Type keyword(s) to search

Three Wives, One Husband - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 25/03/2018 at 8:34 PM, B3cky50 said:

I find these families so much more fascinating than Kody Brown's tribe. 

I find them to be very likeable and intelligent- not like the door knobs of the Brown clan

I want to live in a cave!

Maybe I will have a few husbands!!

• Love 3
On 16/03/2018 at 6:42 AM, Spiderella2 said:

Why build your house in a cave?

cool in the summer and warm in the winter plus in case of attack then can retreat to the tunnels to hide from the Zombies.... sorry, wrong show!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

The women wear pants and curse, and some of the kids were drinking caffeinated soda. Very interesting version of FLDS. The only consistent thing seems to be how utterly miserable the women are. 

Abel's first wife doesn't seem to be miserable at all.  She is always calm and helping the other wives understand things that bother them.  Enoch's two wives seem very happy.  Maybe if Lydia marries them, it will get rough.   

• Love 2
(edited)

Did hear Sasha say that she was one of 34 children? 

After Christian didn't do so well talking with his hopeful-next-wife, I think a wife should make the first few moves then bring the guy in.  I wonder what he said that made her cry since they already knew each other well per Sasha.  Maybe the "I love you" is what did it.  He is kind of a doofus so who knows....  

Edited by crgirl412
On 3/19/2018 at 10:00 AM, methadonna said:

So, based on reading the articles referenced in the 2013 Sister Wives Blog article about Rockland Ranch*, Melinda and Enoch are sister and brother (not sure if they have the same mother). 

If she DID end up marrying her deceased husband’s brother (and I’m not sure yet what, if any, further relation the Morrisons (original edition) have to the Fosters, but that has got to loop that family tree closer into a wreath.

*which I realize now required no further sleuthing than reading her name, as she goes by Melinda Foster Morrison, so, duh, but this does explicitly state that Melinda is one of Bob Foster’s daughters (and Enoch, his son, as well as the official “leader” of the community since Bob’s passing. And, though I do think it comes off as the case in the portrayal so far**—I don’t think it’s been explicitly stated nor did I get the sense they had, or at least wanted to overtly state they had, an actual “leader,” so that was interesting to me. 

**(but also conceded that could be the editing or even just my own timeline bias, as they were given the central focus first, with my expecting to have the series center around them with the other families and individuals introduced in the premiere remaining in supporting roles, and was [pleasantly] surprised by the sudden shift to the second epi’s centering on the [ofAbel ... and girls] Morrison family (while still including other community members as it fit organically.

Sort of like the Chicago Fire, PD, Med, and Law shows... I know TLC has some network mandate that all shows must have a variant of Giant Husband, Three Little Sisterwives as not only its premise but its title, but I really think Chicago Polygamy (or, hey, just Rockland Ranch ... if only half of the ten families there are [currently?] polygamists, and we’ve seen three (of 5?) so far (plus the monogamous couple who are “totally” on the same page about being/not being open to polygamy), and they’re: one, a would-be 1H-3W except the “courted” one figured out that having two pretty SWs (and, I’m sure, a husband who is “beautiful on the inside”) wasn’t enough to get her past the lack of aesthetic attraction to ... that face... of Eunuoch (Sorry, I’m 11), so: One Husband, Two Wives (aka, why did we just waste six weeks on the BS of Seeking Sisterwife, when we just got what I actually believe was a fairly real story of it, in ten minutes (which is about as much content as Seeking had, stretched out over 360)butanyway; two, we have the ofJim Morrisons here: prior to his passing, a great band, sry, wrong JM***, another One Husband, Two Wives grouping (now No Husband, Two Wives, who may or may not add on to another in-community family, together or separately); and three, only the ofAbel Morrisons who are actually One Husband, Three Wives, and supposedly AS The Widows are in the immediate grief of the loss of their husband (and two of the ofAbel wives are both showing the levels of anger and resentment wrt the “changes” of adding the third wife ... four years ago that Meri and Janelle Brown held for twenty years but took like seven seasons to acknowledge on air) 

