Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E03: Trust Your Gut

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, willco said:

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at the girl who went to Ghost Island being a bit afraid of it, but it made her sound a little wimpy to me. I can see not wanting to go because you will miss out on what happens at camp, but you do get some solitude and it seems like some extra food. That's not bad.

Right?! I told my daughter, I'd enjoy a break from those people for one night!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

I'm out. If they didn't waste time on that stupid Ghost Island schtick every week, I might actually remember who half the players are by now. But, that's not gonna change. Which means that, ultimately, I do not actually care what happens to these people. And that's not gonna change either. See you next season. Maybe.

The Ghost Island thing is a complete fail at this point, not only don't people get advantages but stones are drawn to decide who goes there anyway.

• Love 5

A pox on all of you who mentioned Bradley's mouth!  I hadn't noticed it but I'm sure it's all I'm going to notice about him from here on out.  Aargh!

It finally dawned on me who Sebastian reminds me of.  I think he looks like Gannicus, from the season of Spartacus that was filmed as a prequel after Andy Whitfield got sick.  That same chimpanzee face and the long blondish hair.

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Interesting that the exile to Ghost Island happened at the Reward Challenge so they come back before the Immunity Challenge and therefore does not have automatic immunity.  This makes it more like a reward, what with the shelter, fire, decor, water, copious amounts of rice, and, oh yeah, the chance to win an advantage...all without missing any of the post IC/ pre TC strategizing back at camp.

The interesting thing was they did that the first time there may have been a genuine immediate advantage to be had.  I still think in this game it makes sense to do what they usually do and that is give someone who is on the outs early some advantage, which they didn't bother doing.

17 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Like seriously, Jeff had to tell these idiots that Chris and Wendell alone couldn't pull the track?

I don't think wndell was actually helping much by grabbing chris's waist.  First, it didn't relieve any of the weight chris was pulling.  Worse, it blocked any other person from grabbing the rope because wendell himself did not grab the rope.  he fucked up with that move. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Don't know her name, but stripey leggings yoga lady had better not weep about being a single mom "proving" something to her kids every damn week.  I find it irritating when moms or dads go on a reality show to impress or teach a life lesson to their kids.  If your children haven't gained the capacity to love or respect or learn from you during 'x' many years under the same roof, I don't think running around a jungle with complete strangers a thousand miles away is the best parenting choice.

Yes, and I can't help but wonder what part of living for your kids requires $9000 implants and a push-up bra.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Hera said:

The only thing I fault him and the other three original Malolo for is that no tried to draw the original Naviti votes.

This.  Said the same thing last night when Michael pulled out the idol mid-TC.

28 minutes ago, BarneySays said:

I don't think wendell was actually helping much by grabbing chris's waist.  First, it didn't relieve any of the weight chris was pulling.  Worse, it blocked any other person from grabbing the rope because wendell himself did not grab the rope.  he fucked up with that move. 

At least he wasn't just standing there yelling at Chris to pull harder.  Why didn't they reach around for some rope or ask for it?  As frustrating as it is to watch a tribe do something that dumb, I think Jeff is way out of line to coach them.

38 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, and I can't help but wonder what part of living for your kids requires $9000 implants and a push-up bra.

You mean dental implants?  Why would she have those?  Cuz breast implants cost half that, if she even has them.  I don't care for all the mom talk either.  But I'm interested in someone who solo backpacks into the mountains (contrasted with Kellyn ("oooh I don't want to be aloooone") and has shown a fairly good brain so far.

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 4

Kellyn has the most annoying voice ever!! Also, I wanted to hit something when she cried on the island AND was too scared to try the advantage challenge. Jesus, who DOES THAT? She needs to to get the boot as soon as possible.

Not liking any of these people very much. They're either totally forgettable or totally awful. Take your pick.

20 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I know this is a social game in the end but I’m cringing every time they talk about voting off a big guy. These challenges have been very physical. That chest looked really heavy. 

I think you're right, and it's most likely the reason Michael made the assumption that the tribe wouldn't target a strong guy,and played the idol for the wrong person.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

You mean dental implants?  Why would she have those?  Cuz breast implants cost half that, if she even has them.  I don't care for all the mom talk either.  But I'm interested in someone who solo backpacks into the mountains (contrasted with Kellyn ("oooh I don't want to be aloooone") and has shown a fairly good brain so far.

