Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E05: A Diamond in the Rough

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

So, I'm not reading through all the posts tonight, because my stupid DVR deleted the recording!!  It's a long story that I won't get in to as far as how that happened, but I wanted to know when does CBS put the episode on their website?  I hate to think that I have to wait until tomorrow to watch tonight's episode!  I was hoping CBS put it out there as soon as the west coast finished, or is it tomorrow!  Dying over here!! LOL

You have to wonder, when people came back from Ghost Island without an idol or advantage, does anybody believe them?

Desiree is a beast. But she's on my shit list now.

God, I hate slide puzzles.  Not just on this show, but anywhere.

Winning challenges for your team is not proving your loyalty.  Proving your loyalty is voting for the people who the people you're trying to prove your loyalty to want to go.

It is SO wrong to look through people's bags.

So Michael's a lifetime fan of Survivor, having watched it since he was 13.  So, all of five years, huh?

I don't mind Steph going.  Besides all the whining, the vocal fry was annoying.

• Love 5

Stephanie, on the other hand, was on my last nerve. "As a single mom, I only have myself to rely on." Well, clearly you're relying on somebody unless you left your kids at home alone for months while you went on a reality show. I'm not sad to see her go.

That was my thought too.  And while it's not her fault, but Steph's voice and her manner of speaking reminded me of Sheryl Sandberg, a total phony I have zero tolerance for, and I couldn't get the association out of my head. And it doesn't help that Steph would venture into the occasional self-affirmation stuff that Sandberg peddles around too.

When people try to rationalize why they should not be voted off by saying "this has been my dream" I roll my eyes because it's every contestant's dream.

As far as the sob stories go, yeah they can be a little annoying at times but would people rather hear nothing at all about the players personal lives?  Would you rather watch a bunch of robots play

Well, I get your point but that's a false choice. You can have contestants full of personality who don't constantly talk about their personal lives.

• Love 8

And while it's not her fault, but Steph's voice and her manner of speaking reminded me of Sheryl Sandberg, a total phony I have zero tolerance for, and I couldn't get the association out of my head. And it doesn't help that Steph would venture into the occasional self-affirmation stuff that Sandberg peddles around too.

Ugh. Can't stand Sandberg either. Sometimes I feel like the only one, so thanks for bringing that up. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

The jinx of that freaking Legacy Idol. Steph knew about it. Jacob, Morgan, and Steph have all been burned. Beware Dom!

I guess there won't be a pay-off to Stephanie's knowledge about the legacy advantage. We never saw her discuss it with anyone else, so I think it's back to no one knowing about it but Domenick. Although Domenick doesn't seem that great at keeping his own secrets, so maybe his allies know or will know soon.

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

eta: Bless Chris, who attempted to bond with Donathan and build a relationship that included him essentially just talking the entire time and all about himself. The funniest moment was when Donathan's voiceover was playing as they were going to commercial and the camera zooms in to show Donathan's wavering expression and there's Chris's face in the shadow, with his mouth running a mile a minute.  I know Donathan said he appreciated Chris' story and I believe him but watching the exchange just continued to show the problem with Chris and his lack of self awareness about it. Dude never talks to people or has a back and forth conversation. He just talks at them.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

No Chris, it surely did not seem like you were talking with Donathan.  It seemed more like you wanted to tell YOUR story.

I swear he is the King of the One-Uppers.

Chris isn't a bad player (although I think he overestimates himself) and I suspect he's also not a bad guy—in fact, I think this cast is generally pleasant and the kind of cast I would hope to end up with if I were to play. I think he's just very, very impressed with himself. I get the sense that he feels that no one could have possibly overcome as much as he has to accomplish as much as he has. It's off-putting, but not maliciously intended.

I'm curious what the Naviti five on Malolo are expecting to do when the merge comes, since the old Naviti who stayed on Naviti aren't sticking together. I get that it's an no-brainer strategy for the Naviti five to just stick together and vote out former Malolos—it keeps them safe, and there will likely be a merge or another mix-up before they have to turn on each other. I'm just curious if they expect the original Naviti to stick together at the merge and finish off the remaining Malolos (and then take advantage of the Domenick/Chris split to go further in the game), or if they plan on allying with any of the original Malolos they've played with at the merge. At this point, everyone has been on their swapped tribes longer than they were on their original ones, so it seems like there should be some vague sense of trust or loyalty to their current tribemates—even though they're not part of the Naviti five alliance—over the people they played only six days with and with whom they never went to Tribal Council. I can't even where the members of the Naviti five fell in the Chris/Domenick division.

• Love 12

Man this season continues to be excruciatingly dull.. Anyone else notice that literally the only female player to get more than 2 minutes of confessional time all season just got the boot? I had her going far for that reason only, they generally don't waste too much airtime on barely interesting people who go out 5th. Kellyn is probably a distant second - the producers need to annoy us somehow.

