Type keyword(s) to search

Season Four: The Stones of Suck

(edited)

This was the year that Chloe was dead and then she was not, Lionel was dying and then he was not, Clark could fly and then he could not, Lois Lane made me want to bore out my eyes and stab my ears but at first she did not, Jason was a nice normal all around good guy and then he was not, Clark and Lana had finally moved on for good and then they had not. 

The stones made sense and then they ...no actually they never made sense.  Toss in Lana the witch, Dr. Quinn not holding up her Hippocratic Oath, Jonathan not doing so well down on the farm, Martha going to Lana for advice on how to balance marriage and running the Talon, and Chloe watching Clark catch a car like a beach ball and we had one, um, interesting season.

On the upside:  Shelby!!!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

As much as I mock and the Stones of Knowledge deserve all the mocking they can get (I'm still blocking out that ridiculous China episode) I actually rather liked season 4. 

Lana and the witch stuff was eye rolling but I actually didn't completely hate her when she was coupled with Jason.  Maybe it was just because she was away from the main storylines?  Some of the episodes were silly, but still fun.  I wish they had spent more time on just having the girls hanging out and being friends. 

I again was very impressed with the growth they gave Chloe and everything just seemed to get better and better once she found out Clark's secret.  I even at first found Lois fun and charming though once she became a regular (even just after her first two episodes ) they wrote her in such a negative and irritating way.  Once they started doing that I was back to being certain that this Lois was a fake out and once again embraced Chlois.  It made everything better.

(edited)

Lois and her arc always pointed more to her being Cat Grant, in my eyes.  The drinking, the questionable interest in journalism, the flirting...I see those as more Cat-like traits.

Season four was indeed a good season for Chloe.  I also liked Lana and Jason, though the age difference was a bit creepy.  What school would let a football coach date a student??

The finale was great.  Chloe shoving Lex into the rocky cave wall to protect Clark was one of her best character moments...

Edited by DisneyBoy

I love Lois and Clark's first two episodes. They planted some good seeds for my favorite couple ever. I love Lana's wardrobe this season. Kristin Kreuk must have been so happy to be rid of all the pink. Chloe learning Clark's secret was such a huge step forward for their relationship. It made the terrible handling of the Alicia episodes worth it. 

I do think this is the season where the show started going downhill plotwise. The fifth season is slightly better and the show always had good episodes and bad episodes, but this season had me feeling that the show was losing its magic (pun not intended). I will also always remember that this is the season where Jane Seymour misuses the word "ancestor" thus driving me completely insane. Did no one on set have a dictionary? 

Argh, Gertrude's ancestors argh. That was so much fail.

You wouldn't think a plot of a show could be "three of the main female characters get possessed by witches, get freaky with high schoolers, ruin Clark's life and then turn back with no repercussions whatsoever" but Smallville would prove you wrong. It's especially galling given that it comes on the heels of Clark acting weirdly OOC, coming back to himself and getting shunned like he invented leprosy. And the less said about Bound, the better.

Sorry, on account of a certain elevator scene, I HAVE to talk about Bound. Or maybe just sit here with my eyes closed replaying it in my head. Yeah. That will work. ;)

Outside of my love for the Lois and Clark pairing, I always loved the Alicia episodes and actually shed a few tears when she was murdered. I don't know what exactly it was but I always thought that Tom Welling and Sara Carter had mad chemistry together myself.

In S4 I would have accepted Clark/sane!Alicia had I known I'd never get Chlark. And I remember a time when I thought Ageless was the lamest episode ever, just because it was boring and didn't really make sense. Oh, for a time when Ageless could still have that title.

I started watching the show a couple months back and S3 had me thinking the show was finally finding it's legs a little and I was really looking forward to S4.  But I'm now eight episodes in and I gotta say...what the hell?

First, they seemed to regress back to S1 and get everyone back in high school. I mean, they were always in high school, but they seemed to move away from the episodes being rooted in high school and I applauded that approach myself. But now, Clark wants to play football again and most of the episodes are very high school...I don't know.

But, I decided to embrace it and was just settling in for Clark and Co.'s senior year...then the three witches episode happened. What the hell was that? I just have no words for how ridiculous I found that episode. And following on the heels of three fairly strong and solid episodes. In fact, that body swapping episode is the first time I was impressed with Tom Welling. I've found him adequate; but the way he channeled his inner Lionel in that episode was pretty damn good.

This show is crazy uneven, IMO.

I feel better now. Sometimes all you need is a good purge. ;)

The witches episode is now on my SOOOO bad that I like it list but it took a long while to get there.  There are things that I really enjoyed about season four and Transference definitely was one of them.  If I recall there is only one more incredibly painful episode. I forget what it is called but in involves Lana Fu and I think was once renamed Crouching Tigers Hidden Suck.  and variation of the like.  You will know it when you see it. 

Oh and I wish you and your mental health well as you continue watching.  Come back to purge as often as you need. 

I expect to see you here often.  ;D

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Okay, another purge...

I don't understand the point of this Lois Lane character--don't they already have a Lois Lane in Chloe? Plus, I'm finding her very off-putting. It's not a biggie, I just don't get it. 

And, I'm currently a bit sad they killed Alicia. They did it well, at least, but I enjoyed the dynamic between Tom and Sarah. I wouldn't have minded seeing her come back at some point. Oh well.

But, on a brighter note, Chloe knows Clark's secret now and that can only be a good thing right?

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm enjoying hearing how your new perspective reflects a lot of the opinions expressed back in the day.  (Sara and Tom had a lovely chemistry)  I have to say, my annoyance for Lois only grew. 

If I recall behind the scenes during the hiatus between season 3 and 4, TPTB suddenly were offered use of Lois (total last minute casting) and although the character really didn't fit their original game plan, they weren't going to turn down something offered from DC's toy chest so they ...well, I won't spoil you for now. 

I don't understand the point of this Lois Lane character--don't they already have a Lois Lane in Chloe?

And now you understand one of the reasons the Chlois theory was popular for years.  Oh, for what could have been! ;)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
(edited)

So, four more episodes under my belt and I'm gonna try to sum them up in under 20 words each...

• Lois gets in trouble, Clark gets her out of it and Clark gives up football...again.
  • Clark becomes a real boy and gets a puppy.
  • Lana does some karate fu that makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Lois has a sister who is apparently 007.

And, for a while there things were looking up.

So, I take it theses stones are the four stones of the apocalypse or some such thing?

I'm rather enjoying this Jason Teague character, but not so fond of his mother and her obviousness. However, I think I actually prefer Lana when she's possessed by the dead witch. I mean I have nothing against Lana, but as least when she's possessed she's not whining about how everyone lies to her.

On a whole other note, Lionel's hair is far more palatable since he got out of prison, but yet I kinda miss the rebellious locks. ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
(edited)

And...the show's back on track for a couple more episodes.

