Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E05: A Diamond in the Rough

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Reminder: there is no preview talk in episode threads.  Any mention of the previews in your posts will cause the posts to be removed.  Previews can be discussed here: 

Aw. I thought Steph and Jenna were going to be a winning team.  They seemed like such players early on.  But I will shallowly admit I really didn't want Michael to go.  It's a shame, the four people on (I can't remember tribe names, sorry) including Brendan, I really liked, possibly because they were actually shown to me so I kind of got to know them.  Meh.  Damn shame.  Oh well.  We move on and we see how the next part of the show takes shape.  

Michael's gorgeous, nice to see him stay.

The surfing challenge and Probst's reactions to it made me laugh and cheer.  Really enjoyed that.

Chris DID do a freestyle rap, right?  Jeff having orgasms over him in the RC was hilarious.  And then Chris saying something like "Yes, I've tossed a rock" and Jeff responding "........... meaning what?"  Even as a baseball fan I was like buddy wtf are you talking about.  

Desiree has a nice body and all, but man, I was scandalized by her going through Steph's stuff.  That fivesome.  Ugh.  All doing that chinless man's bidding.

Can't wait until something finally happens to Bradley and then we can use this

1d8179aed8dd293538f4b1776f98bc52.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 22

I'll bet Sebastian was wanting to scream STFU at Jeff when he was basically calling him a loser for sucking so bad at the reward challenge. Chris was a beast. 

I'm glad Michael survived the boot. Bye Stephanie, you were annoying AF. 

• Love 21
1 minute ago, NYGirl said:

What's with the sob stories this season?  Ugh..I don't want to know this stuff...just play the game.

I found someone to root for!!!  yay!!! Michael!!!!

I hate when people go through other people's belongings.  It shouldn't be allowed.  

I agree, I have never liked it when people go through others belongings.

Also I’ll agree with everyone here about Michael.  Got nervous he was a goner tonight.

I blame Adam and Ben for being two winners thanks to sob stories Andy starting the trend.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Although I did chuckle at him saying that Survivor was a lifelong fandom for him and he's been watching since he was 13. That's only 5 years, dude.

Oh come on.  I thought that was an intentional lie about his age.  For example, if he was 13 when the show premiered, he'd be 30 now, which is all fine and good.  He doesn't WANT the contestants to know he's 18.

6 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I hate those 5 smug assholes. 

For you, @Haleth.

giphy.gif

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I'll bet Sebastian was wanting to scream STFU at Jeff when he was basically calling him a loser for sucking so bad at the reward challenge. 

Sebastian really has been bad at challenges.  He screwed the beanbag one up this week and was bad at the basketballs on the ledge one last week.  J

Pagongings are boring. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 16

Very sad to see Steph go tonight but the writing was on the wall.  As one of them said tonight Jenna was harmless whereas Stephanie and Michael are not.  Step just lost the coin flip.

As far as the sob stories go, yeah they can be a little annoying at times but would people rather hear nothing at all about the players personal lives?  Would you rather watch a bunch of robots play>  Just curious.

• Love 7

Michael is like an adorable  puppy to me,  he's so young to be taking on survivor. 

Pretty dull episode for me,  hate predictable votes.  

Oh,  the purple tribe has two players who were athletes in college,  plus that awesome tall lanky black guy who kicked butt in the challenge.  I know none of the names.... but that seems to be helping them.  

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I'll bet Sebastian was wanting to scream STFU at Jeff when he was basically calling him a loser for sucking so bad at the reward challenge. Chris was a beast. 

I'm glad Michael survived the boot. Bye Stephanie, you were annoying AF. 

LOL, Sebastian is on his own planet.  He's so weird and interesting. He reacts exactly the opposite of how I predict humans react to anything.  I'm sure he was fine.

• Love 9

Pretty uneventful night. Naviti is sweeping the challenges. So I hope there's a shakeup soon. 

I didn't mind Stephanie, and would have preferred Jenna go, but I'm really rooting for Michael. So I was just glad to see him stay around. 