Meanwhile Probst's main spank bank inhabitant Chris gets repeat confessionals each episode and gets publicly fellated by Probst at the reward challenge. Several of the other guys we know pretty well too. Is Jeff the only producer of the show these days? Normally I don't see what the big deal is but wow.

Desiree is hot. That's about the only thing this season has going for it. That and Ozzy's inbred cousin being my friend's winner pick (can't wait for that one to fail).

• Love 3

This was one dull episode. I could tell Stephanie was going to get the boot as soon as NuMalolo lost the immunity challenge. I liked Stephanie, too. One of my eye candy is now gone.

I'm so sick and tired of the Naviti 5 being in control. Hopefully, the tables will be turned in the future. All in all, the episode was just blah and boring.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sepalma23 said:

So, I'm not reading through all the posts tonight, because my stupid DVR deleted the recording!!  It's a long story that I won't get in to as far as how that happened, but I wanted to know when does CBS put the episode on their website?  I hate to think that I have to wait until tomorrow to watch tonight's episode!  I was hoping CBS put it out there as soon as the west coast finished, or is it tomorrow!  Dying over here!! LOL

It is up now.

ETA: Okay, I swear I just saw it lol the clips from tonight’s ep are up so I assume it would be posted anytime. I think it’s usually after midnight EST but it doesn’t always post exactly at midnight.

Edited by LadyChatts

During her talking head from Ghost Island I immediately thought Stephanie could go home at the earliest opportunity.  I just couldn't take that Alvin-the-Chipmunk-on-speed voice any longer.  Not to mention that she's the only single mom in the history of civilization, yet she ditches her kids for 39 days to romp on beaches in a bikini.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Sepalma23 said:

Ever since CBS started that damn subscription service, I haven't been able to watch anything on the website or the app for free & I pay for cable ! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I have a Fire tv box and every other channel lets you watch at least some of their shows as long as you log in, but not CBS. If you can't get it there, you might try You Tube, they used to put clips on there ( though I haven't checked for a while.)

Not sad at all that Stephanie left, I haven't liked her from the 1st episode. I was sure that since she bugged me so much, that it would be Michael or the other girl going, but for once I got my wish. Personally, i think she'd be much better looking without the fake boobs, but I may be alone in that thinking.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, vb68 said:

I'm getting sick to death of the no game for you notes at Ghost Island. What a freaking waste of time!   

AGREED!  Five people sent to GI, one game played.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want 20 idols floating around, but they played up Ghost Island and it's really turned into nothing so far.  Could it be that they're waiting till after merge to load them up on idols and advantages??   

• Love 16
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I entered this episode caring for neither Stephanie nor Jenna.  But I appreciate Stephanie's strength for leaving LDS, and I totally get Jenna because I have a larger "personal space" than most, and I suffer from resting bitchy face.

I felt for her as well because I have the male version of the resting bitch face.  I am not even sure what one would call it or if it even has a name.   All I know is I constantly have people asking me if I am mad and I am like..."Uh no, this is just my face."

So glad to see Stephanie gone, the whole single mom thing was getting annoying.  She also seemed a tad bit cocky when she had actual power on her original tribe.

This cast has been totally blah thus far.  I am still having a hard time retaining names.  I really wish they would bring back the opening credits again.  Maybe then I would actually be able to retain people's names.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, preeya said:

"I'm so close to the $mil, only TWENTY-FIVE DAYS to go"

Bye bye, Stephanie.

Seriously, instead of that paper saying there was no game for her to play, it should have said "you're going home!"

• Love 7
3 hours ago, LanceM said:

I seem to recall Michael telling them he was 23 but I forget if that was from the show or from one of the pre-season interviews.

So being 23 and watching since he was 13 = 20 seasons!  It seemed like nothing to me when he said it but I am old - it probably sounds like more to the other players.

3 hours ago, North of Eden said:

*And I don't' know what movie or tv show I got this from but the dullard that is "SeaBass" was speaking at TC I was reminded of one of the best lines ever. "Six million sperm and you're the one that got through!" Truth! He seems like such a vacant wastrel...do not like him.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!  Love this - especially the term vacant wastrel!!!!! hee hee

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Oh, and Stephanie didn't play a game for a Cursed Idol. Do the players have to break the urns in order? That's been bugging me.

It seems they do - Stephanie counted them "One two three four five" before breaking number five.

• Love 3

I was pretty certain they were setting up Michael for a return with that confessional... only for Stephanie to unceremoniously get the axe. She'll definitely be back because she got an amazing amount of screen-time considering she almost literally did nothing. 

