Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Renee's Story

• Start Topic

On 3/23/2018 at 12:43 PM, Showthyme said:

Many of the female patients featured on this show have freshly manicured fingernails. It is striking to me because they say that they haven't left the house in ages. 

I look away when they show the feet. The toenails are often long and gross. 

I am the same way, Showthyme, I cannot look at toenails and feet. I have no idea how these people do pedicures.

Re: Renee's massive boobs! I honestly do not know if a reduction can even be done on this size. If it were me, I would honestly contemplate having them fully removed. 

Off topic, but I found this interesting. My Dr told me (female Dr) that women's breasts, were not intended to be "perky" our whole lives, just during childbirth years.  She said if you look at old time pictures, women over 50 had drooping breasts.  It's been only recently that women are having reductions & implants in older age. She said bras are made for younger women with the support in the shoulders.  Over 50 needs to get a bra where the support in the chest instead. I thought that was interesting. I wonder how much weight Renee carries in her breasts

• Love 2

I have taken advantage of a department store bra fitting. It was truly surprising how off I was on my bra size. After being fitted, I found the right size and bra for me. It has made quite a difference. 

IIRC, Renee wore pants during one of her appointments. I don't remember seeing female patients wearing pants before. 

3 hours ago, Showthyme said:

IIRC, Renee wore pants during one of her appointments. I don't remember seeing female patients wearing pants before. 

I know off the top of my head Pauline sported a few pants/sweatpants.

17 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

I am the same way, Showthyme, I cannot look at toenails and feet. I have no idea how these people do pedicures.

Re: Renee's massive boobs! I honestly do not know if a reduction can even be done on this size. If it were me, I would honestly contemplate having them fully removed. 

Off topic, but I found this interesting. My Dr told me (female Dr) that women's breasts, were not intended to be "perky" our whole lives, just during childbirth years.  She said if you look at old time pictures, women over 50 had drooping breasts.  It's been only recently that women are having reductions & implants in older age. She said bras are made for younger women with the support in the shoulders.  Over 50 needs to get a bra where the support in the chest instead. I thought that was interesting. I wonder how much weight Renee carries in her breasts

I wonder how much they weigh too.

Standing, they hung down to her upper thighs. I'm thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds each. maybe more.

21 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

Over 50 needs to get a bra where the support in the chest instead.

I'd disagree about the age qualifier.  Only because I'm over 50 and don't "need" a bra.

I think it has more to do with breast size.  Renee had issues with her weight from childhood, so if her breasts were on the large end of the scale at puberty, all that weight she's been carrying over the years + gravity has definitely taken its toll.  My mom said her grandmothers hung so low she'd cross them over herself before stuffing them into a bra!

In my case, I was an A cup, barely a B, tall and thin until I had children in my early twenties.  That added a bit to my overall size/volume but since I've never been overweight, they settled into a B cup after lactation subsided.

I've been accused of having reconstructive surgery because mine are still "perky" over 50, but the reality is that I've not the genetics for large breasts to begin with, I've no obesity issues and I've stayed away from artificial support for the majority of my life.

Edited by kicotan
Dang spellcheck

I can't believe how much I thought about Renee after watching her episode last week.

It wasn't so much about her weight loss "journey" but rather the absolute enormity of the traumas she had suffered: childhood sexual abuse, domestic violence--there were definitely many more--but especially that hideous she-beast of a mother. My heart broke when she recounted how her mother never showed her any love, even on her deathbed, blaming her for being born as a result of her affair with a married man. Then, for her to actually witness Renee being sexually abused and do absolutely nothing about it, I found myself feeling  equal parts horror and sympathy for Renee and a depth of hatred for her mother incubator that I cannot adequately put into words.

I have no strong feelings for or against Lola the therapist since we only get to see a snippet of any patient's one session. I just sincerely hope and pray that Renee receives ongoing, very intensive therapy to help her heal.

All the best to her and her family. As for mom, hopefully she went straight to Hell wearing a gasoline soaked onesie!

• Love 8

I’m in the minority but I can’t seem to force myself to get behind Rene. I know she’s had a horrible life. It always drives me bananas that she had a zillion kids and said she couldn’t help gaining weight after each kid. 

