Type keyword(s) to search

The Last O.G. - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I hope that ex-husband doesn't get Tray sent back to prison. 

I can't believe we're at the season finale already! It's like I've been stuck in the house for the last 10 weeks or something. 

Edited by Superclam
39 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I guess they really did get rid of Shay and the family? I somehow didn't realize that was the point of giving her the new job out of town.

I figured they did that to accomdate Haddish's schedule. I don't think they are gone for good, just recurring characters.

• Love 1

What I found most unrealistic about this episode was how quickly Mike accepted Tray's advice and presence. Even if he is mad at his dad for cheating and leaving, most teenage boys aren't exactly eager to get unsolicited advice from their mom's new boyfriend.

I did like that they were able to get some of the guys from the halfway house into the episode. It's always fun to see them (but I understand why they had Tray move out).

• Love 4

I'm going to watch the season finale, and then I'll have to consider if I'm going to watch next season when it comes out. (Probably at least a year off.) 

I agree that it's lost something this season, and seems to be floundering, looking for direction. Shay, Josh, and Bobby were important to the show, IMO, and the show has lost something without them. I really don't like the mother's boyfriend. 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Season Finale.

If it gets picked up for another season, the police guy was probably hiding in Tray's apartment.

Nah. he hired guys to rough Trey up.  He can't get his hands dirty.  I wonder if TBS will be eager to pursue this abusive cop story.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Season Finale.

If it gets picked up for another season, the police guy was probably hiding in Tray's apartment.

Nah. he hired guys to rough Tray up.  He can't get his hands dirty.  I wonder if TBS will be eager to pursue this abusive cop story.

I figured they were Divine's men looking for Bobby and when the cop killed one, the cop needs Trey for an alibi. Now the cop and Divine are beefing all next season and they end up killing each other leaving Trey free to date his miracle girlfriend.

The structure of this season was really weird. For the first 8 episodes, very little happened, to the point where I couldn't tell if there was going to be any kind of an "arc" to the season at all. Then suddenly in the ninth episode they introduce this new love interest for Tracy's character. And then they end the season on a cliffhanger, presuming they're going to be picked up for another season (which as far as I know hasn't happened yet). 

• Love 2
On 6/3/2020 at 11:23 PM, possibilities said:

I guess they really did get rid of Shay and the family? I somehow didn't realize that was the point of giving her the new job out of town.

I didn't think so either, especially since they moved to Jersey. Like, you can commute from Jersey to NYC - thousands of people do it literally every day. If they were going to get rid of them for good, they could have moved the family to Chicago or LA or  something.

9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I didn't think so either, especially since they moved to Jersey. Like, you can commute from Jersey to NYC - thousands of people do it literally every day. If they were going to get rid of them for good, they could have moved the family to Chicago or LA or  something.

But then Trey couldn't have pretended to be "Superdad", you saw how emotional he got when they would be 20 minutes away, he would have never let them move across the country. He would have fell on the floor and just died right there.

• LOL 1

This show has had four different showrunners in as many seasons. Not sure if that's intentional on their part to mix things up, or what. I will say that the slow, meandering quality of the last season was not great. This new showrunner was a writer for "Black-ish" and the Larry Wilmore show on Comedy Central, so we'll see. 

‘The Last O.G.’: ‘The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air’s Janet Hubert To Recur On TBS Comedy

download-1.png?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Janet Hubert, Aunt Viv from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air will join The Last O.G. as Miss May Miller. One of Roberta’s (Anna Maria Horsford) oldest and dearest friends and weekly bid whist partner. As Brooklyn teens they were rivals. However, in their later years they settled into a strong friendship as part of a weekly card playing foursome who weigh in on the comings and goings of Tray Barker’s (Morgan) struggle to bring positive change to his community after doing fifteen years in prison for selling crack.

The article mentions Tiffany Haddish, but I don't think she is currently associated with the show.

• Useful 1
On 6/5/2020 at 9:34 AM, Superclam said:

I agree that it's lost something this season, and seems to be floundering, looking for direction. Shay, Josh, and Bobby were important to the show, IMO, and the show has lost something without them. I really don't like the mother's boyfriend. 

I'm quoting myself to say that I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. I'm glad to see Josh & the kids back, and the mother's boyfriend is gone! Very glad to see Tray left those boring people from that apartment building, and we even got a few minutes with his old friends from the halfway house. 

Very happy with the first two episodes! More drama than comedy, but I enjoyed the mix and think all the changes are for the better, especially the return of Josh and the kids. That makes me so happy! I found the scenes of Tray's rehab really affecting, knowing that Tracy Morgan must have gone thru something very much like that after his accident.

I'm as unreligious as they come and I found Tray's testimony at church very affecting. Contrasting that with his still having contacts to his old life was a reminder of how complicated life really is, something his girlfriend just couldn't understand. Tray did what he had to do, no matter how much it hurt to lose her. If he had done as she asked, he'd be killed or worse, his kids would be in danger. She wasn't worth that.

Interesting that they've added a character impervious to Tray's charm. 

So, to sum up, it feels like after last season, which felt unfocused and 2nd rate, this show is back on track!

Edited by Gummo
  • Love 2

I just don't like Tracy Morgan enough to enjoy a show that's basically all about his character being some kind of culinary genius and heart of gold lover of humanity, who just can't catch a break.

And women who don't like him are clearly just irrational bitches who will be won over when they see how genius/heart of gold he is. Even his mother, who loves him, is an irrational bitch played for a joke. Rah rah toxic masculinity in happless dude clothing.

Also, his kids are on a totally separate show than he is, apparently. And their dad has nothing to do but sit around re-living a carefree 2nd teenhood.

Blech.

This season is so much better than last season!  The reworking of the cast removing the kids and Josh just didn’t work at all. It was like a totally different show. I k like that they’re going a little more serious this season while still keeping the humor. I find Tracy Morgan very endearing. 

Are they going to recast Shay or are they hoping Tiffany will be back next season?  Does anyone know why she isn’t on this season?  They keep mentioning her so I don’t think they’re writing her out. 

• Love 2

I fully agree that this season was better than the last. I like the community center plot, I hope they find a way for Trey to go back to it. 

I think Tiffany Haddish's star just got to bright for this little show (meaning they probably couldn't afford her anymore.) I don't see them replacing her, but maybe a new romance for Josh? At this point he's just a comic foil/straight man for Trey.