treat.  But they gave me the MAIL ROBOT in the opening scene!!! 

Happy Birthday To You!

• Love 14

Elizabeth is telling Paige the world is complicated and not black and white? Alrighty then.

What was going on in the airport bathroom? Was that bag being x-rayed or something? 

I wonder how long it will take Elizabeth to realize it's a big mistake for her to train Paige.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

What was going on in the airport bathroom? Was that bag being x-rayed or something? 

Yes, the man in the next stall x-rayed the bag while the partner outside the stall was none the wiser.

• Love 7

But why was Stan also in the airport? (and it was JFK, so out of town)  They showed the setup for the bathroom exchange of information in the "previouslies", but I did not get it when I watched the repeat.  And there seemed to be at least three, maybe four men involved in this scenarios in the bathroom, aside from Stan. 

Ending, yuuuuck.  Idiot Paige. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

Paige is not good at this spy business.  She didn't stay in the car, and ran right into danger, risking exposing herself and others.  What if that gunshot had killed Elizabeth and Paige ran up to the General right after?  Elizabeth better figure out that Paige is not cut out for this before Paige blows all their cover, one way or another.

She really isn't, if this is where she's at with three years of training.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, suomi said:

Man, as soon as E dropped to her knees I thought "OK, he's a goner."

I already figured he'd be a goner since the viewer advisory promised violence, but yes, Elizabeth dropping to her knees started the countdown.

1 hour ago, jjj said:

MAIL ROBOT!!!  It's my birthday, and I thought just an episode would be a perfect treat.  But they gave me the MAIL ROBOT in the opening scene!!! 

I don't know which made me happier, the reappearance of the mail robot or the fact that Henry was apparently allowed to go to boarding school after all. Hopefully that means he'll be safe when the sh*t hits the fan with his parents.

8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I didn't understand that part either. The machine was making loud clicking noises, so not exactly subtle.

7 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Elizabeth just keeps lying to Paige.  Will Paige figure this out?  And how will she react?

I thought it was almost adorable that Elizabeth told Claudia things would be different for Paige; she'll go to work every morning at the State Department or CIA and come home at night. Elizabeth is not naive about most things, but in this case it's like she has blinders on. Then, next thing you know, she involves Paige in a late-night op in which someone gets killed. So much for "different."

When Philip was bellyaching over his incompetent employee, I was screaming at the TV that he should just fire the guy, it's much easier than his old job of killing people.

• Love 6
(edited)

Can someone remind me if we have seen McCleesh in a previous season? I felt like I was missing information during that meetup scene in the bookstore.

This majority of this episode was Elizabeth being miserable in every way imaginable. We also saw a confused Stan and a sad, lonely Philip. (I miss line dancing Philip from last week.) 

Paige really has to ask whether spies use sex to get information. Sigh...this isn’t going well. Did she scream “Mom” when she saw Elizabeth covered in blood and guts? 

(@ChromaKelly just answered my question)

Does Elizabeth ever call Henry or visit him?

Edited by Ellaria Sand
answered question
  • Love 5
(edited)

The appearance of MAIL ROBOT was so perfectly timed too. It was spectacular. And Stan just gave him a brief but noticeable look, like he blamed the robot for Gaad dying or something. I laughed so hard.

I wish I knew why Paige lacks any real personal agency. I mean she certainly developed some in the earlier seasons snooping around the house, going to visit that fake relative, and then leaning into the whole religion thing — something she knew her parents (particularly Elizabeth) would not be keen on. Did the admission that her parents were Soviet agents mess her up to that extent? She was grasping at straws when she made the call to Pastor Tim that closed out the third season. I certainly hope there is at least a modicum of pushback from her after witnessing the aftermath of her mom's struggle with the general. Other than that everyone around her should take the hint that she isn't cut out for field work. Just stash her behind a desk in a government agency when she graduates from college.