My mistake then,  last I heard breast implants were around ten thousand, but that was several years ago so they've probably gotten cheaper. I wouldn't care if Stephanie chose to get breast implants or have her feet bound or whatever else, if she wasn't playing the, "I'm a poor, self-sacrificing single mom who only lives for her children," card.   Because, seriously, what kid has ever said, "I wish my mom's boobs were bigger and more circular?"  You can buy a lot of nice school clothes for $5000.

Kellyn has the most annoying voice ever!! Also, I wanted to hit something when she cried on the island AND was too scared to try the advantage challenge. Jesus, who DOES THAT?

Well if you're talking about the crying, Chris did that last week.  ;)  I agree, though, that in the cry baby challenge Kellyn takes the win by being scared of the island and the advantage.

I dislike both Kellyn and Stephanie for the same thing and that's trying to convince us all about what special, amazing people they are.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Bradley DID look scared.  He was terrified.  At least we got that.  Boston Rob Kim Spradlin my ass LOOOOOOOOOOLL

Just comparing himself to Boston Rob was enough to put him on my list of people I hate with a purple passion.  

• Love 5

Bradley really did look scared sh#less. I think he got lost in moment of playing a character on tv without realizing his ass me guy have gone home. It was pretty funny to see happen in real time. I’m sure he’ll laugh it off next week though. As long, as you didn’t get voted out you’re good for another 3 Days. I’m interested to see how he plays going forward. The trifecta of have Bradley, Dom & Chris battling it out would be fun. LOL!!!!!

• Love 4

I have to say I'm afraid now.  I haven't found anybody to root for yet and I think the last time I actually rooted for someone was Millennials vs Gen X when I rooted for Jay.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, babs1226 said:

I think you're right, and it's most likely the reason Michael made the assumption that the tribe wouldn't target a strong guy,and played the idol for the wrong person.   

Yup. Exactly right. I read an exit interview with Brendan that he had a conversation with Kellyn and told her his birthday was the day after TC and he really hoped he’d be spending it on the island. He saw her start to tear up (shocking) and turn away really fast and that’s how he knew they were gunning for him. He tried to convince Michael but he said Michael didn’t think they’d vote off a strong guy so early when they were losing so often. 

I hate when they vote off the strongest players especially when you’re on a tribe that keeps losing! I get they are a threat for individual immunity but you’re not gonna merge at 18 players. 

Edited by UGAmp
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

But if you're losing anyway then the 'strongest' players aren't necessarily an asset to you.

They only lost the once, and they only lost at the ball throwing area rather flukishly after being ahead all challenge and c/- knocking a ball off then difficulty making the final throw. They will be toast without Brendan's strength and organizational skills next challenge. Unless it's another freaking puzzle. But Boston Rob without the swagger and street smarts and Kim Spradlin without the weird charisma and moustache Bradley hasn't figured that out yet. Bit late. Dill.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, violet and green said:

They only lost the once, and they only lost at the ball throwing area rather flukishly after being ahead all challenge and c/- knocking a ball off then difficulty making the final throw. They will be toast without Brendan's strength and organizational skills next challenge. Unless it's another freaking puzzle. But Boston Rob without the swagger and street smarts and Kim Spradlin without the weird charisma and moustache Bradley hasn't figured that out yet. Bit late. Dill.

The old Navitis on that tribe don't care. They have got the numbers and they will just vote out the three remaining Malolos if they lose.  

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And since he straight up said who his alliance was voting for, they knew they were in no danger. So why should they risk it? Now, if he had said something like “two of us are safe. All of us are voting for one of you, but we’re not telling which one.  So in order to save yourself, you can try voting for someone else in your own alliance and hope that tilts the balance away from you.” Or something.  All I know is, the offer he made, the way he made it, had almost no chance of succeeding.

I like Michael, and his lie about the idol giving double immunity was very smart, as was openly trying to get Sebastian and Chelsea to flip, but I do agree he shouldn't have told them they were all voting for Bradley because at that point, if Sebastian and Chelsea believe they are at the bottom of the old Naviti 5, from their point of view, the options are:

(1) Flip: They vote for Bradley with old Malolo, Bradley goes home. They're now in the majority alliance, but come merge time, all of old Naviti sees them as disloyal and if old Malolo is as tight as these four then maybe they move from fifth and sixth in the alliance to 9th and 10th.

