Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: A New Bundle of Joy/S07.E06: Joy Gives Birth

• Start Topic

Jana wore shorts. On TV. With her family.

Watch out, that slippery slope may lead to girls with shorter hair and proper foot wear.

That seat behind the noodle squat/placenta bowl, is it an infant scale?

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

to ha

Spoiler

Jana wore shorts. On TV. With her family.

Watch out, that slippery slope may lead to girls with shorter hair and proper foot wear.

That seat behind the noodle squat/placenta bowl, is it an infant scale?

Nah, it's a $200 baby swing that connects to wifi so you can control it with your phone. I was gifted a $65.00 swing for my first born and used it with two babies. For my third baby I went to a baby sale and got a used one for $35.00. 

Nice to know about the birthing noodle do- hicky. I assumed the bowl was to catch the baby in case it dropped out. I am totally against Duggar home births but not home births in general. However for me, I like going to the hospital because they clean up all the mess. I don't have to worry about my mixing bowls being tainted forever or assembling birthing pools in my living room. I hate hospitals but I will gladly go there  have my babies thank you very much. 

• Love 12

I was very surprised that Jana was the first sibling Joy called with her news; I thought it would be her sister mom, Jill.  One of the things I enjoyed about the old show was watching Jill’s relationship with her “buddies” – Joy, James and Jennifer.  I’ll never forget James bursting through the crowd to greet her when she returned from Central America and Joy bawling at her wedding.

I had a hard time following the timeline of Joy/Austin wedding, Joe/Kendra wedding and Joy giving birth. One-episode Joy is announcing her pregnancy and the next she is giving birth.   I was shocked to see Kendra sitting on Joe’s lap. It wasn’t until I saw his wedding band that I realized they were already married. I wonder why this season was so compacted.  Given that "Sister Wives" aired for two hours over ten weeks, surely they could have given "Counting On" a couple more weeks.  

• Love 1

The Duggars don't want to give us anything more than wedding planning, weddings, and/or babies anymore. Oh, and the occasional house decorating thrown in for some spice. That's all we've seen for about three "seasons" now. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, rubot333 said:

It's called a birthing stool. It helps the mom sit in the squat position and at the same time give the birth attendants access. You can also hang on to it for balance when you're on your knees. And the bowl is for collecting fluids...but mostly for collecting poop.  

Source: I'm a midwife! But a real one, not a "midwife" like Jill. 

Were you horrified as I was that Dr. Jill, (failure at being a FakeMidwife) was attending? I don't know who else was in the room with Joy but not one of them could tell that Joy was having issues til the last minute?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, rubot333 said:

It's called a birthing stool. It helps the mom sit in the squat position and at the same time give the birth attendants access. You can also hang on to it for balance when you're on your knees. And the bowl is for collecting fluids...but mostly for collecting poop.  

Thanks!

I thought Jana's shorts were board shorts for swimming, since they had been out boating that day. In a few of the past episodes, like the one where they made a slip n' slide on the hill by the TTH, some of the Duggar girls were wearing board shorts and I was pleasantly surprised. At least they weren't wearing those horrendous, ridiculous swimsuits like Anna wore on her honeymoon. I wish I could find a pic online. Or maybe I'm glad I can't. <shudder>

Edited by shoovenbooty
  • Love 6

i will say they were waay smarter than the Browns at Maddie's delivery. At least they knew to get to a hospital.  Maddie was in labor for 80 hours or something at home and pushed for 3-4 hours.  They also referenced her "Hemmoraging" afterwards and NO hospital in sight.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Mountainair said:

Nah, it's a $200 baby swing that connects to wifi so you can control it with your phone. I was gifted a $65.00 swing for my first born and used it with two babies. For my third baby I went to a baby sale and got a used one for $35.00. 

We got the 4moms swing as a gift off our registry (my husband picked it out cause he thought it was cool) and our son doesn't care for it.  What a waste!

I don't mind Joy telling anyone she was pregnant in a text message.

A) She's young and this is how they communicate.

B) It's good news (announcing something bad in text is taboo) and fairly predictable news. 

c) Joy doesn't always seem to like having a lot of eyes on her.

D) She should announce in person so they care stare at her stomach?

If I ever adopt/reproduce, I'm telling people in emails, but I'm older than Joy. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5
On 3/19/2018 at 6:23 PM, mimionthebeach said:

Jana's wearing shorts!

We called those culottes back in the day.  A cross between a knee length skirt and Bermuda shorts.  I wore them circa 1970.  Very fashionable, then.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Temperance said:

I don't mind Joy telling anyone she was pregnant in a text message.

A) She's young and this is how they communicate.