I was sure I was gonna be rolling my eyes throughout the-Lex-gets-split-into-good-and-evil one, but Rosenbaum really knocked that one out of the park. I found myself really wrapped up in the episode even though I think it's a shame they showed their hand so early in the episode. I did find it kinda silly that Lionel is suddenly evil again after a little duel. Maybe they were saying he was always evil, though?

The prom one was just okay, but the entire cast really upped their game and made it mostly work. I think I missed something though, how'd Jason get his hands on that stone? Or maybe I should be wondering how that woman he killed (he killed her right?) got her hands on it? Last I recalled, Lana hid it, but Jason suddenly had it at the end of the episode. Not sure it really matters, but it feels like I missed something.

BTW, Jason is finally becoming scary--in a good way! I assume the switch is due to Jensen getting Supernatural? Either that or it's the best long con I've seen in a very long time.

Anyway, it was Blank that won me over! How awesome were some of those scenes with Chloe and Clark? I kinda fell in love with Chloe in this episode. I actually fell a little in love with Tom Welling, too. I usually find him adequate and all, but every now and again he'll wow me and he did just that in this one. I'm really disappointed no one remembers everything that happened In the episode though. I really wanted Clark to remember what Chloe did for him. And, it's just a little too neat and tidy for my taste. But overall a very solid and charming episode!

So since they did a couple really good episodes in a row that means, judging by previous history, the next episode will be somewhat nonsensical and odd, right? As I said before, this show is crazy uneven, but I think I'm starting to become more than a passive watcher...mmm...maybe? ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 3

I was sure I was gonna be rolling my eyes throughout the-Lex-gets-split-into-good-and-evil one, but Rosenbaum really knocked that one out of the park. I found myself really wrapped up in the episode even though I think it's a shame they showed their hand so early in the episode. I did find it kinda silly that Lionel is suddenly evil again after a little duel. Maybe they were saying he was always evil, though?

Onyx is one of my favorites! I loved bad!Lex, though. He was hilarious. My favorite moment is when he sees the Kents all staring at him slack-jawed, and he points to his Kryptonite ring and is like YEAH I KNOW, RIGHT?! Hahahaha. Oh, another scene I love is when he shows up at Lana's apartment to lazily try to get into her pants, and she's not interested, and he's like, "well, OK, I'm selling the Talon then. FYI & bye." He was cracking me up the whole time. I kept hoping to see more of that version of Lex, but it was not to be. So I have to get my fill by re-watching Onyx from time to time. :)

I don't know that they were saying that Lionel's evil through and through, though. I think it's more that he just REALLY hates Lex. Like, to the depths of his soul hates him. Not to spoil anything, but Lionel's schtick of ~turning over a new leaf,~ while simultaneously ACTIVELY hating the shit out of Lex, is an ongoing thing. Also, this isn't all that long after he tried to murder Lex by switching bodies with him, and then by trying to choke the life out of him -- but even now that he's "reformed," he really doesn't seem to feel bad about it. Even if everything else that was malignant in Lionel was "cured" when he was possessed by Clark, his hate toward his kid obviously remained. Which I guess is kind of sad but fitting, since Lex ultimately becomes Clark's nemesis, too (I mean in Superman lore, not as a show spoiler).

In that fencing match between Lionel and Lex, when Lex kept trying to goad Lionel, I was actually kind of shocked when Lionel actually started snarling and gave Lex an uppercut so hard it knocked him flat on the ground. Lionel really couldn't hold it together for more than five seconds when faced with some relatively mild goading? And how hard do you have to hit a grown man's face to send him flying onto the ground, anyway? Damn. And I was surprised at how mild bad!Lex's reaction to that was, too. I mean, he was pissed, but it was more like he was stoking up some long-simmering rage than like he was actually going to continue escalating things or like he was going to start curling his lip a la Lionel. Which was in contrast to how, all good!Lex had to do was look sort of sad and bewildered, and that got bad!Lex screaming in his face and flipping out and talking about how much he would enjoy tormenting him. I dunno, I thought it was interesting that bad!Lex was trying to get in Lionel's face and trying to get him to attack and trying to fight with him, since ordinarily, Lex just kind of tries not to engage with Lionel. And I thought it was interesting how relatively mild he was with Lionel considering how fiery he was with everyone else (including the other half of his own self!). I mean, I get why in terms of the character, I just thought it was an interesting choice on the part of the show to have bad!Lex and Lionel go head-to-head like that, and to have Lionel *still* be the one who flips out and let loose on Lex (rather than the other way around). Though with this show, who knows what the takeaway of that scene is really supposed to be. Maybe we're not even supposed to see Lionel as going over the line, maybe we're supposed to think that Lex threatening him and cutting his cheek afterward is the shocking part. I honestly can't tell.

Also, there's how, at the end of the episode, they have Lex ask Lionel about the cut on his cheek, and I guess that's supposed to show that there's some goodness in him again (despite his black sweater LOL), but Lionel still doesn't ask him about his jaw. So maybe the show IS trying to say that Lionel doesn't really have any goodness in him? Idk.

Oh, something else that I thought was interesting is that that episode made it clear that the only reason Lex doesn't "know" Clark's secret, and I guess this goes for everyone else in Clark's life that doesn't "know," is because he's trying to be friendly/respectful to Clark by remaining "ignorant" until Clark gives him the OK.

• Love 1
(edited)

Onyx is one of my favorites! I loved bad!Lex, though. He was hilarious. My favorite moment is when he sees the Kents all staring at him slack-jawed, and he points to his Kryptonite ring and is like YEAH I KNOW, RIGHT?! Hahahaha. Oh, another scene I love is when he shows up at Lana's apartment to lazily try to get into her pants, and she's not interested, and he's like, "well, OK, I'm selling the Talon then. FYI & bye." He was cracking me up the whole time. I kept hoping to see more of that version of Lex, but it was not to be. So I have to get my fill by re-watching Onyx from time to time. :)

I know! When I first saw "evil" Lex pop into frame I was thinking, "Oh, so, we're doing a split-person episode are we? Sigh."  I was really surprised how drawn into the episode I became, though. I kinda wished they hadn't tipped their hand so early in the episode and let the audience know there were two Lexes because I think what could've made the episode sit even higher is if I didn't know there were two Lexes until he popped up behind Lex in the study. I guess I just like a little more mystery, but still a very fine episode, IMO.

Oh, something else that I thought was interesting is that that episode made it clear that the only reason Lex doesn't "know" Clark's secret, and I guess this goes for everyone else in Clark's life that doesn't "know," is because he's trying to be friendly/respectful to Clark by remaining "ignorant" until Clark gives him the OK.

Yeah, I kinda see it as their affection for Clark clouds their perception of things. Take Chloe, she's the first to notice something is off about anyone else, but Clark has vanished in her presence more times than I can count and she needed someone else to put two and two together for her? I just figured it was the same with Lex; he knows something's off with Clark, but his "good" side won't let him really embrace the idea for the fear that Clark will shut him out entirely.