It's amazing just how walled off Elizabeth is from absolutely anything a part of or resembling a human life. I mean the woman can't even indulge the wife of her target to draw a cup. There is going to come a time — given her frayed demeanor outside of work — soon where I feel things are just going to crater. Everyone has a breaking point. And now she is doing the work of two people.

And with Oleg on the FBI's radar, the noose is beginning to encircle things.

P.S. Talking Heads are kinda the perfect band to soundtrack espionage. I mean it isn't just "Life During Wartime" that the Joels have purposefully avoided using. Love it.

Edited by theartandsound
  • Love 7

It was interesting- Elizabeth told Philip Paige got a name wrong, but she left out so much more. No wonder he didn’t see it as a big deal. He had no context. She left Paige letting him walk away with her ID out, that Elizabeth killed him to get it back.... and oh yeah, that she hasn’t told Paige or Claudia about any of those errors. Or her fixit method. I guess she can’t bring herself to admit how serious the mistakes were. And then Paige didn’t follow orders after the gun went off tonight. Not good. 

I think Elizabeth may have been trying to convince herself that Paige is good at this. Maybe that’s why she told Philip about her getting the name wrong. She knew that in and of itself wasn’t a disaster. And Philip wouldn’t say Paige shouldn’t be involved in spying in response. It’s worse in context. She does seem to realize she learned faster than Paige though. But- given the high stakes, she’s not being objective and honest fast enough. 

Elizabeth is still sugar coating the spy business with Paige. I’m not sure Paige buys it all, but I don’t think she’s figured out her parents frequently traded sex for information. Not just other spies. And not rarely. 

Stan knows Oleg is in town. Oh boy. Speaking of Oleg, missed him tonight. 

Nice to see Philip and Henry getting along so well. Given some of the distance between them in the past, it’s nice to them bonding a bit. But I hate that he’s there. He’s too removed.  I wonder how he’ll factor into the endgame. If he will at all. 

• Love 11

I just watched the bathroom scene again, and still don't get it.  The courier (Mr. Bickerson) was accompanied by what I assume is another Russian as protection/co-courier. Guy in the other stall with the mysterious machine is FBI?  Who is the African-American man also scouting the scene?  Why was Stan there? 

• Love 8

I'm a tad obsessed with this show, because I just enlarged the photo the patient was painting, and sharpened it and a few more things.

If anyone is wondering, Elizabeth's lip mole is not in that drawing. 

;)

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Btw, I think that review that said the Mail Robot was in last week was lying or confusing it for the ticket machine at the travel agency that was teased to sort of look like it. They saved the Mail Robot for this ep and he was great.

That review was wrong -- I looked closely, and it was not even in the "Previouslies"!  

• Love 3
(edited)

I missed how Elizabeth got the State Dept employee ID, the blue one with the A on it that she wore in the cafeteria. I rewound the scene of the tour a few times, no luck. Anyone know?

Lol at what a capitalist Philip has become.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 5
Just now, Mumbles said:

I missed how Elizabeth got the State Dept employee ID, the blue one with the A on it that she wore in the cafeteria. I rewound the scene of the tour a few times, no luck. Anyone know?

I assumed it was from Claudia's spycraftiness table.  

By the way, I used travel agencies back then, and never had to pay a fee -- they were paid by the vendors.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

When Elizabeth said "at least her husband's doing something" about the artist I felt like that was central to Elizabeth's character now because...what is she doing? That is, what's she doing it for? She thinks she's saving the world, but what for since she holds all humanity in contempt? She thinks art's a waste of time, doesn't really respect people who like life are happy for dumb reasons, doesn't value relationships. She's nobly handing off Paige to the woman who tried to break up her family because why shouldn't Paige's main relationship be with a person who gets paid to manipulate her and who doesn't hide the fact that she'd shoot her in the face if necessary? Because the KGB obviously values their sources so much. If Paige gets in trouble it's not like Claudia would stick her neck out for her like Philip did for Martha. In fact, when Elizabeth gave her little "it'll be better for her" speech as if she'd just have a 9 to 5 job, it's funny she didn't think of 9 to 5 Martha. Who the KGB would have let swing if not for Philip. (I like that it seems she's not just dead to life she's almost afraid of life--afraid to even try to draw a cup because art is too much like life.)