Unfortunately the way this season's going with long sob stories and extra long focus on early boots, I think it's a near guarantee that this game isn't going to significantly improve. Both tribes are dominated by big alliances of boring people and I won't be shocked if we're in for a straight up pagonging come merge time.  

Once again, I have to say this probably the worst start I can ever remember to a Survivor season. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Do the players have to break the urns in order? That's been bugging me.

Me too.

6 hours ago, LanceM said:

To answer the question above yes it has been confirmed that they have to break the urns in order at Ghost Island.

I really REALLY don’t like that; such a setup is on its knees and begging all night long for some Production manipulation.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, eskimo said:

AGREED!  Five people sent to GI, one game played.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want 20 idols floating around, but they played up Ghost Island and it's really turned into nothing so far.  Could it be that they're waiting till after merge to load them up on idols and advantages??   

Yeah it's a big ole dud with HUGE potential to be manipulated to suit their needs. I too don't want a million advantages etc. floating about but what is the point of the place then? "I know we'll set up an elaborate game that, get this, nobody will play!!" WTF? I mean have everyone play, right? They don't need to win the SuperIdol or anything, how about "you win a steak! Enjoy!" Something anything. This season is crying out for something to actually happen and it's making the huge thud that is Ghost Island even louder.

• Love 23
5 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I felt for her as well because I have the male version of the resting bitch face.  I am not even sure what one would call it or if it even has a name.   All I know is I constantly have people asking me if I am mad and I am like..."Uh no, this is just my face."

So glad to see Stephanie gone, the whole single mom thing was getting annoying.  She also seemed a tad bit cocky when she had actual power on her original tribe.

This cast has been totally blah thus far.  I am still having a hard time retaining names.  I really wish they would bring back the opening credits again.  Maybe then I would actually be able to retain people's names.

How about "resting curmudgeon face"? 

I'm glad Stephanie is gone too and I've only seen 2 episodes, so I don't know these people too well.  Donathon struck me as pretty dopey, right up until he was missing his mama and his mammaw.  It was corny, but heartfelt.  I did feel for Chris as he empathized.  I was surprised to see that layer of depth to him (with his story of his own mother's illness), though it did seem that he was all talk, no listen.  I hope that there was more on Donathon's part in the share time.   Sebastian is very odd.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, kikaha said:

The sob stories were all production had to work with this episode.  No real strategies, no betrayals or backstabbing, no hidden idols to shake up the fearsome fivesome.  Just unilateral surrender and begging. 

What a boring episode. 

Agreed. That said, there are ways to tell the stories that are effective and ways that annoy. Donathon gets chocked up by the coffee and pastries because it reminds him of his Grandma and Mom who he cares for. He goes for a walk so that he can get his emotions under control. Person who I cannot remember her name comes over to check on him, which was great on her part. I loved her approach "Hey I can see that you are struggling. Do you want to talk about it or be alone?" I love that she expressed concern but knew that Donathan should be able to choose to discuss it and handled it in a graceful manner. I thought it was a great moment which showed Donathan's life and Whats her faces concern. It could help forge a tighter connection between the two of them and could explain a vote at final tribal.

Then there are the Ghost Island reveals and the confessionals. They feel so very forced by Production. They do not feel like something coming from game play or conditions but something forced. They very rarely succeed in tugging at my heart strings and tend to make me role my eyes. There are a few times were I like the confessionals used in this way, Jeremy's explanation for why he wasn't telling people his wife was pregnant at home and Lung Cancer Guy Who Won the Game who was struggling with being there when he knew his Mom was dying but she wanted him to play and he didn't want to turn it into a game thing.

But really, leave the family stuff/ sob story stuff for real game play and not as something dragged out of contestants by Production. I can also see where some folks use the confessionals as a therapy session because they need to get stuff off their chest.

I am rooting for Michael. He is playing a good game and seems to be like a good dude. I am impressed with his game play and strategy, more so because he is 18 and playing at a higher level then everyone else.

I cannot wait for the Bradley and Chris boots. Chris is just that over the top jock who thinks he is all that. He is a very good athlete but I have not seen much else out of him. He is awful with strategy and he is playing the game personally. I was annoyed with his "I want the chocolate one" and his insistence that he should get what he wants. I get it, he smoked Sebastian in the baseball toss but I would expect that a collegiate level pitcher should be able to, well, pitch with a good deal of accuracy. So while it looked great, the truth is he did the job he trained himself to do for the better part of 14 years, counting Little League play. Yay you. Show me some game. All you have done is be a jock, be pissed with Dom for seeing through your BS, and try to boss people around. His attempt to talking to Donathon was so awful because he made it about him and not Donathon.

Bradley is an ass. A chinless ass. He so wants to be a great strategic player and he never will be.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Mumbles said:

When people try to rationalize why they should not be voted off by saying "this has been my dream" I roll my eyes because it's every contestant's dream.