Edited by DittyDotDot
(edited)

Anyway,  it was Blank that won me over! How awesome were some of those scenes

with Chloe and Clark? I kinda fell in love with Chloe in this episode. I

actually fell a little in love with Tom Welling, too. I usually find him

adequate and all, but every now and again he'll wow me and he did just that in

this one. I'm really disappointed no one remembers everything that happened In

the episode though. I really wanted Clark to remember what Chloe did for him.

And, it's just a little too neat and tidy for my taste. But overall a very solid

and charming episode!

I loved Blank.  Oh, I remember biting my nails through the whole thing terrified that this was where they would erase her knowledge of Clark's secret and then they had her strapped in about ready for just that to happen when Clark reveals his secret rather than risk the procedure.  Clark is still in the dark about Chloe but she at least got to keep her memory of babysitting him and I really think that Clark is the one willfully deluding himself about what Chloe knows.  For one she has NOT been subtle about the hints she keeps dropping, lol. 

The prom one was fun on one level but it was also SOOOO frustrating for the show to circle back to Clark and Lana.  Clark, at the very least dance with the Prom Queen ONCE at her prom!  Actually, I didn't care specifically if it was Clark, I just HATED that no one danced with her.  How did that at all make sense from a story telling stand point?    I also couldn't get on board with Jason going evil all of a sudden.  It came out of nowhere IMO and In his early interaction with his mom he clearly was not a part of her agenda but all that gets retconned. 

You are right about him going to Supernatural he next season.  I'd like to think that explains his radical change in behavior but I have lived through the end of season 8 so I will instead blame lazy writers. 

So since they did a couple really good episodes in a row that means, judging by previous history, the next episode will be somewhat nonsensical and odd, right? As I said before, this show is crazy uneven, but I think I'm starting to become more than a passive watcher...mmm...maybe? ;)

Ageless is the episode that comes after Blank and yeah, it has been nominated as one of the most absurd of the series.  Welling is good with the actor they brought in, he is always great with kids but the premise is terrible and over the top and of course by this point I wanted to gouge my eyes out over the Clana.  I've tried to avoid this one so I don't remember all the details but the

exploding child

plot is one that thankfully I have never seen borrowed on any other show. 

After Ageless you get to finish the season up with a pair of pretty solid episodes.   You should enjoy them...just don't expect a lot of logic on the resolution to the witch storyline.  In the finale it gets resolved ridiculously fast like the writers just wanted it over with.  Then Lana randomly decides a certain choice feels right that had no basis in any logic whatsoever but at that point I couldn't have cared less about the stupid stones.  I will say I liked what they did with them but any connection to the French witch was absurd.  

Absurd, but Spell has become a favorite because it is so silly.  The actresses all looked like they were having fun.  Lots of great expressions.  Kirsten Kruek I swear is a better actress (or at least a lot more fun) when she plays "evil") . 

Looking forward to hearing your pending reactions.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

The prom one was fun on one level but it was also SOOOO frustrating for the show to circle back to Clark and Lana.  Clark, at the very least dance with the Prom Queen ONCE at her prom!  Actually, I didn't care specifically if it was Clark, I just HATED that no one danced with her.  How did that at all make sense from a story telling stand point?    I also couldn't get on board with Jason going evil all of a sudden.  It came out of nowhere IMO and In his early interaction with his mom he clearly was not a part of her agenda but all that gets retconned. 

Since I'm not much of a shipper, I actually don't really care about Lana and Clark as a couple or not, but just kinda tired of them circling each other with sad eyes--after four seasons it's wearing a bit thin, IMO. I too was disappointed he didn't dance with Chloe, or as you said, no one danced with Chloe--that was a big let down of the episode. And, maybe it's just me, but what was Jason doing just standing outside of the prom and lurking? I'm always amused by stuff like this, so I was giggling when Jason was glaring at Lana and Clark. I also found the Lana and Clark stuff in Blank a bit annoying, but the rest of the episode was solid so I ignored it.

Absurd, but Spell has become a favorite because it is so silly.  The actresses all looked like they were having fun.  Lots of great expressions.  Kirsten Kruek I swear is a better actress (or at least a lot more fun) when she plays "evil") . 

I agree that Kristen is better when playing "bad", but I've come to the conclusion that it's because she's having fun when doing it and it's always more fun for me when you can tell the actor is loving what they're doing. There was an episode in S1 where she has all her inhibitions taken away and I remember thinking I really liked that Lana a lot.

After Ageless you get to finish the season up with a pair of pretty solid episodes.   You should enjoy them...just don't expect a lot of logic on the resolution to the witch storyline.  In the finale it gets resolved ridiculously fast like the writers just wanted it over with.  Then Lana randomly decides a certain choice feels right that had no basis in any logic whatsoever but at that point I couldn't have cared less about the stupid stones.  I will say I liked what they did with them but any connection to the French witch was absurd.  

Ah, good to know my powers of observation didn't fail me--and it's always good to be prepared. I figured the stones and the witches wouldn't make much sense since they haven't really made much sense from the beginning. I'll probably just go with it in the end, usually easier that way.

I know! When I first saw "evil" Lex pop into frame I was thinking, "Oh, so, we're doing a split-person episode are we? Sigh."  I was really surprised how drawn into the episode I became, though. I kinda wished they hadn't tipped their hand so early in the episode and let the audience know there were two Lexes because I think what could've made the episode sit even higher is if I didn't know there were two Lexes until he popped up behind Lex in the study. I guess I just like a little more mystery, but still a very fine episode, IMO.

I agree that a mystery would likely have been more fun. But maybe they thought that it would be a better episode if we knew the whole time that bad!Lex *really was* Lex himself, and not just someone impersonating him.

I have to admit that I do think that a major reason I love bad!Lex so much is that he really does seem to be basically the same Lex as ever, but fully come into himself, no longer so insecure. If you were having to spend a fair amount of the time that he's onscreen busy trying to suss out if he's really just Tina Greer or someone else impersonating Lex, he likely wouldn't have been as interesting or fun to watch imo.

That's my "glass half full" version, anyway. I think the plot of the episode would have been better if there had been more of a mystery of what was going on with Lex, but I think that it wouldn't have been as interesting in terms of the characterizations.

I don't just mean in terms of Lex's characterization, either. I thought it was interesting that Clark was so certain that bad!Lex wasn't really Lex, but didn't see any difference between good!Lex and regular-flavor!Lex (even though Chloe seemed to sniff out that something was strange about him). And I thought it was interesting that Lionel really didn't find bad!Lex any more appealing or "strong" than he did regular-flavor!Lex.

he knows something's off with Clark, but his "good" side won't let him really embrace the idea for the fear that Clark will shut him out entirely.

This is what I often find frustrating about Clark. He can be so cold and closed off. More than anyone else, Chloe breaks her back trying to be supportive and helpful to Clark, and is clear that her support is pretty unconditional. And even Lex makes clear that he *really* doesn't want to lose his friendship with Clark. How come Clark can't give either of them the same sort of commitment? I don't get it.