This is pretty much exactly the case. Decades of being a spy have hardened her to anything and everything. Drawing, music, family. Paige isn't so much a daughter as once a part of her cover and now something she created to serve Mother Russia. And all of this for a place she hasn't experienced since ~1962. Yes, what is she fighting for?

And the kicker? In four years the country she is doing all of this for will no longer exist.

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

It's amazing just how walled off Elizabeth is from absolutely anything a part of or resembling a human life. I mean the woman can't even indulge the wife of her target to draw a cup.

It’s frightening. She can’t take a moment to appreciate art or to indulge a dying woman’s. She is so single-focused that there is little left in her that is relatable.

7 minutes ago, jjj said:

I just watched the bathroom scene again, and still don't get it.  The courier (Mr. Bickerson) was accompanied by what I assume is another Russian as protection/co-courier. Guy in the other stall with the mysterious machine is FBI?  Who is the African-American man also scouting the scene?  Why was Stan there? 

I’m glad that I’m not the only one confused. Why was Stan there? Just to make sure that the Russian courier was doing his job? There were a lot of men in that bathroom and I couldn’t figure out what was going on.

11 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

Nice to see Philip and Henry getting along so well. Given some of the distance between them in the past, it’s nice to them bonding a bit. But I hate that he’s there. He’s too removed.  I wonder how he’ll factor into the endgame. If he will at all. 

I like that Philip has a close relationship with Henry. I’m beginning to doubt that he will factor into the endgame.

• Love 6

Wait, so Arkady sent Oleg Burov, the man he knows the FBI knows was/is KGB, under his real name he had to declare at the port of entry, to go meet the most prized Directorate S assets? In the hopes that the FBI would not watch him? Good plan.

• Love 13
56 minutes ago, suomi said:

Man, as soon as E dropped to her knees I thought "OK, he's a goner."

In the fantasy world of The Americans, that's a good expectation.  The fight scenes are about as likely as when Rambo, carrying only a bow, takes on and defeats 100 enemies armed with machine guns.  Blechh. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Paige being crappy at being a spy renews my hope for a good ending from the writers.

At least it's quite obvious now that she does SUCK at this.  For that reason, the Paige as spy story no longer really bothers me, because this is obviously much more about the knots and hoops Elizabeth is either tying or jumping through to make Paige her mini-me the truth.  I use "truth" very lightly here.  Elizabeth's self deception is bad enough, but she's taken it to a new level, and is trying to deceive her husband, her handler, her fellow spies, and even Paige herself.

That's a recipe for disaster on so many levels. 

Hockey guy and Sad Teeth woman are getting a pretty good payoff now, and their story is realistic to me, they married so fast, I love how much his cheating and her frustrations with him, and her own cheating is going to fuck up spies everywhere.

I have no idea what they were doing with that bag in the toilet.  An Xray would be stupid, no protection at all, and what could it possibly show?  It must be some new kind of photographic equipment that can see through layers?  Seems awfully complicated, why couldn't he just photograph the contents while on the toilet with one of those handy dandy tiny cameras?  Maybe it's sealed and that's why.

I should break out that spy gadgets book I bought and see if it's mentioned.  I do think the writers do due diligence on gadgets of the cold war, the podcast may illuminate us, or one of the recaps.  Apparently they screwed up on WH personnel though, at least according to our intrepid recapper.  http://previously.tv/the-americans/the-americans-seek-a-sensor-from-a-sensitive-old-contact/

At a picnic table, McCleesh tells Elizabeth he's looked at transcripts from meetings that indicate Reagan thinks the U.S. has "a complete missile defense." "That's disturbing," says Elizabeth. This messy bitch McCleesh then goes on to preface some goss he just got from one of Don Regan's aides just that very morning by insisting that Elizabeth must not repeat it: "He said that Regan has been complaining about how crazy things are getting around the Oval Office....The president's been forgetful. Not focused. Almost a different person lately." ("Lately," is it? Because we've established that it's October 1987 and Regan got fired as Chief of Staff eight months before that, in February.

