Type keyword(s) to search

Previous Episodes Discussion

Meredith Quill
Message added by Meredith Quill

Nothing beyond S02.E12 in here please. See the forum for individual episode topics from S02.E13 onwards.

• Start Topic

Nicole: I heard about this military program. It was supposed to help wounded soldiers walk again. They said it involved the use of exotic stem cells.
Xander: It must have been a weird day when you found out what that meant.

Xander: [Levi] can't stay at my mom's. It would be weird.
Calvin: I think it's weird that you live with your mom.

Beth: There aren't many like us in the world. I think it's important we try to trust each other.
Helen: You're the one who had me abducted in a parking lot.

Everyone being like "wait...what now?" when they find out that Ben/Ryn/Maddie are a thing is hilarious. Come on guys, its not THAT big of a deal, its not like they know about the whole mermaid thing and the magic song. 

It seems like the song is increasingly messing with Ben and Maddie and will just get worse and worse. Maybe this will lead to Ben and Maddie going under the sea to get it removed? 

I do not trust this mer cult at all. I feel like this is going to lead into some creepy breeding program or something. 

• Love 1

I was surprised that Nicole didn't go with them. In real life they'd probably send an experienced submarine pilot with them, but this is TV and Nicole is a character the viewers know. So I thought she'd go with them.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have no clue where this show is heading now.  They're juggling so many plots, it's hard to make sense of what's going on.  The first episode was just to set the stage for the 2nd episode which dropped all kinds of interesting scenarios but with no follow through.  The trip to the Sound Chamber while initially built up into a climatic moment, was then petered out with no scenes showing anything but a glow.

Helen's story now seems to be the central plot with Ryn, Maddie, & Ben relegated to plot B.

Who the Hell knows what's going on with Calvin, worse yet, who the Hell cares, although there was a flip-flop.  Thugs coming for their money from Calvin was expected, but Calvin turning down a potential pay-off from the Press that could have alleviated his financial vise was totally unexpected and so un-Calvin-like.  He's now acting out of character. Which in Calvin's case could be a good thing but again, who knows and cares. So is Xander acting out of character.  Now, all of a sudden, he's back with Nicole?  The Nicole who seems to be playing both sides.  I wonder if Nicole was monitoring Ben & Maddie BEFORE she found out about the Thruple.  I don't see why she would have monitored them before, but why is she monitoring them now?  It can't be because she's curious of how exactly a thruple with two humans and a mermaid works, so what is she journaling?

Rick's sister, who I can probably look up her name if I cared, is STILL shady.  She doles out minuscule bits of information only to give the impression that she's friendly and harmless, but she's definitely shady and will fuck Helen over in a heartbeat, she'll fuck Rick over in half a heartbeat. No bueno.  

Dinner was enlightening, but it would have been better if Ben, Maddie & Ryn just opened up on their own.  Instead, they had to have Maddie appear delusional.  It sort of ruined the impact of the news and made it seem like some sort of sexual experimentation.  That pretty much ruined what should have been a new milestone for television history. They love each other, why hide it and add this unnecessary angle?

I was looking forward to these two episodes but because it was big on promise but short on delivery, I was kind of disappointed that after two hours, all they managed was to get rid of the side-effects of the Siren Song.

Welcome back Levi, but who in the world thought it was a good idea to give him beer.  Speaking of beer, Calvin actually got wasted on free beer. . How pathetic is this dude?

Calvin, drink responsibly.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3
(edited)

I really hope Helen threw Beth's cookies in the trash. I wouldn't put it past Beth to try to poison her.

Oh, Nicole, I finally thought you were one of the good guys and now you are watching Ben, Maddie, and Ryn IN BED? Seriously, gross.

Calvin was trying to sell the mermaid story to anyone who was willing to pay and now he's willing to protect their secret? Okay then. I hope he doesn't try to turn Levi into some kind of underground fight club source of income.

Whenever I see an MRI on tv, it inevitably drives me crazy because the process is almost never portrayed accurately. Ben and Ryn would not have been allowed into the room with the magnet while Maddie was being scanned. The magnet is very strong so going past the entrance door would be enough to demagnetize every card in Ben's wallet.

The reason patients are often given scrubs to wear while they are being scanned is to make sure that they have no metal on their clothing (again, the magnet is really strong). Maddie was wearing scrubs while she was being scanned but Ben just strolled into the scanner room while wearing street clothes (and presumably without emptying his pockets which is a huge no-no), yet when it's his turn to be scanned they hand him a fresh pair of scrubs. That makes ZERO sense.

Also nonsensical - after Maddie's scan, they were told that they would have the results the next day. You can see the results AS the scan is happening. The results we saw later (Ben had bigger dark areas than Maddie) would have been obviously visible as they were doing the scans.

I know I sound like Buffy complaining about fight technique while watching a movie, but I see these kinds of errors EVERY time there's an MRI done on tv! Then again, the military let Ben, Maddie, and Ryn take an unsupervised deep dive to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea so apparently they're not really concerned with following protocol.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 6/22/2019 at 2:08 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was cautiously optimistic when Rick's sister revealed that she  already knew about their mermaid family (only because I was afraid he and Helene were about to get murdered in someone's basement), but mostly I was annoyed. Poor Rick has been self medicating for years because he didn't understand why he was so different and she knew all this time!

On 6/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, Jacks-Son said:

This is the real crime here. Rick's sister basically denied him his right to his own history and identity and subjected him to decades of shame and ridicule. The poor guy didn't even know the words to the generational prayer that Helen's own mother taught her. Imagine, a whole way of life you were kept ignorant of by the very same person who tried to convince you there was something wrong with you.

Now, you want to embrace and introduce him to his own history and you do so by abducting him. Fuck off! Bugger off!

On 6/22/2019 at 1:45 PM, UNOSEZ said:

That's the kind of ignorant paternalistic privilege that is so ubiquitous  she probably doesn't even understand what she's really done... In her mind its a bad thing.. But for the greater good and I bet if he pressed her with complaints about it.. She'd hit him with a " its in the past now get over it and let's move forward "

Damn can't put my finger on it.. But that sentiment sounds familiar 

It reminded me of the terrible reboot of the Tomorrow People where the mother of the lead character gaslights him for years. Rather than tell her son that what he's been experiencing is him manifesting his powers, which she knows because she has powers and deceased husband had powers too, she convinces him and his doctors that he's schizophrenic and needed to be on antipsychotic drugs. What kind of monster does that to their own family. And I had the same thought when Rick's crappy sister came clean.

It seems like the group killed Helen's father and excommunicated Helen and her mother for not following their incest is best/keep the bloodlines pure/no talking about fin club rules. It does seem like they're going to kidnap Levi and put him through the Jason Stackhouse at Hotshots treatment aka rape him.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:37 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I could not believe that the military people were like sure, we will send three civilians down in our multimillion dollar vessel without any of our personnel aboard to go investigate this thing we’ve never heard of! 

I kept wondering why on earth the military let them use it without any military personnel there.

• Love 1

Watching the 1st season now.

Can anyone please explain to me how Ryn can stay on land for so long without suffering? In the first few episodes she got seek after a day on land, but then it seems like she is okay without ocean water. Was it explained somehow? 

On 4/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, Erina said:

Watching the 1st season now.

Can anyone please explain to me how Ryn can stay on land for so long without suffering? In the first few episodes she got seek after a day on land, but then it seems like she is okay without ocean water. Was it explained somehow? 

I just started watching with in the last month or so (gee I wonder why....) and there was a line somewhere in the beginning episodes about how the more she comes to land the more adapt to it she becomes