With Chloe, she's pretty clear that part of that commitment comes from altruism, because she really does think that Clark is a hero. And Clark seems to understand/accept that, even though he doesn't really seem to feel the same sort of altruistic responsibility to be a hero as Chloe does to helping someone be a hero. But Clark seems downright perplexed that Lex cares about staying friends with pretty much the only person who sees the good in him, which I find perplexing on Clark's part. What I find so confusing is that, if Clark really did appreciate Chloe's belief in him, and the way she encourages/helps him do good, then how could he not also appreciate that his belief in someone else (for example, Lex), and encouraging/helping that person do good, would be important to that person, too (and you'd think that that would also be important to Clark himself, like it's important to Chloe herself that she's able to help Clark)?

Idk, sometimes Clark just seems so impenetrable/disconnected. And Chloe's commitment to him in the face of that makes me feel kind of weird about her, too. I mean, it's good that she's committed to helping him be a hero, but I just don't really understand where she's coming from emotionally. In her place, I would probably also help him help others, out of a sense of duty, but would be INCREDIBLY resentful of Clark and kind of hate him for the way he takes that help/support for granted, lol. Well, that might be getting kind of too general for S4, Idk. I'll have to go back and watch Blank tonight or tomorrow and see how it changes things.

There is a reason, lol, that Clark never shed his BDA nickname. Over and over the big dumb alien just is so blind and clueless.

I think we are supposed to think Clark instinctively distrusts Lex somehow knowing he is bad all the way through but the show just IMO has not supported that.

Oh and the stuff about Lana in Blank, yeah, seriously, eww!

There is a reason, lol, that Clark never shed his BDA nickname. Over and over the big dumb alien just is so blind and clueless.

Funny. For the longest time, over at TWoP, I thought BDA stood for Big Dumb Ass.  Still means the same thing, but you remember how it was, BkWurm1--acronyms were never 'splained!

BTW, Jason is finally becoming scary--in a good way! I assume the switch is due to Jensen getting Supernatural? Either that or it's the best long con I've seen in a very long time.

As someone else said, Jason suddenly being revealed as having been evil all along is a total retcon. In earlier episodes, they had him do things that made it clear that he wasn't involved in whatever his mother was doing. If anything, he was worried about what she was up to.

The fact that they then turned around and tried to say he'd been evil all along, no matter what had happened before, felt like an insult to my intelligence. And so unnecessary. I mean, I could've bought Jason snapping under the pressure of everything that was going on. But, then again, that would've been a little harder to write than them just saying, "Forget what we told you before. Jason's been evil from the start."

I have to admit that I do think that a major reason I love bad!Lex so much is that he really does seem to be basically the same Lex as ever, but fully come into himself, no longer so insecure.

Have to admit I didn't really care for "Onyx." I thought MR did a great job, and was really having fun with it, and I enjoy it on that level. But the Bad!Lex in that episode felt strangely out of character. All I kept thinking the whole time was that, no, this is not what I want or expect Lex to be like when he goes full dark side. Because Bad!Lex was just too two-dimensional and mustache twirly.

And I really don't think Bad!Lex was the "true" Lex, or anything like that. To me, it was more like that Star Trek episode where Kirk got split in half, and Bad!Kirk went around trying to murder and sexually assualt people. Now, since Bad!Kirk was a part of Kirk, you could say there's a dark part of Kirk that's capable of doing stuff like that. But was Bad!Kirk who Kirk truly was deep inside? Of course not! (It's Captain Kirk.) And I feel the same way with "Onyx." Bad!Lex was the darkness inside Lex let loose to run wild. But I didn't take that to mean that was who Lex "truly was" deep inside.

Although, given the wacky messages this show sometimes came up with, who knows what I was supposed to think. On most shows that do the "person's dark side got out and did bad things" storyline, the message was always that even truly good people have a dark side that's capable of some pretty terrible things. With SV, I could see them trying to say, "Lex has a dark side, which proves he's meant to be evil."

• Love 2

S4 is now complete and I have to say, I didn't mind Ageless all that much. Sure, it's a silly premise, but it's that kind of show so it's to be expected from time to time, I guess. I really didn't care much for the Lana and Clark stuff, but Welling was really good in the episode. Not only with the baby and the little kid, but the teenage kid, too. In general, I feel like Welling finally grew into the role in S4. Up till now I've found him adequate, but he seemed to connect with some of the stories more this season and Ageless really highlighted that for me. So, even though I really didn't get why Clark and Lana are suddenly back together again after one little dance at the prom, I still found it a decent episode Not great or anything crazy like that, but watchable, anyway.

Oh, and Ageless also gave me that funny feeling I get when seeing Supernatural alums show up even though they're younger on this show. Not only because of Jensen, but wee Sam Winchester and a demon-possessed son of a wicken, too? Everything seems to lead back to Supernatural for me lately. Sigh.

Anyhoo, Forever was a nice sentiment, but didn't really do much for me in the end. The Jason/Lex/Lionel side of things really didn't gel well for me. And, I know the show was shot in Vancouver and generally ignore the lush rainforests of central Kansas, but couldn't do it this time--that forest was just too lush for me this time. And really, I don't even know what those mannequins were supposed to be and the scene where the baddie falls over the stairs elicited a full-on chuckle from me as the visual effects for this episode really should get the hokey award. However, Allison Mack really stood out in the episode, for me.

Commencement is a solid finale, but I tend to find I don't really get too wrapped up in the long-running mythology of most shows like this, so it wasn't anything that grabbed me much. Interesting development with the spaceship and I can only guess what that harbors as I'm not familiar with the comics, but did see a couple of the movies when I was a kid. I did find it somewhat funny that Lana killed Genevieve with one of the stones though. Kristen was really good in the scene where Lex finds her shaking over that corpse, though. But yeah, the witches and the stones don't really make much sense in the end, but whatever. So, are we done with the witches now since the symbol was removed from Lana? Please tell me we're done with the witches.

As someone else said, Jason suddenly being revealed as having been evil all along is a total retcon. In earlier episodes, they had him do things that made it clear that he wasn't involved in whatever his mother was doing. If anything, he was worried about what she was up to.

The fact that they then turned around and tried to say he'd been evil all along, no matter what had happened before, felt like an insult to my intelligence. And so unnecessary. I mean, I could've bought Jason snapping under the pressure of everything that was going on. But, then again, that would've been a little harder to write than them just saying, "Forget what we told you before. Jason's been evil from the start."

I don't know, I've been thinking about it and it does make some sense. I don't feel like it was really planned to be such, but there was that episode pretty early-on where everyone gets trapped in their worst fears and Jason breaks up with Lana after he realizes his fears are about Lana rejecting him. It could be read as he realized he had feelings for Lana and wasn't only using her anymore. And, his "I don't think your ready for a relationship like this" reason in the next episode kinda takes on a different light. But, yeah, there's also the scene of him and his mother in the car where he asks her if he met Lana by accident. Some of the other scenes can be read to be them keeping up appearances in public, but that one wasn't public...so? I guess it can be made to make some sort of sense, but maybe it really doesn't?