(all of these Rock families cut to the chase quick, eh? The Browns and the-won’t-be-back-SeekingSisterwives Peeps are like yo, slow down, don’t you realize that you could string TLC along for at least two full seasons on what you’ve packed into each episode? You could go on TLC package trips, take part in some planned wedding vow renewals, get that courting daughter’s wedding covered, have her have her baby in a coliseum, and make enough money to blast out some space for McCaveMansions in the Grand Canyon when you lose your lease for being FELONS, but you gotta slow this shit down. Maybe there’s a fake therapist you could stick in one of your rocks to prevent progress? By then, one of your eleventy kids, statistically, will be sure to have a crummy-but-fairly-common medical condition you were “keeping private” but now can trot out to exploit. Seriously, no bankruptcies AND you’re this bad at playing TLC? What is this crap? Do you actually practice what you preach or something?), they’re considering adding in The Widows, because Jim really wanted Abel to have and care for his stamp collection and wife collection after he died. I don’t think it’s gonna happen, but if so, it’d  be One Husbo, Five Wives, and (unless another title-fitting family is about to pop out of the rockwork next week), there’ll be nothing about the title that fits, unless you assume that it actually starts with, Minimum Coverage Charge to Get to Heaven (With Your Own Planet) is....

***Sorry, but between Jim Morrison here, Jim Jones on Marriage (but not marriage actually: family) Boot Camp: Reality Stars (wrt “stars”: see our commitment to the definition (literal, not the practice thereof) of “marriage”, who I think is a rapper or someone I’m supposed to know and then is was on another show (qualifying him as a “reality star”) that I’m also supposed to know, but I know of neither; I only know of People’s Temple/Jonestown, and, intellectually, I realize there are a hundred trillion people probably named Jim Jones, but I still recoil every time I hear it and start thinking y’all worried about Amber in dat house? You got a drugged-out megasuicidecult leader chilling next to you, refusing to drink any of Dr VJJ’s and Dr. Shit’s Kool-aid. ‘Cause He Has His Own. And, then, because life in my head would be better as a musical at all times, I first read “Bob Foster” and was thinking “Bob Fosse,” so, I keep waiting for The Beautiful Wives to drag some chairs out on stage rocks and do some suggestive dancing as they can venison for their three.point.five years of apocalypse-in-waiting or however that works. (That I also grew up in a county—across the country, and pretty much the polar opposite wrt religious and social norms—with the same name as the ranch also kind of throws me every time I hear it).

The Morrisons and Fosters are further connected because Enoch Foster's wives Lillian and Catrina Swapp are sisters of Anazella Swapp Morrison, making Enoch and Jim brothers-in-law. Anazella, Lillian, and Catrina are daughters of ex-fundamentalist Mormon terrorist Addam Swapp. Their maternal grandfather John Singer was killed in a shootout with police in 1979. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, hopelessbookworm said:

The Morrisons and Fosters are further connected because Enoch Foster's wives Lillian and Catrina Swapp are sisters of Anazella Swapp Morrison, making Enoch and Jim brothers-in-law. Anazella, Lillian, and Catrina are daughters of ex-fundamentalist Mormon terrorist Addam Swapp. Their maternal grandfather John Singer was killed in a shootout with police in 1979. 

Lillian and Catrina are sisters???  WOW! I guess they are half-sisters since they don't really look alike.  They are married to Enoch just like Joe Dargers two real sisterwives.   

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, crgirl412 said:

Lillian and Catrina are sisters???  WOW! I guess they are half-sisters since they don't really look alike.  They are married to Enoch just like Joe Dargers two real sisterwives.   

I'm not sure if they are half or full sisters, but one would think they'd look more alike, because if they are half-sisters then they are also 1st cousins because their mothers are full sisters, daughters of John Singer and his first wife. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, hopelessbookworm said:

I'm not sure if they are half or full sisters, but one would think they'd look more alike, because if they are half-sisters then they are also 1st cousins because their mothers are full sisters, daughters of John Singer and his first wife. 

Interesting!!  I think they would look more alike too since they are related 2x!! 

• Love 2
(edited)

On a more serious note, I also wondered about why they blasted into rock to create their homes, specifically whether there was some religious or Biblical meaning behind it. Anyone know?

Edited by bref
  • Love 1

I really couldn't stand Enoch's brother, Christian. He acted like he could just do whatever he wanted around there because his dad built the place. Spoiled little shit. His dad probably had a hand in the rules as well, which Christian continues to break. I was hoping they'd kick him out. 

• Love 13

I rushed right over here as soon as I could to say the very same thing. He was outside shooting into the air? When someone at the meeting pointed out that what goes up must come down (possibly damaging an innocent bystander, probably a child!) he made all kinds of excuses and said he didn't shoot straight up so it wasn't dangerous, or some bullshit. Just admit you were wrong and say you're sorry, asshole! Then he walked into the house and left his gun unsecured, on the kitchen table!

