Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Twenty Years to Life / S10.E02: Dress to Impress

From the ABC press release:

Roseanne and Dan’s house becomes full again,
while Becky makes an important decision about her future. 

&

Roseanne and Dan’s grandson, Mark, is bullied at school,
while Becky brings Andrea home to meet the family.

----

From the episode guide description: 

Roseanne and Dan adjust to living in the same house with Darlene and her two kids when she loses her job; Darlene's son, Mark, is found with a pocket knife after he experiences bullying during the first day at his new school.

• Love 2

They are really going to have to go into how Becky's life went to hell for so many years. I did laugh many times, but it was hard going through the political talk for the second half of the first episode. As for Mark and his dressing, if he was in college right now, no one would care.

• Love 16

I loved it! I do have some questions, though...first, where is David supposed to be? And are we sticking with the story that Darlene was actually married to Mark, not David? And was Harris supposed to be in high school? Because, chronologically, she’d be 21 or 22 now. (Oh yeah, and no mention of Andy, Jackie’s son?) 

• Love 21

On a scale of 1-10, I’d give it an almost 8. It was good, but it felt like they spent most of the first episode catching up on the last 20 years and I think I saw most of the first few minutes in all of the commercials prior to the show. 

I really don’t like the surrogate storyline. There could have been a better way to include Sarah Chalke. 

At least there was a Jerry mention, so she hasn’t been retconned. I also liked the pics of Bev and Nana Mary on the fireplace. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Liamsmom617 said:

And are we sticking with the story that Darlene was actually married to Mark, not David?

No. There was a line from Roseanne to Becky about how life was more difficult or something after Mark died. But I don't recall any mention of David.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Liamsmom617 said:

I loved it! I do have some questions, though...first, where is David supposed to be? And are we sticking with the story that Darlene was actually married to Mark, not David? And was Harris supposed to be in high school? Because, chronologically, she’d be 21 or 22 now. (Oh yeah, and no mention of Andy, Jackie’s son?) 

I heard Johnny Galecki would be on, so I'm assuming divorced. Jackie was a lesbian according to the finale, so is that still true? I remember thinking that Andy was made up for the story once she made Jackie a lesbian. 

• Love 7

I loved seeing these characters again.    Roseanne, Laura Metcalf and Sara Gilbert were the standouts.     Loled at the Darlene gay jokes

Can't wait to see more!

• Love 16

I haven't rewatched the original series in quite some time, so getting back into it with this revival was a little jarring, but I did settle in nicely. I do think they pushed really hard with all the politics, but all in all, I did enjoy it. I know this show has never shied away from going all in. I found Sara Gilbert a highlight; I remember her being good on the original series, but over 20 years later, and she's really gotten better. Her talk to Mark in the second episode was really well done. 

I think Lecy's weaker, likely because she hasn't done much acting since the original series, and Roseanne was a little too jilted at times, despite mostly playing herself, but everyone else was simply wonderful. The writing was rough in places, but the message behind both episodes was entirely clear. Plus, I like the show going all in on all views but keeping the message about family being the most important thing. It was really nice to see. 

7 minutes ago, Liamsmom617 said:

I don't think so. I think it was implied that her and David have been divorced for a few years, despite not even mentioning him; Becky's the one with the dead husband, who I assume would be Mark. Harris seems to be in high school, so I guess they aged her down by three years. I am surprised they haven't mentioned where David is or why Darlene seems to have sole physical custody of the kids, so I'm hoping that's explained soon.

• Love 15

I'm happy to have this show back, but the first two episodes weren't as good as I'd hoped. I was hoping to get the full backstory on Mark's death, Darlene and David's marriage failing, and a tiny mention as to Andy's whereabouts wouldn't have hurt either. I just wanted all of that out of the way so the show could focus on fresh storylines going forward.

The political stuff was very jarring and not at all organic to the spirit of the original show. I thought Roseanne praying was a departure as well - I'd always had the impression she was an atheist - but I can somewhat understand that with DJ having been in Syria, and his wife apparently still being there. Roseanne probably wouldn't admit it, but she must have been sick with worry every day DJ was there.

I loved the throwaway line from little Mary that she wanted to train cats to bark like dogs when she grew up. She's definitely DJ's daughter. Also love both of Darlene's kids, Harris who is essentially Darlene 2.0, and sweet but headstrong Mark. Loved Roseanne's speech in front of his class, and Dan's struggle to wrap his head around what his grandson is feeling. That's organic to the Dan we know.