So, are we done with the witches now since the symbol was removed from Lana? Please tell me we're done with the witches.

We're done with the witches. 

Next season...VAMPIRES!!  Lol, I wish I were kidding but it's only one episode at least.  Truthfully, I mostly ignore the Vampire parts, and rather love the rest of the episode.   

We're done with the witches. 

Next season...VAMPIRES!!  Lol, I wish I were kidding but it's only one episode at least.  Truthfully, I mostly ignore the Vampire parts, and rather love the rest of the episode.   

Oh, I wish you were kidding too. I have kind of an aversion to most things witchy and vampirey, but I survived the witches, so I can survive the vampires too, I guess. ;)

(edited)

It might make you feel a little better that these vampires are not of the mythical kind but instead a disease (Chloe can show you the CDC reports)  involving bats and Kryptonite that then gave the affected their powers.  Yeah, it's a cold comfort.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
(edited)

It might make you feel a little better that these vampires are not of the mythical kind but instead a disease (Chloe can show you the CDC reports)  involving bats and Kryptonite that then gave the affected their powers.  Yeah, it's a cold comfort.  

Oh, it wouldn't be Smallville if there wasn't meteor rock involved! ;) Now I'm somewhat looking forward to the episode; might be good for a laugh!

Well, one of the vampires was named Buffy. Which is either funny (in a cheesy way), or painful depending on how you look at it. Which is pretty much how I feel about the episode. Either a viewer will see it as so cheesy it's hilarious, or watching it will just be painful. For me, the episode was just painful in so many ways, but you might get a kick out of it. 

Edited by Bitterswete

Buffy was just a name assigned to protect the identity of the "vapid".   

There were other parts to the episode that I really enjoyed as can be proved by current ability to actually provide quotes, lol. 

• Love 1

Have to admit I didn't really care for "Onyx." I thought MR did a great job, and was really having fun with it, and I enjoy it on that level. But the Bad!Lex in that episode felt strangely out of character. All I kept thinking the whole time was that, no, this is not what I want or expect Lex to be like when he goes full dark side. Because Bad!Lex was just too two-dimensional and mustache twirly.

And I really don't think Bad!Lex was the "true" Lex, or anything like that. To me, it was more like that Star Trek episode where Kirk got split in half, and Bad!Kirk went around trying to murder and sexually assualt people. Now, since Bad!Kirk was a part of Kirk, you could say there's a dark part of Kirk that's capable of doing stuff like that. But was Bad!Kirk who Kirk truly was deep inside? Of course not! (It's Captain Kirk.) And I feel the same way with "Onyx." Bad!Lex was the darkness inside Lex let loose to run wild. But I didn't take that to mean that was who Lex "truly was" deep inside.

I don't think bad!Lex was actual!Lex or who Lex "truly was." I think he was just the personification of all of Lex's worst impulses. So it made sense to me that he was so impish and silly, even though Lex himself isn't especially impish and silly. Imo he was sort of like Lex's "imp of the perverse" let loose. I thought that it was believeable that whenever someone was inconvenient to him, bad!Lex's impulse was, "[shrug] guess I'll just kill them," and that once he'd killed the inconvient person (or tried to, anyway), he figured, "problem solved!" Or how, when Lex went to Lana's, he almost immediately made a move on her, then started sulking about Jason, and when he figured she'd rejected him, told her he was selling the Talon and she'd have to GTFO. That's not how actual!Lex functions, because he's a character with at least *some* complexity and isn't childish. But it makes sense that that's how the personification of all his worst/most base impulses would act imo.

What I liked about bad!Lex (aside from just enjoying him because he was fun imo) was that I thought some of those "bad impulses" actually were pretty specific to Lex as a character. Like how bad!Lex still didn't really have a temper and wasn't hotheaded (that's what I thought was interesting about his scene with Lionel). And that he tried so hard to provoke Lionel at all. And how his first thought when he figured out that Clark has superpowers was that they should join forces (and that, since Lex is a control freak with no boundaries (imo), he very soon starts fantasizing about controlling Clark and using him basically as a puppet). And how even when he's threatening the Kents and shoots Jonathan in the leg, he starts musing about how maybe the Kents are sort of like the Luthors after all. And just in general, how he kept spotting opportunities or "clues" and then leveraged them as far and as fast as he possibly could (like with the Kryptonite ring). I think that's something that Lex just generally does -- he's an opportunist. 

I enjoyed that episode in the same way that I enjoyed episodes like Fear or Truth -- I like seeing one aspect of a character run amok, or to see some facet of the characters in a new light.

But imo what Onyx emphasized about Lex was that there was actual good in him, and that he wasn't lying about his better motives/impulses (like for his "end world hunger using meteor rocks" experiment), either, and that who he was on any given regular day was much more like his "best" self than his "worst" self. I think that bad!Lex being so unlike regular!Lex in terms of personality and behavior was purposeful. There *was* bad in him, but it was so foreign to Clark because Lex really did keep those impulses pretty heavily under wraps. I guess they were so heavily under wraps that they were even hidden from himself, since, once he was back to normal, he didn't "know" a lot of what bad!Lex had learned.

I think that another thing that Onyx emphasized was that a lot of the drive that actual!Lex had to do *good* things came from the fire/desperating/whatever of his worst impulses/"self." And later on, (VERY VAGUE NO SPOILERS) imo a lot of what's good in Lex, like wanting to connect with people, is what leads him astry.

Commencement is a solid finale, but I tend to find I don't really get too wrapped up in the long-running mythology of most shows like this, so it wasn't anything that grabbed me much. Interesting development with the spaceship and I can only guess what that harbors as I'm not familiar with the comics, but did see a couple of the movies when I was a kid. I did find it somewhat funny that Lana killed Genevieve with one of the stones though. Kristen was really good in the scene where Lex finds her shaking over that corpse, though. But yeah, the witches and the stones don't really make much sense in the end, but whatever. So, are we done with the witches now since the symbol was removed from Lana? Please tell me we're done with the witches.

SV is SO. BAD. at mytharc storylines. The caves and the stones both give me a migrane.

But, despite the storyline making no sense and taking forever, I kind of liked Lana as the witch. Kristin Kreuk could really pull off the maniacal laughter. Also, it was a nice break to see Lana as something other than the Damsel in Distress or the Object of Every Crazy Person's Affection.

The finale isn't one of my favorites, though. For me, the worst part of that ending was probably when Jason just fell off a cliff. Seriously? That could not have been the ending they envisioned for him. LOL.

Jason didn't really register for me, to be honest. He was there as a love interest for the show's love interest and...didn't get a whole lot of character development. So it wasn't so much that I didn't believe it when he started scheming with his mom, I just didn't really care. Not that I was trying really hard to understand the witch storyline in general, though. The stones were just killing me, I must have fastforwarded through a lot of that. Those episodes when they all go to China? OMFG.

