Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

Bort

13 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't understand why they had to move the show from Denver to Atlanta. Is Atlanta sexier? Besides, "Denver Carrington" sounds much better as a company than "Carrington Atlanta."

It's probably because Georgia offers huge tax credit financing breaks for productions that shoot there and Colorado offers nothing.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

It's probably because Georgia offers huge tax credit financing breaks for productions that shoot there and Colorado offers nothing.

I wouldn't think tax incentives would dictate the fictional locale. Vancouver stands in for a lot of American cities, but that doesn't mean whatever show is filming there is set in Vancouver.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I wouldn't think tax incentives would dictate the fictional locale. Vancouver stands in for a lot of American cities, but that doesn't mean whatever show is filming there is set in Vancouver.

IIRC, O-R MacGyver on ABC w/Richard Dean Anderson was made in Vancouver (though still set in L.A.) for its third through sixth seasons (1987-91), then went back to L.A. where it was originally done (first two seasons, 1985-87) for its final season (1991-92).

Here's a copyright card from 1989 indicating that MacGyver at this time was done at studios called The Bridge Stages in Vancouver (captured from fifth season within CBS DVD Complete Collection release of MacGyver):

macgyverbcfilming1989.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
9 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

For a second, I read that as Tyler Perry was going to play Alexis Carrington. (!) Now that would be worth tuning in for -- "Medea" as Alexis Carrington.

Bwhaha! That would be hilarious. I might give this show a second chance if that was the case. 

Pretty much everything is filmed here. "Stranger Things," "Vampire Diaries," "Walking Dead," the zillion Avengers movies, The Hunger Games second, third and fourth, etc. 

10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Nothing on American TV actually is set in Canada ;)

Georgia is currently pushing itself bigtime as a filming location. They may have offered extra breaks to shows which give the state even more promotion by actually being set there in addition to being filmed there. Plus Georgia can't really stand in for Colorado. (Mind you, OG Dynasty was actually filmed in southern California and in the few outdoor scenes, it looks nothing like CO either!)

• Love 1

Also, if she's part of this famous DYNASTIC! family and occupies a high-profile position at their company, wouldn't people know who she is and recognize her? (I mean, I've never met Ivanka Trump, but even before the election, if I saw her in an airport, I'd know who she was!)

Exactly. I also don't really buy Elizabeth Gillies as some corporate bigshot - even if her father owns that corporation. She's 24 FFS. And looks every bit of it, if not younger. Also, I'd never seen her in anything else but I spent half the episode wondering if she was Kacy Rohl. They look very similar.

39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Exactly. I also don't really buy Elizabeth Gillies as some corporate bigshot - even if her father owns that corporation. She's 24 FFS. And looks every bit of it, if not younger. Also, I'd never seen her in anything else but I spent half the episode wondering if she was Kacy Rohl. They look very similar.

I also don't buy her as a corporate biggie due to her inability to play well with others and entitled attitude.  Her dad doesn't seem the type to give her a promotion just because she's family. Yes, family connections will get you so far, but they don't mean you'll be successful in your position. As you said, Imonrey, she's barely out of college--assuming she graduated from somewhere. She's so bratty that she probably thinks a formal education is beneath her. LOL She comes across as more Paris Hilton than Christie Hefner. I'm also icked out by her banging the chauffeur, someone in her employ. I get they are trying to keep things along the lines of the original. 

Yes, Medea as Alexis! Hallelujer! 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Oh my dear god whoever the fuck is playing the daughter is atrocious!! Her voice and her delivery is actually causing my eye to twitch.

Yes!  She has exactly two ways of expressing emotions: smirk and sneer.  And the one playing Cristal isn't much better.  

• Love 1
On 10/16/2017 at 0:51 AM, SmithW6079 said:

I don't understand why they had to move the show from Denver to Atlanta. Is Atlanta sexier? Besides, "Denver Carrington" sounds much better as a company than "Carrington Atlanta."

I believe it's Carrington Atlantic.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, jrlr said:

Yes!  She has exactly two ways of expressing emotions: smirk and sneer.  And the one playing Cristal isn't much better.  

I think I can tolerate the one playing Cristal more because she jyst seems to be having ridiculous fun with it.  But yeah,  neither are spectacular.  Of course, I don't think Joan Collins or Linda Evans werethst great either.  The bar,  she is not high for this. 

