Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Any Day Now

What a nice blast from the past to see this show up as a forum.  It was one of my favorite shows when it was on, but I remember very little about it.  I wish it was available on DVD, or that Lifetime would air it again.

• Like 4

I geeked out recently when I realized that Annie Potts and Renee Toussaint were appearing together on “The Fosters (Potts as Stef’s Mom, Toussaint as Lena’s). 

Colyar was hot, and I loved how he and he alone always called M.E. “Mary Elizabeth”. 

• Like 2

I tried The Fosters, liked it briefly, then hated it intensely and tuned out, but still made sure to catch their first episode together just to see them reunited.  They had great chemistry on this show, and it was still there in that one.

Young Collier (IMDb says Colliar, but I've always had it in my mind as Collier, and so he shall stay) was so cute, but adult Collier pissed me off a lot; I kept channeling Anthony Bouvier (Designing Women) and sneering "racist swine" at him.  It always seemed to be consistent with his characterization, though, so I have to give points for that - from what I remember, the main characters were well developed, and any bad acts by any of them made sense, rather than being plot-driven.

I remember being ticked off when they recast the actors playing the young versions of Rene and M.E. - but didn't they keep the kid playing young Collier?  (Holy crap, looking that up to confirm, I just now realized that young Collier is the same guy who played Brandon in Easy A - no wonder I liked him so much in that movie.)

That searching led me to this article from last year, looking back quite fondly on the series (including an interview with co-creator/executive producer Nancy Miller).  This show doesn't get its due when talking about TV's handling of racism and race relations.  From the article:

Any Day Now, which did garner some critical acclaim, avoids using white savior plots and offensive, stereotypical characters such as black maids or black criminals. It critiqued white tears and cultural appropriation long before they became subjects for viral social media memes. And the series duly zeroes in on the impact of racism, rather than on an individual's intent.

This is likely due to the make up of the writers' room that, unlike many others, was extremely diverse. At least 50 percent of the writers of Any Day Now were people of color—almost all of them African American. "In the writing room, we got into knockdown drag-out fights, but there was always love and respect and humor," Miller said. "We knew M.E. and Rene could say what they wanted to say to each other about race. They could be honest with each other. They had conversations that we can't seem to have these days in real life."

"Our mandate was to go as deep as we could and not shy away," said Valerie Woods, who started as first executive story editor and later became co-executive producer. "We never wanted to take the safe route. We were not trying to write palatable television."

And so, Any Day Now seamlessly executed themes such as internal and systemic racism, the privilege to remain silent in the face of oppression, and racism-related trauma—themes that remain prevalent in our society, but not so much on our television screens.

• Like 2

Dang. I let myself get excited, thinking that someone had created this forum in celebration of this awesome show becoming available somewhere to purchase or stream. The wait continues!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, auntiemel said:

Dang. I let myself get excited, thinking that someone had created this forum in celebration of this awesome show becoming available somewhere to purchase or stream. The wait continues!

sorry and yeah it's not available for streaming unfortunately, but I have the DVDs of it at least most of the episodes I'm missing 2 anyway they are up on youtube if you're interested.

35 minutes ago, ESS said:

sorry and yeah it's not available for streaming unfortunately, but I have the DVDs of it at least most of the episodes I'm missing 2 anyway they are up on youtube if you're interested.

I will check that out! Even at $2 an episode or whatever they charge, it would be well worth it!

6 hours ago, auntiemel said:

I will check that out! Even at $2 an episode or whatever they charge, it would be well worth it!

Well actually they are up for free no charge. Although I don't know if all of the episodes are still up.

• Like 1

Dammit! We can't have nice things! This is another held up by the music I bet. I look all the time for this to pop up because I am grabbing it. 

Loved everything about this show.