Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: In The Dark

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, marinw said:

So we finally have a VEEP now? So there’s that.  

That speech those two did to get the people of Washington to behave was unrealistic even for this show.

-groan- i don’t live in DC anymore but i've worked there for over 30 yrs and that was... silly.

can they leave Lior in the elevator?

• Love 4

I adore Lyor and enjoyed him so much tonight in the elevator and with his assistant.  He’s my kind of brilliant, quirky character.  But I will agree that he poorly, poorly handled the Japanese minister.  That was unrealistic to me — political Lyor knows better.

Hated the DC mayor/President dynamic — couldn’t believe she was so defiant of the President.  He was just trying to keep law and order and avoid loss of life and property destruction, but no, she had to keep it local and show extreme egotism, IMO.  Their town hall stuff was beyond hokey.

Hannah is an absolute joke.  Her lone wolf, badassery is ridiculous.

Liked that the President’s brother was very useful and in a quiet way with the Japanese minister.  Bonus points that we didn’t have to actually SEE Penny/Peanut.

Seth and Emily — just don’t see those two together.

I stepped away for a moment — what caused the city to lose power?  And did computer geek guy find the way to fix it??

I wasn’t wild about this episode.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 9

Geez, Lyor ! Just because your father was a Class A jackass doesn't mean you have to be one also . My Dad used to try & say things like that, he was never really happy in his life, so when one of his children would do something well, he would either say nothing or give a compliment that was really a disguised put down. When I got older, I realized that he really didn't hate us, he just wasn't cut out to be a father. As an adult, I've always tried to avoid saying & doing things like he would have done. Not saying I'm always successful, but I've tried. You'd think Lyor would try to act differently, as an adult, than his Dad did, but I guess he has made a great career for himself. Nothing else matters, right ?

That speech at the end with the DC crowd was so corny I felt a little nauseous. And as soon as Kirkman began his announcement that he had selected a VP, I knew it would be her. Of course it would. ( Of course, when she showed up earlier in the ep and I kind of recognized her from *something*, I figured she might be around for a while.)

I kind of wish this show would have just been Keifer and Maggie Q going out on adventures and kicking ass & taking names. I want to like the White House portion of the show, but if I'm being honest, most of the time it bores me.  I know the Hanna part of the story can be ridiculous, but at least it's fun.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, willco said:

I kind of wish this show would have just been Keifer and Maggie Q going out on adventures and kicking ass & taking names. I want to like the White House portion of the show, but if I'm being honest, most of the time it bores me.  I know the Hanna part of the story can be ridiculous, but at least it's fun.

Yeah the only reason I watch the show is for the Maggie Q segments.

5 hours ago, willco said:

Geez, Lyor ! Just because your father was a Class A jackass doesn't mean you have to be one also . My Dad used to try & say things like that, he was never really happy in his life, so when one of his children would do something well, he would either say nothing or give a compliment that was really a disguised put down. When I got older, I realized that he really didn't hate us, he just wasn't cut out to be a father. As an adult, I've always tried to avoid saying & doing things like he would have done. Not saying I'm always successful, but I've tried. You'd think Lyor would try to act differently, as an adult, than his Dad did, but I guess he has made a great career for himself. Nothing else matters, right ?

That speech at the end with the DC crowd was so corny I felt a little nauseous. And as soon as Kirkman began his announcement that he had selected a VP, I knew it would be her. Of course it would. ( Of course, when she showed up earlier in the ep and I kind of recognized her from *something*, I figured she might be around for a while.)

I am puzzled as to how a speech by Kirkman with the DC Mayor would put an end to the violence? If the power was off, who could listen or watch the speech?

I thought the blackout was caused by the hacker? Would it be that easy to get the power back on in the city?

I don't get Seth & Emily.

Is it realistic that the White House Press Corps would clap at he announcement of a VP nomination? Shouldn't it has been done at a convention of his supporters?

Is it logical that a local mayor would be considered as a VP nominee?

• Love 6
5 hours ago, willco said:

I kind of wish this show would have just been Keifer and Maggie Q going out on adventures and kicking ass & taking names.

When the show was first announced in 2016, I thought: “Nikita and Jack Bauer on the same show! Awesome!” This show has not been that. 2016 was a simpler, more innocent time. In a lot of ways.

Kirkman’s brother (who’s name I still can’t remember) is growing on me.

