Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Tome Wan

(edited)

For me, I think I saw the moment Jack started to believe Will. It was when he had Dr. Chilton on his knees in the snow, simpering and begging for his life. A change came over his face as he watched Chilton, from stony angel of vengeance to... something almost like pity. I think he sensed then that Chilton wasn't his man, only a patsy. And the way the episode ended, with all the threads tying up neatly around Chilton's throat, that was when he decided to go fishing with Will for some real answers.

For Bedelia, she knew she had been persuaded to do something she would not normally have done, but she did believe that it was close enough to legitimate self defence that she couldn't see the whole picture. As she processed things, my impression is that she became aware that Hannibal was dangerous and had manipulated her, and that she was in an unfortunate relationship with him that she could not get out of, but as she said, it wasn't until the business with Will that she saw his pattern (much the same way meeting Margot showed Will that same pattern) and realized just HOW dangerous he was, not just to her but to others. At which point she went to visit Will, told him she believed him, and then split town before she could end up on the chopping block.

Verger certainly enunciates well considering he's cut off his lips

Perhaps he's had ventriloquism training...

I bet that was something dear old daddy taught him during their special bonding time. After all, every well-bred young man needs to learn how to gauge the health of their stock, how to run a successful business, and how to enunciate clearly while feeding their own lips to a pack of hungry canines.

Edited by Slovenly Muse
  • Love 4
(edited)

EW had a capsule review of the finale. A-

No spoilers but said at the end you'll be wondering "what the f*** just happened?".

This is far out there but, with some divergence from the books, I could see Will saving Hannibal from Jack. Maybe even killing Jack. I think he may have come too far over the edge and may start to think he needs Hannibal as much as Hannibal needs Will.

Edited by awp69
  • Love 2

Hannibal did it for her. If he had just killed Mason then she would have lost everything. He made sure he was still alive, but will be sufficiently tortured for the rest of his life and dependent on Margo. Why would he kill her now?

I thought so too. Lots of reasons for Hannibal to spare Mason, but I think doing it to help Margot was the main reason.

When Bedelia spoke of Hannibal getting Will to kill someone he loved, I thought of Alana not Jack. Hannibal dated her only because he knew Will has feelings for her, and he wanted to spite Will for trying to kill him.

With Hannibal now planning to reveal himself to Jack, he may attack Alana. She also suspected Will and Hannibal of killing Freddie. It would be a clear sign to Jack that Hannibal is the Cheapskate Ripper, and maybe that's what prompts Jack to confront Hannibal in the opening scene.

I was glad to see Margot unflinching there at the end, but it isn't much consolation that she is still going to be around Mason.  Of course Mason will be dependent on her for a great deal now, even where the business is concerned.

He's going to be dependent on her for every last thing. I loved how Hannibal was making up to Will for Abigail through Margot: sorry, I totally killed our mutual foster daughter and your real child, but hey! Check out how I set Margot up for a life time of cushy vengeance! Who's my little Patrocles? You are! YOU are! Good boy! 

Ugh, aspic. Aspic is what God makes you eat when he's disappointed in you, blech. I love how every conversation on this show is just a ring around the rosy now because everybody's playing the same game and to say "I know you're a fucking murderer/I am now going to fucking murder you" would just spoil everything.

Hannibal's "Ohhhh, no you did NOT" face when Mason was stabbing his chair needs to get all the awards. It was obvious that that was the precise moment he decided that this meat was too rude even for him, that Mason's getting the booby prize. I too was impressed that nothing can shut Mason Verger up, not even cutting his own lips off. He's a very articulate pig; perhaps he can amuse himself by reading Animal Farm between Margot's tender ministrations. 

Dr. du Marier is back! I wonder how they found her. Maybe she kept in touch with Jack? I love her role as Cassandra (she shares with Will) on the show, pointing out that if you ever feel like you're gaining the upper hand with Hannibal, that's when you are most vulnerable. Will needed the reminder that Hannibal can't really be fooled, only lulled by his own perception of his fabulousness and superiority. Otherwise, you are persuaded off the path you thought you were following right into the pit.

• Love 1
(edited)
After seeing all of the scars on Margot's body that testified to the years of abuse she suffered at her brother's hands, I love that Mason got such a well deserved comeuppance.  I hope Margot takes the freedom that has been handed to her and she runs with it.  I also liked that Will was encouraging her that Mason hadn't won, she could still find happiness in her life.  And lo and behold, she did.

As with all Hannibal's gifts, though, this one ties Margot to a life of vengeance. Hannibal's given her her fantasy life on a silver platter, and has made sure that all she wants from life now is to torture Mason. She may indeed get a girlfriend, start lifting and practice unusual fertilization techniques but her entire life will still revolve around her brother. Hannibal makes sure nobody who crosses his path is free but following whatever insane, sick path he's laid out for them. Hell, in her last scene with Mason, as she's triumphing over him, she's literally wearing a collar.

She seems very motivated by the money on the show.  She made some comment in this ep that if Mason dies, she loses everything, so there's no winning for her.  Mason's death frees her from his tyranny, but she apparently doesn't want that at the expense of losing the millions and the horses and the nice clothes.  The Margot storyline has been disappointing for me.  I want to like her, but I don't get her.  The money is more important to her than anything else.

