Type keyword(s) to search

The Last O.G. - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

So the week after Tray slings again, and his daughter catches him and records it, her decision is to ... not tell anyone, and ignore his calls? There is no other fall out? Meanwhile, the show reveals Josh was once a drug user, I guess to make it more OK that Tray sells (but doesn't use) drugs? And THEN, after showing signs of intelligence in avoiding Bobby and the drug scene, Tray forgives Bobby for a deli tray? And Shay thinks Josh is cheating and goes ballistic, yet she knew of his past drug use, he hasn't cheated before and she doesn't even ask him what's going on?

I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that all of these characters are idiots.  Which is OK, there are lots of TV shows where the characters are idiots. I just had higher hopes for this one, because it started out being funny AND being about something (the return of a thoughtful felon to a neighborhood and society that had changed, and his attempts to be part of it again). It's not nearly as interesting if it's about ridiculous behavior and easy laughs. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Ottis said:

So the week after Tray slings again, and his daughter catches him and records it, her decision is to ... not tell anyone, and ignore his calls? There is no other fall out? Meanwhile, the show reveals Josh was once a drug user, I guess to make it more OK that Tray sells (but doesn't use) drugs? And THEN, after showing signs of intelligence in avoiding Bobby and the drug scene, Tray forgives Bobby for a deli tray? And Shay thinks Josh is cheating and goes ballistic, yet she knew of his past drug use, he hasn't cheated before and she doesn't even ask him what's going on?

I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that all of these characters are idiots.  Which is OK, there are lots of TV shows where the characters are idiots. I just had higher hopes for this one, because it started out being funny AND being about something (the return of a thoughtful felon to a neighborhood and society that had changed, and his attempts to be part of it again). It's not nearly as interesting if it's about ridiculous behavior and easy laughs. 

i was going to  post the same thing. why is his daughter not saying anything ? didn't like the twist where josh was a herion addict. shay doesn't know he's a drug counselor and visits clients?  i had higher hopes too. the last 2 shows were bad. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 7:54 AM, msrachelj said:

i was going to  post the same thing. why is his daughter not saying anything ? didn't like the twist where josh was a herion addict. shay doesn't know he's a drug counselor and visits clients?  i had higher hopes too. the last 2 shows were bad. 

He's not a counselor with clients. He's a sponsor, which means he's a volunteer. He likely has a sponsor, too, in case he feels the urge to relapse. It's odd that Shay doesn't know he's a sponsor, though.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

I hope this is the last we will see of Tracy Morgan in those fake cornrows. Everyone fit in their 2002 roles except Tracey. No amount of makeup or hair could make him look younger than the 50 year old that he is. Tray was supposed to be in the prime of his life in 2002 and yet he looked more like the over-the-hill "OG" trying to keep up with the young'ns then than 2018 Tray.

The actress who played Shay's mom was perfect at being a crackhead.I miss the old days when it was cool just to have a cell phone period. We aren't evolved enough as a species to have access to all this social media LOL.

• Love 1
(edited)

This show definitely needs to stick to the present-day. Particularly because when they do the flashbacks, the tone seems to shift more into drama and it doesn't work, especially with Tracy Morgan looking like that! I feel like the show started off so well and the last handful of episodes have just felt like they already lost steam. (Although Shay's mom last night was HILARIOUS.)

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/30/2018 at 3:19 PM, gesundheit said:

This show definitely needs to stick to the present-day. Particularly because when they do the flashbacks, the tone seems to shift more into drama and it doesn't work, especially with Tracy Morgan looking like that! I feel like the show started off so well and the last handful of episodes have just felt like they already lost steam. (Although Shay's mom last night was HILARIOUS.)

Tracy's looks aside, I liked last night's episode.  It filled in lots of gaps, and there were some funny parts, too.  I like Tracy's commentaries at the end: Tray Barker wasn't bad;  he was just 180 degrees from being good!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
(edited)

Thank god Tray didn’t shoot Wavy. That would have been truly stupid for the show. 

Even more stupid than Tray selling drugs again, which didn’t tie to anything in the end so what was the point?

That last episode was very good, and is more what this show should be about. If they can keep that tone I’m in for season 2. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/6/2018 at 9:36 PM, Ottis said:

Thank god Tray didn’t shoot Wavy. Thy would have been truly stupid for the show. 

And all his dopey halfway house co-conspirators would have been sent back to jail, too.  And possubly Bobby if the gun was traced back to him. Tray really wan't thinking about anyone else. Except for the end with Bobby, when he didn't damage his memory of his brother.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5

Finally got around to catching the last couple of episodes.  I'll agree with the posters who said it was moronic betrayal of the entire premise of the show to suddenly have Tray selling drugs, even if it was for a good cause and even if it was fairly amusing that they were making a mess of using the terrible Kevin Costner Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves as a guide.  We're supposed to buy that the guy we've been watching for a half dozen episodes at that point choking down some serious aggravation with the changing world and his place in it because he's determined to do better for himself and the kids who have just began to really accept him in their lives is going to risk throwing all that away?  Even worse, there was no followup on his daughter finding out and then the entire story was dropped to rush headlong into whether Wavy set him up and was he going to kill him, which also would have been stupidly out of character along with making accomplices of every single one of the halfway house crew and likely Bobby too. 

