Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Kendra's Birthday Surprise

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, readerblue said:

The cap sleeves are “precious”.... OMG, Michelle needs to broaden her vocabulary!

I went down the rabbit hole because I just wanted to hear Meechelle utter those words. That woman is on some serious medication. The way her eyes bugged out before she attempted to say her line ... Wow. Just wow.

12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

@Christina87 Jeremy doesn't have an MBA. He did 1 year towards it at Syracuse because he had a year of soccer eligibility left, but he never completed it. 

I read somewhere that those cakes had to be ordered a week in advance, not to mention there were purple balloons, so that wasn't as spontaneous as they wanted it to look. 

Yeah, there was no way that cake just "happened" to be sitting there front and center ...

• Love 3

Yeah, I think that I would feel rather silly that I wasn't able to make it one day without seeing my fiance.  lol Oh well.....didn't Kendra say they were going to have dinner and then get back on the plane to return home?  I mean....I suppose it was a good TLC opportunity though, with the private plan ride and all. 

I like Joe and Kendra. i think they are kinda cute, by Duggar standards.  Her mom and sisters seem to have normal reactions to things too. 

I'm worried about Michelle. 

Green Shirt is back. 

I didn't hate jeremy. 

Jinger's dress was short and swingy. I was worried about a breeze but she managed to keep it down. 

• Love 10

I thought I caught a brief glimpse when the wind blew and Jinger's dress blew....I think she had on black biker shorts, or the dress had a black lining or slip under it? I do not doubt they planned for a possible NIKE moment! She has nice legs and I am glad she is allowed to show them off!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I think that I would feel rather silly that I wasn't able to make it one day without seeing my fiance.  lol Oh well.....didn't Kendra say they were going to have dinner and then get back on the plane to return home?  I mean....I suppose it was a good TLC opportunity though, with the private plan ride and all. 

Oh! And then Kindra said to Joe, “You flew commercial?” Like he had to interact with the unwashed heathen masses. ?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, skippy said:

Joe and Kendra are refreshingly uncomplicated and sweet.  They may not be the sharpest tools in the shed, but they seem genuine, unlike most everyone else in this family.

I agree. Kendra is very sweet and quite refreshing in her humility. Joe seems like a good guy -- I loved to hear that he gave roses to his sisters on Valentine's Day. They're very young, but I think they are a good match. I hope they find a lot of happiness with each other.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like Jeremy and Jinger's sense of style.  I wonder if they are considered the black sheep in the main Duggar household though.  I sense that they may considered too worldly.  lol 

They seem like a fun, laid-back couple -- I wouldn't mind hanging out with them. I couldn't say the same about Jill and Derrick.

• Love 4

It warms my cold black heart how much Kendrab appreciates Joe's public displays of affection for her.

Joe equally enjoys how much how she smushes her breasts into his chest/side...walking that fine line of near frontal hugs...sweet ecstasy!

• Love 12

I can't believe I'm saying this because if my now 29-year old daughter had come to me at 19 and said she wanted to get married, I probably would have put her under house arrest. But I think Kendra and Joe are absolutely adorable. He doesn't have even a whiff of arrogance about him - he genuinely seems to adore Kendra and puts her needs before his. And she clearly loves and appreciates his kindness and adoration. They seem mutually, genuinely committed to making each other happy. I think they may wind up the happiest of all the couples. 

... Gathering up my Thin Mints and wine for a long stay in The Prayer Closet... 

• Love 21

I think our perceptions of this couple are clouded based on what little we've seen of them together on teevee. I would lay a bet that we would swiftly change our minds about them if they put themselves out there on social media like Joe's siblings and in-laws have. 

I wish them a happy, sparkly life together, but STAY OFF SOCIAL MEDIA so we can continue to find them likeable. 

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Cajungirl64 said:

Absolutely. The Thin Mints have been in the freezer, too. Is there anything better? I think not. 

I’m totally in and will bring extra chocolates “in case of”. Yum...frozen thin mints. That’s where my c*** ass kid gets it from (born in LA)  I’m absolutely not swearing for those of y’all whom aren’t born in the state of Louisiana. It’s what we call a native. 

• Love 2

Austin's "it was difficult to be one in heart, but not in body" comment to Joe? Um, yeah, Austin. No guy wants to think about some dude banging his sister. Even though I don't think Austin meant to be creepy, it was definitely an awkward moment.

Speaking of Joe, I think he's very sweet and genuinely fond of Kendra. He might be the rare Duggar male who'll actually turn out to be a good husband.