I hadn't really noticed how much Steph talked about her kids until last night and I think the extra emphasis on her story was due to her impending boot.  But when she couldn't come up with a decent answer to Probst's question about why she shouldn't be voted out, she lost me.  Her fumbling remarks about it being her dream did not help her cause.  Any of them would have said the same thing.  Was she expecting someone to volunteer to fall on the sword for her so she could stay in?  Sorry, toots, they are ALL picturing winning the million.

The sob stories don't bother me so much.  Everyone has a hook and if it's sick grandma or a bunch of starving kids it helps differentiate all those people.

Besides the disappointment of so many "no games for you" messages on Ghost Island, I'm annoyed by the concept that items are cursed and need to be exorcised or some such cheesy nonsense..

29 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Bradley is an ass

I cannot wait for his smug, tiny mouthed face to get off my tv.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Mumbles said:

It's such a ridiculously self-centered thing to turn around and say to a group of people who have the very same dream.   Stephanie seemed to think they would all go, "Oh!  She really wants to win the title of Sole Survivor and the million!  I'm just here for the swimming.  I'll let her stay."  That's the me-me-me vibe I had from Stephanie throughout the game and it makes me think her claim of,  "I left my husband and that proves I'm a strong woman," while it could mean he was cruel and abusive, could just mean he wouldn't let her have her way about everything so she ran home to Mommy.  In which case "strong woman," doesn't really apply.  As for leaving her religion, meh, most people grow-up and make their own decisions about those things, it's not that special.

Of course I'm not really happy to have Stephanie and her boobs eliminated because she was my person to TV-hate this season.  Now what?

• Love 10

There are some religions that are harder to leave then others. The Mormon faith seems to fall into that category. I know of people who had a family member marry into the Mormon faith and told of how the saw less and less of their loved one and how they were unable to fully participate in the religious ceremony because only Mormon's are allowed in the Temple. There are stories of people being shunned because they left the faith. It is not Scientology level actions but it is far easier for me to have walked away from the Catholic Church then it has been for people who have left the Mormon faith. I am not thrilled to hear this pop up this week but I suspect that it was Production driven. We have already heard about being single Mom and being strong for the kids. It is almost like Production felt they needed to add another layer.

I am never impressed by the "This is my dream" precisely because it is everyone's dream. If you cannot come up with a better reason then that then you deserve to go. Michael was able to articulate some good reasons to keep him. He discussed wanting to win challenges and earn the five's trust in him as he helps them win. He was calm and offered game reasons to stay as well as saying it was something he wanted to do his whole life. Mind you, there are easy counters to Michael's response. There is a good reason for Bradley and comp to remove Michael. They have enough of a lead in the numbers that they can toss challenges and purge the three non-alliance members. That should get them close to the merge, possibly to the merge. Take out the threats while you can.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I entered this episode caring for neither Stephanie nor Jenna.  But I appreciate Stephanie's strength for leaving LDS, and I totally get Jenna because I have a larger "personal space" than most, and I suffer from resting bitchy face.

I find this so annoying really, why do people have to apologise for how their face looks.  Someone could be ill, have had years of bad health or bad sleep, how are they supposed to smile at everybody?  This RBF phrase is just ridiculous as it makes it a joke, as is to try and point out that it's somebody's fault for having a face others don't like when it is more just the shallowness of other people that is at fault and that indeed helps to isolate people.

Anyway these personal stories often feel manipulative and more part of the editor's agenda than a natural occurance, and it's about time they had people making up completely false stories as at least that would make things a bit spicier.

Didn't they have time to look for an idol?

Putting all on Steph seemed an unnecessary risk to me, if only she'd got something at that pointless Ghost Island, kept it on her person and then surprised them all.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, princelina said:

So being 23 and watching since he was 13 = 20 seasons!  It seemed like nothing to me when he said it but I am old - it probably sounds like more to the other players.

Exactly, 20 seasons.  That's a lot.  I inhaled 20 seasons of Survivor in a summer, and trust me, that's enough.  That's enough for a lifetime.  Anyways, I'd say lifelong or whatever the heck I had to say to gain some sympathy and hopefully stay in the game.   To someone young, I could totally see how 20 seasons feels like a lifetime.  

3 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

I find this so annoying really, why do people have to apologise for how their face looks.  Someone could be ill, have had years of bad health or bad sleep, how are they supposed to smile at everybody?  This RBF phrase is just ridiculous as it makes it a joke, as is to try and point out that it's somebody's fault for having a face others don't like when it is more just the shallowness of other people that is at fault.

I think a lot of people agree with you, and lately there's been a huge rebellion especially from women, where for example anytime a male politician or male critic says something about a famous woman not being nice or smiley enough, he is attacked for days on Twitter, much to my amusement.