Edited by Umbelina
hoops not hopes
  • Love 10

I hadn’t noticed, but good  point @sistermagpie at how much better Henry was at reading his father’s mood than Paige was her mother’s. She can’t tell Elizabeth is falling apart in person. Henry can tell his dad is upset over the phone.

I would think that was done on purpose. Of course- Philip couldn’t tell Henry he’s really worried about possibly spying on his mom- but he picked a good alternative story that served the same purpose and did bug him. And-Henry still got to the heart of it- that Philip feels like he walked away from his responsibilities- twice. Telling. Very telling. 

I liked that Elizabeth didn’t get what she wanted. It’s nice to see someone who has a line they won’t cross. 

I got a kick out of the artist ordering Elizabeth to draw. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, shura said:

Wait, so Arkady sent Oleg Burov, the man he knows the FBI knows was/is KGB, under his real name he had to declare at the port of entry, to go meet the most prized Directorate S assets? In the hopes that the FBI would not watch him? Good plan.

It was really the only way to get him there.

Remember the KGB is in the dark about this as well, so the USSR wouldn't be asked to cooperate.  That said, now we know why he took 9 hours to get clear in order to meet with Philip.  I'm very glad we got the excuse used for him being in the USA!

These writers are, so far, redeeming themselves for me this season.

• Love 8
(edited)
7 minutes ago, shura said:

Yeah. I cringed. I’m not sure Arkady had loads of options under the circumstances , but this is not good. 

It underlined again how dangerous this is for Oleg. And Philip. 

Edited by Erin9
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I already figured he'd be a goner since the viewer advisory promised violence, but yes, Elizabeth dropping to her knees started the countdown.

I don't know which made me happier, the reappearance of the mail robot or the fact that Henry was apparently allowed to go to boarding school after all. Hopefully that means he'll be safe when the sh*t hits the fan with his parents.

I didn't understand that part either. The machine was making loud clicking noises, so not exactly subtle.

I thought it was almost adorable that Elizabeth told Claudia things would be different for Paige; she'll go to work every morning at the State Department or CIA and come home at night. Elizabeth is not naive about most things, but in this case it's like she has blinders on. Then, next thing you know, she involves Paige in a late-night op in which someone gets killed. So much for "different."

When Philip was bellyaching over his incompetent employee, I was screaming at the TV that he should just fire the guy, it's much easier than his old job of killing people.

When Claudia first brought up the second gen illegals program back in season 2, she specifically said the point was to get them jobs in the US government. That they wouldn't put themselves in danger sneaking around and doing clandestine stuff like Elizabeth does. She'd still have to be comfortable with it though. So E lying about spies using sex was just another way she's working Paige. We keep seeing that Elizabeth sees everyone in her life through the prism of her ideology and it always blows up in her face. 

And fire the guy for losing one client? You people are harsh! Besides, the point was this marked the beginning of the end of travel agency being a viable middle-class career. Philip is going down whether he becomes a real American or not. And who was Stavos? I know they've shown in the past that some of the employees at the agency are also spies - was Stavos one of them?

3 minutes ago, jjj said:

I think Elizabeth sends Henry a holiday card in December.  Not Christmas card, of course, but something with a snowy scene from her memories of the mother country.  

The creators said in an interview that this season will explore that Elizabeth feels closer to and identifies more with Paige, and Philip with Henry. That this is a normal family dynamic, apparently. I don't understand why everyone is so bothered that Elizabeth is neglecting Henry, who is healthy and doing well, but no one minds that Philip is neglecting Paige, who is going to be psychologically destroyed at best and murdered at worst. Why is no one mad at HIM for neglecting his child? And even after an explicit conversation between two characters that show Paige is doing well as a spy, we still insist on seeing her as incompetent?