Hated the surrogacy storyline. Is it really surrogacy when you're using your own eggs? Becky would essentially be having her own child and giving it away. Sounds highly unorthodox.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Loved the Darlene is gay jokes.  I don’t know why.

I was hoping it was going to be revealed that Darlene was gay, and that's why she and David are divorced.  I wonder how they will address the David question.

I didn't expect to like it.  I thought I would tune in once, hate it, and never watch again.  I was wrong.  It was way better than I believed it would be.

Was DJ being married to an African-American a call back to the episode where DJ didn't want to kiss a girl because she was black?  If I remember correctly, DJ and Dan talked about it, and the conversation ended with DJ saying something about he had heard she used her tongue, and Dan told him to stay in touch with her or something like that because someday he would be glad he did.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 12

I felt like John Goodman took awhile to get back in the Dan Connor groove. But otherwise I thought everyone was good. Mark and Darlene were the highlight for me.

I'm not going to worry about who's where or other questions, I'll just trust the next eps will include the answers.

• Love 21

I wasn't a Roseanne watcher "back in the day" (I knew enough of the show watching it in bits and pieces), but in the current midst of peak TV which in broadcast terms is "reboot a show that gave as a bunch of Emmys so we can be hip again!" I watched tonight.  It was rough in a couple of places, but I think this will find its footing a lot faster than Will and Grace did.   The first episode was definitely the weaker of the two.  I'm fine with Roseanne wanting her own politics on the show (and in a way, ABC can spin it so they can say "See?  We DO have conservatives on this network!  We just didn't want Tim Allen any more!") but it was a lot of the same liberal jokes we've heard in real life for a while now. 

It's not enough to for me to watch live (I'm going to stick it out with the Flash) but I'll DVR it for the short term commitment. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 11
12 minutes ago, WednesdayAddams said:

I heard Johnny Galecki would be on, so I'm assuming divorced. Jackie was a lesbian according to the finale, so is that still true? I remember thinking that Andy was made up for the story once she made Jackie a lesbian. 

They are ignoring the last season completely other then Harris so Jackie still should have Andy which bugs me that he didn’t get a mention at all 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, readster said:

They are really going to have to go into how Becky's life went to hell for so many years.

Becky was planning on going to college towards the end of the original series, and her parents even offered her some money for tuition at one point. If she had the baby she was pregnant with at the end of S9, it would make sense that she never had the opportunity to pursue higher education, but she's child-free in this version. Without a family to support, I wonder how her situation became so desperate. 

• Love 10

It was pretty good I have to say. Laughed out loud a few times.

First episode was much stronger than the second.

You could tell the production designers had a lot of trouble getting the size of the kitchen cabinets right. They looked huge in some shots.

When Jackie first appeared I was disappointed it was Whacky Jackie. After she admits she voted for Stein and talks about how much control Roseanne had over her life, it was like a time warp to original Jackie! Hope they kept it this way.

DJ is crazy awkward and by that I mean Michael Fishman is crazy awkward. Him talking to Jackie (which were his only lines I think) it was sooooo cringeworthy.

I liked how Roseanne was wearing the same leopard print collared jacket that she had in season 9. Also, getting the teacher from the pilot was cool too.

• Love 15

What if we find out that David is the gay one? Artistic and sensitive boy that he was. Just sayin'. I'm not a big fan of the whole reboot trend but the success of Will and Grace and my love for the original Roseanne show has softened my outlook.  Agree that the show was a bit awkward tonight but these are professionals and it will get better. 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, ThatsDarling said:

Becky was planning on going to college towards the end of the original series, and her parents even offered her some money for tuition at one point. If she had the baby she was pregnant with at the end of S9, it would make sense that she never had the opportunity to pursue higher education, but she's child-free in this version. Without a family to support, I wonder how her situation became so desperate. 

Maybe Mark had a terminal illness that lasted for a while, and that took what little money they did have?  Also, if Becky had gone to college, there would be no guarantee she could get a good paying job.  Lots of people graduate college with a ton of debt and no job prospects.  Darlene apparently lost her job, and she has a college education.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 18

I’ll keep it short since most of you hit on everything I was thinking but:

1) Yes, I’m looking forward to the rest of the season

2) The second episode was the better of the two that primered tonight in my opinion

3) The change in voices kind of threw me off but I’ll get used to it

and

4) The political angle was funny but I hope it doesn’t dominate the rest of the season and I don’t think it will. Roseanne has already stated numerous times that it will not be the driving force of the show. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 21
6 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The political stuff was very jarring and not at all organic to the spirit of the original show. I thought Roseanne praying was a departure as well - I'd always had the impression she was an atheist - but I can somewhat understand that with DJ having been in Syria, and his wife apparently still being there.