(2) Don't Flip, and Michael guesses correctly about who to use the idol for: Bradley goes home. Old tribal alliances are now tied. They're viewed as loyal to old Naviti and have moved up one spot in the alliance order.

(3) Don't Flip, and Michael guesses wrong: Brendan goes home. Old Naviti has both the numbers advantage on this tribe and overall. They're viewed as loyal and haven't worsened their position.

Not flipping has no downside for them, and flipping has little to no upside. The only way they might be inclined to flip is if they personally were at risk of going home. What I think Michael should have said is, "the four of us are putting one vote on Bradley and three on one of the other four of you. If the four of you stick with Bradley, you might get one of us out, but two of us are immune so if you're the one we vote for, you have a 50/50 chance of going home. If you want to guarantee you'll stay, then three of you have to vote for Bradley. It's up to you whether you want to guarantee your own safety or take a chance that you'll get idoled out in order to protect Baby Fish Mouth over there." Then all of old Malolo should vote for Bradley anyway, and if even one of old Naviti chokes, Bradley's gone.

9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Another good ep. I love this season so far. Man, having super low expectations is actually really great lol.

Yes to your whole post, but especially this. I thought the Ghost Island thing was going to be ass -- and that aspect of it kind of is so far -- but the cast is great. I love almost everyone who's been getting airtime, even if a couple of them are love-to-hate love. I adore the potential alliance of Laurel, Donathan, Wendell and Dominick, especially because when Laurel told Dominick she wanted to ally with him, his shocked and delighted face was like Expression Level: Troyzan. Angela's perpetually disgruntled face makes me laugh. Chris collapsing in the sand after the IC as if he were Willem Dafoe dying in Platoon cracked me up. I don't necessarily think each cast member is so great individually, but something about this combination of players is working.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 19
20 hours ago, mishap said:

Ok, I don't think I would have played it like he did, but he had a plan and he pulled it off pretty well, but I am confused why he played the idol for Stephanie, rather than himself or Brenden, since he previously thought they would be gunning for one of them.  

I assume the reason was that since he said he had two immunities, he thought they would have assumed he'd use it on himself and brendon.  So, the question for him was, which of the women will they choose in our stead.  He didn't expect they either (a) wouldn't believe him or (b) stick with voting out brendon. 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

But if you're losing anyway then the 'strongest' players aren't necessarily an asset to you.

Fair point. Especially with so many “equalizers” at the end of each challenge in the form of puzzles or throwing balls/grappling hooks/coconuts at a target of some sort. 

But if I were on a tribe, I’d want to keep Brendan-like player over a Jenna (Libby? One of the blondes) or Stephanie-type to give us a better chance of winning down the road if there was a wildly physical challenge. 

• Love 3

Adding Laurel to my very short list of "favs."  She was beasting in that water challenge.  

Those PB & Js looked...strange.  A whole lotta bread & not enuff peanut butter or jelly.  (I know, I know.  Hungry people are not that picky. Just an observation from a PB&J connoisseur.)

Mike is also joining Laurel in my Favs list.  Just wish he had read the correct target.

I can't recall the last time it happened, but I know the producers have done multiple "drop your buffs" in one season.  Here's hoping they do that again and the Smug, Old Navitis end up on the wrong side of the swap.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I loved when during the reward challenge, Probst yelled, "Watch the neck!" when one of the ladies was grabbing the other around the throat and almost pulling her under the water.  You mean there are rules to that challenge?  I was wondering what would happen if one player tried to drown an opponent by holding his/her head under the water.  This seemed to come close to happening a few times.  

When opening the challenge he used the words "by any means necessary." I guess that's not accurate.  When yelled the neck warning I thought, "What?  That is the definition of by any means necessary!" Also, was there a rule aganist slipping the hoop over your head sitting it around your waist and using your whole body to move it to the post?  That's what I would've done.