Don't even get me started on his poor brainwashed wife. Remind me again how your husband gets to have two, or more, lovely young wives, and this is to help YOU spiritually.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, bref said:

On a more serious note, I also wondered about why they blasted into rock to create their homes, specifically whether there was some religious or Biblical meaning behind it. Anyone know?

Robert Foster, Enoch's father, believed that the apocalypse was imminent. Also, he had been arrested for bigamy. So (I guess) he wanted a "safe" place to live in case of arrest or chaos of the end times? I googled him, and he converted to LDS at 18 and was actually very involved until in his forties, when he decided to live plural marriage and create his own brand of fundamental Mormonism.

• Love 3

Haven’t gotten through all of last nights episode yet - the new guy Christian is a piece of work. 

The whole “courting” thing I don’t get....they always seem to be in a hurry to find the next partner/wife instead of taking the time getting to know the person.  I wonder what really happened on his date for the girl to be in the back seat crying on the way home. Just so weird to me.  

I also don’t get why these women feel they need a sister wife to get to Heaven.  Christian’s wife really couldn’t explain that or why she felt she needed to do this.  It was like she didn’t even know. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, KeeperOfTheIce said:

The whole “courting” thing I don’t get....they always seem to be in a hurry to find the next partner/wife instead of taking the time getting to know the person.  I wonder what really happened on his date for the girl to be in the back seat crying on the way home. Just so weird to me.  

It's weird because on Sister Wives, the Browns just got done saying how the man isn't supposed to be LOOKING for wives. The woman feels inspired and approaches the man. And she's supposed to go through the existing sister wives first. (In fact, Christine ran a potential woman off for not doing so!) Christian traveled halfway across the country to pursue this woman. Who even was she??? The whole thing was odd. 

And, while I'm not against any type of consenting relationship between two or more adults, I am often amazed by what a mindfuck these women must go through. You try to help your husband get another wife, because apparently you aren't enough. And if it doesn't work out, you're probably secretly happy, but then you feel guilty about that, and have to comfort your own husband for losing another woman??? It's not for me, that's for sure. 

• Love 8

Oh yeah he's a bully--and the way he stuck out his bottom lip and pouted at that meeting was so adolescent. And he was such a dick about the woman who turned him down. His wife is so submissive and clingy--her pain is so obvious. I felt so bad for her.

I feel bad for all of them. There is nothing in this for them. They persuade themselves that their salvation lies in debasing themselves, squelching their own needs and having to "overcome" their jealousy to make them better people. WTF? The man gets to gather up a bunch of wives and every now and then scold them, lovingly, for being jealous and remind them that they are supposed to love and help each other. The women are kept pregnant and worn out with childbearing and child rearing, while he can jump from bed to bed and bleat about how he's called by God to have all these wives! Its for his salvation! And its so haaaaard! Doesn't look so hard from where I'm sitting. Not as hard as loving a man and having to not only share him, but actively participate in your own subjugation by selecting and vetting prospective rivals. I was so outraged on their behalf!

• Love 12

She looked totally beaten down. She's miserable, she knows she's going to have to share her husband, and she believes that its the only way she'll get to heaven. I wanted to kidnap her. Sasha!! It does not have to be this way!

• Love 2

I was disappointed at the end of the episode to see the blurb that Fosters ended up adding the 3rd wife (Lydia) after all.  The 3 of them seemed to get along so well and had it all worked out.  I'm sure it isn't going to go as smoothly with a 3rd wife.

• Love 1

I have to admit, I did laugh like hell at Enoch telling his wives on the way to the rally "Try not to look oppressed." They are not without a sense of humor about their situation.

A lot of these folks actually seem to be likable people, but I just cant get past the imbalance in the relationships and what I consider the nonsensical justification for their polygyny, which Pepper described so well in the previous post.

• Love 10
(edited)

Now I don't believe in polygamy but I don't think there is any sense in locking the parents up and putting the children in foster care. As long as the marriages involve consenting adults and the children are raised in a loving abuse free home then the law should not be involved. Many men have mistresses or children my multiple women who they don't see or care for, maybe use these resources to prosecute all the dead beat parents out there. Making it illegal will make abused women in polygamy fearful to report their abuser. That being said the majority of the women on this show look miserable.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 4/1/2018 at 11:20 PM, hopelessbookworm said:

I can't find anything online showing Catrina is a sister to Lillian and Anazella.  Where did you read this?