• Love 10

Nice start with Bradley squirming.  Like a nightcrawler.  Michael comes clean with his strategy.  Well thought out.  Scares weasel boy even more.  They need immunity tonight. (sigh)

Chris killed that reward challenge.  The bragging TH was a bit much......

Sugar and caffeine.  Two of the seven major food groups!

Donathon crying about leaving granny behind.  This has annoyed me for years.  You people know what you are signing up for!  Chris moves in.  Smart not to depend on the old Navitis.  He seems to realize he's a target of Dom.

I believe in you Steph.  Your escape story has shot you to the top of my fave list. (but enough with the kids.....)

Why send Chelsea again?  Not that it mattered.

Invisible Jenna appears and shows why she shouldn't be seen again.  She and Sea Bass are disgusting.  Deal with your own hair dude.

This Naviti 5 is getting on my last nerve here.  Quite the tearful edit with Michael.  

Nasty bag searching, Desiree.  And you got nothing.  "So that proves she's hiding something somewhere."  In those baggy shorts she's wearing.  This insane thinking is driving me insane.

After all that round and round bla bla bla, Desiree informs us it was all in the can and none of this mattered.

(Heavy violins for all of Steph's votes).  Well, she can go see her kids and not be trapped at Ponderosa and we never need to hear from her again.  I wish her well.

Would have rather Jenna gone, whatever, maybe her "showmance" will get her out next.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I hate when people go through other people's belongings.  It shouldn't be allowed.  

YES. Desiree is now on my shit list. Not cool. 

6 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Very sad to see Steph go tonight but the writing was on the wall.  As one of them said tonight Jenna was harmless whereas Stephanie and Michael are not.  Step just lost the coin flip.

As far as the sob stories go, yeah they can be a little annoying at times but would people rather hear nothing at all about the players personal lives?  Would you rather watch a bunch of robots play>  Just curious.

They don't bother me, in general. I like knowing about people's lives. It makes them relatable. I think it depends on the person, though. Some people can be just TOO Eeyore about it, or come across like they are really exploiting their loved ones. I suppose that's all a personal preference thing, though. 

• Love 15

Really,Jenna, Survivor is not meant to be your therapist. No one gives a shit about breaking down your walls and making you a more open and receptive human being. They are there to win a million dollars. And, you didn't even braid Sebastian's hair after all that!

• Love 15

The sob stories just seem over the top. I'm sure some people on Survivor have had legit struggles. Others are born into privilege quite frankly. Plus it's just so overdone and magnified for entertainment. I had to mute parts -Jenna and Steph

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh come on.  I thought that was an intentional lie about his age.  For example, if he was 13 when the show premiered, he'd be 30 now, which is all fine and good.  He doesn't WANT the contestants to know he's 18.

lol there's NO way Michael told them he was 30. Even if he told them mid-20s, that's still not a lifelong anything.

I seem to recall Michael telling them he was 23 but I forget if that was from the show or from one of the pre-season interviews.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, LanceM said:

I seem to recall Michael telling them he was 23 but I forget if that was from the show or from one of the pre-season interviews.

It was in the first episode. I just rewatched it a couple days ago. 

• Love 4

I entered this episode caring for neither Stephanie nor Jenna.  But I appreciate Stephanie's strength for leaving LDS, and I totally get Jenna because I have a larger "personal space" than most, and I suffer from resting bitchy face.

• Love 9

The music at tribal...did the producers really love Stephanie? I’ve never heard such doom music before. She didnt bother me with the kid talk too much. Maybe all the producers/camerapeople missed their kids too and liked that she talked about it so much? Who knows.

goddamn it was so cool when Chris dominated that challenge and then he went right back to bein a self centered douche with Donathan.  Donathan is the easiest person on the tribe to get along with and even he was like “well, i guess Chris tried”

laurel is awesome and my pick to win. 

Naviti is so much more inherently  Interesting than Malolo. 

• Love 12

Now that I know who Chelsea is, I find her strikingly similar to Lena Headey (Cersei, Game of Thrones).  I kept waiting for her to sneer at everyone.