I think the money is the prize in her family, the sick game that passed for familial relations. It's always been dangled in front of her/used to terrorize and mutilate her, so I'm not surprised that she sees it as something she's earned and deserves, plus she wants it specifically to rub her power in Mason's face. Margot, let us never forget, is not a mentally well woman, any more then Mason is. Her pathology is just different.

I read elsewhere that some see Hannibal not killing Mason as a gift for Margot. I think it's just practical. A few months ago (in Hannibal-verse) Franklyn died. 3 weeks ago, Randall died. It's too soon to have another patient of his, die, without bringing up suspicions. Jack may try to ignore it but the rest of the FBI may not be so blasé at the coincidence

Say, speaking of, how is Hannibal going to explain the latest corpse/bloodbath in his office?

Also, what happened to Carlo? We saw that Other Thug Guy was fed to the pigs, and of course Mason got his comeuppance, but Carlo was nowhere to be seen.

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 3
(edited)

I assumed that Carlo handled the corpse in the office, the deceased having been his friend.  Hannibal can deal the rest.

I do think Hannibal was helping Margot to keep her possessions and home by letting Mason live.  And it was the least he could do.

Edited by MisterGlass

So, I just saw this from tvguide.com:

However, Will needs Hannibal to commit this murder so they can arrest him, but Hannibal only breaks Mason's neck. Is Hannibal on to Will or is he keeping Mason alive because of Margot's financial dilemma?
Fuller:  Hannibal's response is all of those things. It's a gesture toward Margot to give her some control in her life. And also, he doesn't kill him completely because, as he has said and will say again to Margot, the best therapy for her is to kill her brother.

Looks like our interpretation is correct.

• Love 1

Leave it to Mason to refuse to implicate Hannibal in what happened to him. I get it--he tried to kill Hannibal, so any finger he points will eventually circle right back around to him. Which is also another reason, IMO, Hannibal left him alive. If he's dead, others will control whether or not his murderer is found. Hannibal knew that Mason has too much of his own criminal baggage to implicate him, so leaving him alive was the perfect foil to everyone's plans except his own.

• Love 1
Ugh, aspic. Aspic is what God makes you eat when he's disappointed in you, blech. I love how every conversation on this show is just a ring around the rosy now because everybody's playing the same game and to say "I know you're a fucking murderer/I am now going to fucking murder you" would just spoil everything.

Hannibal is far more subtle than we think. He's trying to kill Will and Crawford through gourmet cooking.

• Love 1

Ok, I must be weird. I remember having tomato aspic at 13 and thinking it was yummy. Hummm, maybe that's why I like Hannibal, we have the same culinary tastes...er but not completely.

Aspic seems disgusting to me, but was popular at one time, so many must have appreciated it.

People also used to sleep with their livestock to keep warm and cure boils with dead frogs. Then they learned they didn't have to and life was good.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, they actually did need to sleep in a cluster to stay warm.  Aspic does feel like one of those dishes, like blood pudding or white pudding, that feel like a holdover (or leftover) from a time when every nutrient was extracted from a food source.  At least aspic is decorative, and when the flavors a cook has to work with are not the best, I suppose he has to put on a visual show.

Edited by MisterGlass
(edited)

Aw, I like aspic.  I've never seen so much "meat jello" altogether by itself, used just to create a kind of scene as in the kholodets*, but in, say, a Vietnamese headcheese?  I'm totally happy to eat it.

* BTW, while Janice Poon's blog about it was fascinating, the other kholodets I've seen online just tonight seem to just be straightforward meat-in-aspic, not a 3D diorama frozen in aspic.  Hannibal's really nuts just as far as how much he'll do just for presentation.

Edited by arc

Aw, I like aspic.  I've never seen so much "meat jello" altogether by itself, used just to create a kind of scene as in the kholodets*, but in, say, a Vietnamese headcheese?  I'm totally happy to eat it.

* BTW, while Janice Poon's blog about it was fascinating, the other kholodets I've seen online just tonight seem to just be straightforward meat-in-aspic, not a 3D diorama frozen in aspic.  Hannibal's really nuts just as far as how much he'll do just for presentation.

I found an interesting article online about aspic. The comments section is great.

The Icky Era of Aspic

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2009/02/15/the-icky-era-of-aspic/

Many seem glad that the pigs didn't eat Will's dog, but they were eating a person's face. Wouldn't that mean that they now have to be put down. Will Will no longer care and allow them to live until they get their next taste of blood and nature takes its course?

At this point, with the exception of the number of bodies, is Will truly different from Hannibal? I can totally see him manipulation Jack's death at the hands of Hannibal, Hannibal's flight from the police as a result, as Will just sits there enjoying his role as the new spider to everyone's fly.

Many seem glad that the pigs didn't eat Will's dog, but they were eating a person's face. Wouldn't that mean that they now have to be put down. Will Will no longer care and allow them to live until they get their next taste of blood and nature takes its course? y.

Why would they have to be put down? It's not as if they attacked a person, tore him to bits, and ate him. They just got a new "treat" fed to them.

• Love 2