Joy, put some damn shoes on! Maybe she'll learn when a rusty nail jabs it's way through a cheap Walmart flip-flop. 

Jinger looked adorable this episode, but I agree with whoever said they got some kind of new furniture hook-up. Their house is too well staged to be a Duggar thrift store job. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Jinger and Jeremy should be able to really immerse themselves into Spanish.   Laredo's population is over 95% Hispanic. and Latino  It's one of the least ethically diverse cities in the country!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laredo,_Texas

I would think the residents would expect their pastor to speak their language.  

I'm going to play devil's advocate here:

How long have they lived in Laredo though? If they have gotten married late 2016, I'll guess that it has probably been about one year and a few months.

And now try to flip it where you have someone who is Hispanic/Latino who speaks Spanish and who has moved into a predominately English-speaking part of the country. It will take them a while to learn English too. As a school psychologist, I have worked with Spanish- (and other language) speaking families, some of whom have lived in the U.S. for several years and who are not fluent in English, at least the parents. Some districts I have worked have been truly diverse (mixture of White non-Hispanic, Hispanic, and Black non-Hispanic typically) although one district I worked at (in Illinois) was 90% Hispanic.

Do Jinger and Jeremy need to spend more time on their Spanish lessons? Absolutely. But I don't think they have lived in Laredo long enough to become extremely fluent. They probably have basic conversational skills. From what we have seen on the show their skills (especially Jinger's) are better than Jill and Derick's Spanish skills though.

The link I have provided below talks about academic language proficiency. The conversational skills that I referred to above needs to be considered separately from academic language. Social and adaptive language fall under basic conversational skills, which are going to emerge more quickly than academic language; Jeremy's sermons, if done well, are more likely going to fall under academic language.

https://www.wida.us/Research/agenda/AcademicLanguage/index.aspx

Edited by madpsych78
Added link
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

Michelle seemed completely unhinged at Miss Renee's dress shop when she cooed, "Ooooooooh, those capped sleeves are so precious!!!". The ensuing high-pitched giggling between Kendra, Miss Renee, and Kendra's family sounded like someone told a joke to the Munchkins and the Lollipop Guild.

Absolutely hysterical all around!  Aside from that, anyone notice how orange Michelle was?  I mean, seriously orange.  Also, who was the very tall/large woman who was part of the wedding dress audience?  Thanks. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m totally in and will bring extra chocolates “in case of”. Yum...frozen thin mints. That’s where my c*** ass kid gets it from (born in LA)  I’m absolutely not swearing for those of y’all whom aren’t born in the state of Louisiana. It’s what we call a native. 

I heard that when we lived in Bossier City. The first time I did, I was thinking wtf did I just hear?  Then it was explained. I've got some Thin Mints in the freezer and some wine in the fridge. May I join you in the prayer closet? 

Michelle's voice made my dog look up from destroying her latest toy. She cocked her head at the TV. I think her voice hurt my dogs ears. She's completely insane. 

• Love 10

I don't usually watch the show (no cable), but I had to dig around for the Michelle's "precious" moment during the dress shopping. Even with everyone's wonderful forewarning, I was not adequately prepared for how weird it was. The crazed eyes. The awkward pause. The pronunciation. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Dear God!  Jill was at Joy's birth with her medical things.....   And Joy ended up with an emergency C-section after 20 hours of labor because Gideon was BREECH!   And Jill didn't even notice!!   Clips on TLC website.   Damn Duggars just refuse to learn.  

OK, Jill is just negligent. I remember a comment about how calm she is in emergencies, or while assisting women in childbirth, but I believe it's because there is a sincere dullness between her ears and she just does NOT comprehend the lurking dangers that she needs to be on top of and prevent. If she wants to play at something get some damn dolls. She does not exude self-confidence, and seems to be playing with equipment to prove she's in charge of the Barbie dolls today.

Damn I cannot stand people playing "medical" (yes, I am a Nurse)

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I heard that when we lived in Bossier City. The first time I did, I was thinking wtf did I just hear?  Then it was explained. I've got some Thin Mints in the freezer and some wine in the fridge. May I join you in the prayer closet? 

I can’t speak for our other Cajun but if it’s at my house you are welcome to join. Ha, I better put a pot of red beans on tomorrow. Camilla brand. 