• Love 3

As soon as the mayor of DC walked onscreen, I turned to my family and said, "There's your VP." 

As soon as Emily and Lyor got on the elevator, I turned to my family and said, "They're going to get stuck."

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, so if I saw those coming a mile away, that doesn't say much for the writing. Perhaps Captain Obvious moonlights as a writer for this show.

For a few fleeting moments, I thought Emily and Lyor were going to have a romantic interlude while in the elevator. Thank god that didn't happen! As for Emily and Seth...was that present (the book) truly from Emily? I thought that perhaps someone else got it for him (although if so, why would the gift be in Emily's office?), he'd think it was from Emily, and then she'd say, "Book? What book?" and he'd be crushed. So now their relationship is out in the open - whatever. I actually do like her character a lot, but don't see her with Seth. He's a nice guy, smart, kind, and funny, good at his job, but...they work better for me as just really good friends and co-workers. It's nice to see a non-romantic relationship between a man and a woman. Now that they're back together and not hiding it, where does their story go from here? 

As for Lyor's explanation of why he is the consummate perfectionist - eh, it didn't move me. Perhaps he needs counseling. Or perhaps he really likes how he is and is grateful, in some way, to his dad for making him that way. Either way, I don't quite care. I find him annoying and useless. His character could disappear and I don't think his absence would impact the show at all.

I'm still mildly suspicious of the president's brother. This sudden reconciliation seems way too easy. Will he secure a position in the White House so that he and Tom become a poor man's JFK and RFK?

You just know that Hannah and the British agent are going to get back together again. 

So Hannah's computer buddy is really the big hero. He figured out how to override the virus or whatever it was, and it was his work that ultimately restored the power. I guess he can't get any credit because that would mean divulging to the public that some nefarious hacker is out there screwing things up.

What a relief not to see the First Children. And not one mention of the president's dead wife, whew!

• Love 8

Random thoughts:

Wouldn't a person being considered for VP need to be extensively vetted for the position?  I think Kimble Hookstraten personified some of the criteria Kirkman listed for VP, she's a smarter choice (from what we know). 

Kiefer doesn't look as though he's invested anymore although perhaps I'm projecting.  Some of the dialogue was just awful. 

Seth and Emily -- no, not seeing it at all. 

At least they gave Mike some lines this week.

Lyor -- totally unnecessary, just an annoying character and not good enough for comic relief.

I see this episode was entitled 'In The Dark'.  They must have worked weeks to come up with that one.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, deaja said:

Seth and Emily continue to fall flat for me.

Same.  She had MUCH better chemistry with Aaron.  

And for a brief moment I thought they might be trying to make her and Leore happen, and I was like: oh lord please NO. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, meira.hand said:

Breckin Meyer from Franklin & Bash.

He does not look like Kiefer's brother, but sibblings can and do look very different. I suppose Kevin Bacon wasn't available.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1

As much as I like the optics of a woman of color for Kirkman/Kiefer's Veep, she's no Michelle Obama, and for a moment there I was hoping it would be Aaron. 

If TPTB are hell bent on Emily & Seth as a couple, can she put-lease get him to lose the neck beard?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, marinw said:

He does not look like Kiefer's brother, but sibblings can and do look very different. I suppose Kevin Bacon wasn't available.

Dude would need super CGI from X-Men: Days of Future Past to look like the baby brother.... 

• Love 1

I knew the mayor would be the VP when I read the episode description.  

I’m guessing the brother character is to replace Alex. So far I like him better already.   

I watch this show in spite of Hannah.    The last scene with the Russian was ridiculous, as were the clothing Hannah chose to wear for the meeting. How many FBI agents actually  dress like her? 

• Love 3

About the only thing that really interested me is the fact, previously unknown to me, that DC has its own National Guard, responsible to the President.  All others are under the control of state or territorial Governors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

About the only thing that really interested me is the fact, previously unknown to me, that DC has its own National Guard, responsible to the President.  All others are under the control of state or territorial Governors.

Huh. So could an impeached Prez still call out the DC National Guard and bunker/hunker down in the White House? I guess that would depend on the Guard's loyalties. If this show had stuck more closely with the original premise, we should've seen a few weeks or most of a season (however long until they were down to their last Mentos) of that scenario (e.g., Lyor sneaking out with his backpack and a Groucho disguise to score some idiosyncratic food or personal care item). Yeah. Probably not an improvement.

