Type keyword(s) to search

The Zoo (Bronx Zoo) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Dude Komodo was like “Man, I was just trying to introduce myself!”?

I like that the keepers said they would try again in two weeks. Can you imagine Dude Komodo seeing her again? I can see him taking one peek and running back to his enclosure. "That bitch be crazy".

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

That Dodo Heroes show will have me crying. The commercials made me tear up!

I'm not sure I'm going to watch this one.  Abused animals are too much for me.  I don't watch any animal rescue shows.  They really upset me.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

That Dodo Heroes show will have me crying. The commercials made me tear up!

Oh, I am SO looking forward to this new show, despite the sob factor.  It looks like there will be more tears of joy than of sorrow - at least, I hope so.

Trying to catch those cute little squirrel monkeys took an enormous amount of time and patience.  It was nice to see them eventually entering the crates to grab a treat, and be captured without too much stress - on the monkeys, that is.  I'm sure the keepers felt quite a bit of anxiety!  ;-)

• Love 3
(edited)

Elephants have such good memories.  When they featured the guy who was retiring, I thought, he must go back to visit with those two elephants, no matter if he is retired.  You know they would be worried for him to disappear after seeing him regularly for 30 years. I would imagine not seeing the elephants would be challenging too.  I can't even imagine what a void there would be. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/elephants-never-forget/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

Poor Ernie the gorilla :(  No one likes having dental work done!

The bird of paradise female being less than impressed by the male at first was kind of funny.  Gotta step it up buddy!

Loved the little turtles and their big eyes, LOL.  So cute! squeeeeeeee baby turtle omg., that little fella who needed help getting out of his shell.  I want that job!!   I liked how the cute herpetologist was loving the wee turtles too.

I didn't realize I was watching the season finale.  Waaah.  I hope we get another season.

• Love 3

Thank you for those links. I hope The Zoo gets many more seasons/ episodes! 

Does anyone know where I would find the forums(s) for Animal Cops? I can't locate it in the alphabetical list of shows but I'm a very dedicated Animal Cops viewer and would love to be part of that specific forum. Thanks for any help!

• Love 1

I haven't had the time to watch this show lately so thank you Raven for the info on the last episode! Love this show. Looking forward to the new show this weekend on Animal Planet "Dodo Heroes".

• Love 1
(edited)

I have no idea how to open a new thread for Animal Planet's "Dodo Heroes". I'm halfway thru the episode of the puppies and kittens that were rescued. The puppies are going back to the U.S. but no mention (yet) about the kittens' fate. I have to head out to work. Hope the ending for the kittens turns out well.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1
On 6/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, chenoa333 said:

I have no idea how to open a new thread for Animal Planet's "Dodo Heroes". I'm halfway thru the episode of the puppies and kittens that were rescued. The puppies are going back to the U.S. but no mention (yet) about the kittens' fate. I have to head out to work. Hope the ending for the kittens turns out well.

Chenoa, if you will go to the Forum for Starting a New Thread,

you can read the Guidelines that will show you how to start a new Forum. 

Here is the link:   http://forums.previously.tv/forum/166-new-show-forum-requests-onoff-air-status-updates/

Edited by TerryeW1
  • Love 1

Some sad news about one of the aging animals:

Spoiler

Maxine, the 48 year old Asian elephant was euthanized early this week after a neurological illness. She's been in the Bronx since 1973.

The zoo acknowledged that they will reevaluate Patty (48) and Happy's (47) care going forward. They are still physically separated but can see each other. Patty is the one the show covered having TB treatment.

I think Jim has talked on the show about how the zoo would not add any elephants unless it could properly accommodate an intact family. Before Maxine's passing he has also countered protestors, saying that they're concerned moving Happy to a sanctuary and forcing her to leave her home for decades would harm her. 

New Elephant Rights Lawsuit Demands Liberty, Sanctuary for Elephant Confined Alone at the Bronx Zoo

IF Happy is lonely, I wonder if the elephant keeper's retirement is a contributing factor. After all, I doubt Happy understands the concept of retirement.  All she is aware of is someone she saw everyday and who spent a lot of time with her is no longer there.  it may appear to her as a death and elephants do grieve.

• Love 3

Animal Planet's The Zoo Third Season Premieres Sunday, February 10 at 8PM

This season the unscripted docuseries will feature animals and staff at all five Wildlife Conservation Society parks in New York City -- the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, Queens Zoo and New York Aquarium.  Some of the animals featured in the new season include:

• A camel, who has a toupee created for him as he heals from a medical procedure;

• The birth and rearing of a baby mandrill;

• The rescue of a young peregrine falcon who was injured in downtown Manhattan as it attempted to take its first flight off a skyscraper; and

• An up-close look at the building and opening of the Ocean Wonders: Sharks! exhibit at the New York Aquarium that includes the moving of a group of large sharks to their new habitat.