You've definitely touched on something I think about a lot, which is the silly mundanities of life and social conventions that everyone accepts, for example as you said, the shallowness of people who NEED other people, especially women, to look smiley, instead of analyzing their own personal deficiency in needing that.  

In terms of Jenna, it's pretty cool and self-aware that she knows people judge her on this, and on Survivor, everything is magnified that much more and time goes by that much faster so she knows she'll be judged.  But I guess it could work two ways!  Somebody like Stephanie or Michael had targets on their back because their faces (and well, actions) made them seem much more "with it".  People already think Jenna is kind of stupid (i.e. Bradley) so in this game it can be very good to be underestimated.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

Chris, in the other hand, does not come across as sympathetic.

Chris has gotten wind that some of his tribe mates are unhappy with him. His little "bonding" session with Donathan was simply strategy, to try and get Don back on his side. Perhaps smart game play, squicky move as a human being. 

10 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

The second thing I'm thinking of is when someone says original Manolo or original Naviti I still have no idea who makes up those groups, since they mixed them up too soon.

I'm with you there. It was way too soon, and I'm struggling to keep past and current alliances in my mind. Hell, I STILL don't even know who some of the players are. Last night when making the GI decision, I thought they opted to send someone named "Ross". I kept yelling, "Who the hell is Ross??" until my sons told me they were going to "rocks". (To be fair, I was writing something down, so when I looked up and saw them drawing rocks I got it.) But it just shows how hard this one has been to get into; that I actually thought there COULD be someone named Ross and I just didn't remember him....ala Chelsea, Libby, etc. 

10 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Ok cool, the numbers weren't really what made me chuckle though, it was the "lifelong" thing. Whether it's 5 years or 10 years makes no difference in terms of what amuses me. (I'm easily amused.)

It's the WAY he says it. Last night he was all, "I've been a fan since I was THIRTEEN" - like that was sooo long ago. I had just got done telling my boys I've been watching since I was 20 and they were all, "He's been watching even longer than you, mom." No, kids. I am 38. I started watching with season one. I've been watching since it BEGAN. This kid......And I LIKE Michael. But, c'mon....

• Love 4
9 hours ago, preeya said:

"I'm so close to the $mil, only TWENTY-FIVE DAYS to go"

Bye bye, Stephanie.

Right? It's not like this was final 5 or something. You're not really close at all. 

• Love 2

I think that one of the reasons they kept Michael (who I like) is that they all of a sudden realized that they might have to turn on their own alliance if they keep losing challenges (not knowing when/if a swap or merge might happen).  If they are unclear as to what is happening on the other tribe they might reason that their original tribe would still have the numbers once they merge.  It was a valid point that if they keep losing they could eventually end up on the block once they run out of the minority tribe members.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Stephanie's spiel on Ghost Island,  Also, while I don't want to question her sincerity, anyone else feel like during that whole bit she sounded like she was reading a script off cue cards or something? It just came across very stiff and staged - like a story she practiced for ITM's in preparation of her big reality show moment. 

they hadn't shown the scenes of Sebastian and Jenna that were previewed last week, and really much of anything with Malolo, I knew they were going to lose. 

Yes, from looking at  Stephanie's twitter, instagram, survivor interviews it seems to me that she is very into her journey, and part of that is single momdom, but there is more about solo hiking, adventure, finding strength, etc.  Its like production says give us your story and she starts to talk about that and they are like no no - your relatable sob story, talk about your kids.  Her whole arc from strong chipper happy player to sobbing please don't vote for me thing just seems faked, but not by her.  

The editing of the Jenna/Sebastian thing was awful.  It was like a bad porn scene.  "I'll braid your hair if you dont vote me out" "I thought you were bad at hair braiding"  Oh No, I am can braid hair like crazy" "well ok, then" and off they go to braid hair........................

Its really hard for me to not keep swapping out adjectives like suck etc. 

12 hours ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

Bradley has the same tiny mouth as Damien Lewis.   Sebastian comes across as just so derpy.  

I wish I knew how to do screen shots and post them.  At various points Kellyn's mouth was all pursed together and looked just like Bradley's.  The two of them with tiny lipless mouths and big teeth.  EEEEEeeeeeeee get me out of here.  And yea, I know Brendan said there is more to Sea Bass but I haven't seen it yet.  

12 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I'd like to see them more organically incorporated into the show. At this point, I cringe about Ghost Island because I know somebody is going to go there and sob out their guts over their personal lives, in varying degrees of sadness. I love Ghost Island to relive the history, but they've used it as shorthand for character development, which is really shorthand for "these people will cry and you will like them, darn you!!!" and it's just awkward.

Now every time we go to Ghost Island, it's like "Outwit. Outplay. Outsob."