B) It's good news (announcing something bad in text is taboo) and fairly predictable news. 

c) Joy doesn't always seem to like having a lot of eyes on her.

D) She should announce in person so they care stare at her stomach?

If I ever adopt/reproduce, I'm telling people in emails, but I'm older than Joy. 

8 hours ago, Barb23 said:

It just seemed weird that some siblings got texts & others got calls. Wonder what her reasoning was.

I agree with Barb23's comment. Otherwise, to piggyback Temperance's point, I have posted good news things on FB to reach to a bunch of people at once. 

• Love 1
On 3/21/2018 at 5:10 PM, rubot333 said:

What do you think of the midwife or "midwife" team's not determining the baby was breech until 20 hours into labor? 

With my twins, Baby A was double footling breech and Baby B was frank breech. I had monthly ultrasounds, so I knew that was the position. An OB very confidently told me, after palpating my stomach, that Baby A was head down. But two weeks later at the next ultrasound, both babies were in the same position as before, and I hadn't felt any major movement like a flip. So in my own experience I have had an OB not determine the position correctly.

Like others have said, there was no question there were feet literally kicking my butt, but he was double footling breech, so I could probably feel the kicks more clearly. There was also no question Baby B's head was against my ribs.

Thanks!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Barb23 said:

It just seemed weird that some siblings got texts & others got calls. Wonder what her reasoning was.

They all already knew. This was a stupid reenactment for TLC. It was whatever fit into the episode.

14 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

We called those culottes back in the day.  A cross between a knee length skirt and Bermuda shorts.  I wore them circa 1970.  Very fashionable, then.

But not now.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, drafan said:

They all already knew. This was a stupid reenactment for TLC. It was whatever fit into the episode.

But not now.

How soon I forget most of show is reenactments. 

• Love 1

Don't know if this was discussed yet but what do we think about Joy saying Austin was an EMT?  I was reading about it on another site & most of the posters thought he may have had some type of EMT or first aid training at Alert.  Was this ever mentioned before on show? 

Talking about the reenactment thing, I also read that Ben said Jessa told him of Gideon's birth when he came home from work on 2/23 yet he was shown  waiting with the others  at the TTH on the show. 

Was Jessa at the birth? I don't remember seeing her there but then again she may have ended up on the cutting room floor.  

Still would like to know if Joy went by ambulance or was driven to the hospital by car.  Since it was a half hour ride, I'm hoping by ambulance but then there was a good chance there were male EMTs involved which would have seen her lady parts.  

Still remember Anna being so upset she thought she was going to have Marcus in the van on the longer drive to the midwife's. This is when Mechelle held them up & Miss Theresa rode along.

• Love 1

Re letting fam members know you're pregnant, both my daughter-in-law's pregnancies were revealed to us when I offered her a beer and she declined,  huge red flag. Only half kidding, we don't drink that much. Jana looks amazing. Joy looked happy but tired. That baby was huge.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Canadian Girl said:

In the scene where Joy and Austin are planning to go tell the family they're pregnant, it just struck me how much Joy looked like a pimply teenager (which she is), as opposed to a grown woman and wife. I almost cried for her in the episode where she was overwhelmed trying on wedding dresses.  These girls are missing out so much on life. College, independence. Having a baby at 19 would suuuuck. Getting pregnant immediately after getting married would suck too. 

In Duggar Land getting married at 19 and having a baby right away would suck. Happy, normal couples can get pregnant right away within a year of getting married, and have a happy marriage and family. Moving and away from home and going to college is nice too, but in today's world a college education does not mean a good future. I would love to see one Duggar offspring get a real high school education, take a few classes at a local community college, have a full time job, have interests and hobbies without approval from JB and Gothard, and have real friends and social life.

This show has the weirdest timing. Start with actual weddings, then follow up with that wedding planning for weeks on end. Then, Joy announces her pregnancy one week and give birth the next. Did I miss the Joe/Ken announcement? I was tuning in and out. 

Joy did not look well after delivery. I hope she got Chipotle, double the steak. Or something like it. 

• Love 6
On 3/23/2018 at 4:16 PM, xwordfanatik said:

I thought Jana looked amazing, to be honest.  When you have a figure like she does, you can rock just about anything.... including walking shorts (what I have always heard them called)!

• Love 4
On 3/20/2018 at 4:52 AM, Bridget said:

I know Austin (just like most of the Duggars) doesn't know anything  about science (nor does he believe in it), but I think it's so telling about how ignorant he was (as are other non-Duggar folks) when he said: "Twins run on the father's side of the family, so maybe we'll have twins...." (paraphrasing)That's got nothing to do with how many eggs are released and/or fertilized! 

