Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Basque-ets

It's always the quiet ones.

I love Christine, but once again she didn't listen to what Martha actually wanted resulting in near-tragedy. I don't think she can quite grasp that not everyone wants or needs a big to-do. Although, Martha did say it was one of her best b'days, so hard to say.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 3

I got choked up when Chip called Ken and told him to go to Christine's house because you just "know" when a relationship is worth saving. I think mostly because it felt like he was talking about himself and his relationship with Martha. 

I felt lousy Ken chose to spend his Christmas in the motel room alone. :(  Then I felt lousier when I found out next week is the season finale. 

There was one line in this episode that really stood out and made me chuckle but now I can't remember it.  Anyone else know which one I meant?

Oh, wait, I remember now.  It was when Ken called Chip and whispered "I'm in the bathroom" to which Chip responded "well congratulations" (not realizing he meant there at the restaurant).

Edited by SWLinPHX
  • Love 3

Oh my lord, there were so many great lines. 

Christine: Look at that tree. Doesn't it look like Ken? So stoic.

Christine: Thank you, sir, but we don't want any of these dogs. Good luck getting rid of 'em.

Martha: I've been dreaming about being 50 since I was a little girl.

Chip: I've been trying to practice my empathy lately, and my emphathy tells me that we should throw a party for Martha or she's going to try to kill herself.
Christine: Well that's a good idea, Chip. I mean for the party.

Martha: I'm sorry you had to see that.
Chip: I'm sorry you had to see my reaction.

I loved when Chip was leading Martha blindfolded thru the restaurant, and she bumped into the sign and talked to it. Even after Chip pointed out that it was a sign, she continued talking to it. "Sorry, I thought you were a person."

Christine: Martha, you look nervous. Is it because of all the Basques?

I love the punny ep title, Basque-ets.

Martha's car air freshener tree decorated with little beads was very cute. I may do that next Christmas.

Great visual gag of the neighbor struggling to put his Christmas tree in the trash, and then Christine easily pushing it completely down.

Another great visual gag was the big semi truck and the mini Fiat.

Dale's fiancé needed ice to drink her Red Bull with her Pedialyte?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

It's always the quiet ones.

I love Christine, but once again she didn't listen to what Martha actually wanted resulting in near-tragedy. I don't think she can quite grasp that not everyone wants or needs a big to-do. Although, Martha did say it was one of her best b'days, so hard to say.

Between this comment and the creepy, probably haunted doll that Martha got as a gift, I'm beginning to think that her parents might suck. 

I enjoyed the fiasco as a viewer but the fact that the hot mess at the Basque restaurant was one of Martha's best birthdays just made me want to give her a hug. 

Christine was annoyingly selfish this episode. Which was ironic because it ends with Ken telling her she is the kindest person he's ever met. It did seem out of character after the business womens' conference. 

There were some awesome sight gags in this episode. I think my favorite was the fact that Martha's birthday cake was  blueberry muffin in a plastic tray. Troy clearly put a lot of effort in! 

And sadly we now have the return of Dale. I knew his absence would be too good to last. 

• Love 4

This episode seemed disjointed to me,  mainly cuz I don't care about Martha's private life or family.  I like her and Christine chatting at Costco.

Hang in there,  Ken.  

The Basque jokes were kind of fun though.  I would watch Christine/Louie read the phone book. She/he is just so endearing and real as (his) mom, or any mom would be when seen through the eyes of an adult child.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

(in real life it's called Wool Growers):

I had no idea that it was a real place! I looked at the menu online and they do, indeed, have "beef tongue" -- but it's listed as "pickled" and I can't believe Christine couldn't have used that to get in a barb about Dale's "Dill Pickles" clown act. The other notable menu item: "bowl of garlic" is listed as a side dish. Yum! (Three hours later: Regret!)

On 3/21/2018 at 6:00 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

Christine was annoyingly selfish this episode. Which was ironic because it ends with Ken telling her she is the kindest person he's ever met. It did seem out of character after the business womens' conference. 

There were some awesome sight gags in this episode. I think my favorite was the fact that Martha's birthday cake was  blueberry muffin in a plastic tray. Troy clearly put a lot of effort in! 

I have to say that I really felt the need to give Christine a shake and tell her to snap the f**k out of it! Her mouth causes so many issues/nuclear fallouts, and yet she remains oblivious throughout. I don't remember seeing a blueberry muffin. When in the episode did this occur? I enjoy all the characters' storylines so much that I appreciate every little additional detail the producers/ writers allow us.

After all is said and done, Martha looks pretty damn good for 50!

Edited by Chalby