Edited by shapeshifter

The award for first place goes to Chuck, since it sounds like he was the one that figured out how to turn the lights back on, due to the hackers or whatever using Alan Turning's birth and death dates as code (not exactly the most crafty way to do things, but hey, it fooled everyone else.)  Second place is Aaron, who not only had to serve as both Chief of Staff and National Security Advisor during the crisis, but even made time to deal with Hannah/Damian's drama.  It almost feels things would go a lot smoother if just Chuck and Aaron ran the show by themselves.

As soon as they introduced the mayor and had her played by a well-known actress (Aunjanue Ellis), I figured she would be the new VP.  I was worried for a second that Kirkman might have picked Trey, who I kind of like, but I can only imagine the shitstorm that would have happened if two Kirkmans were controlling the White House (is that even legal?)  Glad that has finally been addressed, even if it was cheesy as hell and it really was hard to not think of Hookstraten, since she pretty checked off all of the marks that he wanted as a VP.  I guess we're suppose to forget that she exists.

I remember when Maggie Q used to issue threats in Nikita and I took them seriously.  But her showdown against Valeria was some weak sauce.

Won't even touch on Emily/Lyor stuck in an elevator and Emily/Seth in general.

Edited by thuganomics85
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

It almost feels things would go a lot smoother if just Chuck and Aaron ran the show by themselves.

I want to watch that show! Maybe there can be a nuclear event, and next season will look more like The Last Man On Earth. Emily can survive and, I hate to admit it, but I might be okay with Lyor too.

• Love 2

On the plus side, I feel the new showrunner has finally figured out how to come up with plausible challenges for the President to deal with, that voters might actually care about seeing the end of.

• Love 1

You'd think at this point anything which didn't need to be tied to a database would be untied, so the "hacker" couldn't get to it...

DC gets no respect from the Feds so I liked the mayor standing up to Kirkman (although withdrawing the police was a dick move).

On 3/25/2018 at 1:27 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I remember when Maggie Q used to issue threats in Nikita and I took them seriously.  But her showdown against Valeria was some weak sauce.

For real.  Threatening a Russian citizen inside the Russian Embassy?  Hannah would have been arrested and held for trade with Damian.

On 3/26/2018 at 2:07 AM, shapeshifter said:

I want to watch that show! Maybe there can be a nuclear event, and next season will look more like The Last Man On Earth. Emily can survive and, I hate to admit it, but I might be okay with Lyor too.

If it takes a nuclear holocaust storyline to end Seth/Emily, I’m all in. Aaron and Chuck should absolutely survive, and Mike too. Don’t care much for Lyor, I have to say. If they bring back the S1a version of Emily, she can live too.

• Love 1
On 3/25/2018 at 4:27 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I was worried for a second that Kirkman might have picked Trey, who I kind of like, but I can only imagine the shitstorm that would have happened if two Kirkmans were controlling the White House (is that even legal?) 

I never thought that, I thought that he might reward Trey by appointing him to a minor cabinet post (there is real-life precedent, think JFK/RFK), or maybe a special advisor.

If the power was off, who could listen or watch the speech?

Batteries? The White House probably has its own generators. So would many important government buildings.

Cell phones would be how rioters et al  are getting the news. Not TVs in the window of small shops which was a common trope in the past.

DC has its own National Guard, responsible to the President.

Was that the one Richard Nixon put in operetta uniforms?

http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/nixon_palace_guard

Kirkman uses Andrew Johnson to illustrate that he doesn't need a VP.

honestly, I'm gonna have a permanent mark on my forehead for the face palm I did on that one.

Good heavens...no one in their right mind uses Andrew Johnson as anything more than a cautionary tale.  He was drunk at Lincoln's 2nd inauguration then became President about a month later. He was a Democrat on the Republican ticket and he was, by nearly every presidential pole published in he last decade, worst or second worst President.

Ever.

Come on Kirkman. You won't win a debate like that.

• Love 3

It's nice to see a non-romantic relationship between a man and a woman. 

Oh absolutely. Seriously, how often in Real Life do we see these romances between colleagues?

The award for first place goes to Chuck, since it sounds like he was the one that figured out how to turn the lights back on, due to the hackers or whatever using Alan Turning's birth and death dates as code

And we now know that the hacker is definitely American.