I also noticed that no one in that family ever says "I love you" to one another (at least not that I can recall), during big announcements to congratulate anyone, except when courting/being courted/engaged. Ironically, I think those are the times when it shouldn't be said because it's not love! 

Yet, I cannot stop watching!

Sorry for the crankiness; insomnia is a precious and neat time bitch!

There actually is a genetic predisposition for some women to release multiple eggs, thus making fraternal twins far more likely. One poor woman I know just had her FOURTH set of fraternal twins, out of five pregnancies. So people are not actually ignorant to say that twins run in families. Michelle had two sets, which is statistically almost impossible without having a genetic predisposition. Obviously twins running on Austin's side of the family have nothing to do with how many eggs Joy releases, though! Good point.

And couldn't agree more that the one time they talk of love, it's really infatuation and lust talking.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:14 PM, Pasha Kitty said:

Jana and Pastor Caldwell should run off together.....  they'd be hot together. Imagine the scandal!  

Ugh. Sorry, but I can't get behind that. Pastor Caldwell is obsessed with the modesty doctrine and probably was scandalized and defrauded by Jana's board shorts when she got up to organize the game at the "shower." I know you were kidding and the guy is youthful and attractive, but knowing what he believes turns me off him completely.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:41 PM, humbleopinion said:

Joy has taken care of too many of her sib babies so they are not magical or awe inspiring so she is just glad to be done with her labor which could have gone south...but didn’t.

Hopefully, the experience was harrowing enough to make Austin and Joy slow their roll on having a sibling for Giddyup.

Doubtful. They seem committed to "trusting god with the size of their family."

On 3/21/2018 at 11:36 AM, MV713 said:

just saw an article on a somewhat untrustworthy site that said the Duggars may have covered up Joy's premarital pregnancy.

I have a really hard time keeping up with the timelines and editing on these shows to know what is happening when.  They mix up the events on purpose to confuse us.

But apparently Joy and Austin were planning an October 2017 wedding, but moved it up to May suddenly?  And her pregnancy pics posted on social media don't appear to match with the stage of pregnancy.  I also noticed when they were making their "announcement" to the family she looked very obviously pregnant. And no one seemed particularly surprised.

I didn't catch Ben's TH where he said he came home from work and Jessa told him that Joy had the baby- but on the show it was staged to show everyone sitting around waiting for the news.  

Again, take this with a grain of salt, but maybe some one is a better sluther than me and can confirm whether this is possible or not!

It's not true. What is true is that they filmed the staged pregnancy announcements when everybody already knew and she was showing. But it was a honeymoon baby.

On 3/21/2018 at 4:54 PM, drafan said:

All of a sudden, there's someone familiar getting married to a hunky guy! Oops, that's Kindra and her hot dad...... and her guy's not hot.

Ha! He and her mom look younger than Kendra and Joe. 

On 3/23/2018 at 10:10 AM, Barb23 said:

It was the reasoning of the TLC producers. I'm sure she actually told Jill in person, having been on her buddy team, but it's looking like Jill is no longer going to be featured on the show.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:05 PM, Kbo said:

Personal pet peeve—when someone describes a c-section as the dr. “taking the baby”.  I’ve known people who use that expression and it drives me nuts. Just no. 

I did enjoy seeing a family picture where it looks like Austin's parents only had 3 kids. Is this correct?  Maybe they are smart enough not to encourage rabbit families of their son

On 3/27/2018 at 9:00 PM, Chalby said:

I did enjoy seeing a family picture where it looks like Austin's parents only had 3 kids. Is this correct?  Maybe they are smart enough not to encourage rabbit families of their son

No such luck, although they actually only have two. They seem to have had less luck in the fertility department than Mechelle and Jim Boob, but they are firmly in the "trust god with the size of your family" camp. They are Gothard people and have spoken openly about their belief in avoiding birth control. I knew Quiverfull people years ago who struggled and only ever had one successful pregnancy. But they wished they had had 19!

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, becca3891 said:

No such luck, although they actually only have two. They seem to have had less luck in the fertility department than Mechelle and Jim Boob, but they are firmly in the "trust god with the size of your family" camp. They are Gothard people and have spoken openly about their belief in avoiding birth control. I knew Quiverfull people years ago who struggled and only ever had one successful pregnancy. But they wished they had had 19!