Maybe she was just so damn depressing I never could warm up to her. 

Edited by hookedontv
Typo
On 3/29/2018 at 1:58 PM, hookedontv said:

I’m in the minority but I can’t seem to force myself to get behind Rene. I know she’s had a horrible life. It always drives me bananas that she had a zillion kids and said she couldn’t help gaining weight after each kid. 

Maybe she was just so damn depressing I never could warm up to her. 

Despite the emotional neglect she experienced at the hands of her own mother (and father), she was able to love and nurture her kids somewhat. It was clear they loved her and wanted her to get better, but they didn’t have the “beat down” hostage look that some of the caregivers on this show have had. 

She may have felt that having kids was the only thing she could do to bring good to the world. That’s sad. 

• Love 1
On 3/25/2018 at 4:09 PM, MillieSparklepants said:

I have never teared up before when Dr. Now approves someone for surgery, but I did watching Renee last night. As she got better, she seemed more intelligent. Her little jokes were quite witty and, as someone else pointed out, her handwriting was very nice in her journal and she seemed to have plenty to say.

I watched Renee's repeat tonight. I found myself getting misty-eyed as well; surprisingly. When she was in the bookstore (a treat to see in itself) and said she never thought she'd be in a public building again, you just want to cry. How on earth does life get away from these people so much that they wind up 600 lbs, often bed-ridden, and just on the fringes of being human? I hope she is doing well and that we get to see an update.

She needs breast reduction STAT, though. There was a scene where she got up and those boobs swung out, it was almost scary. I've had breast reduction and I was no where near her size. I guess no one would operate at her weight, but I hope Dr Now can do it as part of her skin removal. At that size, it's not cosmetic, it's medical. Mine was medical as well, and covered by insurance. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, aliya said:

How on earth does life get away from these people

This phrase hit me like a ton of bricks. You are so right! It’s not about just food or depression or childhood trauma. It’s their entire life that has spiraled downward with more intensity than I could ever imagine.  Very sad...

• Love 4
20 hours ago, aliya said:

I watched Renee's repeat tonight. I found myself getting misty-eyed as well; surprisingly. When she was in the bookstore (a treat to see in itself) and said she never thought she'd be in a public building again, you just want to cry. How on earth does life get away from these people so much that they wind up 600 lbs, often bed-ridden, and just on the fringes of being human? I hope she is doing well and that we get to see an update.

She needs breast reduction STAT, though. There was a scene where she got up and those boobs swung out, it was almost scary. I've had breast reduction and I was no where near her size. I guess no one would operate at her weight, but I hope Dr Now can do it as part of her skin removal. At that size, it's not cosmetic, it's medical. Mine was medical as well, and covered by insurance. 

Yeah. I've wondered more than once how these women find a bra to fit them. I'm a G cup (though at my age, it's more of a "42 extra long" LOL) and those are fricking HARD to find. These women make me look flat chested. AFAIK, bras only go up to a J cup. 

• Love 1

My Mom had enormous ones. In her 70’s she got a tumour. Tried to get the doctor to take both off, but he couldn’t. At her age they didn’t do reconstruction. She got a special bra and a prosthetic boob that was the size and weight of the missing one. She could not lift it to put it in the bra. It was too heavy.

I had to be late to court once because I had to run over and help her get her falsie loaded up. When I explained that to the judge, he believed me immediately. Said no one could make that story up. I went and got a half dozen of those bathing suit falsies from the fabric store to sew together to make one she could lift herself. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I'm a G cup (though at my age, it's more of a "42 extra long" LOL) and those are fricking HARD to find.

My mom, now 91 told me her grandmother (who lived to be 96) would cross them over and then put on the bra~right one in the left cup, left one in the right cup).  Lol!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CatherineM said:

My Mom had enormous ones. In her 70’s she got a tumour. Tried to get the doctor to take both off, but he couldn’t. At her age they didn’t do reconstruction. She got a special bra and a prosthetic boob that was the size and weight of the missing one. She could not lift it to put it in the bra. It was too heavy.