Also, I actually like Lois pretty well (UO, I know -- and maybe this is also because I have yet to see the last couple seasons of the show. But I like how she's always trashtalking everybody and yet is always such a putz), but the worst she ever was imo was in that episode with her sister. The backstory of her dead mother etc etc etc just didn't work for me *shrug.*

(edited)

Also, I actually like Lois pretty well (UO, I know -- and maybe this is also because I have yet to see the last couple seasons of the show. But I like how she's always trashtalking everybody and yet is always such a putz), but the worst she ever was imo was in that episode with her sister. The backstory of her dead mother etc etc etc just didn't work for me *shrug.*

You know, at first I found her off-putting and just didn't understand the point of her since they already had Chloe, but by the end of the season I really didn't care anymore. I'm not sure if it's that she grew on me or if I just didn't find her interesting enough to care about? For the most part, they used her to come in and be awesome here and there, but she had no real impact on the story or the other characters, IMO. I really didn't like the Lucy episode much either, but then I also thought it didn't make a whole lot of sense. Not so much the backstory for Lois, but the overall plot of the episode. It felt like they forced a lot of that story.

The finale isn't one of my favorites, though. For me, the worst part of that ending was probably when Jason just fell off a cliff. Seriously? That could not have been the ending they envisioned for him. LOL.

Jason didn't really register for me, to be honest. He was there as a love interest for the show's love interest and...didn't get a whole lot of character development. So it wasn't so much that I didn't believe it when he started scheming with his mom, I just didn't really care. Not that I was trying really hard to understand the witch storyline in general, though. The stones were just killing me, I must have fastforwarded through a lot of that. Those episodes when they all go to China? OMFG.

Jason didn't end when he went over that cliff (that happened in the previous episode), he came back in the finale and held Martha and Jonathan captive with a shot gun while covered in a laugh-worthy amount of blood and was in the house when a meteor hits it at the end. I'm guessing they'll just say he died in the blast in the S5 premiere, but we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

I don't think they did much with him in the end, but there was an episode or two after the nightmare one that I was curious what Jason was really up to and it seemed he could be more than just a love interest. I really didn't care for the Genevieve character though. Yes, I know I'm not supposed to like her, but it was more that she was just so obvious and all that I was usually rolling my eyes out of my head whenever she was on-screen. To me, they already had Jason and Genevieve in Lex and Lionel, so, much like Lois, I just didn't get the point of them in the end.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

See, it's been so long, and I can't remember (!) but I think I enjoyed the finale if only because of the stone that Clark threw, which gave us the Fortress of Solitude.  It was an amazing shot. So beautiful.  And my heart hadn't become this cold, cockled thing just yet. It was a sight to behold.

• Love 1

Ok, so I'll admit. I have no idea what the stones arc was all about. I really, truly can't make sense of it. I was so frustrated watching this season because so far the show has had pretty decent season long arcs. Like the Nixon one in 1, the ship and Krypton in 2 and the Luthor one in 3. But here it was like, I was scratching my head throughout. And then there was the whole Isabella and Genevive and Jason angle thrown in. A shame because I actually liked Jason for his first few episodes.

I also sensed a shift in tone this season. I can't pinpoint what but it was there. Overall, I don't think this was as strong a season as the previous ones before it. There were some really bad episodes like Krypto, Sacred, Ageless and Forever. 

And yet. The funny thing is that I'm still really enjoying the show on the whole. I think I'm sold on the characters so completely by now that I'm in it basically till the end, no matter how many crazy witch storylines are thrown at me. 

What I think season 4 really has going for it are it episodes that are good, are very good. This season already has some of my favorite episodes so far. I absolutely loved Crusade, Run, Transference and Commencement. I think the Alicia mini arc was done really well. Surprisingly poignant. And some silly episodes that on paper would seem ridiculous, actually turned out to be a hoot, like Facade, Devoted, Spell and Spirit. 

Lois had such a wonderful introduction in those first four episodes, I almost wish she weren't brought back for more in the season. I was completely surprised to see her on in Crusade in the first place, and enjoyed every minute we got of her till Devoted. She seemed like such a fun addition. And although I think she had some nice moments in the rest of the season, they should have just shown her off traveling or something, and then maybe bring her back the next season. Because the show doesn't seem to want her to start her journalism career yet or romance with Clark, despite the odd hints and moments here and there. It would have been nice not to waste her just being around. I don't know if I'm making sense but that's the feeling I got. I also think it's weird that Clark and Lois had this fantastic chemistry in the first four episodes and you could genuinely see this pull between them and then poof. Gone. It's like their scenes later on were written for another two characters altogether. 

Lana. Oh dear. This was such a trainwreck season for her. And for Clark and Lana. The yo-yo continues. Kristin Kreuk is a good actress I think and when they just let her be and be funny and charming, I remember why I liked Lana.

I am LOVING that Chloe knows about Clark. The growth in Chloe is remarkable. She was just terrific throughout the whole season but especially in Commencement. Girl is loyal and fierce! Clark is incredibly lucky to have her in his life. I loved the Chloe and Lois bond as well. These two actresses play well off each other.

Horrid season for Lex, I think. Not much better for Clark either but I think Tom Welling has just grown into the most gorgeous man.

Still love the Kents. Getting a bit tired of Lionel. I feel really sad about that. 

And yet. The funny thing is that I'm still really enjoying the show on the whole. I think I'm sold on the characters so completely by now that I'm in it basically till the end, no matter how many crazy witch storylines are thrown at me.

By the end I was longing for crazy witch story lines. I stopped purely enjoying the show about midway through season six. I couldn't stop but I was not frequently not happy but I didn't quit until the end of season eight. And then I still kept track of MY characters on YouTube and then got sucked back in for the second half of nine and select episodes of ten. (And then caved about a year later and watched them all - with rage and sadness).

The stones arc makes a little more sense on repeated viewings but not a lot more, lol. I'm still not sure why Lana decided Clark should have hers and the negative retconning they did on Jason still bugs me.

I actually liked Lois in her first two episodes but I was already having issues by her third and yeah, let's just say she's not ever going to be who I think of when I think Lois Lane. She and Clark had way too much of a sibling vibe by Kypto. I did love the Clo-Lo relationship. Sigh. Wasted opportunities.

Ok, so I'll admit. I have no idea what the stones arc was all about. I really, truly can't make sense of it.

The stones arc makes a little more sense on repeated viewings but not a lot more, lol.

I eventually just gave up on trying to understand that whole storyline. Usually, I can make sense of a story arc. Even if a lot of it feels contrived, or not put together well (like there are plot holes, or things that don't totally make sense), I still get what the arc was about.

With season 4 of SV, I have no clue. And no amount of fanwanking helped, so I stopped trying to figure it out. Which was kind of a relief, because trying to make sense of that season made my head hurt.