Other new animals introduced this season include a marmot, Andean bears, a Rodrigues fruit bat pup, warthog, snow monkeys, Nile crocodile, a sloth, and many more.  The Animal Planet audience will also see updates on animals from past seasons.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I haven't seen this show yet, but I am looking forward to it. I had not had cable for a couple of years and got a streaming service last spring. It took me a while to catch up on all the shows I used to watch and I kind of got side tracked with Josh Gates shows and other things on Discovery Science. 

I am from the midwest, but I lived several years in DC. I've never been to the Bronx Zoo. But I got an introduction to it last year from Linda Fairstein's last Alexandra Cooper book, Deadfall. If you like mysteries, I highly recommend her books. One of the main characters, a NYC detective is a big history buff, especially NYC history. It always tickles me to see something on tv that I've learned about from reading one of her books. They are a series, but can stand alone, so if you just want to read the last one to read about the zoo, you can follow it just fine. She really does give a lot of information about the Zoo and it's animals, it's locations, it's educational programs all set in a great fictional book. And that's why I'm even mentioning it.

So I've seen the ads during Pitbulls and Parolees and I am looking forward to watching it. I am happy that zoos have changed their missions so much from when I was a kid going to the KC zoo on a regular basis, I lived within walking distance and we spent a lot of days in the summer going to the zoo. And KC has changed it's zoo so much from those days, I was there several years ago after years of living away. I was impressed. They have a way to go, but there's so much improvement. It's funny, but I've lived in Tulsa over 20 years and I've never been to the Zoo here. If I get transportation again, I'm going to try to make it there.

• Useful 1

So happy to have this show back! And babies!

Even though all/most of the segments were culled from previous episodes, it was still nice to revisit the cute cuddlies.

I enjoy them all but this show is somehow more fun for me than other zoo series. Susan the penguin keeper is the best.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

?

I saw a marathon of previous seasons, followed by an all new episode, featuring camels and a golden marmoset.

The baby animal episode was listed as new, but the majority was a compilation of stories from previous seasons. Still very enjoyable. Loved the toupee camel episode.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I saw a marathon of previous seasons, followed by an all new episode, featuring camels and a golden marmoset.

Thanks! My danged guide showed the "Babies" episode as being new, but I'm going to go watch the actual new ep on demand now.

Max the camel was puzzling. He didn't seem to be in any discomfort with the abscess (which are typically very painful) nor did he flinch or jerk away when the vet injected him. We see a lot of other large animals do that with shots. Either camels are pretty phlegmatic in general or just Max is. He was resistant to having the abscess messed with after it had been opened up though, so maybe that had made the spot more sensitive.

It was nice to see Jim return to help Max through it since he used to be a keeper for the camels. The guy seems to be pretty chill overall.

The camel rides for children look like a personal injury lawsuit waiting to happen.

This is my own ick factor, but can't the keepers brush the camels' teeth? Those big gray/green/yellow chompers look so bad! Same with horses.

Was Max less stressed during the second bandage change? I missed the follow-up.

• Love 1

He was totally chill for the second bandage change. They decided they could even change it every day instead of every other, and put him back into the rides program because he was doing so well.

They said they thought he had gotten used to the routine of what they were doing, but I wonder if also he was just plain feeling a lot better at that point, because the treatment had been working.

• Love 5

And once again I'm reminded of how much I regret not choosing a zoological science career track while in college!

The delight the keepers cannot contain is absolutely infectious. Mott Mott's chosen human buddy had the best laugh!

The only minor floatie in the eye of this show for me is the head outreach/education woman, Kathleen, I think? I cannot put my finger on it, but she rubs me the wrong way. Burning incense in your office, really? Bleh. Every single other person, though, is fantastic. I'd love to follow around any of them for a day, even if it meant shoveling poop to earn my keep.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

And once again I'm reminded of how much I regret not choosing a zoological science career track while in college!

The delight the keepers cannot contain is absolutely infectious. Mott Mott's chosen human buddy had the best laugh!

The only minor floatie in the eye of this show for me is the head outreach/education woman, Kathleen, I think? I cannot put my finger on it, but she rubs me the wrong way. Burning incense in your office, really? Bleh. Every single other person, though, is fantastic. I'd love to follow around any of them for a day, even if it meant shoveling poop to earn my keep.

The education woman’s voice kind of grates. She is married to the head zoo guy (Jim?). She is a little unique. She has said she relates more to animals than people. 

• Love 4
On 2/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

Mott Mott's chosen human buddy had the best laugh!

I loved them both - whenever the keeper was holding Mott Mott, he had the biggest smile on his face, aw.    Max the camel's keeper being so worried about him was sweet also. 

It was nice to re-visit the leopard who had the leg issue last season.  I remember one of the keepers sewing something for her too and then in this once we have the woman sewing the head guard for Max's abscess.  I love how invested they are.

• Love 7

All those poor dead lizards even after intensive medical treatment. Sigh.

