Type keyword(s) to search

The Last O.G. - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like the show much more this season than last. I don't even know why.

The guys at the halfway house are a lot of fun in those scenes where they're all together talking, and I love the relationship between Trey and Josh. I do think Shay is being marginalized a little bit, and actually given less dimension than she had before, which bothers me and is also a waste because Haddish is terrific when she's given anything to do.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh I really liked the Mother's Day episode. 

I love the mother's day cards crafting conversation with the ex-cons.  So funny.  Just the visual was funny.

I liked the preacher trying to mediate between Trey ans his mom.  He was laughably bad.  "Oh another daddy?  didn't see that one coming."

I liked how the whole thing with Josh panned out.  The intercut scenes of what Trey told him to say vs. what he actually said.  LOL.  But I really liked how they didn't make it some big marriage issue but t was really was about how well  Josh knew his wife and what was best for the kids.

I am one of those who thinks this season is better than last.  I like how the show is evolving.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:39 PM, possibilities said:

The guys at the halfway house are a lot of fun in those scenes where they're all together talking, and I love the relationship between Trey and Josh. I do think Shay is being marginalized a little bit, and actually given less dimension than she had before, which bothers me and is also a waste because Haddish is terrific when she's given anything to do. 

I agree with a lot of this.  I don;t necessarily think Shay is being marginalize as much as I think they are broadening Tray's world a bit and we are seeing more of the inner workings of her relationship with Josh. 

But I do think Haddish is so good in this that I would love to see her more.  I will say I am really enjoying her  new friendship with Faith.  I am glad they are giving her a friend.  She needed someone outside of Josh and Tray and I think Faith and the few times we saw her in her workplace helped to round her out a bit.

On a technical note:  Ever since Queen Sugar, I have been paying a lot of attention to how black & darker skinned folks are lit on tv and they do a great job of it in this show. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4

S2.E9: Your Mom's in My Business

When faced with unforeseen unemployment, Shay decides it's finally time to launch her own fashion line; with her money tied up in the food truck, she gets carried away micro-managing the business in an attempt to turn a quicker profit.

Original air date: 5/28/19

(edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I actually thought that Shay would meddle a lot more with the food truck so I'm glad that the little she did to change things weren't catastrophic. I like seeing Josh and Tray work together on the truck!

The way this show handles conflict is refreshing. People argue but also listen, and usually one or the other comes around. Shay's marketing advice vs. Trey's vision was a good example. They both learned something.

Not as invested in the (not) baby daddy story. That felt cliched, and honestly, I don't know why anyone believed her without asking first some hard questions.

And I still love how Josh both fits in, and is allowed to fit in. Maybe it's because of the constant arguing IRL, but the way this show depicts people of different backgrounds and races connecting makes me want to live there.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3

Man... I thought for a hot minute that maybe the baby was Bobby's and maybe Shay might be wrong about Lisa.  But no dice.  Lisa is even more trifling than ever.  Poor Bobby.  His walk off, trash toss after Josh spilled the beans was sad-funny.

Big props to the wardrobe dept. for Shay's clothes.  I LOVED that red jumpsuit she was wearing.   I think I girl sobbed out loud at the ruination of if during the food fight.

Shay's marketing ideas were great, but so wrong or Trey's vision and mission.  And I loved all the dubious glances the guys were exchanging with each other even as they jumped to do her bidding.  Heck, even Green Eyes seemed afraid of Shay.

When Shay showed Josh her designs I was like... uh, the 80s called and want their TLC designs back.  So when Josh said the line about the Bell, Biv, Devoe reunion, I about died.  LOL.

Trey's observation about him, his ex, her white husband and their co-parenting their kids encapsulates my favorite thing about the show.  I super enjoy the dynamic of Trey, Shay and Josh.  But I also like his ex-criminal roommates too.  Their appearances are just right.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Trey's observation about him, his ex, her white husband and their co-parenting their kids encapsulates my favorite thing about the show.  I super enjoy the dynamic of Trey, Shay and Josh. 

Me too! It would have been so easy to turn Josh into an even doofier Phil Dunphy for quick cheap laughs, but while he's laid back, he's no pushover (he would never have lasted with Shay if he was!). And I like that Tray understands that Josh is the only dad his kids have ever known and that Josh and Shay have done a damn good job so it's Tray's job to fit in and find his place in this family, not just turn up and demand a seat at the head of the table because sperm.