Any I the only one who thinks the actor playing the son sounds EXACTLY  like Grant Show? It's awesome and weird at the same time. 

Well, I guess I'll have to be the apparently-rare Liz Gillies defender.  I thought she killed it from start to finish, bringing both energy and heart to the role.  Yes, she's too young for the part, but Pamela Sue Martin was only 28 in the original; it's more about their putting more emphasis on Fallon's corporate ambitions than the physical differences in the actresses.  The only one in Gillies's league was Alan Dale, and whoever was playing Michael.  (Which was a definite improvement on Wayne Northrop, whom I've never understood how he got "sexy" roles.)  

OTOH, Nathalie Kelley was nothing but weak sauce as "Cristal".  Linda Evans may have been bland as tapioca, but at least she had some strength under all the Bob Mackie.  A certain regal nature, even though Krystle was supposed to be bringing the "ordinary person" perspective to S1 of the original.  Kelley looks like she's been a secretary all her life and always will be.  The laughably-bad choice of the pants suit for her wedding attire fit right in, I suppose.  

It was nice, however, that the worst actor on the show was playing Jeff Colby.  A "tribute" to the always-wooden original, John James, I suppose.  Creating his new sister to divide the bland doesn't really seem worth the effort, though.  The racial change on both Jeff and Michael might be interesting, implying that Fallon 2.0 has a strong preference in her men, but even with Blake being described as "from the old school" and the show now being set in the South, it doesn't seem as though the producers will let Blake be a racist any more than they're letting him be the homophobe he was in the original.  Which, fair, it's 36 years later and Blake's homophobia felt dated even then, but it does seem as though the producers are reluctant to let Blake have any flaws.  Which will make him even blander than Cristal…although I guess he won't have to worry about her running back to Matthew in this version.

In fact, I think Grant Show and the treatment of Blake are one of the real problems this show has.  I've been fond of Show since the original Melrose Place, and I've enjoyed him on everything from Point Pleasant to Swingtown, but he doesn't seem to have the true towering (sometimes righteous, sometimes not) anger that John Forsythe brought to the original.  (Did you know that Forsythe was a last-minute replacement?  I've only just learned that it was supposed to be George Peppard in the role…does that mean Forsythe would have landed on The A-Team?) I guess we're going to be seeing this version's Alexis as having voluntarily flown the coop, instead of being driven away by Blake after her infidelity, is that it?  I'm just not getting the ruthless streak off of Show, which is making Fallon's demand for respect seem a bit jarring, IMO.  Blake seems like kind of a weasel here, and he should never seem like that.  A bastard, yes; a weasel, no.

And I am incredibly disappointed that despite Gillies getting top billing and the opening narration making this seem as though it would be Fallon's story (which would fit nicely with the Gossip Girl/Revenge pedigrees of the producers), by the end of the episode it felt as though TPTB had decided that since Alexis was the real "star" of the original, we needed to FF to Season 2 as quickly as possible.  And so we're getting Alexis mentions already, and Sammie Jo already, and Matthew is already conveniently "dead" and gone…and I can see Fallon getting pushed aside, far too soon.  Feh.

Which fits into the IMO wrongheaded sanitizing of Blake, again.  With Matthew gone (or at least "gone") and no rival for Cristal's affections, I think it's pretty safe to guess that Blake won't be raping Cristal come ep 9, assuming we even get that far.  And as we've completely skipped past Ted Dinard, I guess Blake won't be a rapist or a murderer.  (Honestly, why should Alexis bother to come back, now?  She only did it in the original to get Blake convicted.)