But the entire back half of the season felt like they didn't have quite enough material to work with and started just throwing things out there.  So the epitome of gentrified white guys is a former heroin addict and oh, he's also a secret NA sponsor but forgot to mention it to his wife?  The whole subplot seemed designed to give Tiffany Haddish some meaty material to work with.  Still, there's something about Josh and Tray being able to appreciate each other that's compelling.

• Love 3

Tracy Morgan will be releasing The Last OG Cookbook in April 2019

Featuring “80 Soulful Recipes With Street Credit,” the book includes an introduction written by Morgan with a focus on community and love.

“This project is really special to me,” Morgan said in a statement. “I can throw down in the kitchen, so I’m excited to put these recipes in a book packed with soul and bold in-your-face flavors. The most important ingredient is love. I want this book to not only inspire mad culinary skills, but give back to the Brooklyn community where I grew up.”

In addition to the soulful recipes of The Last O.G. Cookbook — covering everything from wacky originals like Dessert Loaf and Chopped Cheese Dip to reinterpreted African-American classics such as Tray’s To Die Dreaming Fried Chicken and Waffles and Shay’s Repast Spaghetti — brief sections of the book will focus on pressing social issues including mass incarceration, food deserts, and re-entry challenges.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I am guessing they are going to send Trey on the straight and narrow this season, since he was really disappointing by selling drugs last season. He will start his own business and no longer have to conform to the rules of a chain coffee shop. The first episode showed a good range of emotion from the actors and suggests that the content will have a lighter subject matter than last season. Getting it's humor from "keeping it 100" in situations where it is more appropriate to be more reserved, like when Shay was telling the clothing store customer about her crackhead mother and her boyfriend that sells crack.

I wonder how much Cedric the Entertainer is going to be in the show since he has his own show, I guess it depends on how long ago they taped the episodes. Tiffany Haddish has also become a pretty big deal since the show started airing, I am surprised she didn't try to get out of her contract to do higher profile/profit work.

I think that everybody wants Tracy Morgan to finish his comeback from the grave. It would be some bad juju to come with a I had a breakout movie role and now I don't need you attitude.

Too much drama and not enough comedy again for me in the premiere -- but from the previews for the rest of that season, it looks like that was just a grounding point and we're going to get more humor from here on out. I hope so!

S2.E2: Git Up, Git Out & Git Something

Tray finds part-time work in the cafeteria of the kids' school and finds himself more determined than ever to make it as a chef. Shay straightens Josh out after he tells her that sometimes she "goes off" and scares white people.

Original air date: 4/9/19

Too bad Tray didn't keep his job at the school cafeteria, it would have been a great way to realistically create a pathway to a successful food truck. Tray could have used the school's kitchen, utensils, and later the kitchen staff to create the food he would sell in the truck after work. As the truck becomes more successful some of the members of the Halfway house could sell the food while Tray used the school's kitchen to keep the truck stocked. Some type of school bake sale might have introduced Tray's creations to the rich parents that go to the school. This might have bypassed the food truck's lack of expensive kitchen equipment and provided a feasible way for Tray to get financial backing and expand his business.

• Love 2

It also would have been amusing to see him interacting with the kids and the staff at the school. I suppose they could make that happen by having him park the truck outside, but still-- it's hard to handwave the halfway house director having the funds to pay for everything to set up the business.

I agree that it would have been a good idea to have him keep working in the school cafeteria and testing his recipes on the kids. I guess his business plan must have been REALLY impressive for someone to just hand over the money to buy a truck. He could have ended up catering a school event and then garnered interest from some of the rich parents who would then become investors.

I remember that one of the things that the showrunners for My So-Called Life said was that the cafeteria scene they shot in the pilot was a huge pain in the ass because they had to hire so many kids to play students (which is why they never did it again in any of the rest of the episodes) so I'm guessing that might be one of the reasons they didn't want Tray working in the cafeteria too long.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree that it would have been a good idea to have him keep working in the school cafeteria and testing his recipes on the kids. I guess his business plan must have been REALLY impressive for someone to just hand over the money to buy a truck. He could have ended up catering a school event and then garnered interest from some of the rich parents who would then become investors.

I remember that one of the things that the showrunners for My So-Called Life said was that the cafeteria scene they shot in the pilot was a huge pain in the ass because they had to hire so many kids to play students (which is why they never did it again in any of the rest of the episodes) so I'm guessing that might be one of the reasons they didn't want Tray working in the cafeteria too long.

