Type keyword(s) to search

Shipper Wars: Favorite And Least Favorite TV Couples

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, doram said:

Michonne is awesome. Whether fandom thinks she's awesome is another thing. Which is exactly my point.

Granted, I don't venture to a ton of places beyond here but I've never seen much sentiment that Michonne isn't anything but awesome.  She is certainly a thousand times more popular/respected than Lori, Andrea, or Beth were.

• Love 6
On 10/2/2016 at 8:26 PM, doram said:

And Jimmy Olsen in CBS'/TheCW's SuperGirl is a terrible character. And Iris West in TheCW's The Flash is a terrible character. And people preferred to ship Jessica Jones with her rapist and arch-enemy than Luke Cage (another terrible character). And Zendaya playing Mary Jane Watson on the big screen is already being touted as the worst thing to happen to Spider-Man. Odd how every. single. time a POC plays a love interest, they turn out to be terrible characters. 

I can definitely see your point, although, if I add in my opinion, I think the writing on Iris West fails her more as I love Iris as a character and Candice as an actress; Luke on Jessica Jones was relatively boring for me but I never shipped her with Kilgrave, ever. But yeah, I do think the problem for people lies with the comic book fans, who hate change or who find one actor more appealing over another (in the case of Luke Cage/Kilgrave). It definitely is a problem, though. Comics have been changed over time because they have to. Many of these comics were created during a time of heightened racism and misogyny. The heroes were mostly straight white guys; there were very little POCs up until the last couple of decades, at least prominently, and most of the women in comics were just used as love interests or their superheroine status were surrounded by males in some way. So if comic book fans can't adjust to the changing times and the attempt to make a story different, then that's on them. Unfortunately, their voices are quite loud so it's hard to ignore.

Comic fans get uppity if even one thing from the comics is changed. For example, there are fans of the Green Arrow comics that dislike the show because Laurel Lance is not Oliver Queen's love interest and a relatively new character (an already established named in the comics but an entirely new character) is. If she was a POC, the uproar would certainly be worse. 

But getting back to worst love interests, I have to say that I am not a fan of Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl because of the actor, not because of anything else. His character doesn't have any chemistry with Kara for me to be invested. Which is a shame because I have had hopes for him, but seeing as they've only had one season, I'm willing to see if that changes. Iris West is a kickass character who is much more interesting than Caitlin Snow and who deserves better than the writing that she's been given. Caitlin/Barry as a couple makes no sense to me and since they've already pandered to that audience season 1, I hope it doesn't need to happen again. Ever. 

• Love 2

I realize a sexist show like  Two And A Half Men wouldn't have a lot of likable female characters but Lyndsey was the WORST. She treated Alan like shit, never made it a secret of how she could do better but he couldn't, dumped him for another guy like three times on the show, yet if he ever tried to move on with his life with another woman, she'd fly into a jealous drunk rage.

Yes I realize Alan degenerated into a pathetic sad sack loser parasite, but even he deserved better than her!

• Love 5
On 10/3/2016 at 1:13 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Michonne is not a terrible character. 

While a lot of people love Michonne "the warrior" plenty of those same ones have a problem with Michonne "the love interest".

• Love 3
15 hours ago, doram said:

in comic book stories people seem to hate on the poc love interest more than any other character.

I don't know because I don't read much in the fandom.  But on this site Laurel Lance  was more hated than any other character on television as far as I could tell, along with Katie Cassidy, the very white, blonde-haired blue-eyed actress who played her - so much so that it became hard for me to even participate in the threads, so much so that the mods had to step in over and over and post a warning over the entire thread.  There are close to five thousand posts in her thread and they are overwhelmingly negative.  Barbara Kean on Gotham was also roundly hated until they stopped trying to make her a love interest and turned her into a villain. ( Not many posts in her thread because apparently nobody here likes Gotham except me and a few others. ) I've never read anything close to that kind of hostility to Iris West, not towards the character, not towards the actress playing her.

I actually think people just kind of generally hate the love interest when their role in the show is to try to get the superhero to stop being a superhero, because it's too dangerous - in other words the person who is the enemy of the entire premise of the show.  No actor or actress can make a success of that.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I can definitely see your point, although, if I add in my opinion, I think the writing on Iris West fails her more as I love Iris as a character and Candice as an actress; Luke on Jessica Jones was relatively boring for me but I never shipped her with Kilgrave, ever. But yeah, I do think the problem for people lies with the comic book fans, who hate change or who find one actor more appealing over another (in the case of Luke Cage/Kilgrave). It definitely is a problem, though. Comics have been changed over time because they have to. Many of these comics were created during a time of heightened racism and misogyny. The heroes were mostly straight white guys; there were very little POCs up until the last couple of decades, at least prominently, and most of the women in comics were just used as love interests or their superheroine status were surrounded by males in some way. So if comic book fans can't adjust to the changing times and the attempt to make a story different, then that's on them. Unfortunately, their voices are quite loud so it's hard to ignore.