No, she lost it when Bev talked about not believing in God during the original series: "No, we can't just drop this - you think you're the only person that's been through stuff? I've been through stuff. But, you know, but, I still believe in God, you know. I mean, I'd like to believe all the horrible, hideous crap that I have to wallow through every single day of my life, at some point, I will find out the meaning to and the reason for, I mean, so I can be happy, you know what I mean? There just has to be a God. There IS! I swear to God there is a God! And, if there ain't, I've been SCREWED."

I tuned in, I couldn't help it - I love John Goodman/Dan Conner and I loved his line that God didn't give him a big head just to be close-minded. I hope the first episode is the most that they go into the political thing because I'm just sick of everything. I did laugh at the way Jackie said that she knew how hard it must have been for Roseanne to say "I forgive you." And at her admitting to voting for Jill Stein, who Roseanne didn't even know existed, heh. Jackie is still the funniest of the bunch.

Lecy/Becky does look like the baby of the family now, it was so odd.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I'm fine with Roseanne wanting her own politics on the show (and in a way, ABC can spin it so they can say "See?  We DO have conservatives on this network!  We just didn't want Tim Allen any more!") but it was a lot of the same liberal jokes we've heard in real life for a while now. 

Funny how many people are posting images and asking for them to bring Last Man Standing back since they said that Roseanne can talk politics, so why can't Tim Allen do it too. However, I agree, I think it's ABC was tired of Tim Allen's version of politics and at the same time. I fault ABC for not stepping in during season 2 and saying: "Just stop, and let's move on." Back to Roseanne, I did feel the 2nd episode was better. Everyone was in their place, but I have to agree with Becky story line is just off. Surrogacy doesn't work that way, it is the woman who wants the baby egg and then go from there. I agree, just it feels like with Becky I know she wants to get her life back together which apparently has been shit for years. But this... was just off. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Was DJ being married to an African-American a call back to the episode where DJ didn't want to kiss a girl because she was black?  

Yes. That's the woman he ends up marrying.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

Laurie Metcalf’s comedy timing is on point!

After her darkly dramatic roles over the intervening years, it was fun to see her hop right back into broad sitcom acting again. Roseanne has always been the weakest adult actor for me, but flatly throwing off her lines as if she's doing stand-up is part of her charm.

I loved the collective gasp from the audience when it became apparent that Roseanne was a Trump supporter. Not sure why the script refused to name political names except for Stein, though. It made the whole conversation kind of stilted.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 11

Hated the surrogacy storyline. Is it really surrogacy when you're using your own eggs? Becky would essentially be having her own child and giving it away. Sounds highly unorthodox.

It seems like a fairly unorthodox set up.  Certainly it doesn't seem as though an agency of any kind is involved given Becky is lying about her age, and I don't think they would use someone who doesn't have any children already.  

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Maybe Mark had a terminal illness that lasted for a while, and they took what little money they did have?  Also, if Becky had gone to college, there would be no guarantee she could get a good paying job.  Lots of people graduate college with a ton of debt and no job prospects.  Darlene apparently lost her job, and she has a college education.

I didn’t even think of a costly terminal illness. I figured that they would make it an unexpected  death due to an accident or something else. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, readster said:

Funny how many people are posting images and asking for them to bring Last Man Standing back since they said that Roseanne can talk politics, so why can't Tim Allen do it too. However, I agree, I think it's ABC was tired of Tim Allen's version of politics and at the same time. I fault ABC for not stepping in during season 2 and saying: "Just stop, and let's move on." Back to Roseanne, I did feel the 2nd episode was better. Everyone was in their place, but I have to agree with Becky story line is just off. Surrogacy doesn't work that way, it is the woman who wants the baby egg and then go from there. I agree, just it feels like with Becky I know she wants to get her life back together which apparently has been shit for years. But this... was just off. 

Last man standing was canceled because ABC didn’t own the show fox did (not because of Tim’s political views which was part of the show since day one) It became to costly to continue the show for abc that’s one of the big reasons no one else took the show was because of the cost even CMT turned it down when they found out what the cost to produce was going to be. 

• Love 15

Lanford always seemed economically depressed, and probably hasn’t and won’t recover from the recession.  A lot of small towns were dying, and that didn’t help.  

so jobs would be tighter than they were.  I think they will reveal that Becky had a substance abuse problem, and that’s why she’s down and out. 

I’m excited to see where this show goes.  