It seems like an unnecessary push to get to the "good stuff", IMO.  Which not only mistreats the original S1 (I'm not missing Walter Lankershim or anything, but it was a worthwhile season) but reeks too much of fanservice.  It took almost two complete seasons to have a catfight on the original, now we get one before the wedding?  The only way I could have enjoyed Fallon and "Cristal" going at it is if it had led to them actually going at it…throw a little hate-sex in the mix and I would have perked up.  As it was, it felt like a bad joke.  About the only thing sillier would be if there had somehow been a lily pond in the room…

One last note:  I understand that we don't need a Lindsay Blaisdell if Matthew is going to be less torn between Cristal and Claudia and more simply (and IMO ludicrously) torn apart by a wind turbine, but I was really missing Cecil Colby here.  I mean, Fallon's whole story was "DADDY ISSUES" even in the original, and with what's supposed to be an expanded role for her this time around, wouldn't the whole "sleeping with Blake's rival" bit be even more on point?  And maybe this time, the show wouldn't backpedal away from Fallon/Cecil as quickly as in the original, where the hook-up in the pilot was turned into a one-night stand and Fallon was quickly diverted into marriage with Jeff.  When you could have her still seeing Cecil behind both Jeff and Blake's backs, which would be great, IMO.  (Even moreso with Alexis claiming Cecil was Fallon's father, come S2…)

Plus, you could cast Hart Bochner as Cecil 2.0.  Lloyd's boy is looking pretty good for 61.  (Okay, so Jeff and sis would have to be adopted relatives.  No big deal.)  Oh, well…

Bochner.jpg

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1

I didn't necessarily get an effeminate vibe from Steven (certainly not a la Jack from "Will and Grace"). In some ways, he reminded me of Jack, the king's secretly gay son from the NBC show "King." That character was played by Sebastian Stan (who also played the gay son on the USA miniseries "Political Animals"). (He's since become more studly as Bucky Barnes from the "Captain America" movies.)

I feel like this version of Stephen is played much bitchier than old Stephen was.  Though I guess Adam was the resident bitch on the original show.  He always seemed to have a snippy comment at the ready when dealing with Stephen.   

This Dynasty may not be my mother's Dynasty but I'm warming up to this version.

Grant Show is doing a great job as Blake. He's a petty bitch and believable as a man who gets what he wants or manipulates the bad situation to his advantage. Whoever they cast as Alexis has to be as down and dirty as he is and then some. And he's such a bastard that you could find yourself rooting for her in their battles.

Fallon vs Blake and Fallon vs Cristal are aces. I believe her issues with both and am interested who will come out on top. Loved her breakfast turban. The funeral romper needed a few more inches.

Blake throwing that glass at his own daughter? Crazy. Fallon not flinching a centimeter as it whizzed past her? Stone cold blooded. Damn, girl!

Wild theory: Claudia and Blake had a fling prior to her accident but the accident (if it was one; Blake may have caused that too!) caused the brain damage and memory loss and so she doesn't remember it. Blake plays along because he either wanted it to end or he accepted that it was over between them.

Since this is from the Gossip Girl peeps, could they somehow finagle Leighton Meester to the show as Amanda Carrington? I see her meshing with this cast and before she was Blair Waldorf, she did play 'sweet' characters. 

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 3

Oh boy, after the disastrous plot episode I've decided to give it another chance and still couldn't watch it. I understand the main actors have fun and should act trashy OTT, but the supporting actors are just bad. Both Colbys and the driver and that drunk guy at the funeral were unwatchable. I felt ashamed  just for seeng them on the screen. People in the high school acting class can do better than that. I know production probably must save money but can't they at least hire decent  professional extras who can act?      

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

Should I have laughed as hard as I did when Cristal pushed Fallon into the open grave?

12 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

I actually LOLd  when Cristal pushed Fallon into that grave.

I did too! It was just so goofy.The way it looked like she fell, Fallon should have had some scrapes, bruises, a limp, something. She flopped into that grave like a ragdoll. Cristal pushed her so casually, as if on a whim. 

Cristal is an interesting character to me. It was a powerful moment when she made clear that her allegiance was with the Carringtons.

Also impressive? Fallon being able to deliver her lines while her driver was kissing her boobs.

Speaking of him, I caught that hostility he was throwing toward Colby. I wonder is Colby is at all aware of it. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Speaking of him, I caught that hostility he was throwing toward Colby. I wonder is Colby is at all aware of it. 

Oh for sure! Even in the pilot Jeff and Michael (the driver) had an immediate disdain for each other. Jeff automatically assumed Michael was the valet and tried to hand him his keys and Michael wasn't having it.  Nice that they're not ignoring inter race class issues as Jeff is smart new money captain of industry while Michael is working class 'just a driver'/jack of all trades for the Carringtons. Also both have the hots for Fallon so yeah there is FRICTION. Jeff is an old friend and has more in common with Fallon in terms of lifestyle but also knows from where Michael comes as either his own background or one generation removed. However Michael is the one in the family while Jeff's name is mud as far as Blake is concerned and Michael is sleeping with her and striving to be 'good enough' for her.