7 hours ago, fishcakes said:

What I think Michael should have said is, "the four of us are putting one vote on Bradley and three on one of the other four of you. If the four of you stick with Bradley, you might get one of us out, but two of us are immune so if you're the one we vote for, you have a 50/50 chance of going home. If you want to guarantee you'll stay, then three of you have to vote for Bradley. It's up to you whether you want to guarantee your own safety or take a chance that you'll get idoled out in order to protect Baby Fish Mouth over there." Then all of old Malolo should vote for Bradley anyway, and if even one of old Naviti chokes, Bradley's gone.

This! Bluffing about double immunity was a great play. Telegraphing where the vote was going was not.  Fear is a great motivator, and this may have pushed someone to make a move.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

This! Bluffing about double immunity was a great play. Telegraphing where the vote was going was not.  Fear is a great motivator, and this may have pushed someone to make a move.

The Three Amigos were able to tell the other alliance that they were putting their votes on Phillip. This worked and Phillip was voted out. That said, Malcolm, Eddie & Reynold all had immunity and were safe. It's the little things that helps. LOL!!! Overall, it's a great plan but hopefully future players will know not to name the potential victim. Why give them ALL of the information?!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

My mistake then,  last I heard breast implants were around ten thousand, but that was several years ago so they've probably gotten cheaper. I wouldn't care if Stephanie chose to get breast implants or have her feet bound or whatever else, if she wasn't playing the, "I'm a poor, self-sacrificing single mom who only lives for her children," card.   Because, seriously, what kid has ever said, "I wish my mom's boobs were bigger and more circular?"  You can buy a lot of nice school clothes for $5000.

Well if you're talking about the crying, Chris did that last week.  ;)  I agree, though, that in the cry baby challenge Kellyn takes the win by being scared of the island and the advantage.

I dislike both Kellyn and Stephanie for the same thing and that's trying to convince us all about what special, amazing people they are.

Or she was having back pain due to breasts that were large and had breast reduction surgery, which can lead to implants. I know a few folks who had their breasts reduced because they could not physically support the breasts that they had. Some insurances will cover the surgery, some will not. I don't know if she had implants or not but there are actual legit medical reasons to have breast implants.

14 hours ago, UGAmp said:

Yup. Exactly right. I read an exit interview with Brendan that he had a conversation with Kellyn and told her his birthday was the day after TC and he really hoped he’d be spending it on the island. He saw her start to tear up (shocking) and turn away really fast and that’s how he knew they were gunning for him. He tried to convince Michael but he said Michael didn’t think they’d vote off a strong guy so early when they were losing so often. 

I hate when they vote off the strongest players especially when you’re on a tribe that keeps losing! I get they are a threat for individual immunity but you’re not gonna merge at 18 players. 

14 hours ago, LanceM said:

The old Navitis on that tribe don't care. They have got the numbers and they will just vote out the three remaining Malolos if they lose.  

This. It makes sense for a group of folks who are solid and in the majority to lose challenges to vote out the minority tribe after a swap. You improve your original tribe, and hence your alliances, chances of making the merge and working your way to the finals. If you have the chance to remove physical competitors who could cause you problems when individual immunity is on the line and not hurt your numbers, then there is no harm in voting out the stronger dudes from the other tribe. The Old Naviti's came in with the numbers. They have no good reason to keep their new tribe strong because their alliance of five is solid and they have friends on the other tribe that they will met at the merge. So why not vote out Brendan and Michael who will be a threat at the merge?

• Love 6
14 hours ago, UGAmp said:

But if I were on a tribe, I’d want to keep Brendan-like player over a Jenna (Libby? One of the blondes) or Stephanie-type to give us a better chance of winning down the road if there was a wildly physical challenge. 

It depends though. As @ProfCrash pointed out, for the Old Purple tribe members on New Yellow, it doesn't actually make sense to keep the strong members of Old Yellow on New Yellow. It actually is stupid for them to do that. Keeping the strong players isn't always the wise choice. It all just depends on the circumstances.

11 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I can't recall the last time it happened, but I know the producers have done multiple "drop your buffs" in one season.  Here's hoping they do that again and the Smug, Old Navitis end up on the wrong side of the swap.