• Love 4

Regarding Babe and Jinge, I wonder if they aren't exaggerating the language barrier issues for storyline purposes. I live in Vegas which I think is around half Latino, probably more if you count undocumenteds, and in ten years I've had one instance where I wasn't able to communicate. Maybe Laredo is different because it's closer to the border, but in my experience it's not a huge deal. Either way, it's great If they're committed to learning a second language.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't usually watch the show (no cable), but I had to dig around for the Michelle's "precious" moment during the dress shopping. Even with everyone's wonderful forewarning, I was not adequately prepared for how weird it was. The crazed eyes. The awkward pause. The pronunciation. 

Agreed. I watched it tonight, and it was not oversold. There was another shot of her at the surprize party that made me cringe. She is a caricature of herself.

I truly loved Joe's thoughtfulness re: the party, but all I could think was how Kendra's family reacted. If I were that sister, I'd be like, 'can't I have one fucking minite with my sister?!"

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Agreed. I watched it tonight, and it was not oversold. There was another shot of her at the surprize party that made me cringe. She is a caricature of herself.

What did she do at the surprise party? I found a preview that included the "precious" scene, but I don't have access to the full episode. 

I really like Joe and Kendra together.  He really just seems to want to make her happy.  Not to be THE MAN or THE headship, but just for her own happiness.  The cake (no way that wasn’t pre ordered and a 2 tier cake was sitting in that nothing bakery on that desolate main street just ready to go)/pizza party was very standard Duggar/TLC so whatever, but it was a very nice gesture anyway to fly there to be there for her birthday and have dinner with her.  She was so thrilled to see him and while we didn’t need a whole rendition of – well we don’t do full front hugs but we have done ¾ hugs – it was nice that he let her just run up to him and hug like normal.

He just seems like a genuinely nice guy – Joy said he gives his sisters Valentines flowers – presumably JUST to make them happy; and we saw on his wedding day, he had written a letter to each of his siblings and was leaving them on each bed so they’d find it after he was gone.

Austin is such a dick – totally reminds me of JB.  Fits in well with the Duggars – as he just HAD TO give marital advice after 3 months of marriage.  Joe really wasn’t having it and Austin wasn’t getting it as he went on and on with how hard it is to be one in emotion but not body; how hard it is at the end.  Joe was sort of shrugging it off saying – eh I work during the days so I’m busy and I spend my evenings with Kendra.  Austin should have just moved on and stopped talking about it but like a Duggar he just HAD to give unwanted advice.  Also showed that he’s a good guy as Joe diplomatically said – Kendra and I will learn together.  Shows that he isn’t thinking – I’ve waited 22 yrs for sex, so it’s all about what I need . . . .

I thought it was funny that Joe was concerned about walking by the bridal store to the bakery and having one of the little girls scream out – there’s Joe.  LOL – go around the block and then you will approach the bakery from the other direction.  School of the dining room table . . . .

I had to look it up – Kendra’s sister Grace is about 7; Josie is about 8.  The difference is NIGHT and DAY.  Grace was speaking in full sentences with Jana – telling her the dress in the middle of the store window was adorable and later telling her that she thinks Kendra would look great in any dress.  Contrast Josie – baby talking and unintelligible.  I know the parents DGAF but how do you not notice that your child is THAT far behind!?

• Love 24

And separately -- Jing and Jer come across so "normal." It was nice to see her hanging out with another young couple and it was normal talk -- not "fellowshipping" but rather joking about who won at golf; who is a better cook; how the move went etc. And honestly given how they are raised, it is a relief to see Jing with Sueng Hai and have her talking and seeming comfortable without looking shocked by -- OMG she is sooooo different than us bc she's a different ethnicity. Not sure of her husband's ethnicity but he may not be 100% Caucasian either and it's nice to see it doesn't matter to Jinger.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here:

How long have they lived in Laredo though? If they have gotten married late 2016, I'll guess that it has probably been about one year and a few months.

And now try to flip it where you have someone who is Hispanic/Latino who speaks Spanish and who has moved into a predominately English-speaking part of the country. It will take them a while to learn English too. As a school psychologist, I have worked with Spanish- (and other language) speaking families, some of whom have lived in the U.S. for several years and who are not fluent in English, at least the parents. Some districts I have worked have been truly diverse (mixture of White non-Hispanic, Hispanic, and Black non-Hispanic typically) although one district I worked at (in Illinois) was 90% Hispanic.

Do Jinger and Jeremy need to spend more time on their Spanish lessons? Absolutely. But I don't think they have lived in Laredo long enough to become extremely fluent. They probably have basic conversational skills. From what we have seen on the show their skills (especially Jinger's) are better than Jill and Derick's Spanish skills though.

