Type keyword(s) to search

On My Block - General Discussion

Dee
  • Start Topic

It took a couple of episodes, but I really like this. It's hilarious. I love the guys and Olivia. Monse, not so much.

I know she's a teen, but her high strung nagging behvior is annoying. Also, I know she's confused and some of her issues surrounding admitting her relationship with Cesar has to do with abandonment issues, his lifestyle being a gang member and breaking up their "family" etc., but I just can't with her lies. Things are going to be much worse for the "family" when they learn she continued to lie about her and Cesar even after she was practically busted. It was stupid, but she's a teen. RME. SMH.

At this point, if there must be a love match on the show I'm all for Olivia and Cesar making a go of it. I also like Olivia and Ruby, but he's just so short and at times very childish. Though again, they're all teens so...

By the way, I love the music on this show. 

• Love 3

I love how much the gang loves each other. All five of them are continually willing to sacrifice their own happiness so their friends can be happy. It's endearing as it is frustrating.

• Love 3
On 3/17/2018 at 5:32 PM, Dee said:

The last 5 minutes was BRUTAL.

This! OMG I'm speechless. My heart is breaking. Hope we get a Season 2 and that Ruby and Olivia somehow pull through.

Loved the song playing at the end of the episode. Does anyone know who the artist is?

• Love 2

This show is not getting enough posts to justify individual episode threads, so I merged all posts into a season discussion thread. You can discuss the whole season here.

I enjoyed most of the show, although I was not a fan of the Rollerworld story line. As for the shooting, unfortunately I think threemileallan is correct that one of them is dead. At first both ambulances had their lights on but then the second ambulance turned off its lights.

On 3/19/2018 at 1:05 AM, Enero said:

Loved the song playing at the end of the episode. Does anyone know who the artist is?

The song was 'Changes' by Dej Loaf.

3 hours ago, Dee said:

The song was 'Changes' by Dej Loaf.

Thanks! ?But that’s not the song. I’m talking about the very last song that was played in episode 10 after the incident at the party. It closed out the episode. 

As I understand, it’s a song by rapper Kovacs featuring Domo Genesis. It was specifically recorded for the series and has not been released for purchase. Hopefully they’ll eventually release a soundtrack for the series and include this gem.  There were a lot of great songs played in the series but this one was the standout for me. 

This show was awesome! I binged it in one night.

I am always amazed by people like Jamal who believe in the impossible and never give up. Those are the one making their dreams come true. I would have given up a lot sooner.

It is rare for me to not hate anyone in a show but this one made everyone relatable.

Monse was annoying with her constant lying but feelings are complicated and she is 14 years old.

I don't want anyone to die but I am sure someone will... if there is a season 2.

And what will happen to Cesar now that everyone knows he didn't actually kill the other guy?

• Love 2
On 3/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, paulvdb said:

This show is not getting enough posts to justify individual episode threads, so I merged all posts into a season discussion thread. You can discuss the whole season here.

I enjoyed most of the show, although I was not a fan of the Rollerworld story line. As for the shooting, unfortunately I think threemileallan is correct that one of them is dead. At first both ambulances had their lights on but then the second ambulance turned off its lights.

I just wasn't a fan of the Rollerworld storyline becasue even if he found the money, Jamal wouldn't be able to hide or spend it. That's a massive target to put on his back with a gang war going on and living in a low income area. Lottery winners don't even want their identities revealed because of the  neverending trouble that comes with it.

• Love 3

I just happened to hear about this show so I checked it out... love, love, loved it! The music was so good (Netflix has a playlist on Spotify) and I enjoyed the humor. I thought there was a good balance of funny and serious, and all the characters were a hoot. Well, Monse, not so much but I like her story about her mom.

I enjoyed the lore and hunt for the Rollerworld money but now that Jamal actually found it, I'm wondering where this will go. It's too convenient (and too dangerous) to have that kind of money, considering their situation. But I'm going to trust that they have something good in mind.

The ending was so shocking at yet not at all, considering the state of things. I was relieved that Cesar didn't kill the guy but at the same time, he was naive not to. I'm worried about the punishment he's going to get... and I can't see how he can stick around for much longer. He's going to have to get his hands dirtier (actually kill someone), which will land him in prison, or skip town.

Between Ruby and Olivia, Ruby's the one I'd like to survive, since he's one of the original characters and he's such a character... but it would affect everyone so much more if he didn't make it.