Comic fans get uppity if even one thing from the comics is changed. For example, there are fans of the Green Arrow comics that dislike the show because Laurel Lance is not Oliver Queen's love interest and a relatively new character (an already established named in the comics but an entirely new character) is. If she was a POC, the uproar would certainly be worse. 

But getting back to worst love interests, I have to say that I am not a fan of Jimmy Olsen on Supergirl because of the actor, not because of anything else. His character doesn't have any chemistry with Kara for me to be invested. Which is a shame because I have had hopes for him, but seeing as they've only had one season, I'm willing to see if that changes. Iris West is a kickass character who is much more interesting than Caitlin Snow and who deserves better than the writing that she's been given. Caitlin/Barry as a couple makes no sense to me and since they've already pandered to that audience season 1, I hope it doesn't need to happen again. Ever. 

It's not just comics fans. It's a systemic issue.

Tara Thornton from True Blood was, arguably, the most hated character on a show filled with career criminals and mass murderers. She was a central character for the first half of the series and saved her best friends life numerous times, and still a huge swath of fandom cheered when the character had the back of her head blown off by a shotgun.

Her cousin Lafayette was initially beloved (as a glorified eunuch), until, he became a fully realized, three dimensional sexual being. Then, almost immediately, he became "boring."

And that's just two characters, on one show.

I could go on but it goes back to my point, in another thread, about how fans of color are expected to ignore systemic bias in order to "keep the peace."

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Dee said:

It's not just comics fans. It's a systemic issue.

I totally get it. I was just talking in terms of comics since that's the example that was brought up. I see that there are still issues with that kind of stuff happening. But since this is not the thread to talk about that stuff, maybe we can move the discussion to the proper thread! 

To get this back on track, and with The Flash starting up again, I will say that Barry is one of the worst love interests. Not because he's a genuinely bad person, but because he makes so many bad decisions that if he dates a girl, she should be wondering when Barry's going to erase their relationship from history, or when his disappearing acts are going to stop. Because man, his decisions really affect his entire life and the entire timeline that he lives in and it never works out for him because he's such an idiot who's obsessed with traveling through time and trying to save his parents. Like, leave well enough alone!

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:18 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I think Brooke Logan is a terrible love interest for anyone on The Bold & The Beautiful...but she's the star. And every man in town seems to love her.

Yes, every man and his brother, and father. And apparently every guy her daughter's been with too.

• Love 3

ER did this a good bit - Abby (Crabby) was inexplicably adored by most of the men on the show even though she had a terrible personality/ (PS we won't go into the fact that not one of the characters had a decent human kid (There was one but they killed him)

• Love 3

I'm sorry but if you're going to talk about some pattern involving people of color wouldn't that be more of a discussion for the Race thread?

ER did this a good bit - Abby (Crabby) was inexplicably adored by most of the men on the show even though she had a terrible personality...

I don't remember most men having crushes on Abby. Carter did and Luca did and then there was Lucian who briefly asked her to sleep with him, but they never really capitalized on what a great character he could be and just wasted him with these kinds of half plotlines that never went anywhere. Example: does anyone else remember that he had a special needs sister that he spent Christmas Eve with? I was so hoping that would develop into something but it never did.

I would say that Neela became the character that men inexplicably lusted after. She was with Galant and then Stamos joined the show after he left, and then her roommate Ray developped feelings for her and then when he left the show they brought in that Australian dude who was super boring and had been molested or something, and by that point she was getting her hair all blown out and styled like she was Sarah Jessica Parker looking for Mr. Right.

Oh, and somewhere in the middle of all that Lucian developed a massive crush on her too (for my thoughts on that, see above).

• Love 1

...maybe? I guess I just don't see the pattern.

Since I just mentioned him in another thread I will I will also note here how James LeGros' Mark Albert with the epitome of terrible love interest at the end of the third season of Ally McBeal. His character was introduced to fill the void left by Gil Bellows' Billy and the show immediately tried to make him this quirky, snarky, sensitive bad boy type and the actor, bless them, could not pull it off to save his life. It was beyond awkward watching him flirt with Flockhart.