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Drapers4thWife said:

Roseanne Barr has said she's not interested in Jerry or Andy so they're pretending like they never existed (which shows the level of care Roseanne has taken with the show). 

Why not give him a shout out like she did with Jerry it just was jarring that they glossed over Jackie having a child since he was a part of the show for 4 seasons lol 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Last man standing was canceled because ABC didn’t own the show fox did (not because of Tim’s political views which was part of the show since day one) It became to costly to continue the show for abc that’s one of the big reasons no one else took the show was because of the cost even CMT turned it down when they found out what the cost to produce was going to be. 

Yeah, it was an expensive show and I had forgotten that Fox actually owned it, plus ABC did say to Fox to tone down the politics as the show went forward. But most people just say: "It was because of political talk." when people rather just angry fans who lost their favorite toy. When they don't know what the real story was behind it. 

• Love 6

I said this in the live thread as well, but it is really apparent that the Sarah's, Laurie and John have been steadily working as actors since the show ended. And unfortunately it's very clear that Rosanna and Lacey has spent less time doing so. I'm hoping That evens out as the season goes on.

I'm glad Darlene is being portrayed as a good mother. I'm looking forward to more of her interactions with her kids. And I want to see more of DJ as a dad as well!

Roseanne looks good. I like the short bob. It works for her. Her timing Was a bit off in the first episode but got better in the second.

I love that Dan has his man cave out in the garage. And that ending scene of them playing basketball was fantastic! Old school Conner family.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 15
9 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I said this in the live thread as well, but it is really apparent that the Sarah's, Laurie and John have been steadily working as actors since the show ended. And unfortunately it's very clear that Rosanna and Lacey has spent less time doing so. I'm hoping That evens out as the season goes on.

I'm glad Darlene is being portrayed as a good mother. I'm looking forward to more of her interactions with her kids. And I want to see more of DJ as a dad as well!

Roseanne looks good. I like the short bob. It works for her. Her timing Was a bit off in the first episode but got better in the second.

I love that Dan has his man cave out in the garage. And that ending scene of them playing basketball was fantastic! Old school Conner family.

I agree. Lecy and Roseanne came off as very stilted, like they're just reading the script on the first go around. It's a little jarring next to the others.

I always really disliked Darlene (and how Sara played her) so the Darlene 2.0 is annoying. Oddly, I thought Darlene was great tonight. 

Whoever that kid is playing Mark is freaking adorable. Love!!

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, festivus said:

Well that's disappointing about Andy. I don't care about Jerry not being in it, I never had any attachment to him.

I am definitely disappointed about Andy.  I was wondering why there was no mention about Jackie's son.   Even if he doesn't appear on the show it would be nice to have the occasional name drop.  

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I adore Jackie as a character and really hope the script hasn't left her with a bare, unfulfilled life outside the Connor household. Mentioning that her son moved out of Lanford wouldn't kill them. It's realistic.

Same! Jackie has always been my favorite and I want her to have something else going on besides her job and the Conner household. Just having Andy around (or mentioned) would give them some material for her. 

Not going to lie, I was hoping they’d run with the “Jackie’s a lesbian” storyline reveal from the finale. Not that being gay would make her automatically have a fulfilled life or anything, but it would be something different than the norm and maybe she could have a successful relationship with a woman since her relationships with men never worked out long term. Also, I think Laurie would rock it. 

Edited by SparklesBitch
  • Love 11
Just now, Chaos Theory said:

I am definitely disappointed about Andy.  I was wondering why there was no mention about Jackie's son.   Even if he doesn't appear on the show it would be nice to have the occasional name drop.  

Yeah, I think ignoring Andy is going to be one of the biggest problems with the revival. I get they have only 10 episodes and can only cover so much. However, just a throw away line even saying: "Thank God Andy got away from all of us crazy people!" That's really all they needed, especially if they want to throw in how Jerry is on a boat either in the navy or fishing or something. I get why DJ wasn't in the second episode much, since the focus was on Becky and Little Mark. 

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

Darlene seems like a great mom and Mark is the cutest. Harris cracks me up, she’s like a young Darlene clone. I’m surprised we didn’t see more of DJ and Mary, though. 

Darlene is really great. She smart, compassionate, loving open-minded but still realistic with her advice to Harris. I think she picked up all the best qualities of her mother Roseanne as a mom without being snarky or sharp-tongued. Who knew goth and dark teen Darlene would grow up to be such a loving mom.

Sara was really great and I loved all her scenes. I may have teared up when she broke down with Roseanne.

I was confused why Jackie kept screaming her lines at certain points.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 16