Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Kendra's Birthday Surprise

• Start Topic

Jinger and Jeremy play host to their friends from NYC. It's Kendra's birthday and she heads to Kentucky to pick out her wedding dress. Unfortunately that means she'll be away from Joe or will she? He has a big birthday surprise up his sleeve.

Kendra and Lauren appear to be close.  When they were hugging in the bridal shop, it reminded me of Jessa and Jinger on Jessa’s wedding day.  These day, J & J seem more like casual acquaintances.  Hopefully, the same fate won’t befall Kendra and her sister.

The montage of the grooms tearing up when they saw their brides made my eyes water.  It’s probably just allergies. 

So, are Anna and Jill also banished from TLC?   

• Love 5

I'm on the West coast and the show doesn't air till 9 and I ALWAYS fall asleep during it!  So I watched early on TLC TO GO, which I Chromecast to my TV.

Naturally, Michelle had to wear The Green Shirt in Kentucky at Miss Renee's Bridal shop.  I think she has a whole closet of varying versions of this blouse.  This one was 3/4th sleeves, and pea green.

Kendra was super orange and all the close ups of her face make her appear so chipmonkish.

Jana was featured alot, singing the praises of Kendra's sparkly dress.

Jinger and Jeremy played put put golf with friends and it was so boring.  But Jinger looked so cute in a navy and white striped dress with a fitted waist and it was short!

John David and Joe decorate for Kendra's surprise birthday and that was all Boring. But the cake that Joe bought, which I'm sure was all pre-planned, was very lovely. It looked like her wedding dress.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Kendra and Lauren appear to be close.  When they were hugging in the bridal shop, it reminded me of Jessa and Jinger on Jessa’s wedding day.  These day, J & J seem more like casual acquaintances.  Hopefully, the same fate won’t befall Kendra and her sister.

The montage of the grooms tearing up when they saw their brides made my eyes water.  It’s probably just allergies. 

So, are Anna and Jill also banished from TLC?   

Jill was on briefly talking about finding her dress.

• Love 1

I didn't mind this episode because there was a sufficient amount of Jessa and Joy (i.e., not a lot or at all) and didn't mind the Vuolos and Joe. Gracie was cute but did not need to see Precious Miracle. 

I'm wondering if Kendra's grandmother is Pastor Caldwell's mother, she doesn't look like Christine. I wouldn't be surprised if Grandma Caldwell isn't that much older than Michelle.

The Vuolo scenes seemed like this totally separate universe, like they were just like this different family that had nothing to do with the rest of the Duggars. I don't know if that makes sense. Like the only time JinJer was included with the rest of the Duggars was the flashback scenes to Jinger's dress and their wedding inserted with the others. They didn't even do talking heads about their own wedding or JoKen.

• Love 6

I enjoy Jinger and Jeremy. Not for show purposes but they seem to be able to hold a natural conversation and enjoy themselves with other people. They act like my adult kids and their spouses do. That's all I have for the show. Lol

Edited by Annb67
  • Love 18

This is the first time in a long time I've watched. I usually just read here. But Jeremy and Jingers house is really nice IMO. Neat, clean and nicely decorated from what I could see. 

Kendra looks about 14....how old is she again? 

• Love 6

I've got nothing to say about the show yet....I'm just amused by the commercials....Revlon (using a song that needed censoring), a dulcolax commercial narrated by a female engineer, and one for Henry's Hard Soda haha

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

This is the first time in a long time I've watched. I usually just read here. But Jeremy and Jingers house is really nice IMO. Neat, clean and nicely decorated from what I could see. 

Kendra looks about 14....how old is she again? 

Kendra turned 19 during this episode. Yes, she'll be the first Duggar Teen Mom with Lauren not far behind sometime early next year. 

• Love 4

Oh Joe, “I don’t think she has a clue.” Honey, have you met your girl? She’s sweet, but not exactly the sharpest. Joe’s constant use of “whenever I” isn’t exactly doing him any favors either.

Jinger’s face when Jeremy told her to wave to the golf crowd was awesome, I love she’s still got spunk and she’s not afraid to show it. Jeremy might see her as his to shape and mold, but I think he absolutely loves her and is proud of everything she does, as seemingly mundane as they are.

• Love 21

The Vuolos' house is pretty nice, but since someone pointed out the spices on the windowsill, that's all I can see! I also couldn't believe how many outdoor activities they attempted in the dead heat of South Texas summer. I'm a bit to the north of Laredo (in Texas units of measure) and you could not pay me to play mini-golf or any other outside/not in a pool activity between June and September. There's a lot of great things about living in this state, but I have to admit, the weather suuuhuhuhchckkchxxxxsss. The few weeks it's not hot as hell, it's windy as hell or hailing as hell or occasionally tornado-y as hell. Then there's like two gorgeous days in April. 