When the third season ended with her dating a stuffy British guy it was a total relief because they actually had some semblance of chemistry. By the following season, Mark Albert had been rewritten into a boring normal guy who never so much as expressed any interest in Ally previously, much to my relief.

There were some pretty terrible love interests on Melrose Place near the end of the show's run. Kelly Rutherford as a replacement for Marcia Cross made no sense. I could not imagine why Michael wanted anything to do with her except for the fact that she used to be a prostitute, but sure as heck didn't look like one. And then there was Lisa Rinna who was paired up with Kimberly's former lover and Dr. ...but she didn't have any chemistry with him at all.

On 10/5/2016 at 1:06 AM, andromeda331 said:
On 10/2/2016 at 8:18 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I think Brooke Logan is a terrible love interest for anyone on The Bold & The Beautiful...but she's the star. And every man in town seems to love her.

Yes, every man and his brother, and father. And apparently every guy her daughter's been with too.

Yeah but I think all of her love interests are also terrible love interests for anyone, starting with Eric and Ridge.  It was definitely one way with Whip though.   I always felt sorry for the guy.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, atomationage said:

Yeah but I think all of her love interests are also terrible love interests for anyone, starting with Eric and Ridge.  It was definitely one way with Whip though.   I always felt sorry for the guy.

I felt sorry for Whip too. Poor guy.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Raja said:

The homicide detective John Luther being with psychopathic murderer Alice Morgan

Was Alice really considered a love interest?  I never got the vibe that the show presented them as such and we never saw them romantically interact.  They did present their relationship as a very twisted, yet mutually respectful friendship though.

On 10/2/2016 at 8:26 PM, doram said:

And people preferred to ship Jessica Jones with her rapist and arch-enemy than Luke Cage (another terrible character). 

I take issue with this one remark.  (The rest I don't know enough to comment).  For me it was about chemistry and Jessica Jones and Luke Cage had zero none zilch.  Actually they had whatever the opposite of chemistry is.  As for Killgrave they did have a certain amount of hate chemistry which I find fascinating in the short run.  Which is why I give some credibility to the pairing.  Personally I prefered pairing Jessica Jones with Trish Walker.  Talk about chemistry!

Edited by Chaos Theory
On 8/6/2016 at 11:43 AM, Sparger Springs said:

Urkel stalked Laura. When the show finally goes off the air they are together.  Ugh.

I agree with you on that. But to be fair to the actress who played the character he was going with (Michelle Thomas), Myra, passed away from cancer. So I'm guessing that's mainly why Steve ended up with Laura. Things could have turned out differently if that wasn't the case. If I remember correctly, I think he moved on from Laura by that time.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2016 at 6:30 PM, allyw said:

While a lot of people love Michonne "the warrior" plenty of those same ones have a problem with Michonne "the love interest".

I'm late with this, but that isn't true. I watched the episode where Michonne and Rick finally became an official thing, and I am not kidding when I tell you that over half of the posts related to the ep went something like this. "OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGod they're together at last!!!!!!!!" Hell, I was one of the people doing the Snoopy dance in my living room, just because I so seldom get what I want when it comes to couples I like getting together.

8 hours ago, doram said:

I take issue with this remark that any amount of "chemistry" makes it appropriate to ship a woman with her rapist, under any circumstances.

Which brings us to Spike, Spike, and well, Spike.

What occurs to me in long-term retrospect is how hilarious it is that both Angel and Spike were considered so great as romantic choices for Buffy, since I can't help but wonder if it had something to do with the fact that neither of them really had anything going on except to mope over her or hang out with her or wait for her to show up. And that in comparison Riley was the "bad" boyfriend pretty much for the opposite reason, having needs and wants of his own. Not that Buffy was any prize by the time the series ended, but I still thought she deserved better than Spike.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I agree with you on that. But to be fair to the actress who played the character he was going with (Michelle Thomas), Myra, passed away from cancer. So I'm guessing that's mainly why Steve ended up with Laura. Things could have turned out differently if that wasn't the case. If I remember correctly, I think he moved on from Laura by that time.

I don't think she passed away until after the show ended.

16 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't think she passed away until after the show ended.

Michelle Thomas was in the last season of Family Matters, but her cancer had progressed so badly, they had to shorten her screen time. Her death and the show's cancellation both occurred in 1998.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Popples said:

Michelle Thomas was in the last season of Family Matters, but her cancer had progressed so badly, they had to shorten her screen time. Her death and the show's cancellation both occurred in 1998.