I had to be late to court once because I had to run over and help her get her falsie loaded up. When I explained that to the judge, he believed me immediately. Said no one could make that story up. I went and got a half dozen of those bathing suit falsies from the fabric store to sew together to make one she could lift herself. 

Good thing I lift weights. ;-)  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I wonder why he couldn't remove the other one? Was it age only? I know 2 people who had their breasts removed due to cancer in the family. They didn't have cancer themselves, but apparently some people have this done when breast cancer has a strong family history.  You'd think they could do it for an older person, unless she had other health issues that made the operation problematic.

(edited)

And I will always be grateful to my surgeon that removed both my breasts after a cancer diagnosis 5 years ago. No recon, no radiation, no chemo... 69 yo now who needs more surgery??

Edited by rainbowrockgal
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, aliya said:

I wonder why he couldn't remove the other one? Was it age only? I know 2 people who had their breasts removed due to cancer in the family. They didn't have cancer themselves, but apparently some people have this done when breast cancer has a strong family history.  You'd think they could do it for an older person, unless she had other health issues that made the operation problematic.

She had lost a lung to lung cancer ten years before, so that might have had something to do with it. She survived 7 bouts of cancer to die peacefully in her sleep at 90. Buried four men. Don’t make them like that anymore. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/19/2018 at 7:14 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

From the bottom  of my heart  I want to thank everyone  from making  me glad I am an almost  B cup.

Amen.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been accused of having an augmentation/lift by women because I nursed 3 babies and at 51, they still have a round shape and my nipples still face forward.  I end up explaining that until my 20’s I was a solid A and depending on the bra, almost a B cup.

I wasn’t able to nurse them as long as I wanted to, because no matter what I did, my breasts just didn’t have the capacity to meet their needs and dried up all on their own.

Edited by kicotan
  • Love 1
On 6/18/2018 at 6:07 PM, Colleenna said:

Yeah. I've wondered more than once how these women find a bra to fit them. I'm a G cup (though at my age, it's more of a "42 extra long" LOL) and those are fricking HARD to find. These women make me look flat chested. AFAIK, bras only go up to a J cup. 

I can't imagine how she carries those enormous things around.

As for Gs, Third Love is finally offering larger sizes. I'm busty, although not G busty, and those are the most comfortable bras I've ever worn.

(edited)

Watching this tonight and I still don’t know how I feel about Renee but the last couple days my workouts have consisted of abs and core exercises including squats and lunges and I keep catching myself saying “ow my legs.” And then I feel bad because it’s not that bad.   

I also feel bad because she never wears underwear and everyone with her had to notice. 

Edited by TimetoShine
  • Love 2

I know it has been said many times already, but Renee would instantly drop close to 100 lbs if she had breast reduction surgery.  Those things are just wow - and I mean that in a bad way!  I tried to see any updates from her on her Facebook page, and I wish I hadn't, as there are no updates, but photo upon photo of her in extremely unflattering and at times, disgusting, poses.   I also noticed that when Renee's daughter drove Renee to Houston, (and brought along her own daughter and her fiancé) that the older guy that was her fiancé had bruised left eye.  I noticed when Renee's son arrived for Renee's surgery and he brought along his fiancée, that she (his fiancée) had a bruise over her right eye and a bruise on her left cheek.  

Edited by Little Sun
  • Love 1
On 3/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, Kenzie said:

I wonder how much they weigh too.

Standing, they hung down to her upper thighs. I'm thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds each. maybe more.

I had breast reduction maybe 20+ years ago. They removed 8 lbs of boobs and I was nowhere near as big as Renee. Nowhere. 

• Love 2
On 3/22/2018 at 9:23 AM, suzeecat said:

For most of the show she seemed very "out of it".  Her eyes didn't focus, her mouth gaped open, she didn't really speak in sentences or even words at times, just "uh-huh" or "yuh".  I think maybe there was some "acting" going on, but by the end she was much more with it.  Those were the most pendulous breasts I have ever seen!  They were just - hypnotizing!  Besides what others have said about her on again off again use of the wheelchair, it really bugged me to see her feet dragging when they were pulling her in the wheelchair.  Why couldn't she put her feet on the footrests?

