Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
frenchtoast

S07.E04: Kendra's Birthday Surprise

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Yes, did notice that Josie seemed babyish compared to Kendra's little sister who finally had to turn to Jana for some conversation...Grace is a charming little girl...

My thoughts exactly.  Between that and Michele piping up Gothard-speak, it is as if the editing crew wants to point out their idiocy.  Gracie would fit in with the little Bates girls well, so the fact that there is intelligent life in fundie-land just points out how stupid J'chelle and  company are.

Kendra and Joe are adorable for middle-school sweethearts.  No, he is actually very thoughtful.  Austin just shut up about being 'hard'.  We understand.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, floridamom said:

Ok guys, I watched the episode again this afternoon...Now, I don't want to sound mean here, I really don't but I have to post what I continually 'see' here. I'll try to place this here gently....

I'm referring to Kendra's grandmother. When I first saw this woman, I really thought perhaps I'm seeing a male transvestite. I really thought I was seeing a guy in a wig and a totally unflattering skirt. I can't begin to mention the hair. Can't believe that Grammy is either of Kendra's parents' mother.  Like I said earlier, I don't want to be rude, but did any one else see this too? 

Ok, I am going to confess something and there is no judgement whatsoever.  One of the Duggar boys who is toying with facial hair?  No idea which vanilla boy it is.  Anyhoo, he has always looked like someone transitioning at the beginning stages when they are just starting testosterone and the hair hasn't quite come in fully.  I really wish that the Duggar kids would be welcomed should this be their path.  Or if they were gay or lesbian.  Luckily Amy might be understanding and love them regardless.  Or I am giving her too much credit.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, floridamom said:

Ok guys, I watched the episode again this afternoon...Now, I don't want to sound mean here, I really don't but I have to post what I continually 'see' here. I'll try to place this here gently....

I'm referring to Kendra's grandmother. When I first saw this woman, I really thought perhaps I'm seeing a male transvestite. I really thought I was seeing a guy in a wig and a totally unflattering skirt. I can't begin to mention the hair. Can't believe that Grammy is either of Kendra's parents' mother.  Like I said earlier, I don't want to be rude, but did any one else see this too? 

Oh my....i thought that was Michelle.  Oh well, disregard my previous post about her needing a makeover. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

Is this a new trend?  I like the idea of designing the top of the wedding gown and then having different bottoms...sort of mix and match.  Haven't seen that before.

I haven't either, but I liked it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I'm referring to Kendra's grandmother. When I first saw this woman, I really thought perhaps I'm seeing a male transvestite. 

I thought she looked like she could tote some lumber and work a plow.  Austin would have snapped her up if she'd been 40 years younger.

Quote

The cake (no way that wasn’t pre ordered and a 2 tier cake was sitting in that nothing bakery on that desolate main street

Especially one that would just happen to have a big "K" on it.  What luck!

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I thought she looked like she could tote some lumber and work a plow.  Austin would have snapped her up if she'd been 40 years younger.

Hahahaha @Angeltoes, you literally gave me my laugh for today!!!!! ????

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that the cake was so staged it was completely obvious to me. I don't think that's a birthday cake, looked more like a wedding cake left over from Tori Bates' reception.

Anyway, did you all notice the pretty white round cake with the pink scrolls along the side? That would have been a pretty and an appropriate cake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Agree with everything here! I love joe and Kendra together too. They both seem to want to make each other happy, and both have the personality type to be satisfied with the simple life. After the show, I'm sure joe won't mind working hard to provide, and Kendra isn't used to having a ton of money. She strikes me as the type who will be able to stretch what they have and be just fine. I think out of everybody, they have the biggest chance to be long-term happy. 

Jing and Jer are probably next, IF Jeremy can happily adjust to working a job that will likely compensate him less handsomely than TLC, AND deal with not being the center of jinger's attention once kids get here. The Vuolos seem to have fun together and have normal interests, and plus they are far away from JB and Chelle. They'll probably eventually go fundie lite and have a decently happy life. 