1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Seriously, who the hell is this Jenna person??

Michael is quickly becoming my favourite. He handled the aftermath of the last TC perfectly. No bull, no attitude, just owned up to his lie about the idol with a good-natured "Hey man, I had to give it a shot. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings." Doesn't seem like he alienated anyone. He seems much wiser than I was at that age. (Or possibly at my current age.) Although I did chuckle at him saying that Survivor was a lifelong fandom for him and he's been watching since he was 13. That's only 5 years, dude.

Stephanie, on the other hand, was on my last nerve. "As a single mom, I only have myself to rely on." Well, clearly you're relying on somebody unless you left your kids at home alone for months while you went on a reality show. I'm not sad to see her go.

It was particularly funny considering he'd already given a talking head in which he said he's been a fan of the show for ten years. 

1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

What's with the sob stories this season?  Ugh..I don't want to know this stuff...just play the game.

I found someone to root for!!!  yay!!! Michael!!!!

I agree.  I remember being angry when Lisa Whelchel "accidentally" found Malcolm's idol in his bag.  And I don't even like Malcolm.

3 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Random thoughts on episode 5 "Wahhhh!"

• Oy, the "loved ones" episode is going to be brutal
  • I found Stephanie's "yay, me!" proclamations much more bearable by mentally adding "and my huge boobs" to the end of her sentences
  • I don't drink coffee and dislike pastries, so Chris Sale's performance at the challenge would not have mattered to me (even as genuinely impressive as it was)
  • For the first time in a season and a half, no one had an idol, advantage, legacy, fake idol, fake advantage, fake legacy, probstian pardon, or ancient talisman.  The streak is at 1.

Those are huge?  I can't imagine what you think of Desiree.

• Love 6

I really dislike this cast. There's no one to root for. Did the head of casting retire after last season? It's all I think about when the episode is on because this group of mopes ain't doing it for me. The second thing I'm thinking of is when someone says original Manolo or original Naviti I still have no idea who makes up those groups, since they mixed them up too soon.

What a dud season. I don't think it's just off to a slow start ... I think it's just bad. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, GenerationX said:

Random thoughts on episode 5 "Wahhhh!"

• Oy, the "loved ones" episode is going to be brutal
  • I found Stephanie's "yay, me!" proclamations much more bearable by mentally adding "and my huge boobs" to the end of her sentences
  • I don't drink coffee and dislike pastries, so Chris Sale's performance at the challenge would not have mattered to me (even as genuinely impressive as it was)
  • For the first time in a season and a half, no one had an idol, advantage, legacy, fake idol, fake advantage, fake legacy, probstian pardon, or ancient talisman.  The streak is at 1.

Yes, the big fake boobs were a distraction, it is usually not so glaring until the contestants loose weight, but right out of the gate Stephanie’s were front and center.  I also think her hair color was fake, it kept bugging me and I almost wanted her to stay to see what color her roots were.  Yes, I am shallow.

• Love 13
30 minutes ago, LanceM said:

27 minutes ago, EVS said:

It was in the first episode. I just rewatched it a couple days ago. 

Exactly. He was keeping his story straight. He has told them he was 23, and we know the first season he watched was ten years ago, so he just said he was 13 instead of 8. 

• Love 17

In the hands of a more skilled editing team tonight's boot wouldn't have been telegraphed. I mean c'mon...when we got Stepanie's full bio including the fact she quit the Mormon faith when she was at Ghost Island could there have been any doubt she was leaving? Many times we suddenly get the complete dossier on a castaway because their time is up.

Anyway I amused myself when I kept making a lot of movie connections with what I was seeing on screen. Here are a few.

*Bradley is right out of Central Casting for the stuffy, A-hole current boyfriend/fiance who must inevitably be jilted in every Romantic Comedy ever made.

*The Castaways being pulled through the water was reminiscent of the scene in Jaws 2 where the boyfriend is propelled through the water by the shark before being yanked under taking a piece of the sailboat amidst a bubble of blood. (Is that a spoiler for a 40-year-old movie LOL)

*Loved, absolutely loved the Rube Goldberg crank they were using to pull them. Looked like something Doc Brown would have constructed in Back to the Future III.