• Love 3

my emotions are in SHAMBLES. the last 5-7 minutes. whew.

totally didn’t notice the ambulance light go off. now that i read this i’m spiraling again! the last episode really brought the season together for me. i must admit, i didn’t love the show at first. as an adult i found it difficult to remember how annoying, opinionated, moody, unpredictable, flaky and aggravating teens can be. i loved abuelita and didn’t mind jasmine. 

really hoping a season two. i need Ruby to be ok. caesar, unfortunately should have known better than to handle the rival the way he did. 

• Love 2

To me, Ruby just looked 9 years old. His love interest just looked older than him... Jasmine looked like she could be his mom. lol.

I think Ruby is gone. It makes no sense for it to be Olivia and much more impactful if Ruby goes imo. Also, things worked out a little too well for him in the end.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, chelsie said:

I think Ruby is gone. It makes no sense for it to be Olivia and much more impactful if Ruby goes imo. Also, things worked out a little too well for him in the end.

Remembering  their wounds I think it may be Olivia. Ruby looked to have been shot in the shoulder. Though that can be very dangerous if a major artery was hit, but Olivia looks to have been shot center chest. 

I think either dying would test the “family” and have the potential to destroy it. Though Cesar is a good kid, what’s happened may be enough to turn him dark.  

• Love 1

I just finished the season and am glad for the renewal. I actually found myself liking it a lot by the end. 

I liked all of the characters in some capacity. I found Monse the most frustrating to watch because I felt like she was too demanding at times and a little too mean, but I also understand that, given her age, she's not going to be perfect. I also found Ruby to be too pushy toward Olivia, but I still enjoyed him. Jamal and Olivia probably ended up being my favourites, followed by Cesar. I think those three kids really showed the struggle that went on and still remained really decent kids. Well, Cesar was kind of a jerk at times, especially with his thing with Monse while dating Olivia. 

I'm hoping neither kid is dead. I really doubt they'll kill Ruby. He's most show's TV pet, so to speak, and most shows don't kill of this type of character. He reminds me of Stranger Things' Dustin in a lot of ways. Olivia is more of the wild card, but I really found her likable, I felt like they didn't utilize her enough besides being a plot device in a love triangle with Monse and Cesar, and a love interest for Ruby, and she's a pretty sweet kid with a lot of potential. Though with that ending focusing more on Ruby than Olivia, maybe she didn't serve any other purpose to the show. Also, the only other girl in the group is Monse and she's a pain to watch at times. It was nice to have a female friendship, despite it being mostly about a guy.

I like that Jamal figured it out on his own. Of course it was where his football nightmares began.

I don't get the purpose of Jasmine. She's gross, rude, and doesn't understand simple social cues, but I feel like it's supposed to be more for entertainment. In her first scene, I swore she was some crazy, forty year old woman chasing after the kids. I didn't buy her as a fourteen year old.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I didn't buy her as a fourteen year old.  

Probably because Jessica Marie Garcia is in her early 30's.

To me, Jasmin is that character who it would be fun to be friends with in theory, but an absolute pain to deal with IRL.

That said, in her more. relatively, subtle moments JGL proved herself to be a very adept comedienne.

Between 'egg booty coughs' and her threatening people with the brick she carried in her purse, she had me on the floor more often than not.

That ending was a gut punch, but I had mixed feelings with the show overall.  Some things worked, others didn't. I actually really liked the RollerWorld storyline, I thought it was a great balance to the dark of the Cesar/Santos story.  I loved the Oscar/Cesar day on the beach and Oscar giving up his dream to ensure Cesar had a good home life, but at the same time condemning Cesar to a life in a gang. I loved Abuelita, I loved her interactions and bond with Jamal. I loved Jamal in general. I loved Ruby, he's easily the star of the show. I really liked Monse, I liked her being bossy and prickly and moody, she wasn't a get a long girl in a boy group, she stood out and spoke up.

I did not buy Olivia giving Cesar an out and breaking up with him. I don't buy she wouldn't feel hurt and betrayed by what she saw going on at her quinceanera between Monse and Cesar. I don't buy Monse feeling almost ZERO guilt over making out with Olivia's boyfriend and all the lies she told and kept telling. I don't buy Olivia giving Monse her blessing like some fairy godmother and just bowing out like that. No way. These are TEENS and Monse/Cesar DID do Olivia wrong. There would be hurt feelings and lashing out all around. But it goes with the general apathy in the writing for Olivia, she is basically there for Ruby to crush on, Monse to talk to (about a guy) and to be a third wheel in Cesar/Monse. She was never her own character. I would not be surprised if she's the one that dies and doesn't return for Season 2, especially now that it's come out the actress isn't even Latina. Like WTF show runners?