Yes, now that it has been confirmed that they (1)  have to break the urns in order (2) are not actually getting anything (??? wtf over) this is a huge set up for additional extra personal, extra sobby story time confessionals which is so annoying because you know the last half is where all the idols and advantages are so it will be like some crazy advantage palooza  where we will all be going what?  Manipulating the game. Stacking the deck.  Hate it.  

11 hours ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

However, Donathon's story makes me somewhat sad.   He's the grandchild who has become the de facto caretaker of his grandmother (and I believe he said his mom was disabled).   I believe the grandmother has had a series of strokes?  He said that no one else would take on the responsibility.    He's youngish, but he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders and to me that's wrong.    I just see Donathon as being somewhat trapped, although it's clear he loves his family.

Yea.  Donathan lives in an area of the country where you have to drive 4 hours to find a town bigger than a thousand and those towns are few and far between. An area hugely conservative, hugely poor with no employment, he is gay and he is taking care of two disabled women in a trailer I'm assuming all on soc security disability.  Probst mentioned something about his family not treating him well.  At the time I wondered if that was related to his sexual orientation but maybe its related to no one being willing to help with the mom and grandmom leaving it all on him.  I mean, its a fairly crappy hand.  I doubt he wins but I want him to win just because the money would definately have the most impact for a nice kid who sure could use a leg up.  

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

They feel so very forced by Production. They do not feel like something coming from game play or conditions but something forced. They very rarely succeed in tugging at my heart strings and tend to make me role my eyes.

Yes again, this whole no game for you Ghost Island confessional episode after episode is so set up by production I don't understand why.  Probst being producer and showrunner is ruining the show.  

1 hour ago, amazingracefan said:

Didn't they have time to look for an idol?

Was wondering this myself.  I hope to God that I read in some post game interview that we hear they didn't show how Stephanie, Jenna and Michael looked and looked for an idol.  Because Michael's should be back in play right?  They all know they are on the block who cares if the 5 see them out looking?  Especially since they don't seem to be trying to turn someone.  Of course they should be out scouring like mad, why wasn't that shown? 

Also was disappointed in why they didn't try to get Sebastian to flip.  I mean sure why would someone in the numbers flip IDK, it would be pretty hard to change someone's mind but as long as Jenna is doing the whole 'I'll braid your hair" thing (eye roll) and Sebastian is busy keeping the target off Jenna why not at least try to get him to flip?  

Something just seemed off about that lack of trying to find a crack.  Really off.  

I tried to quote someone up thread about how this season really emphasizes how much about luck Survivor is.  Stephanie is really a case in point.  

She is doing pretty good

whoops tribe swap , bad end of the numbers, and goes to TC, barely survives

Ghost Island - no game for you

Tribe loses again, gets voted out because of numbers and Jenna's abillity to braid hair

next episode - tribe swap - had she made it what would have happened?  

How manipulated is the show?  I've never wondered so much as this episode has got me thinking.  

Chris is a challenge god.  Every challenge he works like someone has a shock collar on him.  And what was up with that hit the spinning tgt challenge?  If they didn't have Chris they would have been out there all day.  Have they ever had a challenge that no one could make work?  Like, ok, um, lets draw straws instead.  He had to hit the target, while still spinning from the first hit, again to get enough speed for the flag to raise.  And th flag didn't seem like it wanted to go up  even with the second hit.  Who was going to be able to do that?  And honestly it didn't even look like SeaBass was trying.  

Are we 3 votes from the merge?  Does the 5 want to get rid of all of the 3 before the merge?  Were they throwing the challenge? 

Sea Bass and Chris were in an alliance though, could Sea Bass have thrown it to keep Chris around?  Or was that the food challenge?  I can't remember.  

As to JP being all over man bro Chris, I'm not so sure about that.  Sure he was excited about Chris's throwing how could he not be?  But he looked really irritated by having to ask about throwing rocks.  Sort of made me love Chris even more.  

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Have they actually confirmed that? YES they have

I seem to remember that the first guy at Ghost Island hit the second urn, which allowed him to play the game. No, he hit the first urn

My concern about a requirement to break the urns in order is that there's room for producer shenanigans.  No kidding 

http://www.realitytea.com/2018/03/07/survivor-ghost-island-episode-3-recap-ugly-baby/

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Special K said:

To clear things up:

Michael told them he was 23 and had been watching Survivor for 10 years -- ie, since he was 13, which is what he said at Tribal Council.

Actually, Michael is 18 and has been watching Survivor for 10 years -- ie, since he was 8, which is what he said in a TH.

Being able to be consistent in his lies puts him automatically in the top tier of brainiacs who have played this show.

Ah, I didn't catch that. You're right, he seems well able to remember his lies, while still keeping some of the truth. He HAS been watching for 10 years, so he just adjusted to make it fit the age he is presenting himself as. Good for him. 