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I also couldn't believe how many outdoor activities they attempted in the dead heat of South Texas summer. I'm a bit to the north of Laredo (in Texas units of measure) and you could not pay me to play mini-golf or any other outside/not in a pool activity between June and September. There's a lot of great things about living in this state, but I have to admit, the weather suuuhuhuhchckkchxxxxsss. The few weeks it's not hot as hell, it's windy as hell or hailing as hell or occasionally tornado-y as hell. Then there's like two gorgeous days in April. 

This! My husband is from Houston, and we visited his parents during the summer. I thought I would die. It was probably the humidity, since I was living in Vegas when we met and that's like living in a blast furnace. But we didn't do anything that didn't involve the pool or AC. 

• Love 5

Dear God!  Jill was at Joy's birth with her medical things.....   And Joy ended up with an emergency C-section after 20 hours of labor because Gideon was BREECH!   And Jill didn't even notice!!   Clips on TLC website.   Damn Duggars just refuse to learn.  

• Love 18
20 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Dear God!  Jill was at Joy's birth with her medical things.....   And Joy ended up with an emergency C-section after 20 hours of labor because Gideon was BREECH!   And Jill didn't even notice!!   Clips on TLC website.   Damn Duggars just refuse to learn.  

Being discussed on Joy's thread. :)

• Love 1

Jinger and Jeremy are about as refreshing as th we couples come.  Their banter is natural and she manages to speak two sentences without looking to him to finish her thought.  It’s almost like he WANTS her to have complete thoughts.  He might be molding her but at least she can interact with people who aren’t direct descendants of the cult she grew up in.

Kendra is adorable. Gosh, she’s so young but she’d be a fun college roommate. 

• Love 13

I like Joe and Kendra together. He’s the first husband (aside from Ben) who’s not setting off warning bells in my head. Plus since Kendra’s not a Duggar, I’m not getting my usual bride vibe, which is she’s just getting married to escape her family. 

• Love 12

Kendra is so adorable. She reminds me of one of my cousins when she was younger.  They have similar teeth.  I like that look.  Seriously, I've liked that look since my younger days and love for the Osmonds. lol

Michelle really does need to reconsider her style.  She's had at least one makeover that she abandoned, but she really does need to think about it again.  Her hair and clothes style are really dating her.  She's really out of it with her look.  I mean, other religious ladies have updated looks.  It's like she's stuck in time.  I would imagine that it's embarrassing. My mother is religious and 75 years old and has more style and pride in her appearance than Michelle.  It's rather sad. What's wrong with her? 

I giggled at the part where Joe says there's no point in educating yourself about sex if you can't actually do the deed. lol  

• Love 15

Did they not show Josie talking because she needs to be captioned and the little Kendra sister doesn't?

Joy was pregnant during the reconstruction of their home, imagine the shit she inhaled during that time. 

They so mess with the timelines. Jin & Jer bought their home 6 months after they were married and the scenes with their friends were filmed 8 months into their marriage.

Ben & Jessa "didn't do that great" with their courting rules. I've said all along the reason they didn't have their 1st kiss at the alter was because it wasn't their first kiss.

And my goodness sex should not be the only reason to get married. Sex is one small part of a partnership, not the main part. Austin now knows he "has self-control" because he didn't do the wild thing prior to marriage. I can think of 100 other ways to practice self-control.

I have to admit a couple scenes with Joe and Kendra made me smile.

Is Michelle so used to the cameras or so disinterested that she spaces out into Lala Land and spurts out a nonsensical Duggard/Gothard phrase on command? I think Joy is going to be Michelle 2.0.

• Love 15

I would be petrified to get on that plane John David was flying. Nothing against him but he always seems asleep at the wheel. No fucking thank you.

Is the bottom of Kendra's dress going to be as plain as we saw? All of them needed some sparkle or something. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

Michelle seemed completely unhinged at Miss Renee's dress shop when she cooed, "Ooooooooh, those capped sleeves are so precious!!!". The ensuing high-pitched giggling between Kendra, Miss Renee, and Kendra's family sounded like someone told a joke to the Munchkins and the Lollipop Guild.

Exactly what I came here to comment on. This was the only part of the show I saw. She was very orange and very glassy eyed. Really, Michelle? Capped leaves are so preh-shaaaassss? She was high, right?