It wasn't just any ole someone but another regular character who was said to have peaked in running the halfway house earlier in the episode. I would be suprised if there is a struggle for control from his silent partner in a later episode.

Liking this season better than last season. The show mostly avoids the obvious plot social issue twist, which I like. It really portrays everyone as just people doing their jobs, or trying their best, or understanding that what they are doing is wrong and they may be penalized for it. It's not knee-jerk reaction to other issues.

For instance, I was sure that *removing the OWL to their halfway house* (damn!) was going to lead to cops vs. black people trouble. I mean, I'm white and I would never have removed her from the general location I found her.  Also, I thought the bank loan visit would do the same, with Trey being turned down because of color (when he clearly is passionate but doesn't know how the game is played). Instead, we meet another entrepreneur (Hispanic maybe?) who has had multiple loans and is successful.

I struggled with Shay going so far as to "steal" something back. The plot did a good job of setting up how she was drawn into it, but like Trey slinging last season, it didn't seem right. I did enjoy that she identified and praised the decorating style.

Josh is amazingly patient and understanding. But part of the reason he seems that way is that the show portrays Tray, and Shay, and really everyone else as essentially good people who sometimes have bad ideas. We've all been there.

Edited by Ottis
16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The whole ongoing sofa vs couch debate cracked me up!

I sincerely had no idea there was any difference. And I thought I was at least passingly familiar with furniture jargon.

I really liked this episode. It kept surprising me, when I thought for sure I saw what was coming. Kudos, writers!

I'm in my 50s, but I love the idea that someday I will achieve OWL status! I just like the idea of an animal moniker.

Edited by possibilities

I liked that we are getting more shades and sides to the characters. Tray obviously loves Bobby, but Bobby seriously fucked up at that meeting and Tray can't have that if he's going to get his food truck up and running.

I was afraid that Faith showed up at Shay's work just to throw bombs left and right, but it's nice to see them becoming friends. I just worry that if anything goes wrong in their friendship, Faith always has that "you broke into my house" trump card to play.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was afraid that Faith showed up at Shay's work just to throw bombs left and right, but it's nice to see them becoming friends. I just worry that if anything goes wrong in their friendship, Faith always has that "you broke into my house" trump card to play.

I was worried the whole episode (and future episodes) was going to be like this, because I find that kind of thing tedious. Hopefully, they'll stay friendly. 

On another note, was Bobby's hair dyed green, or was that my tv or something I drank? 

I haven't seen the whole episode yet (watched part of it this morning before work) but the part where Shay was freaking out about the dick pic on the couch with Josh had me cracking up. "Okay! Okay! Okay!" Also when the woman popped out from under the dryer all "Who sent who a dick pic?"

(I just discovered the show Tuca and Bertie, in which Tiffany Haddish voices a toucan and Ali Wong plays her best friend, also a bird. It's on Netflix and it's hilarious. Tiffany is in everything.)

• Love 1
(edited)

This was my favorite episode of the season. All of the plot lines were reasonable and fairly realistic, and it featured the characters working together.  I actually laughed quite a bit at the whole dick pic scene at the beauty salon and at the comraderie at the barbershop. I also like the way they picked at Josh but had an actual dialogue vs. accusations or arguments. "You can't make no money playing a flute!" Someone play some Jethro Tull for Tray.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She said she got hungry at least year's Met Gala, so this year she brought her own fried chicken!

I love her. Every time I think I couldn't possiblyu love her more, she does something else that proves I can.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I love her. Every time I think I couldn't possiblyu love her more, she does something else that proves I can.

I was already dying at the fact that she brought her own, but when she opened up the ziploc bag and offered a piece to the reporter I may have cackled.

• LOL 1

Oh man, I just discovered this show and have binged all one 1/2 seasons of it.

It has done for Tracy Morgan what Brooklyn 99 did for Andy Samberg for me, which is it has take a comedian I never had any time for or actively disliked and made me like them.  And Tiffany Haddish is as usual excellent.  I actually like her performance in this, it is nicely restrained and shows that she isn't just a balls out comedienne but actually a really good comic actress.

Season one was good, but Season two has been hands down stellar.  I loved the last two episodes the most with this one being my favorite so far.  The scene in the beauty shop was fun and I loved how Amira was just sooooo mortified.  Also I have such a soft spot for Josh and am enjoying his and Tray's co-parenting antics. 

• Love 4

S2.E7: Criminal Minded

A neighborhood tough named BAMF threatens Josh and levies a "tax" on the food truck. Tray reconnects with another O.G. in an attempt to learn the new code of the street. Bobby has a new girlfriend, but she comes with more baggage than he could've ever anticipated.

Original air date: 5/14/19

Not really liking the directions this season is going. It is a little darker than I like and the show isn't utilizing the Half-way house residents in Trey's food truck scheme. The show has a pretty large cast already, that barely get any screen time. Why keep introducing random new characters who's story lines are more dark than they are funny.