Type keyword(s) to search

The Zoo (Bronx Zoo) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was curious about what the qualifications are for keepers; below is an example from an open position. I swear, if I was starting my career now and lived in NYC and could support myself on the (probably) low pay ...   

Job Title Wild Animal Keeper, Mammals

Location Bronx Zoo

Job Type Full-Time

Department BZ-MAMMAL

Job Description Qualifications:
Applicants must be able to comprehend and use oral and written English. In addition, they must meet at least one of the following requirements:
One year recent, full time paid experience in the handling, feeding and care of animals in a zoo or on a stock farm,  
OR
One academic year of full time study in animal husbandry or related fields in a school of agriculture or veterinary science,
OR
An equivalent combination of education or experience.
#LI-DR1

Qualification Requirements
EMPLOYEE MUST BE ABLE TO WORK SATURDAYS & SUNDAYS & ALL HOLIDAYS

Edited by 2727
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

RIP, Tundra. ?

Ok. I'm emotionally prepared (kind of) for the answer to my question: who was Tundra and what was the cause of death?

15 hours ago, Reality police said:

I so amazed week after week at the love and respect the keepers have for the animals. Such a dedicated group of people. 

^^^^ This is the world I want to live in. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 3
Just now, chenoa333 said:

Ok. I'm emotionally prepared (kind of) for the answer to my question: who was Tundra and what was the cause od death?

^^^^ This is the world I want to live in. 

Tundra was the 26 year old polar bear. They had raised him from a cub. I don't think they said, I think just old age. They normally live to 20.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Reality police said:

Tundra was the 26 year old polar bear. They had raised him from a cub. I don't think they said, I think just old age. They normally live to 20.

Whew! That's a softer blow than I expected! Sounds like Tundra had a good life. 

This series always fills my heart with joy, laughter, love, respect for all living beings and I just want to go LIVE there....forever at the Boogie Down Bronx Zoo!!

• Love 8

I appreciate that they acknowledge that the way zoos keep and treat animals has changed.  We saw it both with the elephants and with Tundra.  At the time the animals were acquired, the standards were different, and that there wouldn't be another polar bear to replace Tundra, and the explanation as to why the elephants are still with the zoo and not transferred somewhere else.  It also sounds like (I can't remember if they said in the episode or not) that they likely wouldn't have elephants again after the three were gone.  I've always been of two minds about zoos, but I appreciate acknowledgment that things used to not be great for the animals at zoos but that they're working to make things better.

• Love 7

I'm catching up on episodes and all I know is that I just spend an hour worrying about an aardvark and squeeing over burrowing owls.

Whoever does the music cues is on point by the way.

• Love 7
On 4/15/2018 at 1:06 PM, 2727 said:

I was curious about what the qualifications are for keepers; below is an example from an open position. I swear, if I was starting my career now and lived in NYC and could support myself on the (probably) low pay ...   

Job Title Wild Animal Keeper, Mammals

Location Bronx Zoo

Job Type Full-Time

Department BZ-MAMMAL

Job Description Qualifications:
Applicants must be able to comprehend and use oral and written English. In addition, they must meet at least one of the following requirements:
One year recent, full time paid experience in the handling, feeding and care of animals in a zoo or on a stock farm,  
OR
One academic year of full time study in animal husbandry or related fields in a school of agriculture or veterinary science,
OR
An equivalent combination of education or experience.
#LI-DR1

Qualification Requirements
EMPLOYEE MUST BE ABLE TO WORK SATURDAYS & SUNDAYS & ALL HOLIDAYS

Keeper jobs are so scarce now that zoos generally hire people with 4 year degrees + some kind of exerience.  for example this is a link to an open position as  Primate Keeper at the Cincinnati Zoo  http://cincinnatizoo.org/about-us/job-opportunities/

23 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Look at the Wikipedia entry about the Bronx Zoo. There is a section about Happy the elephant. Poor girl has had bad luck with respect to companions. 

This breaks my fucking heart.  Much as I applaud what these really great zoos do, I hate what they do ...

I remain totally conflicted about the entire premise, and wish we would not have the need for zoos or animal sanctuaries.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

This breaks my fucking heart.  Much as I applaud what these really great zoos do, I hate what they do ...

I remain totally conflicted about the entire premise, and wish we would not have the need for zoos or animal sanctuaries.

I was upset that Laverne and Maxine attacked the elephant who was Happy’s friend, resulting in her eventual death.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I was upset that Laverne and Maxine attacked the elephant who was Happy’s friend, resulting in her eventual death.