Bin and Jessa are right after them, in my opinion. Bin will not want his family to be without, and though he is young and inexperienced, he is a good guy. He will put aside his pride and work hard, and Jessa will likely be able to at least keep up appearances on any salary. They make a good team, and he is an involved dad. JB will likely continue to dote on Jessa if she stays the most loyal to the brand long-term.

Joy and Austin could go either way. I could see them being silently miserable, and never saying a thing about it. I could also see Austin enjoying his authoritarian role, and joy being so indifferent that she doesn't realize anything is lacking.

Jill and Derick get my vote for least happy. 

Smuggar and Anna are so far down the list that they don't even count!

I agree with the ranking of these couples.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I agree with the ranking of these couples.

The funny thing is, during their courtships, I would have pretty much had it backwards!

jill and Derick seemed so happy during their courtship, like they had so much in common, and seemed physically into each other. 

Jinger was obsessed with baaaaaaaabe, but I questioned if she would still like him as much after things settled down, and I was suspicious about whether Jeremy truly loved her. 

Joy and Austin seemed to at least like doing outdoorsy things together, and I saw fewer red flags in him. 

Jessa and bin had no chemistry, though he was all about her!

joe and Kendra were sooooo awkward in that first video where they announced their courtship, and I pictured her running and crying in the closet on the wedding night. 

First impressions can be deceiving!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2018 at 3:54 PM, MamaMax said:

i DETEST Miss Renee.

She is sooo over the top. I mean, how does she have the energy? I did feel sorry for her, though, with Joy's train wreck of a shopping trip. Miss Renee is probably doing it all for free in exchange for the publicity, and Joy was just acting like a sullen teenager. Oh, wait...

 

On 3/14/2018 at 6:25 PM, floridamom said:

Ok guys, I watched the episode again this afternoon...Now, I don't want to sound mean here, I really don't but I have to post what I continually 'see' here. I'll try to place this here gently....

I'm referring to Kendra's grandmother. When I first saw this woman, I really thought perhaps I'm seeing a male transvestite. I really thought I was seeing a guy in a wig and a totally unflattering skirt. I can't begin to mention the hair. Can't believe that Grammy is either of Kendra's parents' mother.  Like I said earlier, I don't want to be rude, but did any one else see this too? 

Ha. Well, she definitely did look bigger boned next to Kendra's tiny mom. Looking closely at her face, she's probably Pastor Caldwell's mom. 

2 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

My BIL used to sell work trucks as a side business and ended up selling them somewhat regularly to Gil Bates.  During the course of doing business together, my BIL and my sister ended up becoming friends with Gil and Kelly, who invited BIL/sister and their two kids over when the Duggars were visiting a few years ago.  I, of course, tagged along, and while we were just there a couple of hours, my impression of Michelle was that, generally speaking, she's just bored AF with life.  She was napping when we got there, woke up and ate a bowl of ice cream, and then spent the rest of our visit sitting at the kitchen table appearing to be....just bored.  Not rude, exactly, but just.....distant.  Disinterested.  Bored.  Exactly as she appeared at the dress shop.  And just like she did with the cap sleeves exclamation on this episode, it was like every now and then she'd remember other people were there and would pipe up with a random comment in a voice so fake-y enthusiastic it was almost cringe-worthy.

Wow. That's actually sad. Leaving aside all the snark, she probably has been clinically depressed for a long time and the syrupy act has to be draining.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Last night I watched the Bates show where Tori & sisters & Whitney went to Miss Renee's for their dresses.  Kelly said on earlier episode that a "friend" recommended Renee. I'm sure girls knew it was the Duggars but maybe it's in their contract not to name the Duggars.  When Tori &  entourage entered the store, it looked like there was a whole (nice) lunch spread for them & Renee announced it was Tori Day. Tori got her hair & makeup done by a friend of Renee.  Just thought it was funny that the Bates family got the full royal treatment from Renee & the Duggars didn't. 