I utterly and completely LOATHED everything that went on with Jasmine.  From the intense over-sexualizing of a TEENAGE GIRL, to these ridiculous gross outs they kept shoving at her character to the way the group treated her and acted like she was a disease to the way she had zero social awareness to the not surprising fact that all of this was heaped on a fat girl.  Because fat girls are gross and so it's okay to make them the objects of ridicule and scorn.  I see you show, I see what you did there, so fuck you big time on that bullshit front.

• Love 3
On 4/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, Vella said:

I utterly and completely LOATHED everything that went on with Jasmine.  From the intense over-sexualizing of a TEENAGE GIRL, to these ridiculous gross outs they kept shoving at her character to the way the group treated her and acted like she was a disease to the way she had zero social awareness to the not surprising fact that all of this was heaped on a fat girl.  Because fat girls are gross and so it's okay to make them the objects of ridicule and scorn.  I see you show, I see what you did there, so fuck you big time on that bullshit front.

This. I hated this trope. I hated that they cast an older actress alongside the kids. I hated how she was written and its tone deaf to gloss over the fact that she's the only fat female in the whole show. There's another show Letterkenny which does deal in parody but has the the only dark skinned black character in the whole town as a hypersexualized, disgusting bartender who is constantly hitting on the all white cast and making crude suggestive remarks. I've even seen in the message boards commenters being disgusted and grossed out by the character. 

Forgot to mention this yesterday: the link above also has the cold open, the first almost 4 minutes of the season premiere. Please use spoiler tags if you want to discuss it before the official season premiere on March 29.

Spoiler

It doesn't reveal much until the final seconds when we find out that Ruby is alive.

I finally watched this show. I loved everything about it. I like all 4 of teens and their friendship with one another. 

Jamal had me cracking up the entire time. I loved his interactions with pretty much everyone. I loved that he didn't give up and found that money. On the other hand, his life in a danger now. 

I loved Ruby. Most of the time, I keep thinking he will realize he doesn't like girls or something. He kept blowing up my gaydar. 

I really loved Monse even when irritated at times because she is 14 year old who likes a guy and is scared she will lose the people closes to her because of it. 

I also liked her and Caesar together. 

Olivia was just there for me. The only time she had me dying of laughter was when she tried to speak Spanish. LMAO! I was cringing the entire time. Props to the actors for not breaking a scene during that scene. 

Spooky was hot. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dee said:

Once again, the final episode of the season is crazy.

Only up to episode 8 before I had to dip off.. But I've enjoyed it so far.. Does Monse speak with her mom again before the season is done...  And was I to inferior that the mom was ashamed of being a Latina. Or from the hood... I heard Monse ask if she was ( I dunno lighter or less black looking)  if she would stayed..  Then she's just in the car.. And that's about as far as I got.. But that seems like a juicy bit of character stuff to explore

I just finished episode 4 and OMG, this show has gotten even better.   This show has me cracking up one minute and then has me trying to swallow the lump in my throat the next.

The Ruby and Jasmine friendship is inspired.  I couldn't stand Jasmine in Season 1, I just felt like she was too much, but this season, from when we found out about her Father, I've already come to adore her.  Her loud and garish exterior covers a girl who's gone through a lot and has developed a strong outlook on the world and her place in it.  She's not oblivious to how others see her but she's learned to always be her number 1 fan.  She is clearly someone who knows about loss and grief and her generosity of spirit towards Ruby has really helped me appreciate the character, both with the group and as an individual character.

Another stand out so far is the Ceasar and Jamal friendship.  Jamal is outrageous, neurotic, but underneath his extra exterior, there is someone who genuinely cares about his friends and will always help if he can.  Caesar (for all he's dealing with) seems to have a grounded if quietly cynical view of the world and life.  So seeing him opposite Jamal, someone who seems to think anything is possible, is automatically a good character dynamic.  Although not happy about the reason, you can tell Jamal is THRILLED to have Caesar staying with him and really is coming to see him as a brother.  Jamal clearly makes Caesar want strangle him but I'm hoping we get to see Caesar grow to appreciate Jamal, quirks and all.  The montage of all the weirdness when Caesar and Jamal were sleeping cracked me up.

Caesar and Monse are still adorable.  I really felt for them when Monse's Father understandably demanded Caesar leave the House.  What Ceasar is dealing with, is HUGE.  Episode 4 was not his best look in terms of his relationship with Monse but again, they are both going through a lot, him being displaced and trying to reconcile living with Jamal and Monse dealing with her Mother.

