Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Necromancing The Stone

• Start Topic

On 3/19/2018 at 10:48 PM, cambridgeguy said:

Also, what the hell is wrong with Nate?  I guess he forgot he can turn his body into steel and should at least try to do so before facing down an ass kicker like Sara

20 hours ago, benteen said:

If I had one issue, it's the continuing aversion to having Nate using his powers.  I get it, they are trying to save budget (just like when Firestorm wouldn't use their powers) but it's getting ridiculous how they seem to act like Nate doesn't have any powers at all.  You're scared of Possessed Sara?  Then USE YOUR POWERS TO AT LEAST GIVE YOURSELF A FIGHTING CHANCE!

17 hours ago, KirkB said:

Seriously, Nate? One of the best fighters and most dangerous people in the world is hopped up on death magic and hunting you, and you DON'T walk around the ship already steeled up? You knocked her out with one punch last season. You deserved what you got.

15 hours ago, benteen said:

Wally seems to be the only one who gets to use his powers right now.  I get the limitations but have them make sense.  If Nate is being hunted by a possessed Sara, how is he not already steeled up?  How do you even justify that in story?  It's just getting more and more ridiculous each week.

I thought he automatically turned to steel when endangered, like a reflex. I seem to remember this happening when shot at soon after he gained his powers. Maybe that was before he could control them. It was extremely noticeable that he didn't even try. Honestly, I thought he should have turned to steel before he began searching for Sara.

Mick ought to feel a bit guilty that he wasn't where he was supposed to be, in the lab with Ray, when Ray was attacked.  But I guess Sara would have just knocked him out or killed him then.

Did anyone think at first that Ray had been hurt and the lab was in disarray because the cold fusion experiment had gone awry? I suppose there would have been the noise of a mighty explosion, though.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Goldmoon said:

Never watched Constantine but it is free on the CWSeed app, so I might have to watch it. 

I recommend it to everyone who likes LoT. If I remember correctly, the first episode wasn't great, but then the female lead was changed and we got further into the mythology, which is very strong. I recommend trying to binge the first 3 or so before deciding it's not for you.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CloudySky said:

I'll explain away Nate's lack of steeling up as...he had to be flesh and blood to use the earth totem? Or something?

That would make sense, but he should still steel up till he has it on his neck, and definitely while being choked to death!

What was Wally's comment about the ultimate result of all the anachronisms being as bad as Flashpoint? I thought it was clever of the writers.

Wally will have fun on Legends. But two episodes dealing with "ghosts" may have him wanting to run back home.

When was the last time Nate stealed up? He dis for a little bit in the midseason finale but I can't think off the top my head when since. He must be really expensive. 

Was Bebo the the last time Ray shrunk?

And as someone said this was pretty much a second bottle episode. The two extra episodes must be really expensive. 

Sara's breakup with Ava was super similar to hers with Oliver, that is what got to me.

I loved this episode. But I think (so far) only the circus episode and last weeks have been not as good for me.

I still miss Jax. He should been in a Sara episode. I really felt his absence this week.

• Love 2
On 3/19/2018 at 9:19 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Isn't that the story Sara told Oliver, Felicity and Diggle on Arrow? 

I never really watched Arrow except for part of S3 (mainly because of the crossover), so it's interesting that that story was told over there.  Thanks!

On 3/19/2018 at 10:10 PM, Primal Slayer said:

I wish they had made the totems  more individualistic. The animal Totem is so unique while the others are just stones put on necklace. 

I listen to a LoT podcast that decided that the Earth Totem came from Claire's.

If I didn't already know that Constantine was being set up for regular status next season, this episode certainly wasn't subtle in that regard.

I thought he was brilliant with Ava and Gary this week and it'll be interesting to see how he works as a regular next season as well.

Sara's trip to the dark side was certainly trippy and she's scary wielding that death totem. Nice to see Nora without Damien this week as well.

Good use of ghosts to haunt Wally, Zari and Nate. Poor Ray as well. Loved the Amaya and Mick friendship here too. Mick with the fire totem makes sense.