• Love 3

Kellyn, with her obnoxious brush-off of Jenna's hand on her shoulder, is just the worst.  It was like:  Bitch, how dare you interfere with my "moment"!  Ugh.  And to make it worse, Kellyn is in the majority alliance and Jenna was on the chopping block -- and still reached out to comfort Kellyn.

Desiree went WAY down in my estimation, rifling through Stephanie's bag.  I thought that wasn't allowed.

Michael.  Sigh.  So beautiful, so wise, so mature.  He is playing Bradley like a fiddle.

While it was exciting to see Chris kill that pitching challenge, it was a total wah-wah to see him in  one-up-manship mode with Donathan.  Way to bond, brother!  My sick mother is sicker than yours, and I cared for her in more undignified ways than you did!

I bet Stephanie left the Mormon church and immediately got breast implants and became a yoga teacher.  And on a shallow note, Desiree is seriously well-endowed, but you can tell they are natural.  Not so much Stephanie.

Bradley, what a tool.  Geez, I hope he doesn't make the merge, or he's going to go all lawyerly on us.  I bet he plotzed when he learned he was outplayed by an 18 year old!

Whoever said that Jenna and Sebastian flirting was like the obligatory porn intro scene -- you are so right! 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, EllipticalAddicted said:

Chris, in the other hand, does not come across as sympathetic.   

I was joking to my spouse during all this that Chris's mom is probably disabled because he beat her with a flashlight. Spouse also thought it was ridiculous that the reward was a Continental Breakfast. All the little tubes on Ghost Island should have a game inside. Not an immunity game, but some sort of reward. Maybe a pastry. It would make Ghost Island more entertaining. Don't reveal what they've won until after the game.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, marys1000 said:

I went to the CBS website and looked at the video.  You're right . . . he hit the first one.  My mistake.  From what I've read online, they required that so that they could determine when certain advantages were introduced into the game.  Still smells like the potential for manipulation.  As the Bible says, "Avoid the very appearance of evil."

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

I was joking to my spouse during all this that Chris's mom is probably disabled because he beat her with a flashlight. Spouse also thought it was ridiculous that the reward was a Continental Breakfast. All the little tubes on Ghost Island should have a game inside. Not an immunity game, but some sort of reward. Maybe a pastry. It would make Ghost Island more entertaining. Don't reveal what they've won until after the game.

I get that Chris isn't very likeable.  But I think he deserves credit for realizing and admitting publically, in pre-interviews etc. that he realized he had been  a total shit about his mother's illness till he was about 17.  And once he realized he has been trying to make up for that both in his relationship with his mother an working for MS.  So self awareness may not come naturally to him but he has some and he does work on it.

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

Yes, from looking at  Stephanie's twitter, instagram, survivor interviews it seems to me that she is very into her journey, and part of that is single momdom, but there is more about solo hiking, adventure, finding strength, etc.  Its like production says give us your story and she starts to talk about that and they are like no no - your relatable sob story, talk about your kids.  Her whole arc from strong chipper happy player to sobbing please don't vote for me thing just seems faked, but not by her.  

Stephanie got the, "it's not her, it's production" excuse last week so I was watching for signs of it -- choppy editing, statements that seemed to be following a question -- and I didn't get any hints of that.  Instead, Stephanie seemed to be  rattling on without pause.  Mostly, I just can't see production squelching any talk about solo hiking, adventures or  or finding strength, because historically they love that stuff.  Any sort of growth arc, either on or before the show is one of their favorite things.  All that is just part of the me-me-me personality I saw in Stephanie.  To me, hiking and training for competitive sports events are ultimately fun hobbies that cost money and take her away from her children, not great signs of strength or sacrifice. The next time someone describes herself repeatedly, as a strong woman, I want to hear about how she nursed her father through cancer or put herself through med school by working the night shift at the meat packing plant.  I'm just tired of woman like Stephanie claiming the title for herself based on -- not much really.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Special K said:

Whoever said that Jenna and Sebastian flirting was like the obligatory porn intro scene -- you are so right! 

Ew. He told her that her hair smelled like a dead weasel. If that's flirting.....

• Love 12

Just watching the episode now. I like how Malolo is discussing the last tribal council. Everybody's being nice! Although it's fun sometimes to see someone totally lose it and have a big blowup (if it's someone you don't like).

Not sure if coffee is a great reward since it dehydrates you.  Wow Chris is a throwing beast. All that coffee and rolls is going to give them the shakes - caffeine and sugar. At least they aren't doing the Immunity challenge right afterwards.

