Type keyword(s) to search

Alex, Inc. - General Discussion

• Start Topic

NOTE: Although these two episodes are airing on the same night, they will not be airing back to back. For some reason, ABC is sticking a Modern Family rerun between the two Alex, Inc. episodes.

Alex's podcast starts intruding on his family life when a private Rooni moment is revealed to the audience, while Deirdre feels neglected and gets an offer to host her own show. Will she leave for a new opportunity? Later, Ben discovers his friend Emily has a crush on him.

Alex decides to use Rooni's idea for a new podcast about a murder case she worked on, but husband and wife do not work well together. Meanwhile, Deirdre goes on a date, and Ben thinks of a way to get rid of his girlfriend's super annoying friend Laura.

That Bollywood rendition of Raspberry Beret was amazeballs. I am really loving this show and the dynamics of a biracial family are pretty realistic. I especially loved the daughter for saying her mom was Bengali and “whatever dad is.” I also love the relationship between Alex and Rooni.

• Love 4

The family helps change Alex's feelings when he becomes overly sensitive to listeners' comments leading up to the launch of the podcast. Meanwhile, Rooni enlists Ben's help with Soraya's diorama to get her an A on the project but the plan backfires.

I think it's improving. The first couple episodes were shaky, but I have outright laughed several times at later shows, and I though both of last nite's were good. Not great, but solid. I am firmly and unapologetically a Zach Braff fan, and he's eased into this role more comfortably now, and maybe it's coasting, for me, on his charm, and the fact that Alex suddenly seems more JD-like, but whatever, I like it. The gradual grudging respect and friendship between Diedre and Eddie is kind of endearing. Still not that sold on the kids tho. They're very...sitcommy kids. And oddly, I've liked Tiya Sircar a lot in other things, especially The Good Place, but she's not really working for me here. Too smiley, too superficial, no real characterization so far, tho I guess these two episodes were trying to flesh her out more.

• Love 2

Feels like they are blowing through the episodes. 

I mostly enjoy the show, probably because of Zach Braff and he's bringing his all to the role, but many pieces aren't working. 
I despise the daughter. Why are so many shows determined to have the overly precocious child (usually the daughter) who is also borderline psychotic? That character trope is stale and is boring. The son is too much but I can manage his scenes a little more. I feel as though they are still working on how to work the wife into the show better. She's just sort of there and I don't want her to be the nagging always annoyed at him wife character.

The workplace interactions are the best ones for me and I agree that Dierdre & Eddie (thanks for reminding me of their names!) are forming a nice friendship. 

There's potentially a good show here, I hope ABC gives it a chance to settle.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:24 PM, callie lee 29 said:

I'm looking it more and more but that's probably because of the JD 2.0 that Zach Braff is doing. Him talking about his "tumtum"will never mot be funny (at least to me).

I agree!  During the show, I noticed that I love him more in the funny parts, than the serious.  Zach just does funny/goofy really good and makes it endearing.  His serious face looks to much like he is acting.  

I like the show. I hope it stays around. 

I enjoyed it ... I like the son better than the daughter.

Those were a lot of green beans that they were snapping at the kitchen table. Alex's musings over "mulling things over" vs. a "dry run" was cute.

Tom from Cougar town ( and Scrubs) makes an appearance! He plays the best crazy characters!

He is so funny. They should make him a recurring character where she has to visit him in prison every so often.

• Love 1

Using a voice translator to understand what Joya said about him in Bengali, Alex instead accidentally discovers a family secret. Deirdre accidentally erases all of the focus group results and tries to recreate it before Alex gets back to the office; and Soraya doesn't want to participate in her recital, so she pretends to be sick.

(edited)

SEASON SERIES FINALE!

After a company offers Alex money to expand the business, he worries his business is ruining his relationship with Rooni and the children and makes an important decision about the future. And with the future looking bright for the company, Deirdre and Eddie bring on a famous podcast producer.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 5/12/2018 at 5:22 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same here. It was a sweet and funny show (despite the fact that the "I'm starting a podcast" premise did absolutely nothing for me).

Yeah, I was just coming here to say I never really got why starting a podcast was supposed to be a good premise for a sitcom. If it weren't for Zach Braff, I never would have checked this show out. I did love seeing him on TV again, so I hope he comes back in a stronger series sometime soon.

• Love 2

I have a huge soft spot for this show since I'm 2nd generation Indian, love podcasts and think ZB is adorable.  Are they going to start shipping Deirdre and the cousin?  I hope not but after the last few episodes I am getting concerned.  

I was making dinner while we watched this episode.  Did Rooni's parents have an arranged marriage? Mine did and for years I thought they would divorce the second my brother graduated high school.  Somehow now in retirement, they actually seem to like each other more.

Side note: I need all of Rooni's clothes.  

• Love 1

I saw it talked about in Tiya's Instagram feed.  I am so incredibly bummed. I thought the writing was good.  It wasn't as tight as say hayday Modern Family but it was very cute.  Also, I'm Indian and my kids are half-Indian and I think we really related to that element of the show.  It's rare that Indian kids aren't just the "nerdy side kick with the thick accent" on shows.  And I liked the take of the second-generation Indian mom who was successful but also dealing with the elements of her culture.  Plus, I think Tiya is drop dead gorgeous.  Loved her on The Good Place and I really want to steal all her clothes and makeup looks.

Bummed.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Well I guess that is over.  Alex really was a self centered man that repeatedly put his own needs and desires above everyone else, whether it meant stealing money from his family's retirement plan, embarrassing his kids or constantly complaining about how busy he was.

Then, he finally gets some recognition, but decides he isn't ready to expand his business after being offered a once in a lifetime opportunity, until he decides he does want to expand the business;  Both decisions were made without consulting his business partners.

Mostly, the show seemed so unrealistic with regards to podcasting.  I listen to podcasts and it's not a lucrative career that supports a family.  It's most often a side gig done in the podcaster's spare time.

Edited by beartrash
  • Love 2
On 5/16/2018 at 10:32 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

Sorry to see it go...especially when they keep bringing back that screeching mess "The Goldbergs"

Don't forget, they picked up a Goldbergs spinoff!

(edited)

Rooni really didn't seem focused on her work;  she was always leaving for various reasons.  However, it seems a really bad idea to have them both dependent on this nascent business, especially with kids to support.  It's not like they can just sell their house and move into a small apartment if things don't go well. Her mother will certainly be thrilled, I'm sure.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Rooni really didn't seem focused on her work;  she was always leaving for various reasons. 

It’s what happened in real life so it worked out.