I love that we're getting to watch Bobby go thru the growing-up journey that Tray had to go to prison to learn. So much of Bobby's bluster and inappropriate behavior is to hide a really sensitive soul. Also glad the Lisa/baby story wasn't dragged out and that Bobby got out in time, even if he was heartbroken.

• Love 4

I felt bad for Bobby too because he was clearly so excited. I'm glad that he is still going forward with his career goals instead of just throwing them away because he found out that Lisa lied to him. I have known guys like Bobby who just kind of treaded water and fucked around with no real purpose until some circumstance kicked them in the ass. I like that Bobby is getting his life together in his own way, not just tagging along on Tray's food truck path.

And I love that for all Tray's bravado, he has been very respectful of Shay and Josh being the twins' parents and mostly has stayed out of that arena. Yes, he is their father, but he wisely realizes that barging in and making all kinds of demands is not the right thing to do. Josh has been their dad for their whole lives and Tray just popped up a few months ago, so it would be really intrusive for him to try to take over that role. i like that he's just getting to know them and is content to spend some time with them rather than expecting to instantly become their father figure.

• Love 3

I really thought all the construction workers and the rich guy were going to climb into Trey's food truck, start wrecking the place, and then it would blow up.

Well Trey is back to square one, and he took Shay and Josh with him. Maybe the insurance will pay or maybe not.

I would never have guessed that Josh had all those tattoos.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, DearEvette said:

I will say I am really enjoying her  new friendship with Faith.  I am glad they are giving her a friend. 

There was a scene where Faith got mad at a woman who blocked their way on the sidewalk and then she and Shay talked about Bobby and Shay said "You gon' apologize to that lady, right?" and Faith was like "Yeah, can you come with me?" and they kind of talked over each other, and it was just a really funny moment. I like their friendship too.

I haven't seen all of the Do the Right Thing episode yet (I watched some this morning before work) but I FELL OUT at Cedric saying "And those seals you see on TV? [beat] They look delicious." Real, full-on belly laugh. It was the timing.

I really thought all the construction workers and the rich guy were going to climb into Trey's food truck, start wrecking the place, and then it would blow up.

This would have been a great way to end the season. A world famous billionaire New York real estate developer who likes to bully people gets into a petty arguments has  actual bad consequences for his actions. Next season could have started out with Trey's face all over the news and newspapers explaining what happened. I am sure Trey could have said whatever he wanted and the street fair people would have backed him up. Trey could have said the billionaire wanted to start a bunch of restaurants with the billionaire's name on them using Trey's recipes or something like the billionaire wanted to buy Trey's business, but Trey said no, and billionaire and his goons decided to trash the place.

I know Bobby's family and all, but damn, Tray, he's gonna ruin you yet.

But I saw what they were going for at the end when Tray's temper was about to send him back to jail for who knows how long and it wasn't just Shay but his memory of ignoring Shay's wise advice 15 years before that made him realize what was important. So it wasn't just Shay Is Always Right but that Tray has learned to listen, and has been forced to learn self-control.

I hope they bring back the cop who got fired for preventing Green Eyes from almost getting killed. There aren't enough people who'd knowingly destroy their own careers to save a man's life; sadly, that was the most unrealistic moment the show has given us yet, but it was a moment of hope and faith in humanity, so fuck you, realism, I'll take idealism any day.

• Love 3

BTW, the millionaire actor was the guy who played Carla's ex husband on Cheers, yes? If not that is a damn close double. I was pondering who that was and suddenly in my head heard that billionaire say, "C-c-carla!"

21 minutes ago, Ottis said:

BTW, the millionaire actor was the guy who played Carla's ex husband on Cheers, yes? If not that is a damn close double. I was pondering who that was and suddenly in my head heard that billionaire say, "C-c-carla!"

Yes, it was Dan Hedaya, who played Nick on Cheers.

• Love 1

‘The Last O.G.’: Chelsea Frei To Recur On TBS’ Tracy Morgan-Tiffany Haddish Comedy

Chelsea Frei is set for a recurring role on the upcoming third season of TBS comedy series The Last O.G. Frei will play Luna, a millennial Brooklynite who is politically correct to a fault. She is self-righteous and rife with contradictions; She’s a hippie, anti-consumerist who loves shopping and an ardent feminist who unironically loves The Bachelorette.