I think it's safe to assume Sara and Ava will reunite pretty soon as well, 9/10

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tarotx said:

I still miss Jax. He should been in a Sara episode. I really felt his absence this week

I'm still bitter about this... His little bro dynamic with Sara was awesome(even if underdeveloped) .. I think they may try and recreate it with Zari and wally and to be fair I don't mind.. But I'd prefer jax back (not replacing wally buy in addition to)  as apparently some ppl think having "one" is  enough

• Love 3

ItCouldBeWorse: I watched the first ep of Constantine last night.  I almost turned if off before the 10 minute mark.  I think the problem is that I don't like Constantine's actor.  I made it through the first ep, though, and will try some more.  Also watched Max Headroom last night for the first time.  Now if Matt Frewer wants to join the Waverider, especially with an Australian accent ....

• Love 2

I tried watching Constantine 3 times and couldn't get past the second episode. I like the actor and I like the small doses of Constantine we've had on the Arrowverse. I just don't think he will fit full time. I wouldn't mind him popping up now and again when they need magic or someone of his skills. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

I'm still bitter about this... His little bro dynamic with Sara was awesome(even if underdeveloped) .. I think they may try and recreate it with Zari and wally and to be fair I don't mind.. But I'd prefer jax back (not replacing wally buy in addition to)  as apparently some ppl think having "one" is  enough

I miss that friendship too. I'm not sure if Zari/Wally will remain friendly or turn into something more...If the Steel effect is too expensive, dump him in 1942 and bring back Jax with a less expensive power. And not sticking to things! Sadly, getting rid of Nate means getting rid of Amaya...and I love Amaya. She looked amazing this episode. Whenever she talks, my whole body relaxes. No wonder she has such a calming influence on Mick.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, CloudySky said:

I miss that friendship too. I'm not sure if Zari/Wally will remain friendly or turn into something more...If the Steel effect is too expensive, dump him in 1942 and bring back Jax with a less expensive power. And not sticking to things! Sadly, getting rid of Nate means getting rid of Amaya...and I love Amaya. She looked amazing this episode. Whenever she talks, my whole body relaxes. No wonder she has such a calming influence on Mick.

Yeah I'm with ha.. No Nate probably means no amaya and she's such a calming adult influence on the team and the show.. But if they found a way to dump Nate and  keep amaya plus bring back jqx I'm all for it... Agree wally and zari could be a thing.. Its just arrowverse hasn't ever really done much with the relationships of its young brothas... Jax had the one girl from the 50s or whatever.. Wally had Jessie for a lil bitb but not that long.. Curtis husband Paul popped up like 3 or 4 times.. You could say diggle bit lyla shows up not too often.. So I'm just going with history and guessing they keep it pg.. I'm good either way.. I just want a big sis lil bro vibe... 

Considering what I read about the finale, they probably needed to save their budget for that. I'm okay with it I don't need to see super powers all the time and I remember Nate's powers being kind flimsy anyway. He's had issues steeling up in the past. Or course they could've explained it by saying MalluSara made a power weaking thing for the entire ship. 

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Mick ought to feel a bit guilty that he wasn't where he was supposed to be, in the lab with Ray, when Ray was attacked.  But I guess Sara would have just knocked him out or killed him then.

Oh, I think Mick felt guilty. When Amaya and Zari were seeing to Ray in the med bay, Mick muttered something to himself like, "I take one lousy nap...." He knew it was his fault, and he actually admitted it out loud. This time he couldn't tell himself it was because Haircut's too trusting anyway, or has lousy people-reading skills, or Sara's Death Wish persona, or anything external - he lost his patience, left Ray alone in the lab, and took a nap. And Ray got hurt. Because he took a nap. Never mind that it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference if he'd been there as Sara would have damaged them both. I think that sentence to himself shows that in his own mind he knows he should have been there to protect Ray.

And he was extra surly and mean with everyone, because that's his default mode when he's emotional and can't handle it. He stayed that way right up until Amaya urged him to take the fire totem - to which his response was that he wasn't good enough to take the totem, that if a totem can corrupt Sara it'll take him. I think his frame of mind was affected by his guilt, because instead of being a good teammate he took a nap. And Ray got hurt.