ETA:  And Kelly wasn't comatose like MEchelle.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2018 at 10:59 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

The Vuolos' house is pretty nice, but since someone pointed out the spices on the windowsill, that's all I can see! I also couldn't believe how many outdoor activities they attempted in the dead heat of South Texas summer. I'm a bit to the north of Laredo (in Texas units of measure) and you could not pay me to play mini-golf or any other outside/not in a pool activity between June and September. There's a lot of great things about living in this state, but I have to admit, the weather suuuhuhuhchckkchxxxxsss. The few weeks it's not hot as hell, it's windy as hell or hailing as hell or occasionally tornado-y as hell. Then there's like two gorgeous days in April. 

Heyyy another south Texan!  I'm in the 210.

Agree, completely.  And Jinger wasn't even sweating like some of us.  I look baaaaad in the summer, frizzy hair, oily complexion, grumpy because I'm hot and sweaty all the time.   

5 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

My BIL used to sell work trucks as a side business and ended up selling them somewhat regularly to Gil Bates.  During the course of doing business together, my BIL and my sister ended up becoming friends with Gil and Kelly, who invited BIL/sister and their two kids over when the Duggars were visiting a few years ago.  I, of course, tagged along, and while we were just there a couple of hours, my impression of Michelle was that, generally speaking, she's just bored AF with life.  She was napping when we got there, woke up and ate a bowl of ice cream, and then spent the rest of our visit sitting at the kitchen table appearing to be....just bored.  Not rude, exactly, but just.....distant.  Disinterested.  Bored.  Exactly as she appeared at the dress shop.  And just like she did with the cap sleeves exclamation on this episode, it was like every now and then she'd remember other people were there and would pipe up with a random comment in a voice so fake-y enthusiastic it was almost cringe-worthy.

This has to be one of the best posts EVER on here.  I love hearing these real life situations.  I could see Michelle, all lazy and tired and antisocial but I bet if cameras were there, the minute they started filming, Michelle would all of a sudden become peppy and sugary sweet.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShaNaeNae said:

Heyyy another south Texan!  I'm in the 210.

Not really the south part but definitely a Texan. And I love visiting the 210!

Do you remember the Rent is Too Damn High Party in New York? I’ve thought about starting the Weather is Too Damn Hot Party here. Can I count on your vote this November? ?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Not really the south part but definitely a Texan. And I love visiting the 210!

Do you remember the Rent is Too Damn High Party in New York? I’ve thought about starting the Weather is Too Damn Hot Party here. Can I count on your vote this November? ?

East Texas here. I will join your Weather is Too Damn Hot Party. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

You are referring to the newly engaged Josiah with the patchy facial hair reminiscent of a case of mange....

No its one of the younger ones. I am pretty sure its Jason

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Not really the south part but definitely a Texan. And I love visiting the 210!

Do you remember the Rent is Too Damn High Party in New York? I’ve thought about starting the Weather is Too Damn Hot Party here. Can I count on your vote this November? ?

Girlfriend you can most def count on my vote!  I can buy loads of chocolate just to prove how hot.  Shows how fast it melts before I can eat it.  Starlightlost, get yo hot East Texas arse this way too.  Mabye after we can go stalking the Vuolo's house.  And pretend we're fundies so we can go to his church.  Chocolate & Church PTV Weather is Too Damn Hot party.  I'm in!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really understand what Renee gets out of this. If I lived in the rural South and had money to burn, I'd probably fly to Atlanta or Dallas to go wedding dress shopping because you'd have a much bigger selection to choose from. Most Fundie brides are serving powdered lemonade and potato chips at their receptions. Who in the Duggars' circle is balling out of control to where they can fly a dozen relatives to Bumblefuck, KY to pick out the same dress they could've found at their local bridal shop back home? I wonder if Renee is really seeing an uptick in business or she's just a big famewhore.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

No its one of the younger ones. I am pretty sure its Jason

Jason is doing a sort of Frasier on Cheers look. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, becca3891 said:

Ha. Well, she definitely did look bigger boned next to Kendra's tiny mom. Looking closely at her face, she's probably Pastor Caldwell's mom.

