Type keyword(s) to search

The Zoo (Bronx Zoo) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Is the Bronx Zoo the home of the baby snow leopard whose back legs weren't functioning? Does anyone know how he's doing? I hope he got better!

He did!  It's wonderful how well he did.  Not completely normal but you'd have to know he had problems to spot his unusual gait.

• Love 1

The good news from the necropsy done after Schnapps the kudu was put down was that the death was not a result of something that was missed or mishandled. Small consolation for Martini, who misses his companion. 

I finally figured out who Dr Sykes reminds me of: Eric Clapton!

• Love 1
On 9/7/2019 at 1:01 PM, suomi said:

The good news from the necropsy done after Schnapps the kudu was put down was that the death was not a result of something that was missed or mishandled. Small consolation for Martini, who misses his companion. 

I finally figured out who Dr Sykes reminds me of: Eric Clapton!

I wonder if Kudus can bond with new companion Kudus? Or do they have one mate for life? I know some species are monogamous. Maybe Martini can find another Kudu to fill that void. 

• Love 1
On 9/9/2019 at 6:35 PM, meep.meep said:

I thought they were both males.

I thought so as well.

I just have to say that I love all of the Keepers but my favorite is Susan.  She just oozes love for all of the birds, it's so cute.

• Love 4

re: the woman who, a couple days ago, posted videos that show her entering a lion enclosure at our Beloved Bronx Zoo ... here is a comment from someone who read the WaPo article about the incident ...

She may not fear the lion, who clearly exhibited unbelievable patience in not tearing her to shreds. (She does, however, seem to have a terrible fear of clothing that fits.) If she had been attacked they might have had to put the lion down. Can she be put down for endangering the lion?

My question is, which one of us here wrote that comment? LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/10/02/woman-posted-videos-herself-hopping-fence-approach-zoo-lion-police-want-word/

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That food that could have ended up lion lunch, apparently was in the giraffe pen that day too.  Fortunately, for the animals, none of them went after her.      

The puzzled look on the lion's face was priceless.  It was like he was saying, "What the hell are you doing in here, you crazy human?"  He has more sense than she does!  Thankfully we know from watching this show how well fed and cared for these animals are so that hopefully had something to do with her not ending up lion lunch.

I'm beginning to think this woman is part of the recent trend of people doing dangerous things just so they can record then post them online and have it go viral.  Risking their lives and breaking all the rules just for 15 minutes of fame....Another sad new phenomenon of the social media era.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I'm beginning to think this woman is part of the recent trend of people doing dangerous things just so they can record then post them online and have it go viral.  Risking their lives and breaking all the rules just for 15 minutes of fame....Another sad new phenomenon of the social media era.

Not sure if it's so much new craziness or just better publicized, seems like you can find examples of crazy fads down through the ages. People have been doing crazy stuff to get their 15 minutes of fame forever it seems...... though no arguing that social media certainly helps spread the stupidity

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

"Stand your ground" should apply to lions? If you tresspass on a lion's home, the lion should not be punished for eating you. But he probably could smell the stupid and decided she would taste bad.

Rest assured that the trend these days is not to euthanize the animal even if it attacks the selfie taking moron.  Sadly, it looks like a trend.  I've heard of people dying because they fell off a cliff just to get a photo of themselves doing a daredevil stunt for social media.  There were never this many such incidents before social media.

In this article from just this past March, an Arizona zoo decided not to put a jaguar down after a selfie taking woman reached into its enclosure and gets hurt by it.

In this article from just this past April, even a zookeeper that was mauled and killed by a tiger wasn't enough for a zoo to decide to put the animal down.  The animals, some or all of which are endangered are very valuable and not seen as being in the wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I've heard of people dying because they fell off a cliff just to get a photo of themselves doing a daredevil stunt for social media. 

Natural selection.  They are too stupid to live and procreate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 10/4/2019 at 7:06 AM, Kohola3 said:

Natural selection.  They are too stupid to live and procreate.

Yep, the Darwin Awards will never die from lack of contestants as long as those idiots think that they're immune from the consequences of their own stupidity. I always like it when the animal wins. Like this one:

"Focus On The Bear"

https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2018-17.html

and I love happy endings!

"... According to media reports, once the body was retrieved, forest officials treated the bear for its injuries. The dog, although probably still disgusted, was unharmed."

https://darwinawards.com/

• Love 4

New Season of THE ZOO premieres Saturday, April 4 at 9PM ET/PT

Animal Planet’s THE ZOO takes audiences behind the scenes at the world-famous Bronx Zoo for a fourth season to share remarkable stories that shine a light on amazing animals, the expertise of staff, and their unique relationships with the  The series explains the day-to-day activities at the Bronx Zoo and its sister parks as it focuses on the importance of zoos and aquariums to a wide range of global wildlife conservation efforts.

In this all-new season of THE ZOO, zoo staffers will experience many rare moments and "firsts", including the arrival of two adorable Red Panda cubs; the hatching of Roti Island snake-necked turtles, a functionally extinct species; and the arrival of Bala, the fourth cub of the beloved snow leopard, K2. Audiences will see the keepers devise an ingenious toy for an anteater named Velcro, which will keep him enriched while showcasing his extraordinary tongue to the public and perform the first known allergy test on a rhinoceros named Penny after she develops some skin sensitivities.