I also appreciated the reality check Jeff's sister threw him; she's friendly acquaintances with Fallon but she also is aware of the divide between their worlds and how Jeff can get tripped up over it no matter how much he really likes Fallon. Fallon in general is focused on what can you do for me lately but hasn't had to go out on the limb for anyone else. Seems like she'd do it for Steven but for Colby or Michael? Yet to be seen.

• Love 1

The show is campy fun and one of those "guilty pleasure" shows people are always talking about. It's not high art but I got a few good chuckles out of it, and that's more than I can say for several other new shows I've sampled this season.

And boy, they sure are pushing the envelope when it comes to being risque. For one thing, Fallon asking Steven "What's up your ass?" followed immediately by Sammie Jo's entrances, and Fallon saying "Never mind." Wow - I can't believe they went there. Also, Fallon rather obviously giving Michael a blowjob within eyeshot of the burial at the cemetery. I can't think of another broadcast network show where oral sex was so obviously implied. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also, Fallon rather obviously giving Michael a blowjob within eyeshot of the burial at the cemetery. I can't think of another broadcast network show where oral sex was so obviously implied. 

Some years back CW had a short lived show called Valentine about Greek Gods in modern time, with the main Goddess being Aphrodite. She brought the audience avatar character to orgasm by holding her hand. 

It aired at 8PM on Sunday. 

Nothig surprises me after that. 

I think the show is building toward Alexis coming back.  These episodes are going to show the tensions and infighting of the family..and just as the family starts to fall apart, Alexis will make her return to 'save' the day...causing Cristal to become more a grey character and setting her up to battle both Fallon and Alexis...as Steven remains neutral.  

I bet if the show continues, they might have Amanda, or Adam, come in as a child born after Alexis took off...leaving the viewers and carr8ngtons to wonder who the father is...blake or another character.

I will be interested to see if claudia will stay on past the matthew story resolving.  In the original, she did sleep with jeff to get info for Cecil, so I wonder if perhaps Blake will use Claudia to keep fall on and Jeff apart?

I think the wardrobe people hate Sammy Jo. The wife beater tank and his inability to button a shirt? Cheese alert!

Didn't Alexis wear a red dress to a black and white ball? Is Fallon's dress a callback to that?

Edited by Atlanta

I think the wardrobe people hate Sammy Jo. The wife beater tank and his inability to button a shirt? Cheese alert!

He really is a big old stereotype. But I do kind of like the twist of making Sammy Jo a guy. In the original series, Sammy Jo was a girl who was supposed to "fix" Steven's homosexuality. That just wouldn't really fly in 2017. Even if there were characters on the show who thought that could work the audience would just laugh at them. Funny how much has changed since 1982 when there were still actually people who thought people like Steven just hadn't met the right girl.

12 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Oh for sure! Even in the pilot Jeff and Michael (the driver) had an immediate disdain for each other.

Thanks so much for clarifying the names! I watch while doing other things, so I missed the names and probably some nuances. I appreciate how the show is exploring issues of race, class and sexuality. Lot's of POC, and they seem to be integral to the show. 

Bring on Alexis! I can't wait for her to arrive and swallow both Fallon and Cristal whole. 

9 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I think the show is building toward Alexis coming back.  These episodes are going to show the tensions and infighting of the family..and just as the family starts to fall apart, Alexis will make her return to 'save' the day...causing Cristal to become more a grey character and setting her up to battle both Fallon and Alexis...as Steven remains neutral.  

I bet if the show continues, they might have Amanda, or Adam, come in as a child born after Alexis took off...leaving the viewers and carr8ngtons to wonder who the father is...blake or another character.

I will be interested to see if claudia will stay on past the matthew story resolving.  In the original, she did sleep with jeff to get info for Cecil, so I wonder if perhaps Blake will use Claudia to keep fall on and Jeff apart?

Adam would be a really hard character backstory to update. It would make absolutely no sense that a healthy white newborn who goes missing in the 1980's or early 1990's wouldn't have been a big news story, at least regionally. I don't see how that could have been possibly kept secret.