Bad enough this shit happens in the wild - where too much other bad shit already happens ...  :-(

Sometimes I just cannot deal.

• Love 4
On 4/16/2018 at 10:03 PM, LittleIggy said:

Glad I missed that episode/info. 

• Love 4
On 4/18/2018 at 8:54 AM, LittleIggy said:

That info was in the Wikipedia article. On the show, they just said they didn’t get along with Happy.

Not getting along,  and attacking another elephant causing its death are really not even close or similar. Too bad the zoo keepers couldn't/didn't separate Happy before it turned tragic. But I'm not criticizing the zoo or its decision making. Ultimately, these are wild animals who were never meant to be in captivity no matter how natural their habitat.

Thank you LITTLEIGGY for sharing that info. I still love this series!

• Love 5

I had a bad feeling about those pups when she started moving them around a lot.? The mom’s coloring was striking.

I love the female gibbon’s black Mohawk stripe in her orange hair. I love gibbons.

I want to have an eagle perch on my arm!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I had a bad feeling about those pups when she started moving them around a lot

Yes

1) These wild dogs are endangered

2) The Bronx Zoo has a program to build up the wild dog population

3) Based on the mother's erratic way with her litters...

4) Why didn't the vets/keepers immediately remove the pups and hand raise them? 

5) Although not ideal, they would (most likely) have a better chance at survival.

6) The Cincinnati Zoo's hippo (Fiona) was born prematurely and the zoo sprung into action:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiona_(hippopotamus)

7) Fiona (#can't resist #that face)

download.jpg.fc5f563afea8abeb7261efa57c5eea64.jpg5adc7bb7e17cb_download(1).jpg.fe217cc769c25972ee51120837749ee7.jpg

This show proves there is a lid for every pot.  It takes someone special to love the wild dogs.  All of God's creatures are beautiful and special, but the rolling and the smells would not make the dogs my first choice if I were a zoo keeper.  Their keeper clearly loved them.  

I wondered why they didn't move the puppies from the mother too. I'm sure they had a really good reason that we didn't see.  I try really hard to not question Mother Nature, but that was hard to watch.  I'm a huge dog lover and I was really rooting for the puppies.

I love this show and I look forward to watching every week.

• Love 7

Someone upthread said that this was the best show on Animal Planet. I'll go one further and say that it's close to being the best show on television right now. It's certainly my favorite. This show is educational, entertaining, and at times a gripping drama. The head of the zoo has a voice made for television.

(His wife still irritates me. Hard to believe they're married.)

• Love 9

I agree that it's one of the best shows on TV right now.

I haven't rewatched yet, but I laughed when Jim said "Good boy!" to Jackson the golden eagle and then Elias reflexively said "thank you." Heh.

There was an update on the pink pigeons on the zoo's website. A pair successfully bred a chick and it's being raised by the surrogate nesting pair.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Mert sighting! (Aired out of sequence, obvs, but nice to remember him lording it around.)

Those pups already looked half dead when the mom was moving them; very floppy and still.

Wonder what "We won't breed her again" means? Spay her, remove her from the pack, neuter the dominant male? I was also curious about the pack of parents and two children -- do the siblings breed with each other? If these pups had lived, would they have been sent to other zoos as Jim had mentioned? What would their integration process look like there? So many wild dog questions!

I got some laughs when the keeper mentioned that the dogs don't give a shit about humans, and when the gibbons were side-eyeing their new tree.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

if the goal is to preserve the species then c-sections and hand rearing pups is necessary. genetic diversity is the primary concern. Other zoos pull newborns all the time. Here in LA they even perform c-sections with females that are known o be poor mothers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just followed JIm's Twitter feed...he's sharing news about a huge shipment of tortoises that was seized being smuggled out of Madagascar. Zoos all over the world are responding and sending help, including the Bronx Zoo. I sent a contribution in honor of our red-eared sliders.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, halopub said:

I haven't rewatched yet, but I laughed when Jim said "Good boy!" to Jackson the golden eagle and then Elias reflexively said "thank you." Heh.

I was so entertained by everything with Jackson, especially the misting and how much he enjoyed it.  Everyone likes a good spa treatment. 

Poor little wild dog pups. 

@kwnyc thanks for that link.  How awful for those tortoises.  I'm glad zoos are sending help but wish it wasn't needed.