The link I have provided below talks about academic language proficiency. The conversational skills that I referred to above needs to be considered separately from academic language. Social and adaptive language fall under basic conversational skills, which are going to emerge more quickly than academic language; Jeremy's sermons, if done well, are more likely going to fall under academic language.

https://www.wida.us/Research/agenda/AcademicLanguage/index.aspx

Well, maybe, Jeremy and Jinger have language skills that they haven't shown on the show. I wouldn't begin to think they should be fluent. They did pretty well with using the phone translator. I've known people who take 6 week immersion classes in Spanish and come out having a working knowledge. 

• Love 1

We may not all fit in a closet so heck, let’s just use my place and have a pot luck. Since @Cajungirl64 began this she gets to bring the Frozen Thin Mints for desert. She also has first option to have it at her place if she rather. I’m making red beans. @QuinnInND is bringing wine and more desert and with you bringing tequila it sounds like a party. Or a good gab fest. Someone will have to Bless the food, after all, we are celebrating the Duggars Show. Dress code optional (no construction here, you can wear flip flops). 

• Love 3

All my Cajun and Louisiana fellow snarkers. I lived in Baton Rouge from 1975 to the end of 2015. I feel like an almost native and my best friend and her sisters who were born and raised in Lake Providence have adopted me as a sister. I feel alien to my New Jersey roots where I was born and lived the first 21 years of my life. Then a couple years in Brooklyn, two in Georgia, three in California and then to Baton Rouge and now Georgia again.  Food in South Louisiana is definitely fab. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, WaterSpirit said:

OK, Jill is just negligent. I remember a comment about how calm she is in emergencies, or while assisting women in childbirth, but I believe it's because there is a sincere dullness between her ears and she just does NOT comprehend the lurking dangers that she needs to be on top of and prevent. If she wants to play at something get some damn dolls. She does not exude self-confidence, and seems to be playing with equipment to prove she's in charge of the Barbie dolls today.

Damn I cannot stand people playing "medical" (yes, I am a Nurse)

Speaking of dolls, I am still waiting for someone to gift Michelle with a reborn doll.  Then she can have her baby that never grows up.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Who buys a birthday cake that looks like the top 2 tiers of a leftover wedding cake?

The dark colors were awful, too..

Duggar motto: buy used ,or probably in this case - "not picked up or wanted or made extra by baker or ... " , and save the difference.

Sorry, but the reference "Miss Renee' " sounds to me like the madam of a whorehouse.  I can't stand to watch her either. She kisses their butts and is so fake. No business owner goes to the lengths to 'court' their client like this lady does for the camera. Perhaps the free Duggar publicity has brought her a lot of business. It's all  money for her, too,

I'm certain she was of the opinion that Tori was a brat, like Joy was, too. At least Kendra seemed genuinely happy to be picking out her wedding gown...poor little girl, didn't know much better, did she?

• Love 13

The Mount Sterling, KY Chamber of Commerce is happy that Renee's Bridal Shop brings Hillbilly Royalty to their town of 7,000.

Am sure the Mt. Sterling downtown merchants slapped on some fresh paint on their shops because TLC was coming to town to do filming of their shops.

Come visit  the bridal shop, the bakery and pizza place that was prominently featured in TLC's Countin On...on your next road trip....

• Love 7
2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Speaking of dolls, I am still waiting for someone to gift Michelle with a reborn doll.  Then she can have her baby that never grows up.

Oh dear God. One of my best friend's SIL makes those. To say that they are creepy and nightmare-inducing would be an understatement.

Besides, she would just hand it off to Jana after 6 months anyway ...

• Love 20

Ok guys, I watched the episode again this afternoon...Now, I don't want to sound mean here, I really don't but I have to post what I continually 'see' here. I'll try to place this here gently....

I'm referring to Kendra's grandmother. When I first saw this woman, I really thought perhaps I'm seeing a male transvestite. I really thought I was seeing a guy in a wig and a totally unflattering skirt. I can't begin to mention the hair. Can't believe that Grammy is either of Kendra's parents' mother.  Like I said earlier, I don't want to be rude, but did any one else see this too? 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Ok guys, I watched the episode again this afternoon...Now, I don't want to sound mean here, I really don't but I have to post what I continually 'see' here. I'll try to place this here gently....

I'm referring to Kendra's grandmother. When I first saw this woman, I really thought perhaps I'm seeing a male transvestite. I really thought I was seeing a guy in a wig and a totally unflattering skirt. I can't begin to mention the hair. Can't believe that Grammy is either of Kendra's parents' mother.  Like I said earlier, I don't want to be rude, but did any one else see this too? 