Cristal looked a lot prettier in this episode. I thought they did a much better job with her make-up than they did in the pilot.

10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Adam would be a really hard character backstory to update. It would make absolutely no sense that a healthy white newborn who goes missing in the 1980's or early 1990's wouldn't have been a big news story, at least regionally. I don't see how that could have been possibly kept secret.

My guess is that Alexis and Blake would just say they thought he died at birth but the baby was actually swapped and stolen by a crazy doctor or nurse or one of Blake's enemies.  As far as the family is concerned Adam died at birth.  Adam's intro story could be as an up and comer who is pulling strings and working behind the scenes to take down Blake via Alexis who has already found him and turned him against Blake. Lots of ways they could play it and if they get a dynamic enough actor he could be the 'Heather Locklear/Chuck Bass' that spikes the ratings.

On 10/20/2017 at 0:11 PM, iMonrey said:

Was Adam's kidnapping kept a secret on the original show? I can't remember. I thought the whole thing was supposed to be like the Lindbergh baby and that they had simply never found him.

It was, sort of. At the start of Season 3, after their grandson (child of Fallon Carrington Colby and Jeff Colby) was kidnapped, Alexis and Blake went on TV to plead for his safe return. During the plea, Alexis announced that the kidnapping was extra-hard for them because it brought back memories of when their first-born child, Adam, was kidnapped and never found. This was so traumatizing that they kept his existence a secret from their other kids. Alexis had previously mentioned Adam towards the end of Season 2, however, during an argument with Blake. 

And yes, it is completely ridiculous, even in the 1980's, that this ultra-famous couple could keep secret that they had another kid who just vanished.

A moment, now, to remember Adam Carrington's finest moment, when he proved he was truly his mother's son after he tried to kill Jeff by having his office painted with "poison paint" that gave off lethal toxic fumes.

In spite of its leaden pace, horrible, contradictory dialog and general blah-ness, this episode was better than the pilot, but not by much. Whoever decided to play this show for comedy made an absolutely fatal mistake. There's no emotional resonance here whatsoever. Revenge was frequently hilarious and I don't think anyone took that seriously either, but the actors and writers playing it straight gave it a depth this lacks and provided a counterpoint to the campy funny bits. I do not care about any of the New!Dynasty characters because they are flat and one-dimensional and I STILL have no reason to like them. Writers; the first thing which snarky biatches who like to interject zingers into their everyday speech learn is moderation. If Every. Single. Thing. You. Say. is a one-liner, it gets really old and really tiresome really quickly. When almost all Fallon's lines are anti-Cristal barbs, it leaves no room for character development, which is what is SORELY needed because, um, she's supposed to be the lead?! And at this point, she's basically just a Don Rickles standup set with more better hair and slightly smaller boobs.

Oh and another thing in the same vein; even though I laughed out loud at the bit where Cristal pushed Fallon into the grave, when OG Dynasty decided you couldn't have too much of a good(?) thing and amped up the catfights almost to the level of one-a-week, that was when it got too stupid for its own good and the audience started to tune out. Are we going to get Fallon and Cristal getting physical every episode now? If so, yawn. 

Also, because these writers seem to make only the most obvious choices, here are my predictions for The Future so if they come to pass, it can be said that they were called;

1. Because a crappy, derivative night-time soap on the CW is the best place for debate about serious issues like immigration, Cristal (or whatever her real name is) and possibly also Samuel Joseph are in the US undocumented. 

and

2. Whatever is on that flashdrive Jeff gave Fallon to erase her laughably-nebulously-described thing that she needed erasing, there is also a secret file on it called something like fallon_is_an_idiot_for_not_guessing_he_would_do_this_has_she_never_watched_a_single_freaking_aaron_spelling_rerun_in_her_entire_damn_life.exe which will activate as soon as she plugs it into the computer, magically send back to Jeff copies of every single file on the hard drive and let him know everything she and Blake are doing on the comp at all times.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
Grammar!
  • Love 2

I was thinking of combining the Adam and Amanda characters into one.  Except that she would have been raised by Alexis...and had the love that fall on and Steve were denied.  And having this daughter/son be resentful to Blake assuming Blake didn't want them.  Organic conflict.