I really want them to tribe swap again and for Kellyn and Bradley to be on a tribe with majority original Yellow tribe members. And for them to end up on the Yellow beach they hate. That would be so fun!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Implants can be anywhere from $4000-$40,000.   Maybe her's are real, I don't know.  But if I ran marathons and was born with those, I think I'd be getting them reduced.  And not replaced with fake ginormous ones after.  

I kind of wonder about how a struggling single mom hikes Vietnam and competes in Iron Man triathlons.  I only have one easy kid and I was lucky to get in an exercise DVD now and then, and Disneyland by car (with her) once a year or so.  

24 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Implants can be anywhere from $4000-$40,000.   Maybe her's are real, I don't know.  But if I ran marathons and was born with those, I think I'd be getting them reduced.  And not replaced with fake ginormous ones after.  

I kind of wonder about how a struggling single mom hikes Vietnam and competes in Iron Man triathlons.  I only have one easy kid and I was lucky to get in an exercise DVD now and then, and Disneyland by car (with her) once a year or so.  

I barely get to the gym with my kid and my Husband is a very active parent. I could go more frequently but I don't like going at 8 PM and I am not waking up at 4:30 AM to get to the gym before work. Not gonna do it. I know several Moms who participate in triathlons with multiple kids under 6 at home. They are married and have a lot of family close by so they have a ton of support. It is very possible that Stephanie has a lot of help in the area and embraces the it takes a village mentality. Or she has shared custody and her kids spend time with their father after school. I am not going to judge her decisions because I don't know her arrangements. Maybe she hiked Vietnam when her kids were with their father for a vacation?

This is an area that bothers me with reality TV. I understand that these folks put themselves out there for comment and people comment but I see their parenting choices as something off limits. I have no problem with a parent on the show wanting to win to provide a better life for their kid. a one in twenty chance to win One million dollars is a pretty good chance to provide for your kids. If you have a good support system and feel like you can take the chance, I say go for it. I am not going to judge their parenting based on their choice to participate on Survivor.

So she has found a way to be really active while raising kids solo. I have to assume that she has appropriate cover for her kids when she is gone.

Now if she talks about how much she loves to beat her kid or thinks that it is cool to let them do drugs, I say it is fair game but questioning her travel and implants are areas that I find to be outside the scope of the game. We don't have the answers and without that we are judging on pretty superficial terms.

And yes, she mentioned wanting to win for her kids and that it is not easy as a single parent but that does not equate, for me, with permission to question all her parenting choices.

I'll shut up now.

• Love 11

I like her.  But these are things that run through my mind, and it's part of why reality tv and sites like this are popular. 

I think having a great support system that lets you do international travel and extreme hobbies is great.  But if you have that, I reserve the right to scoff at your pretending to be suffering through fully parenting alone, in your confessionals.  

Parenting is hard when you have two, involved parents. I cannot imagine being a single parent. I tend not to scoff at anyone who is doing their best. Reality TV contestants seem to get slammed if they don't mention their kids and slammed if they mention their kids.

I did not see what she said as suffering but saying that it was hard. I was left with the impression that she has sole responsibility of the kids for most of the year and that it was challenging. If she uses triathalon training as her release, well good for her. If she goes and does something extreme when she doesn't have the kids, good for her.

Parenting is hard under the best of circumstances, nit picking parents drives me crazy. I hate the Mom wars crap. Good for you if you choose to stay home and good for you if you go to work. I don't judge you if you co-sleep or sleep train. I don't care if you choose to bottle feed or breast feed, although I do find it a bit weird to be breast feeding your kid after they start to talk but I don't say that to anyone who is breastfeeding. I don't care how you spend your time when you don't have your kids.

Parenting is hard. Support parents to the best of our ability. I doubt that she is leaving her kids home alone while she trains or stocks up on food and leaves them for a few weeks to go and hike Vietnam. I get wanting the money to make things better for your kids. I don't think she was pretending to suffer. I think she misses her kids. I think she is trying to the best by her kids. And I think she misses her kids.

• Love 7
On 3/15/2018 at 12:55 PM, marys1000 said:

Its thinking long term but going with Domenick because he isn't as bossy as Chris is (1) playing emotionally and (2) why wouldn't you want to sit next to super annoying Chris who will get no votes at the end?  I think switching to Domenick's team is a big stupid mistake for Laurel, Donathan and anyone else who keeps Domenick around.  ...