I sort of hope this is Joy and Austin's outcome - a couple of kids and they build a successful house remodling/flipping career.  Joy will have only a couple of kids to care for and they can all have attention and food and, for the love of Merlin - public schooling.  I can't imagine Joy as a homeschooler.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, becca3891 said:

Doesn't Austin's father have other children though?  I thought he did.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:11 PM, becca3891 said:

There actually is a genetic predisposition for some women to release multiple eggs, thus making fraternal twins far more likely. One poor woman I know just had her FOURTH set of fraternal twins, out of five pregnancies. So people are not actually ignorant to say that twins run in families. Michelle had two sets, which is statistically almost impossible without having a genetic predisposition. Obviously twins running on Austin's side of the family have nothing to do with how many eggs Joy releases, though! Good point.

And couldn't agree more that the one time they talk of love, it's really infatuation and lust talking.

Ugh. Sorry, but I can't get behind that. Pastor Caldwell is obsessed with the modesty doctrine and probably was scandalized and defrauded by Jana's board shorts when she got up to organize the game at the "shower." I know you were kidding and the guy is youthful and attractive, but knowing what he believes turns me off him completely.

Doubtful. They seem committed to "trusting god with the size of their family."

It's not true. What is true is that they filmed the staged pregnancy announcements when everybody already knew and she was showing. But it was a honeymoon baby.

Ha! He and her mom look younger than Kendra and Joe. 

It was the reasoning of the TLC producers. I'm sure she actually told Jill in person, having been on her buddy team, but it's looking like Jill is no longer going to be featured on the show.

I guess it's true about not making a difference if twins are on the dad's side of the family, but, isn't it amazing how often it turns out that way?  My grandmother had a set of fraternal twins, then, her son's wife had a set of fraternal twins years later. I know other cases like that too.  I suppose just coincidence.

• Love 1

I am wondering if Jeremy already has planned (along with Jinger, but we know who wears the board shorts in that family) that they will have a hospital birth/and or CNM at the birth of their child? Or at LEAST not have Dumb Ass Jill anywhere near his wife when she goes into labor? I don't know where I read or heard Jinger say she was going to "invite" Michelle and Jill to come to Texas for her birth? Was it a horrible nightmare I hope? I just don't see Jeremy sitting around with Jinger suffering for hours on end. Maybe they will have a CNM and a back up plan.

But ENOUGH of the Jill and Michelle combo....they are close to being deadly, and odds are not in favor of the next poor Sister or Sister in law that puts their faith into those two. Jill is an absolute HACK and snake oil salesman like her "straight" husband Derrick. 

Yes, I am implying that something is not quite straight about Derrick. I am all for anyone being exactly who they are and loving who they want to, but I am very against  demonizing others when you clearly are struggling with something. (maybe he likes to wear Jills pretty dresses and that's why he hates on Jazz., and could still be straight. But that boy hates on other and the mere sight of Derrick makes me angry and I hold Jill accountable for bring complicit. I applaud TLC for firing him. (no applause for letting JB and M, history revisionists and protectors of josh wriggle their way back on the show)

whoops got off track..

I hope Jinger and Jeremy go rogue. (by daring to get pre-natal care and more!)

• Love 3

In the previews for next season, Joy is seen with the blonde midwife. There is a lot of ooh-ing and ahh-ing as some danger is implied by Joy's VOs. It's hard to say how far along she was at this appointment since the infamous modesty sheet was blocking the bump. but the message that TLC wanted to protray was du..du...dum......CAUTION! 

7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

In the previews for next season, Joy is seen with the blonde midwife. There is a lot of ooh-ing and ahh-ing as some danger is implied by Joy's VOs. It's hard to say how far along she was at this appointment since the infamous modesty sheet was blocking the bump. but the message that TLC wanted to protray was du..du...dum......CAUTION! 

I remember seeing that but forgot about it.  It will be interesting to see how  that scene pans out.

17 hours ago, WaterSpirit said:

Yes, I am implying that something is not quite straight about Derrick. I am all for anyone being exactly who they are and loving who they want to, but I am very against  demonizing others when you clearly are struggling with something. (maybe he likes to wear Jills pretty dresses and that's why he hates on Jazz., and could still be straight. But that boy hates on other and the mere sight of Derrick makes me angry and I hold Jill accountable for bring complicit. I applaud TLC for firing him. (no applause for letting JB and M, history revisionists and protectors of josh wriggle their way back on the show)

What happened with Derrick?  I must have missed that part.  If he's off the show, good.  Not only was he boring as hell, he was difficult to look at.

Would somebody please let me know what happened?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pasha Kitty said:

What happened with Derrick?  I must have missed that part.  If he's off the show, good.  Not only was he boring as hell, he was difficult to look at.

Would somebody please let me know what happened?  Thanks.

According to Derick they are no longer on the show because they are going in a different direction. He says he was not fired. As far as I know, Jill has not commented.

• Love 1