• Love 6

Looks like another we're getting another competing zoo show from Nat Geo Wild:

"The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is one of the largest and most popular zoos in the country. It takes hours just to see it all, but now for the first time NAT GEO WILD is taking viewers behind the scenes to meet the animals and the army of people who work 24-hours a day, 7-days a week to create one of the best zoo experiences in the country. Zoo Life premieres this May on Nat Geo Wild."

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, 2727 said:

Looks like another we're getting another competing zoo show from Nat Geo Wild:

"The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is one of the largest and most popular zoos in the country. It takes hours just to see it all, but now for the first time NAT GEO WILD is taking viewers behind the scenes to meet the animals and the army of people who work 24-hours a day, 7-days a week to create one of the best zoo experiences in the country. Zoo Life premieres this May on Nat Geo Wild."

VERY cool!  I could watch shows like this all day.  ;-)

• Love 7
19 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

Jim explained on twitter why they didn't remove the pups and hand raise in response to someone's angry tweet to him about it:

Thanks for the reference.

Glad that there is a valid reason.

I'm relieved to learn that they were not cavalier in their attitude towards the dogs.

But notice those pups were not returned back to the pack in OKC Zoo, probably because they wouldn't be recognized by the others as pack members.   It sounds like the move to LA made them their own pack. 

• Love 2

But notice those pups were not returned back to the pack in OKC Zoo,

But that's why I said "if the goal is to help the species as a whole and not just expand their own pack." Maybe that isn't the goal.

Look, I just wanted to know if a surrogate was possible and I discovered that the Oklahoma City Zoo had done it.  They seem to have been very successful with their painted dogs.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 2

If the goal is just to produce animals, they could just artificially inseminate the all of the females regardless on whether they are the alpha dog, then raise the puppies via surrogate, however the none alpha females would have to  be removed from the pack and perhaps just kenneled and would lose the whole pack structure. I suspect just like other wild animals painted dog puppies learn to be painted dogs from their mother and other members of the pack.  In the end you might have a lot of genetic painted dogs but you have lost the essence of what they are.  They will be like those Bronx elephants seemingly happy in their existance but not understand how to be elephants in a herd.

Perhaps the zoos know their business and are about raising painted dogs as painted dogs and keeping things like pack structure viable so someday perhaps they could be reintroduced in the wild.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, speac said:

Perhaps the zoos know their business and are about raising painted dogs as painted dogs and keeping things like pack structure viable so someday perhaps they could be reintroduced in the wild.

The problem with this is there is no place in the wild for so many of these species anymore and that isn't likely to change. With more people comes more domesticated animals and more agriculture.

• Love 2

Baby snow leopard! Nice to see the head vet's "excited face" about her outcome. Heh.

A pup with the same condition was on another show (can't remember which one). The techs worked with him for weeks using the hobble and supports, and he made terrific progress as well. It was great to see that the rock wall and tree branch ladder the zoo built working so well. And thankfully, no maternal neglect and sadness this week.

If I were a keeper, I'd have hated giving the cub back to the mother every day. Cu-tie pie!

On 4/21/2018 at 11:27 PM, LittleIggy said:

I want to have an eagle perch on my arm!

I wouldn't mind the eagle's keeper perching on my couch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I had seen this episode before but didn’t mind watching it again because that baby snow leopard was so adorable. I wanted to tickle her fat little belly! Loved when her mom settled down at the den door with her, licking her like “How was PT today, sweetie?” ? 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I had seen this episode before but didn’t mind watching it again because that baby snow leopard was so adorable. I wanted to tickle her fat little belly! Loved when her mom settled down at the den door with her, licking her like “How was PT today, sweetie?” ? 

I think someone goofed over at Comcast, because there was an episode 8 that appeared on my "On Demand" that should have followed last week's eagle episode (which was listed as episode 7) about gila monsters.  When I looked at the Animal Planet site, the gila monster episode is listed as episode 9, and is supposed to air next week, while the snow leopard episode is listed as episode 7.  But I don't think the gila monster episode is being shown by Comcast next week.  But at least it's on on demand so I'll watch it there.

Also, the one the flagged as new seemed partly new and partly a repeat.  I'm wondering if that's because some of it was included in a season preview episode.  I remember the snow leopards but not the bats.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, 2727 said:

A pup with the same condition was on another show (can't remember which one). The techs worked with him for weeks using the hobble and supports, and he made terrific progress as well.