I respectfully disagree.  I think it is emotionalism when tribes decide they have to keep "the strong guy" and don't think through things logically.

This isn't old school Survivor any more where keeping said strong guy is that viable a strategy because:

1.  Tribes do the "drop the buff" dance of multiple swaps now so that "strong guy" on your tribe now could well end up on the newest tribe sending you to tribal in a couple of days.

2.  That "strong guy" if he makes it to merge -- which happens all the time when you follow the "must keep strong guy" emotional mantra -- could well go on an immunity run and screw your game up.  The other alliance since they can't target him will target his sidekick, you, instead.

3.  So that "strong guy" could well tick off others and make your alliance with him into the main alliance under attack from others.  Especially true with Chris here.

4.  And it is a major mistake to look for a goat this early.  There will be plenty of goat-like players down the road.  And Chris is no goat because he has a resume he is building even now as the "leader" and the "winner of challenges" guy.  You do NOT want to sit next to him at the final anyway.

5.  Stuck with Chris you will always be seen as his loyal sidekick which will get you nothing in the finale but being a silly follower who never made any moves of their own.

6.  Maybe you logically think that you have a far better plan but you can't implement it because Chris is always blocking you and YOUR GAME.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Parenting is hard. Support parents to the best of our ability. I doubt that she is leaving her kids home alone while she trains or stocks up on food and leaves them for a few weeks to go and hike Vietnam. I get wanting the money to make things better for your kids. I don't think she was pretending to suffer. I think she misses her kids. I think she is trying to the best by her kids.

You know you and I are like 98% on the same page on things, usually.  I'm totally with you on the mom wars and I'm not trying to fuel that fire.  I am a single parent, though I almost never use that phrase because I consider it a privilege, not a hardship.  I don't want to be scolded here because I wonder how other parents justify huge expenditures of time and money that I wouldn't consider.  I don't think she's a bad mom.   I just am not going to hear little violins in my head when the show tries to go there with this angle.  

Well, this season continues to be entertaining, which is great - I just finished a big work, and rewarded myself with this episode and then your wise and fun comments here :)

23 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

The Ghost Island thing is a complete fail at this point, not only don't people get advantages but stones are drawn to decide who goes there anyway.

I like that stones are drawn. It makes sense given the divide in the tribes, but mostly it allows someone who would never have been picked to go there. Not that it has helped anyone much, except in allowing them to be away from their tribe mates and drop the mask for a little while (hence why there have been tears shed there - I suspect later on in the game the dynamics will change).

20 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

When Bradley said he wanted to be like Kim, I appreciated the Kim reference, but I was like bitch please! Now, BRob, sure, he could be like him. Almost anyone could really.

No Kim, no Rob. As maligned as the latter can be, it takes not only game understanding, but more importantly amazing charisma to play as they both (in very different ways) did.  

19 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I have to say I'm afraid now.  I haven't found anybody to root for yet and I think the last time I actually rooted for someone was Millennials vs Gen X when I rooted for Jay.  

I've found out that the game is even more enjoyable when I don't particularly root for one person. Why not enjoy it and go with the flow? From week to week, feel free to dislike someone you previously liked, and vice versa. I makes you more objective, I think, in how you analyse each move instead of relating to it as either a personal affront or the best thing ever invented.

Lastly, in the spirit of the Survivor doppelgänger game, Bradley, especially with his glasses on, reminds me of that guy on the third season of Unreal (the smugness may play a part in that), and there's someone whose name I still can't remember who brings to mind Greta Gerwig, with dark hair.

Otherwise, during challenges, I've realized that I mentally surimpose Ozzy's head to Sebastian's.  ...?

I had to laugh (but in a good way) at how hard Chris played both challenges. Nothing builds a fire under you like the idea that you must prove yourself indispensable so as not to be voted out next.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Parenting is hard when you have two, involved parents. I cannot imagine being a single parent. I tend not to scoff at anyone who is doing their best. Reality TV contestants seem to get slammed if they don't mention their kids and slammed if they mention their kids.