My jaw was on the floor for most of this episode.  They were the biggest breasts I've ever seen.  That poor lady

• Love 1
3 hours ago, suev3333 said:

Did she smoke?  I saw a lighter in her hand when she was in the car....As far as those boobs?...they just need to..... go

I'm watching a repeat of her episode.  Yes. She did have a lighter sitting on her body while in the car.  Can't breathe but can still smoke??

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 1

Watched this entire journey for the first time today.  I hope she continues to be a success, especially for the son who clearly loves her and was so thankful to Dr Now for his help.

Her flat affect was distracting at first.  But after considering the way she earned a Iiving supporting her children, those jobs had to have taken an emotional toll.

But she did show a bit of life and humor when Dr. Now asked her if she had gotten some rest the night before her WLS.  She sweetly asked him if he had slept, because she could always sleep after. 

Lola's visit was positive especially with the implication that it was the first of many visits.  And we did see Rennee writing in her journal at the end.

• Love 1

Marathoning 600lb Life and just finished watching Renee's journey.  A few others have mentioned this here and I agree, she has been and is in poverty.  It isn't easy to work in diet food with a low grocery budget.  We see this so often.  Carbs; bread, rice, pasta and other things are affordable.  We think they are fat free options but in reality carbs are sugar.  Ive been there and it cost at least 2x as much to shop the outer aisles and avoid the carby, processed food.  Not only that but fresh veggies and things go bad quickly.   Meal prep was my saving grace in weight loss.  Having a planned menu, pre-made homemade dinners, lunches, breakfasts and snacks. 

She also dropped out of school.  Health and scientific truths aren't something that just anybody knows.  Many have ignorance when it comes to macros and other dietary factors.  There is so much more than counting calories.  Perhaps a weight loss app like My Fitness Pal woukd help her learn so much.  Customize to her needs and there are support groups in a chat feature.  Sharing recipes and making friends.  Not be lonely.  

A few weeks ago someone had said POC have their pain issues minimalized or ignored.  In Renee's case that seems to be true.  She had previous back injuries and I know the pain of carrying extra weight.  She also said she wasnt on medication for anything.   She has to have pain, breathing problems, possible high blood pressure, cholesterol and coukd be diabetic.   I hope she has been given health insurance and that she still has it today. 

I feel so moved that I will pray for her and her family.  That the cycle of poverty, abuse, neglect and i)l heath doesn't continue.  For Renee and her 6 children & grandchildren begin to receive blessings.  A successful future for all. 

• Love 2

Is it just me or was the obituary worded odd? It's been a while since I have read one but I don't remember the phrase " she was surrounded by important friends and family " every being used and there seemed to be a few mistakes in grammar or is it just to early in the morning. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Is it just me or was the obituary worded odd? It's been a while since I have read one but I don't remember the phrase " she was surrounded by important friends and family " every being used and there seemed to be a few mistakes in grammar or is it just to early in the morning. 

I thought it was odd, too.  Almost seemed that the obituary was written by a family member who wanted other people to know they weren't important enough to either (1) be there, or (2) be mentioned by name.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I thought it was odd, too.  Almost seemed that the obituary was written by a family member who wanted other people to know they weren't important enough to either (1) be there, or (2) be mentioned by name.  

Yes, and the statement ' she was fathered by..' seemed odd also. I also wonder if the person who wrote it was trying to sound intellect when they are not.. oddly written. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I wonder what other TV shows she was on. At least the obituary didn't refer to "sperm donor". 😕

Apparently, the sperm donor(s) weren't important or special enough to be mentioned.  

• Love 4
On 6/19/2018 at 9:26 PM, rainbowrockgal said:

And I will always be grateful to my surgeon that removed both my breasts after a cancer diagnosis 5 years ago. No recon, no radiation, no chemo... 69 yo now who needs more surgery??

That’s my mom’s story (except at 71). She did have chemo before and is on chemo pills now but has decided not to get the reconstruction. She doesn’t need to go back under the knife again after other surgeries.

• Love 4