I'm looking forward to the new season.

Edited by RealityCheck
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Yay, the new season begins tonight and the entire day and evening is filled with  reruns leading up to the premiere (at 10om for me).

That means a lot of Jose, woo hoo!

Enjoyed the serene keeper tending the baby bat, washing it ("No dirty bats") and wrapping it "like a bat burrito" before offering a bottle which was happily accepted.

1 hour ago, suomi said:

Enjoyed the serene keeper tending the baby bat, washing it ("No dirty bats") and wrapping it "like a bat burrito" before offering a bottle which was happily accepted.

I love so many of the keepers there!  I think Susan might be my absolute favorite, she clearly adores the birds.  But so many other great ones as well.

Have been watching marathons of all the zoos the past few days. I like Secret Life of the Zoo the best but am certainly looking forward to the new season. I wonder how many old faces we'll see.

• Love 3

I love the episode with the Pallas cats.        

The Bronx Zoo, and the other locations, are all closed as of March 16 to visitors, but they are using the giant parking lot at the Bronx location for 250 out-of-state ambulances.  

• Useful 1

I just heard that about the ambulances and came here to see if anyone had posted it. The staff members from top to bottom at the zoo are "good people," as we used to say in '60s and '70s.

6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I love so many of the keepers there!  I think Susan might be my absolute favorite, she clearly adores the birds.  But so many other great ones as well.

Have been watching marathons of all the zoos the past few days. I like Secret Life of the Zoo the best but am certainly looking forward to the new season. I wonder how many old faces we'll see.

Susan is my favorite as well.

We adopted a 3-year-old cat who will be moving in on Monday, a stray who was fostered for a few months. I hope he is an Animal Planet fan! I'm going to isolate him in the office for the first 2 or 3 days until he and our Isabel program to the idea of each other's presence - with "his" TV tuned to AP during that time.

I feel like I'm 10 years old and Christmas is coming!

Secret Life of the Zoo made me ROFL this morning.

Otters Icana and Diego were not a good match and Diego was given the boot. Icana, who of course had no idea that a new mate was on his way to her, busied herself with marking her domain to cover all traces of Diego's former presence.

The keeper, who was a hoot, summed it up by saying "His clothes are boxed up at the door." 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, suomi said:

The keeper, who was a hoot, summed it up by saying "His clothes are boxed up at the door." 

Maybe it's because of the accents but I often chuckle at some of the keeper's comments on Secret Lives.  I love it when Sarah tells the kicking giraffe that "you're so nawww-ty".  And Niall giving hints on things you need to work with chimps: "Lots of patience.  And the ability to duck".  Heh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, suomi said:

Secret Life of the Zoo made me ROFL this morning.

Otters Icana and Diego were not a good match and Diego was given the boot. Icana, who of course had no idea that a new mate was on his way to her, busied herself with marking her domain to cover all traces of Diego's former presence.

Isn’t there a forum for this show? If not, you can make one.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Fungus infections are very hard to treat and stop, I doubt there was anything the vets could have done about it. 

That's true and it's also been said multiple times that wild animals don't show any signs of illness until it's too late to do much.  It's a genetic trait so that they don't stand out to predators as being weak.  It must have been so hard on the keepers, I'm sure that there was a whole lot of second guessing.  But they should take comfort in knowing that these animals live a whole lot longer under their care than they would in the wild.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Isn’t there a forum for this show? If not, you can make one.

No, no forum.  And I have scoured the "how to" sections to find out how to do that without any luck.

1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

And there's this kindergarten teacher quality to her talking heads that drives me crazy. 

That she is married to Jim is just a mystery to me!  Talk about polar opposites. She does clearly love the animals though and they seem to respond to her as well.

• Love 2

I bet Kathleen's speech pattern comes from many years of dealing with the school groups.

Nadia, the tiger has tested positive for Covid-19, they think an employee passed it on to her, and others.    However, there is no proof that the virus can pass to humans.   

https://www.wsfa.com/2020/04/05/tiger-nycs-bronx-zoo-tests-positive-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3xQlyYsHati1ypLDmMYYp-30QK5613fxh1Ne_z3OG2f7v7Bgvg8OGXTZU

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Nadia, the tiger has tested positive for Covid-19, they think an employee passed it on to her, and others.

And others = 6 big cats 😞

• Love 1

I like Kathleen. She clearly adores the animals and I love how she is with them. She is a person who I bet is more comfortable with other species than humans, but she's braving the cameras for the sake of the mission. I don't think her voice is fake. That usually sets me off, but I don't hear her that way.

I was very sad about Max the camel.

• Love 5

I have always felt that there isn't a camera that Kathleen doesn't love to get in the way of.  It's a big zoo and yet Kathleen seems to always have a segment about her 'animal ambassadors'.  Now it's not that I don't like the idea and it's nice to see them sometimes but jeezaloo lady,  there's a lot of animals we could be looking at there and I'll bet only a small percentage of them are 'animal ambassadors'. I am so beyond sick of her segments.

• Love 2

I assumed Kathleen came from a fairly affluent family - after all there is a Lamattina Building at the zoo.  Her voice is her voice - it probably works very well when dealing with elementary school-aged children.