I can imagine it because I've been both.  I was a married mom who had to support myself, my son and the dead beat husband in the recliner.  Then I was a divorced mom who only had to support myself and my son, which was easier.  I had no  family around, no child support or alimony and only a minimum wage job. Yet, I never once described myself to anyone as a "single mom."

"Single mother," is a term originally only used to describe never married mothers with no father in the picture. As such, the phrase garnered so much sympathy and so many, "She's so brave!" comments, that other women, from widows to divorced women getting $5000 a month child support checks, decided to start claiming the term for themselves. 

I have never slammed any reality TV contestant for not mentioning their kids and never heard anyone else do it.  But if they do bring them up and refer to themselves by the loaded "single mom," phrase then, I  reserve the right to discuss this, along with all the other things people say on the show.  If a man brags that he's a brilliant lawyer at home, but then  can't manage simple strategy on the show, I'll laugh at him.  If a woman says that her children are her one and only concern in life and she then mentions hobbies that take her away from them for months out of the year, I'll bring that up too.  If she's implying through the "single mother" claim that she's the total support of her children, I'll wonder how she manages to get time off from her job for Reality TV stints and whose watching the kids while she's on.

Stephanie made her children and her status as "single mother," part of the show when she brought it all up. If she has all sorts of support caring for her kids while she does other fun things, then she's not the struggling-all-alone "single mother," we picture when someone uses the phrase and she should stop using it about herself.  How do her children and their father feel about that, if they're with him watching her on TV?  How "single," is her parenting if the kids are with another parent or even a grandparent, half the time? 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Those PB & Js looked...strange.  A whole lotta bread & not enuff peanut butter or jelly.  (I know, I know.  Hungry people are not that picky. Just an observation from a PB&J connoisseur.)

Ha. My son asked, "Why are they eating PB&J on THAT kind of bread????" He thought it was super weird. 

52 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

I've found out that the game is even more enjoyable when I don't particularly root for one person. Why not enjoy it and go with the flow? From week to week, feel free to dislike someone you previously liked, and vice versa. I makes you more objective, I think, in how you analyse each move instead of relating to it as either a personal affront or the best thing ever invented.

This is so true. I often find myself gravitating towards someone. And I'm the type who likes to root for the underdog. But I've always enjoyed the seasons where I didn't really have a clear favorite the most. When you're not as invested, the flipping and flopping is a lot more fun. At the end of the day, I just like to watch good game play! 

• Love 2

I no longer slam contestants for their stupid clothes choices or their "hook" -- both are chosen by the producers and forced on the players. I have a strong feeling that Stephanie is getting confessional questions like, "As a single mother, how does it feel to be away from your family? Tell us how much winning this game would mean to you. And please make sure to use the phrase, 'as a single mom'."

Pure speculation on my part, admittedly, but we've heard from so many contestants on reality game shows over the years about how much of what we see is stuff that production insisted on and that they were contractually obliged to go along.

Edited by Gummo
(edited for clarity)
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, green said:

I respectfully disagree.  I think it is emotionalism when tribes decide they have to keep "the strong guy" and don't think through things logically.

This isn't old school Survivor any more where keeping said strong guy is that viable a strategy because:

1.  Tribes do the "drop the buff" dance of multiple swaps now so that "strong guy" on your tribe now could well end up on the newest tribe sending you to tribal in a couple of days.

2.  That "strong guy" if he makes it to merge -- which happens all the time when you follow the "must keep strong guy" emotional mantra -- could well go on an immunity run and screw your game up.  The other alliance since they can't target him will target his sidekick, you, instead.

3.  So that "strong guy" could well tick off others and make your alliance with him into the main alliance under attack from others.  Especially true with Chris here.

4.  And it is a major mistake to look for a goat this early.  There will be plenty of goat-like players down the road.  And Chris is no goat because he has a resume he is building even now as the "leader" and the "winner of challenges" guy.  You do NOT want to sit next to him at the final anyway.

5.  Stuck with Chris you will always be seen as his loyal sidekick which will get you nothing in the finale but being a silly follower who never made any moves of their own.

6.  Maybe you logically think that you have a far better plan but you can't implement it because Chris is always blocking you and YOUR GAME.

Well switching to Domenick has nothing to do with

1_ "Must keep the strong guy" so I don't know what that has to do with it. 