I love the whole show.  Please tell me we are getting a Season 3.

• Love 4

Like last season this show didn’t really start to pick up until the last 3-4 episodes. 

Really enjoyed how they dealt with Rudy’s PTSD, very realistic. I was surprised Monse wasn’t effect more emotionally, but I guess this was explored through her desire to go live with her mom. Speaking of which how long did she live in Brentwood, go to school etc.,? Six weeks? A month? It seemed like there was still quite a bit of school year left when she returned. 

So glad Cesar’s situation got worked out. He and Spooky’s plan was ingenious. However, with the Prophets now out of commission, at least temporarily, whose  responsible for the incident at end of episode 10?

This season had its moments, but I don’t know, I didn’t feel as engaged in this season as last. I’d still watch a S3 though. 

• Love 2

I really missed this show. Loved it more this season.

I didnt miss Olivia at all.

I actually like Jasmine now. She is annoying but she has her moments. I love her and Ruby as friends now. They dealt with his PTSD well. I also love Rubys mom she is hilarious. 

I thought Monse forgave her mom too quick at first so I was glad the real reason came out. Though I was hooping they would expand on it more.

I find Jamal annoying at times. But he seemed generous wanting to split the money 4 four ways when they didnt even help him find it in the end. Though if I never have to hear about roller world money again it will be too soon.

I hope there is a season 3. Especially giving the ending.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, backhometome said:

I didnt miss Olivia at all.

Glad someone else said  it.  I didn't like Olivia at all last season, and was not at all sad that she was the one who died (other than being sad in general that shootings like that happen all the time, and innocent kids are always caught in the crossfire).  I did chuckle when the show finally acknowledged how awful the actress' Spanish was when Ruby's gift to Olivia was a Spanish-English dictionary.

I loved this season just as much as I did the first one.  It's the right amounts of funny and seriousness.  And the kids and adults are all great.  Also, Oscar/Spooky is sexy as hell!  #shallow

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this season. Everyone had something going. I am also glad they involved Jamal more in whatever was going on with the group. I felt bad Jamal did a cut of the money though. Poor guy.

Monse really wanted to spend time her mom. She was desperate for female companionship. However, as soon as I saw her hair straighten, I was side eying her mom. I am glad Monse found out what a racist her bish she is and that she went back to her great dad. 

Loved that they flesh out their parents some more. Jamal, Ruby, and Monse's dad at times had me dying. The coach too was cracking me up. I guess next season would be more about Cesar's dad. 

I wonder who took them in the end?

• Love 2

‘On My Block’ Season 3 In Limbo Over Cast Contract Renegotiation Impasse

Just like the case of 13 Reasons Why last summer, it is getting down to the wire for the core cast of a popular Netflix teen series to complete salary renegotiations going into Season 3.

About two weeks before the cast of coming-of-age comedy On My Block is scheduled to convene for the first Season 3 table read, the series’ lead quartet Sierra Capri, Jason Genao, Brett Gray and Diego Tinoco are still at a standstill with Netflix in their salary renegotiation talks, with the two sides very far apart.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:17 AM, TwistedandBored said:

Olivia was just there for me. The only time she had me dying of laughter was when she tried to speak Spanish. LMAO! I was cringing the entire time. Props to the actors for not breaking a scene during that scene. 

I binged season one and I HATED the Olivia character.  To me it felt like the second season of Sleepy Hollow.  It was like Craine and Abbie had chemistry all over the place, but for some reason, the show runners pushed Katrina into the story.  Olivia felt like a wrench thrown between Monse and Cesar.  

On 7/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, Dee said:

If they were white this wouldn't be an issue.

Very, very true and very, very sad.

• Love 2

‘On My Block’ Season 3 Starts Production As Cast Completes Contract Renegotiation

As I had reported, reps for the four, who each made $20,000 an episode in the first two seasons, went into the negotiations with an opening salvo of $250,000 an episode. Netflix countered with an offer for $40,000 an episode, leading to a $225,000 an episode response from the actors’ camp.

Nobody is commenting, but I hear all actors got substantial raises, tripling or more their previous paychecks.

And in a year-end ranking released by Netflix, On My Block was listed as the service’s No. 1 most binged show for calendar-year 2018 in the U.S., ahead of such hits as Making a Murderer, 13 Reasons Why, Bodyguard, The Haunting of Hill House and Orange Is the New Black. While this reflects the average watch time per viewing session and not overall viewership, the metric is important for streamers as such high engagement drives subscriptions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2