• Love 18
10 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

and you could not pay me to play mini-golf or any other outside/not in a pool activity between June and September.

Haha, that's how I feel here in Florida, too. I hibernate all summer long unless I'm in my pool. I definitely live in the wrong state. 

I still have a soft spot for Jinge and Jer. 

Kendra is sooooo young. 

Michelle is on sedatives, right?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Jill was on briefly talking about finding her dress.

I think they dug this TH out of the archives. 

9 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

That little Gracie is adorable. Her conversations with Jana in the bridal shop were cute.

Well she certainly couldn't carry on a conversation like that with Josie.  I do give Josie a pass - how many of these fittings has she been to? She's not interested in the first place& has to be bored.  This was all new to Gracie.

Why didn't Joe approach the pizza shop from the other direction if he was worried he'd be seen? I actually thought JD was just an older customer entering the pizza shop & then realized it was him. Boy those guys really don't age well.  I was expecting a little more than a pizza shop when Joe told the bakery lady about surprising Kendra in a nice restaurant (paraphrasing).  I should know by now the Duggar's bar isn't raised too high regarding restaurants & the pizza shop was next door to the bridal shop.

I loved Jinge's striped dress.  I'm not sure it was the best choice for mini golf where you have to bend over a lot but I thought she looked cute.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Love Jingers dress at the golf place. Very cute and age appropriate! And knees!! NIKE!! 

YES!  The striped, fairly short dress was fantastic! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Michelle is on sedatives, right?

I think her brain has been cultified to the point where she always sounds like she is on drugs. Although I do sort of wonder if this is how she behaves all the time or if this is just her public persona. Either way, she's clearly not all there.

2 hours ago, TipseyGirl said:

Exactly what I came here to comment on. This was the only part of the show I saw. She was very orange and very glassy eyed. Really, Michelle? Capped leaves are so preh-shaaaassss? She was high, right?

The thing is, she speaks exactly the same way in all the recent episodes she appears in. I forget which episode it was, but there was a scene where she was talking to Josie about letting Jill/Derick (I think?) borrow her old crib and her eyes nearly bugged out of her head while she was overenunciating. It was talked about here at the time. I think she lost whatever was left of her sanity long ago.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, skippy said:

Joe and Kendra are refreshingly uncomplicated and sweet.  They may not be the sharpest tools in the shed, but they seem genuine, unlike most everyone else in this family.

I agree. Kendra especially seems very genuine with her personality and reactions. The Duggar kids all seem to have very similar temperaments. I think some of the Bates kids can be annoying, but they all seem to have different personalities and such. The Duggar's seem to be robots.

I was just happy that Joe did not take Kendra out for a drippy sundae, or did he? I do not follow any of these fools on social media.

I will be at my table for one with not being enamored with Jinger and Jeremy. 

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Jeremy gives me the creeps. There’s something off with him. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Is it Renee's Bridal?

Yes it was. With the lovely Renee designing again. Most of them sounded like they were inhaling helium. But Kendra's mom? Holy cow - if Kendra ages like that....

• Love 3

Unfortunately, Kendrab's physicality takes after the Granny warming the couch with Chelle...but Joe doesn't seem to mind...more cush to push, if you get my drift....

JOe is one smitten boy...and Kendrab is equally smitten... it would be sweet if this puppy love wasn't leading to marriage...

A surprised Kendrab's rushing and tackling Joe in the pizza place almost took him off his feet...cute.

JOe has some guns...all that fervent side hugging has toned his biceps

Who buys a birthday cake that looks like the top 2 tiers of a leftover wedding cake?

The dark colors were awful, too..

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I agree. Kendra especially seems very genuine with her personality and reactions. The Duggar kids all seem to have very similar temperaments. I think some of the Bates kids can be annoying, but they all seem to have different personalities and such. The Duggar's seem to be robots.

I was just happy that Joe did not take Kendra out for a drippy sundae, or did he? I do not follow any of these fools on social media.