So how is Elizabeth going to get her lithium guidance system now? And I assume her assignment this season, with Glenn Haskard, involves torturing his terminally ill wife, whom she will bond with so feel really bad when she has to cause her excruciating pain. How many times can we see Elizabeth make a friend with a mark only to have to destroy them and feel sad? Her life as a spy must be getting monotonous. Flirt with mushy older men, wear wigs, make friends with a professional woman her age, ruin that person, hang with Claudia who honestly seems less fun than Gabriel. She doesn't even have a real marriage any more. The only new thing in her life is somehow convincing her daughter that being a spy is as wholesome as a church mission trip.

• Love 13
Just now, skippylou said:

It was portable x-ray machine.  Notice how Hockey Guy leaned way back before giving the flushing signal.  

What could an xray machine show?  Metal inside?  Certainly not documents.

• Love 3
(edited)

That review was wrong -- I looked closely, and it was not even in the "Previouslies"!  

I want a "previously on" this season that consists of nothing but every single appearance by Mail Robot.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Tetraneutron said:

snip

1.  And fire the guy for losing one client? You people are harsh! Besides, the point was this marked the beginning of the end of travel agency being a viable middle-class career. Philip is going down whether he becomes a real American or not. And who was Stavos? I know they've shown in the past that some of the employees at the agency are also spies - was Stavos one of them?

2.  The creators said in an interview that this season will explore that Elizabeth feels closer to and identifies more with Paige, and Philip with Henry. That this is a normal family dynamic, apparently. I don't understand why everyone is so bothered that Elizabeth is neglecting Henry, who is healthy and doing well, but no one minds that Philip is neglecting Paige, who is going to be psychologically destroyed at best and murdered at worst. Why is no one mad at HIM for neglecting his child? And even after an explicit conversation between two characters that show Paige is doing well as a spy, we still insist on seeing her as incompetent?

3.  So how is Elizabeth going to get her lithium guidance system now? And I assume her assignment this season, with Glenn Haskard, involves torturing his terminally ill wife, whom she will bond with so feel really bad when she has to cause her excruciating pain. How many times can we see Elizabeth make a friend with a mark only to have to destroy them and feel sad? Her life as a spy must be getting monotonous. Flirt with mushy older men, wear wigs, make friends with a professional woman her age, ruin that person, hang with Claudia who honestly seems less fun than Gabriel. She doesn't even have a real marriage any more. The only new thing in her life is somehow convincing her daughter that being a spy is as wholesome as a church mission trip.

1.  We've seen him a lot on the show.  I don't remember ever seeing KGB in the travel agency, and no, Stavos is just a Greek immigrant, has no idea about the KGB or Philip's real (former) job.

2.  Paige is now KGB, being trained.  Philip is not.  He can't get anywhere near that, I suppose they could chat, but it might bug Claudia and Elizabeth if they do, which would not be good. 

Spoiler

I know we see a scene with them later since I'm spoiled, so we'll see how that goes.

I don't think Philip could have a real conversation with Paige without violating his deal with the KGB though.

3.  So Elizabeth is torturing her, I was a bit confused about that.  However, I've NEVER heard of a hospice nurse, or the equivalent EVER caring if a dying patient might become addicted to pain killers.  That was bullshit, they are there to keep them out of pain as much as possible.

• Love 9

The interwebs are stating it's possible Matthew Rhys put Mail Robot in to properly honor it for the final season so I 'm just going to accept this as fact.

The thing that stuck out most for me regarding Paige's non-existent spy skillz: you'd think Elizabeth might have stressed the importance of NOT running up to her yelling "MOM!". Elizabeth's omissions are so glaring it's tough to get invested in the Paige storyline. The only way I think this might be interesting is if Paige gets arrested, not killed. 

I like that they brought back the general from S1 and I wouldn't mind if they brought back a few other characters. I think this show could pull it off without feeling contrived.

• Love 4