I think my main question is: Cristal, if you seriously think it's plausible that your new husband murdered your old boyfriend, why are you still married to your new husband? 

Also, what kind of person decides it's a good idea to have a naked swim in a house where they are staying as a guest?  Was Sammy Jo's plan just to swim naked on the off chance Stephen would appear? I would have been more amused if his plan backfired and he ran into the butler or Blake.

At this point in the show, my one hope is that all this dumb murder mystery stuff turns out to have been Alexis' machinations.

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1
On 10/19/2017 at 6:24 PM, Atlanta said:

I think he's supposed to be the male eye candy, but judging by his nude swim scene, his body's not quite of the necessary calibre. 

The actress playing Cristal is easily the worst actress on the show. 

I might be in, if only for this exchange:

Fallon (inexplicably in a dressing gown and turban): What's up your ass this morning? 

Enter Sammy Jo

Fallon: Hmm. Never mind.

Clearly establishing Steven as a power bottom.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I think my main question is: Cristal, if you seriously think it's plausible that your new husband murdered your old boyfriend, why are you still married to your new husband? 

Also, what kind of person decides it's a good idea to have a naked swim in a house where they are staying as a guest?  Was Sammy Jo's plan just to swim naked on the off chance Stephen would appear? I would have been more amused if his plan backfired and he ran into the butler or Blake.

At this point in the show, my one hope is that all this dumb murder mystery stuff turns out to have been Alexis' machinations.

This is the thing - it's as if they're thinking "oooh, what would these characters do that is shocking and night-time-soapy" instead of "what motivates these characters to behave as they do and what's actually believable for them to do". She sticks around because she needs to for the plot. I also hated the bit where Fallon confronted her at the funeral, grabs her sunglasses and tosses them away and Cristal didn't even mention it.  It's all so... lame and small. This is what dumb pre-teen schoolyard bullies do, not what supposedly-sophisticated, smart, nasty, manipulative people do. The first ever catfight in OG Dynasty happened because Krystle discovered that when she fell off her horse and had a miscarriage, the horse wasn't spooked by a car backfiring, it was spooked and threw her because Alexis - driven even more crazy than usual by jealousy when she found out about the pregnancy - saw her out riding and fired her gun deliberately. Even 30-some years later this is still hundreds of times more powerful than "I don't like you because you took my job and my daddy and you were having an affair with Nick Wechsler so I'm going to be bitchy to you and mess with your accessories."

And yeah, the nano-second Sammy Jo got out of the pool and they didn't show him below the waist, I was like "oh, he's not wearing a swimsuit". I hope they have plenty of Chlorine in that pool.

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
  • Love 3

And yeah, the nano-second Sammy Jo got out of the pool and they didn't show him below the waist, I was like "oh, he's not wearing a swimsuit".

I'll admit I laughed at nearly all the Carrington funeral outfits.  Fallon was essentially wearing a black business casual hot pants ensemble, Blake couldn't be bothered to wear a tie and Sammy Jo had his shirt unbuttoned nearly to his navel.   

And maybe the look is back, and I'm just not paying attention, but I swear Jeff Colby dresses like he's trapped in someone's high school yearbook circa 1991.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 4

Ugh. Dynasty:Millenial version. Blank delivery of every single line. The Fallon actress is totally out of her element. The Blake character would be better suited as a JC Penney model. I was hoping for a slightly better script/acting/blocking/costuming but no. Just HORRID.

• Love 3

It's all so... lame and small. This is what dumb pre-teen schoolyard bullies do, not what supposedly-sophisticated, smart, nasty, manipulative people do.

It's also what most characters on CW shows do.

Ugh. Dynasty:Millenial version. 

Bingo!

I'm more intrigued to see what the modern day Alexis will be when she makes her return.  Based on tonights hints, she sounds like she was a feminist of sorts.  That would be a twist to the character since there is no way this show could clone how Alexis was back in the 1980s.. Joan Collins broke the mold.

With that said, I like that the show isn't showing Jeff as clear endgame for Fallon, she and Michael have a good rapport that isn't just a romp in the sack.  I like that Fallon is doing what the original Fallon show have done in the original show.. forging her own company.