Edit:  Lillian and Anazella are full sisters.  But I think you are right that Catrina is their half-sister, because their "Mom Charlotte" sure looks like Catrina.  Lillian and Anazella's mom seems to be out of the picture, as Addam and Charlotte appear to be monogamous now.

1078551_1378490022378262_265336994_o.jpg

1078767_1376698689224062_327537711_o.jpg

Edited by Lopethina
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, Baarbera said:

I got an abusive vibe from him.  When he talked about "upsetting" Sasha, I got an icky feeling.  I can't put my finger on why...

I didn't get an abusive vibe but that he's an ass given that he's been reprimanded 3x for breaking the community rules.  Men who flout rules and laws tend to flout vows and don't make the best husbands or dads. 

On 4/2/2018 at 3:18 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

She looked totally beaten down. She's miserable, she knows she's going to have to share her husband, and she believes that its the only way she'll get to heaven. I wanted to kidnap her. Sasha!! It does not have to be this way!

I thought that Sasha looked happy.  Yes, she talked about it being hard and something about why she thought that Christ wanted her to be a polygamist   then she stopped talking.  I think she got really self-conscience.   I do not agree with polygamy being needed to get to Heaven, especially in the way that they do with the planets and kids living on the first husband's planet even if he's not their dad. 

There are a tiny amount of evangelical Christians who believe that the polygamy God allowed in the Old Testament is still allowed as the New Testament hasn't definitively said that it wasn't.  They don't think it has anything to do with getting into Heaven but it's allowed.  I've read their stuff and it made me think.   

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 1
On 4/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, Morgalisa said:

Those are some of the most naturally beautiful and telegenic women (minus 1 or 2)  that I have ever seen.  Beautiful hair and skin, especially in that hot climate.

I seriously need to know how these women pop out eight or ten kids and still look like they do!

• Love 5

I usually reserve my snark for the Duggar clan, but I must say, I think I like these people.  They seem more "real" than the other polygamous families currently in the spotlight.  

Did anyone else catch one of the widows (I think it was Melinda) say that after Jim passed away that they would be reunited in their afterlife?  What caught me off-guard was when she said (paraphrasing here) she sometimes wishes this current life would end soon so they could be together again.  I can't even begin to imagine her grief after losing him, but I hope she keeps on going for her children.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree about Christian. What an ass. His stupid explanation about firing bullets into the air wouldn't hurt anyone. I did like the other men for pointing out how stupid that was. His whole attitude in that meeting. God forbid people dare to be upset when some moron is firing off a rifle so close to people and kids. I hoped to see him kicked out by the end of the episode. I feel for Sasha being stuck married to a stupid man-child who doesn't think he has to follow any rules. Leaving his gun on a table gee that seems safe especially with his young child living there and tons of other kids around. 

What is the rush when it comes to the courting? Christian made it sound like this was first time he visited the woman in question. So he told her how much he loved her and talked about his feelings. How often did they speak before then? I couldn't tell if she knew he was coming and wanted her to be his second wife.  The other guy trying to court a 3rd wife also seemed to be trying to go really fast. Is that normal? Why can't they relax and go at a normal speed and give real time before making a decision. Or do they not want to do that because the woman would say no?

I really wish they'd drop the going to jail part. None of them are going to jail unless there's abuse or fraud. If the Utah wanted to couldn't they just go and arrest everyone at Rockland? The fact they haven't would probably be because no abuse or fraud (or at least that their aware of).         

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, crgirl412 said:

Abel's first wife doesn't seem to be miserable at all.  She is always calm and helping the other wives understand things that bother them.  Enoch's two wives seem very happy.  Maybe if Lydia marries them, it will get rough.   

I wondered about that after reading the line about Enoch marrying Lydia. The two wives got a long so well and really seemed happy. I hoped it worked out with Lydia coming into the family. I did crack up about the jokes about not looking suppress during the drive to the rally.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

I know. They say polygamy accelerates aging in women, but not this group. Must be the cave living. BTW, where do they get water and electricity?

I it's super beautiful, out there in the desert and caves. But all I can think of, when watching these episodes, is the sheer amount of red dust that must cover everything they own. 

• Love 2

Well, that's handy for making sure those women are busy doing housework all day. Tough to muster up the energy to fight with your sister wives or dare to gainsay a word of your husband's if you're exhausted from constant cleaning, cooking, and child care.