Stephanie and Kellyn should have switched places on Ghost Island. Stephanie would have gone for it. Hmm, seems like old Malolo on new Malolo are going to be fractured soon. James wants to go with Chris while Laurel wants to work with Domenick. I wonder if Domenick's family will help out with his mom and grandmother after hearing him talk about it on TV. Now Chris is going to employ Machiavellian strategy in noticing Dom's distress and sympathizing with him by telling his story about helping his mother. He's probably sincere in what he's saying but it's all part of strategy.

That "surfing" in the Immunity challenge looks like so much fun. I bet Desiree doesn't agree. Malolo is like a comedy of errors in this challenge. I don't know why, but I am cheering for Naviti. Yes! They win! And Kellyn cries,

Edited by Lamb18

With the exception of Donathan's, I wouldn't even call them "sob stories," so much as, "perfectly ordinary stories told in an overly dramatic fashion." Kellyn and Stephanie holding back proud tears while talking about how they got a divorce/don't go to church anymore and have a job now -- just like billions of other people -- is maybe a bit of an overestimate regarding the scope of their life accomplishments and intestinal fortitude. Chris claiming that he takes care of his mom who lives in an assisted living facility (which means she takes care of herself for the most part with occasional help from the staff; otherwise she'd be in a nursing home) is kind of gross especially when he's telling this to Donathan who's a full-time caretaker for his grandma, with some help from his disabled mom. Those are two radically different situations. Chris has the luxury of visiting when it suits him; Donathan is on the job 24/7. I'm glad he got the chance to play Survivor now; I don't know what his grandma's health is, but it's reasonable to assume she's only going to get worse and that in a year or two, he might not have the ability to go away for a few weeks.

4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Chris is just that over the top jock who thinks he is all that. He is a very good athlete but I have not seen much else out of him. He is awful with strategy and he is playing the game personally. I was annoyed with his "I want the chocolate one" and his insistence that he should get what he wants.

Oh god, the chocolate one. He mentioned it before the challenge, "called it" after the challenge, and then that weird little thing back at camp where he said, "I really want the chocolate one, but if you all want to split it up equally, then I'm perfectly fine with that," while his Manson lamps and bared teeth fake smile showed that not only would he not be fine that, but he would hold a grudge forever if he didn't get it all to himself. Though it did look like James was eating a chocolate croissant at one point, so I don't know if there was more than one or if Chris just didn't get his way. I hope it's the latter; I like to think of Chris thwarted.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I still love Chris. He is a fucking laugh riot to me. You guys, the rap. COME ON!

That was both the best and worst thing that's ever happened on this show. "I'm like a diamond in the rough, do you see me glow? This ain't pay-per-view, it's a free show." If I'm ever on Survivor, the story of my inner strength will be that I listened to that whole thing including "Mic drop!" without peeing myself laughing.

11 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Resting Asshole Face!

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 18

My two sons were college pitchers too and I could tell from the moment I saw Chris throwing in the challenge that he was a skilled baseball player in his past.  He didn't panic in the moment -- he zoned in on the target and performed so well.  It was cool to watch.  He's such a mixture of things -- big ego, surely due to his looks and athleticism, and trying overly hard to grow up well after an emotional, roller coaster upbringing (I appreciate that side of him).  I don't dislike Chris on the show but he would not be someone I'd seek out in real life.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 15

Now why isn't "Smells Like a Dead Weasel" the name of this episode? And Bradley is being a little friendlier to Malolo, sort of. Like he turned on the Be Friendly or Else They'll Vote You Out switch hidden on his back under his shirt.

If I played Survivor I'd have my bag with me at all times.  It would be nice if there was a surprising blindside at tribal council but I doubt that's going to happen.

Shut up, Kellyn! Stop trying to be profound. Now if old Malolo was smart, they would choose one person to vote for, then plead their individual cases hoping that old Naviti are split in who they vote for. (But they didn't listen to my advice.) When Chelsea has that thoughtful, slightly frowning, pondering expression on her face she looks like Shirin. So Michael's watched Survivor for about the same period of time I have - five years.

And good-bye, Stephanie!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

With the exception of Donathan's, I wouldn't even call them "sob stories," so much as, "perfectly ordinary stories told in an overly dramatic fashion." Kellyn and Stephanie holding back proud tears while talking about how they got a divorce/don't go to church anymore and have a job now -- just like billions of other people -- is maybe a bit of an overestimate regarding the scope of their life accomplishments and intestinal fortitude.

This had me laughing out loud.  And yet no one beats the insufferable melodrama that is Andrew Savage, getting his WHOLE TRIBE to break down into tears just describing walking into the same room as his future wife.

Can I get an award?  I don't go to church anymore either.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Special K said:

And yet no one beats the insufferable melodrama that is Andrew Savage, getting his WHOLE TRIBE to break down into tears just describing walking into the same room as his future wife.

Ha ha. His supermodel future wife who felt the undeniable sexual chemistry with him and his designer suit.

• Love 13