And I think that, by the end of season four, the writers stopped trying to make sense of the season too. They'd thrown all of this stuff on screen but didn't know how to tie it together or make sense of it. So they didn't really try. They just ended the plot lines they had going on that season (lamely, for the most part), and kept on like a lot of that stuff never happened.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 1

The only thing I liked about the suckitude that was the stones arc, was when all three pieces came together and Clark threw it? It gave me the Fortress of Solitude, which, I know I've said before, was AWESOME!!!!!!!! and what a way to end the season!

• Love 1
The only thing I liked about the suckitude that was the stones arc, was when all three pieces came together and Clark threw it? It gave me the Fortress of Solitude, which, I know I've said before, was AWESOME!!!!!!!! and what a way to end the season!

That's true! I've been noticing that Smallville does these 'big' moments really well. 

I remember being so excited in the season premiere because Clark was flying. And I might be in the minority that liked Lois (or at least didn't hate her), but I thought their first encounter with brainwashed Clark being naked in the cornfield was priceless. Also loved the part where he literally picks her up to move her out of his way at the hospital, and Lois gives a startled-yet-secretly-turned-on smile.

Of course the Shelby episode was great. I'm a fan of any episode where Clark was actually happy (without Lana), partly because Tom Welling has a gorgeous smile.

And I might be in the minority that liked Lois (or at least didn't hate her), but I thought their first encounter with brainwashed Clark being naked in the cornfield was priceless.

I liked Lois at first, especially in her first episode. And I really wanted to like her because I'm a fan of the Lois Lane character. But, by her fourth or fifth episode, I finally admitted she wasn't as great as I wanted her to be. And it was all downhill from there.

That being said, there were moments when I found Lois likable, so I didn't actually hate her character. It was just that, most of the time, she was written in a way that made her annoy me more than anything else.

Like I've said before, I think they were trying to do a Cordelia Chase thing with Lois. She was rude and bitchy, but we were supposed to like her (or at least think she was funny) anyway. But it just didn't work, mostly because I rarely thought anything she did was actually funny, so I just saw her as rude and obnoxious.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 1

I liked Lois at first, especially in her first episode. And I really wanted to like her because I'm a fan of the Lois Lane character. But, by her fourth or fifth episode, I finally admitted she wasn't as great as I wanted her to be. And it was all downhill from there.

That being said, there were moments when I found Lois likable, so I didn't actually hate her character. It was just that, most of the time, she was written in a way that made her annoy me more than anything else.

Like I've said before, I think they were trying to do a Cordelia Chase thing with Lois. She was rude and bitchy, but we were supposed to like her (or at least think she was funny) anyway. But it just didn't work, mostly because I rarely thought anything she did was actually funny, so I just saw her as rude and obnoxious.

Yeah, I was pleased with Lois in the first two episodes but by the time she went to college I was happy to see her go. 

I think the very worst thing IMO about Lois is that I found her dumb and a stupid Lois is not one that I could accept.  I could still like aspects of her but I couldn't buy into her being THE Lois. 

I liked Lois well enough until she barged into the Kent home, demanding where the coffee was, where Clark was, just basically walking over Martha, and then complaining and grabbing a mug and pouring coffee for her damn self. And that was in the first episode--so after 10 minutes, I went from 'eh, she's okay' to get off my fucking screen.

Durance's portrayal didn't help. Her Lois just fucking grated.

• Love 3

And heeeeere's Season 4, and how the creators, writers or whoever, trying to convince me that Lana, in less than three months, is suddenly this sophisticated girl, and not the whiny, nagging, woeisme, did you know my parents were killed by the meteor shower mouse. At least she's not wearing pink anymore.

But I have to laugh and laugh at her atrocious French accent and inability to say latin and be believable as the witch, Isabel.  

Lana is still her judgy self.

But, but, but! We got Clark flying! Totally Awesome, was "Crusade" even if it was Kal-El and not Clark, flying. Welling looked soooo hawwwt in black. And his non-contracting speak of "I am fine" to Lois.  And how'd I never realize how that one patient was ogling Clark's fine ass at the medical center when his blanket fell off his shoulders? I wonder if Welling really was nekkid, because that was some great, creative editing, to make it look like he was.

And we got "Devoted" a favorite of mine. Clark, the self-delusional fool, telling lying to Chloe and himself that he didn't have those feelings for Chloe. Even if he wasn't over Lana yet, didn't mean he couldn't have those deep-seated feelings for Chloe resurrected. Because the way he looked at her in "Bound" when he and Chloe were reconstructing/role playing Lex and whoever that woman he was with in the elevator, before the elevator door opened? Suuuuure, Clark. Suuuuure you don't have feelings for Chloe. You keep telling yourself that, buddy.

And "Transference."  This episode showed me what a good actor Tom Welling really is; the way he was channeling Glover's Lionel, was nothing short of perfection.

The return of Alicia in "Safe" never fails to make me cry. At the end, when Alicia is crying and Clark is holding her; and YAY!!! Chloe learns the truth about Clark! She is the BEST. Though I think she pretty much suspected something in "Jinx" from the way she looked at Clark at the end, trying to figure out how she got free.

I love Martha. I really do. And I was trying very hard to see things from her side, but man, I really wanted Clark to say something to her after Alicia was murdered. I suppose I will have to be satisfied with her guilty expression at the end.  And that last scene with Clark and Chloe at Alicia's grave. I have no words. I'm loving these episodes and feeling bitter at the same time, because, I know what's coming.

I do love how Chloe almost slips with her comments about Clark and he's giving her the side-eye, while they're working together in "Recruit."

Lois in "Krypto" just emphasized just how obnoxious and unlikeable Lois is as a character for me. Calling Shelby "Clarkie" or telling him he can't name the dog what he wants, acting just well, like Clark is the guest, and not her damn self.

And I am sooo enjoying NOT seeing Lana in the end tags this season.

It's too bad we never got to see Margot Kidder and Christopher Reeve share any scenes together, though I did like the *wink*wink* references of their relationship within this show in "Crusade."

Now I'm trying to remember if it was this season or next that Clark gets zapped and has amnesia for most of the episode, not knowing he has the powers, and Chloe is helping him. Because she knows. I think it's this season, because she's covering for him, when he accidentally pulls the front door of his house of its hinges. I think.

I think I missed a few things because, not gonna lie, I find myself distracted at times (so I end up rewinding to watch again) by how hawt Tom Welling is looking this season. I can't put my finger on it, but he looks...bigger. In the shoulders. And then there's the mussed up hair.

And I laughed when his response to Alicia's "I'm a virgin" in "Safe" is "That's Great! So am I!"  This is exuberant Clark on Red Kryptonite, instead of Asshole Clark on Red Kryptonite.

I'm trying to figure out when the showrunners decided to make Jason suddenly Evuhl.

And Bart!/Impulse! in "Run." Loved how all his fake IDs were of past Flashes: Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Wally West. Hee.  Clark is just so very good playing big brother--like he did with Ryan and with Bart.  The ending of "Run" makes me smile, because it's not an angsty ending, but a happy one, with Clark smiling.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

And heeeeere's Season 4, and how the creators, writers or whoever, trying to convince me that Lana, in less than three months, is suddenly this sophisticated girl, and not the whiny, nagging, woeisme, did you know my parents were killed by the meteor shower mouse. At least she's not wearing pink anymore.