Sammy Jo arranging the robbery and going against his aunt's wishes...  Original recipe Sammy Jo certainly would have done that as well :)  Nice to see the essence of Sammy Jo is maintained :)

• Love 4

I think I'm starting to enjoy this show more, but not as Dynasty as I once knew it, but as something that feels entirely new to me. It's kinda cheesy but it's building my interest. Blake and Jeff's little mini catfight was so gay, especially when Jeff uttered: : Don't you ever touch me." LOL.

7 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm more intrigued to see what the modern day Alexis will be when she makes her return.  Based on tonights hints, she sounds like she was a feminist of sorts.  That would be a twist to the character since there is no way this show could clone how Alexis was back in the 1980s.. Joan Collins broke the mold.

With that said, I like that the show isn't showing Jeff as clear endgame for Fallon, she and Michael have a good rapport that isn't just a romp in the sack.  I like that Fallon is doing what the original Fallon show have done in the original show.. forging her own company.

Sammy Jo arranging the robbery and going against his aunt's wishes...  Original recipe Sammy Jo certainly would have done that as well :)  Nice to see the essence of Sammy Jo is maintained :)

Yes to original recipe Sammy Jo doing sneaky setups just like the current one. Remember when she had a hand in the Rita debacle, that trashy chick who looked just like her Auntie Krystle?

Edited by Syndicate

For a moment, I though Sammy Jo made up the danger to his mom to get money out Cristal, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was true and his little crime not only helps his mom but drew Blake and Steven closer.

3 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

They're also doing their best to make Sammy Joe pretty skimpily clad, at least by 21st century male standards. Sammy Jo's entrance was a 20-year old Heather Locklear walking around in hot pants and a tank top. Sammy Joe's short robe and being consistently shirtless seems to be the counterpart to that.

I do think this show is starting to come together, but I don't think it's long for this world. Not at those ratings and not at the expense this show must cost, unless Georgia is giving them some HUGE incentives.

On 10/21/2017 at 5:30 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I think he's supposed to be the male eye candy, but judging by his nude swim scene, his body's not quite of the necessary calibre.

I do think his face is hot enough to make up for the fact that he's not quite the hard-bodied hunk that we're supposed to be seeing here. It kind of reminds me of Tom Ellis on Lucifer. He is depicted as being scorchingly hot and he is, but he's not quite there in terms of body even though his face/swagger make up for that.

This version of Steven isn't the kind of guy that could land a guy who looks like Billy Campell, so I'm willing to buy that a less-than-perfect-10 is getting him so hot and bothered.

It's definitely easy to buy Sammy Joe as male eye candy as opposed to when Revenge tried to sell us on Ashton Holmes as being this sexy con artist that managed to get by on his body. I'm sorry, but no. He looked like a grown-up version of Howdy Doody.

Edited by methodwriter85
2 hours ago, nilyank said:

For a moment, I though Sammy Jo made up the danger to his mom to get money out Cristal, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was true and his little crime not only helps his mom but drew Blake and Steven closer.

I also wondered about Sammy Jo at the beginning, and I  enjoyed Cristal's urging Blake to forge better relationships with his kids (even the one who's deliciously awful to her). BUT--I had a huge problem with Cristal's inability to get the money to her sister. I get that she's freaked out about Anders being all up in her biz, but seriously, if you find out that you've got a Black Card now with a husband who is telling you to enjoy using it, $10K plus 30% isn't that big a deal to pull out as a cash advance. Steven had a fat wad of bills that Sammy Jo stole from without Steven being all the wiser. If Anders "red-flagged" it to Blake, Cristal could easily say she wanted to have cash handy for occasions where a Black Card is just too extra....like hanging out with her more down to earth girlfriends.

This Cristal reboot is already way more interesting than the original, but I hope they decide one way or another if she's consistently bad-ass (as in the cemetery showdown with Fallon last episode) or if she's just going to be the recipient of Anders' and Fallon's put-downs. I'm still not seeing why Blake fell so madly in love with her, or even how she's COO-material. It's way more believable why people are drawn to Fallon, and the show's amply demonstrated her business savvy. Cristal, not so much.

3 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

Hey, title sequence! Sorta. Sure was quick. That was a remix if the original tune, right?

Yes, and an homage to the original treatment of the logo too!

34 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I do think this show is starting to come together, but I don't think it's long for this world. Not at those ratings and not at the expense this show must cost, unless Georgia is giving them some HUGE incentives.