I'll join you at the table!!! I think they are the most modern duggar couple, and look great compared to the family. I look forward to seeing their posts on Instagram, because they are quite fashionable and do fun things. However, compared to people in the real world? Not very impressive. If the most exciting thing about a couple is that they can have a conversation together, the girl wears pants, and they waited a year to conceive, that's a pretty low bar compared to normal couples. We can say all day that Jinger wasn't raised in the real world, so she gets a bit of a pass from me, but Jeremy was. Jeremy reminds me of my extremely entitled ex that I dated as a teen/young adult, whose father had a good job. He expected to live a certain lifestyle even without working, and his parents funded his constant expensive new outfits (he was a fashionista, kind of like Jeremy), excursions, and basically every whim until he reached his thirties, and then insisted he at least do something more than his very part time gig if he wanted those perks (also like Jeremy). I'm happy for Jinger, because by extension she gets to live a lifestyle she's never dreamed of, but deserves after years of likely being financially stiffed by Boob. When the show ends, I feel like this cutesy marriage will be a little less adorable when Jeremy has to figure out what he's really doing with his life that can support at least two other people. It will likely be all the way back to the drawing board, because to continue as a "pastor" will almost certainly means he has to attend a real seminary. I wonder if he will regret not using the MBA that he has (as does my ex, btw, who has never even attempted to use his). At least they have a house, but the days of working maybe one or two days a week and living an upper middle class lifestyle will be gone, and I can see it being a tough adjustment for Jeremy. It reminds me of when I was maybe in college, and my family stayed at a nice beach resort every year, which was right down the road from a huge outlet center. We would all go and buy nice clothes with my dad's money, and then dress up in our latest fashions and all take pictures before we went out to dinner. Still, we understood the difference between vacation and reality. I hope Jeremy does!

Jinger will probably be okay when they adjust their lifestyle, as she grew up with less money, but she may even have to work, because most moms do these days, and Jeremy doesn't strike me as against women working. I could see Jinger's housewife career not being worth it to him if it meant the difference between buying clothes at Banana Republic versus Walmart. I wonder if he will also regret not choosing a wife with any kind of skills. Being the "teacher" for Jinger might be fun until he realizes she can't contribute much to the family's income. However, I do believe that he loves her for who she is, despite the teacher role. I'm not saying they have a bad marriage at all, but it's easy to have a perfect marriage / life when you have zero worries about living an upper middle class life without having to work a real job. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 11

It was nice to see Jinger and Jeremy having a fun time with their friends. Their friends seem like really nice, normal people.

Kendra's mother looks so young! I really thought she was a cousin and that the grandmother was Kendra's mother. I laughed when Michelle asked Miss Renee to describe the style of one of skirts, and Miss Renee said she calls it a "fun" skirt. Maybe it's because I am used to Randy describing styles with professional design terms on Say Yes to the Dress, but Miss Renee sounds like she doesn't have much of a vocabulary.

I was a little surprised by Ben admitting that he and Jessa made mistakes while courting. I bet they kissed before the wedding day. So much for the chaperones!

7 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I have no idea what he does for a job, but of all the Duggar boys, he seems like the best emotional catch.

I totally agree with you. When one of the sisters (Joy?) said that he always gives them flowers for Valentine's Day, I realized that Kendra has the best chance of all of the women marrying into the family to have a supportive, loving spouse.

• Love 12

Jana needed to remedicate her mother because she was making noises instead of sitting quietly as promised to TLC...more quiet medicine for Chelle.

Sad for Kendrab when she said she's never had such a nice birthday cake...Welcome to TLC picking up the tab Mrs. Dugg-To-Be...there's more fake TLC parties if you can keep the show from getting cancelled...

• Love 10

JD seems like he is 50 years old. Is Jeremy a minister or what does he do? Really, what do any of them do?? I do not follow them closely at all. Was flipping channels last night and watched. 

I wish Jana would find someone normal. Would that even be possible?

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Pickles said:

JD seems like he is 50 years old. Is Jeremy a minister or what does he do? Really, what do any of them do?? I do not follow them closely at all. Was flipping channels last night and watched. 

I wish Jana would find someone normal. Would that even be possible?

I wonder about Jana. I do hope good things come her way.  You know it gets awkward with more and more older siblings leaving, marrying, having their own families.  Still, she's likely the smartest, imo.  But, staying in that house......omg, I wish she could find some happiness and just goof off and be lazy, silly, funny, etc.  without being in charge of things and people.  I wonder if she's ever had a real vacation where she wasn't responsible for other children. 

I also still wonder about this:

Spoiler

I read years ago that Jana was in love with one of the TLC crew members, but, it wasn't an approved relationship.  (Not sure why.)  I wonder if she's still pining over the person or if they still see each other.  Anyone know?

• Love 9

@Christina87 Jeremy doesn't have an MBA. He did 1 year towards it at Syracuse because he had a year of soccer eligibility left, but he never completed it. 

I read somewhere that those cakes had to be ordered a week in advance, not to mention there were purple balloons, so that wasn't as spontaneous as they wanted it to look. 

• Love 4