So the writers couldn't have let Myra go with her dignity instead of having her go all Fatal Attraction?! That pisses me off.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'm late with this, but that isn't true. I watched the episode where Michonne and Rick finally became an official thing, and I am not kidding when I tell you that over half of the posts related to the ep went something like this. "OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGod they're together at last!!!!!!!!" Hell, I was one of the people doing the Snoopy dance in my living room, just because I so seldom get what I want when it comes to couples I like getting together.

While you may not had seen it on this board, it did happen. There are/were many fans who are "upset" that Michonne "will no longer be a warrior" because she's now Rick's love interest. Because for many of them, Michonne shouldn't be anything but a weapon with a weapon and something that I did find funny with those posters was that they didn't see the hypocrisy with shipping Carol (who spent the majority of the past few seasons being deus ex machina)  and Daryl.

Edited by allyw
  • Love 1

I came across Teen Titans again (not that abomination Go, but the original cartoon) and I've found that I still love Raven & Robin just as much as I did then.

Meanwhile, the idea of Beast Boy & Raven still horrifies me. It just gives me that 'oh f*** no!' reaction. So, of course, it's the most popular pairing in the fandom. I just don't get the whole opposites attract trope. I mean, I'm sure some of the pairings I ship fall under that category, but for the most part, it just doesn't work for me. I prefer my ships to get along and have things in common.

• Love 1

I'm an easy shipper, but I do have some favorites

Ian and Mickey (Shameless) -- proof that there is no such thing as too much angst (did they ever get to just be happy for more than 2 scenes?). You'd think Mickey would be the dominant one in that relationship (once it actually became a relationship) but Ian had Mickey wrapped around his finger.

Matt and Julie (FNL) -- he was much too good for her, but clearly she had sense if she chose him. 

Tami and Eric (FNL) -- obviously.

Couples that I did like at one time

Owen and Cristinia (Grey's) -- I liked them up until well, their break up. After him cheating on her and accusing her of murdering his baby I was out.

Liv and Jake (Scandal) -- I liked them but they were never going to be endgame, and the show dragged it out until it was dead and then continued to drag it out.

I've disliked most central pairings but I can't think of all of them rn

Castle and Beckett (Castle) -- I liked them better as friends and I stopped watching when the show started pushing them to actually happen

Ichabod and Abbie (Sleeping Hollow) -- technically never happened and I stopped watching the show back in season 1, but I liked them better as friends and dreaded when the show would inevitably put them together

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 3

Cheers 

I admit it I loved Sam and Diane together.  So much chemistry.  They were all wrong for each other but i really wanted them to work. 

NCIS 

ziva and Tony.   Hate that Tony's departing show centered around ziva.  I never liked Ziva and found she brought out Tony's worst traits.  I liked any other pairing Tony was involved in. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, tribeca said:

Cheers 

I admit it I loved Sam and Diane together.  So much chemistry.  They were all wrong for each other but i really wanted them to work. 

NCIS 

ziva and Tony.   Hate that Tony's departing show centered around ziva.  I never liked Ziva and found she brought out Tony's worst traits.  I liked any other pairing Tony was involved in. 

I had always hoped that Kate and Tony might someday be a couple, but then she left the show in a permanent way.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, tribeca said:

Cheers 

NCIS 

I liked Ziva.  She had spunk, mystery, intelligence.  Couldn't stand Jeanne & Tony.  Thought Kate was better as a friend.

I agree abt Sam and Diane.  And I'm glad the show never forced Rebecca & he together.

I'm sure it's been said, but it needs to be reiterated that Penny and Leonard never should've gotten together.  They bicker, belittle each other, and have nothing in common.  Sheldon and Amy FF are cuter now that he's maturing, and Howard and Bernadette are adorable.

My favorite couple of all time is Starsky & Hutch, though.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

My favorite couple of all time is Starsky & Hutch, though.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

My favorite tv couple is Sonny Crockett & Ricardo Tubbs.

While I also love the two named above, my ALL TIME, no comparison/can come close, is Shawn and Gus on Psych!*

Shawn: "I'm Black, he's Tan." (referring to Gus, while Gus nods in agreement) 

Gus: "You know that's right."

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 9

I rarely ship hetero. Some exceptions: Josh/Donna & Toby/CJ(TWW) and Penny/Desmond (Lost).

But mostly it would be: Starsky & Hutch (my original ship) Napoleon/Ilya (MUNCLE), Alias Smith Jones, RayK/Frasier (Due South), and Dean/Castiel (SPN).