*Suddenly it hit me that Jenna could be the female fraternal twin to movie star Will Poulter.

*And I don't' know what movie or tv show I got this from but the dullard that is "SeaBass" was speaking at TC I was reminded of one of the best lines ever. "Six million sperm and you're the one that got through!" Truth! He seems like such a vacant wastrel...do not like him.

*Has all that HYDRA imagery with the octopus been on all season? This is the first time I noticed that it was EVERYWHERE...Probst being HYDRA could well explain some of his evil actions like throwing the three Malolo under the bus right after they lost the IC by basically calling out/taunting that they were dead men walking.

To close out I began bagging on the editors but they did have one moment where Jeff says something like "So and so are both flagging/exhausted/winded and immediately cuts to the woman still on the beach and the man already out on the platform. Jeff I don't think the dude was that exhausted.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

The sob stories were all production had to work with this episode.  No real strategies, no betrayals or backstabbing, no hidden idols to shake up the fearsome fivesome.  Just unilateral surrender and begging. 

What a boring episode. 

Edited by kikaha
spoiler
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Shadow Wave said:

Exactly. He was keeping his story straight. He has told them he was 23, and we know the first season he watched was ten years ago, so he just said he was 13 instead of 8. 

Ok cool, the numbers weren't really what made me chuckle though, it was the "lifelong" thing. Whether it's 5 years or 10 years makes no difference in terms of what amuses me. (I'm easily amused.)

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

In the hands of a more skilled editing team tonight's booty wouldn't have been telegraphed. I mean c'mon...when we got Stepanie's full bio including the fact she quit the Mormon faith when she was at Ghost Island could there have been any doubt she was leaving? Many times we suddenly get the complete dossier on a castaway because their time is up.

I am not sure I agree with that given the fact that Stephanie has been one of the most visible female players this season so her getting some personal content at Ghost Island wasn't that surprising at all. Now if it was someone like Jenna or Chelsea getting the "full bio"  than yeah that would be obvious.

• Love 4

*yaaaaaaaaaawnn* Still. Not. Caring. At all. I mean, Donathan has a nice story (in the sense that I feel for the guy), and Stephanie sounds like she's had a rough go of it (divorcing her husband AND her religion). So, of course, she gets voted off. I think Probst had $500 checks into each buff so that Michael (the young guy/great Reunion story) stays in the game. Oh, and Stephanie didn't play a game for a Cursed Idol. Do the players have to break the urns in order? That's been bugging me.

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I was channel flipping and caught the first challenge thing....Probst has such a raging hardon for Chris, it’s embarassing.

Jeff.... you have a WIFE...who’s watching this. 

I'm not even noticing whom Probst has wood for, but I know he has wood. And I'm guessing Mrs. Probst is okay with that, bless her heart.

ETA: Desiree can handle sticking her head underwater while being pull to shore. Good for her, I guess?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 6

I loved the manly growl of "I WANT those PASTRIES!!!" It just seemed so funny to me...

And yeah, I guess that's about my only takeaway from this eppy. Pretty sad. This casting is just doing nothing for me, I see them sitting at tribal and say to myself "I don't care which of you is going today because firstly I dont know who half of you are and the ones I do are no loss..." Kind of a bummer really.

Oh and I hate that someone would just brazenly rifle through someone's bag without a pause. I've never liked that.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 12

I’m having trouble keeping relationships and loyalties straight with the early tribe swap. At least this week I feel like I finally learned most of the players’ names. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Chelsea before!

not liking everyone in underwear. I hope they get some athletic clothes or decent bathing suits soon!  

Really disliked Desiree going through Stephanie‘s bag.  Clearly nothing is off limits. 

Sebastian is fascinatingly weird. I can’t figure out why he looks and talks like that!

• Love 3

Too many sob stories & no game at Ghost Island makes for a boring episode. And, when you add a Pagonging it makes for  an uneventful episode at that. Hopefully, next week we can rebound. 

• Love 8