2_ same

3 I don't think its too early to keep it mind when you are doing something as risking jumping ship on your original tribe and alliance this early.  And its not just switching from a goat but to a strong player who has a big shot at winning.  

4_ Not so much a loyal sidekick if you blindside him or switch alliance later

5_ Chris is only blocking your game if you let him.  Domenick is a strong player who has plent of block in him plus is a lot more likeable

Edited by marys1000

Well, if we start saying that their lines are producer driven, then we can't dislike Bradley because they might have asked him if "as a lawyer" he thought some thing or other  and insisted he compare beaches and talk about what he found hardest about the game just to make him sound whiney.  They might have encouraged Kellyn to tell us her philosophy of life and  to mention her divorce during every interview. Maybe they talked her out of taking the advantage.  They may have got Chris to cry by asking him about his mother's MS.  Pretty soon we can't hold any of them accountable for anything they say or do  and  even what looks like poor performance in a challenge might just be edited that way.  In which case this message board is just a pointless exercise in posters judging other posters as judgmental while the reality TV cast becomes sacrosanct.

Edited by JudyObscure
Reply is to Gummo
  • Love 3

https://es.xfinity.com/sdmy/blogs/tv/2018/03/15/survivor-castaway-brendan-its-a-game-built-on-conflict-so-i-thought-there-would-be-more-jerks/

Holmes: Bradley seemed to be rubbing the classic Malolo members the wrong way. We heard him complaining about Malolo beach…although, in his defense, Naviti beach is much nicer. Was there anything else that was getting under everyone's skin?
Shapiro: Bradley…I think he was bent out of shape about having to change beaches, so he was complaining about everything. The reward challenge, he complained that the current was pulling toward Naviti’s pole. If there was something to complain about, he’d complain about it. And he’s got a great sense of humor. But out there, it was kind of a dark sense of humor. I will say this about him, outside of the game, we’re friends. But inside of the game I wanted to smash him, as did my fellow Malolos. He was killing us.

Holmes: Alright, word association time. 

Holmes: Bradley?
Shapiro: (Laughs) He’s funny…often in a dark and depressing kind of way. I don’t want to blow his cover, but he’s a good guy.

Is Bradley purposefully playing a villian? 

And this was sort of strange too - what does that mean different stations?  That's what I might say about...royalty or something. 

Holmes: Jenna?
Shapiro: We couldn’t be in more different stations of life, yet she was as kind to me as you can imagine.

Edited by marys1000

In which case this message board is just a pointless exercise in posters judging other posters as judgmental while the reality TV cast becomes sacrosanct.

You actually think there's a POINT to endlessly chewing over the meaning of TV game shows? 

Besides fun, that is?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NutMeg said:

No Kim, no Rob. As maligned as the latter can be, it takes not only game understanding, but more importantly amazing charisma to play as they both (in very different ways) did.  

I was referring to the fact that Rob got 4 chances, the last one being a lay up, to win. I mean, a lot of people could probably win under those circumstances!

40 minutes ago, marys1000 said:

Holmes: Bradley?
Shapiro: (Laughs) He’s funny…often in a dark and depressing kind of way. I don’t want to blow his cover, but he’s a good guy.

Is Bradley purposefully playing a villian? 

I don't know what Brendan means there, but I love a dark/depressing kind of funny, so I hope we see more of that out of Bradley before he is deliciously booted.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

When opening the challenge he used the words "by any means necessary." I guess that's not accurate.  When yelled the neck warning I thought, "What?  That is the definition of by any means necessary!" Also, was there a rule aganist slipping the hoop over your head sitting it around your waist and using your whole body to move it to the post?  That's what I would've done.

Memory is hazy here - but if I recall correctly there was an incident a few years ago during a mud pit variant of one of the capture-the-flag challenges, when one of the contestants (Penner, maybe?) was complaining of injury or near-injury because an opposing player threw a chokehold on him.  It’s likely the show’s lawyers stepped in at that point and said, “If you don’t at least tell them NOT to do it, you’re leaving us wide open for some nice fat liability lawsuits.”

7 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Too funny

Every time I see Sebastian, I can’t shake the feeling Legolas and Yoda had a drunken night together that both would just as soon forget.

• Love 1