Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Galileo908

S28.E12: Homer is Where The Art Isn't

The writers seemed pretty pumped about making a parody of Banacek (Especially the late Kevin Curran, whose name is on this episode). It's pretty much an excuse for Bill Hader to take over for an episode, but I'm not complaining. "Who would have expected that it was someone we never met before?" I'm assuming that 70s cop shows were this nonsensical, but I liked how it was ultimately Lisa.

"There's nothing wrong with being an art lover...as long as it's being representational." I do like how Marge only likes representational art (she also wasn't a fan of the modern art).

"Did you know we had to lay off a third of the police force?! That's right: Eddie!" Man, it was weird seeing Eddie out of uniform.

Aww, Stephen Hawking tribute.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Aww, Stephen Hawking tribute.

That was a nice touch.

Overall, problem is that I didn't find the episode all that funny.  It had some amusing lines. but there seemed to be a lot of filler -- car drives up a long driveway, for example.
I barely remember Banacek -- and it starred George Peppard 10 years before he starred on the A-Team.

And yes, 70s TV detectives were that lecherous -- basically hitting on anything that moved.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 2

Only thing missing from that fake credit montage was an announcer saying "Manacek-A Matt Groening Production."

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It had some amusing lines. but there seemed to be a lot of filler -- car drives up a long driveway, for example.

I think this was probably intentional- making fun of the slow, languorous pace of some of these '70s detective shows. TV was really like that before MTV changed everything in the '80s.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

"Who would have expected that it was someone we never met before?" I'm assuming that 70s cop shows were this nonsensical, but I liked how it was ultimately Lisa.

This was Banacek like but taken a bit to the extreme.

The original series had Banacek quoting Polish Proverbs, and yes he was kind of extreme, not very subtle when it came to hitting on women.  It was the seventies, after all.

The opening where he was rowing the boat was the original opening of the series as well, and yes that was on the Charles River in Boston.  The theme music was also the same.

For what ever reason, this cartoon version didn't include his chauffeur.

22 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Overall, problem is that I didn't find the episode all that funny.  It had some amusing lines. but there seemed to be a lot of filler -- car drives up a long driveway, for example.
I barely remember Banacek -- and it starred George Peppard 10 years before he starred on the A-Team.

METV was airing Banacek in syndication a year or two ago.   I watched all of the episodes.  I don't think the Simpsons' version was so much about humor, as it was about nostalgia.  If it was supposed to be about humor, then chances are the audience would either skew much older, or ran into the  original show in syndication in order to get any of the jokes.

Personally I liked the episode for nostalgia reasons.  The original theme music moreso than anything else.

Banacek was a mystery solver/investigator, finding stolen stuff.  Hired more often than not by insurance companies so he would get his cut.

At the end of each episode, they would show how the crime was committed.

Of all of the mystery movies type series, it was my favorite.  Columbo, Mcmillian & Wife, and McCloud were also pretty good.  Again, I watched them all in syndication.

Columbo still airs in rerun form on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, as well as on MeTV.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

I think this was probably intentional- making fun of the slow, languorous pace of some of these '70s detective shows. TV was really like that before MTV changed everything in the '80s.

Commercial breaks were much shorter way back then.  They had to fill more time with actual programming as opposed to commercials.  There are probably enough commercials in the "Big Bang Theory" alone, that would take up more time than the commercial breaks in any hour long show airing in the seventies.  Probably two hour long shows in the sixties.  

Just watching a 70s episode on DVD and then comparing that to the same episode airing in syndication on TV today, it is amazing how much of the show is removed just to fit in all the commercials.  With M*A*S*H  (half hour show) reruns it is really noticeable.

Edited by icemiser69

I fell asleep watching this episode, and as a result it kept invading my dreams.  One dream interpretation I had of this episode was that the painting was made of cupcake frosting, and that's why Homer was so in love with it.

I liked the explanation part.  It was a very funny and over the top spoof of the convoluted nature of heist movies.  I kept wondering why Homer didn't just buy some print of the painting though.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, Phishbulb said:

I think this was probably intentional- making fun of the slow, languorous pace of some of these '70s detective shows.

I thought this was a parody of shows like Magnum and Hart to Hart. I didn't know of Banacek until now, but those touches were classic of these detective shows.