Hoping it's given a chance. Georgia--especially Atlanta--has become the new hotbed for the tv/film industry so maybe they're already doing a lot for very little. I didn't check, but are they using the same stylist and music person as in Gossip Girl? I'm enjoying the fashion porn, and it was a great lineup of 80s music (and covers) tonight!

• Love 1

This show really could be worse. It's a real guilty pleasure show for me. I mostly half-watch it while doing other things.

I'm kind of entertained by Fallon's two guys. I appreciate that they've shown her different relationships with each guy, but they're meaningful in some way.

Blake Carrington is such an asshole, but such a fascinating character to watch. He really treats his children terribly. But man, I laughed at his own cat fight with Jeff.

I'm not quite sure what Sammy Jo's endgame is, especially with Steven, but I have some guesses. 

I like Cristal, even if I'm not totally fond of the actress, but I bet I'll be annoyed with her soon enough.

It's definitely obvious that this show was made by the creators of Gossip Girl, because this whole episode was basically early seasons GG. 

• Love 1

Alan Dale as Anders is the MVP of this show. The man was working his Miami Vice suit and still pulling off his shade throwing roll ups like a boss. I love that he knew alllll the details on Cristal's prenup and that he knows the approximate location of all the Carringtons-and told Jeff exactly where he could find Fallon. Cold blooded. Love him.

Yay, to the title sequence with the remix theme.

Yay, to a real love triangle between Jeff/Fallon/Michael. I love that we saw more of Michael having relationships/friendship with Steven- willing to have his back even if it was a lie and Steven telling him thanks but don't put yourself at risk. I also love how he supports Fallon and her making her own way and believing in HER. I mean seriously how can you walk away from a man like that? And yet Jeff matches her ambition and drive and need to succeed.

Blake and Jeff having their own catfight was great because while Fallon is the personification of the bone they fight over, those two have their own very personal beef. Jeff being a 'charity case' is always going to cut to the quick with Blake using that weapon everytime and yet Blake's anger seems to hint at real hurt. I can see him looking at Jeff more like the son he never had in terms of being cutthroat and smart in business so when Jeff rightfully broke ranks to forge his own dynasty, Blake was pissed.

Blake was two for two in selling some real daddy/child moments with his kids. He's a ruthless, cold hearted son of a bitch but here's he thing - the kids flock to him, not Alexis and that tells you something. I also love the hints we got with Alexis. Trying to use the Carrington name for lip plumping kits? Naming Fallon as a reflection of herself, LOL. Whoever they cast has big shoes to fill. Even still the characters we have and their stories is more than enough to hold my interest without feeling like Alexis needs to show up already.

The scene with the server dropping the tray of glasses was an actual accident by the actress playing the server; then the actress who plays Fallon ad libbed 'You're fired' and they decided to keep it in. Heh.

Grant Show really is making a great version of his own Blake. He's a lying, manipulative asshole who can sell half truths with sincerity even if it is self-preservation.  Why he loves Cristal...still not sure but they also added a nice layer of her 'betraying' her sister and the guilt she feels for that.

Valor is seen as the bigger disappointment ratingswise. Of the two new fall shows, Dynasty has the better chance for renewal and it fits with the brand of the network.

Love Blake's commentary that Alexis had him learn piano while Blake had him learn boxing and that Steven put both to good use.  Funny thing is I totally thought that Steven and Sammy Jo might've been in on that heist together. Would've been an interesting twist with Steven taking more after dad just as Blake is lying to him less, LOL.

• Love 4

Hey, title sequence! Sorta. Sure was quick. That was a remix if the original tune, right?

Yuck - it sounded like a Weird Al Yankovic accordion version of the theme music.

That necklace was all kinds of ugly. It looked like it was made out of scrap metal.

I don't really get Cristal's backstory. She stole money from . . . somewhere, then next scene she's with her sister and her sister is giving her money. Huh? Did she give the money to her sister? If her sister still has half of it why can't she buy her way out of Argentina? How did Sammy Jo get to America?

Yikes! The ratings are tanking with a 0.2 in the demo and 750K total viewers. I know Zap2It says it doesn't "really matter" since they sold the show to Netflix overseas but honestly, with ratings that low I can't imagine this series getting another order.

• Love 1