Stolen from Tracy Morgan’s ‘The Last O.G.’ Returns to TBS in April

The TBS comedy “The Last O.G.” is coming back for a third season in April. The network announced this week that the sitcom will return on April 7th, and there’s even a quick teaser to watch for the new episodes. The show stars Tracy Morgan and Tiffany Haddish and was co-created by Academy Award winner Jordan Peele. Ryan Gaul, Allen Maldonado, Taylor Mosby, Dante Hoagland, Bresha Webb, Anna Maria Horsford, Derek Gaines, and Joel Marsh Garland will all return to their roles for the new season.

The Season 3 description reads, “After serving his time at the halfway house and having his food truck go up in flames, season three finds Tray (Morgan) forced into finding a new place to live, and new forms of income. He lands in gentrified Brooklyn with a host of colorful, hipster neighbors, where he begins to give “hood legend” walking tours of the city that is forever changing around him. Meanwhile, Tray’s ex-girlfriend Shay (Haddish) is presented with the business opportunity of a lifetime, which could mean big changes for the whole family.”

TBS also confirmed a few of the guest stars that will be appearing in the new episodes. The names include Mike Tyson, Katt Williams, J.B. Smoove, Sasheer Zamata, Marla Gibbs, John Amos, Zach Cherry, Chelsea Frei, Lord Jamar, Clifton Powell, Roy Wood Jr., H. Michael Croner, and Andrew Richardson. You can also look for appearances by Karrueche Tran and Chris Bosh.

A sneak peek of the premiere episode will air on March 28th, following the Elite Eight game on TBS and April 4th following the Final Four game on TBS and TNT.

The Last O.G. is executive produced by Tracy Morgan, Jordan Peele, Eric Tannenbaum, Kim Tannenbaum, Joel Zadak, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Carl Jones, and Steve Ast. Co-executive producers include Jason Wang and Win Rosenfeld.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

S3.E1: Lookin at the Front Door

After six months of crashing at his mom's house, Tray leaves the nest in search of a place of his own, but he must first get some sage advice from a wise OG on how to battle the demons of his past.

Original air date: 4/7/20

S03.E03: Ballin'

Tray takes Shahzad to his first basketball game and teaches him how to finesse his way to courtside seats; Josh feels insecure about his relationship with Shahzad and worries that he's not the cool dad anymore.

Original air date: 4/20/20

I felt for Josh. It's always hard when your kids get to the age where they no longer think you're cool, but feeling like his kid would rather hang out with someone else makes it even tougher. I was glad that Shay told him that Tray could never replace him.

Watching Tray and Shahzad get deeper and deeper into their lie made me simultaneously cringe and laugh. Tray's increasing requests cracked me up.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2020 at 8:01 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, Tray's family made my Thanksgivings look uneventful!

I absolutely loved this episode. Reminded me of my Brooklyn family! I liked that everybody ended up having fun, including the twins, and the cameos were great.

• Love 1

I had mixed feelings about this week's episode. On the one hand, families move all the time because of a parents' job so it's not the end of the world. People manage to survive starting over at a new school. But when Shay said they were moving to New Jersey, I thought uh, why can't Shay just drive to NJ for work instead of uprooting everyone's lives? It's not like the business and factory are headquartered 1000 miles away.

I'm tired of the Mike Tyson appearances. He's a convicted rapist and an admitted wife beater. I don't need to see him on my tv as an attempt at comedy. Literally anyone else could play the role he has.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I had mixed feelings about this week's episode. On the one hand, families move all the time because of a parents' job so it's not the end of the world. People manage to survive starting over at a new school. But when Shay said they were moving to New Jersey, I thought uh, why can't Shay just drive to NJ for work instead of uprooting everyone's lives? It's not like the business and factory are headquartered 1000 miles away.

And what about Josh's job? And doesn't Shahzad have a girlfriend? And who starts packing when the movers are coming in an hour?  It was crazy how Shay was going from bedroom to bedroom, trying to get everyone to pack, while not packing much herself.

On the other hand, If Josh plans to work full time on his script, he might as well be living in NJ, I guess.

• Love 2
(edited)

S3.E7: In Da Club

When Tray's relationship advice to Paul fails, Tray and company decide to take him out to the club so he can let loose and find himself.

Original air date: 5/19/20

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

It was fun seeing everyone at the club, but Paul should not feel bad that he missed his kid's first steps. That can happen at any moment and there's no way of knowing when it will be. You could be at work, in the bathroom, picking up groceries, etc. You can't live your life by never leaving your child's side just in case you might miss something. 

I could not believe that Tray's corny pickup lines worked!

• Love 2

Oh geez, I hope they don't turn Tray into "the Magic Negro" whose role in life is solving all the uptight white folks' problems. 

You're better than that, show!

• Love 3