Type keyword(s) to search

Little Women: LA - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first season. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

• Love 1

I am intrigued with this show so far though I don't think we've really seen the challenges they have as little people. Or perhaps that's the intention - that their life is exactly like ours. For example, if when Briana was set up on the date with Elena's friend it would have been interesting to know if he knew she was a little person ahead of time and how that may have factored into his decision to meet her in the first place and ultimately ditch her at that party.  Like, it was interesting to see their challenges in shopping for shoes and clothes. Small things like that are interesting to me. The group dynamic is interesting, though somewhat staged like all reality TV, but there does seem to be authentic relationships there (good and bad).  Outside of Elena's story about her childhood a lot has been superficial so hopefully we get more insight. 

I am totally fascinated by Elena. I think she's gorgeous and I love her accent and the way she speaks. I've only ever seen little people like the Roloff's and Terra and the body type/features they have. There's something very stunning about her and I like her attitude, like when she asked the girls what she was supposed to do that the photographer wanted to shoot her solo. She apologized but said she looked great. She seems to have a good attitude. 

• Love 2

OMG. I wanted a forum for this but I was too embarrassed to admit I watch it to ask.

It feels like, to me anyway, that these women do not like each other. At all. They only interact because they are little people and the show. They're also freaking competitive about everything. The faces they make at each other, they're not even trying to hide how they feel.

I do think since it's a small community they have known each other for years but they all hate each other.

• Love 2

I am intrigued with this show so far though I don't think we've really seen the challenges they have as little people. Or perhaps that's the intention - that their life is exactly like ours. For example, if when Briana was set up on the date with Elena's friend it would have been interesting to know if he knew she was a little person ahead of time and how that may have factored into his decision to meet her in the first place and ultimately ditch her at that party. 

I was wondering if the blind date was aware she was a little person too. Also,  I considered that maybe he did know, but was expecting Briana to look more like Elena, who IMO doesn't really have many of the features that other little people have.

It's only the second episode and I already cannot stand Christy. She's just a bitch for no reason and I'm already over her engagement.

OMG. I wanted a forum for this but I was too embarrassed to admit I watch it to ask.

It feels like, to me anyway, that these women do not like each other. At all. They only interact because they are little people and the show. They're also freaking competitive about everything. The faces they make at each other, they're not even trying to hide how they feel.

I do think since it's a small community they have known each other for years but they all hate each other.

I agree to a certain extent. I don't really see much competitiveness in Tonya and the chick that's getting married (the religious one). I don't think Elena is competing  with anyone either. She just is who she is. It's Terra who is trying to compete with her simply because she's jealous. By far though, I think that Christy is the most competitive and immature.

• Love 1

I agree! I like Elena. She seems so positive. I was really annoyed when everyone kinda came for her when they went out for drinks. Who the hell is Terra to try to call her out and say she doesn't know what it's like to be a little person? I wonder what type of dwarfism she has. I've never seen a little person with features like hers.

I find Christy to be the most annoying, though I think she's been put in a lot of staged and seemingly producer-driven scenarios, like ring shopping, interrupting her boyfriend's bocce game. I think she'd still be annoying and self-centered but maybe slightly less than if she wasn't on reality TV. The editing of her lunch with Tracy was really clunky.

I'm curious to hear more about her alcoholism. Does alcoholism effect little people differently  - like their organs? I noticed she skipped the champagne during the first episode's dance class. I'm surprised her boyfriend/fiance was drinking wine in front of her at dinner. I guess everyone handles that differently in terms of sobriety. 

(edited)

She is so annoying. 

She finally begged and begged until her boyfriend popped the question. Wow, surprise!!! Oh wait, no. 

What she said after the proposal: I love it! The one I wanted! (as she stares at the ring ...then quickly glances at him)  Not one word about marriage, not a single "I love you", not a word about their relationship, their common goals, plans, etc. All she wanted was a damn ring.  I have never understood women who beg to get engaged. 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 6
I find Christy to be the most annoying,

So much yes to this. If I were her boyfriend, I would have been running out the door before the first episode filmed. Her constant we-must-get-engaged-NOW was tiresome and the last thing anyone wants to hear every few minutes. Talk about taking the romance out of the situation. I was so disappointed her boyfriend caved last episode. Even when her boyfriend was caught red-handed flirting with his ex, he knew exactly what to say to get out of trouble - "You were so awesome and beautiful, you seduced me away from your supposed friend. No one can ever compare to you!" I think Christy needs to get over her shit, let Traci have her moment in the sun, and make her up-coming marriage about love, not about who hits the finish line first. I cannot stand her. She seems so self-involved and selfish. She didn't even seem to care a out how her boyfriend felt about things; it was all about what she wanted and damn everyone else, including him.