But I have to laugh and laugh at her atrocious French accent and inability to say latin and be believable as the witch, Isabel.  

Lana is still her judgy self.

But, but, but! We got Clark flying! Totally Awesome, was "Crusade" even if it was Kal-El and not Clark, flying. Welling looked soooo hawwwt in black. And his non-contracting speak of "I am fine" to Lois.  And how'd I never realize how that one patient was ogling Clark's fine ass at the medical center when his blanket fell off his shoulders? I wonder if Welling really was nekkid, because that was some great, creative editing, to make it look like he was.

And we got "Devoted" a favorite of mine. Clark, the self-delusional fool, telling lying to Chloe and himself that he didn't have those feelings for Chloe. Even if he wasn't over Lana yet, didn't mean he couldn't have those deep-seated feelings for Chloe resurrected. Because the way he looked at her in "Bound" when he and Chloe were reconstructing/role playing Lex and whoever that woman he was with in the elevator, before the elevator door opened? Suuuuure, Clark. Suuuuure you don't have feelings for Chloe. You keep telling yourself that, buddy.

And "Transference."  This episode showed me what a good actor Tom Welling really was; the way he was channeling Glover's Lionel, was nothing short of perfection.

The return of Alicia in "Safe" never ceases to make me cry. At the end, when Alicia is crying and Clark is holding her; and YAY!!! Chloe learns the truth about Clark! She is the BEST. Though I think she pretty much suspected something in "Jinx" from the way she looked at Clark at the end, trying to figure out how she got free.

I love Martha. I really do. And I was trying very hard to see things from her side, but man, I really wanted Clark to say something to her after Alicia was murdered. I suppose I will have to be satisfied with her guilty expression at the end.  And that last scene with Clark and Chloe at Alicia's grave. I have no words. I'm loving these episodes and feeling bitter at the same time, because, I know what's coming.

I do love how Chloe almost slips with her comments about Clark and he's giving her the side-eye, while they're working together in "Recruit."

It's too bad we never got to see Margot Kidder and Christopher Reeve share any scenes together, though I did like the *wink*wink* references of their relationship within this show in "Crusade."

Now I'm trying to remember if it was this season or next that Clark gets zapped and has amnesia for most of the episode, not knowing he has the powers, and Chloe is helping him. Because she knows. I think it's this season, because she's covering for him, when he accidentally pulls the front door of his house of its hinges. I think.

Yes, is this season, in tn the final episodes. This episode is so beautiful: you have Chloe trying to tell amnesic Clark that no matter what, she will be a shoulder for him. In the same episode, though, Clark falls for Lana as if it was the first time,.

S4 has good episodes. Transference is an impressive one, and yes, we have Alicia in an episode where Cloe discovers Clark's secret but that ends very tragically.

And, of course, as you mentioned, there's the Clark and Chloe situation, he had a thing for her! And Chloe was super jealous of Lana (and Lois?) this season. I loved when Chloe knows Clark's secret but she doesn't want to tell him, until he is prepared enough for that moment. I think it was a new advance in Clark-Chloe relationship. We have had 3+ years of friendship (well, there are more actually) and now she finally knows that he has powers but they are friends and nothing bad happens. In the final episode the relationship advacnces a step further, Chloe discovers Clark's origins and Clark finally discovers that Chloe knows his secret. From that moment, their friendship is strengthened.

Edited by Chloe

I don't think that Chloe was jealous of Lana by this point. Lois? Yes. In "Gone" I think it was, at the end, when Lois dunked Clark and then she rubbed his hair and he smiled and laughed, you saw Chloe's smile fade and this look of sadness take over.

Clark doesn't learn that Chloe knows his secret until the Season Five premiere--when she's freezing in the snow in the Yukon and asks Clark to use his super speed to get them out of there. And when she's in the hospital, she tells him she's known for some time, and how she came to know his secret.

And yes, it peeves me to no END that Clark falls for Lana (again!) when he's got amnesia. Bah!

It was difficult for me to see Dr. Michaela Quinn Jane Seymour as the villain. I'm so used to her being the good guy, heh. But damned if she isn't gorgeous. I think around this time, she also guest starred on Law & Order: SVU. Though that was a one shot.

I think I'll just fanwank Clark's delusional denial regarding his feelings for Chloe as self-protection, and him not wanting their friendship to implode, like his friendship with Lana did after they broke up. Even though, he and Chloe were good friends for a much longer time, and his friendship with Lana, was superficial at best. Based on what I saw in the first season.

Yes, I forgot it was on S5 premiere...I tend to remember the finales and first episodes as a whole episode because they are always interconnected :)

Well, not at the beginning of S4, but in the final episodes, Chloe is jealous because she sees he falls in love again with Lana when he has amnesia, and also during the Dance before graduating.

Oh, I really liked Jane Seymor as the villain!!! ANd Smallville is famous also  for its cameos from SUperman universe.. I liked each and every of them: Lara-SUpergirl, for example, was another good one. 

Edited by Chloe

Yes, I forgot it was on S5 premiere...I tend to remember the finales and first episodes as a whole episode because they are always interconnected :)

Well, not at the beginning of S4, but in the final episodes, Chloe is jealous because she sees he falls in love again with Lana when he has amnesia, and also during the Dance before graduating.

Oh, I really liked Jane Seymor as the villain!!! ANd Smallville is famous also  for its cameos from SUperman universe.. I liked each and every of them: Lara-SUpergirl, for example, was another good one. 

I didn't see those as jealousy, so much as sadness. I think, by this point, Chloe knows that Clark will forever be in luuuuuuurve with the Pink Pestilence, even though she stopped wearing pink starting this season.  And when Lana said in "Facade" "do you really think that I'm that shallow?" I wanted to yell, "YES!" You really Are THAT shallow!

I'll always be disappointed they never got Clancy Brown, who is the ULTIMATE in Lex Luthor in animation, to make a cameo.

In my opinion, it was both jealousy and sadness....
But yeah, she learned they would never be together.....
She tried last time when they kissed in the apocalypse situation, but even in S8 he still was his most fond memory, she helped him several times after this and in S10 there was a second when she was about to kiss UnrealClark....I think they should have ended together.

I didn't see those as jealousy, so much as sadness. I think, by this point, Chloe knows that Clark will forever be in luuuuuuurve with the Pink Pestilence, even though she stopped wearing pink starting this season.  And when Lana said in "Facade" "do you really think that I'm that shallow?" I wanted to yell, "YES!" You really Are THAT shallow!

I'll always be disappointed they never got Clancy Brown, who is the ULTIMATE in Lex Luthor in animation, to make a cameo.

Poor Lana...I know she was annoying and a bit shallow sometimes...but she became more than Pink, she grew up to be a fierce and also a mature woman, after she learned from her mistakes. That's what I like about her.