OMG. I thought that, too. Kendra’s mother is absolutely gorgeous. Meet you in the Prayer Closet?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I really thought I was seeing a guy in a wig and a totally unflattering skirt. I can't begin to mention the hair.

The comment could also refer to Chelle who was warming the same couch... a foot over....

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Westiepeach...I felt badly to post that, but it's what I kept 'seeing'.

Can I bring chocolate?

Chocolate is a very good thing!

Kendra’s mother is absolutely gorgeous. Her grandmother is ... well ... a handsome woman. 

I’ll be in the Prayer Closet if anyone wants me.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, cereality said:

I really like Joe and Kendra together.  He really just seems to want to make her happy.  Not to be THE MAN or THE headship, but just for her own happiness.  The cake (no way that wasn’t pre ordered and a 2 tier cake was sitting in that nothing bakery on that desolate main street just ready to go)/pizza party was very standard Duggar/TLC so whatever, but it was a very nice gesture anyway to fly there to be there for her birthday and have dinner with her.  She was so thrilled to see him and while we didn’t need a whole rendition of – well we don’t do full front hugs but we have done ¾ hugs – it was nice that he let her just run up to him and hug like normal.

He just seems like a genuinely nice guy – Joy said he gives his sisters Valentines flowers – presumably JUST to make them happy; and we saw on his wedding day, he had written a letter to each of his siblings and was leaving them on each bed so they’d find it after he was gone.

Austin is such a dick – totally reminds me of JB.  Fits in well with the Duggars – as he just HAD TO give marital advice after 3 months of marriage.  Joe really wasn’t having it and Austin wasn’t getting it as he went on and on with how hard it is to be one in emotion but not body; how hard it is at the end.  Joe was sort of shrugging it off saying – eh I work during the days so I’m busy and I spend my evenings with Kendra.  Austin should have just moved on and stopped talking about it but like a Duggar he just HAD to give unwanted advice.  Also showed that he’s a good guy as Joe diplomatically said – Kendra and I will learn together.  Shows that he isn’t thinking – I’ve waited 22 yrs for sex, so it’s all about what I need . . . .

I thought it was funny that Joe was concerned about walking by the bridal store to the bakery and having one of the little girls scream out – there’s Joe.  LOL – go around the block and then you will approach the bakery from the other direction.  School of the dining room table . . . .

I had to look it up – Kendra’s sister Grace is about 7; Josie is about 8.  The difference is NIGHT and DAY.  Grace was speaking in full sentences with Jana – telling her the dress in the middle of the store window was adorable and later telling her that she thinks Kendra would look great in any dress.  Contrast Josie – baby talking and unintelligible.  I know the parents DGAF but how do you not notice that your child is THAT far behind!?

Agree with everything here! I love joe and Kendra together too. They both seem to want to make each other happy, and both have the personality type to be satisfied with the simple life. After the show, I'm sure joe won't mind working hard to provide, and Kendra isn't used to having a ton of money. She strikes me as the type who will be able to stretch what they have and be just fine. I think out of everybody, they have the biggest chance to be long-term happy. 

Jing and Jer are probably next, IF Jeremy can happily adjust to working a job that will likely compensate him less handsomely than TLC, AND deal with not being the center of jinger's attention once kids get here. The Vuolos seem to have fun together and have normal interests, and plus they are far away from JB and Chelle. They'll probably eventually go fundie lite and have a decently happy life. 

Bin and Jessa are right after them, in my opinion. Bin will not want his family to be without, and though he is young and inexperienced, he is a good guy. He will put aside his pride and work hard, and Jessa will likely be able to at least keep up appearances on any salary. They make a good team, and he is an involved dad. JB will likely continue to dote on Jessa if she stays the most loyal to the brand long-term.

Joy and Austin could go either way. I could see them being silently miserable, and never saying a thing about it. I could also see Austin enjoying his authoritarian role, and joy being so indifferent that she doesn't realize anything is lacking.

Jill and Derick get my vote for least happy. 

Smuggar and Anna are so far down the list that they don't even count!

• Love 13

Remember Garanimals-the matching of t shirt top with shorts/pants  by matching the same animal tags...tiger top with tiger bottom.

Miz Renee does it for wedding dresses.

Sparkly Unicorn top with medium pouffy unicorn bottom...

Yes, did notice that Josie seemed babyish compared to Kendra's little sister who finally had to turn to Jana for some conversation...Grace is a charming little girl...

• Love 14