• Love 1

I was trying to figure out what is wrong with Christy. I thought maybe she was drunk but she said that she's sober. Maybe she's just immature?

I wonder if her being sober and obviously having had a problem with alcohol has anything to do with her kids not living with her.

• Love 1
I wonder what type of dwarfism she has. I've never seen a little person with features like hers.

For once, the name makes sense - per Wiki, "In cases of proportionate dwarfism, the body appears normally proportioned, but is unusually small."  It would appear that others have achondroplasia, where "one's trunk is usually of average size, one's limbs being proportionately shorter, one's head usually larger, and a prominent forehead".  It also goes on to say that proportionate dwarfism may be the result of poor nutrition and not necessarily an underlying medical condition.  I only caught part of Elena's story about being tied to a bed for 2 years when she was a child, but if that was how she was treated, malnutrition would seem like a possibility.

I'm cyncial by nature, but especially about reality TV. My guess is that they answered a casting call, and we all know that drama sells.  Also, I think that there's some less-than-Emmy-winning acting going on, which might explain some of the facial expressions.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them knew each other before the show.  BTW, pun much? :-)

Christy annoys me and honestly I feel as if she pressured her boyfriend to propose. I am also wondering why we haven't seen her kids and why they don't live with her. I also wonder if they are little like herself.

Terra is so jealous of Elena's it's not even funny.  She is used to being the prettiest of the bunch and now we have another bombshell.

• Love 1
I was so disappointed her boyfriend caved last episode. Even when her boyfriend was caught red-handed flirting with his ex, he knew exactly what to say to get out of trouble - "You were so awesome and beautiful, you seduced me away from your supposed friend.

THIS!! So much, he was flirting and his comment about "What I have with Christy, is what I have with Christy" just rubbed me the wrong way.  Christy seems very desperate and it's not a good look.

Terra is definitely jealous of Elena. I'm sure Terra has been known in her circle as 'the hot fun blonde', and now here comes Elena who, imo, is more attractive and seems less catty than Terra.

I think Christy is desperate and annoying. Why not go ring shopping with the man you are hoping proposes to you? It seems like she's pushing him to propose.

I'm curious to hear how long everyone has been friends. I think Tonya and Terra have been friends for a while, but it seems like the other women don't know each other that well.

• Love 1

She is the most entertaining to me, probably because I watch reality shows for the snark value.

It made me laugh when she was furniture shopping with her boyfriend and kept saying no to everything and then (smart man) he finally told her to show him what she liked.

(edited)

I was watching the last episode and wondered where they dug up this "photographer". Is he the coffee boy on set and they cast him in the role for this episode? Because there is no way that an actual photographer would put the white poodle and the white-blonde woman in the white fur coat next to each other in the car. It creates too much negative space within the frame with all that white bunched together. I kept expecting the photographer to tell the women to shift seats in the car or for Terra to get rid of her coat in order to fix the problem. Of all the insanity (Christy!) in this episode, that's almost what bothered me most.

Edited by Zanne
  • Love 1

It will be interesting to figure out what "semi conservative" means.  She lives with her fiance, but they are waiting for marriage.  Is he similarly religious, or just patient? 

It will take me a while to decide if she's truly just a nice quiet person who has been keeping her mouth shut but is starting to express her real opinions (not unusual as you get older, especially if you grew up being "the nice one").  Or maybe she's just super passive aggressive.  Hard to tell, yet, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt until I see more.

Ah, that article puts some perspective (and bite) into the comment the Russian gal made about rather being called "m*****" than dressing up like an oompa loompa. 

• Love 1

I like her so far.  Not clear if she's older than the others, or by how much -- she just has such a middle aged authority figure face/expression.  Though I get the impression she will loosen up a bit as we get to know her. 

I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I got a teary-eyed when Traci found her wedding dress and asked Terra to be her maid of honor. I didn't realize they have been friends for 13 years. It was a sweet moment, especially her admitting her doubts about finding someone because of her dwarfism and shyness. Even the woman helping with the dress was crying, so at least I wasn't the only one.

All the Terra/Christy drama is so fake and annoying but moments like that make up for it. I sometimes wonder if Terra is jealous of Christy's relationship. She's mentioned more than once how she and Joe have been off and on for five years and they seem stagnant while Christy is engaged and progressing, however forced it may be.

I love Elena more than ever. Briana is also becoming a favorite. I liked that she called Terra out immediately on how inappropriate it was for her to bring up Christy's sobriety, which was totally true. She seems mature and rational. I like her. I hope there's an episode dedicated to Tonya as I'd like to learn more about her. She does seem to be the "mother" of the group. 

I really like this show. I tried to find out how it was doing in the ratings but couldn't find anything. 