I recognized swimmer syndrome right away because I had seen it on two other shows.  One was Pit Bulls and Parolees, and the other was Dr. Chris, Pet Vet.

I'm glad to see a happy outcome as well.  A little sad about Mert possibly not having a long future ahead of him.  Seems like he's had a good life, though.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:48 AM, speac said:

If the goal is just to produce animals, they could just artificially inseminate the all of the females regardless on whether they are the alpha dog, then raise the puppies via surrogate, however the none alpha females would have to  be removed from the pack and perhaps just kenneled and would lose the whole pack structure.

I was only thinking about that particular litter and a possibility that intervention may have saved it.  Some people suggested hand-rearing, which the zoo addressed, but I was curious about a surrogate mother.  To be clear, I am not talking about changing the way zoos breed and raise their animals.  I think we've covered this enough, and I do understand what you're saying.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I think someone goofed over at Comcast, because there was an episode 8 that appeared on my "On Demand" that should have followed last week's eagle episode (which was listed as episode 7) about gila monsters.  When I looked at the Animal Planet site, the gila monster episode is listed as episode 9, and is supposed to air next week, while the snow leopard episode is listed as episode 7.  But I don't think the gila monster episode is being shown by Comcast next week.  But at least it's on on demand so I'll watch it there.

Also, the one the flagged as new seemed partly new and partly a repeat.  I'm wondering if that's because some of it was included in a season preview episode.  I remember the snow leopards but not the bats.

Animal Planet released next week's episode early and announced it at the end of the show yesterday. It's on the app and I guess on some cable providers' free-on-demand streaming. I'm not sure about the timing but no complaints. So I'm not sure when gila monsters will show up, but the komodo dragons are considered episode 9.

12 hours ago, 2727 said:

Baby snow leopard! Nice to see the head vet's "excited face" about her outcome. Heh.

A pup with the same condition was on another show (can't remember which one). The techs worked with him for weeks using the hobble and supports, and he made terrific progress as well. It was great to see that the rock wall and tree branch ladder the zoo built working so well. And thankfully, no maternal neglect and sadness this week.

It makes his visible tears at losing Snowballs last year all the more moving.

As Josette and others mentioned upthread, Pitbulls and Parolees had two dogs with swimmers recently. Then one progressed so quickly that she appeared on Puppy Bowl.

The Bronx Zoo shared video of the baby snow leopard, Khyber, and mentioned that she's Leo's granddaughter. I really liked this official snap of her:

4euo932oyq_julie_larsen_maher_7482_snow_

Edited by halopub
fixed mention
  • Love 9

The antelopes being released into their new pen made me laugh, thinking about that old parental chestnut asking a child if he or she would jump off a cliff just because everyone else did.

One less cautious antelope poked its nose out, then slowly entered the enclosure and boom! All the others follow. Golly, the leader didn't immediately die so ... boing, boing, boing.

• Love 4

These beautiful creations (much more beautiful than humans) bring me to tears just seeing them. I wish opportunities (such as zoo keepers etc) were a part of college studies when I was younger. Love this show❤

• Love 5
9 hours ago, halopub said:

Animal Planet released next week's episode early and announced it at the end of the show yesterday. It's on the app and I guess on some cable providers' free-on-demand streaming. I'm not sure about the timing but no complaints. So I'm not sure when gila monsters will show up, but the komodo dragons are considered episode 9.

It makes his visible tears at losing Snowballs last year all the more moving.

As Josette and others mentioned upthread, Pitbulls and Parolees had two dogs with swimmers recently. Then one progressed so quickly that she appeared on Puppy Bowl.

The Bronx Zoo shared video of the baby snow leopard, Khyber, and mentioned that she's Leo's granddaughter. I really liked this official snap of her:

4euo932oyq_julie_larsen_maher_7482_snow_

Thank you for posting the video. Mom and daughter look so healthy and happy. They are beautiful. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, halopub said:

Ha, well Comcast still screwed up because it's not showing the dragon episode next week, but a different one, and calling that episode 9.  So if anyone's watching this on Comcast, check the "On Demand" section if you want to see the REAL episode 9 on the dragons (only they're calling it episode 8).  They may pick up on the error and switch things around a bit, but I didnt want to miss the episode.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, toodles said:

No love connection for the Komodo dragons.:-( 

Dude Komodo was like “Man, I was just trying to introduce myself!”?

Squirrel monkeys are so freaking cute!

That Dodo Heroes show will have me crying. The commercials made me tear up!

• Love 3