You just can never tell which traits are going to be passed on, and from which parents.  And traits that look good on one individual may look terrible on another.  My late father-in-law was a very nice-looking man. I never knew his parents--both died before I joined the family--but the first time I saw a picture of his mother as a young woman, I was stunned at how homely she was. Upon further examination I realized that she looked exactly like my FIL, but with a woman's clothing and hairstyle. We're talking full-on "Norman Bates as Mother."

Edited by Portia
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, becca3891 said:

She is sooo over the top. I mean, how does she have the energy? I did feel sorry for her, though, with Joy's train wreck of a shopping trip. Miss Renee is probably doing it all for free in exchange for the publicity, and Joy was just acting like a sullen teenager. Oh, wait...

 

Ha. Well, she definitely did look bigger boned next to Kendra's tiny mom. Looking closely at her face, she's probably Pastor Caldwell's mom. 

Wow. That's actually sad. Leaving aside all the snark, she probably has been clinically depressed for a long time and the syrupy act has to be draining.

That makes sense, probably because she isn't having more babies. 

4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Last night I watched the Bates show where Tori & sisters & Whitney went to Miss Renee's for their dresses.  Kelly said on earlier episode that a "friend" recommended Renee. I'm sure girls knew it was the Duggars but maybe it's in their contract not to name the Duggars.  When Tori &  entourage entered the store, it looked like there was a whole (nice) lunch spread for them & Renee announced it was Tori Day. Tori got her hair & makeup done by a friend of Renee.  Just thought it was funny that the Bates family got the full royal treatment from Renee & the Duggars didn't. 

ETA:  And Kelly wasn't comatose like MEchelle.  

She seems very full of life and enjoying it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2018 at 10:55 PM, luvmylabs said:

Is this a new trend?  I like the idea of designing the top of the wedding gown and then having different bottoms...sort of mix and match.  Haven't seen that before.

There was a show on TLC a few years that showcased a gown designer from Louisiana (?) called Bride by Design.  She created a line called "Build-A-Bride".  She started with a very plain, white gown, and things could be added--sleeves, different skirts, belts, etc.  Like annoying-as-hell Renee, she would name each dress after the bride.  The difference being this woman was talented, so incredibly sweet, and not bat-shit crazy.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

"Kendra's Birthday Surprise"...what is TLC thinking here? This episode title sounds like the Dick and Jane first grade readers I had as a child.

Oh, wait, Kendra IS a child.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
On 2018-03-17 at 6:47 AM, floridamom said:

"Kendra's Birthday Surprise"...what is TLC thinking here? This episode title sounds like the Dick and Jane first grade readers I had as a child.

 

Or porn with a "plot".

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/17/2018 at 6:47 AM, floridamom said:

"Kendra's Birthday Surprise"...what is TLC thinking here? This episode title sounds like the Dick and Jane first grade readers I had as a child.

Oh, wait, Kendra IS a child.

Titling isn’t the Duggar TLC promotion department’s strong suit - they ALL remind me of Dick and Jane - but can you blame them, considering what they have to work with?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the link! I've been reading recaps of earlier episodes, too. They're hilarious!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, luvmylabs said:

Is this a new trend?  I like the idea of designing the top of the wedding gown and then having different bottoms...sort of mix and match.  Haven't seen that before.

TLC’s “Say Yes to the Dress” favorite “stripper fairy wedding dress” designer, Pnina Tornai, often helps clients mix and match her wedding dress tops and bottoms...all for the bargain price of $8,000 to $16,000.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, libgirl2 said:

That makes sense, probably because she isn't having more babies. 