• Love 2
On 4/2/2018 at 8:30 AM, KeeperOfTheIce said:

I also don’t get why these women feel they need a sister wife to get to Heaven.  Christian’s wife really couldn’t explain that or why she felt she needed to do this.  It was like she didn’t even know. 

I noticed that, too. Sasha got a few minutes into explaining how living plural marriage would bring her closer to Jesus, and then she kind of trailed off and admitted that it was hard to explain. Yeah, no kidding.

• Love 4
On 4/2/2018 at 8:02 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Don't even get me started on his poor brainwashed wife. Remind me again how your husband gets to have two, or more, lovely young wives, and this is to help YOU spiritually.

She grew up in the religion didn't she?  I thought she said she had a ton of brothers and sisters also. 

On 4/2/2018 at 10:30 AM, KeeperOfTheIce said:

that was really weird because his wife was saying they had someone in mind but they didn't know how she felt about plural marriage. WHY would you seek out someone if you weren't sure if they were ok with plural marriage????? And then she made it seem like Christian could love her because he already loved her as a friend. His wife seemed to like the girl more than he did.  So me thinks they went to visit this girl and she just plain freaked out due to being asked to being an older man's wife. 

And how old was Enoch?? He probably looks older than he is... maybe... and I get why they look for young wives... (more time to have many babies) but it's just weird if he's close or in his 40's and seeking out 20 year olds. 

What I found the most interesting in the entire series is the wives of the husband that died.... they openly admitted that they fought A LOT and the one even pushed the other.  I feel like that wouldn't be accepted in that community and makes me wonder why he kept that 2nd wife around.  i think she obviously didn't want to be a 2nd wife. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, gunderda said:

And how old was Enoch?? He probably looks older than he is... maybe... and I get why they look for young wives... (more time to have many babies) but it's just weird if he's close or in his 40's and seeking out 20 year olds. 

"I have been called by God to take another wife. She's 15. But God says its all good".

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

"I have been called by God to take another wife. She's 15. But God says its all good".

Wow I remember he said she was going but 15???  Kind of getting back in the Jeff era me thinks!

3 hours ago, gunderda said:

What I found the most interesting in the entire series is the wives of the husband that died.... they openly admitted that they fought A LOT and the one even pushed the other.  I feel like that wouldn't be accepted in that community and makes me wonder why he kept that 2nd wife around.  i think she obviously didn't want to be a 2nd wife. 

I think they really strongly believe that their marriages are eternal. I don't see divorce as being an option. They may have a talking with Anazella, but I don't see divorce happening, no matter how contentious the relationships are. 

13 hours ago, Momof2boyz said:

Finally got around to watching the last episode On Demand.  I loved this show.  I expected it to be another "Sister Wives" but it was so much better.  Sorry it was only 4 episodes!

IT'S OVER????  WTH!!!  Is coming back? 

On 4/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, ghoulina said:

I think they really strongly believe that their marriages are eternal. I don't see divorce as being an option. They may have a talking with Anazella, but I don't see divorce happening, no matter how contentious the relationships are. 

I think ( and I could be wrong) that they can divorce for this lifetime, but if they are “ sealed” they join that husband in eternity, unless he “ releases” a wife? They can remarry, but only for “time”.

Robert Foster, the founder of this community, was divorced from his first wife.

• Love 2

I think Enoch’s third wife said she is 25.  I was honestly a little relieved she wasn’t 18-20 as it seems like a lot of the Mormon and Mormon offshoot women get married what I consider to be too young.  Still, that is a big age gap and I think would be hard to overcome.  Did the show say how old his first two wives are?

On 4/6/2018 at 10:29 PM, crgirl412 said:

IT'S OVER????  WTH!!!  Is coming back? 

No.  This was actually a 4 part documentary created for British television a couple of years ago.  

22 hours ago, Adiba said:

I think ( and I could be wrong) that they can divorce for this lifetime, but if they are “ sealed” they join that husband in eternity, unless he “ releases” a wife? They can remarry, but only for “time”.

Robert Foster, the founder of this community, was divorced from his first wife.

Christian apparently  grew up with his mother outside of the community.  Was she the first wife?  Was she Enoch's mother as well?  There was a photo portrait of the father with just the two sons, so I assume they were full brothers.  Perhaps Christian was still a minor so she left with him.  Interested to learn the full story.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Same here. I want to know how things worked out with Lydia joining the family and what made her change her mind. If Beth and Marina still hate each other. Did they boot Christian out. 

SO annoying!!  I wonder if there is a way to find out some that stuff online if we dig. 

• Love 1