And remember: it wasn't that long ago Haircut himself told him he was a good man, and believed it so much that he put his own life on the line to try and rescue another person he thought could be redeemed. Because he believed in Mick's true nature that much. That same guy asked Mick to keep him company in the lab...and Mick left him. To take a nap. And Ray got hurt.

And speaking of that: Mick initially didn't want to go on the Russian mission. Where he'd have to rescue a dog. An animal - and this shortly after losing his pet last week. Another innocent creature under his watch, gone. He's still hurting over that. And you can bet your ass Ray knew it. That's why he jumped in to say that he could use Mick and for Mick to stay with him. He didn't need Mick! He was dealing with a toaster oven and a bauble! There was nothing physical he needed Mick's brawn for, and the suggestion Ray Palmer would have needed him for science reasons is laughable. Nope: Ray was looking out for his Buddy and protecting his heart when that buddy couldn't express his emotional needs for himself.

And in return, what does he do? Leave Ray alone in the lab because he can't stand Ray's sciencing at him. To take a nap. And Ray got hurt.

You can bet your friggin' ass Mick feels guilty as hell.

• Love 4

Sakura, I am on the seventh episode of constantine. The first three eps are pretty much garbage. 4 5 and 6 are really good. If you can stand the first three you and I might like it. Or at least not loathe the series.  Stand by my statement that Matt Ryan is a terrible actor, though.

HopeWally and zari do not become a thing. he seems like a kid.

Now this was a return to form. Much better than the Elvis episode

• I gotta admit, the Death Totem is pretty badass. I truly think without Mallus's interference, Sara could totally wield it properly.
  • Constantine/Gary. I ship it. Enough said. 
  • Someone else mentioned this, but yes I totally agree - I LOVE that Amaya sort of takes lead when Sara isn't around and they're in a tight situation. Further more, I really think Amaya's become such a vital part of the Legends. It's gonna hurt when she has to leave eventually, but there's only so much more longer that the writers can handwave her leaving 1942, and how that might f- over the timeline. With Constantine joining the main cast next season, I hope this means we aren't losing Amaya (our current mystic-character), but I'm preparing myself for anything.
  • Wally, once again, was a lot of fun. His phasing hand thingy to open the door was impressive. I just wish he'd been given an actual focus episode rather than just kinda thrown in there. Would of helped us understand more of these feelings he divulged to the fake!Jessie.
  • I have to say, I liked Avalance in this episode. I've slowly been warming up to the couple, and I actually like that they had them break up so that Sara can take time to evaluate herself. This is definitely not the end of them, of course.
  • Also, nice use of Zari's powers during her fight with Sara. More of that, please.
On 3/19/2018 at 9:28 PM, UNOSEZ said:

I do kinda feel a way abt all these white folk getting totems.. As it stands only kuasa and maybe zari ( never really been stated exactly where she's from so she could be north African)  have any kind of ancestral tie to Zambesi... Not a huge deal but the optics aren't wonderful 

I didn't think about that before, but you're right - it is kind of questionable

Edited by teenj12
On 3/20/2018 at 9:56 PM, starri said:

This may be me looking for something that the writers didn't intend, but it jumped out to me that when Wally was talking to Mallus-Jessie about falling in love again, he used gender-neutral pronouns.

I noticed this too.  It would be a little odd to have half the main cast be bisexual. I wonder if the actor has pushed to make Wally bisexual. 

17 hours ago, Goldmoon said:

Stand by my statement that Matt Ryan is a terrible actor, though.

I haven't seen him in any role aside from that of John Constantine.  That said, the second he appeared onscreen in his series my gut reaction was "Yep, that's John Constantine."  It was a bit like when Heath Ledger played The Joker in The Dark Knight - just the perfect actor for the role.

• Love 2
On 3/19/2018 at 8:03 PM, scarynikki12 said:

NO, magic does NOT always have a price. Leave that Charmed bs out of this. 

As I recall, that was a general theme of the Constantine TV series and of his comic book appearances.  Magic is power and power corrupts.  That has always been a common idea in depictions of magic, pre-dating Charmed.  It's basically the First Law of Thermodynamics.

• Love 1