• Love 1

Christy's mother seems as deluded as Christy is, but she is getting only Christy's side of events, so I'm hoping that explains her horrible advice to her daughter to actually go into another woman's engagement event and flash her misbegotten ring to make it all about her (again).

• Love 1

How do you MAKE someone propose to you, and then run around bragging about being engaged when everyone knows you forced the dude into it? This was the 1st time I've ever watched this show so I don't know why/if these women are actually friends with each other. She's such a manipulative transparent shew why would anyone want to be her friend (let alone marry her)?

• Love 1

I think I saw her on an MTV True Life over a decade ago.

Yes that was her. She was just moving to L.A. She seemed like she had a chip on her shoulder then and she had a chip on her shoulder now.

When one of the other ladies said she didn't want to invite Elena to the photoshoot because she didn't want another blonde there, her pants should have burst into fire when she said that wasn't the reason. Her "the photog only wants 5 girls" excuse was weak.

• Love 1

I'm cyncial by nature, but especially about reality TV. My guess is that they answered a casting call, and we all know that drama sells.

I read an interview with Terra and got the impression that she had shopped the idea around herself, thinking they had a great group of people just as interesting as on other reality shows, and with the little people angle on top.  She didn't discuss particulars, but gave the impression that they had known each other for years.  Of course there are lots of people I know that I'm not friends with, so...

I think if it was Terra's idea or if she was just the contact person actively involved in trying to get the show cast and made, that explains a bit why she seems extra pushy when it comes to triggering stuff happening.  Hope that calms down a little. 

Christy just... so much conceit with so little to back it up!  I like Elena and her husband. He seems nice and supportive, and there was something about the way he lifted her onto the table in the exam room that I found charming -- he didn't lift her under the armpits like you would a child, but kind of swept her up sideways.  It seemed respectful and dignified and romantic.   

I like the middle class feel of the show.  All the stupid petty drama of Real Housewives without the (all-too-often) faked affluence.

• Love 2
I like Elena and her husband.

I do, too! It seems like he really loves her, and it makes me a little sad that every time she's talked about her husband, she's never mentioned "love". She said they like hanging out together and doing things together, but not the magic word. I did hope maybe that was a cultural thing and not that she didn't love him.

• Love 1

I know it's a TV show, and it's the drama that makes the show, but this is why I don't watch any real housewives, the drama is just too much. Anytime these women get together...it blows up. It's a little too much. And too much about Christy. I'd like to see other families dynamics (maybe Brianna or Tanya). It's good, but not as good as the first episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

I read an interview with Terra and got the impression that she had shopped the idea around herself, thinking they had a great group of people just as interesting as on other reality shows, and with the little people angle on top.

This is probably true.  I read elsewhere that she was on an ep of True LIfe years ago, and based on her resume, she's been trying to break into (or depending on your definition, has been in) show biz for a while:

http://www.terrajole.com/#!bioresume/c161y

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1
Christy's mother seems as deluded as Christy is, but she is getting only Christy's side of events, so I'm hoping that explains her horrible advice to her daughter to actually go into another woman's engagement event and flash her misbegotten ring to make it all about her (again).

If the purpose of this show is to show that little people are just like everyone else, they're accomplishing it. It's nice to know average-sized people don't have an exclusive lock on the attention-seeking, self-absorbed personality type.

• Love 1

Terra has wanted to be famous for a while. I remember her True Life episode and found her personality grating. I wasn't at all surprised to see her on this show. I find her resume a bit cringe-worthy, but I guess some people need to get work however they can get it.

• Love 1

I was getting ready to put this in Terra's thread, but realized it's kind of about all the women. I was surprised to hear she's an achondroplasia dwarf. Her face doesn't have the same features that most achon's usually have. You can see Briana and Traci definitely are, I'm still not sure about Christy and Tonya.

One of her special skills is the "ability to drive a car with [her] feet!" I immediately went Flintstones with that, though I'm guessing that's not what she intended.

Hmmm...didn't she something about achons and pseudos and flat, wide feet?  Now you've got me wondering...

Terra throwing it out there about Elena possibly marrying for a green card and Christy possibly having had a drink during her sobriety so randomly confused the heck out of me. I can't tell if the producers instructed her to be a shit-stirrer or what, but that was an awfully desperate attempt to drum up drama.

Christy flashing her ring at that party was so tacky. She reminds me of a friend of mine who spend every minute of the day reminding people she's engaged. I've been engaged, too. It's an exciting time, but gosh, give it a rest.

• Love 3

I felt bad for Elena when the doctor showed her the x-rays because her condition appears to involve a lack of cartilage in her joints. That can be extremely painful, and I suspect the doctor mentioned that joint replacement surgeries are probably in her future. She's beautiful and comes across as very sweet. 

• Love 2