Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: A Whole New You

Drogo
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Jillybean said:

MySpace? Seriously??

That was weird, wasn't it? But I muted the scene and looked away pretty quickly so I didn't hear if they had any explanation as to why those young women would be on MySpace.

On 3/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, Mama No Life said:

So stupid question....if Karen came "home" to Hen, and Karen left Hen in the grocery parking lot to make dinner for Denny.....where the hell does Denny live?  

That's what I was wondering too. Because Denny is Hen's son - unless when they married legally, Karen adopted Denny legally. But I don't think that is the case since the bio mom and Hen's ex wanted to get custody.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That was weird, wasn't it? But I muted the scene and looked away pretty quickly so I didn't hear if they had any explanation as to why those young women would be on MySpace.

If they did, I missed it.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2018 at 12:36 PM, Clanstarling said:

The station this airs on locally has refused to contract with the new cable company - so all that airs on that channel is a whiny message from the cable company about how mean and unreasonable they are. Anyway, I guess that's fortunate, because I missed the promos and watched this on my soon to expire free Hulu.

Maybe she'll come back interesting. Cause though I love Connie, this character has been fairly dull.

I was exactly the opposite. I could not watch the screen during the decomp guy (even muted the tv), but half-man I was okay with.

I knew right away that the "British" wife at the beginning wasn't British - there was a story going around the internet about a real life case. I never read the details, but the accent bit stuck with me.

I have never been much of a fan of Buck, or the actor who plays him, but I thought he did a great job in this episode. Buck struggling to say the right, supportive, thing was nicely done, and made me like him, while I've always been meh at best.

Me too. She was overdoing it on the slang.

• Love 1

I basically inhaled this season over the last day and a half.  I love it!  It reminds me a bit of the wackiness of Boston Legal but set in the 911/paramedic world, with the craziness of the Six Feet Under opening deaths that here are used as emergency calls.

My one regret is that the show saddled the Krause character with being (at least partially) responsible for 150 deaths.  I wish they wouldn't have done that.  It turned what was supposed to be a "good for you" moment of throwing away his "guilt book", into a (in at least my mind) 'hey asshole, pick that damn book up, you'll never save enough lives to atone for what you did, so don't be so smug about everything on your way to date Angela Basset" moment.  But for that tiny detail in the character background, this is the most I've liked any character played by Krause in ages. 

Bring on Season 2!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

The motorcycle storyline bugged me. I didn't think Mid-life Crisis Guy seemed like someone who would have a motorcycle license. I didn't think a pretty young woman would wave at him, especially since he was decked out in head-to-toe vinyl (or pleather) and looked completely ridiculous. My husband and I rewound and re-watched the accident scene 3 times, and we still couldn't tell exactly what caused the accident or exactly what happened. 

I didn't know that Connie B may not return (I don't blame her) but Abby going off to Ireland for an indefinite period of time seemed unlikely. I do understand her desire to travel, but unless she had previously been to Ireland, I'm not sure how she knew she would want to stay there for months.

Abby going off to Ireland for an indefinite period of time seemed unlikely. I do understand her desire to travel, but unless she had previously been to Ireland, I'm not sure how she knew she would want to stay there for months.

Yeah, I don't think you can just show up in a foreign country and go "Hey, I'm gonna live here now." You need to own property there or have a job there or something. At least that's the way it works in Australia.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:52 AM, Jillybean said:

I didn't know that Connie B may not return (I don't blame her) but Abby going off to Ireland for an indefinite period of time seemed unlikely. I do understand her desire to travel, but unless she had previously been to Ireland, I'm not sure how she knew she would want to stay there for months.

Ireland allows US citizens to visit the country for up to 90 days for tourism purposes without a visa.  She could spend three months visiting without any concerns by the Irish government.  I suspect she want to visit the town/towns her mother's family was from, try to find other relatives, and the like, which can take some time.  I don't have a problem with that as a story line.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Ireland allows US citizens to visit the country for up to 90 days for tourism purposes without a visa.  She could spend three months visiting without any concerns by the Irish government.  I suspect she want to visit the town/towns her mother's family was from, try to find other relatives, and the like, which can take some time.  I don't have a problem with that as a story line.

Thanks for the info. I figured that kind of stay needed a visa, and that she'd gone ahead and gotten one, just in case. Though that would have been awfully quick.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I don't think you can just show up in a foreign country and go "Hey, I'm gonna live here now." You need to own property there or have a job there or something. At least that's the way it works in Australia.

It seems to be the most realistic thing in this show. ?

• Love 1
On 3/27/2018 at 10:52 AM, Jillybean said:

Abby going off to Ireland for an indefinite period of time seemed unlikely. I do understand her desire to travel, but unless she had previously been to Ireland, I'm not sure how she knew she would want to stay there for months.