• Love 2

I tend to enjoy the dysfunctional or "dark" relationships over the happy functional ones.  It's tv after all and what fun is a functional relationship?

Like:

Jax/Tara (Sons of Anarchy).

Walter/Skyler (Breaking Bad)

Cotton/Anne (Salem)

Willow/Tara (BTVS) 

Buffy/Angeles (BTVS)  I thought Buffy and Angel was trite and boring but when he became Angeles I found the relationship fascinating 

Giles/Joyce (BTVS) I am not sure if I should count this but Band Candy was one of my favorite episodes and it made me love the idea of a pairing and I am still disappointed that it went nowhere.

There are a couple Star Trek Universe pairings that I would like to include but none ever went anywhere so not sure if they count.  Picard/Beverly,  Janeway/Seven,  Spock/Nurse Chapel are among my favorites.  I also really enjoyed the DS9 episode that paired Odo and Lwaxana Troi and would have liked to see that explored.

Piper/Alex (OITNB)  The show has gotten way to political for me but I still really enjoy the pairing.

Francis & Claire Underwood. (House of Cards)

The more I think about it the more I find pairings I do like and actually ship.  Australia's Wentworth has plenty of pairs both written into the story and imagined that I enjoy.  I also really liked almost all the pairings on Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica.  It's a rare show that does action/politics and romance well but for the most part it did.   You could probably count Norma and Norman from Bates Motel if you are being creepy.  So before I take up way to much space I will stop.

Dislike

Buffy/Angel (BTVS) and Buffy/Spike as well.

Mary/John (Salem)  the main pairing of the show was probably the least interesting.  Isn't that usually the case though?

Almost all the pairings on Pretty Little Liars.

again probably more but can't think of any off the top of my head.

Edited by Chaos Theory
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It's tv after all and what fun is a functional relationship?

Yeah that reminds me that I loved Will and Hannibal's relationship. I didn't ship them romantically or anything(cause, damn) but their relationship was dark, twisted and fascinating. I loved it. Best creepy couple ever.

I usually don't care much about romantic couples so I guess my favorite is John and Aeryn from Farscape. Their relationship was interesting and complex but it wasn't the whole show.

When I used to watch Grimm, I liked Rosalee and Monroe, I thought they were sweet. I do tend to like sweet couples like that although the only other one I can think of right at this moment is Sharon and Andy on Major Crimes. 

My favorite cop couple is Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt on Life On Mars. They are just great. 

Edited by festivus

The first season or two I really liked Nick and Juliette on Grimm. I thought it was refreshing that Juliette wasn't one of those nagging girlfriend/wife of a cop who's always sitting at the dinner table while the candles burn and the food grows cold. I liked that she had her own career and interests. I felt like there was a lot they could have done with her being a veterinarian once she was in on the Wesen world. Then it all went to shit. 

• Love 4

I've been rewatching The Newsroom as I think more about journalism and the media and while I love that side of the show, do I ever hate Maggie and Jim. They have to be the worst couple in TV history and I'm only on the first season. They are just awful from top to bottom and I hate every second they spent dealing with their relationship and at this point in the show, they're not even together. The only good thing about Maggie/Jim are the conversations Don and Sloane have about it.

I cannot even with how patronizing Jim is and how aggressive and rude Maggie can be. In one episode Maggie has a panic attack and even though she's been diagnosed by a doctor and has been living with this issue for a while, Jim needs to save her, mansplain her own medical condition to her and the whole thing is supposed to be super romantic. Or Maggie is so hostile to Jim, even when she's making mistakes and the audience is supposed to read that as them having chemistry and bantering. Ick from top to bottom and like I said, I'm rewatching so I know it's only going to get worse.

I will say on this rewatch, I am hating Will and Mack less as a couple. There are still some serious problems there in large part because Sorkin isn't great with women, but I appreciate more the acting and I do think I'm sold on their history. It helps that most of their conflicts centre around work and Mack gets to be competent there even if she has to subtract on her fingers and knows nothing about economics.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

The first season or two I really liked Nick and Juliette on Grimm. I thought it was refreshing that Juliette wasn't one of those nagging girlfriend/wife of a cop who's always sitting at the dinner table while the candles burn and the food grows cold. I liked that she had her own career and interests. I felt like there was a lot they could have done with her being a veterinarian once she was in on the Wesen world. Then it all went to shit. 

I can't say I ever really liked Juliette, but the show was determined to have Nick conceal his identity from her, so she never really had a chance. The writers were determined that after their loving start, there would be nothing but betrayals and upsets between them. It was all extremely tortured and tedious.