Combined that with the months-long hand rearing of Barbara Gordon. it's amazing (and heartening) to see how much time and money are spent on keeping all animals as healthy and active as possible.

Baby goats, I swear. So damned cute!

• Love 5
On 2/14/2019 at 9:45 PM, Pickles said:

The education woman’s voice kind of grates. She is married to the head zoo guy (Jim?). She is a little unique. 

I agree with you about Kathleen. I had no idea she was married to a head guy there? Anyway, her voice is very grating and too much on the babyish side for me. And her eyes seem to make her look constantly surprised. Great ambassador program though so she must know her stuff. I just don’t want to see her or listen to her lol. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I agree with you about Kathleen. I had no idea she was married to a head guy there? Anyway, her voice is very grating and too much on the babyish side for me. And her eyes seem to make her look constantly surprised. Great ambassador program though so she must know her stuff. I just don’t want to see her or listen to her lol. 

This was covered a lot in Season 1 on the first couple of episodes. They met at the zoo, and evidently she was a wild child and he was pretty straight laced. They fell for one another, dated, got married and have worked together ever since. They are clearly opposites in every way, but it works for them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

This was covered a lot in Season 1 on the first couple of episodes. 

Thanks for the info! I’m a new watcher and have only seen a couple episodes from this year. 

2 minutes ago, raven said:

I'm just squeeing over the baby bat in last week's episode that I'm just watching now.  I think bats are cute anyway but omg so, so cute. 

They really are adorable.  So fragile, yet so fierce!  Bat rescuers are lucky people.

• Love 4
(edited)

I love how mushy the bird keeper is about the birds. She was like that when they were taking care of a baby penguin, too. And that chick this week really was super adorable.

I also loved how one of the shark keepers had a favorite shark and the lemur keeper liked working with lemurs because they were "direct contact" animals.

I also love the names they give. Was one of the sharks named Caroline?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
(edited)

I love zoo shows and I've been watching The Secret Life of the Zoo-british version.  I love it.  I have direct tv and it's on demand.  The accents are a little thick to my American ears, but it's wonderful to see so many caring people taking care of our animal friends.  I highly recommend it!

It's on animal planet.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, toodles said:

I love zoo shows and I've been watching The Secret Life of the Zoo-british version.  I love it.  I have direct tv and it's on demand.  The accents are a little thick to my American ears, but it's wonderful to see so many caring people taking care of our animal friends.  I highly recommend it!

It's on animal planet.

I love it, too.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think there's some confusion here. There are a few different zoo-related shows airing right now.

I think this thread is for the one about the Bronx Zoo.

The shows about the British zoo and the Ohio zoo have their own threads, I think?

Edited by possibilities
31 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The shows about the British zoo and the Ohio zoo have their own threads, I think?

No threads for them - yet.

Secrets of the Zoo on NatGeoWild is about the Columbus Zoo in Ohio.

Secret Life of the Zoo on Animal Planet is about the Chester Zoo in England.

2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I really like Dr. John Sykes. His easy going demeanor and compassion for the animals is wonderful. Ok, I think he’s hot. TMI? 

He seems like a nice guy, but every time he speaks I think he sounds like Kripke from "Big Bang Theory"!  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I really like Dr. John Sykes. His easy going demeanor and compassion for the animals is wonderful. Ok, I think he’s hot. TMI? 

I think he is a negative Nancy. LOL. It seems like in every situation, he goes to the dark side and predicts the worst outcome. The leopard who couldn't walk--most likely will never walk again. Oh wait, now he can walk. The camel with the mass on his head--it will probably be cancer. Oh wait, it was benign. I am exaggerating, but he always seems to head straight to the worst case scenario. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 3:16 PM, possibilities said:

On 3/5/2019 at 3:53 PM, walnutqueen said:

No threads for them - yet.

If anyone hasn't poked around the new functionality, users can create new topics now, which is nice. There's also a catch-all veterinary topic in the Genre section where animal lovers can huddle up. :-)

Edited by 2727
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I hope Nakita will be happy with her new home. I would have had a very hard time letting her go like that. She seemed very trusting and well-bonded with the keepers in the Bronx. I wish they'd shown her working with the new keepers before she was moved, and settling in happily in D.C.

The alligators also seemed very trusting. They put their faces right into the loops!

And of course there's not a lot that's more adorable than baby bunnies.

I wish they'd told us more about the sloth. I have a fondness for them, and I have read some about them. They are quite interesting and all we really got in this episode was "they get misted thrice daily" and "they are not lazy".

I also wondered why there seemed to be only one sloth. Don't they usually try to have more than one of a species?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

It must have been so hard to let Nakita go!  Her keepers had a long history with her family.  I've often wondered if, when animals are moved from one zoo to another, the new zoo allows the keepers from the old zoo go behind the scenes to visit.

The woman with the bunnies was so sweet.  Crying with happiness when there were babies and crying with sadness when she had to release them into the wild.  I'd have been crying, too.  It's a great program to help reestablish the population, though.

• Love 5