On 4/2/2018 at 4:45 PM, iMonrey said:

Hey, maybe Abby will show up on "House Hunters International" on HGTV with a phony backstory. ?

• Love 1

I love love loved the pilot of this show. Now I feel like it's turned into almost a parody of a Chicago fire or something along those lines. I did enjoy the not dead guy though House did that one years ago. The motorcycle guy sliced in half was horrific. I think Abby and buck were cute at times but not believable. Abby looked like bucks mother when they were together. The guy playing buck looks, like he just turned 20 and while Connie Britton is a beautiful woman the dorky pink glasses didn't do her any favors and just made her look like she was trying to look younger but she looked frumpy. The actress is 52 I believe and trying to play 10 years younger just didnt work for her IMO. She was playing the character like a giggly teenager. Everyone swooning over Abby like she was such an amazing woman had me scratching my head. And not sure what she'd see in Buck aside from sex. I found it strange that a 40 something year old woman would be "really freaked out" about her younger boyfriend getting attention from girls on my space. I'm sure an adult would get that it was A misunderstanding and trust their partner. 

Also didn't like that Hen was forgiven so, quickly. Sorry but you absolutely do not cheat on someone you love. There is no gray area. And it was especially disrespectful and disgusting for Hen to betray her wife with the junkie felon ex who her wife already had concerns  and issues with. Especially after hen rejected her wife when she wanted sex to turn around and  sleep with her gross ex. Unforgivable IMO. 

I did like Athena and Bobby. I'm glad Athena is moving on. Good for chim too. 

I did enjoy some of the calls they went on. I may tune in next season.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, kira28 said:

I love love loved the pilot of this show. Now I feel like it's turned into almost a parody of a Chicago fire or something along those lines. I did enjoy the not dead guy though House did that one years ago. The motorcycle guy sliced in half was horrific. I think Abby and buck were cute at times but not believable. Abby looked like bucks mother when they were together. The guy playing buck looks, like he just turned 20 and while Connie Britton is a beautiful woman the dorky pink glasses didn't do her any favors and just made her look like she was trying to look younger but she looked frumpy. The actress is 52 I believe and trying to play 10 years younger just didnt work for her IMO. She was playing the character like a giggly teenager. Everyone swooning over Abby like she was such an amazing woman had me scratching my head. And not sure what she'd see in Buck aside from sex. I found it strange that a 40 something year old woman would be "really freaked out" about her younger boyfriend getting attention from girls on my space. I'm sure an adult would get that it was A misunderstanding and trust their partner. 

Also didn't like that Hen was forgiven so, quickly. Sorry but you absolutely do not cheat on someone you love. There is no gray area. And it was especially disrespectful and disgusting for Hen to betray her wife with the junkie felon ex who her wife already had concerns  and issues with. Especially after hen rejected her wife when she wanted sex to turn around and  sleep with her gross ex. Unforgivable IMO. 

I did like Athena and Bobby. I'm glad Athena is moving on. Good for chim too. 

I did enjoy some of the calls they went on. I may tune in next season.  

Really, really gross ex.

• Love 3

I did not watch this show until the season 2 premiere and liked it enough to buy the first season from Amazon Prime. We finished watching season one today. Were watching this episode and my husband commented on the motorcycle guy, "they're really not going to foreshadow this so hard, right? They're not going to kill him now?" I replied, "well, it's a Ryan Murphy show, so...yes?"

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2

I really honestly thought that Buck was being played by model Matthew Noszka, but then I looked it up and it's actually an actor named Oliver Stark. Man. I'm getting my blond hunks mixed up. (Matthew is on Star, the Empire spinoff, but I'm not quite in the mood to look that up.)

I have had a thing for daddy Andy Buckley so I felt bad he died so brutally in this. Dude is just a nice slab of dadmeat. (Well, half meat in this episode.)

Edited by methodwriter85

Just finished binging S1 on Hulu. For a season finale this episode pulled waaaaaay too many rabbits out of hats. To cite the most obvious, if Ryan Murphy had known Connie Britton wasn't coming back for S2, the writers should have scripted her exit so that it didn't coalesce at the 11th hour (literally). Same for Athena/Bobby. I'm all for it but, please, let's have some foregrounding instead of jump-cutting from the first date to (in S2:1) Bobby's couch .... although Angela Bassett and Peter Krause have mad chemistry, so I can hand wave that they maybe had hot, impulse sex on the first date. And the writers really, REALLY didn't earn Bobby throwing away his Black Book of Guilt. No way he pulls a 180 like that after simply praying with Athena. That was a potential storyline that could have been drawn out across S2. Plus, PK plays it beautifully so we're losing some great acting opportunities, perhaps to make room for new characters. But, apropos of nothing, I want to thank Ryan Murphy for creating a show that reflects and celebrates the diversity of America. We need that now more than ever.

• Love 2