Totally agree.  I'm sure she doesn't believe she has much of a purpose - all of the attention she got only because of the amount of kids she had and a TV show that now focuses on her kids, not her and her babies. She doesn't know what to do with herself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/13/2018 at 4:42 PM, Westiepeach said:

Yeah, there was no way that cake just "happened" to be sitting there front and center ...

IMO it would have been more impressive if Joe had said he planned ahead and ordered the cake, than him just showing up and hoping they would have a decent cake that he could get personalized and delivered. I would have appreciated his foresight.

Also... what was John doing unsupervised all day before Joe got there? He made a point of saying he was not joining the ladies at the dress shop...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LolaGeek said:

IMO it would have been more impressive if Joe had said he planned ahead and ordered the cake, than him just showing up and hoping they would have a decent cake that he could get personalized and delivered. I would have appreciated his foresight.

Also... what was John doing unsupervised all day before Joe got there? He made a point of saying he was not joining the ladies at the dress shop...

Napping in the plane and going to the racetrack.  Just guessing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’m watching the episode now- michelle looks more deranged than usual. And her skin is a color that does not naturally occur in humans. 

 

@floridamom Pastor Caldwell’s Mom does have a more masculine look to her. I did not think I was seeing a transgender woman or a man that was cross dressing (because this is the Duggar circus). She is the type of woman who (in her youth) with the right clothing and hair style would’ve been statuesque, and who’s face could’ve taken a lot of different makeup looks; but the NO skin care/makeup, shapeless clothes, later years and lack of hairstyle makes her look rough....... compared to someone like Michelle who looks a hot mess but has dainty facial features and a feminine body shape even after 19 kids. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, LolaGeek said:

IMO it would have been more impressive if Joe had said he planned ahead and ordered the cake, than him just showing up and hoping they would have a decent cake that he could get personalized and delivered. I would have appreciated his foresight.

Also... what was John doing unsupervised all day before Joe got there? He made a point of saying he was not joining the ladies at the dress shop...

I have no idea why they decided to obviously lie about the cake being ordered beforehand. I agree; it would have shown more foresight (even if the idea was really a producer's) and telling the truth is always preferable to reality TV scripted lines.

23 hours ago, Love2dance said:

TLC’s “Say Yes to the Dress” favorite “stripper fairy wedding dress” designer, Pnina Tornai, often helps clients mix and match her wedding dress tops and bottoms...all for the bargain price of $8,000 to $16,000.

Yikes! That price makes sense, though. So poor Miss Renee is willing to give that up and go through her sugary act over and over again in the (probably true) hopes that diehard fans will travel to her shop to pay full price for custom dresses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

starlightlost: I highly doubt that the Caldwell television is hooked up to any cable or broadcast. I'm sure it's used ONLY to watch inspirational videos.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/19/2018 at 3:00 PM, LolaGeek said:

IMO it would have been more impressive if Joe had said he planned ahead and ordered the cake, than him just showing up and hoping they would have a decent cake that he could get personalized and delivered. I would have appreciated his foresight.

Also... what was John doing unsupervised all day before Joe got there? He made a point of saying he was not joining the ladies at the dress shop...

Poor Joe.  He's a little dim, but he seems very sweet & loves Kendra.  Bless his heart.

If JD was smart (yeah, yeah, I know), he would have been at a bar up the street.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

JD is with his home fries...other pilots.

Production made him come into town to help Joe with the decorating and to show the brotherly love between the 2.

was JD Joe’s best man?

Share this post


Link to post
On 2018-03-15 at 12:48 PM, sheshark said:

Austin just shut up about being 'hard'.  We understand.

None of them have the word "difficult" in their vocabulary, apparently. Courtship is always "hard". 

On 2018-03-15 at 7:08 PM, floridamom said:

Anyway, did you all notice the pretty white round cake with the pink scrolls along the side? That would have been a pretty and an appropriate cake.

Yes! I thought that too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×